• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Ultra Moon Wedlocke, because I hate myself (12/25) Part 27: THE ELITE FOUR

P

pikasphere

You like the logo? I pride myself on my MS Paint skills, thanks.

Welcome, everyone. Welcome to my wedlocke of what I think is the hardest mainline Pokemon game in the series. That's right, I really do think this game is harder than Platinum, at least if you forego all the OP stuff like I am. And yet here I am doing a wedlocke of it like a jackass-- but it's okay, because me and failure are old friends who go way back.

With that said, this Wedlocke will have some modified rules, most notably allowing various gender pairings. Have a look at the rules for full details, and enjoy.
Main
1. Fainted = dead
2. One catch per area
3. Nickname theme = music genres/styles. I'm using this list primarily.
4. No healing items, X items, or Rotom items in battle.
5. Battle style is SWITCH.
6. Exp Share is OFF.
7. Max Pokemon Refresh level is 2; this gives boosted experience and nothing else.

Wedlocke
1. Pokemon will pair with another and can only switch with each other in battle. (standard rules here)
2. Pokemon have gender preferences. Their preference is the gender of their first partner. Once a preference is given, that pokemon can only pair up according to that preference.
3. Genderless pokemon can pair with anyone and anyone can pair with genderless pokemon.
4. If a pokemon's first partner is genderless, then that pokemon's preference is any gender.

Encounters
1. Dupes clause: I ignore pokemon of the same evolutionary line if I've encountered them already.
2. Gift clause: Pokemon received from NPCs do not count for that area's encounter.
3. Shiny clause: Shiny pokemon are free.
3a. Only one shiny Pokemon from Ultra Space is allowed due to their relatively high encounter rate.
4. Pinwheel clause: Distinct subareas of an area count as their own. Will be specified during the run.
5. Static encounters are allowed and count as that area's catch.
6. I am allowed to trade pokemon with NPCs, but only if I have the required pokemon as a legitimate encounter.
7. I can choose only ONE of Samson Oak's totem-sized pokemon. Dupes clause applies.
8. Any Pokemon in an SOS chain can be caught.

Miscellaneous
1. The run ends after defeating Hau in the Pokemon League.
2. There is a soft level limit: I can be overleveled, but it must be reasonable.
3. Lactose Intolerant Clause: I cannot cheese the Ultra Necrozma battle, which includes, but is not limited to, Toxic stalling, Zoroark shenanigans, and Focus Sash + Endeavor.
PartSummary
1. Elite Four and Champion (in this post)Beginning of game; completed Trainers' School
2. Power in NumbersGoing through Heahea City; Ilima battle
3. Rat PackTotem Alolan Raticate battle
4. Melemele MassacreGoing through Melemele Island
5. HopelessKahuna Hala battle; finishing up Melemele Island
6. Worth Your SaltGoing through Akala Island up to Gladion on Route 5
7. Insane in the RainTotem Araquanid battle
8. Enter the DragonGoing through Akala Island up to Wela Volcano Park
9. Sticks and StonesTotem Alolan Marowak battle
10. ResilienceTotem Lurantis battle; going through Akala Island
11. The Day the Music DiedKahuna Olivia battle
12. Beauty and the BeastGoing through Ula'ula Island up to Mount Hokulani
13. Meteor ImpactMount Hokulani; Totem Togedemaru battle
14. The Hornet's NestFirst Guzma battle; going through Ula'ula Island
15. The Big 21Totem Mimikyu battle; more Ula'ula Island
16. FanpopPo Town; Kahuna Nanu battle
17. All My Friends Are DeadAether Paradise Lillie rescue mission
18. Shocked and ShookAether Paradise continued
19. Make Love, Not War (pt. 1)Aether Paradise continued
20. Make Love, Not War (pt. 2)Aether Paradise conclusion
21. Not Victory RoadArrival at Poni Island; Vast Poni Canyon
22. Calm Before the StormTotem Kommo-o; Necrozma-Dawn Wings battle
23. Ultra NecrozmaThis is the part where we fight Ultra Necrozma, wow!
24. Everyone is HereMina's trial
25. Your Trial Period Has ExpiredConclusion of Poni Island
26. Echoes of the PastMount Lanakila
27. The Elite FourSomething sparkles in the darkness...

Part 1: Elite Four and Champion

Already I'm mashing A to get through the beginning, but thankfully USUM trims some of the fat off the beginning and lets you choose your starter much, much earlier. Nice.

I've used Rowlet and Litten before, so naturally...

K-pop the Popplio joins the party!

Encounter Location: Starter (gift)

Nature: Bold (Def+, Atk-)

Ability: Torrent

Name Origin: The Popplio line is bubbly and upbeat, and though I don't listen to k-pop myself, I certainly know of the song "Bubble Pop". With Popplio's bubble and singing motif plus the "pop" pun, it's perfect.

General Thoughts: In terms of viability, I think Primarina is the best out of the three, so I'm excited to see what he'll do! Bold nature is also pretty beneficial, so I hope he sticks around.

Current Party:

That's right, I count the starter of any pokemon game as a gift, this game being no exception.

Now, it's time to find K-pop a partner. I will abuse Pinwheel Clause by counting Route 1 as three encounters. The three subareas of Route 1 are as follows: Route 1 proper, Hau'oli Outskirts, and Trainers' School.

The Grubbin encounter is scripted, so I will not count that.

What a ripe selection of mons. What'll it be, the fast and reliable Buneary, or maybe a Pichu so I can 1-up Hau? Or perhaps it will be a Grubbin after all, which I can actually evolve to a Vikavolt reasonably this time? Oh boy, this is exciting, our first catch is!...

Buzz buzz

Oh.

Polka the Ledyba joins the party!

Encounter Location: Route 1

Nature: Hasty (Spe+, Def-)

Ability: Early Bird

Name Origin: Polka dots + polka music pun. And I guess Weird Al's polka medleys come to mind, which is fitting for how much of a joke Ledian is.

General Thoughts: Look, I love Ledyba and Ledian as pokemon, believe you me. Ledyba is ridiculously cute and Ledian is super cool, but good lord are they ass in battle. I don't expect Polka to live very long, but with access to dual screens early on I think she'd be alright for the early game.

Current Party:
+

New pair: K-pop the Popplio & Polka the Ledyba

In our very first pairing ever, we have K-pop the Popplio with Polka the Ledyba! In accordance with my modified Wedlocke rules, K-pop and Polka will now have gender preferences. Since his first partner is female, K-pop will now only pair with females (or genderless), and since her first partner is male, Polka will now only pair with males (or genderless).

Anyway, now it's time to grind Polka up to a usable level. Sigh.

Y'know, she might get completely wrecked by the stare of a Pikipek, but she can take down a mean level 2 Caterpie in just 5 hours. She tries her best, mkay?

With Hau's defeat, we now get an encounter at Hau'oli Outskirts. It's really just Wingull, Slowpoke, or Inkay, any of which are fine by me.

Waltz the Slowpoke joins the party!

Encounter Location: Route 1 - Hau'oli Outskirts

Nature: Naive (Spe+/SpD-)

Ability: Own Tempo

Name Origin: The waltz itself can be a pretty slow ballroom dance, but I mainly chose this name because of Sebastian Debeste's theme from Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations 2. The character Sebastian is a bit of a ding dong, especially when this music played, but like Slowpoke he's lovable all the same (at least for me).

General Thoughts: Bulk is crucial in a no-heal wedlocke, so I'm pretty happy about this. Still, the nature is a shame, and it's a shame Slowpoke are so hard to evolve and are geared towards physical attack for some reason, but what can you do.

Current Party:
+

And right after that, we get our Trainers' School encounter. Now this one is actually hype, as we can get some seriously cool things. I just hope it's not Alolan Meowth.

And just as a reminder, with my wedlocke rules, Magnemite IS allowed, so we've got a 3/4 chance of something great!

Indeed, Trainers' School did not disappoint! I've never used a Zorua in any game before, so I'm excited. But, holy shit, we're actually in danger just trying to catch it! It has STAB Pursuit, so I can't just switch to K-pop. I also don't want to lose this encounter by running away.

Should I risk Polka's life by throwing the pokeball now?

Of course I will! And by the way, we caught it, whew.

Kabuki the Zorua joins the party!

Encounter Location: Trainers' School

Nature: Lonely (Atk+/Def-)

Ability: Illusion

Name Origin: According to Bulbapedia, Zoroark's face markings are based off Japanese Kabuki theater makeup. Kabuki seems to count as a musical style in the Wikipedia list too, so why not? It's a neat sounding name.

General Thoughts: This is looking WAAAAAAAAAY ahead, but how cool would it be to keep Kabuki alive in time for Ultra Necrozma? We would need to get a Psychic-weak pokemon in the meantime, but that probably won't be a problem by then. Anyway, Kabuki's Illusion apparently fools the AI, so I'm looking forward to those shenanigans.

Current Party:
+

+

New pair: Waltz the Slowpoke & Kabuki the Zorua

Interesting matchup: we have a slow tank and a glass cannon. And again, with my wedlocke rules, gender preferences are determined by a pokemon's first partner, so in this case Waltz and Kabuki will both prefer males/genderless.

Alright, now that we have a team going, we just need to train up a bit and then we're ready to tackle the "Elite Four" of the school! Yep, that's the reason for this part's title. Lame? Yes.

...and this is the part where things go downhill. Already. Take a look:

I figured I could get Waltz and Kabuki some nice experience, so I decided to battle Rising Star Joseph with them. Big mistake.

Waltz is bound by Wrap and this Ekans has Bite. Is there anything I can do? No healing items, no switching, no hard hitting moves. No hope.

Death by asphyxiation. What a way to go.

Waltz, I hardly knew ye.

Death #1: Waltz the Slowpoke

Cause of Death: Wrapped and bitten to death by Rising Star Joseph's Ekans at Trainers' School

Party Member Since: Part 1

Parting Words: It's been fun, all 10 minutes of it. But seriously, damn I wish I knew about the Ekans ahead of time. It's not against my rules to look up trainers' pokemon, but I usually don't. You had potential, Waltz. RIP.

Current Party:
+

It's not over yet, though. We must now face the "Champion" herself: Teacher Emily with her Rowlet.

Major Trainer Battle: Teacher Emily

Team Checkup
PokemonLevelItemMoveset
---Pair 1---
K-pop the Popplio
10Oran BerryWater Gun, Disarming Voice, Work Up, Baby-Doll Eyes
Polka the Ledyba
10Oran BerrySwift, Tackle, Supersonic
---Pair 2--- (LEAD)
Kabuki the Zorua
10Oran BerryPursuit, Scratch, Leer, Fake Tears
Strategy
Why is Grass/Flying coverage actually so deadly right now?!
K-pop and
Polka are my only pair, but wouldn't you know it she has the perfect answer for both of them! (Note: I know now that her Rowlet doesn't have any Flying moves, but at the time I didn't. And besides, Polka wouldn't have done much damage anyway.)

Therefore, as scary as it is, I think I will have to solo her with
Kabuki. Oh god. Hopefully STAB Pursuit with an Atk+ nature will do us good.

Begin Battle

K-pop, er, Kabuki's strongest move is Pursuit, so that's what we're doing. It's all we can do.

This is how much Leafage does to Kabuki, and this is how much Pursuit does to Rowlet. So that's what, about 25% on Rowlet? And he does 12 damage to us.

Not good. Not good at all.

As long as Rowlet doesn't crit, Kabuki should be able to take 2 more Leafages due to the Oran Berry.

Now here we are after another Leafage. Kabuki has eaten his Oran Berry and is now at 17 hp.

I don't have a good feeling about this. Here's the thing: if I Pursuit again, Rowlet will go down to 25% health, and do you know what means? Overgrow. 12 damage from Leafage times 1.5 will be 18, so Kabuki will die if I Pursuit. Even a crit won't be enough, as it does 25% normally and 37% with a crit, which is not enough against Rowlet's ~50% health.

So what are my options? I can only see one route where Kabuki survives this battle, and it's quite unlikely:

1. Use Leer.
2. Survive the next Leafage.
3. Crit with Pursuit.

That's it. There is no other route. Oh Kabuki, can you pull this off?

Aggghh, it didn't work, no crit. It was a long shot.

Death #2: Kabuki the Zorua

Cause of Death: Leafage by Teacher Emily's Rowlet at Trainers' School

Parting Words: I was so happy to see you as my encounter, but now I'll never know what it's like to wield the power of Illusion. It was a valiant effort against Rowlet, but it was just too much to solo. Rest in peace.

Current Party:
+

Y-yeah, wedlockes, am I right?

K-pop,
Polka, protect each other and everything will be okay, I promise.

...well, it's more like K-pop, please protect Polka. Polka, you can just sit there and be adorable. Not a problem at all, n-nope.

END Part 1

L

LassSharon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh dear, that was a rather brutal start. Perhaps you should spend a little more time in the grass training up? I usually try to get my team to lv. 10 before I attempt the trainer school, especially now that the teacher uses one of the Alola starters.

That being said, I really like the format! You went out of your way to take some photos of your game and the little sprites in between really makes the whole thing much more enjoyable to read.

Dustox

Professional Schemer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Poison
Pokédex Entry
"No matter how hard you look, you won't see what I'm scheming."
*looks at Ledyba encounter*

Yeah, maybe you should have gotten the Grubbin encounter if it was valid... I love bugs, but the Ledian line really is hard to use. It could be a good way to set up K-pop for something since it has Baton Pass. That's always a valid strategy.

Oh no... Brutal start. RIP Waltz and Kabuki. Good luck with the rest of your encounters!

P

pikasphere

@LassSharon: Yeah, another level might've saved Kabuki's life. In general though, I try to keep a soft level limit so I'm not too overleveled. And besides, I get pretty lazy. And thanks! Taking pictures slows down the momentum a bit when playing, but it's all for that sweet documentation.

@Shiny Dustox: I briefly considered treating the Grubbin as a static encounter or something, but it's completely forced onto you, so I decided to let RNG have its way. I've used Vikavolt before and loved it, so it's a shame that I have to settle with Polka for now. Ah well. But like you said, the Ledian line could function as a setup mon.

Nickname key: Male Female Genderless
LocationPokemonStatusJoinedDiedAbilityNaturePartner
StarterK-pop (Popplio)Activept 1--TorrentBold (Def+/Atk-)Polka
Route 1Polka (Ledyba)Activept 1--Early BirdHasty (Spe+/Def-)K-pop
Route 1 - Hau'oli OutskirtsWaltz (Slowpoke)Deadpt 1pt 1Own TempoNaive (Spe+/SpD-)Kabuki
Trainers' SchoolKabuki (Zorua)Deadpt 1pt 1IllusionLonely (Atk+/Def-)Waltz
Waltz the Slowpoke
Joined and Died in Part 1
Level 4-9
Cause of Death: Wrapped and bitten to death by Rising Star Joseph's Ekans at Trainers' School

Kabuki the Zorua
Level 6-10

Part 2: Power in Numbers

Here we are at Alola's marvelous Hau'oli City. After some more cutscenes and button mashing, we are let loose onto a beautiful sight:

Encounters, encounters out the wazoo! Greener pastures, cleaner captures. Alolan Meowth continues to stink up the encounter pool, but other than that we're in for a treat.

Carolina the Wingull joins the party!

Encounter Location: Hau'oli City

Nature: Adamant (Atk+/SpA-)

Ability: Keen Eye

Name Origin: Looking for something beach-themed, I learned that apparently, beach music is also known as "Carolina beach music", and Carolina being a nice name, I decided why not?

General Thoughts: Drizzle Pelipper is an absolute monster when used right. Sadly, this will not be Carolina. Not only does she have Adamant nature, but she has Keen Eye, which means no Drizzle. Sigh, well, welcome anyway, we need anything we can take.

Current Party:
+

Without Exp Share, grinding proves to be quite the menace, but everyone pulls their weight:
K-pop and
Polka together and
Carolina all on her own. Despite my misgivings, Carolina turns out to be a solid pokemon by virtue of her excellent speed and decent damage output.

Sadly, during training we experience a devastating loss. My remaining Oran Berries got devoured by my pokemon when grinding. You see, I forgot to unequip them after Teacher Emily, and I was also watching TV to stave off the tedium so I didn't realize until it was too late.

The short term consequence of this is that, unfortunately, we have to fight Ilima without any berries. All according to keikaku.  

Major Trainer Battle: Ilima

Team Checkup
PokemonLevelItemMoveset
---Pair 1--- (LEAD)
K-pop the Popplio
14Quick ClawWater Gun, Disarming Voice, Aqua Jet, Baby-Doll Eyes
Polka the Ledyba
13Silk ScarfSwift, Supersonic, Reflect, Light Screen
---Pair 2---
Carolina the Wingull
13Pretty WingWing Attack, Water Gun, Growl, Mist
Strategy

Ilima's team hasn't changed much from Sun & Moon, but nothing needed to be changed. Although his Smeargle attracts the most notoriety, his Yungoos honestly scares me equally as much. Without the use of healing items, the damage output will rack up dangerously fast against us.

Okay, so this will be a job for
K-pop and
Polka. The latter will actually play a valuable role, namely in setting up Reflect and firing off Silk Scarf boosted Swifts, which actually pack quite a punch. However, I'm not sure when, or if, I'd be able to switch K-pop in safely. Every hit point is important for him.

Carolina, here's a Pretty Wing: your secret weapon. If it really comes down to it, use that to declare an emergency offering of peace.

Begin Battle

Reflect is crucial, so we set it up immediately.

After exchanging blows and looking on in horror as Ilima scums his way with a Potion, we're at a point where Polka is a buzz away from death.

You might be alarmed at the fact that not once did I switch K-pop in. Perhaps I could have, but the fear is too real:

1. Yungoos might go for a surprise Pursuit
2. Yungoos will probably Leer K-pop
3. God knows how much Smeargle's Leafages will do, Leered or not.

I'm sorry Polka, but if K-pop gets in trouble after the switch, there's not much you can do.

Death #3: Polka the Ledyba

Cause of Death: Tackle by Ilima's Yungoos

Level 3 - 13

Parting Words: I mean, Polka was a Ledyba. In terms of the welfare of this run, her death is a mercy. However, to be honest, I grew a bit attached to her. It hurt to see her fall, even though I know she doesn't have much to offer. Farewell.

Current Party:

Polka did what I wanted her to: softening up Yungoos so K-pop can 1v1 Smeargle safely at full health.

Fortunately, there is still some Reflect left. This is a godsend-- Smeargle has Technician and probably full attack investment, so we need as much defense as possible.

Polka, it turns out you might save your partner's life yet.

Leafage does 5 damage, meaning 10 damage normally. We got this!

Victory.

Listen, if I can soar the skies on a dead Pidgey, there should be no excuse.

So after that ordeal, our party consists of two lone wolves: K-pop and Carolina. However, because their genders are compatible, they become our next pair!

New pair: K-pop the Popplio and Carolina the Wingull

Good things are in store for us after the Ilima battle: the Tauros plot barrier is lifted, and we find ourselves on Route 2, where there's an abundance of potential catches. Prepare for an onslaught of newcomers.

Rhapsody the Ekans joins the party!

Encounter Location: Route 2

Nature: Docile (neutral)

Ability: Intimidate

Name Origin: A pun on "wrap", and a more interesting name than simply "Rap".

General Thoughts: Not a pokemon I'd typically use, but Rhapsody looks like he'll bring some valuable tools to the table, namely Intimidate and Glare. A nice, solid snake companion.

Current Party:
+

Boogaloo the Gastly joins the party!

Encounter Location: Hau'oli Cemetery

Nature: Calm (SpD+/Atk-)

Ability: Levitate

Name Origin: A pun on "boo".

General Thoughts: Nice, that's what I like to see! However, glass cannons in a wedlocke are much different than those in a regular nuzlocke, so it remains to be seen how useful Boogaloo will be in such an environment. Still, it's exciting to have a potential powerhouse on the team!

Current Party:
+
+

New pair: Rhapsody the Ekans and Boogaloo the Gastly

Grime the Zubat joins the party!

Encounter Location: Sandy Cave

Nature: Docile (neutral)

Ability: Inner Focus

Name Origin: I was thinking of something to describe a dark and dank cave, and the UK electronic music style known as "grime" appealed to me as a name for her. Yeah I know, this name fits Grimer better, so try not to get confused.

General Thoughts: Say what you will, but this evolution family has done nothing but good for me, so I'm excited to see her hopefully become a Crobat and wreck house one day. That said, at the moment, this thing is TRASH. Not only is Grime a lone wolf, but she only has Astonish and Absorb. How do I even train her

Current Party:
+
+

Whew, that's a lot of newcomers, and then there'll be even more when Route 3 opens. Is it just me, or does every Pokemon game have that point near the beginning where your team size just explodes? Well, I ain't complaining, power in numbers after all.

Alright, now in order to take down Ilima's trial, we're gonna need to train everyone up.

Looks like I have a long, arduous grinding session ahead of me...

...but not unless I activate my famous HYPERSPEED GRINDINGTM TRICK!

Thanks to the power of the written log, you don't have to watch any boring grinding sessions! Everyone's leveled up and ready to roll.

To keep these parts reasonable, though, the trial itself will be shown in the next part, so yeah there's gonna be a wait anyway. But the trial's all done, so stay tuned!

END Part 2

L

LassSharon

A moment of silence for Polka. That early Ilima battle is actually really challenging because normal types hit so hard with even just a Tackle early game due to STAB.

That being said, the new pairs are looking decent! A bit of a shame that they share common types and therefore also common weaknesses. For now Gastly/Haunter can cover for Ekans' ground weakness but once you get a Gengar, you'll have to say goodbye to Levitate. ;;

Dustox

Professional Schemer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Ilima is surprisingly difficult for the first trial slash captain battle. While he's using Normal-types, they hit hella hard, especially at this stage in the game.
But yeah, rip Polka. She died to keep K-pop safe, which I honestly think was going to be her only benefit to the run, sad to say.

Anyway, I love Ekans so I'm happy you caught the Ekans in Route 2 and being paired up with Boogaloo could be helpful because Rhapsody can absorb some of the more physical attacks with Intimidate.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Wow... A wedlocke...in Ultra Moon...with no healing items... May Arceus have mercy on your soul. I must agree with you about USUM being the hardest games in the franchise. I just recently lost my Ultra Sun naturelocke to the evil Ultra Necromoza, which brought me to 30 deaths total, a record for me by far. And I was allowed to use healing items (though I did have a limit)!

Aside from the doom and gloom, I have to say I am super impressed by the formatting of your posts! I just love all the pictures from Pokemon cards (the picture you chose for Carolina was one of my favorites as a child because of how pretty it was). It must take a lot of time to make your posts look that that, and to me it's totally worth it!

P

pikasphere

@LassSharon Yeah, normal types are no joke. Almost nothing resists it at this point, and the fact that he has a Smeargle whose 75 speed outpaces almost everything means it's a battle you can't sleep on.

I do hope Gastly and Ekans turn out to be a good pair, but yeah the common weaknesses suck. Gengar losing Levitate hopefully won't be too big of a hindrance, as he's a glass cannon anyway and would get rekt even by neutral hits.

@Shiny Dustox Now that I think about it, Ilima is difficult BECAUSE he's using normal types. Unless you have Magnemite or something, you're gonna have to take some massive hits. I know Ilima has ended some nuzlockes.

A pokemon dying for the good of the run is something I have a feeling will be repeated throughout this run, so RIP Polka and RIP my future pokemon. I'm pretty happy about Ekans too, and good point about absorbing physical hits. They share weaknesses, but they each have something that can help cover for the other.

@Spectacles Yep, it's scary as hell, considering how crazy it is in even a casual playthrough. Ultra Necrozma is either you beat it or you don't. I just have to hope my team will be good enough by then. If K-pop survives, then a Primarina would be fantastic for it. Sorry about that loss, and wow 30 deaths is crazy. What's even crazier is that that figure might not even be unlikely for this run.

Thanks! And yeah, pokemon tcg images are amazing. It kinda makes me wish I learned how to play the card game growing up, but instead all I did was look at the pretty pictures and "play" it with my own made-up rules.

StarterK-pop (Popplio)Activept 1--TorrentBold (Def+/Atk-)Polka -> Carolina
Route 1Polka (Ledyba)Deadpt 1pt 2Early BirdHasty (Spe+/Def-)K-pop
Route 1 - Hau'oli OutskirtsWaltz (Slowpoke)Deadpt 1pt 1Own TempoNaive (Spe+/SpD-)Kabuki
Hau'oli CityCarolina (Wingull)Activept 2--Keen EyeAdamant (Atk+/SpA-)K-pop
Route 2Rhapsody (Ekans)Activept 2--IntimidateDocile (neutral)Boogaloo
Hau'oli CemeteryBoogaloo (Gastly)Activept 2--LevitateCalm (SpD+/Atk-)Rhapsody
Sandy CaveGrime (Zubat)Activept 2--Inner FocusDocile (neutral)--
Waltz the Slowpoke
Level 4-9

Kabuki the Zorua
Level 6-10

Polka the Ledyba
Joined in Part 1, Died in Part 2
Level 3-13
Cause of Death: Tackle by Ilima's Yungoos; sacrifice for safe switch-in for partner K-pop

Part 3: Rat Pack

Let's get right into it: the first trial of the run!

Sadly, nobody can learn Brick Break, so it looks like we will need to actually fight the totem.

Totem Battle: Alolan Raticate

Team Checkup

PokemonLevelItemMoveset
---Pair 1--- (LEAD)
Carolina the Wingull
14Oran BerryWing Attack, Water Gun, Growl, Mist
K-pop the Popplio
15Oran BerryWater Gun, Disarming Voice, Aqua Jet, Baby-Doll Eyes
---Pair 2---
Boogaloo the Gastly
14Oran BerryLick, Hypnosis, Spite, Curse
Rhapsody the Ekans
14Poison BarbBite, Poison Sting, Glare, Leer
---Pair 3---
Grime the Zubat
14Quick ClawWing Attack, Bite, Absorb, Supersonic
Strategy

Boogaloo and
Rhapsody are a big no-no, and
Grime is not strong enough to solo.

Thus, we're left with no choice but
K-pop and
Carolina. K-pop isn't yet a Fairy, so Disarming Voice might not be good enough alone and Raticate's Bite will tear right into him.

I want to conserve K-pop's HP the most (sorry Carolina), so I will lead with Carolina. Surprisingly, there might be a use for Mist to prevent Tail Whip shittery, but other than that, she'll just have to wing it.

Because of the state of my party and how nobody resists Normal or Dark, I might have to pull a Polka with Carolina. I'm sorry, I know it might be taboo to talk like that in a nuzlocke, but it's true: she needs to do as much as she can to lessen the impact for K-pop, even if it means her life.

Begin Battle

I decide to Growl immediately. Totem Raticate's Bite is too terrifying to let fly unmitigated.

It goes for Scary Face on the first turn, which is actually bad because Carolina's speed gives her the upper hand.

The Alolan Rattata ally is summoned, and I know it has Tail Whip. Therefore, I'm gonna make a play that I hope will help: I'm gonna use Mist to prevent defense drops.

Because of the Scary Face, Carolina is outsped by both, which is incredibly bad because HOLY SHIT SUPER FANG. And then Pursuit by the Rattata. Oh god.

After taking both of these hits, Carolina uses up her Oran Berry and is now at 20/39 hp.

And then she uses Mist, which I now acknowledge was a terrible play on my part. Fuck.

Now it's time to do damage, but I fear it's too late, way too late. Carolina, can you do it?

No, I didn't think so. Why did I go for Mist.

Death #4: Carolina the Wingull

Cause of Death: Bite from Totem Alolan Raticate and Tackle from Alolan Rattata

Level 9 - 14

Part 2 - Part 3

Parting Words: Forgive me for that trash play. I promise you, your sacrifice wasn't in vain. Like others before you, I'm sorry you couldn't stay with us for long, but it's been fun using your speed and STAB combo along the way.

Current Party:
+

K-pop, you're up. Disarming Voice hits both targets, but I'm not sure what to think of that. The 25% damage reduction might end up hurting us.

Not a good place to be in, staring down a giant roided rat and his goon. K-pop, be careful, I know you can do this!

SWEET JESUS HALLELUJAH it's a Hustle Rattata that misses its Quick Attack!

BUT THEN RATICATE FLINCHES K-POP. Oh god, is this gonna be a thing?!

Maybe not?! We dodge the next Rattata attack...

and finally, we land a Disarming Voice!

...and that's it?! Oh no.

Alright, alright, gotta slow down.

So then, we're actually in a bit of a sticky situation here.

"What's the big deal," you might ask. "Why not just keep spamming Disarming Voice?"
Here's the problem: Hustle Alolan Rattata is strong. However, how strong it is is currently unknown, because we've been lucky and dodged all two of its attacks. That luck can't hold forever, however; Rattata will likely hit its next attack, and combined with Raticate's attack, K-pop will be in a world of pain.

By going for Disarming Voice, K-pop has to stomach two hits, which in all likelihood he can, but remember that Alolan Raticate just recently flinched us. Is it going to happen again? This is a wedlocke, and by applying general nuzlocke logic, yes, it will flinch us.

Thus, we need to exterminate the little rat as soon as possible with Aqua Jet. The less damage output by the opposition, the better.

Now, the question is, will Aqua Jet kill?
... yeah, I'm sure it will.
The play is to Aqua Jet the Rattata, so go for it K-pop!

Good. Now, we just need a little luck on our side.

Raticate takes another Bite...

...we eat the Oran Berry...

...and, yeah, figures.

But I won't edge you guys anymore. We eventually break through, and it's GG!

Got em. K-pop, you are a beast!

Boy... although we got through that fairly alright, I wonder how K-pop's holding up. He's experienced the tragedy of losing a lover not once, but twice, first with
Polka and then with
Carolina. Unfort, but I guess it's on me too, as I'm starting to fall into the depths of hindsight regret. But what's happened has happened, and all I can do is try to play better.

In brighter news,  
Grime is female, so K-pop, here you go:

New pair: K-pop the Popplio and Grime the Zubat

I guess you have a thing for Flying types, huh.

Finally, with the trial done, we receive Normalium Z and the invaluable Breakneck Blitz, aw yeah. And who better to abuse this power than our next encounter:

Vaudeville the Alolan Rattata joins the party!

Encounter Location: Verdant Cavern

Nature: Lonely (Atk+/Def-)

Ability: Gluttony

Name Origin: Twirly mustache, dark and dastardly disposition... I just had to. And it's a music style too, so yeah.

General Thoughts: A shame we won't be able to abuse any Hustle-boosted breaknecks, but with an attack boosting nature and solid offense at this point, I say welcome to the team!

Current Party:
+
+

True, we did just lose a pokemon to Vaudeville's distant cousins, but it's time to make peace, not war. Vaudeville is a good rat, and she will break your neck before you even dare break your bricks on her. That was fucking awful.

END Part 3

L

LassSharon

Gumshoos with Bite got a lot of flinches off on me in my Mono Bug Egglocke as well but at least that wasn't stab. ;;

I'm very sorry for your loss but don't beat yourself up over it, okay? Sometimes we make stupid plays because of the stress involved with a Nuzlocke. *coughs*Like when I switched out my 4 HP Dwebble even though I knew Yungoos had Pursuit*coughs*

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Hoooooly smokes I thought you were a goner there. K-Pop is a beast!!! Damn what harsh rules you have. You have no choice but to make cruel choices and sacrifice members to give the team the best chance at survival. It's ruthless, and it makes your run super interesting to follow.

T

The_E364

Damn, K-Pop is flying through partners fast...

nuzthemonkey

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 31, 2019
I just want to say how hard it would be for K-pop to come back if this was a storyshot run! Like, he went through the loss of 2 partners in 2 days. Anyways, I love the way you're documenting your runs, with the checkups and visuals and screenshots
! It is so easy to read! Keep going, this run is awesome!

D

Darg

It is a harsh path you walk, friend. Knowing that Zorua was once exclusively an event Pokemon, and then watching such a beautiful little dark fox thing bite the dust early, is a harsh blow to me just reading it. On the brighter side, I do enjoy your writing style and how you break each battle down strategically, so I'll try and stick around as you overcome this challenge.

Dustox

Professional Schemer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Poison
Pokédex Entry
I guess the Wedlocke rules does give a bit of a extra layer to sacrificing your mons. K-pop is your starter, so it's understandable you'd want to keep him safe, but yeah... Hopefully, he can evolve soon, so he can put the work in. Plus, if Grime reaches Crobat status, she'll have relative bulk to survive some attacks and can U-Turn as well.

Anyway, best of luck once again!

P

pikasphere

@LassSharon Yeah, it's all part of the package. I fully expected to make lots of stupid mistakes when starting a no-heal wedlocke of such a hard game, and so far that expectation does not look to disappoint! And yep, Pursuit is definitely a bitch of a move.

@Spectacles If the very first totem already turned the heat up, I don't even want to know what's in store for the rest of the game. Ultra Necrozma have mercy on me.

@The_E364 I see what you did there.

@nuzthemonkey If I had an ounce of imagination and story writing ability, oh man K-pop's situation would be quite interesting in a story run. Still, I do get attached to my pokemon anyway and imagine them as characters to a limited extent, and so I can imagine K-pop isn't exactly happy right now. And thanks!

@Darg It's weird how they treated Zoroark in gen 5, so I'm glad it was rectified in this game. It's even cooler how Gladion's Zorua fooled me the first time, so this pokemon isn't exactly a throwaway new addition to USUM.

@Shiny Dustox I hope my attachment to K-pop won't lead me too astray, but yeah the nature of the rules makes me feel like I need to sacrifice pokemon, even if there are better plays (which I wouldn't realize until after of course). Grime as a Crobat would be fantastic and would fulfill my habit of having one in nearly every playthrough of a pokemon game, nuzlocke or no.

StarterK-pop (Popplio)Activept 1--TorrentBold (Def+/Atk-)Polka -> Carolina
Route 1Polka (Ledyba)Deadpt 1pt 2Early BirdHasty (Spe+/Def-)K-pop
Hau'oli CityCarolina (Wingull)Activept 2--Keen EyeAdamant (Atk+/SpA-)K-pop
Route 2Rhapsody (Ekans)Activept 2--IntimidateDocile (neutral)Boogaloo
Hau'oli CemeteryBoogaloo (Gastly)Activept 2--LevitateCalm (SpD+/Atk-)Rhapsody
Sandy CaveGrime (Zubat)Activept 2--Inner FocusDocile (neutral)--
Verdant CavernVaudeville (Alolan Rattata)Activept 3--GluttonyLonely (Atk+/Def-)--
Waltz the Slowpoke
Level 4-9

Kabuki the Zorua
Level 6-10

Polka the Ledyba
Level 3-13
Cause of Death: Tackle by Ilima's Yungoos; sacrifice for safe switch-in for partner K-pop

Carolina the Wingull
Joined in Part 2, Died in Part 3
Level 9-14

Part 4: Melemele Massacre

This guy.

You remember Rising Star Joseph, the one who slew
Waltz and gave us our very first casualty? Well, he has a friend -- Rising Star "Ian". Not even one minute into Route 3 and this motherfucker got us good.

Boogaloo and
Rhapsody... yeah, wanna know what happened? WATER GUN. HITS. SO. HARD. WHAT THE FUCK, PSYDUCK.

I started the battle with Rhapsody, whose strongest move is Bite. At first I couldn't believe it, but I realized to my horror that Water Gun did way too much to just spam Bite. Thus, I paralyzed Psyduck with Glare, but I might as well have been feeding it breadcrumbs or something, because Psyduck just kept on trucking without a care in the world. Rhapsody gets low, and so of course I switch to Boogaloo, who does jackshit. And now we're in the situation you see above.

Why, Psyduck, why can't you be a Psychic type?!

I'm in a position no nuzlocker should ever be in: I have to sacrifice someone. No, scratch that, I have to CHOOSE who to sacrifice.

Now, it's true that Psyduck is paralyzed. However, nuzlocke law dictates that it means nothing.

Let's just think about this. Always think. What can I do?

1. Switch to Rhapsody.

If I do this, then I need a full para, after which Rhapsody can finish it off.

2. Stay in.

If I do this, then I need a full para, as Lick is stupidly weak and requires 2 more hits.

Gah, so either way, we need a full para. Now, let's assume the worst and say that paralysis never pulls through. For option 1, we lose no one or we lose both. For option 2, we lose no one or we lose Boogaloo. It's strictly a matter of minimizing loss. We have to go with option 2.

BOOGALOO, HANG IN THERE.

GYAAAHH.

Well, now we know: had I switched to Rhapsody, he would've been killed. Then, I would be in the same situation above except without Rhapsody, and chances are I would've lost both pokemon.
Death #5: Boogaloo the Gastly

Cause of Death: Water Gun from Rising Star Ian's Psyduck on Route 3

Level 7 - 14

Part 2 - Part 4

Parting Words: Oh my heart. Boogaloo the Gengar was never meant to be. I looked it up and you would've learned Night Shade at the very next level! Just my luck. Well, I guess it's time for you to return home to Hau'oli Cemetery. Rest in peace indeed.

Current Party:
+

So, here's where the gender preference thing comes into play.
Rhapsody's gender preference is male, and as such he cannot pair with the other lone wolf,
Vaudeville. Therefore, we have two lone wolves on our team.

It's kind of a weird situation, but here's how I'm treating the next encounter: if I find a male Pokemon, he will pair up with Rhapsody first. If I find a female one, she will pair with Vaudeville. If I find a genderless pokemon, it will pair with the oldest pokemon, i.e. Rhapsody.

With that said, fortunately for us, the population is booming at this part of the game-- we have an astounding 3 encounters waiting for us: Route 3, Melemele Meadow, and Seaward Cave. Alright Rhapsody, let's find your new pal on Route 3.
Skweee the Cutiefly joins the party!

Encounter Location: Route 3

Nature: Rash (SpA+/SpD-)

Ability: Shield Dust

Name Origin: Sounds cute and cheerful, rhymes with "bee", what's not to love? Skweee itself is a mix of funk/R&B and synth/chiptune, and strangely enough I can kinda picture a Cutiefly being associated with this kind of music.

General Thoughts: Great catch! I've used Ribombee before and loved it. In terms of synergy, he covers Rhapsody's weaknesses well, but the same can't really be said vice-versa. That said, I look forward to training him!

Current Party:
+
+

New pair: Rhapsody the Ekans and Skweee the Cutiefly

Come to think of it, I could've caught a Spearow instead and traded it for Cha the Hawlucha, which is legal per my rules. Oh well. Let's just assume I would've found a Vullaby instead which would've been a nightmare.

Up next, it's time to acquire a full party of 6! Let's see who Vaudeville's partner will be at Melemele Meadow...

Awesome!

...or not.

It had to happen sooner or later. The hard truth is, we just can't risk catching it. Oricorio escaped 3 Great Balls at red health and then SOS called another Oricorio, so I killed the original one to survive, and now we're up against this
ferocious killer cheering for our death.

You have no idea how much I wanted to catch an Oricorio, damn. It's hard, but I have to know when to stay my hand. I do not want to risk Rhapsody's life, and Skweee is definitely not a switch-in.

We have to run.

Since Oricorio is faster, I'm not even sure we can run away safely! As they are neither a healing item nor a boosting item, items like Poke Toys and Adrenaline Orbs are legal. So with that, farewell Oricorio, but why were you so cruel to me.

Well, maybe we'll have better luck in Seaward Cave. In a minor deviation from the original Sun & Moon, Nebby is actually located at Seaward Cave this time. Without thinking, I talk to Nebby first...

and DAMMIT NEBBY.

I FORGOT THERE WAS A SOLIERA BATTLE! Had I known talking to Nebby would be the trigger, I would have been more prepared!

Does she even use a Poipole at this point? I can't remember...

FURFROU? FURFROU?! NOOOOOOOO!!

Rhapsody and
Skweee are still in front!

Also, is that a Beast Ball?

Hrrrnnngggh, no, I tried, but it wasn't even a fight.

Skweee led the battle, so I used Stun Spore. It missed. Then, Headbutt nearly wipes him out, so I switched to Rhapsody and got the Intimidate. HAHAHAHA, oh how naive I was to think that would've helped. Furfrou proceeded to flinch Rhapsody every time, so as you can see, Furfrou is completely untouched.

NEEEBBBBBBBBBYYYYYY
Death #6: Rhapsody the Ekans

Cause of Death: Headbutt flinch hax from Soliera's Furfrou

Level 10 - 15

Part 2 - Part 4

Parting Words: I tried to save you twice today, but I guess death really had its grip on you. Even though I'm not sure where your end game would've taken you, your invaluable combination of Glare and Intimidate proved to me that you were better than I thought. You didn't deserve that kind of ending.

Current Party:
+

Death #7: Skweee the Cutiefly

Cause of Death: Headbutt from Soliera's Furfrou

Level 10 - 11

Joined and Died in Part 4

Parting Words: I was on the verge of training you up, too.
Taken from us way too soon, way too soon.

Current Party:
+

Must... fight... the tilt.

K-pop, in a bid for revenge, puts down the dog with ease. I guess it brought something out of him, because after defeating Soliera, he evolved into Brionne! Godspeed,
K-pop.

Okay, it's over. Let's just return Nebby to Lillie, and let's go to the Pokemon Center and--

I NEVER LEARN! HOW DID I FORGET ALREADY?!

OF COURSE, I should have known talking to Nebby again would lead you straight to the next battle! Why Nebby, why do I keep talking to you.

Hau, please, we don't have to--

S-Skweee?! Is that y- wait, no, that's impossible! Hau, you can't just-- Hau, let me out of here!

NEEEEEEEEEEBBBBBBBBBBBBBBYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

END Part 4

L

LassSharon

This deserves an award for most brutal challenge run to date. ;; At least your starter managed to survive. The Popplio line's my favorite out of the Alola starters and it's definitely proving itself worthy.

I hope you'll be able to get something a little bit more bulky in one of the upcoming areas, maybe a Mudbray or a Mareep on Akala Island would be nice?

T

Twitchy

Man I am aching for your losses up to this point. RIP to all the ones you lost. K-Pop will definitely need some therapy witnessing his friends and loved ones' deaths. I am DEFINITELY keeping my eye on this challenge. Great layout, editing and it keeps my attention glued. Good luck to you in the upcoming endeavors. Pray for K-Pop.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Omg your reaction gifs kill me. I actually laughed out loud at the Mr Krabs one when Nebby made you fight Hau. What are you gonna do now that you have dead Pokémon out in this battle?! Damn you Nebby!!!

P

pikasphere

@LassSharon Indeed, this is way more stressful than I thought it would be, but it definitely keeps me entertained and motivated to keep going! K-pop is definitely proving himself to be my ace. I don't know what I would do if he dies. And yes, I desperately need some bulk. Mudsdale in particular is godly as I've used it before and realized it can trivialize some battles if it has Stamina!

@Twitchy Oh yeah, if K-pop survives everything, he'll have one hell of a life story. And thanks, I'll try to keep it up!

@Spectacles I would joke about Nebby being the true villain, but isn't he, in a way, Ultra Necrozma? Oh man this time it's gonna be Nebby who puts ME in the bag.

LocationPokemonStatusJoined PartyDiedAbilityNaturePartner

StarterK-pop (Popplio -> Brionne)In partyPart 1--TorrentBold (Def+/Atk-)Polka -> Carolina -> Grime
Route 1Polka (Ledyba)DeadPart 1Part 2Early BirdHasty (Spe+/Def-)K-pop
Route 1 - Hau'oli OutskirtsWaltz (Slowpoke)DeadPart 1Part 1Own TempoNaive (Spe+/SpD-)Kabuki
Trainers' SchoolKabuki (Zorua)DeadPart 1Part 1IllusionLonely (Atk+/Def-)Waltz
Hau'oli CityCarolina (Wingull)DeadPart 2Part 3Keen EyeAdamant (Atk+/SpA-)K-pop
Route 2Rhapsody (Ekans)DeadPart 2Part 4IntimidateDocile (neutral)Boogaloo -> Skweee
Hau'oli CemeteryBoogaloo (Gastly)DeadPart 2Part 4LevitateCalm (SpD+/Atk-)Rhapsody
Sandy CaveGrime (Zubat)In partyPart 2--Inner FocusDocile (neutral)K-pop
Verdant CavernVaudeville (Alolan Rattata)In partyPart 3--GluttonyLonely (Atk+/Def-)--
Route 3Skweee (Cutiefly)DeadPart 4Part 4Shield DustRash (SpA+/SpD-)Rhapsody
[/td]
Waltz the Slowpoke
Level 4-9

Kabuki the Zorua
Level 6-10

Polka the Ledyba
Level 3-13

Carolina the Wingull
Joined in Part 2, Died in Part 3
Level 9-14

Boogaloo the Gastly
Joined in Part 2, Died in Part 4
Level 7-14
Cause of Death: Water Gun from Rising Star Ian's Psyduck on Route 3

Rhapsody the Ekans
Joined in Part 2, Died in Part 4
Level 10-15
Cause of Death: Headbutt flinch hax from Soliera's Furfrou

Skweee the Cutiefly
Joined and Died in Part 4
Level 10-11
Cause of Death: Headbutt from Soliera's Furfrou

Part 5: Hopeless

So... in the last part,
Skweee the Cutiefly died in the battle against Soliera. However, instead of burying him immediately afterwards, I talked to Nebby again like the doofus I am. Doing so leads you on a chain of cutscenes in which your party gets healed and then you fight Hau.

Yeah, he's not really alive.

In order to overcome this bizarre situation, I'm just gonna let Zombie Skweee die again. In the meantime, I cannot let him do anything to Litten, so if that means I have to stall by using useless items, then I will allow that, rule breaking or no.

And, let me tell ya...

I think the malasadas must have gotten to poor Hau's head, because in addition to what you see above, he proceeded to do anything but the correct move for like 5 turns. Hau, please, end the pain.

thanks hau youre my best friend

Super Death: Skweee the Cutiefly

Cause of Death: Corpse was roasted by Hau's Litten's Ember.

Hau still being a pushover at this point, suffice it to say we had no trouble beating him for real.

Right, so now I'll take this time to finally breathe and get my bearings. Let's think positively: the beginning of pokemon games are always the hardest in a nuzlocke. Items are limited, TMs are almost nonexistent, Pokemon are weak, you name it. Losses are expected this early, so from now on, let's forge ahead and think of how much stronger we will get!

Plus, we have some good to cling onto right now. Lest it be forgotten, in the midst of all the chaos last time,
K-pop evolved into Brionne! Also, I still haven't picked up my Seaward Cave encounter due to the Nebby shenanigans.

Vaudeville, we may have failed to catch that Oricorio for you, but this time we will get you your first partner. What will it be, what will it be!

Forget everything I said. This run sucks.

Vaporwave the Delibird joins the party!

Encounter Location: Seaward Cave

Nature: Impish (Def+/SpA-)

Ability: Vital Spirit

Name Origin: As I understand it, vaporwave is a kind of satirical music genre, and though I personally like it, let's just agree that it's not exactly an honor to be named as such.

General Thoughts: Let's face it, Delibird's usefulness in battle amounts to a meme. Look, I'm all for nuzlockes making you use pokemon you would never normally use and being surprised by them. However, the only thing that'll surprise me about Vaporwave is if she turns out to be useful.

Current Party:
+
+

New pair: Vaudeville the Alolan Rattata and Vaporwave the Delibird

I... don't feel like training Vaporwave, honestly. Let's just move on.

Normally I'd accept this battle in a heartbeat, but given the state of my party, I'm not even gonna bother at the moment. Though
K-pop and
Grime have a relative type advantage, Slowpoke will be hard to break through. From experience, Butterfree's Silver Wind is a Silver Wind of the gods that boosts all stats 95% of the time (seriously, on my first playthrough, it boosted twice in a row). If my luck is truly bad (if it isn't already), this could end the run. For real.

Roost, I know you are the best TM in the entire game for a no-heal wedlocke, but I'll be back for you, I promise.

Now, all that's left between us and the next island is the island kahuna! I have one very calculated strategy to take him down...

Major Trainer Battle: Kahuna Hala

Team Checkup
PokemonLevelItemMoveset

---Pair 1--- (LEAD)
Grime the Zubat
17Sharp BeakWing Attack, Bite, Absorb, Confuse Ray
K-pop the Brionne
18Expert BeltWater Gun, Disarming Voice, Aqua Jet, Icy Wind
---Pair 2---
Vaudeville the Alolan Rattata
16Normalium ZBite, Quick Attack, Hyper Fang, Tail Whip
Vaporwave the Delibird
11Quick ClawPresent, Brick Break, Confide
[/td]
Strategy

WE CLICK WING ATTACK 3 TIMES TO WIN BABY, LET'S DO IT.

Begin Battle

ONE!

TWO!

Fuck.

"Hello, I like money!"

Okay, so I knew Crabrawler wouldn't be taken down that easily. However, I did NOT expect Crabrawler to be a fucking Garchomp! Fast, bulky, and strong, what is this?! Pursuit does a million to Grime, Wing Attack did absolutely nothing to it, and Crabrawler outspeeds!

I didn't switch to K-pop because I know it has All-Out Pummeling. Though K-pop is evolved, Crabrawler might as well be too because of all them darn EVs and IVs. I don't doubt that K-pop can endure one, but how much can he really take after? And would Disarming Voice be enough? Maybe, maybe not. And I'd probably have to switch to Grime at some point anyway, which would be bad with Pursuit. I just don't know, man.

Pursuit did 13 damage and Grime currently rests at 19 hp. If I switch out, that's 26 damage. Not good.

Regrets, regrets everywhere. I should have gotten Roost. But what's done is done, and we need to do something.

Confuse Ray is an option, but a 33% chance isn't really high. If confusion lets us down like
Rhapsody's Glare did on that Psyduck, then we're in trouble. Grime would die, and K-pop would be facing a full-health Crabrawler.

Let's just Wing Attack.

So the turn goes by, and Wing Attack is indeed a 3HKO. However, it's the end of the line for Grime.

Maybe I should have gone for that Confuse Ray... sigh. Grime's fate is sealed. Crabrawler outspeeds her, and we can't switch...

Hrrrghggh.

Death #8: Grime the Zubat

Cause of Death: Pursuit from Kahuna Hala's Crabrawler

Level 7 - 17

Joined in Part 2, Died in Part 5

Parting Words: I remember when I first caught you and how I had to train you without a partner. You only had Astonish and Absorb, and yet you pushed through, and eventually you managed to become the partner of my ace and put in serious work in a battle that really mattered: the kahuna himself. Without you, we probably would have lost the run to Hala. Thanks for everything.

Current Party:
+

...WELL WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT, K-pop doesn't give a flying fuck about All-Out Pummeling and crits with Disarming Voice for the kill! That settles that!

And in case you haven't heard, they recently discovered that the critical hit chance was actually nerfed in gen 7. It used to be 6.25%, but now it's ~4.17%. Ain't that something.

It's over, we are free!

Well, not yet. We have one crucial task to do before I forget: find K-pop a partner (once again) at Ten Carat Hill! We have the potential for some seriously choice pokemon here.

Just look at that, oh man.

Alright, with Tauros at our behest, let's scour the island for everything we can gather, and then let's see what exciting capture awaits us!

Maybe I should just not be optimistic ever again.

Saltarello the Spinda joins the party!

Encounter Location: Ten Carat Hill

Nature: Timid (Spe+/Atk-)

Ability: Own Tempo

Name Origin: I'm salty.

General Thoughts: To be fair, Spinda's usability is passable at this point in the game, but AHGKJSHKJFDGKD MACHOP, ROGGENROLA, ANYONE, DON'T LEAVE ME WITH THIS!

Current Party:
+
+

New pair: K-pop the Brionne and Saltarello the Spinda

Not gonna lie, with the way things have been going lately, it's kinda taken the fire out of me. The recent loss of
Grime in a battle I thought she had in the bag combined with the capture of
Saltarello and
Vaporwave really isn't doing me any favors in terms of morale.

K-pop, you're my beacon of hope. As long as you're still around, this run is not over.
Vaudeville, it could go either way with you; I hope you can prove yourself as we get through this monster of a game.

END Part 5

T

The_E364

This just gets better and better for you doesn't it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)