• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Written Log [UCL2] Heir of Volcanion: a Water/Fire 7-region Duolocke

Thread Description
Things are getting steamy over here...

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is a master of having too many projects at the same time. Also, Pikablu.
Oh hey, I'm late to this! Oh boy! Anyway, you've read the title, you know what's in store. But first the rules!
1. Only catch the first Pokemon of your types (Water or Fire) in each route or area. This also includes Pokemon that will evolve into one of your types. Caves count as one area. Suggestion: Make a list of Pokemon in your current region that are legit catches and keep it near you while you play
1a. Gift Clause: You may recieve a gift and get a catch of your types in each area/Town/or Cave. You are limited to one gift per area though so you cannot get Eevee and Abra from Goldenrod City if one of your types is Psychic. You may not get one gift or catch per type.
1b. Dupes Clause: You may ingore all Pokemon not of your Types (unless they evolve into your types). You may keep getting encounters until you find a Pokemon you do not already have of one your types. You may catch dupes if you desire (to use or hold as backups)
1c. Shiny Clause: Shiny Pokemon may be caught and used regardless of its type. This includes the Red Gyarados in Gen 2.

2. Faint = Dead

3. Nickname all the Pokemon

4. Games end as follows:
Kanto (LeafGreen): Pokemon League Champion
Johto (Gold): Johto League Champion
Hoenn (Emerald): Hoenn League Champion
Sinnoh (Pearl): Sinnoh League Champion
Unova (White): Stop Ghetsis
Kalos (X): Kalos League Champion
Alola (Sun): Alolan League Champion

5. There is no Rule 5

6. Legendary Pokemon may not be used.

Games chosen for the challenge: Gold - LeafGreen - Emerald - Pearl - White - X - Sun
Signup Date: June 23rd, 2019

Trainer Card creator by Pokecharms
Gen 6 sprites from Smogon XY Sprite Project
Let's get started, with... not Kanto! We're doing this from earliest to latest game, so it's Gold time! Johto is actually one of the regions I'm least familiar with, so this should be fun...
Our main character this time around will be named Stefan (because steam, because water+fire, haha). We get out of bed at the very reasonable time of 1:30 AM, and proceed to go downstairs where Mom gives us our Pokegear and tells us about Prof. Elm, who is waiting for us at his lab.

We sprint (or rather, walk, since the concept of running hasn't been invented yet) on over to Elm's lab, and we get our pick for a starter Pokemon. We can choose either Totodile or Cyndaquil according to our ruleset, and I'm gonna go with Cyndaquil. As a general rule of thumb, I'll be getting the fire starter in most cases, because Fire types are generally rarer than Water types. We name our Cyndaquil Larry, because our nicknaming theme is whichever name pops into my head. Elm sends us to see Mr. Pokemon, and we set off.

Route 29 is a bit of a breeze, and we reach Cherrygrove with Larry at level 7. An old man gives us a tour (which we skip with our x1000 speedup button), as well as a Map Card for our Pokegear. We move onward to Route 30, meet Mr. Pokemon who gives us a Pokemon egg, and Professor Oak who gives us the Pokedex. On the way back through Route 30, Larry gets to level 8.

As we move onward, we meet our rival at the edge of Cherrygrove. Our gained levels prove too much for his Totodile, and we beat him with a bunch of Tackles. As he leaves, he tells us his name is (and I quote) "???", so when the police asks me about it I just repeat what he told me. Professor Elm's aide hands me some pokeballs, and so the challenge begins.

Sadly, however, we don't have any catches for the time being. The tall grass in Routes 29, 46, and 30 hold no Water or Fire types (at least not in this game, Crystal has Poliwag in Route 30), so we trudge onward. Route 31 and Dark Cave similarly have no encounters in the grass, so it's looking like we'll have to face Falkner just with Larry. Speaking of Larry, he's gained enough EXP to get to Level 10 and get Smokescreen.

We stroll into Violet City and, after a Pokemon Center pit stop, we go into the gym to fight Falkner's lackeys. They actually prove to be a bit of a challenge, requiring a Potion, but we rise above and get Larry to level 12, getting him Ember as well. With that done, it's time to go to Sprout Tower.

Emerging from the charred remains of the tower, Larry has grown to level 15 and evolved into a Quilava! I actually got surprised by that, I didn't know it evolved so quickly! I'm pretty sure we're more than ready for taking on Falkner, so we enter the gym once again. Falkner sends his Pidgey and we take it out with 2 tackles. Then, Falkner sends his illegal Pidgeotto and we take it out with 2 Embers. Zephyr Badge get! Also Larry leveled up again, bringing him to level 16.

We get a call from Prof. Elm, asking us to get Mr. Pokemon's Pokemon egg. Being given no other choice, we take it and immediately store it in the PC forever. Afterwards, we move onto Route 32, which actually has a possible catch in Wooper! We go into the grass and one pops up, and we swiftly weaken and catch him. We name him Damien, he has Water Gun and Tail Whip as of now. Since Larry is way too powerful, we put him at the front of the party.

This turns out to not have been that good of a choice. We struggle quite a bit to defeat the trainers in Route 32, but with liberal use of potions, we make it to the Pokemon Center before Union Cave. In the process, Damien has leveled up to level 11 and gained Slam. Within the Pokemon center is a man who holds something very important: The Old Rod. See, unlike in most other generations, here the Old Rod actually has a chance of catching something other than Magikarp!

Routes 30, 31, and Violet City have Poliwag catchable, so we'll go there to eliminate Magikarp first. We get one in Violet, but Damien accidentally knocks it out with 2 Slams. On Route 31 we actually nab a Poliwag as our first valid encounter, so Damien weakens it, we catch him, and name him Quentin. We then move on to Route 30 and actually catch a Magikarp this time. We name him Marty.

Cherrygrove has Krabby in its waters, and after a few attempts we snag one and call him Bart. New Bark has Tentacool available right now, but with a better rod we could catch a Chinchou, so we skip it. Finally, we take our first steps into Union Cave to get a Goldeen. This one took some time to bite, but finally we catch him and... accidentally don't nickname him. It's alright, we'll just call him Tom until we get to the name rater.

We'll take a break for now. Next time, Union Cave, Bugsy, and who knows what else?
Larry the Quilava, level 16 (gift from New Bark)
Damien the Wooper, level 11 (Route 32)
Quentin the Poliwag, level 10 (Route 31)
Marty the Magikarp, level 10 (Route 30)
Bart the Krabby, level 10 (Cherrygrove)
Tom the Goldeen, level 10 (Union Cave)

Last edited:

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is a master of having too many projects at the same time. Also, Pikablu.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Last time we caught a bunch of Water types. Today, we venture into Union Cave.
We enter Union Cave with Quentin, our Poliwag, at the front of the party. Since there's a bunch of Rock and Ground types here, as well as Fire type trainers, we'll be switching between Quentin and Bart (Krabby) because both of them have water type moves. By the time we get to the end, both of them have gotten to level 12, and Bart has learned Vicegrip. Route 33, at the other end of Union Cave, has no valid catches, but we stick around for a bit to train, and get Damien the Wooper and Tom the Goldeen to level 12 as well.

After this, we enter Azalea Town and are informed of the existence of Team Rocket. Seems like they're doing some shady stuff at the Slowpoke well, so local hero Kurt goes to stop them. Unfortunately, he falls down the well and dies, so now it's up to me to stop the operation. I go there with Marty the Magikarp at the front, to switch train him a bit. By the time all that's dealt with, Marty has leveled up to 11, and Larry, our Quilava, is level 17. We also catch a Slowpoke on the way back, she's level 8 and named Carla.

At that point I decide to leave Quentin over on the PC in exchange for Carla. Quentin only has Bubble, and the next move he learns is Water Gun (which I already have in Damien), besides Carla could bring some type variety to the team.

Now we can head right into Bugsy's gym. We go with Tom at the top of the party, because he's got Peck. We take care of Bugsy's lackeys easily, and in the process Tom gets to level 15 and gains Horn Attack. As for Bugsy himself, it wasn't all too difficult. His Metapod and Kakuna fall easily to Tom's Peck, but he does get poisoned by Kakuna's Poison Sting. His final Pokemon is a level 16 Scyther, so I swap Tom out for Larry, who takes care of it with a couple Embers. Hive Badge get! Also a TM for Fury Cutter.

As we leave the gym, it occurs to me that I can teach Damien Mud Slap (with the TM I got from Falkner that I forgot to mention), so I do that. We go for a quick visit to the Pokemon Center, then head off to Ilex Forest. However, before we can get there we stumble into ???, and he challenges us to a battle!

That's the problem with me not being too familiar with this game, I'm never quite sure what can happen. He sends out Gastly, and I go with Damien (because he was first in the party). I could have used the recently taught Mud Slap, but Gastly hypnotized me twice in a row. I decided to switch to Tom in order to cut it out, and I got him with a few Pecks. ??? sends Zubat, and I go with Bart. He just about manages to take the Zubat out with Vicegrip, winding up with red health.

Then, ??? sends out Croconaw. Now I'm in a bit of a pickle. Croconaw is level 16, and we have few choices. Damien is asleep, Bart is low in health, Larry is weak to Water, and Marty and Carla are basically dead weight, so Tom is our only real choice. It was a really tough match, especially considering all I had for healing was a Super Potion. After having to use that up, though, Tom pulled through and drilled the crocodile bastard to death.

Having just barely survived the battle with everyone alive somehow, we head back to the Pokemon Center to take a break, then proceed into Ilex Forest. We do the thing with the Farfetch'd and the guy, and we get HM01 Cut, which we teach to Bart. In hindsight I probably should have given it to Larry, because it's an upgrade to Tackle but a downgrade to Vicegrip, but it's already done. We also obtain TMs for Headbutt (which, given our catch limitations, is entirely useless) and Sweet Scent.

As soon as we leave Ilex, we're faced with Route 34, which has a bunch of trainers and no non-dupe catches. After sneaking past several battles to get to the Goldenrod Pokemon Center, we go back and deal with everyone there. By the time we're done, Carla, Marty, Damien and Bart got to level 13, Tom is 16, and we finally get to Goldenrod proper.

In Goldenrod, we get ourselves a free bike, a radio card (which we're not gonna be using for much, the game's muted), and we actually get to name Tom, since the name rater is here as well. We take a look around the department store, but there's nothing of interest really. We also pass by the gym, but there's no way I'm going in there yet when the leader's weakest Pokemon still outlevels my whole team.

We stroll into Route 35, but it's not long until tragedy strikes. A camper spots us, and challenges us to a battle. His leading Sandshrew poses no challenge for Carla, but then he sends out a level 15 Marill. Now at this point I'm just boosting through, not paying much mind to the game, so naturally I don't notice when Marill starts using Rollout, and continues raising in power until ultimately killing poor Carla. That's when I notice what's going on, and proceed to send out Tom (because Larry would get wrecked by a rock type move). Even this proves insufficient, as Marill's Rollout OHKOs Tom. At this point I'm bracing for another death, so I send out Marty because he's the most expendable. However, thankfully Rollout misses, and I switch Bart in to finish the job with Vicegrip.

After that disaster of a fight, we go right to the Pokemon center and retrieve Quentin from the PC, bringing our party member count up to 5. We backtracked to Ilex Forest for a bit to get Quentin to level 13, which happens to be where he gets his first attack worth a damn, Water Gun. We stick around in Route 34 to get everyone to level 14, then head through Route 35, still evading as many trainers as possible, to get to Route 36. This route is very special, because we can get our second Fire type here, and so we do! We catch a level 13 Growlithe, and name her Eve, which means we got ourselves a full team again!

It's time to train ourselves to fight the dreaded Whitney. Fortunately, there's a bunch of trainers to fight on Routes 35, 36, and the National Park. After defeating everyone, and training some more in the wild, we return to Goldenrod and enter the gym. Once there, we deal with the gym trainers with relative ease, but the final challenge of this place still awaits us... next time!
Larry the Quilava, level 18 (gift from New Bark)
Damien the Wooper, level 18 (Route 32)
Quentin the Poliwag, level 18 (Route 31)
Bart the Krabby, level 18 (Cherrygrove)
Eve the Growlithe, level 18 (Route 36)
Marty the Magikarp, level 16 (Route 30)

Graveyard:
Carla the Slowpoke, level 8-13 (Slowpoke Well)
Tom the Goldeen, level 10-16 (Union Cave)

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
It's time to take on Whitney's wretched Miltank, finally!
So, after the Marill incident, I knew I needed a plan for Miltank's Rollout and general nastiness. I thought of one for a bit, and then headed right into the fight. As for how it went... well, it could have been worse.

We start the match, Whitney sends out Clefairy while I go with Bart. This part isn't too difficult, thankfully Metronome doesn't pull any nasty surprises, and I finish it off with a couple Vicegrips.

Then comes the main event, Miltank. I send out Damien, and immediately start Mud Slapping at it. This should prevent it building up Rollouts, but it isn't actually doing much damage. After 3 accuracy drops, I switched to Quentin in order to hypnotize it. I managed to do it on the first try, then went to Bart to Vicegrip it, hopefully until it dies.

However, as soon as Bart went in, Miltank woke up and hit two consecutive Stomps on poor Bart, who wound up dying. I switch into Quentin in an attempt to hypnotize it again, but he misses, and Miltank stomps again, causing Quentin's death.

By this point I don't exactly have a lot of options left. Damien is weakened from the start of the fight, and Marty, being a Magikarp, is an obvious no-go. There's also Eve and Larry, but they're fire types and run the risk of being struck by Rollout. Unless...

I send out Eve (I don't quite wanna risk my starter, if possible) and start spamming Ember while Miltank continues Stomping. After a few turns, Ember actually burns Miltank. Exactly what I was hoping for, because now, its offensive power is crippled. Now it's just a matter of time until the beast falls.

However, it doesn't go down easy. It keeps dealing (reduced) damage, requiring healing every once in a while, and also starts using Milk Drink. It tries Rollout as well a couple times, but it never gets too far. Eventually (And I do mean "eventually", probably after it ran out of PP for Milk Drink), though, the battle's over, and we win. Once Whitney's little tantrum is done, she caves and gives us the Plain Badge and a TM for Attract.

With all that done, I taught Larry Cut (since Bart died) and then went off to get some new teammates. I got to the Ruins of Alph (going the long way round, through Azalea) and fished there to get another Poliwag, he's level 10 and named Kenny. I also backtracked to Dark Cave, stumbled around for a bit because I never taught anyone Flash, then fished up another level 10 Goldeen. I named him Calem!

Afterwards I went to Route 36, used the Squirtbottle on Sudowoodo, fled from it (I'm not too confident I can beat it), then go to Route 37. All we have to catch here is Growlithe, but we have one already. We get to Ecruteak City, go into the Pokemon Center, meet Bill, then immediately follow him to Goldenrod where he gives me a free Eevee. However, evolution stones don't exist in Johto, so we can't get Vaporeon or Flareon. To the box you go, Sid.

I stuck around in a few routes in order to grind Calem and Kenny to Level 17, then went back to Ecruteak. Looking at the Pokemon in the nearby areas, I noticed an available Fire type in the Burned Tower, so I eagerly went in... and got blindsided by ???, who challenged me to another battle. I swear once I'm done with him I'm gonna look up where the next battle is.

Anyway, ??? starts with Haunter, and I send Kenny out. Haunter immediately uses Curse, so I switch over to Damien who has a type advantadge. After its curse, Haunter wasn't too difficult to take down. Just a couple Mudslaps did him in.

Zubat is ???'s next Pokemon, and I pick Eve for this one. She gets confused almost immediately by Supersonic, but she still manages some good damage before I switch Larry in and one-shot it.

Then comes his awful level 22 Croconaw (may I remind you my Pokemon are level 18 at most). I send Calem, but he's not able to do much even with Horn Attack, and is almost done in by Croconaw. I get him out and toss Damien in, but sadly he gets murdered with 2 consecutive Bites. Running out of options, I send Kenny to try and hypnotize it.

It surprisingly works, and I send Calem back in. He's dying, so I heal him, and then use Tail Whip to soften (the still sleeping) Croconaw up a bit. We get one Horn Attack in before Croconaw gets up, and after a power struggle, Calem just about wins while on red health.

His final Pokemon, Magnemite, is a joke, and gets killed by 2 embers from Larry. ??? chastises us, saying we're weak, and once he leaves we run to the basement to get ourselves a new partner. We meet and catch Victor the level 14 Magmar, and then leave the tower quickly.

We go catch Victor up with the rest and quickly find out he's beastly powerful, packing Fire Punch and pretty high stats. Raising him to level 18 goes swimmingly. We go train some more, this time on Route 38, and in the process meet Mr. Bird Keeper Toby! First time I encounter a celebrity here!

At this point, I decided it's time to finally evolve Marty into less of a dead weight (also because the next gym is Ghost and Gyarados learns Bite), so I go all the way back to Route 34 to be able to train him on his own. It takes a while and a lot of visits to the Pokemon Center, but eventually Marty gets to Level 20 and becomes a mighty Gyarados!

I decide to get everyone else up to 20 as well, and go to Mt. Mortar to do so. During the grinding process, I also encounter a level 15 Marill (a 1% encounter and the reason I came here in the first place), catch her, and name her Maria.

After catching everyone up, I went right into the Ecruteak Gym leading with Eve and Marty, as they both have Bite. I got rid of all the gym trainers easily, and in the process both Eve and Marty get to level 21. For Morty himself, I lead with Eve because Marty is more powerful statwise.

Morty's battle went alright. He sends out Gastly and I go with Eve, and she gets rid of it in 2 Bites. His next mon is Haunter, who Curses me immediately (much like ???'s Haunter). This proves to be a bad move, as it puts him into OHKO range with one bite. This does mean I'll have to switch to avoid damage, though.

I send Marty (I realize the sheer coincidence of facing Morty with Marty), and he sends his ace, Gengar. I came prepared for this, with a bunch of Awakenings, and everything goes about as I expected. Gengar uses Hypnosis, Marty falls asleep, I use an Awakening, Gengar misses Dream Eater, repeat until Gengar misses Hypnosis and Marty gets to Bite. Eventually, with just one Awakening left, Gengar falls and we're done with this whole ordeal.

There's one more Haunter left, so I switch Eve in for the killing blow. She takes some nasty damage from 2 Nightshades, leaving her in the red, but pulls through regardless. With that, we gain the Fog Badge, TM30 Shadow Ball, and permission to Surf. However, I don't have Surf yet, and I have to beat the Kimono Girls to get it. So I do. (Each of them had a level 17 Eeveelution, what can I say?)

I teach Surf to Marty, and we prepare to go to Olivine City. We'll do it next time, though!
Eve the Growlithe, level 22 (Route 36)
Marty the Gyarados, level 21 (Route 30)
Victor the Magmar, level 21 (Burned Tower)
Larry the Quilava, level 20 (gift from New Bark)
Calem the Goldeen, level 20 (Dark Cave)
Kenny the Poliwag, level 20 (Ruins of Alph)

Graveyard:
Carla the Slowpoke, level 8-13 (Slowpoke Well - Route 35)
Tom the Goldeen, level 10-16 (Union Cave - Route 35)
Bart the Krabby, level 10-18 (Cherrygrove City - Goldenrod Gym)
Quentin the Poliwag, level 10-18 (Route 31 - Goldenrod Gym)
Damien the Wooper, level 6-18 (Route 32 - Burned Tower)

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Onward to Olivine City we go!
After getting through Routes 38 and 39 withoout much interesting happening, we arrive at Olivine City. Immediately, we run into ???, but thankfully he's not here to battle, just to insult us a bit. We go on a tour around the city, and we're given 2 things: HM04 Strength, which we can use right away if needed, and more importantly, the Good Rod.

This rod is the best we'll be getting, since the Super Rod is only in Kanto, but this is still huge. We've got a great amount of catches ahead of us, so let's get to it!

Fishing in Olivine itself nets us a new Krabby, and going slightly west into Route 40 we grab a Tentacool. Afterwards we backtrack to Route 35, fish there, and get a Golduck (at level 20!), and Route 34 gives us a Staryu. Finally, we go all the way back to New Bark Town and grab ourselves a Chinchou.

After a bit of reorganizing (and a bit of teambuilding help from the UCL Discord), we've replaced half the team. Eve the Growlithe was a nice help, but without evolution stones, she can never reach her true potential. Kenny the Poliwag is a similar case, and although I could choose Politoed, I'd rather have some type diversity. Meanwhile, Calem the Goldeen wasn't doing too well in battle, so he's being replaced as well.

As for the new team members, there's Garrett the Golduck (I can't pass up an offer like that), Chris the Chinchou (for coverage against Water types), and Tania the Tentacool (reccomendation from the Discord, will get better once she evolves), all freshly caught at level 20.

As an aside, I briefly withdrew Sam the Staryu to teach them Flash and Surf. Since they can't evolve, they'll be our HM slave (they can also learn Whirlpool and Waterfall). Speaking of HMs, Garrett has also been taught Strength.

I went and briefly trained everyone to level 21, then head right into the Olivine Lighthouse. The place is filled with trainers, and for the most part it goes without issue... until I gor complacent, and a sailor's Machop killed Chris with a critical hit. That's a shame, I was so excited to actually use him... To replace him, I get Kenny back from the box. Politoed is still an option, after all.

Anyway, we get to the top of the lighthouse and are tasked by Jasmine to go fetch a medicine in Cianwood City. This means we get to pass through Routes 40 and 41, and Route 41 is home to more Chinchou. Small problem, though: you can't fish while surfing, and the only land in this route is the Whirl Islands, inaccessible until after Pryce. Dupes clause would protect me from catching a Tentacool/cruel, but there's also a 10% chance to get a Mantine here, so we gotta rush through.

We successfully make it to Cianwood without a Mantine on tow, get the medicine, and start preparing to face Chuck. We train in the Cianwood waters, to avoid the dreaded Mantine, and get Tania and Garrett to level 25. Tania because Poison resists Fighting, and Garrett because he has Confusion.

The gym's trainers prove to be harder than expected. and Tania isn't really able to do much. Garrett handles it well enough, and gets to level 27, but we're in trouble if we're gonna face Chuck like this. We need to prepare more.

We surf back to mainland Johto and head to Goldenrod. Chuck's ace is a Poliwrath, so we buy a TM for Thunderpunch. However, when we try and use it, it turns out only Victor, my Magmar, can learn it, so it'll be a last resort. Poliwrath is also level 30, so we need to train quite a bit. We go around Routes 38 and 39 and train Victor and Marty to level 27 (same as Garrett) and everyone else to level 25, which also means Kenny evolved into a Poliwhirl!

Once we're ready, we go to Chuck and start the battle, not before Chuck suplexes a huge boulder just because he can. He sends out Primeape, and I choose Marty. 2 Dragon Rages are enough to take it down without any hassle. Afterwards, he goes with Poliwrath, and I send Garrett in.

I use Confusion and take out 1/4 of its health, and it immediately hypnotizes me. I realize I've packed no Awakenings, so I use my one Full Heal to wake Garrett up. I pick Confusion again, but it uses Dynamicpunch, drops me down to less than half health, and confuses me.

I decide to switch to Marty then, becaue one more blow would down Garrett for good. Poliwrath uses Dynamicpunch again, which is not very effective against Marty but still does confuse him. Between Confusion and Poliwrath's assault, Marty takes a hefty beating, but once confusion wears off, a Dragon Rage is enough to take Poliwrath to the red.

He doesn't go down easy though, and decides to confuse AND hypnotize Marty. I take a break to heal Marty, since he's pretty beat up, and as soon as he wakes up he deals the final blow. We obtain the Storm Badge, a TM for Dynamicpunch, and HM02 Fly. Which is useless, because no Pokemon I can catch can use it.

We surf back to Olivine, give Jasmine the medicine, and she goes back to the gym where she belongs. Before challenging her, we go train a bit more. Larry, Victor and Kenny get to level 28, and I think that's enough when we also have STAB type advantage.

Jasmine's gym is simple, by which I mean it's just her, no one else. It was also a clean sweep, so there's that. We go straight up and challenge her, leading with Larry, and she sends her Magnemite. 2 Embers are more than enough to take it out, but in the single turn it gets, it manages to paralyze Larry.

Next up she sends her Steelix, and I go to Kenny. I attempt hypnosis immediately and succeed, then set up Rain Dance. 3 Water Guns are enough to finish it, and it doesn't even get to wake up.

Her final mon is a Magnemite, and I send Victor. I'm convinced a full power Fire Punch could have taken it out, but since it was still raining, it took me 2 punches to deal the killing blow.

After utterly annihilating her, Jasmine gives us the Mineral Badge and a TM for Iron Tail. It's time to head on over to Mahogany Town, and since Tania is still level 25, we put her at the front of the team. Since we've been to Route 42 already, there's only a few trainers left, which suffice to get Tania to level 26.

Mt. Mortar is still as dark as ever, so we go withdraw Sam from the PC to use Flash. There's no trainers here, but we do get a couple items and Tania gets to level 27. When we're done, we go to Mahogany Town, deposit Sam again, and set off to Route 43.

When we've beaten all the trainers in this route, everyone is already level 28, and we go take on the red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage. I attempted to catch it, got it to red health, but then it started using Thrash, got confused, and fainted itself. It's alright though, I still have Marty.

When we get back to the shore, we encounter some dude named Lance. He orders me to go investigate a secret Team Rocket hideout over at Mahogany, and I follow him because I have no other choice. We'll continue this next time, probably get to Pryce, and do some other stuff.
Larry the Quilava, level 28 (gift from New Bark)
Marty the Gyarados, level 28 (Route 30)
Kenny the Poliwhirl, level 28 (Ruins of Alph)
Victor the Magmar, level 28 (Burned Tower)
Garrett the Golduck, level 28 (Route 35)
Tania the Tentacool, level 28 (Route 40)

Graveyard:
Chris the Chinchou, level 20-21 (New Bark Town - Glitter Lighthouse)

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
To the Rocket Hideout and beyond!
The trek through the Rocket Hideout in Mahogany Town is fairly uneventful. That is, until some butthole scientist crawls out of the shadows with his Koffing and uses Selfdestruct. Tania was the one to take the hit, and so she dies. We don't replace her just yet, but after this, I decide to treat every Koffing with safety gloves and crush every one of them with Garrett's Confusion.

After burying her in the Pokemon Center, we get through the rest of the hideout with no further incident. At one point we have to battle 3 consecutive Electrode (which we have no good counter against), but none of them causes any big trouble. When we're done with the place, everyone's level 29 except for Victor and Garrett, who got to 30. We also recieve HM06 Whirlpool from that strange Lance guy.

Right after that, we head straight into the Mahogany gym with our team of 5 Pokemon. Naturally, we lead with Victor and Larry, and by the time we get to Pryce, they're both at level 31. Pryce has a Seel and a Dewgong in his team, but they have no actual Water attacks, so we should be good.

Pryce leads with his Seel, and I send Victor. Thunderpunch comes in really handy for this, as it leaves Seel at red health. After using Smog, it's down for the count. Pryce then sends out Dewgong, while I keep Victor in. The first Thunderpunch is a critical hit, taking it to red health and allowing me to take it down easily with another Thunderpunch. Pryce's final Pokemon, Piloswine, is swiftly dealt with by Larry, using Flame Wheel thrice (and only because Pryce used a Hyper Potion).

After the absolute massacre that just ensued, we obtain the Glacier Badge, a TM for Icy Wind, and a call from Prof. Elm informing us of Team Rocket's takeover of the radio tower. But most importantly, we have permission to use Whirlpool outside of battle, which is great because there's a very special encounter on Whirl Islands. We go withdraw Sam, teach them Whirlpool, and head on over there.

Since we hadn't obtained anything in Route 41 (because we had Tania and didn't encounter any Mantine), we catch a new Tentacool. We wander a bit looking for the part of Whirl Islands which has water in it, we surf in there, and find ourselves a Horsea! At level 17, she's an easy catch once hypnotized by Kenny. We name her Daria, and after returning to the mainland, we put her on the team.

We wander around Routes 35 and 37 in order to catch Daria up with the rest of the team, get her to level 29 (as well as getting Marty and Kenny to 30), and then head off into Goldenrod to put a stop to the Rocket operation once and for all. We actually take out just about every Rocket grunt and scientist without incident, up to the top of the Radio Tower.

It's at this point where we meet the biggest gaping asshole in the run: Rocket Executive Petrel (He doesn't actually have a name in GSC but he's called that in HGSS). He carries 5 Koffing and a Weezing, all but one of which carry Selfdestruct (or Explosion for Weezing). Naturally I lead with Garrett and start using Confusion left and right, but the Koffing get a couple Smokescreens off, impacting Garrett's accuracy significantly.

I switch on over to Marty, who has the biggest defense as well as powerful attacks. However, one attack isn't enough to kill the upcoming Koffing, and it uses Selfdestruct, thus murdering poor Marty. At this point, Petrel sends his Weezing, but I put Garrett back in to destroy it. It goes down in two Confusions, and the final Koffing also goes own easy.

Petrel sends us to the underground tunnel, but before we do that, we go and withdraw the Tentacool we caught on Route 41, Yui. We also head all the way to the Lake of Rage in order to catch another Magikarp. Afterwards, we train Yui on Route 37 up to level 30, evolving her to Tentacruel in the process. When we enter the Goldenrod Underground, we're ambushed again by ???, challenging us to a battle!

??? leads with Golbat, and I send out Kenny, not expecting the battle at all. I hypnotize it immediately, then switch to Garrett. His Confusion takes it down in 3 hits, without it ever waking up. ??? then sends out his Magnemite, and I pick Larry. One Flame Wheel is enough to utterly destroy it.

??? sends Feraligatr, and I send out Garrett. Since I have no type advantage here, I try Strength, but it doesn't do a lot. It uses Bite and I try Confusion, but it also doesn't do too much damage. The damage from Bite is piling up, so I decide to disable it. Feraligatr is then forced to use Water Gun, which is not effective at all, and with 3 more Strengths the fight is finished.

Haunter is ???'s next Pokemon, and I send out Victor. Fire Punch takes out 3/4 of its health, and it predictably uses Curse, killing itself. The final Pokemon is Sneasel, and I swap to Larry again. It puts up a bit of a fight, surviving a Flame Wheel and retaliating with Quick Attack, but with another Flame Wheel the battle's over.

??? realizes he should maybe probably not treat his Pokemon like shit, and leaves me to defeat the Rockets for the last time. We clear out the basement of the Department Store, and in the process Daria evolves to Seadra. We then go to clear out the rest of the Radio Tower, and manage so without any major incident. Team Rocket is finally dismantled, and the Radio Tower's president gives us the Rainbow Wing (which is useless).

With nothing else to do in Goldenrod, we head over to Mahogany Town, and start the trek to Blackthorn...
Garrett the Golduck, level 34 (Route 35)
Larry the Quilava, level 33 (gift from New Bark)
Kenny the Poliwhirl, level 32 (Ruins of Alph)
Victor the Magmar, level 32 (Burned Tower)
Yui the Tentacruel, level 32 (Route 41)
Daria the Seadra, level 32 (Whirl Islands)

Graveyard:
Tania the Tentacool, level 20-28 (Route 40 - Rocket Hideout)
Marty the Gyarados, level 10-30 (Route 30 - Goldenrod Radio Tower)

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
The end of the game dawns upon us... (This one's a bit long, so get comfy.)
We start our voyage to Blackthorn City on Route 44, using the trainers there to advance Kenny, Victor and Yui to level 33. We come upon the Ice Path, in which we solve a bunch of annoying ice physics puzzles, obtain HM07 Waterfall, and get Daria to level 33 as well. Not much else of interest happens, and before we know it we've made it to Blackthorn.

Once there, it's time to prepare. Clair has a level 40 Kingdra, which is absolutely ridiculous given than the surrounding wilds go up to level 25 at most. Before starting up training, we quickly grab Sam (Staryu) and teach them Waterfall, thus transforming them into the ULTIMATE HM SLAVE(tm).

As we venture into Route 45, it quickly dawns on me what a pain returning to Blackthorn will be without Fly. We'll have to do a lap through half the region in order to just get back there. We've already started going down Route 45 though, so there's no other way. On the way back to Blackthorn, we drop by Mr. Pokemon's house, and even though his egg is still rotting away in the PC he decides to give us the Exp. Share. At this point it's mostly useless since everyone can fend for themselves, but it may be useful in the event of an untimely death.

I spent a little while training around Route 44 (for the Fire types) and Ice Path (for the Water types) and got everyone to level 34. At this point I noticed Yui could really use a more powerful Poison attack, and lo and behold, I have a TM for Sludge Bomb stuffed into my bag. So she's taught that, and we continue training with the power of the turbo button. At some point I start training at the Dark Cave, since the wilds there are marginally better.

By the time we're done with the SPEED GRINDING HOUR, everyone is level 39 and Larry and Kenny have evolved to Typhlosion and Politoed respectively. I also teach Garrett Ice Punch for the dragons, and since Daria is missing a decently powerful Water move, I give her Waterfall. It's at this point that I feel confident enough to brave the gym...'s trainers. After dealing with them and going off to train some more, everyone's gotten to level 40 and Daria finally evolves into a Kingdra (I was really scared about Clair's Kingdra, if you couldn't tell). Finally, we go and face Clair.

She starts the battle by sending a Dragonair, and I pick Garrett from the get-go. One Ice Punch takes it out, and Clair sends another one. Since it's a bit higher leveled, an Ice Punch is enough to send the Dragonair hurtling to the red, but it uses Thunderbolt. This takes out around a third of Garrett's health, but with one more Ice Punch, the Dragonair's down.

Clair sends out yet another Dragonair, and while I could have left Garrett in, I switch to Victor to set up for Kingdra. I use Sunny Day, and Dragonair immediately goes for Thunder Wave. I try to use Thunderpunch, but even though it's neutral damage, it doesn't do a lot. I then swap to Garrett again, and he takes a DragonBreath which paralyzes him. In the next turn he takes another DragonBreath, still having a good chunk of health, and powers through the paralysis, dealing a killer Ice Punch that ends the fight.

Now it's finally time for Kingdra. I switch to Yui (thanks to advice from the UCL discord), since it can deal neutral damage and isn't hit super effectively by Kingdra's attacks. I start out with Sludge Bomb, and it deals decent damage, although less than half the HP bar, and Kingdra uses Smokescreen. The next Sludge Bomb still hits, taking Kingdra to low yellow health, and it goes for a Hyper Beam...

And misses. I go for another Sludge Bomb, but Clair uses a Hyper Potion (and Sludge Bomb misses anyway). The next Sludge Bomb attempt works, but Kingdra uses Smokescreen again, so I decide to switch. Kenny goes in while I heal Yui, and Kingdra keeps on using Smokescreen. Yui gets switched in, gets Smokescreened again, but still hits Sludge Bomb. Another Smokescreen follows, but we still get one more Sludge Bomb hit in, finally downing Kingdra for good.

Clair demands that we go to Dragon's Den before she gives us the badge, which makes no sense because all you really need is a Whirlpool user, there's not even any trainers there. Anyway, we do so, and we obtain the Dragon Fang (which is bugged and doesn't work), the Rising Badge, and a TM for DragonBreath. We immediately teach it to Daria, replacing Twister, and head on over to New Bark Town.

When we get there, Prof. Elm hands us the Masterball (pretty useless, since we can't catch legendaries and we don't really need more Pokemon), and we head on over to the Tohjo Falls. Since Daria has Waterfall, we don't even need to withdraw Sam from the PC. We also encounter a Slowpoke, but accidentally faint it with a critical hit.

Routes 27 and 26 are fairly easy, and we also get to catch ourselves a Ponyta and Quagsire there. All the trainers are underleveled compared to us, so we get by relatively quickly, getting everyone to level 41 and teaching Victor Flamethrower as well, and make it to Victory Road... which is frankly pathetic. There's no trainers at all, just underleveled wild Pokemon (none of which we can catch). After finding our way through, we approach the exit and get ambushed by ??? for the last time.

He starts out with Sneasel, and I send out Yui but immediately switch to Larry. A Flame Wheel takes it down easily, and ??? immediately sends out his Feraligatr. I send out Daria, with her Dragon type resistances, and use Agility (pointlessly, since I already outspeed) while Feraligatr tries Scary Face but misses. DragonBreath takes it to under half health, it tries to use Slash but does miserable damage, and one more DragonBreath finishes it off.

??? sends out his Golbat, and I pick Garrett. One use of Confusion drops it to half health, and while it hits with Confuse Ray, Garrett still manages another Confusion to kill it off. ??? picks Magneton, and I choose Victor. With the newly learned Flamethrower, the result is a foregone conclusion. ??? chooses Haunter next, and I go with Kenny. I set up Rain Dance, and Haunter predictably Curses at me. One rain-charged Water Gun destroys it after that. The final Pokemon is Kadabra, and I switch to Garrett and destroy it with Strength.

??? has another epiphany about not treating his Pokemon like fertilizer, and leaves us to exit Victory Road and challenge the Elite 4. We're not nearly ready yet, however. We need to train up some more, and after another SPEED GRINDING HOUR, everyone is level 46 which I deem good enough. We buy a bunch of Full Restores even though we have a buncha Hyper Potions, use a couple TMs to replace mediocre moves, and head in. I even took a screenshot of the team with their moves!

We waltz into the Indigo League, ready to face the first opponent, Psychic type user Will. Although we don't have a hard counter for Psychic types (aside from Thief, which is a tad weak), all his Pokemon have secondary typings, so this shouldn't be too hard.

His first Pokemon is a Xatu, and I lead with Victor. Thunderpunch takes it to the red, but then it gets a Psychic crit and sends Victor to yellow health. Victor is able to finish it off with another Thunderpunch, but I'm not comfortable with keeping him in without healing.

Will sends his Slowbro, I switch to Garrett and start spamming Strength. On the first turn, Strength crits but does less than half, and Slowbro uses Amnesia. Strength then deals enough damage to get Slowbro to yellow health, but it uses Amnesia and raises its defense. Another Strength brings it to KO range, and it uses Psychic, but that barely takes a third of Garrett's health. One more Strength and Slowbro is down for the count. Will's next Pokemon is Exeggutor, but I switch Larry in and utterly incinerate it with one Flame Wheel.

Will sends his other Xatu, and since I haven't had the chance to heal Victor, I go with Garrett again. He gets off a nice Ice Punch that drops Xatu to the red, but it gets off a Confuse Ray, so I decide to switch to Daria while Will uses a Max Potion (I'm sure a Hyper Potion would have sufficed, but whatever). I use Agility in the next turn (again, pointlessly), but Xatu uses Confuse Ray again. I swap back to Garrett, and Xatu blasts him with Psychic, dealing some mean damage. An Ice Punch takes it to the red once again, but so does its Psychic to Garrett. Luckily, I know I outspeed it, so one more Ice Punch seals the deal.

The final Pokemon is Jynx, and I send out Larry again. A Flame Wheel almost destroys it, but since it tries to Doubleslap and misses, it doesn't really matter in the end. One more Flame Wheel and Will is defeated.

Our next opponent is Koga, master of Poison types, who we do have a bunch of counters for, especially given the many Bug types in his team.

I lead with Larry, and he sends out his Ariados. One hit of Flame Wheel annihilates it, and Koga picks... Forretress. I have no idea why, maybe he wanted to blow it up on me? But surely he should have figured I'd outspeed. Anyway, it uses Protect in its first turn, blocking Flame Wheel, but it's quickly beaten by the heat in the next turn.

Next up, Koga sends his Muk, so I switch to Garrett. Confusion doesn't even do half, and it pointlessly uses Acid Armor to increase its defense. However, the next turn Garrett gets a crit Confusion and eliminates the Muk from existence. Next up comes Venomoth. A Confusion shaves off more than half its health, and it tries to use Toxic but fails miserably. One more Confusion, and it's done for.

Koga's final Pokemon is Crobat, who actually outspeeds Garrett (!) and uses Double Team. Confusion still hits it, and it's left just above half health. Crobat goes for Toxic, which hits this time, and another Confusion leaves it in the red. Koga uses a Full Restore, and Garrett hits again with Confusion. At this point the Toxic damage is piling up, so I swap to Victor, and Crobat goes for a Wing Attack which deals around a third of Victor's health. Crobat then attempts Toxic again, but this time it misses, and a Thunderpunch is enough to blast it into unconsciousness and defeat Koga.

Next up is Bruno, the Fighting type specialist. We have a bunch of counters here, so let's get to it.

I start out with Garrett, and Bruno sends out Hitmontop. It Detects my Confusion once, but is hit in the next turn before it uses Dig. I, stupidly, use Confusion again while Hitmontop is underground, and it obviously misses; Dig then hits for meager damage. The next Confusion nearly downs Hitmontop, but it uses Dig again. I take the free turn to heal Garrett with a Super Potion, and after Hitmontop emerges I deal the final blow with Strength. Garrett also levels up to level 47 here.

Bruno's next choice is Hitmonchan, packing the 3 elemental punches, so I switch to Daria. It uses Mach Punch and thus outspeeds, but deals little damage, while Daria's Waterfall wipes out half its HP. The same course of action repeats next turn, and Hitmonchan is down.

For Hitmonlee, Bruno's next Pokemon, I switch to Yui. I set up with Barrier and, entirely coincidentally, Hitmonlee uses Swagger. This means that, although Yui is confused, the confusion damage is normal, and she hits harder and takes hits better (especially because she's using and recieving physical attacks). She powers past confusion and utterly demolishes Hitmonlee in one Sludge Bomb.

Onix is sent out by Bruno, and I try Surf but am stopped by Confusion. Meanwhile, Onix sets up a Sandstorm. I try once again, but Yui once again hits herself, and then Onix uses Earthquake, which despite being Super Effective doesn't take a lot out of Yui's health. However, between the confusion, Earthquake, and the sandstorm, Yui's healthbar isn't looking so good. I use a Full Restore (which I'm still not entirely sure whether or not it heals confusion, but I think it does), and while she gets hit by Earthquake and the sandstorm, it barely takes a fourth of her health. One Surf later, Onix is down.

Bruno's final Pokemon is Machamp, and while it's a bit intimidating, I'm convinced Yui's got this in the bag. A single Sludge Bomb makes it plummet to the red, but then Machamp uses Rock Slide. And crits. Thus bypassing Yui's defense buffs. And hitting even harder than a regular Rock Slide. Yui is immediately crushed, and dies within the rubble.

Enraged, I switch to Kenny looking to take it out quick, while forgetting Bruno has a Max Potion which he promptly uses. Meanwhile I use Surf, which while powerful, fails to breach the half health mark. Immediately I think up a plan, and try Hypnosis. It misses, but so does Machamp's Cross Chop. I go for Hypnosis again, which actually hits and leaves Machamp sleeping like a log. I then take a second to set up Rain Dance, then proceed to hit Machamp with a supercharged Surf, killing it and wiping out Bruno's team.

The final member of the E4 is Karen, the Dark type master. I like Karen, but we'll have to take her down. Much like Will, we don't have a lot in the way of Dark type counters, but most her Pokemon have a secondary type.

That is, except for her first one, Umbreon. I pick Daria and use Swift, expecting it to Sand Attack me, and so it does. I try Waterfall but it naturally misses, and Umbreon's Faint Attack does a bit less than Swift. Swift doesn't really do much, but if our accuracy's dropped it's the best we can do. The next Swift is a critical hit, and we continue at it for a bit until Umbreon hits red health, uses Confuse Ray, and hits Daria. Daria hits herself twice, and combined with Umbreon's damage output, she gets to red health. I use a Full Restore, and one more Swift finally takes the bugger down.

Karen's next mon is Vileplume, and thankfully we can exploit this one's weaknesses. A Flamethrower from Victor is more than enough to wreck it. Next up comes Gengar, I send Larry and one Earthquake brutally destroys it, earning Larry a levelup to 47. Karen sends Murkrow, and Victor comes back in and Thunderpunches it out of the sky.

Her final Pokemon, Houndoom, actually gives us a bit of a fight. I go with Kenny, Houndoom outspeeds and uses Crunch, doing some decent damage, but the damage from Surf is more than decent and puts it in the red. Karen uses her prequisite Max Potion, but we drop it right back down with another Surf. Houndoom uses Crunch again, getting Kenny to the Yellow, but one more Surf brings it down and we beat Karen without much hassle.

There is still one more challenge left. The champion himself, Dragon Master Lance! What a twist, he was the champion all along! This'll be tough, but we gotta do it to finish the challenge. Here we go!

Lance leads with Gyarados, I start with Victor and HOPE AND PRAY he outspeeds with Thunderpunch. And he does, and Gyarados explodes! Victor also levels up to 47! Next up comes Aerodactyl, so I switch to Kenny and set up Rain Dance. This'll be important later. Aerodactyl then uses Hyperbeam and hits, but Kenny tanks it like a boss, taking just a third of his health! Afterwards, a rain-boosted Surf takes it down.

Lance then sends out one of his Dragonite, and I swap back to Victor. Immediately I set up Sunny Day to cancel out the rain, and Dragonite uses Thunder Wave, paralyzing Victor. Dragonite starts going first and uses Twister, doing less than a fourth of Victor's health, and a supercharged Flamethrower takes it to yellow, burning it at the same time. I wind up fully paralyzed next turn, and Dragonite tries Thunder but misses. Just as I planned.

You see, I wanted to weed out the Thunder Dragonite ASAP, so I set up rain to lure it out, since Thunder can't miss in the rain. Now that it's out, I can take it down somewhat safely with Victor. The next turn, Dragonite uses Twister again, and Victor flinches. The sunlight also fades, but by now Dragonite is down to red HP due to burn damage. The next turn, it hits me with Thunder, taking me down to red, but Victor manages to let out a final Thunderpunch, knocking it out.

Lance sends his next Dragonite, and I whip out my secret weapon: Garrett. He outspeeds and hits Dragonite with a devastating Ice Punch, leaving it with just a sliver of health. In that same turn, it tries Thunder Wave, but misses. One more Ice Punch turns it into mush.

Then, unexpectedly, Lance picks his ace, one final Dragonite. This one could be a lot of trouble even for Garrett, because it's 3 levels higher than the last one and we can't down it in one hit. So we hit it with an Ice Punch, which still takes it to the red, and brace for the worst...

And it uses Safeguard.

Knowing I have Ice Punch.

In the next turn, Lance uses a Full Restore, but it seems that Garrett is sick of this whole battle and gets a crit Ice Punch, completely shattering whatever was left of the Dragonite. Finally, Lance sends out his Charizard, and I pick Daria to end all of this. Waterfall does a ton, but it's not quite enough to kill. Charizard tries Flamethrower, which fails miserably because of a thing we call "x4 resistance", and one more Waterfall puts it out of its misery.

Finally, we've done it. We've become champion of the Johto Region. Let's check the hall of fame, huh?

Victor. Oh boy. One of the only viable Fire types in the region, you've been a beast throughout the whole run. Despite having no evolutions (yes I know Magby exists but Magmar's stats are still those of a no evo mon), you've kept up with everyone else in the team. Your mighty Fire/Thunderpunch combo provided a ton of coverage, particularly against the E4's Flying types, and taking out Lance's Gyarados and Thunder Dragonite was an amazing achievement. You've definitely earned your spot here.

God, Larry. Remember when you took out Falkner by yourself? You've been my most faithful companion since the beginning of the journey. We've both seen so much death among our ranks, but we just kept on going. It took you a long time to evolve to Typhlosion, but once you did you were badass. I'll admit there was a lot of overlap between you and Victor, but having more than one fire type was great for whenever one of you got in a pickle. Also that Earthquake OHKO with Karen's Gengar, no one else could've done that. Go take a rest now; you definitely deserve it.

Kenny... Honestly, I wish you could have been used more. There was even more overlap in your case, and since you didn't really learn any coverage moves, sometimes you were left by the wayside. Still, your Hypnosis was very useful in many situations, including putting ???'s Croconaw to sleep when he attacked us by surprise, and avenging Yui against Machamp. Using Rain Dance to lure out the Thunder Dragonite was also highly useful. You were very specialized, but sometimes that was just what we needed. To think I wanted to replace you with a Chinchou at one point...

Ah, Daria. One of the newest members of the team, you really didn't have a lot of time to shine. I had thought of putting you up against Clair, but upon further consideration I decided against it. Your real time to shine was in the E4. Your crazy resistances made you a wild card, perfect to take out Bruno's crazy Hitmonchan and Karen's Umbreon. You weren't here for long, but I still very much appreciate your contributions.

Garrett, oh my god. Honestly, you were probably the MVP of this run. Your crazy amount of coverage with Confusion and Ice Punch, combined with the fact that you were a Golduck from the start, made you an absolute powerhouse. You dealt with every single Koffing Team Rocket tossed our way, disabled Feraligatr's bite and trounced it in battle, and completely destroyed Lance's 2 other Dragonite. You were a great and dependable Pokemon, and while I knew you'd be great ever since I fished you up from Route 35, I never expected this much.

And finally, Yui. You were caught incidentally while I was going for Daria, and replaced Marty when he got Selfdestructed by Petrel. I had hoped to use a Tentacruel before you, but Tania also died by Selfdestruct. Weird how things line up... Anyway, much like Daria, you were a recent catch, but you helped a lot against Clair's Kingdra with neutral STAB, and did excellent against Bruno, until... that happened. You will be missed dearly, and you'll be remembered like a champion, like you deserve.
Alright, that's one region down! How many are there left?

...Six?

Oh boy.
Larry the Typhlosion, level 47 (gift from New Bark)
Victor the Magmar, level 47 (Burned Tower)
Garrett the Golduck, level 47 (Route 35)
Kenny the Politoed, level 46 (Ruins of Alph)
Daria the Kingdra, level 46 (Whirl Islands)

Graveyard:
Tania the Tentacool, level 20-28 (Route 40 - Rocket Hideout)
Marty the Gyarados, level 10-30 (Route 30 - Goldenrod Radio Tower)
Yui the Tentacruel, level 20-46 (Route 41 - Indigo League)

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Okay, so now it's time for the postga-

...what do you mean we're not doing the postgame? Aren't we supposed to head into Kanto now?

...Oh, Leafgreen. So, I don't even get to keep my Pokemon team?

Aw.
Okay, so we start the game and name ourselves Stella (I don't even get to keep the name!), naming our rival Grant (No real reason, other than it sounding a bit like Grass) in the process.

We withdraw the prequisite potion from the PC in case we need it for the rival battle, and immediately go get ourselves slaughtered in the wilds. Fortunately Prof. Oak saves us and brings us to his lab, where we can choose our starter.

Now, here's something you should know about Kanto: Its type distribution is wack. We're barely getting any catches until after the 3rd gym, and that is after recieving the Pokeflute from Mr. Fuji (to get the fishing rods that are worth a damn). Since the first Pokemon we can legally obtain after our starter is a Magikarp (from the con artist at the Route 4 Pokemon Center), we'll be selecting Charmander in the name of type diversity. (It's also the only legal catch who can learn Fly, so there's that.)

We obtain our Charmander and name him Ignatius (a name I'm already kinda regretting because it's hard to type). This makes for 2 FRLG runs where I've chosen Charmander as a starter, but it's for the best. Grant challenges us to a battle, and we win through pure, simple Scratch spam, getting Ignatius to level 6. We don't even have to use our potion, so that's neat.

We go fetch Oak's parcel, because otherwise the game won't continue, and we obtain the Pokedex, some balls (useless for the time being), and a Town Map, which I don't know why it's called that because it's a map of the whole region. Getting back to Viridian, we grind a bit, and Ignatius gets to level 8, gaining Ember as well. We skip out on the Route 22 rival battle, I'm not up for fighting a Water Gun-having Squirtle right now.

An old man gives us the Teachy TV (has anyone in the history of the world ever used this?), and we venture right into Viridian Forest. None of the resident Bug Catchers gave us any trouble whatsoever, as expected for a Charmander with Ember. Speaking of, Ignatius leveled up to 13 and got Metal Claw! That'll come in handy very soon.

Brock's gym has only one trainer aside from the leader, and we deal with him without much trouble, also pushing Ignatius into level 14. I deem that sufficient training, and go face Brock.

He leads with his trusty Geodude which doesn't actually have any Rock moves, so it should be easy enough. Two Metal Claws are enough to bring it down, also getting Ignatius to level 15.

Then comes Onix. I start out with Metal Claw, but it decides to immediately Rock Tomb me. This does a startling amount of damage, more than a Potion can recover, so I start healing. Onix keeps using Rock Tomb, and I keep on healing. Just as I run out of Potions, Onix decides to change strategy and use Tackle. I then attack again with Metal Claw, which makes a sizable dent and even boosts Ignatius' attack. The next turn, Onix, for whatever reason, uses Bind, and one more Metal Claw puts it in the ground and gives us the win.

We're given the Boulder Badge, as well as a TM for Rock Tomb, recieve the Running Shoes (Yes, running has finally been invented!) then set off to Route 3 and a long trek to Cerulean. We fight a couple of the trainers in Route 3, and Ignatius levels up to 18, becoming a Charmeleon in the process. Once we get to Route 4, we're given the choice to buy a Magikarp, and even though it's an obvious scam, we do so. We welcome Sandra to the team by tossing her at the rest of the Route 3 trainers and letting Ignatius handle the rest.

Once we're done with that, Sandra is level 8, and we march into Mt. Moon. The trip was fairly unremarkable, because Ignatius is overleveled as hell, and he got even better here, to level 22. Through extensive switch-training, Sandra also got to level 14. When we get to choose the fossils, we can get either, but after a quick moveset check we choose the Dome Fossil. Omanyte is fine and all, but considering our eventual team comp, Kabuto learns some nice Grass coverage moves.

We leave Mt. Moon, ignoring both move tutors in the way, and make it to Cerulean City. We're stuck here now, because this is Kanto and nobody thinks about bettering the urban infrastructure. After a quick visit to the Center, I head into Route 24... completely forgetting there's a rival battle in the way first. Oops.

We lead with Sandra, because she still needs XP, and Grant sends his Pidgeotto. I obviously switch to Ignatius and swiftly take it down with two Embers.
Then, Grant sends out his Squirtle. I still switch to Sandra (probably a dumb move on my part) and back to Ignatius, while Squirtle uses Withdraw. I hit with Metal Claw, hoping for an attack boost, but it's not very effective.

Squirtle keeps Withdrawing, and I try a Scratch, which with heightened defenses doesn't do a lot. Then Squirtle starts using Water Gun. Because Ignatius is overleveled as hell, it only takes a third of his health. I decide to try Ember, and it actually does more damage than my earlier attacks. Another Water Gun takes Ignatius to KO range, so I whip out a Super Potion (thankfully I restocked at Cerulean) and heal him entirely. This continues on for a couple more turns, until thankfully we can put an end to the whole ordeal.

Grant's next Pokemon is his Abra, and victory is a given here, so we switch to Sandra then back for the free XP. Finally, he brings out Rattata, and hits Ignatius with a Tail Whip when I switch back from Sandra. He hits a Quick Attack, but it does 10 HP or so (out of my 60), and two Embers wipe it out.

After that mini heart attack against the Squirtle, we head onto the Nugget Bridge, and one battle in, Sandra is already level 15 and gets Tackle. I'm still not comfortable letting her train on her own, so we'll keep switch grinding. We make it to the end of the bridge after the 6 battle gauntlet, Ignatius is level 24 and Sandra is level 17.

At this point I really want Sandra to become useful at once, so I go over to Route 4 and start slowly grinding her up with Tackle. She can just barely down one lower leveled Pokemon before having to heal up at the Pokemon Center, but she steadily starts gaining XP. It takes a good while, but eventually she gets to that wonderful level 20, becomes a mighty Gyarados, and learns Bite.

After this, soloing Route 25 with her is a breeze, and she gets to level 23. I'm fairly confident she could beat Misty pretty handily, so we go to the gym, defeat the trainers, and prepare to face her.

Misty's first Pokemon is Staryu, and quite frankly we curbstomp it without issue. It only takes 2 Tackles, and it goes for a Water Pulse but deals laughable damage.

Then she sends out her Starmie, and we have just the tool we need to take it out. A Bite takes off half its health, it goes for Swift but it barely deals a bit more damage than Water Pulse. Another Bite takes it down, and gets Sandra to level 24.

After absolutely dunking on Misty, we recieve the Cascade Badge, as well as a TM for Water Pulse. We use that TM on Sandra right away (She's not getting Water-type STAB any time soon), and then leave to Route 5, leading the way to Vermilion City.
Ignatius the Charmeleon, level 24 (Gift from Pallet Town)
Sandra the Gyarados, level 24 (Bought on Route 4)

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
When we last left off, we had 2 Pokemon. Today, we might just be able to raise that number!
We advance through Route 5, encountering nothing of interest, and take the Underground Path to Route 6. We're still overleveled, so we avoid as many trainers as we can, but a couple fights get Ignatius to level 25.

Once we make it to Vermilion, we waste no time and go get the Vs. Seeker (which might come in handy), the Old Rod (absolutely worthless unless we lose Sandra), and the Bike Voucher. We quickly sprint back to Cerulean, obtain the bike, then take a leisurely ride back to Vermilion.

We'll need Cut to get to Surge's gym (Seriously who even designed this?), so we board the SS Anne to get it. We also take the chance to fight every trainer here. We are overleveled, but if we leave them be we can't come back later. We don't particuarly struggle at any point, aside from Ignatius having a tough time against the many Water types here, but by the end of the whole ordeal both him and Sandra are level 27. We then decide to head onto the captain's quarters, but are stopped by Grant challenging us to a battle.

This time, it goes a lot smoother than the last one. He leads with Pidgeotto while I send Ignatius. Ember hits it for half its health, and it uses Sand Attack. Ignatius, however, is unaffected, as he still hits the next Ember and KOs Pidgeotto. Grant then sends out Wartortle, but this time I'm prepared. I switch to Sandra, and use Dragon Rage. It takes off more than half its health, and it pointlessly decides to use Withdraw. One more Dragon Rage, and Wartortle is down on the ground.

Grant then sends out Raticate, and I switch to Ignatius, who swiftly takes it down in two Embers while it Tail Whips. Kadabra is his final Pokemon, and Ignatius hits it with a Metal Claw for massive damage. It lives, though, and decides to Disable Metal Claw. No problem, though, as an Ember finishes it off. That's right, we just swept Grant without taking a single point of damage.

Once he leaves, still musing about how he's better than me, we go to the captain's room, give him some magical nausea-healing backrubs, and recieve Cut for our efforts. We stick it onto Ignatius, because Sandra can't learn it, and cut the blasted tree that impedes access to Surge's gym. Since there's no way in hell I'm sending out Sandra in here, Ignatius deals with all the trainers here, getting up to level 29.

Now it's time to face Lt. Surge. He leads with a Voltorb, and I let Ignatius do his thing. Surge thankfully wastes his Super Potion on this Pokemon, so it takes a while, but eventually enough Embers bring it down. Surge then sends out Pikachu, but Ember is a OHKO against it.

Then comes his ace, Raichu. Ignatius got a bit scuffed up while fighting Voltorb, so I heal, and Raichu immediately Thunder Waves and paralyzes him. It's at this point that I realize I haven't packed any Parlyz Heals, so I'm stuck with paralysis. Not to worry though, Ignatius still outlevels Raichu by a lofty 5 levels. The next turn, Ignatius doesn't move, and Raichu starts using Double Team. Now we might be in trouble.

Next turn, Raichu uses Double Team again, Ignatius breaks through the paralysis, fires off an Ember and actually hits, dealing about a third of its health. Shock Wave is Raichu's next move, and it actually takes off a decent chunk of Ignatius' health. He tries an Ember, but it misses. Raichu hits again with Shock Wave, but Ignatius manages to strike back with Ember and leave it in the yellow.

I heal with a Super Potion, and Raichu attacks with Shock Wave. Next turn, it does the same, and Ember hits once again... leaving it at just a smidgen of health. Dammit. Now I heal once again, and Raichu, surprisingly, uses Shock Wave again. Same thing next turn, but Ignatius hits it with Ember again and finally kills it.

After that battle, we've certainly earned the Thunder Badge! We also get a TM for Shock Wave, one I doubt we'll be using anytime soon. Now that we have Cut, the world has opened up significantly, so we head back to Cerulean City to move into Route 9. Defeating all the trainers with Sandra puts her on par with Ignatius again, at level 29.

Rock Tunnel is a bit of a chore, mostly because I refuse to teach any of my party members Flash. With the help of a map, we manage to get through the maze, encountering a few unavoidable trainers on the way. The experience from those is enough to raise both my team members to level 31. At this point I'm excited for what's about to come, so I ignore all of Route 10, stop at Lavender Town for a quick heal, then sprint right into Route 8.

After getting past a mandatory trainer, we practically dive into the tall grass. That's right, we got a new encounter here! After a few non-catchable encounters, we find an adorable Vulpix! We start weakening it with Ignatius, but... it roars us away.

Still determined to obtain something new, I carefully weave between all the trainers in the route to make it to the second Underground Path. We emerge on Route 7, where Vulpix is also available, and thankfully we get to catch it this time! She's level 18, her name's Brianna, and her moveset currently sucks just a bit. Her only attacking move is Quick Attack, and she also has Will-O-Wisp. Not great, but it's something.

We then backtrack to Route 8, beat all the trainers with her (and ocassional assistance from Ignatius and Sandra), and head onto Route 12 to do the same. However, most trainers there carry water types, so Sandra is required more often. Still, I try to at least switch train Bri, and by the time we reach the Snorlax, she's level 24 (and learned Confuse Ray, making her great at stalling) and both her partners are level 32.

Afterwards, we head back to Route 10, beat all trainers there, and both Brianna and Sandra level up once. Then we go all the way to Celadon City, as there's a couple things we have to take care of there. Firstly, we get a gift Eevee, at level 25, called Gus! And we can actually use him right now, for the record. After extensive deliberation, I decide to buy two Fire Stones to evolve Gus to Flareon immediately, and Brianna to Ninetales later. I realize this creates an imbalance in the current team, but once we obtain the other Fishing Rods, we'll be swimming in Water types.

We also drop by the old lady's house, steal her tea, and give it to the Saffron City guards. We won't go there just yet, but I just wanted to get that done with. We then proceed onto Route 16, where a Snorlax blocks the main path, but there's a side path where we recieve HM02 Fly. Not usable yet, but as soon as Ignatius evolves we'll actually have a Fly learner!

Now, looking over Gus' moveset, I realize it's kinda crummy. He's even worse off than Brianna when we obtained her, only having Quick Attack for offense with no useful status moves. He's a long way from getting a Fire type move, too. I decide to go through my TM case looking for something to give him, and I land on Secret Power. With Flareon's great physical attack, this should work wonders.

We decide to go and stop the Rocket operation at the Game Corner. We deal with the grunts fairly easily, getting Bri and Gus to level 27 and Ignatius to level 33, but then comes Giovanni.

His first Pokemon is Onix. I was leading with Gus, but I switch to Brianna. Rock Slide takes out about half her health, but when I get off a Confuse Ray followed by a Will-O-Wisp, it becomes a lot more manageable (given the attack drop). Eventually Onix goes down due to burn and confusion chip damage. Giovanni then sends out his Rhydon, and I switch to Sandra who takes it down in one Water Pulse.

His final Pokemon, Kangaskhan, hits pretty hard, so I switch to Ignatius. I set up with two Smokescreens, while it Leers at me and hits a Bite. Ember takes off a small chunk of its health, and a second one is a critical hit, getting it to around half health. All the while, Kangaskhan keeps missing all its attacks. The third Ember burns it, and a final fourth one downs it for good.

Giovanni flees, leaving behind the Silph Scope, and we grab it. Our next stop is Erika, but I wanna train the newbies a bit before that. Taking a shortcut through Saffron, we go back to Route 11 (which I haven't visited yet). After dealing with all the trainers, Gus gets to level 30 and learns Bite (Nothing too good considering it's a special move, but it'll do for now). More importantly though, Brianna gets to level 29 and learns Flamethrower! This is the last worthwhile move she learns by levelup, so I grab the remaining fire Stone and evolve her into a majestic Ninetales!

We then make our way back to Celadon, and prepare to face Erika's gym... next time!
Ignatius the Charmeleon, level 33 (Gift from Pallet Town)
Sandra the Gyarados, level 33 (Bought on Route 4)
Gus the Flareon, level 30 (Gift from Celadon City)
Brianna the Ninetales, level 29 (Route 7)

Last edited:

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Erika's gym was, well, a joke. I had 3 strong fire types, so I cleared out the gym trainers with Brianna and Gus, getting both of them to level 31, then went to Erika. Rather obviously, the battle was easy as hell.

I start off with Gus and she sends out her Victreebel. Despite Gus not having any fire moves, we still have a rather easy time. Secret Power hits and paralyzes the Victreebel, but it also hits me with a Stun Powder. I strike another Secret Power, leaving it clinging to dear life, while it uses Acid and doesn't do a whole lot to me. Gus is paralyzed next turn, but Erika heals with a Hyper Potion anyway. I decide to use a Parlyz Heal because I don't wanna deal with paralysis, and two more Secret Powers bring the Victreebel down.

Erika sends out her Tangela, and as soon as Brianna left her ball, the battle was over. One Flamethrower completely obliterates the tangle of vines, and Erika then tosses out her final Pokemon, Vileplume. I hit another Flamethrower, but somehow it survives and Stun Spores Bri. I use a Quick Attack regardless, and Vileplume goes down.

We're given the Rainbow Badge after that easy victory, and we set off... to the Game Corner. See, our next stop is the Pokemon Tower, but the only SE move we got against ghosts is Bite. In addition, Gus' moveset could use some work, and one of the Game Corner prizes is a TM for Shadow Ball... You see my plan, huh?

After abusing savestates to scam the Game Corner out of like 3000 coins, we spend a bit of our money to get to the required 4500 for Shadow Ball, and teach it to Gus. Given that Ghost type moves are always physical in this gen, Gus' huge Attack will be of good use here. We then head to Lavender Town, enter the Pokemon Tower, but before going knee-deep in the dead, we've got a battle with Grant!

He leads with Pidgeotto as always, and I send out Brianna. I check how much damage Quick Attack does, which isn't a lot, and it starts spamming Sand Attack. I miss my next two Flamethrowers, and get hit with a Wing Attack, but my next Flamethrower hits and roasts it into fried chicken. Grant then sends out Wartortle, and I swap to Sandra. Dragon Rage hits it for a ton of health, and it pointlessly uses Withdraw. One more Dragon Rage downs it, and Sandra levels up to 34.

Grant chooses Growlithe next (odd choice against a Gyarados), but I switch back to Brianna. I set up a Confuse Ray, then start Quick Attacking. It shrugs off the confusion fairly quickly, but it decides to hit me with Ember, which Bri's Flash Fire negates entirely. A few Quick Attacks later, Growlithe is down and Grant sends Exeggcute. Unsurprisingly, it goes down to one Flamethrower, and Grant sends his final Kadabra. I swap to Gus and quickly demolish it with a Shadow Ball.

Grant leaves me to wade through the many waves of ghosts and Channelers, but Gus deals with them handily using Shadow Ball. We also take out the Rocket grunts at the top without any hassle. Both Gus and Ignatius are level 34, and Brianna gets to level 33 as well. We save Mr. Fuji, and he gifts us with a Pokeflute. This means we can awaken the sleeping Snorlax on Route 12, which we stall to death with Brianna's Will-o-Wisp and Confuse Ray. Advancing further into Route 12, we get to the Fishing Guru and obtain the Super Rod. That's right, it's time for a CATCHING SPREE!

...It's actually not that impressive, for whatever reason. With the Super Rod, we can only manage 4 distinct catches: A level 24 Krabby on Route 12 itself (Sylvia), a level 18 Staryu on Vermilion City (Frankie), a level 27 Poliwhirl at Route 6 (Penny) and a level 17 Slowpoke at Route 25 (Pedro). Out of this haul, we decide to take Penny the Poliwhirl and Pedro the Slowpoke along, for the coverage they can get and their distinct typings. I'll be evolving Penny to Poliwrath this time, both because I actually can and because I don't want the same 'mon on the Hall of Fame twice.

I go train Pedro up with the Vs. Seeker and on various wild encounters until he gets to level 28, then decide to continue onward past Route 12, where I last left off. Before going onward, however, we teach Penny Brick Break via TM. We get through Routes 13, 14 and 15 while training both Pedro and Penny, and by the end of it all both of them are level 34. Through assisting the two newbies on particularly tough matches, everyone else in the team also got to level 35.

We arrive at Fuschia City, obtain the Good Rod, then go on an even smaller CATCHING SPREE, managing to nab a level 25 Goldeen at Fuschia City (Hugo) and a level 6 Horsea on Route 19 (Timmy). Both of them are boxed, as we still have a perfectly fine team. We then take on the Cycling Road routes, where Pedro particularly excels due to the abundance of Poison type trainers. By the end of it, everyone is at level 36, aside from Pedro who is at 37. This particular point is very exciting!

That is, because at level 36, Ignatius evolves into a mighty Charizard and learns Wing Attack! Pedro also evolves to Slowbro at level 37! And finally, Penny obtains Body Slam at level 35, her final worthwhile move, so we evolve her to Poliwrath with a Water Stone! She also gets the chance to learn Submission, but it's worse than Brick Break in multiple ways so she doesn't.

I decide we're strong enough for Koga's lackeys, so we go, beat them, and then get Brianna, Ignatius, and Sandra to level 37. Koga's mons are at around level 40, though, so we pass on that for now. We've got one more thing to do here, however. We gotta venture into the Safari Zone to get Surf. It takes two goes, but we grab HM03 Surf as well as the Warden's gold teeth. We bring them to him, and also obtain HM04 Strength. We teach Surf to Penny and Pedro, replacing Water Gun on both of them, as that's the best they would have otherwise.

We do have one more place to go to where we can fight trainers, that being Saffron City. We take out the Fighting Dojo at the back of the city without breaking a sweat, declining to take either of the Pokemon at the end. Then, it's time to take off to the Rocket-infested Silph Co. Predictably enough, none of the Rocket grunts and scientists there amount to any trouble, and everybody gets to level 39 from the workout. As we ascend the tower however, we come face to face with Grant once again, and he challenges us to a fight!

He leads with his now Pidgeot as always, and I send out Gus. It hits me with a Wing Attack, doing pretty hefty damage, and I hit back with Secret Power dealing just a bit more than what it did to me. Next turn goes about the same, except my Secret Power is a crit and knocks the Pidgeot out.

Grant then sends Blastoise, while I match it up with Sandra once again. I try using Twister, but it barely does anything, while it hits with Bite doing just a bit more than I did to it. I then go with the old reliable Dragon Rage, but it Protects. I Dragon Rage again next turn, still doing some hefty damage regardless of its evolution, while it uses Bite. 2 more turns of this, and Blastoise is down. Grant then brings out Growlithe, and I answer with a Surf to to the face, courtesy of Penny.

It goes down, and out comes Alakazam. I would use Gus, but he's pretty beat up from the fight with Pidgeot, so I switch to Brianna. I hit Confuse Ray straight away, and Alakazam hits itself. I then try for a Will-o-Wisp, but miss, while Alakazam is still immobilized. The next Will-o-Wisp hits, but Alakazam moves and casts Future Sight. I get off a Flamethrower, but Alakazam survives, so I bring it down next turn with a simple Quick Attack. He finishes with Exeggcute, and I switch to Ignatius, who gets hit with Alakazam's Future Sight. Regardless, I hit a Flamethrower, and the battle is over.

Grant somehow finds it in himself to still brag about how he's better than me, and leaves. I go talk with a dude that was sitting nearby, who offers me a free Lapras. I accept, as it's a solid Pokemon who fits my ruleset, name him Marvin, but it still gets sent to the PC since my team is full. We leave the tower for a second to heal up, then go face Rocket Boss Giovanni for the second time.

I'm well aware he carries mostly Ground types, so I lead with Sandra. He surprises me with a Nidorino, however. I try using Water Pulse, and it deals less damage than I'd like, meanwhile it attacks with Poison Sting and actually gets the poison chance first try. I attempt a Dragon Rage and it does great damage, so another one of those brings it down.

Giovanni then sends his Rhyhorn. I could keep Sandra in, but since she's poisoned I swap to Penny. A Surf takes it out in one hit, unsurprisingly, and he sends out Kangaskhan. Penny remains in the battle, as she's a Fighting type, and she gets off a devastating Brick Break that takes more than half its health. It responds with a pointless Tail Whip, and one more Brick Break downs it for good.

His last 'mon is Nidoqueen, and I swap to Pedro to deal with it. It outspeeds and Body Slams, paralyzing Pedro, but he still gets off a Surf for massive damage. It Tail Whips afterwards, and luckily the paralysis doesn't impede Pedro when casting another Surf, thus killing Nidoqueen and finishing the battle.

Giovanni and his Rocket army flee from the Silph Co. building, and I get the very generous gift of a Masterball... which I probably will never use. Since everyone is quite a bit stronger than before, I decide we should be good for facing Koga, but not before taking care of one more thing. We go into the Move Deleter's house on Fuschia City, delete Cut from Ignatius' system, and give him Fly instead. He'll learn Slash later, and I'll replace Wing Attack with it then. With everything done, we get ready to finally face Koga...
Penny the Poliwrath, level 40 (Route 6)
Brianna the Ninetales, level 40 (Route 7)
Pedro the Slowbro, level 40 (Route 25)
Ignatius the Charizard, level 39 (Gift from Pallet Town)
Sandra the Gyarados, level 39 (Bought on Route 4)
Gus the Flareon, level 39 (Gift from Celadon City)

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Last part didn't have a quip at the beginning, so here's a self-referential one!
Koga was, uh... well, certainly the worst so far. Maybe he was pissed because he got demoted from the E4?

He starts out with Koffing, and I send out Penny, since she has Damp and can shutdown any Selfdestruct attempts. A single Surf does enough damage to knock it out, though, so that fact is irrelevant. That's not the bad part.

That comes when Koga sends out his Muk. I respond with Pedro, and it immediately starts Minimizing itself. Naturally, I miss my first Confusion, and Muk continues Minimizing, but the second Confusion actually hits and takes a bit less than half of Muk's health. It actually winds up confused as a result, and in the next turn it hits itself while I miss another Confusion. The confusion doesn't last, though, as Muk snaps out of it and Minimizes again. Meanwhile my Confusion hits, but Muk survives with a few hitpoints left. Koga then heals with a Hyper Potion, and I miss another Confusion.

Muk then starts attacking, hitting Pedro with Sludge and poisoning him. I nail that turn's Confusion, then heal the poison, but it hits and poisons me again. I then decide to switch because I can see this dragging on, and poison ain't good news in that case. I switch to Ignatius, and he takes a Sludge on the way in. I try to use Fly, but it winds up missing and Muk gets another free Sludge on me. At this point, considering Ignatius' healthbar, he can take one more Sludge before dying, so I risk a Flamethrower. It actually hits, but Muk still clings to life and scores another Sludge. And not just any Sludge, a critical hit.

I helplessly watch as Ignatius' health bar reaches a big fat 0, and he goes down. I switch to Sandra, completely pissed at this blasted Muk, and Koga heals again while I miss a Bite. It then decides to start Minimizing again a couple times, and I start shooting out Dragon Rages left and right, hitting it a few times. In the meantime it also hits a couple Sludges, but thankfully misses some as well. I obviously have to heal ocassionally though. Eventually I've got the damn thing on the ropes, and it decides to Toxic me. I heal that immediately, but then it hits another Sludge and poisons me. Thankfully, a final Dragon Rage takes it down for good.

Next up, Koga sends another Koffing, and I switch back to Penny. I use Surf, but the Koffing just barely hangs on and Toxics Penny. Thankfully I just use another Surf and it goes down. I can switch Penny out now, there's no more Selfedstruct hazards.

Koga's last Pokemon is Weezing, and since I'm sick of him stalling me I decide to stall back with Brianna. I use Confuse Ray on it, but it still hits a Sludge. Koga uses a Full Heal which I wasn't aware he had, and I miss with Will-o-Wisp. I then hit with another Confuse Ray and follow up with Will-o-Wisp, and Weezing starts hitting itself. I strike with a Flamethrower, and while Weezing survives, the confusion and burn do it in.

We then obtain the Soul Badge, but it's not worth it. My starter is dead, and thanks to a crit of all things. This sucks, man. I begrudgingly go deposit Ignatius in the newly created death box, and then grab Marvin the Lapras to take his spot. His moveset is pretty bad, including Perish Song, so we need to train him up. Also he's level 25, so uh, yeah. We run around the region training Marvin up, and at level 31 he learns Ice Beam, a definite upgrade. We also take the chance to catch a Tentacool on Route 11 named Will, just to have one for the sake of dupes.

Eventually, after rematching a bunch of trainers, Marvin gets caught up with the rest at level 39. We decide to then go after Sabrina's gym on Saffron, and by beating the trainers there everyone gets to level 40. I'm a bit concerned after Koga, since Sabrina is about as powerful as him, but I press on regardless and go battle her. As it turns out, I probably shouldn't have worried at all.

She sends out her Kadabra and I send out Sandra. I use Bite, which takes out more than half its health, and it flinches, so it's an easy win. She then chooses her Mr. Mime, while I keep Sandra in. I Bite it, and it flinches, but takes out less than half its health. I Bite again, and guess what. IT FLINCHES AGAIN. Mr. Mime is one blow away from death, so Sandra destroys it with one more Bite.

Then, Sabrina sends out her Venomoth, I send out Brianna, and a Flamethrower obliterates it as expected. Her final Pokemon is Alakazam, and then I switch to Gus. It outspeeds, but pointlessly uses Calm Mind, and Gus' Shadow Ball wrecks it completely.

That easy victory nets us the Marsh Badge, and we proceed onward to the Seafoam Islands... until we realize we need Strength. With the expanded movesets in comparison to gen 2, I really don't wanna saddle anyone with it, so it'll have to be somebody else. We head back to Fuchsia, leave Sandra at the PC (she's been through a lot and deserves a break, bless her), do a quick Google search on Pokemon who can learn Strength, then take Sylvia the Krabby. Not only can she learn Strength, but also Cut, as well as Rock Smash later on.

The Seafoam Islands came and went without much fanfare, as did Route 20. We did find Articuno, but didn't engage with it due to our ruleset. Penny, Pedro and Gus got to level 42, and Brianna and Marvin to 41. We make it to Cinnabar Islands, then deposit Sylvia back into the PC. Sorry Sylvia, maybe I'll actually use a Kingler at some point, but not now. We withdraw Sandra, and also stop by the Pokemon Lab to revive our Dome Fossil. However, when we get it back, it's level 5. No way in hell am I grinding it up to speed, nevermind that Grass coverage isn't really that useful at this point. To the box it goes.

I took a small detour to Route 21 and got everyone up to level 42, then proceeded into the Pokemon Mansion. Populated mostly by Fire type users, getting to the Secret Key to the gym was really easy. On the way, Marvin and Pedro got to level 44 and everybody else got to level 43. We enter the gym, beat up all the trainers, and get Sandra and Pedro to level 44 as well. Considering more than half our team resists Fire, and the ones that don't outright negate it with Flash Fire, I'm not very worried about Blaine.

I start out with Penny, and he sends out a Growlithe. It Intimidates me somehow, but a Surf decimates it. He then sends out a Ponyta, and I switch to Pedro. Because Pedro is a tortoise, Ponyta manages to hit a Fire Blast, but since Pedro is Water type, it barely does anything. A Surf takes it down once again.

He sends his ace Arcanine, and I switch to Sandra. I had a plan for this, because Sandra learned Hydro Pump not too long ago. I fire it off, and it hits, but Arcanine still survives. He shoots off a Fire Blast, but misses, and I wipe it off the face of the earth with a Water Pulse. His final Pokemon is a Rapidash, and I switch to my final Water type, Marvin. It outspeeds and hits a Fire Blast, which does a bit more damage than the one Pedro took, but regardless, a Surf snuffs it out.

Another easy victory nets us the Volcano Badge, and as soon as we leave the gym, we get accosted by Bill to get us to the Sevii Islands. This is good news, since there's a couple new Fire types to catch on One Island, so we accept. We land ashore, then run to Kindle Road to test our luck. A Ponyta appears from the grass, but an unlucky crit from Brianna's Quick Attack faints it. We then proceed to Mt. Ember, where we have a chance of either Ponyta or Magmar, but before long we come upon a roadblock in the form of Strength rocks. And the PCs here don't work, so we can't withdraw Sylvia... yet.

We obtain HM06 Rock Smash in a nearby hot spring, then head back to the ferry to explore Two and Three Islands. On Two Island we find the move tutor for Blast Burn (still miss you, Ignatius...), get assigned a quest to find a lost girl, and when we get to Three Island we're told PCs are in working order again. Immediately we withdraw Sylvia, teach her Rock Smash, and head to Mt. Ember. It's here where we find another Ponyta at level 30, which we actually catch this time and name her Petra.

Afterwards, we head back to Three Island and take on the biker gang there. Pedro makes short work of them, and we proceed to Berry Forest to find Lostelle. She's currently being harassed by some random Hypno, so I send out Gus and he disintegrates it with a single Shadow Ball. We then bring Lostelle back to her father, then go back to Bill and are brought back to mainland Kanto.

By the time we're done with all that, Gus, Pedro and Brianna are at level 46, while the rest are at level 45. There's only one gym left to clear, so I go to train for a bit until I realize my levels are fine for the time being. The Viridian Gym is now open, and we wreck all the trainers inside, getting everyone to level 46 before taking on the leader, Giovanni himself! What a shock! Regardless I'm not super worried, for similar reasons to Blaine. True, my Fire types are at a disadvantage, but I still do have four Water types.

Giovanni sends out a Rhyhorn, while I pick Marvin. I know this'll be easy, so I set up Rain Dance while it uses Scary Face. I outspeed despite the Scary Face, and Surf annihilates it. He then sends out his other Rhyhorn, his ace, and I swap to Penny. A rain-boosted Surf utterly annihilates it, and Giovanni sends his Dugtrio. I switch to Sandra since she's a Flying type, and try for an Hydro Pump which misses, while it hits a Slash for little damage. Another Hydro Pump, which hits this time, dissolves it.

His next Pokemon is Nidoqueen, and I switch to Pedro who has a dual type advantage while the rain stops. It hits me with an Earthquake, obviously outspeeding, but it really doesn't do a lot of damage. Psychic, on the other hand, does a ton, and Nidoqueen is downed. The final Pokemon Giovanni sends is Nidoking, and I keep Pedro in. History repeats, and after tanking another Earthquake, Pedro fries the Nidoking's brain with Psychic,

With the Earth Badge now in our possession, we've successfully cleared the gym circuit! We speak to Giovanni one last time and he decides to retire from evil and go live in a cottage somewhere, I guess. There's only a couple more things left for us to do, but let's save that for the next part, huh?
Penny the Poliwrath, level 47 (Route 6)
Marvin the Lapras, level 47 (Gift from Saffron City)
Pedro the Slowbro, level 47 (Route 25)
Brianna the Ninetales, level 46 (Route 7)
Sandra the Gyarados, level 46 (Bought on Route 4)
Gus the Flareon, level 46 (Gift from Celadon City)

Graveyard:
Ignatius the Charizard, level 5-39 (Pallet Town - Fuschia Gym)

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Let's wrap this up at once and leave Kanto behind!
Since we have obtained all 8 badges, we head onward to Route 22 and the Pokemon League gate, only to be attacked by Grant once again!

He starts out with his Pidgeot as always, and I start with Brianna. I shoot out a Confuse Ray, but Pidgeot is undeterred and hits us with a Wing Attack. I put a Will-o-Wisp on it, burning it, and it also takes confusion damage this turn. I use a Flamethrower, and it stays confused, but is still alive by the end of the turn. One final Quick Attack brings it down.

He then sends out Rhyhorn and I switch to Marvin, who swiftly deals with it in one single Surf. Grant then sends his Exeggcute, and I swap back to Bri, who eviscerates it with a Flamethrower.

Grant's next choice is Blastoise, so I switch to Penny. It moves first and casts a Rain Dance, but I hit an Hypnosis and put it to sleep. I try for a Brick Break and it doesn't do a whole lot of damage, but at least Blastoise stays asleep. Next turn I attempt a Body Slam, but Grant decides to switch into Alakazam. I'm aware it's somewhat risky, but I decide to keep Penny in and try a rain-boosted Surf. Thankfully, Alakazam only uses Disable on my Body Slam, and Surf takes it out.

He decides to send in Growlithe, and I swap to Marvin and blow it away with a single Surf. He sends Blastoise back in, and I switch to Sandra. The rain stops, and I try to use an Hydro Pump but it barely does anything. Meanwhile, Blastoise awakens and sets up rain again. I try to use the old reliable Dragon Rage, dealing a nice chunk of damage, but then it uses Bite taking a similar amount of health from Sandra. However, Blastoise is already wounded, so we're able to keep up the assault for two more turns and it goes down.

Grant, after that clean defeat, somehow deludes himself into thinking he's won, but at least he leaves us to continue onward to Route 23. We soon make it to Victory Road, but the blasted Strength rocks strike again, so I have to go back to Viridian for Sylvia. I leave Sandra in the box, and we proceed into Victory Road.

The trek wasn't anything too special, aside from a few close calls with Gus (including the time a wild Geodude just straight up blew up on him). Once we've gotten through, everybody on the team ('cept for Sylvia, of course) is level 49. We've mae it to the Indigo Plateau, the final stop in our journey. We retrieve Sandra from the PC and get her to level 49 as well, before deciding our movesets could use an upgrade.

Firstly though, I have to get something from the Game Corner. We backtrack all the way through Victory Road, then to Route 2, Diglett's Tunnel, and Saffron City before arriving to Cerulean. I can't be arsed to go to the slots again, so I just buy the necessary coins with my huge wallet (like 17000 pokedollars). We then go to the Prize Corner and nab a TM for Thunderbolt.

We go all the way back to the Indigo Plateau and start putting our TMs to use. We teach Brianna Return in place of Quick Attack (She's the fastest in the team anyway), give Gus Dig and Double Team instead of Tackle and Sand Attack (Dig he'll be able to make use of with his attack, and Double Team... I guess because I wanted to?), and put Surf and Thunderbolt on Sandra instead of Water Pulse and Dragon Rage.

And then I realized Gyarados' special attack is its lowest stat.

Obviously I wouldn't delete the very expensive Thunderbolt, but in order to delete Surf... I had to go to Fuschia City's Move Deleter.

So I backtrack through Victory Road, Route 2, Diglett's Tunnel, Saffron, Cerulean, and the Cycling Road before making it to Fuschia, deleting Surf from Sandra, teaching her Earthquake on the spot (since Gus couldn't learn it), then heading allll the way back to the Indigo Plateau.

Anyway, after all that, we begin the grind for the E4 and Champion. Level 56 seems like a good point to reach, and it's also past any moves we may or may not want to learn via levelup. We do get some new moves, namely Flamethrower on Gus replacing Double Team (Yes, I got rid of Double Team that quick) and Hyper Beam on Sandra replacing Hydro Pump (There's already enough Water coverage to go around on the team).

Then the UCL Discord suggested I put Ice Beam on Pedro. You guessed it, time to go back to the Game Corner. Again.

God I miss Ignatius.

So we go back through... all the aforementioned places, but this time I'm not just buying the coins straight away, since I'd like to save up for some healing items. Instead, it's time to cheese the Game Corner with savestates again. We gather 2000 coins, then buy the rest because I'm tired, and obtain an Ice Beam TM for Pedro.

On the way back to the Indigo Plateau (for real this time), we also stop by the Cinnabar Islands to grab a couple Hyper Potions. I'm running kinda low on cash, and while these don't heal status effects, they're able to fully heal any of my Pokemon aside from Marvin (who has an astounding 230 HP). We then get through Victory Road one last time, and finally we're ready.

Except I realize I have a bunch of stat boosting items in my bag, and since I don't plan to use any I dump them on the Indigo Plateau shop... and obtain like 7000 Pokedollars. Sigh.

We're now able to buy 30 Full Restores (excessive, I know, but just to be safe), and NOW we're ready. Team pic time!

Like my editing skills? I made this for all the 3 of you reading this, you best appreciate it. I didn't have a lot of held items (what's in the pic plus a cleanse tag and a scant few berries), so I did what I could. I also used a PP Up on Sandra's Hyper Beam, I just forgot to screenshot after the fact. Anyway, it's time to challenge the E4 once and for all!

Our first opponent is Lorelei, the Ice type master. I was fairly confident for this one, but it actually turned out rather tough. Might have had something to do with me sticking Thunderbolt on Sandra...

Speaking of Sandra, she goes first, up against Dewgong. I attempt a Thunderbolt, and while it does decently, it's not enough to knock it past half health. Dewgong sets up Hail, which'll be a minor annoyance. I try to Earthquake and while it is more powerful, it's just neutral damage, knocking Dewgong into the red, and it uses Safeguard for absolutely no reason. Lorelei naturally heals next turn, and I try another Thunderbolt, dealing the same damage as before. I'm sick of this, so I blast it with a Hyper Beam which luckily KOs.

I switch to prevent the recharge turn, and send Penny in to fight Cloyster. Brick Break hits for well over half its HP, but it sets up Spikes. Another minor annoyance, but at least the hail's stopped now. One more Brick Break and Cloyster goes down.

Then she sends out her Slowbro. I can't keep Penny in against that, so I switch Sandra back in. Since I have a Slowbro of my own, I try to check Pablo's stats to see what'd do better against it... and accidentally send it out. Slowbro uses Yawn, however, and I'm able to switch back to Sandra, with little consequence other than another Yawn. I hit it with Thunderbolt, not getting past the half health mark, and not only does it hit me with an Ice Beam, it also freezes me.

I decide to heal her with a Full Restore (while I'm trying to avoid in battle heals, I think it's fair when she has two of those at the ready), and Slowbro immediately hits another Yawn. I attempt Hyper Beam but only manage to get it to the red (Slowbro has huge Defense), and promptly fall asleep while it pelts me with an Ice Beam. Somehow, even though Sandra's asleep, she still needs to recharge, so Slowbro hits yet another Ice Beam.

I attempt another Thunderbolt but Sandra stays asleep, and the damage from the Ice Beams is starting to pile up. I decide to switch to Marvin, who shrugs off the next Ice Beam easily (quad resists are a wonderful thing), and a Body Slam brings Slowbro down at last.

Lorelei's next Pokemon is Jynx, and since it's not a Water type it's easy pickings for Brianna. Flamethrower isn't an OHKO surprisingly, but Jynx retaliates with a pathetic Ice Punch. Lorelei predictably heals, so I try for a Return, which deals less damage. Even then, a final Flamethrower destroys it.

Her final Pokemon is Lapras, so I send Penny out again. I attempt a Hypnosis and succeed, and in the next turn hit it with Brick Break. It immediately wakes up though, then heals with its Sitrus Berry and hits me with Body Slam. Another Brick Break almost kills it, but it survives and Body Slams again. Thankfully Lorelei is out of Full Restores, so one more Brick Break finishes it off and nets us the win.

Up next is Bruno, who it seems was downgraded much like Koga. Believe it or not, his team is not as dangerous as last time, thanks in part due to the fact that we have Pedro this time round.

He begins with his Onix, and I send out Penny. This matchup is absolutely perfect. A Surf takes it down immediately, naturally, and Bruno retorts with... his other Onix. Same story with this one, and Penny doesn't break a sweat.

Then comes something that'll actually take more than a second to beat, Hitmonchan. Unlike in GSC, it doesn't have insane elemental coverage, so I send Pedro. It obviously moves first with Sky Uppercut, but does minimal damage while I almost kill it outright with Psychic. Bruno uses a Full Restore, but it doesn't matter because my next Psychic is a crit. The resulting brain torsion makes Hitmonchan drop dead.

Bruno sends out his Hitmonchan next, and I know this one has Normal moves that could deal some damage, so I switch to Sandra. While she doesn't have any SE moves, there's still the resistance from the Flying type. I use Earthquake and it's surprisingly effective, taking it to the low yellow while it strikes a Mega Kick for meh damage. I use Thunderbolt to finish it, but Bruno unexpectedly Full Restores, so it doesn't go down. However, another Earthquake succeeds in that regard.

Bruno's final Pokemon is Machamp, and I send Pedro back in. This is why I didn't want Pedro losing health earlier. It moves first and uses Bulk Up, and a Psychic does unexpectedly high damage, taking it to the red. Since it has a Sitrus Berry, it heals up to yellow, but that won't save it. Next turn it uses Cross Chop, and even with the Attack boost from Bulk Up, it doesn't leave much of a mark. Psychic, on the other hand, crumples it like a wet paper bag and nets us another deathless win.

After what we went through last time (RIP Yui, bless her soul), this was honestly a bit of a letdown.

Next up, Agatha, master of Ghost types. Gus' Shadow Ball will be the key to this one, much like in Lavender Town.

I send out Gus against her first Gengar. It actually outspeeds (Gus ain't that fast) and uses Double Team, but a successful Shadow Ball puts an end to its tomfoolery. Her next Pokemon is Golbat, and I send out Pedro. Its Bite takes half of Pedro's health, leading me to think maybe I didn't think this through enough, but thankfully Psychic is an OHKO.

Agatha's next choice is Arbok, I switch to Sandra, and we Intimidate each other. I use Earthquake, dropping it to the low yellow, and it uses Screech, giving me a defense drop it won't be able to utilise. One more Earthquake and Arbok goes six feet under.

Next up comes the other Gengar. I was expecting Haunter, but whatever, I send out Gus. This Gengar turns out to be trouble. It outspeeds and hits Hypnosis meaning I can't move, and since I know it has Nightmare, I use a leftover Awakening to wake him up, but it hits a Sludge Bomb and poisons him. With the poison damage, Gus takes more than half his health in damage. I use a Full Restore, and while Gengar hits another Sludge Bomb, this time it doesn't poison, so Gus still has more than half his health.

It tries an Hypnosis but thankfully misses, and when I hit it with a Shadow Ball, it almost dies. It recovers with its Sitrus Berry, and in the next turn Agatha Full Restores it. A Shadow Ball still takes it to almost death, however. Agatha uses her other Full Restore, and I try a Dig, somehow forgetting the Gengar line all have Levitate. After Dig, Gengar gets another Sludge Bomb off, not poisoning, and somehow Shadow Ball OHKOs this time. Don't ask me how, it just happened.

Finally, Agatha sends her Haunter. Gus is pretty roughed up from the fight with Gengar, so I switch to Sandra. A Bite from her, boosted by the held BlackGlasses, takes half of Haunter's health, and it misses a Hypnosis. One more Bite finishes it off, giving us another victory. We're now more than halfay through, and no deaths yet! Let's hope that sticks.

The final member of the E4 is Lance, demoted not unlike Bruno. His team, suitably, is worse for wear when compared to the one he had as champion. His levels are higher, but so are mine. Let's do this.

His first Pokemon is Gyarados, and I send out Sandra. Mirror match! I use Thunderbolt, and take more than half its health. I was expecting a OHKO, but that's good enough. It, in turn, uses Dragon Rage and removes 40HP from Sandra's health. Another Thunderbolt takes the enemy Gyarados down.

Next up comes Aerodactyl, and I send out Marvin but almost immediately regret it. Its AncientPower takes a good chunk of health off of Marvin, and while my Ice Beam leaves it on the red, I don't wanna risk a crit. I heal, and so does he, and then I send out Pedro. Aerodactyl's AncientPower then does a lot less damage, and while it gets another one off in the next turn, Pedro's Ice Beam is a crit and brings it down in one shot.

Dragonair is up next, and it uses Safeguard before I blast it with an Ice Beam dropping it to the red. I expected a heal, but Dragonair surprises me using Outrage. Still, it doesn't save itself from another Ice Beam, and it goes down. Pedro levels up to 57, as well!

Lance sends his other Dragonair, and I switch to Marvin. As I suspected, a STAB Ice Beam is more than enough to destroy it, and Lance's final Pokemon, Dragonite, follows along exactly the same way. That's the power of quad weaknesses!

Man, that was kind of a letdown. Let's see if the final battle manages to be at least a bit more exciting!

And the champion is... Grant! Oh my god what a shock! Let's see what he has in store!

He starts out with Pidgeot, and... I forgot to switch Sandra from the front of the party. I use Thunderbolt, and with Sandra's subpar Special Attack, it deals less than half its healthbar. Its Aerial Ace, however, does even less to me in comparison. I decide to fire a Hyper Beam, and that succeeds in taking it down permanently. Sandra happens to level up from this!

His next Pokemon is Rhydon, which I take down with one Surf from Penny as usual, and she levels up as a result! Next comes Alakazam, and I switch to Gus. It moves first and its Psychic deals frighteningly big damage, over half of his healthbar, but luckily Shadow Ball is a OHKO.

Then comes Blastoise. I switch to Pedro, forgetting it has Bite, and that's what it uses. It thankfully deals only moderate damage, as does my Psychic to him. I decide to switch to Penny then, and it sets up a Rain Dance. It uses Hydro Pump and does considerable damage, with the rain boost and all, but I put it to sleep with a Hypnosis. Brick Break takes out about a fourth of its health, less than I'd like but it's something. It heals with its Sitrus Berry, but stays asleep regardless.

A few more turns go by, with me using Brick Break and it staying asleep. Eventually, its health drops to red and I prepare to deal the final blow with Body Slam, but Grant switches to Exeggutor. Body Slam does decent damage, but I have to switch out now. I swap over to Brianna, and it tries Sleep Powder but misses. A Flamethrower drops it to the red, and Exeggutor misses an Egg Bomb. Grant Full Restores once, but two more Flamethrowers score Brianna the kill.

Grant then sends out Blastoise again and I switch to Sandra. He predictably Full Restores, but I use Thunderbolt and take off around a third of its health. The next Thunderbolt also hits decently, and the Hydro Pump it fires off does a chunk of Sandra's health in, but it's no big deal. I'm not sure if one more Thunderbolt would KO, so I play it safe with Hyper Beam and wreck it.

Finally comes his Arcanine. This little guy has taken a major level in badass, as you'll soon see. I switch to Penny, and it hits me with ExtremeSpeed for decently big damage while I hit a Surf for more or less half its health. It shoots out a Flamethrower, leaving Penny in low yellow range, and Surf surprisingly doesn't kill it.

Grant will obviously heal next turn, so I switch to Brianna and so he does. I hit off a Confuse Ray, but it still gets off a Flamethrower. Unfortunately for him, Flash Fire negates the attack entirely. Arcanine hits ExtremeSpeed, getting rid of confusion, and I hit it with Return for less damage than I'd like. ExtemeSpeed hits again, and I get another Confuse Ray. I attempt a Flash Fire-boosted Flamethrower, and albeit it doesn't do much, Arcanine winds up confused this turn, hitting yellow health.

Brianna's health is also yellow, so I decide to switch to Marvin. Flamethrower is neutral with him, yes, but he's the only one on full health. He takes an ExtremeSpeed upon switching in, but in the next turn it's paralyzed by confusion, and a crit Surf ends the battle and wins us the championship!

That's right, I just beat the rival fight without healing through the entire battle. And we've claimed another champion title, with only one death to boot! Let's have a look at the Hall of Fame, yeah?

Sandra, oh man. The oldest living member of the team. We've been through many things together, and you've definitely pulled your weight. Taking out Misty singlehandedly, repeatedly fighting Grant's Blastoise, finishing off Koga's Muk when Ignatius couldn't, and being the only Water type on the team for a long while. You didn't particularly stand out after we got a couple more Water types, but you were still a solid member. You were especially helpful on the E4, with your expanded moveset. Hyper Beam and Earthquake were particularly useful there. Thanks for everything, you deserve a rest.

Penny! I remember wanting a Poliwrath back in Johto, but since there were no Water Stones I had to settle for Politoed. No offense to Kenny, but you've definitely shown your worth here. Turning various Fire and Ground types to mush with Surf, walling off Koga's Koffings with your Damp ability, and dealing with Lorelei's Ice types and Bruno's Onix-es. Helping out with Grant's Arcanine in that final battle as well! You and Kenny have proven the worth of the Poliwag line, and I'm glad to have had you here.

Gus, goddamn, stop scaring me like this! Your defenses are about as strong as tissue paper, but your Attack is absolutely beastly. The moment you got Shadow Ball, you became the biggest threat to Ghost and Psychic types in the whole region. Lavender Tower, Sabrina, Agatha, and Grant's Alakazam all fell to your might. Even discounting that, Secret Power was also hugely powerful. Only reason I didn't give you Return is because Brianna needed it more. I'd considered turning you to Vaporeon, but Flareon still turned out to be perfect. Just stop almost dying on me, for Christ's sake.

Marvin, the latest addition to the team. Official dragonslayer of the group! Obviously due to your late addition you didn't have so many moments to shine, but you helped out with Giovanni, saved Sandra from Lorelei's Slowbro, obliterated Lance's Dragons, and dealt the final blow to Grant's Arcanine. Lapras has always been solid, it's a shame I couldn't get you earlier. I'm not sure we'd have made it so easily without you, pal.

Bri! Another of the early members and the sole source of Fire attacks after Ignatius left us. Not to mention your insane stall abilities! Confusion plus Burn is a killer tactic. You swept Erika with Ignatius, stalled Koga's Weezing to death, wrecked Lorelei's Jynx, roasted Grant's Exeggutor, and then lent a hand against his Arcanine. Your limited movepool wasn't too great, but Flamethrower was more than enough for a while. You go, stall queen!

And Pedro. I'll admit I was just a bit skeptical after using a Slowpoke in a casual playthrough of Moon, but you definitely pulled through. Your speed is really bad, but your bulk more than makes up for it. The bane of Fighing and Poison types around the region, you helped massively with Giovanni and the Rockets in general, swept through Bruno, took down Agatha's Golbat, and even scored a surprise victory against Lance's Aerodactyl! I've definitely changed my mind about this line. You sir, you dopey little dinosaur thing, are great.

And so we've done it! Two regions down, five more to go! Next time, we'll be travelling to Hoenn!
Sandra the Gyarados, level 57 (Bought on Route 4)
Penny the Poliwrath, level 57 (Route 6)
Pedro the Slowbro, level 57 (Route 25)
Brianna the Ninetales, level 56 (Route 7)
Gus the Flareon, level 56 (Gift from Celadon City)
Marvin the Lapras, level 56 (Gift from Saffron City)

Graveyard:
Ignatius the Charizard, level 5-39 (Pallet Town - Fuschia Gym)

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Howzabout we start going on our Hoenn journey?
So apparently we're moving onto Hoenn to live the rest of our days in a secluded small town in the woods.

Nah, to hell with that! We name ourselves Steven (by complete coincidence, because I completely forgot about the actual Steven) and take off from the moving truck right into the first route to get slaughtered by wild Pokemon. Unfortunately, the local Pokemon Prof. has beaten us to the punch here, as he's being assaulted by a Zigzagoon and begs us to help him. A nearby bag holds the prequisite 3 starter Pokemon, giving us the choice between Mudkip and Torchic.

Now while I love Mudkip with all my heart, the reality is that you can get a couple water types very easily in this game, so Torchic it is. We kill the Zigzagoon and go on our merry way. The first battle against May is up next, so we train a bit up to level 7. The fight itself is easy, in no small part due to Torchic scoring a critical hit. We then get back to Birch's lab, recieve the Pokedex and some balls, and get to nickname Torchic.

As it turns out, Torchic is a female, and we christen her as Theresa. We then go onward to start our journey, and after passing by Oldale town, we get our first catch right on Route 103! A male Wingull at level 3, named Luke. Heading to Route 102, we get yet another catch, in the form of a female Lotad at level 4 named Leticia. Hoenn is very generous in the early game!

We beat a couple trainers in this route, and by the end of it, Theresa is at level 8 and everyone else is level 7. Leticia also gets Absorb, sprucing up her moveset a bit. Luke gets Supersonic as well, which while unreliable might still come in handy. Over on Petalburg, we are introduced to our new dad, Wally, and the concept of catching Pokemon for the third time.

After that, we go to Route 104 and obtain yet another partner! A Marill at level 4, named Rhonda. While I'd rather use a Marill with Fairy type, this'll have to do for now. She has Thick Fat, too, so no Huge Power hax. Anyway, we manage to beat every trainer on this half of the route, getting Rhonda to level 7 as well, before moving onto Petalburg Woods.

Nothing we find in Petalburg Woods is really able to challenge us; even if anything did, Theresa is right there ready to fire them up. We leave Petalburg, get through the rest of Route 104, and everybody gets to level 9. We've gotten to Rustboro, location of the first gym of the Hoenn League. We're still some levels away from being ready to face said gym, so we head east to Route 116 and take on the trainers there.

We mostly train Rhonda and Leticia here, since they have the type advantage (and no weakness to rock, unlike Luke). They both get to level 11, and Rhonda gets Water Gun, but Luke and Theresa also get in the action and get to level 10. At the gym, the regular trainers fail to provide any significant challenge, and both Rhonda and Leticia rise to level 12. I consider this enough to face the leader, Roxanne, and so we do.
Vs. Roxanne said:
I send out Rhonda to start with, and she sends her first Geodude. Unsurprisingly, Water Gun completely destroys it, getting Rhonda to level 13.

Roxanne sends her other Geodude, I switch into Leticia, and Absorb, while not knocking it out, does some hefty damage.
It uses Defense Curl rather pointlessly, and another Absorb wrecks it, also putting Leticia at level 13

Now comes the big guy. A level 14 Nosepass, not nearly as weak to water or grass as the other two. I keep Leticia in, with the intention of switching to Rhonda if things get hairy.
Nosepass immediately uses Block, preventing me from switching (gee thanks), and Absorb deals... respectable damage, though less than I'd like.
It uses Harden, which doesn't impact my next Absorb in any way.
It then tries a Tackle but misses (evidently this hasn't been a good day for it), and my next Absorb leaves it at yellow health, but it uses an Oran Berry to heal up a bit.
The next Tackle from it hits and actually hurts quite a bit, but at least Absorb takes some of the lost health back.
Same thing happens next turn, except thit time I get a crit on Absorb, leaving Nosepass on the red.
Roxanne then uses two Potions back to back, which only means more health to absorb for me.
We then continue trading blows, until finally Nosepass falls with my final Absorb (I ran out of PP at just the right time, thankfully).
Also, Leticia gets to level 14, evolving into Lombre!
(You like what I did with the battles? It adds a bit of organization, which I like!)

We obtain the Stone Badge, get a TM for Rock Tomb (doubt I'll use it but hey), and as soon as we leave the gym we're hounded by some guy to go recover his top secret corporate documents. On the way we battle a couple wild Pokemon, getting Theresa and Luke to level 11 (they really gotta catch up).

We catch the Team Aqua grunt taking some poor Wingull hostage, and Theresa steps in and burns his Poochyena to death with 2 Embers, getting to level 12 as well. We take the classified documents to their rightful owner, and are rewarded with a wrist-mounted flip phone (with GPS included) and tasked with taking a letter to a cave. As we head back to Route 104, we're caught by surprise by May, who challenges us to a battle!
Vs. May said:
May leads with a Torkoal (It appears she's following my ruleset as well! Nice to have a partner!) and I lead with Luke.
It starts using Curse, which ordinarily wouldn't be a bad strategy, except I have Water Gun and it deals special damage.
I Water Gun about 4 times to knock it out, and all the while Torkoal continues using Curse until it goes down. Luke levels up to 12.

Afterwards comes Mudkip, and I switch into Leticia.
I try the newly learned Nature Power, which due to the plain terrain turns into Swift, and it does serviceable damage.
I then attempt Absorb, and it does good damage as well, so I start alternating between the two.
I forgot to write down what Mudkip was doing, but it can't have been too significant, since we manage to beat it in four turns.
That battle done with, I decide to get into the Cut-restricted zone of Route 116, for which I need to teach Cut to somebody. I choose to use it on Theresa (that's the third starter I've stuck Cut into, my god), and we venture into this new restricted zone. We beat the trainers here, grab some miscellaneous stuff, and Luke and Theresa grow to level 13. Luke learns Wing Attack, which'll come in handy very soon.

Apparently a nearby island holds our next destination, the second gym, so we ask the owner of the hostage Wingull from earlier (who just happens to be a sailor, what luck) if he can take us there. He does send us... on his Wingull. It's about as terrifying as you'd expect, flying on a tiny seagull. Anyway, we've made it to Dewford, a town so shitty it doesn't even have a Pokemart. Apparently a trendy phrase here is "Lousy Home", which is a rather apt descriptor of Dewford if you ask me.

We speak to some fisherman guy and recieve the Old Rod! Now, while it does retain its non-Magikarp catching properties from Johto, the fact is we've already got a pretty solid selection of Water types on the team. We still take a bit of time to catch a Magikarp and a Tentacool on Routes 106 and 107, but only for the sake of Dupes Clause. I don't wanna use stuff that's been in previous Hall of Fame entries, but I don't wanna potentially screw myself over with Global Dupes either, so I've left the potential option there.

Afterwards, we head off to Granite Cave, which is where we have to deliver the letter. We find the person who we gotta deliver the letter to, and he introduces himself as... EVIL STEVEN! The anthitesis of everything I've ever done, he swears to one day take me down with his team of powerful Steel Types!

Oh, he also gives me a TM for Steel Wing. Thanks, Evil Steven!

Anyway, we've gotta prepare for the gym, so we train up some in the cave before heading right in there. We take down the various Fighting type trainers, and then prepare to take on the leader, Brawly. But let's leave that for next time, yeah?
Luke the Wingull, level 17 (Route 103)
Leticia the Lombre, level 15 (Route 102)
Rhonda the Marill, level 15 (Route 104)
Theresa the Torchic, level 14 (Gift from Route 101)

Last edited:

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Brawly, here we come!
The fight against Brawly went... fine. You'll see in a sec.
Vs. Brawly said:
Brawly leads with a Machop, I start out with Rhonda. I figured this would be easy.
I hit Water Gun and it crits, but doesn't even leave it in half health. Machop then hits a Low Kick for decent damage.
Another, non-crit Water Gun drops it to yellow, but Low Kick drops Rhonda to KO range.
I switch into Luke, who gets hit with a crit Karate Chop for half his health.
I decide to heal up, and a regular Karate Chop deals a quarter.
A Wing Attack almost KOs it, and a Low Sweep from it barely does anything.
Brawly then heals, but a Wing Attack cuts its health by half.
Another Wing Attack brings it to the brink of death, while it Bulks Up rather pointlessly.
A final Wing Attack successfully downs it.

Next up comes Meditite, and I keep Luke in.
I'm aware what this guy's packing, so instead of healing I Wing Attack while it tries for a Focus Punch and fails.
Meditite's only offensive option is Focus Punch, so I continue attacking with Wing Attack (and eventually Water Gun to save PP).
After Brawly wastes a heal on this pile of useless, I take the Meditite down and Luke levels up to 18.

Finally we're up against Makuhita. I keep Luke in still.
I heal now, but Makuhita hits a Vital Throw for a big chunk of Luke's HP.
My Wing Attack hits it for about half its health, however its Vital Throw leaves Luke in KO range.
Not wanting to risk a death, I heal, and it hits Vital Throw again.
The next Wing Attack stops just short of killing it, while it hits me with another Vital Throw and heals up some with a Sitrus Berry.
Luke is a hit away from death, so I try to heal but only have 2 Potions left.
Each Potion heals just a couple hit points after each Vital Throw, however.
I Wing Attack, still not taking Makuhita down, and it hits me with a Vital Throw...
...miraculously leaving me at 2 HP. A final Wing Attack wins us the fight.
Wew, that was a close one. It's what I get for relying on just one Pokemon and not stocking up on heals, though. We get the Knuckle Badge and a TM for Bulk Up which I doubt we'll ever use.

We ride Briney's Wingull onto Route 109, on the other side of Hoenn. Since there's a bunch of trainers on the beach, we beat all of them, and get Rhonda to level 17 as well as Leticia and Theresa to level 16. This marks a special occasion, as Theresa evolves into a fearsome Combusken, learning Double Kick!

When we get into Slateport City, it turns out some jackasses are loitering at the local oceanic museum. We go beat them up, and Leticia gets to level 17. There's not a lot to do in this city, so we proceed onto Route 110, detouring into Route 103 on the way. Murderizing anything that gets in our way gets both Theresa and Leticia to level 19 and Rhonda to 18 (evolving her to Azumarill), and as we walk along the trail under Cycling Road, we run into May again!
Vs. May said:
Her leading Pokemon is Lombre (still following the Water/Fire ruleset I see!), while I send out Luke.
Wing Attack takes over half its health, while it hits with a Nature Power (Swift) doing not a lot of damage.
With another Wing Attack, Lombre is already down, and Luke levels up to 19.

Next up she sends her Slugma (still ruleset compliant, I like it), and I swap to Rhonda.
Water Gun does devastating damage to it, but it counters with Yawn.
Thankfully May doesn't heal, so another Water Gun brings it to its knees.

Finally comes her Marshtomp, and I switch to Leticia.
Its first move is a Bide, and I hit it with an Absorb for decent damage.
I stall out the next few turns, and when Bide hits it deals a good chunk of damage to Leticia.
I use a potion to heal, and it hits a Water Gun for pitiful damage.
It continues using Water Gun, but two more Absorbs bring it down.
After that breather fight, we move onward through Route 110, getting everyone to level 20 before arriving at Mauville City. There, we obtain an Acro Bike, an HM for Rock Smash, and a Coin Case for gambling after fetching a Harbor Mail for some lady. Since we have a bike, we can now get into the Cycling Road and wreck all the trainers with Magnemites using Theresa's Double Kick and Ember. She gets to level 21 from this, naturally.

We take a gander at the local gym in Mauville, and as it turns out, Wally is there. He still has only his Ralts, so we hand his ass to him easily. I don't think we're ready for the gym quite yet, so we venture to Route 111 to beat everybody there. We're blocked from progressing there by a bunch of rocks, but we do fight a few trainers (including the Winstrate Family) getting everyone to level up once.

We try our luck at Route 117, but there's a river blocking our way. However, since there's a few trainers scattered around, we beat them and get Theresa to level 23, everybody else to 22. I suppose this might be a good time to head on over to the gym again. So we do, and using just Theresa and Leticia we get though everyone there (leveling both of them up to 24 in the process) before arriving at the leader, Wattson!
Vs. Wattson said:
I lead with Leticia, and Wattson sends out a Voltorb.
I start out with Fake Out, so Voltorb obviously flinches.
Voltorb hits a Spark but doesn't do that much, while I strike a Swift via Nature Power.
Voltorb then blindsides me with a Selfdestruct, but luckily Leticia lives on low yellow.

Next up comes Electrike, and I switch into Theresa.
It moves first and Shock Waves me, I hit it with an Ember for half its health
Same thing happens next turn, and Electrike gets KO'd while Theresa is at half health.

Theresa remains in against Magneton, Wattson's next Pokemon.
I heal, and Magneton hits with a Shock Wave for pretty hefty damage.
It then tries a Sonicboom but fortunately misses, and my Double Kick hits a crit and takes it down.

Finally comes Manectric, and Theresa stays in.
I heal up again, but Manectric's Shock Wave almost takes out half my health (jeez).
It Howls, which shouldn't be too much of an issue, and a crit Ember takes out over half its health, but it restores itself with a Sitrus Berry.
Then it Shock Waves me again, leaving me at 5 HP, and I hit another Ember
Obviously I heal with a Soda Pop, but it doesn't fill up my HP fully. Manectric Quick Attacks.
It Howls again, and my Ember leaves it in the red.
Wattson then heals with a Super Potion, and I hit Ember again.
Manectric shoots out another Shock Wave, leaving Theresa at 10 HP, but we score a crit with Ember (also boosted by Blaze) and finally take it down.
That was... better than Brawly, but still got pretty tough. We obtain the Dynamo Badge as well as a TM for Shock Wave. Next up we have to journey into Route 111 with Rock Smash (which we teach to Leticia), and so we will... next time.
Theresa the Combusken, level 24 (gift from Route 101)
Leticia the Lombre, level 24 (Route 102)
Rhonda the Azumarill, level 22 (Route 104)
Luke the Wingull, level 22 (Route 103)

Last edited:

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
A lot of travelling around on this one, whew.
Okay so I lied a little bit last time. We're actually not going to Route 111 yet, we're taking a detour to Verdanturf first, if only to clear out the blockade in Rusturf Tunnel. We do that, and fighting the lone Hiker there gets Luke to level 23. Now we're going on to Route 111, and frankly, none of the trainers there gave me much trouble at all. Rhonda and Luke got to level 24, and Leticia is at level 25. We do have to take a detour halfay through the route since there's a sandstorm in the way, so we turn to Route 112.

This turns out to be good news, however. We have a new encounter at our disposition here! We could get a Marill, but we already have Rhonda so that's out of the question. This leaves just one option, Numel! Would have come in handy for Wattson, but whatever. Eventually we encounter one at level 15 and name her Mary. We go train a bit on Route 117 until she gets to level 19, then continue onward.

We find a cable car that goes up to the top of Mt. Chimney, but I think it was broken or something. Point is, we can't go up there yet. Another detour leads us through Fiery Path, a cavern underneath a volcano, which naturally means fire types. Our first encounter here is a Torkoal at level 15, which we immediately catch. We name her Bianca and proceed on our way. We have a full party now! Yay!

So anyway, we leave Fiery Path, trudge through what's left of Routes 112 and 111, and arrive at Route 113 with Bianca having leveled up to 17. Here we have yet another fire type catch, one which we could also have gotten at Fiery Path if we were unlucky. Out from the grass comes a level 15 Slugma, and we swiftly catch her and name her Willow. Unfortunately we probably won't be using her since Slugma is kinda trash until it evolves... at level 38. No thanks.

Anyway, none of the trainers here pose any trouble either. Not even the Ninja Boy carrying 3 Koffing manages to do anything much. He does manage a Selfdestruct, but thanks to Rhonda (the absolute unit) tanking it, nobody got seriously harmed. By the time we get to Fallarbor, Bianca and Mary have gotten to level 21.

Since there's not a lot to do at Fallarbor (aside from the move relearner, but we don't even have Heart Scales yet), we charge headfirst into Route 114 and come out on the other side with Bianca and Mary at level 23 and a newly evolved Pelipper, with Luke at level 25 (no shit he was doing worse than usual, he was on the brink of evolving this whole time!)

Onward to Meteor Falls! Which is boring. I think there was some sort of turf war going on here, between the blue jackasses from the ocean museum and some new, red jackasses. But nothing really happens, we don't get to fight anybody, and we just leave throught the other side of the cavern and into Route 115.

We've been here before, but now there's actual stuff to do other than standing around on the beach. There's tall grass, though no new catches here, and also some trainers to fight. We engage them, which gets Mary and Bianca up to level 24, and hop over the ledge to get back to Rustboro City.

Thanks to the shortcut we've created through Rusturf Tunnel, getting back to Mauville City is easy as pie. We go back through Route 111, but the sandstorm still blocks our path. We sidestep into Route 112, and lo and behold, the cable car has been fixed!

So yeah, we take a trip to the top of what's apparently an active volcano (there's still boiling lava in the crater), and we find the red jackasses again. We beat a bunch of them up, get Luke up to level 26, and their leader challenges us, a 12 year old, to a fight.
Vs. Head Red Jackass Maxie said:
Maxie leads with his Mightyena, and I send Bianca out.
It Bites me, and I decide to set up with Curse.
I then realize Bite is special in this gen, so I switch to Theresa who takes a Bite.
After another Bite from Mightyena, a Double Kick is enough to slaughter it entirely.

Next up, he sends his Camerupt, and I switch to Rhonda.
I erode it with a Bubblebeam, but it hangs on to dear life and hits a Tackle.
Maxie then heals with a Super Potion, but Camerupt doesn't reach full HP and one Bubblebeam annihilates it. Rhonda levels up to 27.

His last Pokemon is a Zubat, and I send out Mary.
I hit it with Ember, but when it hits back with Wing Attack, it does distressingly big damage.
I switch to Luke just in case, who manages to dodge a Supersonic.
He then hits a Supersonic right back, and Zubat hits itself.
One final Water Gun and Zubat goes down.
Yeah, that wasn't too hard. Anyway, we evict the red hooligans from the mountain, and the blue hooligans follow suit. We can either go back the way we came from, or tumble down the side of the volcano through Jagged Pass. I choose the latter, because I just love getting scrapes all over my body.

As we roll downhill, we partake in some more trainer battles, getting Mary and Bianca to level 25 as well as Leticia to level 26. No new encounters here, though we could get a replacement Numel here (not that I want to have to use that). We manage to make it to the bottom alive, and crawl our way to the hospital at Lavaridge Town.

Now, considering my team has two water types (excluding Leticia since she has no water moves) as well as a ground type, all on par with the level curve, I figured the local Fire-type gym wouldn't be anything too tough. So we went in, beat every single trainer up, got Mary to level 26 as well as Luke and Rhonda to level 27, and proceeded to challenge gym leader Flannery.

Let's just say I underestimated her.
Vs. Flannery said:
I lead with Mary, and Flannery starts out with a Numel of her own.
I gamble on a Magnitude, which hits an 8 and knocks Numel out immediately.

Next up comes Slugma, while I keep Numel in.
My Magnitude rolls a 6, leaving Slugma alive by just a smidgen of HP. It sets up a Light Screen in response.
Flannery heals with an Hyper Potion, however my next Magnitude is a 7 and it just about manages to put Slugma down.

Flannery sends her Camerupt, and I switch into Luke.
Water Gun scores a critical hit and wipes the Camerupt off the map entirely.
(Up to this point, everything's fine, right? Just you wait.)

She sends out her final Pokemon, Torkoal, and I switch to Rhonda.
I use a Bubblebeam, but it does a lot less damage than I expected. It uses Sunny Day, powering up its attacks and weakening mine.
I decide to use a Defense Curl, and just as well because Torkoal Body Slams me. Slugma's Light Screen also wears off.
Another Defense Curl from me meets a second Body Slam, which this time paralyzes me.
Torkoal continues Body Slamming, while I try to hit some Bubblebeams (which hit for even less now, and sometimes the paralysis stops me).
The sunlight fades, and Torkoal takes a turn to set it up again while I hit another Bubblebeam.
Rhonda's HP is pretty low by now, so I switch to Luke... who takes a crit Body Slam and winds up paralyzed.
I heal then, but Torkoal uses Overheat, almost murders Luke, and restores its special attack with its White Herb.
Then I switch back into Rhonda, who despite her current low health manages to tank an Overheat.
I heal Rhonda, but a Body Slam hits for much more than earlier (since I haven't boosted my defense).
Rhonda uses a Defense Curl, however another Body Slam takes her into the red.
I decide to switch Bianca in, and despite being underleveled, she takes a Body Slam pretty well with her naturally high defense.
Torkoal Body Slams once again, while Bianca uses Curse to raise her attack and defense.
Bianca tanks another Body Slam, then retaliates with a crit Body Slam of her own, finally knocking Torkoal down.
So that... happened. I swear, if it weren't for that lucky crit at the end, that coulda gone way worse. We rightfully obtain the Heat Badge, as well as a TM for Overheat (which I doubt we'll use due to the special attack loss, but hey, maybe), and May gives me the Go-Goggles so I can venture into the desert. Now that we have four badges, there's only one place left for us to go before we obtain Surf and the world opens up massively.

Well okay, maybe two places. We make a quick stop at the Trick House, making sure to finish all 3 currently available challenges fighting every trainer we come across. This suffices to get everyone up to level 27. Now it's time...

...to go to the desert. Yeah, okay, so three places. Whatever. Anyway, everyone except Theresa and Bianca levels up once here (because no way am I sending them up against ground types potentially packing Arena Trap). We have a chance at getting either of the region's fossils at the Mirage Tower, but neither of them will be useful to us, so we just leave it be.

Okay, NOW it's time to go challenge our dad's Normal type gym. Normally I'd beat up all the trainers, but given that one trainer's theme was "one hit KO moves", I avoided that one like the plague. In here, I make sure to level Theresa and Bianca up a level also, to have everyone even, and then head onward to fight papa Norman.
Vs. Norman said:
So Norman starts with Spinda, and I lead with Mary for a pretty neutral matchup.
I start out with Magnitude, rolling a 6, and it attempts a Teeter Dance to confuse me but misses.
Another Magnitude rolls a 7 and leaves Spinda on low yellow, but it hits me with a critical Facade and leaves Mary at literally 1 HP(!!!)
I obviously switch onto Leticia, opening with a Fake Out.
This leaves Spinda at low enough health for Norman to heal it, while I hit a Nature Power Swift for less damage than I'd like.
I decide then to start Rock Smashing, luckily dropping its defense pretty often.
At one point I have to heal up, but eventually Spinda goes down.

Next up is Vigoroth, and I switch into Theresa.
It Slashes me for half my health, while I set up with Bulk Up (raising my defense and attack).
I then heal, and it hits a Facade, luckily doing less damage.
It hits another Slash, doing some mean damage, but with a single Double Kick I decapitate it.

Norman's next Pokemon is a Linoone, and I swap to Bianca.
It strikes me with Slash while I Body Slam it.
Bianca takes another Slash, and I change my mind and start using Curse. This continues for a few turns, Slash doing less and less damage.
I heal then, and it switches to Headbutt this time.
Another Headbutt from it, but I decimate it with a Body Slam, leaving it in the red.
Norman heals, but another Body Slam takes Linoone right back to OHKO range.
It tries one final Slash, however Body Slam wrecks it.

Finally comes Slaking, and I send Luke out.
I didn't write down much about this matchup, but all you need to know is that Luke (and Bianca, too) had Protect. Do the math.
Since Bianca participates in the battle (because Luke ran out of Protect PP), she levels up to 29.
Okay, that wasn't so bad, was it? Aside from that awful scare at the start, that is... So anyway, we get the Balance Badge, a TM for Facade, and Wally's dad gives us a Surf HM. Now we can go damn near wherever we please, but let's keep things more or less in order and go for Fortree City's gym next. That's it for now.
Bianca the Torkoal, level 29 (Fiery Path)
Theresa the Combusken, level 28 (Gift from Route 101)
Luke the Pelipper, level 28 (Route 103)
Leticia the Lombre, level 28 (Route 102)
Rhonda the Azumarill, level 28 (Route 104)
Mary the Numel, level 28 (Route 112)

Last edited:

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Onto Fortree, land of flight!
Yeah okay I lied again. Before we head towards Fortree, we go over to Route 115, surf to the landmass at the top of the route (I gave Surf to Luke, btw), then beat all the trainers there and get everyone to level 29. I did this now, because last time I played I only remembered this part well after any of the trainers could give me any challenge at all. Now we head through Rustboro, Verdanturf, and Mauville to head onto...

Wait, Wattson's standing out here for whatever reason. He tasks me with going to an underground powerplant, for some reason named New Mauville, to shut it off, because my half water-type team just screams "I know how to handle electricity". Thankfully, both Mary and Theresa are able to take on the various Voltorb and Magnemite lurking about, both of them leveling up once. Why is this place called New Mauville again? Did you plan for people to live in this drab power station with dangerous electrical equipment everywhere? Anyway, we turn off the generator and recieve a TM for Thunderbolt.

Now it's time we head to Fortree, surfing past the river on Route 118 and... obtaining a Good Rod from a random fisherman. Time to go fishing! I got a Wailmer on Route 110, a Goldeen on Petalburg, a Corphish on Route 117, a Barboach on Route 111, and finally a Carvanha on Route 118. As long as nothing goes wrong, I won't be using any of these for now.

Continuing onward, we encounter EVIL STEVEN! He tries to intimidate me but I don't back down, so he leaves. Anyway, onto Route 119. It's always raining here, which combined with the prevalence of Bug types makes for some very annoying not-quite-OHKOs. Still, nothing gives us any real trouble, getting all the fire types to level 31 and the water types to level 30.

We get to the Weather Institute, which I'm not sure who thought was a good idea to put it here since it's always raining. Anyway, the water jackasses are there and we have to beat them up in order to get through. By the time we get to the end of the gauntlet, everyone on the team is level 31 and we wiped them all out without trouble. The Weather Institute dude gives me a Castform, which I thought could be used according to my ruleset as long as I set up properly, but actually not, since if the opponent sets up hail or sandstorm it loses the water or fire typing.

Moving onward, we encounter May, who challenges us to another battle! Let's see how her water/fire team is holding up!
Vs. May said:
I send out Leticia, and she coincidentally also sends her Lombre. I instantly switch out to Luke while it throws out a Fake Out, and hit it with Wing Attack while it uses Absorb for pathetic damage. One more Wing Attack and Lombre is out.

May then sends her Slugma, and I keep Luke in. Slugma doesn't even get to move before being petrified by a Surf.

Finally comes Marshtomp, and now I switch to Leticia. A critical hit with Absorb nearly takes it out, and it responds with a crit Mud Shot (which still does little to deter me). I prepare another Absorb for next turn, but Marshtomp finishes the job for me with Take Down, dying to recoil damage.
I kinda feel bad for May, honestly. That was piss easy. Anyway, she gifts us with the HM for Fly and departs. Moving forward, we reach Fortree City, but when I attempt to enter the local gym (not that I'm ready yet, rather just to check) some mysterious invisible force prevents us from getting through. Forcefields, maybe? I dunno, but I guess we should move on.

Going into Route 120, we encounter a couple more forcefields(?) until coming face to face with EVIL STEVEN AGAIN! He shows us the power of the Devon Scope, with which you can do the impossible and see the invisible (row row fight the power). Then, he reveals the mysterious forcefields are actually camouflaged Kecleons, and he sics one of them on us! The bastard nearly manages to kill Mary before we send it packing.

In his haste to leave, however, Evil Steven left his wondrous Devon Scope behind. We reclaim it as ours, then go check out the Fortree gym. I determine we're not quite up to snuff yet, and before challenging it, I grind everybody up to level 33, where Mary evolves into a Camerupt and gets Rock Slide. Getting through the gym itself was easy enough, and both Rhonda and Mary leveled up once. The leader, though... was an entirely different story.
Vs. Winona said:
Gym Leader Winona leads with a Swablu, and I send out Rhonda. I use Defense Curl, and it hits Aerial Ace for little damage. Having set up enough, I start up Rollout, which takes over half of Swablu's health while it Safeguards uselessly. One more turn of Rollout later, Swablu is out.

Next comes Tropius, and while I'd love to keep Rollout up, I'm almost sure it has at least one grass move and I'm not risking that. Instead, I switch to Bianca. I use an Iron Defense while it foolishly sets up a Sunny Day. It then doesn't even take advantadge of the sun, barely even hitting me with Aerial Ace, while I roast it with a Flamethrower. Bianca levels up to 34 from this!

The next opponent is Pelipper, so I switch back into Rhonda. It decides to Protect, which would have come in handy had I not Defense Curled. It Protects next turn too, and nails it to avoid my Rollout. Next Rollout hits, Pelipper misses a Supersonic, and one more Rollout takes it down. She earns a level up to 35, too!

Out comes Skarmory, as the sunlight fades and I switch Bianca back in. Its Aerial Ace hits for okayish damage, but my own Flamethrower melts its face off.

Now comes the final challenge, as Winona sends out her ace, Altaria. I switch Mary in, and proceed to miss a Rock Slide while it does a Dragon Dance, raising its attack and speed. The next Rock Slide connects, but it doesn't do half its health in damage and its Earthquake nearly murders Mary. I switch into Rhonda, who gets smacked with another Earthquake. I respond by healing up, but Altaria does another Dragon Dance in return. This could be trouble.
I switch to Luke, who evades the next Earthquake by virtue of being a Flying type himself. Unfortunately, none of his attacks do much to Altaria, and it still has other offensive options. I eventually have to heal, and it Dragon Dances again. Shit. I switch into Bianca and try to Iron Defense, but... I forgot about the speed boosts. Altaria uses a +3 attack Earthquake, and despite her high defenses, there's no way Bianca can survive that. She goes down, and I have to think of something fast.
Then it hit me. I switch to Rhonda and start spamming Defense Curl, to which Altaria responds by Dragon Dancing until its attack and speed are maxed out. I get Rhonda to +5 defense, at which point Altaria begins spamming Earthquake. I heal, and since I'm afraid of getting hit with a lethal crit, I put all my stock on Rollout to finish off the wretched creature. It hits once, twice, three times... and Altaria falls, with Rhonda being left at red HP.
...that was something, alright. I'm pretty sure that if anything had gone wrong on that final stretch, we'd have wiped there.

We get the Feather Badge, but it's not a happy victory. After putting Bianca to rest, I teach Luke Fly and we get to the PC to pick out a new party member. Eventually we settle on Corey, the level 25 Corphish. I go to Route 121, but when I try to enter the Safari Zone, they ABSOLUTELY DEMAND that I have a Pokeblock Case before entering, so I guess we'll have to get one. I make a quick stop at Lilicove City to grab one, make a single Pokeblock just in case, then go there. My one available encounter is a Psyduck, which I catch with a single Safari Ball. Guess that Pokeblock is gonna rot forever.

After training Corey up some with the trainers around Route 121, we head to Mt. Pyre, where we find... the water clowns again. Corey whoops their asses almost singlehandedly, leveling up to 30 and evolving to Crawdaunt. We also catch a Vulpix around here, which I don't plan to use. Near to Mt. Pyre is Route 123, where we train everyone up to level 35 by fighting the many trainers.

Once we're done grinding, we go off into Lilycove City for real now, but when we attempt to enter the local department store, we run into May again! Good to see her, let's check up on her team once again.
Vs. May said:
So I lead with Theresa, and May sends out...

A Tropius.

A TROPIUS.

BURN THE HERETIC! I Ember it three times in rage, recieving only one Stomp in response.

May sends out Marshtomp, but it's too late for that! I switch to Leticia, use Fake Out, then Absorb until Marshtomp drops dead.

Next up comes Ludicolo, who gets swiftly taken down by Luke with 2 uses of Fly.

Out comes Slugma, finally, and I send out Theresa who destroys it in two Double Kicks. Theresa is so enraged, in fact, that she levels up and evolves to Blaziken, gaining Blaze Kick.
May, young lady, you are a disgrace to the fire/water lineage. Get out of my sight, and don't talk to me or my six children ever again.

...anyway, we enter the Department Store, only to realize that unlike in Kanto, they don't sell evolution stones here. I look up where to find a Water Stone, and the Abandoned Ship on Route 108 shows up as one possibility. All the rest require the use of Dive, so we go there... only to discover this one also requires Dive. I guess Leticia's evolution will have to wait, then. Luckily we don't leave empty handed, as we get a TM for Ice Beam along with other miscellaneous trinkets.

I notice there's a bunch of unfought trainers in the sea surrounding Dewford Town, so I go around fighting and defeating all of them, getting everyone to level 37. I then decide to get back to Lilicove, but the water jackasses won't let me through their hideout until I've beaten all the fire jackasses in THEIR hideout, all the way over at Jagged Pass on the other side of the region. So I guess we're going there. Thankfully, unlike in other gens, I actually have Fly and can move around much more easily.

We bust into the Magma Hideout, only to find that we need Strength to pass. I'm not saddling any of my active team with that, so after careful consideration I choose Elena the Wailmer to shoulder the burden of both Strength and Rock Smash just in case. If we actually wanna use her later, she's level 20, so she should have enough level up moves left to supplement those. I leave Leticia at the box, and we're on our way.

We bust into the Magma Hideout for real this time, which is for real the bowels of an actual volcano. Who designed this!? As we stroll along, we get ambushed by a Torkoal... which I accidentally kill without realizing I could totally catch it. Ah well... On the bright side, none of the team fire clown grunts gave me any trouble. An Admin tries to stop me, but I utterly curbstomp him like the rest and get to the head clown, Maxie. He awakens Groudon with the blue orb (you'd think the red orb would work better, but what do I know about basic color coordination), and as it flees, we engage in a battle.
Vs. Fire Clown Leader Maxie said:
He leads with a Mightyena, and I send out Luke. He gets Swaggered and promptly hits himself, so I switch to the obvious counter, Theresa. She gets hit with a Take Down, but her Double Kick is more than enough to crack Mightyena's skull open.

Maxie brings out Camerupt, which I answer to with Corey. Obviously, a single Bubblebeam does the job more than well enough, thanks to quad weaknesses.

Lastly, Maxie sends his Crobat, and I switch to Mary. It hits a crit Wing Attack which leaves me in the red, while my Rock Slide just about breaches the half health mark. We both heal next turn, and afterwards the battle swings in my favor. A regular Wing Attack does a lot less damage, and a Rock Slide drops it to the yellow again. Maxie uses a Super Potion, but doesn't top off Crobat's HP, meaning Rock Slide tosses it to the red. It hits one more Wing Attack before my Ember puts it down.
Well that was underwhelming. Maxie declares the volcano base useless, then goes off to god knows where with the rest of the hot team. Now the wet team's turn has come to perish beneath our feet, but that'll be next time.
Theresa the Combusken, level 37 (Gift from Route 101)
Luke the Pelipper, level 37 (Route 103)
Leticia the Lombre, level 37 (Route 102)
Rhonda the Azumarill, level 37 (Route 104)
Mary the Numel, level 37 (Route 112)
Corey the Crawdaunt, level 37 (Route 117)
Graveyard:
Bianca the Torkoal, level 15-34 (Fiery Path - Fortree Gym)

Last edited:

QuietGuardian

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
You're making nice progress! I do want to note that most of your Hoenn battle reports are cut off after a certain point, so we can't see how they ended up.

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
@QuietGuardian, I've had that happen ocassionally too. Refreshing the page usually works, and you can expand the quotes then.
No update yet, just wanted to clarify.

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
I'll have to pick up the pace if I wanna finish this by the next update.
So I head to the Aqua Hideout right by Lilycove, but we can't go in yet. Before we go in, we gotta fly to Slateport to watch Archie steal a submarine, then run away... back to the Hideout. Okay that was pointless, let's get back there. Once we're finally let through, none of the wet bandits manage to get much of a scratch against us. We eventually face off with wet admin Matt, but even he poses little threat. Unfurtunately, Archie escapes (I have no idea what he came for, since we spent like 20 minutes tops clearing out the building), and while the game wants me to chase him, it's no big deal. We'll find him when we find him.

I got through Route 124 trying to get by as quickly as I can, and so I arrived at Mossdeep City. After a quick heal break and a tour of the city, I obtain the Super Rod and head north towards Route 125. There's a couple trainers here, but my main goal is to get to Shoal Cave. It's here that I find and catch a Spheal at level 26, naming him Tim. I explored Shoal Cave at both low and high tide, got myself a Shell Bell which I'll never use, and leveled everybody up to 39.

I then make the decision to add Tim to the team, deciding on a 7-member rotation before taking on the Mossdeep Gym. After seeking out every single trainer rematch available, Tim got caught up with the rest at level 39, and then got everybody to level 41 on top of that. Before entering the gym, I leave Theresa at the PC, since she's the only one who is weak to Psychic.

So, you'd think the gym trainers would be easy enough, right? Wrong. The gimmick here is double battles, and I, being a good sport, decide to take them on like that. Everything's fine until I encounter a pair of trainers carrying a Kadabra and a Wobuffett, and I send out Corey and Rhonda. Wobuffett is bad news on its own, but Kadabra exacerbated the tension. I took out Kadabra first, obviously, but not before it got off a Future Sight. Then I focused all my power on Wobuffett, figuring a two-on-one would be advantageous enough. Unfortunately, Wobuffett lived, and got off a Counter on Rhonda...

Who lived on red health. I sighed, and prepared to heal then deal the final blow.

And immediately after, Future Sight hit Rhonda. Shit. I guess we're back to a party of 6.

I beat the Wobuffett immediately after, and I decided to clear out the rest of the gym. Only after that did I leave and put Rhonda torest, while also withdrawing Theresa. I then immediately went to face Tate and Liza, and boy... do I wish I hadn't done that just yet.
Vs. Tate and Liza said:
I lead with Corey and Luke (because of course it's a double battle), while they send out Xatu and Claydol. Logging this was a pain, so just bear with me as I give you the play-by-play.
Xatu moves first with Calm Mind, raising its Special stats. Claydol uses Earthquake, but fails to hit anyone but Corey. Luke hits off a Surf on both the enemies, and Corey hits a Knock Off on Xatu.
Xatu decides to setup Sunny Day, while Claydol Earthquakes again and leaves Corey in the red. I decide to take Claydol out at once, and with a combo of Luke's Surf and Corey's Crabhammer, we do so. Tate/Liza sends out Lunatone to replace it.

I heal Corey up (obviously) and try to Surf with Luke, but he gets confused by Xatu and hypnotized by Lunatone, so he's unable to move.
I then switch Luke out for Leticia, while both Xatu and Lunatone use Calm Mind. Corey hits Lunatone with a Crabhammer, but just barely doesn't take it down, and it heals itself with a Sitrus Berry.
Xatu gets a Confuse Ray off on Leticia, and Lunatone tries a Hypnosis but misses. On my side, Corey hits a Vicegrip on Xatu and Leticia hits herself.
Xatu then decides to use Psychic on Leticia, utterly obliterating her, sadly. I switch Tim in, realizing I gotta take Xatu out ASAP, and nothing else happens as both Lunatone and Corey miss Hypnosis and Crabhammer respectively.
Xatu uses Confuse Ray on Tim, and Lunatone hits him with Psychic. Thankfully, Lunatone then goes down to a Crabhammer, and Tim hits himself. Taza/Lite sends out their final Pokemon, Solrock.

I heal Tim, since he took quite a bit of damage from Lunatone's Psychic. However, Xatu tears him to shreds with a Psychic of its own. I swap Mary in, while Solrock charges a Solar Beam. Finally, finally, Corey takes Xatu down for good with a Crabhammer.
Preparing for Solar Beam, I switch Corey out for the still sleeping Luke, but Solrock actually targets Mary for whatever reason. Mary, in turn, reacts by setting up with Amnesia.
Solrock sets up Sunny Day, while Luke remains asleep and Mary hits it with a Rock Slide.
Solrock then hits a Psychic on Luke, who finally wakes up and hits a Surf while Mary misses her next Rock Slide.
I use Mary's turn to heal Luke up, to which Solrock reacts with another Psychic, and Luke hits it with a Surf leaving it hanging by a thread.
Late/Tiza heal Solrock up, and I do the same thing as last turn, leaving it one hit away from death.
Solrock hits one more Psychic, but thankfully Luke's Surf takes it down.
...wow. Holy shit, that was rough. I guess... I guess Leticia and Tim are... gone now. Right before we got Dive for the Water Stone, too... Tata and Lize give us the Mind Badge, and a TM for Calm Mind, but it's the hollowest of victories.

There's still a bunch of reserves in the box, but... I really don't want to replace anybody just yet, no. We see the hot criminals walking into the Space Center, and we follow them in only to discover they're trying to steal rocket fuel. I'm really not up for their bullshit right now, so when Evil Steven shows up and begrudgingly asks for my help to fight them, I oblige if only to get them out of my way. We get to choose 3 pokemon for this fight, so I leave Mary out of the battle.
Vs. Hot Criminal Organization Leader Maxie and Admin Tabitha said:
Another double battle, so again I'll give the play by play. I lead with Luke, Evil Steven sends out Metang, Tabitha sends Camerupt and Maxie chooses Mightyena.
I hit a Surf and immediately destroy Tabitha's Camerupt, so he sends out a Mightyena of his own. Maxie's Mightyena taunts Luke, and Metang uses Reflect.
Luke gets off another Surf, Maxie's Mightyena goes for Take Down on Metang, who sets up a Light Screen, and Tabitha's Mightyena gets a Scary Face off on Luke.
I swap into Theresa, and Maxie's Mightyena uses Swagger on Metang. It powers through Confusion, hitting a Metal Claw and taking out said Mightyena. Maxie sends his Camerupt, Theresa levels up and learns Slash, and Tabitha's Mightyena Swaggers Metang as well.
I switch to Corey due to the Camerupt, Metang snaps outta Confusion and tears Mighyena to shreds with a Metal Claw. Tabitha sends a Golbat, and Maxie's Camerupt uses Amnesia.
Golbat Bites Metang, who in turn flinches, and I annihilate Camerupt with a Crabhammer. Maxie tosses out his Crobat in response.
Crobat shoots a Confuse Ray at Metang, while Golbat Wing Attacks Corey. He, in turn, nearly kills Crobat with a crit Crabhammer, while Metang hits itself.
Crobat and Golbat hit each of us with a Wing Attack, and I proceed to hit a Crabhammer on Golbat while Metang finishes it with a Metal Claw.
I decide to switch to Luke, who's still at full health. Crobat hits Metang with a crit Wing Attack, but Metang tears it to shreds with its Metal Claw.
Yeah, they really screwed themselves over by Swaggering Metang twice at the same time. Anyway, apparently Team Land reconsiders their ideologies, just after releasing a magma demon into the world. Nice going. I drop by Evil Steven's house and steal HM08 Dive, since he won't give it up willingly, and teach it to Elena the Wailmer to go undersea spelunking. Lurking among the seaweed, we encounter a Chinchou at level 30 named Shawn under Route 124, as well as a Relicanth at level 31 named Ares below Route 126.

Okay, now it's about time to consider my options. After some deliberation, I slot Shawn onto the team, as well as Tina, the level 17 Barboach I caught a while back. It's time to grind some, and for Tina, I head to New Mauville. We spend some time here until Tina levels up to 30, evolving into Whiscash right then. I'm getting less experience than I'd wish for though, and fighting electric types won't work for Shawn, so I head to the Magma Hideout and grind up against the Torkoals and Gravelers there. Shawn evolves into Lanturn as soon as he levels up once, and with some patience I take the both of them into level 42.

I notice I'm missing an electric boosting item, so after a quick Bulbapedia search, I determine I have to go to the Trick House and solve a bunch of riddles to get the Magnet. I do so, and everyone else gets to level 42 from fighting the few trainers there. Magnet in hand, I head on over to the southern sea routes (ie: 128 to 132), and once I'm finished there everybody is level 44. I made a quick visit to Sootopolis, then head off to search for the Water Coalition, leaving Mary at the PC for Elena.

Eventually (here meaning "after looking up the location"), I entered the Seafloor Cavern, where some Water Coalition members were holed up. I beat all of them up, then proceeded into the deepest bowels of the cave. There I see Kyogre laying dormant, and Archie barges in and decides to fight me.
Vs. Water Coalition Democratically Elected Leader Archie said:
Archie starts off with his Mightyena, and I send out Theresa. Its Intimidate is enough to ensure Double Kick isn't an OHKO, but it uses Scary Face like a pansy. Archie heals, but a Super Potion isn't nearly enough to stop me from putting it down with another Double Kick, leveling Theresa up to 45. Invest in Lemonades, Archie.

His next pokemon is Crobat, so I swap into Shawn. It immediately uses Confuse Ray, making me hit myself right off the bat (ha ha, bat). It hits a Wing Attack, but Shawn's Spark paralyzes it. Archie heals with another Super Potion, and my next Spark nearly downs it. Next turn nothing happens, as I hit myself and it winds up fully paralyzed. Shawn thankfully snaps out of it, and destroys Crobat in one more Spark.

Archie's final 'mon is a Sharpedo, and I put Tina in. It hits a Slash while I set up an Amnesia, then hits me with Swagger next turn. Confusion doesn't quite work to its favor, however, and I annihilate it with a boosted Earthquake.
Despite having been handily defeated, Archie still awakens the slumbering beast with the Red Orb (again, color coordination, but whatever), then starts pouting when everything goes to plan and Kyogre makes it rain more. What did he expect, we may never know. Anyway, Maxie comes in and shows us that Groudon and Kyogre are fighting over the weather forecast, and the both of them come to realize that maybe messing with the natural order wasn't the best of ideas. Then Evil Steven shows up, and tells me NOT to go to Sootopolis, as that's NOT where Groudon and Kyogre are located. I, obviously, fly towards there as soon as he tells me that.

As I arrive, Groudon and Kyogre are duking it out in the middle of a lake. Somebody's at a disadvantadge here, and their name rhymes with Gordon. I retrieve Mary from the PC, then am beckoned by some guy named Wallace. He takes me to the Cave Of Origin, only to tell me to go to Sky Pillar instead. I saw it earlier while passing by the southern water routes, so I fly to Pacifidlog and head there. Wallace somehow got there first, and he tells me to go right on in. Why he can't do this, who knows.

At the top of Sky Pillar, I'm greeted with the sight of a majestic green serpent floating in the air. The legendary Rayquaza. I bow to him, and plead for him to help me on my quest to show Groudon and Kyogre true equality between fire and water. He takes a good look at my team, then decides to go bitchslap the two titans and tell them to shut the fuck up, he needs his beauty sleep. So that's that plotline resolved, I guess. Wallace awards me with HM07 Waterfall as a thank you, but warns that I have to beat the Sootopolis gym before using it. However, I think after all that's happened, we deserve a bit of a break. Next time, the finale!
Theresa the Combusken, level 45 (Gift from Route 101)
Luke the Pelipper, level 44 (Route 103)
Mary the Numel, level 44 (Route 112)
Corey the Crawdaunt, level 44 (Route 117)
Tina the Whiscash, level 44 (Route 111)
Shawn the Lanturn, level 44 (Route 124)

Graveyard:
Rhonda the Azumarill, level 4-41 (Route 104 - Mossdeep Gym)
Leticia the Lombre, level 4-41 (Route 102 - Mossdeep Gym)
Tim the Sealeo, level 26-41 (Shoal Cave - Mossdeep Gym)

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Finally, two months after starting, I'm done with Hoenn!
Upon taking out everyone in the Sootopolis gym, I decide to train just a bit more out in the wild, only going back in when Luke, Shawn and Tina are level 46 and everybody else is level 45. I've learned to not underestimate the gym leaders, clearly. Anyway, time to challenge absolute DILF Juan.
Vs. Juan said:
Juan's first Pokemon is a teeny little Luvdisc, to which I send out Luke. It strikes with a Water Pulse, but I get a critical hit on Shock Wave and eliminate it immediately.

Next comes Whiscash, and I keep Luke in for this. I hit it with an Ice Beam (I spruced Luke's moveset up with some TM moves, if you couldn't tell), but it doesn't do a lot of damage. Whiscash then sets up a Rain Dance, to the benefit of everyone. I decide to go for Surf, and actually knock it out.

Juan then sends out Sealeo, and now that the heavyhitters are out it's time to send out Shawn. Thunderbolt, fortunately, is an OHKO.

Out comes Juan's Crawdaunt (sensing a bit of a copycat pattern here), but Shawn OHKOs once more with a Thunderbolt. Easy so far, but I'm not letting my guard down.

Lastly, Juan sends out Kingdra, and I switch to Tina. This is a segment I like to call "Clair's Revenge". Remember when Clair's Kingdra went down relatively easy despite accurracy debuffs? Not the case here.
Kingdra starts off by Double Teaming, but despite that I hit it with a crit Earthquake and bring it to low yellow. Juan then predictably heals, so I use Amnesia, since Kingdra only has Special attacks. It hits me with Water Pulse, not doing a whole lot, and a regular Earthquake doesn't breach the half health mark. My next Earthquake misses, and I get hit with another Water Pulse. Kingdra hits an Ice Beam, I hit an Earthquake, then Juan heals again while I use Amnesia. He should be out of heals by now, so that's nice.
Kingdra then Double Teams again, but I still hit an Earthquake. It Ice Beams me twice, while I miss one Earthquake and hit another. The damage is piling up a bit at this point, so I heal with a Lemonade... and Kingdra Rests then wakes up with its Chesto Berry. It knows Rest. This could take a while.
I use a Future Sight, hoping to be able to kill before it can Rest again, then score two more Earthquakes while Kingdra spams Ice Beam. Future Sight then misses, so that's nice. Kingdra Rests, but remains asleep this time, and in the meantime I keep missing my attacks. By the time it wakes up, I've run out of Earthquakes, and Future Sight already has base accuracy below 100 so it misses even more often. What's worse, Kingdra immediately starts Double Teaming upon waking up.
I use another Amnesia, maxing out my Special Defense, and decide to stall for a bit. I keep trying to hit it with Future Sight and Surf, which is 4x resisted. After having to heal a couple times, I manage to force Kingdra into another rest, then switch to Luke. I begin to spam Shock Wave, which literally cannot miss, but the damage isn't the best and it's only a neutral hit. Eventually I run out of PP for that as well, and considering Luke can't really take many hits, I switch back to Tina.
At this point, Kingdra's evasion is maxed out, so I can barely hit it and don't even do that much damage when I do. Eventually, Tina runs out of PP for Surf too, and Future Sight has like 3 PP left, so I switch into Shawn. By this point, Kingdra's exhausted all its PP except for a few uses of Double Team, so it's just a matter of time. I still attempt to end the battle, and finally manage to nail a Thunderbolt on it right as it starts Struggling.
Well that was... a chore. Not very hard at all, just tedious. We get our hard-earned Rain Badge as well as a TM for Water Pulse (why they locked this to the last gym when you get Surf 3 whole gyms earlier I'll never know), and just like that we're allowed to go to the final stretch of the game.

I leave Tina at the PC, withdrawing Elena and teaching her Waterfall, then go straight down Route 128 towards Ever Grande City. Elena will still be necessary there, so I stop for a quick heal then wander right in. However, not long after entering, we come face to face with Wally, who's gotten himself an actual team this time and wants to challenge us! Let's do it.
Vs. Wally said:
He sends out Altaria, and while I sent out Corey, I immediately swap to Luke. He takes a Dragonbreath and gets paralyzed, then another one next turn, but one Ice Beam takes it down.

Then comes Magneton, and I switch into Mary. I have Earthquake, and Magneton don't have Levitate (for some reason? I mean it makes sense for them to have it), so it's an easy OHKO.

Wally then sends out Delcatty, and I switch to Theresa. Predictably enough, a Double Kick destroys it.

Wally chooses his ace next, a Gardevoir. I send out Corey, and I actually have no hard counter to this. I decide to Swords Dance twice, while Gardevoir Double Teams. Two Vicegrips are then enough to take it down (I gotta remember to replace that attack, it's not that good by now).

Lastly, Roselia. I switch Theresa back in, and a Blaze Kick annihilates it entirely.
Well, Wally... Frankly you sucked. But hey, I respect you. Keep it up, you'll catch up sometime.

Victory Road was really not too hard. The only highlights (ie: near death experiences) were the time a Cooltrainer blew his Lunatone up on Shawn (who luckily barely survived with his high HP), as well as the other Cooltrainer near the end carrying a Gardevoir and a Slaking who trashed half my team and nearly killed Theresa. Nobody died, however, so that's nice!

Now that we've made it out of Victory Road, we're at the entrance to the Pokemon League. There's no way we're going in there yet, since my whole team is like level 47 (compared to the champ's ace at level 58). Time for the SPEED GRINDING HOUR.

So yeah, I grinded up some, up until level 55. I also used up some TMs, including replacing Fly on Luke (meaning I had to travel by foot from the Move Deleter back to the League). Here's the usual team pic with final movesets and all, which I painstakingly edited just for you.

It's a bit wider than the last one, but I did what I was able to with Emerald's menus. Anyway, time to go in and finish this.

First off, Sidney, the dark type master. He's a pretty chill dude, and frankly we're way overleveled to fight him, but hey, we gotta.

He starts off with his Mightyena, and I send out Theresa to start. I use a Bulk Up to undo the attack drop from Intimidate, while Mightyena uses Sand Attack. I attempt a Double Kick but miss, while Mightyena keeps Sand Attacking. My next Double Kick, however, connects and succeeds in taking it down.

Next up comes Shiftry, and I swap to Mary. It begins with a Double Team (oh boy here we go again) and I miss an Eruption. Same thing next turn, except Eruption actually hits this time and completely wrecks Shiftry (...okay I guess we don't go again)

Sidney's next Pokemon is Crawdaunt, and I respond with Shawn. I decide to Thunder Wave it first, but it still manages a Swords Dance, however my next Thunderbolt fries it into mush.

Second to last is Cacturne, and I switch to Theresa again. I Bulk Up, and Cacturne attempts a Cotton Spore yet fails. I then use a Blaze Kick, and it burns away to nothingness.

Finally comes Absol, and with Theresa having Bulked Up once already, Double Kick doesn't even need to hit twice to kill.

Yeah that was predictably easy. Next up, Phoebe, for which I have no hard counters whatsoever. Still, my team is way stronger than hers and not particularly weak to ghosts, so I'd say I have the upper hand here still. Let's get to it.

Phoebe brings out her first Dusclops, and I send Tina. Dusclops Protects from my first Earthquake, but on the second turn I hit it for great damage. It decides to strike a Shadow Punch, but my next Earthquake deletes it from existence. It's worth noting that both Dusclops in this fight have Pressure as their ability, meaning that just took 6 PP from Earthquake.

Next on the cutting board is the first Banette. I hit it with an Earthquake and it responds with a Shadow Ball, not doing much damage. I, on the other hand, have done enough for Phoebe to decide to heal, at which point the round is already over since I'm faster. Two more Earthquakes (leaving the move at 1 PP) and Banette goes down.

Out comes Sableye, and I switch to Corey. My only offensive option here is Crabhammer, but it should be good enough. I hit it once, and Sableye uses Double Team. Luckily, despite its subpar accuracy, Crabhammer hits again and kills the bugger.

Phoebe sends her second Banette, to which I respond to with Mary. It hits a Shadow Ball on me, earning an useless Sp. Def drop snce Ghost is physical in this gen, while I wreck it with an Earthquake. It survives though, and in the next turn we both heal. The next two turns consist of a Shadow Ball / Earthquake faceoff, and Mary manages to just win on red health.

Lastly, the second Dusclops. I send Corey out and immediately try a Crabhammer, but miss and get hit with an Earthquake. Luckily it barely does a fifth of my HP, so I continue to use (and actually land) two Crabhammers and get hit with two Earthquakes. I heal just in case Crabhammer (which has 2 PP and is affected by Pressure) misses, while Dusclops eats its berry and Earthquakes me again. Thankfully, Crabhammer hits, and Dusclops is down.

Now that was a bit more challenging, though still not a pain to deal with. After using a couple Ethers for Crabhammer and Tina's Earthquake, we come to Glacia, master of Ice. Thankfully, this one I do have counters for, so let's go.

I lead with Theresa, thinking she'll begin with Glalie, but her lead is actually a Sealeo. No biggie, I just switch to Corey and Sealeo gets to set up Hail. I then use Brick Break twice, only getting hit with a Body Slam in return, and Sealeo falls.

After that, she sends another Sealeo. I make Corey stay in, and he hits a Brick Break before getting enamored by Sealeo's Attract. I don't want to deal with this, so I switch to Shawn... failing to realize he's male as well. Not that it matters, since Sealeo hits a Blizzard and FREEZES ME. Come on. Sealeo hits an Attract then, and harms itself with a couple Double Edges, all while Shawn is defenseless and trapped in a big ice cube. Eventually, Sealeo hurts itslef enough for Glacia to Full Restore it, so I decide to do that also.
However, despite trying, Shawn finds himself incapable of attacking Sealeo due to infatuation, and thus Sealeo gets a couple Double Edges off. Now, despite Sealeo being part Water Type, it doesn't actually have Water moves here, so I choose to switch to Theresa. She takes a Double Edge upon switching in, but she then outspeeds and hits a devastating Double Kick, causing Sealeo's demise.

Glacia then decides to send... her Walrein. She's intent on not letting Theresa be on the field, it seems. This one is packing Surf, so I switch to Corey again. I heal him, since he's a bit roughed up from the first Sealeo's attack, then get hit by an ineffective Surf. A critical hit with Brick Break nearly brings Walrein down altogether, but it lives, heals with its Sitrus Berry, and hits a pathetic Ice Beam. One more Brick Break, however, proves too much for it.

Only now does Glacia send her Glalie in, and you know what, I'm gonna go with Mary just for the hell of it. Glalie is faster and sets up Hail, but my Eruption melts it away rather obviously.

Finally comes a second Glalie, who manages to hit a pretty rough Ice Beam on Mary. Combined with the hail damage, this leaves Mary at around half health, but this proves irrelevant as she manages to destroy it in a single lower-powered Eruption anyway. Mary also levels up to 46 at this point, by the way.

That was... annoying, most of all, what with that Sealeo and all. Now it's time for the last of the E4, Lance... TWO! Okay no, his name is Drake, and he actually has more than one species of Dragon type Pokemon, could you imagine? Anyway, this might be tough, but Tina and Luke should be able to handle most of it with Ice Beam.

So Drake sends out his Shelgon, and I begin with Tina. It decides to Protect on its first turn (why is that a common strat? you're just delaying the unavoidable), but on the next it gets hit with a destructive Ice Beam which almost kills it, using Rock Tomb in response (the reason why I didn't lead with Luke). Drake then heals, but two more Ice Beams later, Shelgon is down.

Next up, Altaria. I've learned from the Fortree Incident, I won't let anything happen this time. I switch to Luke, and get hit with a crit Dragonbreath that takes me to half health. Not a great start, but my following Ice Beam nearly kills it outright and also freezes it. I take the chance to heal with a Full Restore, but Altaria defrosts immediately and paralyzes me again with a (fortunately non-crit) Dragonbreath. It hits me with another crit Dragonbreath, leaving me one hit away from death, but Luke manages an Ice Beam and destroys it. Whew.

Drake sends his ace Salamence, and I switch to Tina again. Its Dragon Claw does decent damage, but my Ice Beam nearly kills it outright. It heals with a Sitrus Berry, then hits another Dragon Claw leaving Tina in the red, but Ice Beam wrecks it.

His next pokemon is... Kingdra. Again. I switch to Corey, and it starts using Smokescreen while I use Swords Dance once. Then, I begin trying Return, and miss the first time but then hit and leave it on low yellow health. Drake heals it, and I miss another Return. The next one hits, but Kingdra decides to do a Dragon Dance. Shit, not this again. It Body Slams me and my Return misses, and it Dragon Dances again. Thankfully, my next Return hits, and Kingdra goes down before being able to pull off anything scary.

Lastly, Drake's Flygon. It has Earthquake, so it's Luke's turn. Obviously he needs a heal, which I oblige, but Flygon hits a Dragonbreath that paralyzes me once again. Great. Luke has to take two more Dragonbreaths before he manages to move and get an Ice Beam off, annihilating the last dragon.

Well that was pretty tough. Didn't help that I basically couldn't use half my team in fear of Earthquake, but hey. I have a feeling the champ may be a bit too much as we are now, but I have a secret plan. I still have a secret stash of 7 Rare Candies, so I use them to eleveate everyone to level 46, aside from Shawn and Luke who get to level 47. I have a feeling that both of them will come in handy.

Now then, as we advance toward the champion's chamber, we realize... It was Wallace all along! What a surprise! A strong trainer that comes outta nowhere but doesn't actually fight you when you meet him? How would I have ever guessed? The time has come for the final showdown. Water vs. Water, here we go!

Wallace leads with Wailord (who, sidenote, I had no idea wasn't water/flying until like a few days ago), so I lead with Shawn. I hit it with a Thunder Wave, but it does nothing to stop it from Double Edging at me. I then hit it with a Thunderbolt that nearly takes it out, but it lives, sets up Rain Dance, and gets Full Restored by Wallace. I respond to the heal by hitting a Confuse Ray on it. My next Thunderbolt leaves it in the red again, but it's somehow able to move and hits Shawn with a crit Double Edge which takes him to the red while somehow not killing the Wailord itself. I play it safe and heal (besides I'll need Shawn later), and Wailord kills itself for me with one more Double Edge.

Afterwards comes Gyarados, who much like Flygon carries Earthquake, and as such Luke is the safest option. It outspeeds me and uses Dragon Dance, while my Shock Wave doesn't quite KO. At this point I'm fearing the possibility of a DDance boosted Hyper Beam, but Gyarados decides to hit a Surf on me. Weird... Anyway, Shock Wave actually kills Gyarados this time.

Tentacruel is Wallace's next choice, so I send out Tina. It hits a Hydro Pump for some mean neutral damage, but Earthquake completely annihilates it in one single blow.

Next up is Ludicolo, so I switch to Luke again. I hit it with an Aerial Ace, doing less damage than I'd wish, and it retaliates with a Giga Drain which heals it a fair bit. Same thing happens the next turn, and Luke is doing pretty bad healthwise, so I heal. Ludicolo gets a Giga Drain crit, however, so I have to heal again. Then Ludicolo decides to do something completely bizzarre. It starts Double Teaming, which is literally useless since Aerial Ace never misses. Anyway, since it continues to do that, I kill it with two Aerial Aces.

We're getting close to the end now, and out comes Whiscash. I switch to Corey, and use Swords Dance while it pointlessly uses Amnesia (no whiscash, my crawdaunt doesn't carry any grass type attacks). I hit it with a Return, while it uses... Amnesia again. Wallace then heals, but two Returns take it down. Is... is Wallace throwing the match? Yeah I don't know.

He still has one more Pokemon, his ace, a majestic Milotic. I switch into Shawn, and hit it with a Thunder Wave off the bat. It hits a Toxic on me, which ain't good. I throw a Thunderbolt at it, which takes less than half its health, and it hits me with a Surf. At least he seems to be trying now. Toxic is building up by now, and I use a Full Restore mostly to get rid of that, while Milotic is paralyzed. I decide to hit it with Confuse Ray for maximum stall potential, and it hits itself. I hit one more Thunderbolt, expecting Wallace to heal afterwards, but it's actually a critical hit. Yup, that's it. Milotic is down. We've won.

Welp, that's it. All of Hoenn lays defeated at our feet, as we're crowned champion. Well, maybe not all of it, but we'll get back to that... later. Let's go have a look at the Hall of Fame.

Oh Shawn. One of the newest members of the team, you've shown your worth nontheless. In a region such as Hoenn, so water-heavy, you were likely to excel, and so you did. You were handy for taking Team Aqua on, made most of Juan's team a ton easier (including dealing the final blow to Kingdra), and helped out a ton for Wallace. That Confuse Ray/Thunder Wave combo would have been great had I noticed it earlier, but it was good for beating Milotic at its own game, so I'm happy with that. Coverage against Water types comes really handy in these runs, and I've wanted to use one of your kind since my Johto runthrough. Glad you could make it to the end this time, buddy.

Theresa... where to begin? My very first companion on this journey. Luckily for you, you weren't alone for long, unlike Ignatius and Larry, but that only means losing those friends must have hurt the most... Unfortunately, most of this region was stacked against you, but you still prevailed through all the hardships. You came in handy for the many Mightyenas from both evil teams, the Electric and Normal gyms, and you delivered a killer performance against Sidney as well as helping out for Glacia's annoying Sealeo. Ultimately your typing kinda screwed you over, but regardless, you've gone a long way with the rest of us. It's time for your well deserved break.

Well, Corey. A relatively new addition to the team as well, you were instrumental in taking on the lethal Mossdeep Gym, which I highly doubt we'd have survived without you. Otherwise, your Dark typing didn't really come into play all too much (curse you, gen 3 movepools), but you were still a very solid option with few weaknesses. Once you got Swords Dance and I gave you Return, you became a great mon for anything nobody could hit super effectively, like Drake's Kingdra. Brick Break also made you a good option for Sidney and especially Glacia, where Theresa wouldn't have been as effective. Overall, you were a great help, I just wish we'd been able to utilize your Dark typing more effectively.

Hehey, Mary! Remember when I said Theresa had the region stacked against her? Well, you kinda had that twofold. I couldn't let you in against a Water type, else you'd die instantly. However, when you could fight, you were extremely powerful. Really, Rock Slide, Earthquake AND Eruption? An absolute powerhouse, that's what you are. You managed to help out with Flannery, Tate and Liza during the final stretch, and Glacia's Glalies. Hoenn really isn't kind to Fire types, nevermind you with a 4x weakness, but you've really served us well regardless.

Luke. The second oldest member of the team, even counting deceased ones. Been here about as long as Theresa, and I gotta say you were kind of a staple of the team. You took on Brawly nearly singlehandedly, helped out tons against Tate and Liza, and became a sort of wild card in the final stretch of the game due to your augmented movepool. Shock Wave for Juan and Wallace and Ice Beam for Drake sure did their work. You've seen many Pokemon fall, opponents and allies alike, and even though your moves or stats weren't that great, you never let that stop you. You did good, buddy. Thanks for flying me around everywhere.

And of course, Tina. I can't even recall when I caught you, but you entered the team at the same time as Shawn, and after your training, you never let up again. Much like Mary, you learned Earthquake naturally, and I gave you Ice Beam, turning you into another powerhouse without sharing Mary's particular disadvantadge. You were the go-to option for powerful STAB neutral damage against opponents like Juan's Kingdra and Phoebe's ghosts, as well as a great dragonslayer along with Luke. I wish I hadn't taken you on so late, because you're definitely worth your salt.

Well, that's 3 regions down... We're almost halfway there, and still with, what, 8 months to spare? We're on good track. That isn't to say this'll be the last I'll ever do in Hoenn... but for now, stay tuned for when I tackle Pokemon Pearl!
Luke the Pelipper, level 57 (Route 103)
Shawn the Lanturn, level 57 (Route 124)
Theresa the Combusken, level 56 (Gift from Route 101)
Mary the Numel, level 56 (Route 112)
Corey the Crawdaunt, level 56 (Route 117)
Tina the Whiscash, level 56 (Route 111)

Graveyard:
Rhonda the Azumarill, level 4-41 (Route 104 - Mossdeep Gym)
Leticia the Lombre, level 4-41 (Route 102 - Mossdeep Gym)
Tim the Sealeo, level 26-41 (Shoal Cave - Mossdeep Gym)

Chess

birds can't hurt me these shades are gucci
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Team Omega
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
They/Them/She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Grass
Pokédex Entry
can be bribed with shiny objects and spices to do household repairs. utterly incapable of many things, but does them anyway
Nice! Good luck with pearl!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)