• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Comic Kanto Mon Untraveled Road - A Randomized Leafgreen Nuzlocke (IT'S BACK!!!)

Thread Description
A comic based on a nuzlocke run of a randomized LeafGreen game. Follow Alice and her team as they explore a crazy, unpredictable world! Last updated on 7/7/2020
C

Cas

oh my god Surge's hair! I read the comment before I saw the page, and good lord. someone get the man a razor. I love that new dress, though! she's rocking it. I wonder what kind of spectacular battle she'll have, though.

Mapsal

Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 11, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cas said:
oh my god Surge's hair! I read the comment before I saw the page, and good lord. someone get the man a razor. I love that new dress, though! she's rocking it. I wonder what kind of spectacular battle she'll have, though.
I hope you won't be too dissapointed to learn that she will be wearing the dress only for the next couple of pages...

As for the spectacular battle, you can see its first part right now, since Page 62 is up!

A

Aozora

YYYOOOOOOO MAPS *tumbling in excitedly* Congrats for the run's feature in featurette!

Also Barry has Sacred Fire? Dang, get rekt Wobbuffet, and the rival I forgot your name. Y'all don't stand a chance against Alice.

Mapsal

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 11, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Hello everyone!
You've noticed a lack of pages over the past month or so, due to my exams.

Exams are over and I've been working on new pages, so weekly updates resume this Sunday!

Mapsal

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 11, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
New page is up!

From now on, it'll be one new page per week, which is an update schedule I can keep consistently. Hope everyone is ok with it?

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
One page per week seems perfectly fine!
Well, if you wanted spectacular, Barry certainly has that covered. Cute, overeager bug.

Mapsal

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 11, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Barry is best bug.

Page 64 is up!

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
Mmmm, a battlefield surrounded by electricity is kind of scary. I mean, there have been a lot of weird, dangerous things thus far, but this is still pretty intimidating.

Mapsal

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 11, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Glad you think so!

Also, I forgot to put the new page up on Sunday, so here it is now!

Mapsal

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 11, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Hey everyone, a new page is up! And it's not even late this time!

S

Solar Zero

Like a flash from the blue, it's time for a Solar Review! =D

Sorry I didn't get this one out sooner, life tends to drag you out of the way sometimes. Sometimes even into realities that aren't like your own, you dig? Well, maybe not you, but I'm sure Alice has got that covered. The story here is much different than you'd come to expect of random runs, with our lovely protag Alice being a not only a seasoned trainer, but also surviving a few runs that one would consider aren't that survivable (Gotta go look at that Zombie run someday) and being thrust into a world that barely makes sense to her. What sense to make you ask? How about regional climate changes upon almost every route and town, and that's just a bit of a taste to what you get right from the first chapter of pages.

Okay, so the story is pretty well written, with very little instances that can bother a person. Some pages will have very little to read, others feel like a wall of text and exposition, but the way the pages are presented makes up for that. Almost any page you take a look at shows how much care and thought our creator here puts into their work. Along with that, character interactions are nicely done and have a good sense of real banter. Each character has their own personality and the others interpret and react respectively (Or in the case of some, dis-respectively). My only quip or dislike is that at times when exposition happens, you end up with a lot of white space, as well as Vaarsuvius text which is somewhat hard to read early on. But overall the story works and it leaves you wanting to know more of the lore, and maybe even hear about some of Alice's backstory from her previous trials and experiences.

But this isn't a written story, this is a comic! So let's give a bit of a nod to that. For what I can give you, I very much love your artistic sense. The characters are brought to life vividly in beautiful colors, being a mixture of what I believe is markers and color pencils I believe. Proportions are well done for each Pokemon and human we have and the scenery... I am always in awe with each new place we get taken to. Not only that, but our gates between areas as well. I won't say more to avoid spoilers, but just seeing the gates is more than enough of a reason to give this a look. My minor irk here is that the battles are pretty short, but in a randomized world, I expect a lot of one shots. Also, I don't recall really seeing when you got your diglet. But I can be blind at times and just not remember right.

As a whole, I'll say this comic is solid and I hope to see more in the future. For those coming in now, I say keep an open mind and question just how the multiverse works. You never know what kind of ideas you'll get on your own.

Mapsal

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 11, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Thank you very much for the great and helpful review, Solar!

Also, page 70 is up!

Mapsal

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 11, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pages 71 & 72 are up!

Now with nice rectangular panels!

Mapsal

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 11, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Page 73 is up! Chapter 4 is over!

S

Sir Cottonee

Hey, Maps! I've been meaning to read this but there's nothing like a legally-binding contract to force me into it. And what better time than right after Chapter 4 is complete! Hope this was helpful!

- I like the cover! Really digging that spooky weird mysterious vibe. Did you use marker in this? For coloured pencil alone this is some really nice colour blending.
- Wereoak. Okay. Way to start a comic off. Expecting some more weird vibes after this.
- Oh, Seedot! Just like Seedlocke! ...Shame about the whole 'no moves' thing.
- Zombie apolcaypse? Smells like a prequel I'll probably get to reading in 1,000,000 years...
- TELEPORTING SALAMENCE YES
- Oh nevermind, you randomized moves too? That's cool. Definitely love that image of Seedot Outraging a Salamence.
- Oh, Seedot didn't talk because it didn't have a mouth. Duh. Also, I just realized you didn't... name it? Or your main character? I guess I could figure these out if I checked that prequel...
- Cool lore, I like how you use a different colours for the character's speech bubbles.
- And it's at this point that I realize she has a nose-bandaid from getting bopped by Seedot. Hey, my main character had a nose-bandaid too! Bandaid twins!
- Really like the image of the frozen wasteland. Makes the randomness feel crazier... I hope at some point there's an explanation for why things are this way...
- Oof. [MATURE] it is.
- Ooh, this Tyrogue looks pretty cool. Interesting to see a narrator pop outta nowhere.
- Oh... I guess she caught that flying rocket-like Diglett at some point? Actually, it kinda reminds me of a bullet... I guess it sacrificed itself though. ;-;
- Ooh, good to show some wounds. Also RIP Nitress...
- Weird how Joy knows all of this... also I'm glad your MC has another human to talk to other than the jerky rival and the tree.
- Ah, so she traveled to this dimension (and game) through a rift... I usually would prefer it if these things weren't explained but this is fine.
- What the hell, Joy.
====
- Alice!
- So... I guess she's in a different dimension now, one with Pewter City (which looks pretty friggin' cool). Reminds me of some video game I haven't played.
- Side-note: blue-on-blue doesn't look good. Daphne's text is hard to read.
- Hmm... weird to see a satellite dish in this kind of medieval-looking fantasy setting.
- So Gym Leaders are kinda like gatekeepers? That's pretty cool.
- Hmm, I bet Outrage replaced some low-level move like Scratch or something.
- I friggin' love Loudred.
- Pff, your classic pebble scenario. Of course, this is total BS because Brock ordered his pokemon to attack, and Alice's pokemon were on the defensive the entire time.
- I wonder if Daphne knows something Alice doesn't...
- Looooove floating pieces of earth. Great scenery.
- Hah, I love that bit with Sunkern. :kern:
- Even if moves and typings(?) weren't randomized this would still make sense.
- Spooky mask.
- Some nice character development for Tyrogue. Figures the grass-types would outvote him 2-1.
- Nuzleaf's little cheer is fun. Guess those mysterious figures were TR after all... I wonder what their role will be in all this?
====
- Pff, I love how bored everyone is with a relatively normal setting.
- Alright, there's no way you can convince me a Charizard would be scared of Ledian. Actually, you kinda drew them like Beedrill....
- HITMONLEEEEEEE
- Ooh, I like how you draw Charizard.
- Right back to fantasy stuff. Dragons and labyrinthes. Ye.
- Flaaffy's reactions are priceless.
- "Look, if you can't handle losing, don't challenge people to battles!" Words to live by.
- I love Charizard + Sunkern. They're cute together.
- Oh look, it's your avatar. In fancy .gif form.
- I'm digging the conflict between Glaedr/Vaarsuvius - it's especially funny because it's your classic Dragon/Wizard rivalry.
- Does that make sense? You could totally have building foundations above the tunnels - it'd actually be cool to have some basements lead into the underground.
- I *MIGHT'VE* preferred actually seeing Alice & Co. wander around the city before first getting to the hotel but ehh, whatever.
- How is Hitmonlee the weakest anything?!
- Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen Vaarsuvius do anything particularly powerful...
- ...It's still creepy. Pushing someone into a hole filled with water...
- Ooh, Alice's suit does stuff! And I thought it was just for show.
- I might've preferred it if you included it all in one post (or reserved some posts near the beginning of the thread) but I get it.
====
- Hyper Ninjask. Not the most original thing, but ehh... should liven things up a bit.
- Poor Sunkern...
- Oh wait, Barry. I just got that.
- I'm so used to doing Bill before Misty I forgot you could see him after.
- Is that Daphne? I'm sorry, I can't tell :x
- I've noticed your colouring looks a bit scratchier here... it's good to make your style look unique and I think Charizard in particular looks GREAT in this style but yeah... I wonder if there's any particular reason for it?
- Oh hey, plot time.
- Cool info on the team. I love that Ninjask is the second youngest. Reincarnation, for Nuzleaf in particular is also interesting... it'd be interesting if they ended up doing at some point...
- Y'know, come to think of it - Charizard really is pretty high and mighty for someone who was scared of a bunch of Ledian.
- I like these moving pictures a little better than Vaar's first appearance.
- Barry's still my favourite.
- I don't know what's the deal with the S.S. Anne and these big tournament things.
- I really wanna say "Cloud of a Thousand Daggers Leaves" is really just Magical Leaf. Also I just realized Vaar's probably a Gardevoir. I just assumed he was a Gallade, for some reason. Garde's definitely the mage type.
- Oh, Surge actually has an electric type. Neato.
- Oh, Magneton's actually levitating. Neato.
- That's a good battle tactic - there hasn't been a ton of "complex" fights in Untraveled Road so far but this one's pretty nice.
- Oh god, another typically "hyper" pokemon. Doesn't seem like that's what Igor's gonna be, though.
- Wall fishing! Yeah!
- flaaaaaaashback
- Mm, Vaar just teleports everyone away to hide secrets about Alice's past. Alright.
- Pretty hype-worthy ending - the lack of colour and smaller panel definitely make it feel like something special.
Let's start with things I like! I usually force myself to enjoy hand-drawn stuff as well as stuff that can commit to being updated on a schedule, so good on yah! I also appreciate the extra effort put in to make a few neat .gifs - the first one, with Vaarsuvius' reveal was probably the least effective, with the drastic opaque/colour thing... on the bright side, they've only gotten better from there! As I said, I really like some of the colour blends for the backgrounds. And the fantasy setting is top-notch - it's super chaotic and fun (as randomized nuzlockes should be) and it always feels like there's somewhere new and interesting to explore. You know you're getting into something crazy when there's these huge icicles coming out of the ground and ice golems running about in Route 2. Also some wonderful character designs - Vaarsuvius and Alice are especially fancy and Glaedr reminds me of Smaug.

The stuff I didn't like... your artstyle's a mixed bag for me. Your cover's actually a good example of this... Alice is in a dynamic pose and all (actually, the image is made pretty dynamic by the yellow-brick road) but there's a lot of weird anatomy things that are pretty jarring. Right arm's super long, body's weirdly limp in a way that I don't think she could be standing, snake-like right leg, curly fingers, and the like. Tyrogue and Sunkern also look pretty out of place - like afterthoughts. I do like how you try to put them in interesting and dynamic poses and there's a certain "looseness" that works for it but when I see some awesome drawings of Vaar and Glaedr I really wish the whole comic could be kind of "epic" and "fantastic" like that. Also, I noticed you've changed the text bubbles from scribbly outlines (which I liked) to computer-generated ones - as well as some fancy purple text for Vaar - this is just personal preference, but I don't like that. There's always a little struggle with mixing traditional drawing with digital stuff and I lean towards the first one. It's particularly awkward in, say, Page 54 where it looks like you cut a lot of room for text. Some of the other bendy text feels a little unplanned and looks kinda cheesy where it's not supposed to be cheesy? I also feel that it jumps around a lot... I pointed out that I wished that we could actually see Alice wandering the labyrinth and that kind of applies to everything... it feels like Alice & Co. are moving through so fast that we never really get to stop and take in some of the amazing settings. It jumps around to the point where it's borderline confusing - again, I get it kind of works with the crazy and chaotic vibe you have but it feels a little wasted to me. It feels like you don't leave a lot of room for exposition and it's hard to stay hooked and feel a connection towards the story. There's a few slower moments like that spot near the end of Chapter 1 where Daphne was explaining stuff to Alice and I liked that - I kind of wish there were more scenes like that.

Aagh, looking back at it the "bad" paragraph's probably about twice as long as the "good" paragraph... I don't think it's a bad comic overall, though! It's just a little off from my personal tastes. I think me from a few years back would've really liked this. There's a lot of good stuff here, and your efforts definitely show. Great work!

Mapsal

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 11, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
EDIT: Pages 84-88 are up!

EDIT: Pages 79-83 are up!

A new chapter has begun! Pages 74-78 are up!

Also, I want to give a big (if late) thanks to Sir Cottonee for that great review! I did take some of the criticisms at heart, and they affected my work on the comic ever since. Especially in terms of pace. You will notice that the group is going to spend more time in each place from now on - and they might even revisit previous places that they didn't spend much time on.

In any case, that's all from me for now. Hope y'all enjoy the new pages!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Bug

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
I’M BAAAAAAACK, AND SO ARE YOOOOOOOU!! Ugh, i seriously love the zany scenery in this comic I CANNOT get enough of it. The whole premise is just a wonderful setup for going wild with whatever fantasy you want pretty much whenever, because it doesn’t HAVE to make sense, it can just look cool. I love that. I love that SO much.

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
Got the spark for something really cool for you when I heard this song!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)