• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Screenshot [UCL2] Venin Hand (Poison Monotype)

Toyotasomi no Miko

Toyo the Toyo, ft. Ultra Eviolite Rhydon
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 28, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
he/they
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Howdy! I'm Toyo the Toyo. So this is what the inside of a Pokedex is like...
Am I going to regret this? Perhaps. Am I going to have fun? Also perhaps!

Also happy Halloween. Poison's the best type for this after Ghost and Dark which have... issues in a monotype that I am not ready for.

1. Only catch the first Pokemon of your type in each route or area. This also includes Pokemon that will evolve into your type. Caves count as one area. Suggestion: Make a list of Pokemon in your current region that are legit catches and keep it near you while you play
1a. Gift Clause: You may receive a gift and get a catch of your type in each area/Town/or Cave. You are limited to one gift per area though so you cannot get Eevee and Abra from Goldenrod City if your type is Psychic
1b. Dupes Clause: You may ignore all Pokemon not of your Type (unless they evolve into your type). You may keep getting encounters until you find a Pokemon you do not already have of your type. You may catch dupes if you desire (to use or hold as backups)
1c. Shiny Clause: Shiny Pokemon may be caught/used regardless of its type. Also I'm adding an extra clause of "don't grind out time for a shiny"
1d. Starter Clause: For generations 3 and 5, I have permission to hack in a poison type for starter. Gen 3 I will at least make an honest attempt with Dustox before hacking in another thing, while Gen 5 is just being Stunky because otherwise I wouldn't be nuzlocking until post-Lenora and that's too far
1e. Wurmple Clause: Speaking of Dustox, I may keep using any Wurmple that evolve into Silcoon until either I catch one that becomes Cascoon or we reach Petalburg Woods due to its unreadable evolution method. If all three Wurmple before the woods are Silcoon I will be very upset, possibly even cry,

2. Faint = box eternally

3. Nickname city

4. Games end as follows:
Kanto: Pokemon League Champion
Johto: Johto League Champion
Hoenn: Hoenn League Champion
Sinnoh: Sinnoh League Champion
Black/White: Stop Ghetsis
Kalos: Kalos League Champion
Alola: Alolan League Champion

we all know kanto and also i have another kanto run so i will be doing this quickly to get it out of the way and there will be much more self inflicted memes before i get to the more fun commentary in johto

okay one last actually important comment before we get into meme hell
there are exactly THREE things i get access to that are not weak to psychic: drapion, stunky line, and alolan grimer
you may have noticed that none of them are available in the first three generations, as well as the fifth generation if i didn't turn in my "get a poison pokemon before gym 2 free" card
this is going to suck until then since both kanto and hoenn have psychic gym leaders, but will from johto might be doable with the level advantage + coverage

one run i'll get the 420 number somewhere in my trainer id since smoking and weed and whatnot are sometimes poisonous
this is not that run

this is the only time my starter choice is forced besides generation 5
timid is a Big Oof

especially since that means i had to use the potion

weeeeeee

i nearly began looking here before remembering that the nidorans aren't here in frlg
oops

can i have this weedle? no? :(

fine i'll look here so training a kakuna if i get it in the forest isn't actually hell

(this took long enough that i got seeds)

According to all known laws of aviation,

i was about to take on this fight
except then i remembered that doing this would be an absolutely horrible idea
pidgey has gust and charmander has ember
even with beedrill i don't like the odds SO this is the first time in years that i'm skipping this fight

free money? for an antidote? it's more likely than you think (until generation 7 (where i may keep one or two handy just in case (i hope the salandit i get there is female)))

found three of these buggers before even a single weedle, i'm glad i caught it outside

i will teach your caterpie how to make pokemon hacks if you give me a couple weeks (seriously i might use butterfree sometime soon (SWSH SPOILERS) because of the gigantamax)

kakoolna

oh yeah bulbasaur got vine whip too
not kakuna though
that'd be weird as hell

anyways gym happened and bee is now as full force as it'll be for a while

as for the gym itself i just pushed a like, 7 times and won
fight -> vine whip -> two level boxes -> don't switch -> fight -> vine whip
this part would be too short for my likings though so we're going a bit farther

i literally only found out about this when i was playing this yesterday

S P E E D

poor colton can't stop an elite bee like barry b benson
...beelite? ebeete? pun needs more work

i would have taken the nature screen again (it's serious) but i thought nidoran line having hustle was in gen 3 when it was actually a hidden in gen 5
thank you brain, very cool

i saved greg specifically for pokearchy because he's literally just free exp

what, and i cannot stress this enough, tunnel

berry time

the pokearchy, not wanting me to suffer yet, crit the zubat
given how sucky its moveset is at this level i am okay with this, and the next time i find one it'll have bite or be very close to it

anyways say hi to my only steel magnemite line coverage until the ground or fire tms

poison + leech seed is good enough, and i'll absolutely be getting oddish later on so i can pass sleep powder for now

this will not survive to the end of this part

look i don't even WANT your fossil
the only fossil i could even use isn't even a fossil or even available in a reasonable timespan, it's nihilego!!!!!

i beat him up and got this in response and as for why i evolved it now besides stats, here's the rest of nidorino's moves
poison sting: lol no
horn attack: i'm teaching him mega kick from right outside because it's got the highest average power between it (90), mega punch(68), and this(65) and also i like imagining nidoking doing the bowser side smash from 4/ultimate
helping hand: double lol no
fury attack: completely outclassed by mega punch, only hitting 75 bp on a 5 hit, for the same accuracy
flatter: omega lol no
horn drill: getting this means i won't get megahorn, and also i won't be able to use it much anyways

this choice has no effect on the game whatsoever

i spent longer than i would have liked actually searching for the bowser drop kick as a caption before deeming the joke not worth it

go snek :)

no snek :(
(this was literally the second battle and it got killed by crit wrap i hate this but also oh well, i'll have chances later)

yo i'm gonna put off misty for a bit because, frankly, starmie's raw numbers scare me

concerning but fine

if i ever lose the gastly i get in pokemon tower i will actually be doomed-
...wait, what do you mean i have to fight it twice as a kadabra before i can get gastly?!

since i lost ekans nidoking is the only thing not weak to fire for now

and then the rat died

no.

hahaha weed
and also it's oddium wanderus i guess

gave barry this thing to help him keep up for now, since no one else wants it and i probably won't need it later

i think he's dead now oops so i'll take the ticket and go

we'll go past here next time
...or maybe take on misty
maybe a little of both, not sure if i'm ready for the raw numbers behind starmie yet

Chess

birds can't hurt me these shades are gucci
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Team Omega
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
They/Them/She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Grass
Pokédex Entry
can be bribed with shiny objects and spices to do household repairs. utterly incapable of many things, but does them anyway
Wait how did that guy take rock tunnel from cerulean city, that's illegal

Looks like you do have the earlygame set though, the only real threatening thing is that kadabra and you can oneshot it with most things probably

surfe

I am SHOPKEEP. I desire ALL RUBLES.
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
hi
umm ACKSHUALLY the rival fight on route 22 is given custom movesets specifically to avoid having any non-normal damaging moves to make the fight unfair. Furthermore,

Go poison! This is Kanto so doing a monolocke is pretty much just a regular nuzlocke with like 3 mons off limits. I don't think you have anything to fear from Psychic's Kadabra until it evolves...

Shark

Training to be Cute
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is inconcievably cute. It tries to intimidate its foes with its long, luscious locks, but to little avail.
i hope you know i fucking love nidoking take it far

actually take all of these mons far poison slaps
godspeed

Toyotasomi no Miko

Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 28, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
he/they
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
gee toyo, two updates in a day? call it halloween treat or something

Chess: Mount Moon, you mean. And yeah, really the tricky part with it is dealing with the last couple fights where it's got Psychic.

Surfe: Honestly, yeah, you're right, and even then I'm pretty sure some of them have the typeless (for now) Future Sight

Cleffachi: boy will i try my best to

okay so as it turns out misty does NOT have a psychic move contrary to what i thought in frlg, only eeveechu does that

lol secret power proc (the damage is from a crit, i keep forgetting how relatively tanky beedrill is specially)

i sent it to sleep and after switching it woke up in like the first turn it could

leech seed plus vine whip saves the day

the... two trades that are available that would just give me pokearchy 2 and 3?

ok misty

this is the first guy with any psychic type pokemon whatsoever, so i should be caref

SIDESMASHED INTO NEXT WEEK
pokearchy this isn't a story-based thing, get back into the run

anyways hey, it's free stab and also lets me erase surge off the face of the earth

peck was a good move but i won't need it anymore

i never understood why they parked the daycare on a ledge

this is literally one of two trades i will ever reasonably be able to make
(the other is on route 11 with the evolved forms)

you mean like their sanity?

imagine me putting a still image of axel's "two?!" from kingdom hearts here because trying to search for it just brings up the game

vermillion miles, vermillion miles

the old rod is useless
...in kanto. starting with when johto rolls by i can pick up tentacool with it but those are good rod only for now

i will, however, consume the voucher so i can steal the bike and run, leaving it in my inventory to gather dust until cycling road because speedup is better

VERY good news!

anyways, boat, lots of trainers here

evolution time

the door was unlocked

i immediately went "yeah, nonbinary rights!" before remembering that pokemon firered is a 2004 game and not, in fact, a 2010's one.
and also remembered gender wasn't even a thing in kanto originally except on like three pokemon
...does the point still hold, then?

brick break uhhhhhh
...actually i need time to think about who to give this to despite the obvious answer of "nidoking" being the first, maybe i'll pop it onto nidoqueen or something

hi looker

nice poison type

kensog intensifies

alright, deep breath, toyo

take out the bird

oneshot kadabra because it has bad defense, not sure if i can do this to zam too. also i missed and that was one confusion.

and just sail from there. phew!

GIVE ME YOUR EDGE

Captain! Watch out for those roc- ...oh. Uh, let us never speak of this incident.

someone had to take it for the team, and since i feel like bee's gonna unfortunately be boxed after erika/giovanni,

sharper leaves for attacking

hah, first try! well, if first try means "they don't reset on me", anyways

i don't think i need to post anything about surge except this one screenshot. it tells the whole fight

ok surge
(i'm feeling deja vu)

i mean i don't need it but i like having it

yeet

i don't need two poisonpowder users, and i want a slot to put sludge bomb later, so according to everyone's favorite law this will bite me back later

alright so since i missed it last time, bat this time! next level it learns bite, so-

ah. right. kanto's awful, awful level curve.

...we'll be back after the break

Toyotasomi no Miko

Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 28, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
he/they
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
i want out of vanilla kanto FAST so we're accelerating very quickly

♫ so we back in the mines ♫
wait this isn't a mine

bruce can actually put in some work! just gotta get him enemies he won't die on

imagine having rock smesh

did you know arbok got rock slide? neither did i, it helps her stay relevant

i don't see what's so scary about it!
...hey, hidden in the rocks, is that lo-

free at last!

ah yes, crepe pastey zone,

in this thread we LOVE the snek
go owt kensog!!!! go!!!!!

anyways bruce can stand his own now
...actually, now that i think about it, can i even evolve this thing to [looks at smudged writing on other hand] crowbar

mom didn't say it was your turn on the rage yet

oh right there's
literal handful of double battles since there's no way for two unrelated trainers to do that in frlg

you'll be dead by the end of the part

anyways

experience points bring me, my dude

that sweet, sweet, exp

oh and dunking on this
next i see it'll be a kaDABra [insert a random dab emoji here]

now EAT MY

...oh. you survived. well, i'm faster.

you too

the exp beckons while it's hot off the grill, so i instead buy... honestly enough repels for the rest of the game. possibly. hopefully.

thank you trainer's gastly, for the free exp

anyways that's done now

regional voltorb, which is a poisonous but fluffy boy,
(DISCLAIMER: if there is an actual regional voltorb i don't know of it, this is a joke)

this looks like some weird anime intro

i mean, i wasn't using leer, this isn't going to be used much either,

anyways, couple of things

celadepartore

DRINKS

a feeling of dread for being unable to use any of these

an even bigger feeling of dread when you want some tms

got some powerful moves: flamethrower's more of a temporary investment for erika but i may keep it, who knows

😔

bruce keeps goin

you are burning is what you are

the pokearchy agrees with me, channeling his newfound flame hyenard strengths

ok erika

...except like, actually ok this time. absorb and acid for offense moves do not good a make

i have bird power

oh right i probably should have done this first, now i'll be overleveled as hell for the grunts

diavolo?!

in this spinning tile hell?! it's more likely than you think

all kanto runs are, y'know, obligated if it's screenshot to post this

okay this should actually be a clean sweep with iv

...oh, right. uh. kangaskhan. that's one razor leaf versus it mega punching me.

you say i can't rely on the pokearchy for everything? you fool. you're wrong about that. i will rely on him as much as i need to

anyways, ghosts

but first let me deliver the tea to this unhygenic man
seriously

oh and snag this
now i can at least have the (pick: gastly/haunter) do *something* in the tower
also i wish it lowered both special stats

i tried super repelling to the higher floors, but it... didn't pan out, unfortunately. gastly it is.

A N I N D I A N E L E P H A N T

someone draw something with these colors in roughly these squares. it may not be marowak, nor exactly shaped like it. make it cool, make it keen

and also remember to eat your green

oh it. blew up. okay. this was one of the rocket grunts
darn, but at the same time i might have boxed beedrill anyways around this point so w/e

sure just let me check something first

sweet, neutral gastly... gonna have to link cable this bad girl later

floot

oh, right, gastly psychic. took me a bit.

i warned you about your reckoning.

this is probably one of the two times i'll ever use ghost's variant of curse in a nuzlocke ever since snorlax can't actually deal any damage to a ghost in the wild

(it's a level)

the other is thanosed the same way

next time: i'll probably have this gastly ground up into a gengar and roughly equal level to the rest of the gang

mint0h

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Fairy
this looks like some weird anime intro

One thing that greatly annoys me about FRLG is how they didn’t really bother to properly integrate double battle as an essential part of the game and story. Like, it’s just pushed off to the side really.
When do you plan on evolving Wanderweed? Stone evolutions tend to not learn certain moves at higher levels, so I think I get what you’re going for.
I’m also curious as to how you’ll deal with Koga, who at this point seems like a stalemate for your challenge.

Last edited:

Shark

Training to be Cute
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is inconcievably cute. It tries to intimidate its foes with its long, luscious locks, but to little avail.
pokearchy reigns supreme

also rip barry, that stinks

nice gastly tho, good use of ghost curse

roll koga with psychic and pokearchy gogogogogo

Toyotasomi no Miko

Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 28, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
he/they
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
mint0h: i watched toradora like, forever ago back during my extreme anime phase, but i forgot about that part of the intro
really there's only one move i'm interested in that vileplume doesn't get

Cleffachi: he really does reign and frankly it's not stopping any time soon
he didn't sweep koga though, you can probably guess what happened

man link cabling with myself sure is fun and lets me get to gengar at a quick pace

i also decided to do the fighting dojo now to cover up some more levels

she was fine despite the ten level difference because of psychic

makin a pit stop here for the rod. i can't fish up tentacool in kanto for some reason, but

1% :)

naive is a horrible nature for grimer/muk but this is fine

hey remember that rocket? he was the start of a horrible event chain

crits aren't fun

make it to fuchsia with no problems

i... honestly forgot why i got this
maybe i thought there was something else i could fish up but? no.

something more obscure about the safari zone

so since we're only allowed one thing PERIOD due to ucl rules, i actually need to think about what i want. i don't trust my chances with another nido (and i wanna save a nido for johto for at least a little bit of difference), so i headed to area 2

repels work in the safari zone, and a level 32 (or 31) guarantees a venomoth which i somehow caught before it fled
i'll go over specs in a bit, lemme finish up here first

boom, boom.

bold nature is actually alright; i'd have preferred modest but can't get 'em all, i guess

and then we use some hms
...i asked if i should give gengar strength over curse and someone said yes
not like i'll need the move slot anyways

and now the other side of the megagauntlet

nice x2 combo

here's what i kept putting this off for. may as well make wanderweed whole tank

gauntlet done
...hm. i'd take on koga right now, but even with the five resistances, i feel like my chances could be blown up at any time
guess i'll do silph first for once

no cutting allowed
you know, i wonder if i'll be allowed to let bruce evolve into cr

oh. that was... death by boom number 2. i hate the defense halving effect

eighty vee's best move before this was gust, and i don't have any other stronger tms or special attack ones

key

my own anxiety over kanto

out

this took two leech lifes because one was a crit
despite only having 30 power because of the stab it's alrightish

MY SUFFERING WITH A PHYSICAL MOVE IS OVER

future sight fails if the target is underground

and gyarados is gyaradone, all that's left is charizard, which rock slide should take care of

...wait, it didn't?

NO!!!

get out.

...wait, you're not a poison type

bye

not for long you aren't

pretty clean fight besides kanga but that's only since i was adamant about using grimer

thank you president, very cool

Having flooded the president's room and taken one of the Prototype Master Balls, Pokearchy makes his grand exit by digging down through ten of the eleven floors of the Silph Company, causing thousands, if not possibly low millions, of dollars of structural damage,

...eh, sure, i'll take on koga real quick

okAY NEVER MIND NEVER MIND THIS WAS PSYCHIC GYM PART ONE FOR SOME REASON
(after that initial scare i changed my plan of action a bit)

this wasn't that plan of action, but i figure i should do it anyways

hah, you are a poison master? you're like a little baby. watch this

psycc

why can't this be sludge bomb
basically every member of my team would appreciate sludge bomb over toxic
and why the hell is sb postgame?

whatever, next time we head blainewards and do everything that doesn't have sabrina's name on it because we aren't anywhere near ready for that and likely won't be until after blaine. like, the venomoth and kadabra? sure, fine. mr mime? probably a bit of trouble, but also doable with the little extra exp from the gym levels. alakazam? no way do i feel confident five levels under even with badge boosts

Shark

Training to be Cute
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
Jeez, losing Kabloom, Bruce, and Owt? im sorry

but pokearchy is god
good luck with blaine!!! nice job with hell gauntlet

Chess

birds can't hurt me these shades are gucci
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Team Omega
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
They/Them/She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Grass
Pokédex Entry
can be bribed with shiny objects and spices to do household repairs. utterly incapable of many things, but does them anyway
oh god them's some losses. Kanto why

mint0h

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Fairy
NO SNEK!!!

Also fishing up literal pond sludge as your encounter for Celadon is really clever.
Getting Venomoth late is pretty good, since it has better stats than Butterfree for the most part, and can learn Psychic on its own via level-up.
Tentacruel has pretty good SpDef, so that might be your best bet against Alakazam, maybe. As well as something that can set up Light Screen.

Last edited:

Toyotasomi no Miko

Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 28, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
he/they
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
kanto? in only five updates? more likely than you think

Cleffachi: yeah that was the big oof but it... improves for this last part

Chess: because firered and leaf green are bad games
i'd have taken no candy eeveechu over this kanto, honestly, but we can't choose eeveechu for the kanto game because [todo: ask stormer]

mint0h: honestly i feel that gengar's probably my best bet because her physical attack may be bad, but so is zam's physical defense

i wanted to call this update "🦀 KANTO IS GONE 🦀" but spoiler names don't allow the emoji

i like what i see

NO YOU WILL NOT

took me a bit to remember to teach her surf, wow

honestly? swimming ain't that great either

...oh. that's. literally 1 hp goldeen. ouch.
i even used toxic on it but forgot to screencap that because i'm am a dumb

olympia... 2!
except she's probably being boxed for her own safety because that's just. so low.

hmmm... do i? i could find a shiny...

i do
also hi articuno, how you doing

(there were not any shinies in the seafoam islands)

time to go open blaine's gym i guess

oh yeah
it's all coming together

what's an osha

NOT TODAY, SATAN ORB

yoink

went heading north to fish around for more exp
also i got rid of self-destruct to avoid any misclicks

he's dummy thicc, and the clap of his triple digit defense stat keeps alerting the

...oh. that was one of the last trainers on the route.
well then!

vs seeker bad
ev from wilds good

megahorn VERY good

solid levels best
vileplume's gonna not see use in this gym and i can probably do the last of la bomba's levels on the trainers

hahaha stony
what would tombstony even do
a tombstone i could see for like, a ghost/rock pokemon though
why the hell do we not have that

i was today years old when i learned i could interact with the blaine/fuji photo on the wall here

Hah!
You better have SURF HEAL!

were there a water/poison type pokemon that could get fire blast, i would do that
but since there isn't i eventually put it onto weezing

oh hi bill's ghost, take me to the islands for some more exp

thanks

that's what i'm going to do

but first let me complain about how you aren't ever given any floor mushrooms unless you backtrack to mount moon or get an idea after catching paras(ect) in the safari zone

that's even worse than selfdestruct

useless hm! it's locked behind sabrina's badge
...right, i still need to face her, huh.

it's been 300 years, but sleep powder fell out of use and petal dance is IN
even if it only has 70 bp meaning it isn't that much stronger
look, it's the use count that makes it worth it here

mount ember actually has zero encounters! just here for some more exp
it'll also be the best place to grind for blue pre-victory road

NO

better than shadow punch, and i'm probably gonna need it for zam purposes

hey there moltres
...why do i feel like we forgot something? oh well, can't be that important if i forgot

berry forest, i'll get her

but first let me examine this rock that insists it's multiple and annoy this group of bikers

yoink

...okay, so i can't put it off any longer now, huh?

even if she's not used in battle, olympia 2! is still pulling her weight in other ways behind the scenes, like keeping this run stable and getting eighty vee her best move
...stab-wise. her best stab move.

you did, huh?

but did you foresee THIS?! (everything else was also a oneshot)

since i can't use bruce's corpse to fly, i got a pidgey and called it "hm me mommy"
why? uh, i actually don't know what the thought process that led to that was

(i didn't use it in any battles though, just transport)

both rhyhorn and the dugtrio were all killed with the same petal dance

the pokearchy has better earthquakes than nidoqueen

and spop finishes giovanni off. earth badge get, but also

He is complete.
(or at least, as close as possible to without sludge bomb why is that postgame agh)

oh yeah speaking of sludge bomb, gup learns it naturally
imagine if the other pokemon i had did... hahaha...

(this was grinding at mt ember)

i mean, i had the walkthrough so you weren't unexpected at all

lol crit sludge on turn 2

yete

thank you gatekeeper, but also let me date you please, you must have some feelings to report to me... right?

okay i hope this is the last time i have to say "don't kill yourself"

psychic atv is welcome though

problem: e4 caps at 63
problem 2: my team is only low 50's

solution: grind up to 58 on victory road while also complaining about how screwed up the latter half of kanto's level curve is
this will be plenty

we're all tired of kanto, let's get 'er done

freeze

except don't, actually, i would prefer to stay thawed out

whomst hamst

(can you tell i'm running out of things to say about kanto)

this was a little bit off of a kill so i figured why not

you...

okay i can't put down anything funny for agatha, it was all a no damage sweep
like, zero. gengar moved first and got a quintuple kill all the way through

no you don't, that's [looks at smudged writing on hand] psychic's job

these aren't even dragons! give me the dragons!

...oh. i thought this was a dragonair. this is fine.

had to healstall, but i'm fine
probably

that was too close for comfort with the second dragonair, not gonna lie

that's a scam, here's six reasons why

see? six reasons, and they're all poison

johto, uh, whenever i want to i guess
probably gonna focus on my other run for a bit before i go to johto tbh, especially since i just tore through kanto in a couple of days, and can probably do the same for johto and hoenn
...the latter presuming i can get past roxanne with dustox, which in itself is a little bit of an "oh no"

Stormer

Swamp Wizard
🎇Contributor
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Water, Ground
Pokédex Entry
The expert in all things Swampy
Not a bad run through Kanto my friend! Nice job and RIP to all the fallen. Good luck on Johto!

Shark

Training to be Cute
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pronouns
She/Her/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
fuck kanto

nice job, rip to the fallen but pokearchy is different

nice no loss e4, go fuck up johto
ill join you soon

mint0h

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Fairy
I eagerly await Hoenn and Sinnoh, since those games don't really have a typical Poison-type user (maybe you could count Jupiter but).

Toyotasomi no Miko

Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 28, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
he/they
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
So you know how I said I'd be putting this off so I could focus on my other run? And how I said I was playing Crystal?

Stormer: Thank you, my dude! Here's hoping this will, uh... go... not terribly? They probably will go terribly but look I wanna be optimistic.

Shark: seconded

Virgin Fallen versus Chad Pokearchy

i'll definitely heck up johto

mint0h: Johto doesn't really have much either besides Koga, either, but Koga's also pretty bleh. Still, Hoenn and Sinnoh (and also Old Unova and Kalos, no poison experts in those) will be interesting to see.

hi oak, i'm xic the female trainer from new bark because ethan's design was a mistake
also we're back to no grammar whatsoever besides sometimes, it fits me more
(cropping images wasn't hard, just tedious, and i didn't do it for everything)

so unlike last time we're gonna have to do something slightly differently

that specifically is "use an illegal pokemon for a little bit"
not too long though, just until route 30 with pokeballs walks by

no feathers: check
biped: check
you can call me diogenes, because i'm MESSING EVERYTHING UP

we won't have man for long, but he will be good

you're no potion seller

you know the full name is actually kinda hilarious in hindsight
since, y'know,

no, i'm not a rookie, be quiet

i will, however, steal your shoes

just keep walking and they'll go away...

sir no i am not sick
oh
that's not what you mean

finally, the last ingredient for my mystery omelet, was wonder when i'd get it

no
and yes, you indeed have stayed too long! perish!

honestly i feel the rocket design fits poison most
weird how this would completely take out the first panic from "yes the rockets are back" for those who didn't play gsc

no you won't

he's stuck and needs a walkthrough
this is absolutely not missing an h and an o at the start

hey :b:elm buddy fry this up for me will you

it will pay off eventually

cool! on to route 30, where...
wait we have to wait until night don't we

[like 4 hours pass since the first half of recording]

...the starter awaits
the fact this is available is why i had a last minute switch to heartgold rather than soulsilver, among other things

because honestly? i will take only attack being poison sting over that 1/3 chance of having to start with kakuna instead
i may be a masochist, but i'm not that much of one

what is a secrets?! a miserable little pile of man!
(i figure since i can't use him, i may as well get one last meme out of him)

the hoothoot on route 29, of all things, are my best bet
they give a lot of exp, don't have a high attack stat (but still deal a significant amount with that trade), and have more moves they can call than tackle, meaning less healing
also they're like 80% or something here compared to route 30's 30%

it takes until level 5 to feel any level of safe
also i forgot that it autoadvances past the move learning screen
anyways scary face is so much better than string shot

so anyways, this guy.

a single quick attack can call 6 damage on a high roll, and that's not a crit
similarly, one poison sting did that little
i needed all three of those levels to even stand a chance

i am not immune to joey.

i wish this guy were the first instead, two caterpie would be much easier to handle than level 4 rat

catch time!

neutral... neutral good.
also this ended up being why i chose firered for kanto: leafgreen would have had bellsprout while firered has oddish, so i wanted something different

meanwhile, dark cave! i encountered like 8 geodude before a single zubat!

jolly is an incredible nature for a bat that will soon be moving at incredibly hihg speeds

i wanted to feed bruce some exp. very badly. it was a, uh, time to say the least!

but regardless, i am free from route 30! also hi item i'll literally never use

and a spooky ghost from sprout tower to cap up this part

a, uh, very dangerous spooky ghost!
so now you're probably wondering why the update's being called here instead of after falkner or something
there's a couple reasons aside from it being late at night and also me just wanting to post this but here's the main gist of it

these are the team's levels. now, that on its own may not seem bad, but the wilds i have to grind on for falkner besides what sprout tower gives me are levels 4 to 6, which isn't a whole lot when falkner has a level 13 pidgeotto(the pidgey isn't a problem), and speaking of that pidgeotto, it has gust! so let's look at the team and see what has good matchups on it

-spime and bellial are straight out, they have no chance of winning due to the flying weakness (spime can probably take one hit to try and poison, but a crit will also probably nuke it out)
-2spop4u could stand a chance... if it had any damaging moves that on a normal type. since neither lick or night shade doesn't affect normal types, and curse is way too risky on something frail like gastly, its first move that does anything to those birds safely is sucker punch at level 22. no way am i going that far on single digit wilds
-zubat's first move of nonresisted move is bite at level... 13! and until then, it's leech life and astonish!

this grind is going to be awful but it'll lighten in difficulty after him, probably

surfe

I am SHOPKEEP. I desire ALL RUBLES.
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
hi
Oh dang, Johto has way more poison types earlygame than I thought which makes sense actually because 90% of johto is just kanto mons anyway

Have fun suffering against Falkner! I guess maybe if you spam Zubat's bite against his mons they'll flinch so much they won't be able to recover? Also rip man, if only you'd grown feathers like the rest of the dinosaurs.

Toyotasomi no Miko

Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 28, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
he/they
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
okay just to make you viewers be aware, the less efficient speedup combined with the... wonkiness of hgss means that updates are likely to cover overall less ground than in kanto! hgss emulation is a heck since i don't wanna do logs until i have to
[looks at y and ultra sun nervously]

surfe: yeah, there's a significant number of early poison types, but they start to drop down for a bit after
and you'll see what i did for falkner

so fun thing i didn't connect the brain cells to until getting footage
basically everything in here is free since vine whip is resisted by not only poison, but also flying and bug
especially since bruce... 2! can just heal off the grass damage with leech life
never thought there'd be a time where leech life good before alola

well you're not doing a very good job of it, then, since you aren't shooting me with bellsprout cannons or anything

top floor's a little trickier not only because the levels stop being at 3, but also because there's a couple hoothoots too
which have peck i believe so i'll have to do some coop chipping down

but can it light the darkness of the fear of a lack of psychic resistances for this game and hoenn

...i mean
this is probably the move to go after string shot's redundancy
still, it means that spime can now deal damage to other poison types instead of res- wait what do you mean poison sting is still stronger by a couple of base points

he don't care

actually i just need to fight you so falkner's in his gym

there may have been some miscalculations, but it turned out fine with no deaths

oh also bat is level 9
maybe the grind won't be as bad as i thought it would be

thanks but no thanks, i can handle my own

...actually, on second thought, give me flash. i need to reveal the town and also my menu icons
elder li learned some new persuasion techniques, it seems

anyways route 32! i started the grind here before remembering some other stuff so let's check those out

imagine having a way to smash rocks... :(

on the other hand, there's also Thousands of Years Old Mystery Powder
anyways, grinding stuff

wrap on bellsprout and leech life on spinarak are... pretty much filler, but the former still needs four moves and the latter can scrap string shot because she has scary face

and the moves i'll rely on most
why yes, i did forget falkner's pidgeotto had roost until i started this update, why do you ask

anyways gimme some water
...wait, that's unova

a generic trainer nearly gave me a heart attack
2 of the 5 hits were criticals and i already was at like, 30 hp or something

anyways

go away, you don't even have a flying move

so looks like i'm gonna have to rely on curse a THIRD time, contrary to what i said in kanto, but i calculated it out, and...

just enough hp to take curse halving and gust
well actually my calculations said it was a little more, but. also you may have noticed that if the gust was a crit, i'd have lost gastly! it was either risk losing gastly or just wipe so this was the better risk

anyways, freebie switch to bruce...2! to take care of the rest

it takes a few turns, but it then comes to attention that i just barely can't deal enough damage to keep up with roost
i will spoil that i win, so interactivity time!
what happens on my next turn, do i
a) win a speed tie and kill
b) start the long haul that is stalling it out of roost pp
c) crit bite or just get a high enough roll to outdamage roost

the correct answer was actually d) pidgeotto uses tackle and misses while still in range of dying to bite! what the hell, game

what trade
there's literally no trades i can do because the only ones i had any access to were the nidoran trades in kanto, and i never got any nidoran to instead guarantee my atv

this is actually a really good move!
probably gonna hold off on giving it to zubat though because its moveset SUCKS and honestly it's still in the "uses all four of the moves pretty often, yes even supersonic" phase

anything
also no i don't want to carry the egg, i thought i told you to prepare the omelette

ok fine i'll do it myself

the last ingredient for my mystery omelette, yes

now i just turn up the temperature, and... there!
onwards with my journey now

oooh, free damage boost for bellial

please, not while you're on the phone

anyways, this route right here is the main reason i decided to play heartgold and not crystal at the last minute

oh hey, sleep powder! now bellial has a full moveset!

cool, old rod! now i can fish up tentacool

gonna want to do that sooner rather than later, so now we get to backtrack

a lot
also johto's level curve is bad and needs help

like, back to the first town a lot
see, we're allowed to get both a gift and a regular encounter in an area, which means...

five percent chance squidward tentacles and also a guaranteed catch on route 32 thanks to dupes
it'll all come together a little after morty

that's REAL chonky on the special side
physical will leave some to be desired but good lord special bulk is great

anyways, turns out slowpoketail man is a reality warper, who knew

the low level of johto means that tentacool is still on par so he can be caught up
incredibly slowly because all he has is poison string and constrict to work with, but he will catch up

when? not this part. maybe the next

mint0h

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water, Fairy
Tentacruel is awesome to use! Toxic Spikes, good offensive movepool, and Liquid Ooze basically acts as an anti-LeechLife barrier. It’d be cool if you somehow got Qwilfish too, since I don’t believe you’ll have much of a chance in your later runs.
Just a heads up, you may want to wait until Friday so that you can get the Poison Barb from Frieda on Route 32.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)