• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Eight of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode bids adieu to another story and welcomes in a new one. Protagonists also star in our discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Comic Alola Teen Mon Undertow - A Moon Nuzlocke

Thread Description
Updates on Fridays

Alba Corbina

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
I love what you did with Inceneroar's design. It looks way more like it's part of the same evolutionary line as Litten and Torracat, now.

pkmnMasterWheeler

Conqueror of the Mahogany Gym
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Cute
Ah, I see you are a trainer of culture, picking Popplio, objective best Alola starter!~ Also if anything happened to that pure Raichu I may have to make Tapu Fini my new least favorite Pokemon >:o

~takes notes on how you draw Incineroar for when I have to draw Hau's~

Riboo

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Riboo's Musings

So given this is a Nuzlocke, we all already saw this coming XD Of course Fox was eventually going to end up with Kai, there was little doubt about that, though I suppose the other option was if he was KO'd this early in run that he would have ended up with another trainer just to get him out of the story, buuuut, that would have sucked and I think I would have reset and redid the run if that was the case.

Also, first teammate? First teammate! Honestly love Alolan Rattata, look at their mustaches, just LOOK AT THEM. How could you not enjoy having that little mouse on your team?

Hope you guys have a good weekend!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh man.

Please don't show us Babu Kai getting wiped except you totally should for more sympathy points
*Wiggles brows* No worries.... for now.

Oh no... what happened to baby Kai's raichu and incineroar?
:V c Hm.... even I don't know (Wait, no, I know > W>)

Oh my gosh, baby Kai!!! Certainly didn't expect to see that, and already with just a tiny glimpse I'm so intrigued about Kai's backstory. Why did Tapu Fini reject him, and was that why he ended up in Team Skull? What happened to his Incineroar and Raichu? I'm so excited to see more! (Plus, that perspective on that middel panel is amazing, with Tapu Fini looking down at Kai both literally and figuratively)

Also.....
All these questions.... they will be answered some day ;3

ALSO, *Breaths in* >:D HELL YEAH I'M STILL HYPE ABOUT THIS FAN ART, LOOK AT THIS FINE ASS QUALITY PINKY OUT SHIT FOLKS, LOOOOOOOK!

Oooh, the deep lore.

Only the deepest - w-

This image tickles the DNDer in me, check Kai out, proudly proclaiming that, "Yes, indeed, he's SURE he wants to do this!"

Ough a little baby boy..
Also i love how you draw pokemon. Raichu and inceneroar looking cute as hell!
*Cri* Everything I draw ends up being cute somehow!

But hey, quality Raichu (Raichu bein' my fav 'mon and all<3)

Gosh what on earth happened with Tapu Fini!!!!???
Fufufu, time will tell, friend-o > W>

What... What happened to the two good babies Kai had? Where did the good babies go?

feed the child the flesh of the fallen
the circle of life
The circle..... it is... COMPLETE

Is that??? Baby Kai???

Well, one thing is clear. Tapu Fini is...
Man, those looming perspective shots, always giving shit away >:V

On the one hand, I'm really digging this Incineroar design and how it fixes the wonky proportions Mancat has in game.

On the other hand, neither of those mons being there anymore means...something happened here. Sure remember Hapu being at those same ruins ingame and it going well, so that sure feels like some big, fat REEEEEE UNWORTHY by one fey guardian, huh? Going back to the speculation station now~
At the end of the day, no one's really worthy :P

I love what you did with Inceneroar's design. It looks way more like it's part of the same evolutionary line as Litten and Torracat, now.
Oh man, yeah the design of Inceneroar drove me crazy initially @- @ Somethin' about it standin' straight on two legs, then I'm over here looking at Galar like (Most of the final evos are like that!) I'm in redesign hell.

Ah, I see you are a trainer of culture, picking Popplio, objective best Alola starter!~ Also if anything happened to that pure Raichu I may have to make Tapu Fini my new least favorite Pokemon >:o

~takes notes on how you draw Incineroar for when I have to draw Hau's~
Hell yeah, flipper out when it comes to that fine starter shit ;3 I woulda gone for Litten if not for what it became, not a big fan of its final evo visually as is in game :l

Well, this is officially my first fan art. I am not sorry.

Man, this shit is like... foreshadowing doom and shit.

(I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Last edited:

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Doesn't actually like birds all that much.
Oh lordy Kukui is so exuberant about this whole thing. I love that little three panel sequence of him carrying a screaming Kai with a brief interruption for cool mustache rattata. And in the end, it's Lillie who gets to play babysitter for this grown man returning to baby school. This is going to go splendidly.

Alex_Nidas

I'm lazy and I'm proud
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Sightings of them in the wild are rare, as they prefer to stay indoors with their art tablet and little siblings.
incoherent screaming
"Hey wait, I'm hungry!"
incoherent screaming while standing in the drive thru

moonfly

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 25, 2020
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Has never heard of a work schedule, so either writes three chapters in a day or one in three weeks. Invite to a DnD game to instantly befriend.
I love how Kukui instantly summons whenever a trial is mentioned. I wonder if he personally visits every Alola resident who has a free trial expire

Tailsimp

A Universally Under-Rested University Imp
🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
Idk what's funnier: the idea that Kukui is summoned from wherever he was when someone mentions trials, or that he was just there behind the couch, waiting to hear Kai mention taking them.

feraligatr

Lizard Breath™
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 31, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Isn't clever enough to come up with a creative username, so just uses the name of favorite pokemon instead
Holy shit I'm dying everything about this is beautiful. I love all the little chibi panels!

Also what happened to the pikipek you caught? Did i miss something ghdhddh

oliviamakesanart

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Obsessed with cowboy hats
Oh this page. This page. This is so so good. I live for fun character interactions and quirks. I'm weak for Kai and Fox's interaction at the beginning, and how excited Fox is to do the trials. It's nice to see the jolly upbeat Kukui we all know and love, and I like that he's nicer to Kai now that Kai's doing the trials (was he waiting behind the couch for his cue, or is he actually summoned by mentions of the trials? We may never know)
The three panels of running/screaming and then pausing for a Rattata are hilarious. Speaking of, new teammate get! I love how you draw her, her moustache and rat snoot are adorable. I'm excited to see more of her personality and how she'll fit on the team with Kai and Fox! I'm also excited for the prospect of more Lillie and Kai interactions because I adore their dynamic.

Empty Sun

that's right, buttholes
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pokémon Type
Normal, ???
Pokédex Entry
It might eat you. It might your relatives.
are you saying you don't want to be carried by a big strong man
also, cool-ass ratatta becomes fat-ass raticate lmao

TheLastUnicornInOz

Alolan Vulpix in the Desert
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 14, 2020
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Sarah, while living in a hot dessert enviornment, embraces the ice typing, rarely leaving her cool home and often is drawing or creating
"What am I 11" You mean what i say everytime I open up a pokemon game???? But for real I am glad to see another crew member!! Here's to no one dying anytime soon!!

antingaround

nicole
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pokémon Type
Normal
Pokédex Entry
pretty chill, actually.
aww, you drew ratatta in a very very cute way, enough to make me maybe reconsider hating the stupid trash gremlin with a burning passio- nope, still despise its evo's design
and lmao kukui really did the equivalent of dropping off his child at the daycare huh

Velink

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 27, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Didn't this dude go all the way to Tapu Fini's shrine before the series started??
He has to repeat all the way from the trainer school again?

I wonder what happened to his previous acchivement? they are nullified?

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Kai's not wrong about Kukui being... something else. His exuberance–and apparently upper body strength—are clearly out of this world!

TheLastUnicornInOz

Alolan Vulpix in the Desert
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 14, 2020
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Sarah, while living in a hot dessert enviornment, embraces the ice typing, rarely leaving her cool home and often is drawing or creating
*slides in and yeets this in your general direction*

Riboo

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Riboo's Musings

During work on the script for the comic, I thought about outright skipping the trainer school just because it was pretty patronizing to the player, I know it serves as an introduction to certain aspects of Pokemon, but it also felt intrusive, as did most of Melemele Island. I played Pokemon as a kid and understood the mechanics and how the game was supposed to work through a simple and effective introduction.

In RBY Your rival battles you, which services to introduce the very core of the series, then you later get an item to deliver to professor Oak, which shows you that you can get and give items as well as receive OTHER items, this helps with later things like the gold teeth you find in the Safari Zone. Then, on the very first route, a guy is giving out samples of potions to trainers, this shows you that there's items you can use to heal your Pokemon outside a Pokemon center. Then there's the old man lying in the road, eventually teaching you how to catch Pokemon. From there, everything needed to complete the game is taught to the player, and the only part that really FEELS like the tutorial is showing is the old man. One can also argue that you can bypass the potions guy without ever knowing he gives you one, but potions aren't NEEDED to complete the game, they're optional, as is talking to him.

Everything works into itself fairly naturally, while current iterations of the game feel the need to overly make sure you understand and get everything, mostly to the point that its very painful. Take Hop's in battle dialog for example, he almost ALWAYS says something about type match ups, even well into the game, even Leon DURING the championship match, makes a match up comment, which sounds very condescending to the player at that point. There's no need to continue to reaffirm that when you, as the player, learn by a visual indicator (the health bar) how effective your moves are proving to be. It ALSO ALSO doesn't help much that the newer games will mark how effective a move is before you use it, so the character dialog is just superfluous at that point.

Welp.... mini rant had, whoops. Anyway! What I was going for is: Patronizing school? Yes. That working effectively in terms of what's going on for Kai? Also yes.

Have a good weekend everyone :V

Oh lordy Kukui is so exuberant about this whole thing. I love that little three panel sequence of him carrying a screaming Kai with a brief interruption for cool mustache rattata. And in the end, it's Lillie who gets to play babysitter for this grown man returning to baby school. This is going to go splendidly.
Surely nothing will go wrong here, its just another ordinary day in the paradise that is Alola, what ever are you talking about :V c

incoherent screaming
"Hey wait, I'm hungry!"
incoherent screaming while standing in the drive thru
Fuckin' mood an' a half when I'm hangry as fuck, bro XD

I love how Kukui instantly summons whenever a trial is mentioned. I wonder if he personally visits every Alola resident who has a free trial expire

Trials are serious fuckin' business in Alola, don't EVEN mess!

Idk what's funnier: the idea that Kukui is summoned from wherever he was when someone mentions trials, or that he was just there behind the couch, waiting to hear Kai mention taking them.

Holy shit I'm dying everything about this is beautiful. I love all the little chibi panels!

Also what happened to the pikipek you caught? Did i miss something ghdhddh
Nah bro, you didn't miss a thing. I do explain it later on, but I basically didn't do the whole thing where every 'mon Kai catches early on automatically becomes a team member. By the time I caught more Pokemon? I wasn't finding myself interested in raising Pikipek as it was already falling behind the rest of the group and I wasn't willing to grind. That being said, they'll have some story relevance, no worry.

Oh this page. This page. This is so so good. I live for fun character interactions and quirks. I'm weak for Kai and Fox's interaction at the beginning, and how excited Fox is to do the trials. It's nice to see the jolly upbeat Kukui we all know and love, and I like that he's nicer to Kai now that Kai's doing the trials (was he waiting behind the couch for his cue, or is he actually summoned by mentions of the trials? We may never know)
The three panels of running/screaming and then pausing for a Rattata are hilarious. Speaking of, new teammate get! I love how you draw her, her moustache and rat snoot are adorable. I'm excited to see more of her personality and how she'll fit on the team with Kai and Fox! I'm also excited for the prospect of more Lillie and Kai interactions because I adore their dynamic.
Aw, thanks for the super kind comment man, really hits me in that blackened heart of mine. Honestly, there's a lot of interactions I can't wait to show off, thoooough you getting a sneaky look already ;3 So you'll def be seein' a good chunk of what I'm excited about soon enough.

are you saying you don't want to be carried by a big strong man
also, cool-ass ratatta becomes fat-ass raticate lmao
Heh, but who doesn't love its dumb fat cheeks? Its pretty much Kai's MO to like dumb shit like that, cause he's trash and everyone knows it.

"What am I 11" You mean what i say everytime I open up a pokemon game???? But for real I am glad to see another crew member!! Here's to no one dying anytime soon!!
PSH, MOOD, BIG MOOD

I ranted a bit on that, but ho crap, are the Pokemon games just getting more and more patronizing as they go. Kids aren't STUPID guys, come on. Its like these devs don't know what kids are like at all.

aww, you drew ratatta in a very very cute way, enough to make me maybe reconsider hating the stupid trash gremlin with a burning passio- nope, still despise its evo's design
and lmao kukui really did the equivalent of dropping off his child at the daycare huh
Consider.... Everstones :V

Didn't this dude go all the way to Tapu Fini's shrine before the series started??
He has to repeat all the way from the trainer school again?

I wonder what happened to his previous acchivement? they are nullified?
*Zips lip*

Kai's not wrong about Kukui being... something else. His exuberance–and apparently upper body strength—are clearly out of this world!
No one can compete with THOSE galloping abs.... ('Cept Moth's Lehua)

All the way back to school. Why, prof, aren't we pettily grabbing the lowest hanging of turorial fruits today? :v:
Pf, wonder what that says about Kai when he could snatch him up so easily. That man is truly TERRIFYING

*slides in and yeets this in your general direction*

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, I know I commented about this already, but STILL, HOW DARE YOU<33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 *Dies of love overdose*

oliviamakesanart

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Obsessed with cowboy hats
PAGE 15! GIVE IT UP FOR PAGE 15!
I love Lillie hyping herself up to deal with Kai, only to turn around and see him with stolen mcdonalds but hey, mans gotta do what a mans gotta do to get food. And oooo look, new team member!! I love this sly cat and his round snoot, and his absolutely 100% foolproof method of trying to guilt food out of Kai. In his defence, though, probably doesn't meet humans who can talk to Pokemon everyday, and I love when the language barrier between Pokemon and humans is acknowledged xD
I also really like that the trainer school plays a part and lends really well to the situation Kai's in - usually I find Alola nuzlockes just acknowledge the school out of obligation, but here, the patronizing nature of being forced to partake in classes lends really well to how Kai is being treated by everyone. That's the good writing stuff 👌

Velink

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 27, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
I wonder what this cat gonna be named, I hope it is not its favorite word of the page
lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)