• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Announcement Utilizing Promoted Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
Hey and Howdy, Nuzforums! Notice anything different? (⬆⬆⬆) Anything.... NEW? (⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆) That’s right, we having rotating banners in the adspace now! This is just a test. We’ll be opening discussion about this change in a week to see how everyone feels about it, and also see what y’all feel about some ideas floating around of how we’ll utilize it.

A big thanks to @Bowser's Family Vacation, @RandomTrainer, @CompleteWingback, @SnackyTheSylph, and @MouseWithADinosaurTailfor helping me with this. They stepped up to my request, and let us utilize their runs for this test.

Until next week, have fun and happy Nuzlocking!

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi and howdy everyone! It’s been a week, and I hope everyone has not only noticed the run banners in the adspace, but has had time to get a feel for how they feel about them.

Before we open up for discussion, I did want to address the matter of how the users chosen for the test were, well, chosen! I put up a random status about a week ago asking to see some banners, and waited to see who would reply. Once I had gotten a small sample size, I asked if they would be interested in contributing to this test!

Now, for discussion, we have a few questions we would like answered:
  1. Would you like us to use adspace to advertise runs on the forum? Why or why not?
  2. How do you feel about the ad size and placement? Are you on mobile or desktop?
  3. If we keep ads, the current idea is to accept submissions for banners from everyone every few months. Is this an acceptable process and time scale, or are there ways we could improve it?
  4. We’ve considered clearing out the current ad rotation at the end of ganza every year to keep the adspace current. How do you feel about this?
As always, follow all the forum rules in discussion, and keep on topic! And of course, if you have an opinion that is different from most or could be seen as negative we absolutely encourage you to share it, permitted it follows discussion and forum rules.

Thank you all for being here, we can’t wait to hear what you think!

Second

A Yu-Gi-Oh! Protagonist but in Real Life
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
They / Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon has a tendency to start many projects as they come to mind, but they tend to only finish projects other people have made deadlines for.
A dump of thoughts on the subject:
I didn't have one of the banners, so I don't know how effective or ineffective they were as ads for a run. I know I didn't click on any, but I also haven't read that many runs this past week, so your mileage may vary. That being said, I like the idea of using our adspace for that, especially if we have a decently large rotation. On both mobile and desktop I found the ad size to be fine, generally unobtrusive.

I would say I think submissions should be more frequent. Possibly monthly, rather than every few months? That would make it more accessible and feel less like there's been a massive opportunity missed every time a rotation is missed. Clearing the ad rotation yearly seems reasonable to me, as long as still-active runs can re-submit.

And now, a question: will there be any guidelines for what a banner can be? For example, I would be very annoyed if any of the banners were animated, or were different sizes from one another (for example, your own banner in your signature is more square-shaped than banner shaped, and wouldn't fit well). I'd prefer if there were guidelines, personally, but talking about what those guidelines should be is probably another worthwhile topic of conversation.

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
Before I properly answer the questions, I’d just like to say that I absolutely love this idea! It’s been really fun to see the banners of various runs, and I actually ended up reading a few new runs because of them! With that said...

1. Would you like us to use adspace to advertise runs on the forum? Why or why not?
    I saw go for it! It’s pretty unobtrusive as is, but it’s really neat to see some examples of runs that are happening around the forums. Currently, all the banners in rotation are the sameish size and aren’t animated, and I think it’s good to keep it that way. I also think that when submissions are opened up, guidelines on size should be made so that people know how large they should be making their banners.
  2. How do you feel about the ad size and placement? Are you on mobile or desktop?
    I think that size and placement is good right now! I do things on mobile and desktop, and I haven’t noticed any problems with them so far.
  3. If we keep ads, the current idea is to accept submissions for banners from everyone every few months. Is this an acceptable process and time scale, or are there ways we could improve it?
    I think doing new banner submissions every few months makes sense, especially to make sure the runs advertised aren’t abandoned/are still being worked on. A possible more specific time scale could be every three months/four times a year?
  4. We’ve considered clearing out the current ad rotation at the end of ganza every year to keep the adspace current. How do you feel about this?
I think that makes a lot of sense! If anything, I think that clearing out the adspace a second time sometime in the summer would help to keep the adspace current as well.

I have a question that I don’t think has been covered so far: After adspace has been cleared, will you be able to resubmit a banner for your run if it’s still active, or will submission be a “once per run” sort of thing?

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
I have a question that I don’t think has been covered so far: After adspace has been cleared, will you be able to resubmit a banner for your run if it’s still active, or will submission be a “once per run” sort of thing?
My idea was allowing users to submit their banners again however they wanted, and keep it simple. This can be subject to discussion however y’all want.

Fool

I'm Eltaba now.
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
Call me whatever you want.
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Rock
Pokédex Entry
Frequently criticizes inane video game plots, especially those involving spiky haired boys and cats.
From an aesthetical standpoint I don't mind them at all, and it honestly feels like they've always been there.

My personal recommendation would be to try and use it to spotlight lesser known runs, as that would help other users in getting interaction and critique.

Other than that, the Adspace is great, it's non-invasive imo, and I hope it continues to be used as a way for people to find new runs to read.

Chess

birds can't hurt me these shades are gucci
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Team Omega
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
They/Them/She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Grass
Pokédex Entry
can be bribed with shiny objects and spices to do household repairs. utterly incapable of many things, but does them anyway
Edit: the issues people (me included!) have had replying to this thread should hopefully be resolved by now, if not, let me know and I can fix them.

Last edited:

Rhema

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
I think utlizing adspace is a great idea! Using this to promote lesser known runs seems like an awesome way to help people gain readers, although obviously this requires them taking the initiative to have a banner made for their run. I also think that making it a monthly thing versus every several months will allow people more freedom to jump in when they can instead of having to wait a really long time to be able to advertise.

This may be a stupid question, but are we expected to pay for this adspace? Since that's, ya know, what's usually required to place an ad somewhere haha?

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This may be a stupid question, but are we expected to pay for this adspace? Since that's, ya know, what's usually required to place an ad somewhere haha?
No we are not charging for ad-space

MylesNew2Nuzlocke

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 2, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Grass
Pokédex Entry
His first name is Myles. Nobody knows (except his friends) his last name. He likes to be lazy. He cares if he dies.
Would you like us to use ad-space to advertise runs on the forum? Why or why not?
Yes, I would like you guys to use ad-space to advertise the runs on the forums please because as long it's just Nuzlocke runs, it's advertising and sponsoring our own Nuzlocke challenges which makes people proud.

How do you feel about the ad size and placement? Are you on mobile or desktop?
I feel that the ad size and placement is perfect because it's not in the forum posts and it's the perfect size. I'm on desktop.

If we keep ads, the current idea is to accept submissions for banners from everyone every few months. Is this an acceptable process and time scale, or are there ways we could improve it?
I would say there are ways to improve it like every one month you get rid of the current ads and then have space for new ads (I refresh a lot), and I noticed that only Fan Challenge Runs are the only advertised runs, maybe we can upload ads like for example, Nuzlocke Creative Content, Nuzlocke Events, or Nuzlocke Challenge Discussions (I'm casual about Nuzlockes).

We’ve considered clearing out the current ad rotation at the end of ganza every year to keep the adspace current. How do you feel about this?
I feel like that's not fine (sorry @Bug!) because should we remove the banners at the end of each month anyways?

And one final question about the ad-space ...

Question 3: If we keep ads, the current idea is to accept submissions for banners from everyone every few months. Is this an acceptable process and time scale, or are there ways we could improve it?

Does this mean two months or three months or longer (6 months or 7 months)?

Second

A Yu-Gi-Oh! Protagonist but in Real Life
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
They / Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon has a tendency to start many projects as they come to mind, but they tend to only finish projects other people have made deadlines for.
okay, so here's some thoughts i have on some discussion so far:
I do not want monthly submissions if ads are also being cleared monthly. That's too much pressure to resubmit something monthly, and then I'd prefer quarterly. I do want monthly submissons if ads are being cleared like, quarterly or yearly.

Reactions: Bug

hobohunter

Just the worst
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Honestly the adspace is fine. It's not intrusive when I don't care to look at it but it's also nice looking at it and seeing "oh that looks neat." Definitely prefer this to regular ads.

The only thing I would suggest is definitely get more runs into the mix. I'm sure you plan on doing that already. But eventually after seeing like the same 5 runs on repeat, it starts to get old.

MylesNew2Nuzlocke

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 2, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Grass
Pokédex Entry
His first name is Myles. Nobody knows (except his friends) his last name. He likes to be lazy. He cares if he dies.
okay, so here's some thoughts i have on some discussion so far:
I do not want monthly submissions if ads are also being cleared monthly. That's too much pressure to resubmit something monthly, and then I'd prefer quarterly.
I do want monthly submissons if ads are being cleared like, quarterly or yearly.
Dear @Second,

I politely disagree on the "I do not want monthly submissions if ads are also being cleared monthly. That's too much pressure to resubmit something monthly, and then I'd prefer quarterly", because even though there's a little pressure, people (like me) finish, lose or forget about their runs in under a month.

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
I think monthly submissions make sense, but I don’t think that monthly clearing does, since ultimately submitting a banner for use in adspace would just become a chore that you need to remember to do every month. I do think that clearing will be appreciated, but I think it makes more sense to do it quarterly or bianually- that way the adspace still has relevant runs but it’s a bit more forgiving about submitting your banner and having it up for a decent period of time

Winterspheonix

Comic Secret Hoarder
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2019
Pokémon Type
Flying, Ice
Would you like us to use adspace to advertise runs on the forum? Why or why not?

I think this is potentially a very good idea in concept! Let's some advertising happen between a ton of runs which could really help people out. I do have my own concerns about this though, but I will get into that later on. However, I will say the pros is the visibility since I got into one of my fave webcomics from an ad similar to what we see here!!

Usually desktop over here (mobile is very hard for me to navigate and deal with so I simply avoid it). But i think the placement is fine, the add could be a tad bigger but generally nice and non intrusive.

If we keep ads, the current idea is to accept submissions for banners from everyone every few months. Is this an acceptable process and time scale, or are there ways we could improve it?

EDIT: I WAS GIVEN CLARIFICATION SO CHANGED THIS ANSWER

Okay this is where my concerns start coming up. Rotations to me is the big deal breaker or deal sealer. Because (and we are back about ganza about this sorry) I want to see a lot of new/unseen nuzlockes be posted as well as ganza winners. Of course the randomness does worry me, so I do propose that its one banner per user. That way its an even chance for everyone! (I dot know that's slightly contraversial but I think it's pretty important to ensure everyone has even chance to have their work displayed, especially if its random.)

There is a worry since its random that the generate might just like another one more out of pure RNG.... Which is why maybe rotational sounded better cause otherwise someone might not get any period.... which is my one concern. (It's a small one but I think its important, like I was informed there were 8 runs and I've never seen the other 2 ever (so ive only seen 6/8. So its a minor flaw but a flaw nevertheless that could be a problem. Is it big enough to change it? Probably not, but it's enough to mention.)

We’ve considered clearing out the current ad rotation at the end of ganza every year to keep the adspace current. How do you feel about this?
So I think if the rotation is good, I dont mind a refresh yearly. I assume this means that you only need to post your banner once per year and its in the rotation, and there are several submitting periods in which you can to accommodate new users (this is good yes I agree). Basically roational is my big worry, so I dont mind it being refreshed yearly.

Alrighty I'm done see yall later~~~

Last edited:

Polymori

A Hot Mess
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon has an over-active imagination and creates more stories than any sane person should.
Finally getting around to this, but over all full support on my end!
Additional thoughts:

Would you like us to use adspace to advertise runs on the forum? Why or why not?
Yes! This is a great opportunity for lesser known works get a bit of a spotlight and draw in more readers. Pretty great for those who don't have a lot of forum presence or a lot of readers.

I think the size works perfectly. Like other's have stated, I believe having a specific size in pixels should be implemented. No larger or smaller. This will help ensure that the banners remain unobtrusive (In the case of larger) and also not easily over looked (in the case of being smaller). The size implemented right now is super perfect actually. I have used both mobile (tablet, not phone), and desktop.

An idea: Idk how workable this would be in practice, but in theory what if people could submit every month or every other month. Then the banners could be rotated for the month that new submissions are not being offered. This would stagger things and allow mods to make sure that banners fit the guidelines without the additional stress of also having to toss them up. Additionally, as fun as RNG is, I think the banners should also show up in a rotation rather than randomized, if possible. @Winterspheonix sums up the reason why spectacularly well.
If every other month is too much, every quarter would work well, but I think only if there is a larger pool of comics on the adspace. Gives people time to read the ones they liked and find more until the next quarter.

This works, but I feel clearing out quarterly might work better. Gives more people a chance to see more comics and that the same ones aren't in rotation so long that it becomes background ambiance and end up over-looking any new comics that have been added to the rotation. But clearing out all rotations every year after ganza is a good idea as well. Allowing people to make new, updated banners, and possibly abandoned lockes arent in the rotation so ones that are still active can get a time to shine.

Last edited:

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.

Yes. Is good.

Is good on both.

By god, make the submission period more often! You don't want folks (especially folks advertising new runs) to have to wait an impossibly long time to get their banner featured!

I like that exact timeframe! I think it's fine if some abandoned runs are still in the banner rotation. I assume there will be so many banners in rotation that they won't appear that often, and even if an abandoned run is left there, all that happens is an interested person clicks into the thread, sees it's canceled, and moves on with their day. Not a big deal. I've seen talk about clearing out the ads monthly- Do. Not. Hecking. Do. That. Having to resubmit every month would be annoying to the extreme.

TerryTheTeryx

Gen Z Degenerate
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Steel
Pokédex Entry
A bizarre Pokémon who dislikes many social activities. She appears to have a penchant for peanut butter and foreign languages.
I really, really like it! It's good to get little-known runs out into the open.
It does seem a little on the small side, but I regularly use both mobile and desktop and both seem fine to me.
I think being able to submit monthly rather than ~quarterly would be good, like others have said.
Also like others have said, I think clearing them quarterly or every 6 or so months would be good, since yearly seems a bit long imo.

Last edited:

Winterspheonix

Comic Secret Hoarder
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2019
Pokémon Type
Flying, Ice
Finally getting around to this, but over all full support on my end!
Additional thoughts:

Yes! This is a great opportunity for lesser known works get a bit of a spotlight and draw in more readers. Pretty great for those who don't have a lot of forum presence or a lot of readers.

I think the size works perfectly. Like other's have stated, I believe having a specific size in pixels should be implemented. No larger or smaller. This will help ensure that the banners remain unobtrusive (In the case of larger) and also not easily over looked (in the case of being smaller). The size implemented right now is super perfect actually. I have used both mobile (tablet, not phone), and desktop.

An idea: Idk how workable this would be in practice, but in theory what if people could submit every month or every other month. Then the banners could be rotated for the month that new submissions are not being offered. This would stagger things and allow mods to make sure that banners fit the guidelines without the additional stress of also having to toss them up. Additionally, as fun as RNG is, I think the banners should also show up in a rotation rather than randomized, if possible. @Winterspheonix sums up the reason why spectacularly well.
If every other month is too much, every quarter would work well, but I think only if there is a larger pool of comics on the adspace. Gives people time to read the ones they liked and find more until the next quarter.

This works, but I feel clearing out quarterly might work better. Gives more people a chance to see more comics and that the same ones aren't in rotation so long that it becomes background ambiance and end up over-looking any new comics that have been added to the rotation. But clearing out all rotations every year after ganza is a good idea as well. Allowing people to make new, updated banners, and possibly abandoned lockes arent in the rotation so ones that are still active can get a time to shine.

I agree with a lot of your points there~~~

But I also think theres no perfect solution for this either.

Last edited:

Polymori

A Hot Mess
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon has an over-active imagination and creates more stories than any sane person should.
I agree with a lot of your points there~~~

But I also think theres no perfect solution for this either.
IDK if i was exactly clear. By rotation i mean instead of the banners being:
Banner A, Banner, C, Banner B, Banner C, Banner C. Randomized.
It would be:
Banner A, Banner B, Banner C, Banner A, Banner B, etc, thus on a rotation :O

But agreed, it might need more modding than I'm aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)