• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Happy new forum! We decided this was a golden opportunity for us to feature a fresh new imported run!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Video Let's Play General The year is 2006. Touhou goes with everything. Let's Play MegaMari

Jimcloud

Administrator
Administrator
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Pronouns
they/she
Oh, yeah. That one was pretty easy, by Mega Mari standards.

I guess I'll put my vote in for Cirno again, and since it sounds like Marisa needs a new weapon, her again.

Serranade

hot butter ice cream
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Ice, Cute
That stage looks a lot more annoying if you haven't done Reimu's stage yet and have to deal with all those yin-yang orbs instead of just noping your way past them.

Do Yuyuko's stage now that you've beaten her subordinate, and give her weapon to Alice.

Rhetco

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
frog/froggum/froggo
Pokémon Type
Cool, Tough
I forgot how basic Youmu's stage is.
Seconding Cirno's stage & marisa weapon

Agastya

応えよ深淵、我が力に!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
Water, Ice
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That stage looks a lot more annoying if you haven't done Reimu's stage yet and have to deal with all those yin-yang orbs instead of just noping your way past them.
It's not too bad. You just have to be a little more patient.

Considering how powerful Rolling Slash is, it's a very valid opening stage to pick casually.

I say this having played this game for over ten years, though.

I forgot how basic Youmu's stage is.
Strap in then, because...

=========================

Cirno's stage is, by Mega Man standards, really easy. Not by MegaMari standards - by Mega Man standards. Due to this it's a popular first stage pick due to the relative lack of mechanics to deal with and Cirno's own fraility, taking 2 damage from Stardust Missile and 1 damage from Spectrum Mystery.

Marisa's version of the weapon is the Ice Vulcan, and is what was acquired.

It rapid-fires ice shards in an angled spray.

Damage is respectable and ammo is generous. Overall, it's a safe and consistent weapon.

It's very Marisa.

Alice's version of the weapon is the White Rose Cluster.

The only weapon in the game that can be charged.

On use, a small ball of ice will form at Alice's fingers. Releasing the attack will fire this tiny ice ball, doing basically no damage.

Holding the attack will cause the ice ball to grow in size up to three times, and releasing the attack will launch the ice ball at whatever charge level it's at, before eventually being fired automatically.

At higher charge levels, the ice ball can pierce through enemies.

While charging, the ice ball has an active hitbox and can connect with enemies, so if an enemy hits it too soon, the attack will deal damage and disappear before charging. Similarly, once the ice ball can pierce through enemies, it can be held to tear through regular enemies and bosses weak to it alike.

It's very Alice.

Our remaining bosses are Sakuya, Remilia, and Yuyuko. They're all significantly more interesting than Cirno was.

Jimcloud

Administrator
Administrator
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Pronouns
they/she
Wow, yeah, that was. Uh. That was a little sad to be honest. You tried your best Cirno.

I'll echo Serra's earlier suggestion and say Yuyuko and give it to Alice.

Serranade

hot butter ice cream
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Ice, Cute
There's not really a lot to Cirno's stage I can say other than "it's really easy."

Going to echo my earlier suggestion of Yuyuko>Alice.

Agastya

応えよ深淵、我が力に!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
Water, Ice
Yuyuko's stage.. has a lot going on in it. Mechanically, it feels more like three or four tiny stages thrown together. Definitely on the more difficult end due to the eclectic mix-and-match nature of stage hazards.

Yuyuko herself is nothing to sneeze at either. Of the initial eight bosses, she's the tankiest - she doesn't take a full point of damage per hit from Stardust Missile, so you'll have cases where you'll land an attack but her health doesn't visually decrease. Combined with the wide variety of attacks at her disposal, this makes her a difficult foe to take down without using boss weaknesses.

Marisa's version of the weapon is the Butterfly Stream.

It fires a large amount of butterfly projectiles that spread outwards and upwards at an angle. Imagine Air Shooter, but good, and with tons of bullets, and butterflies instead of tornadoes.

Alice's version of the weapon is the Reincarnation Ghost, and is what was acquired.

It summons eight ghosts to orbit around Alice, similar to shield weapons, but without any actual shield properties.

Each ghost deals pretty good damage, but can only deal damage once.

If you really hate the screen you're on, you can use it again if you have less than eight active ghosts, maxing out at having sixteen ghosts active at once. This is as silly mechanically and visually as it sounds.

Our remaining bosses are Sakuya and Remilia.

Two of my favorite bosses near the end of the chain? Goodness me.

Stage deaths: 2 (one off screen because it's embarassing and I don't want to acknowledge it any further than that)
Total death count: 7

Jimcloud

Administrator
Administrator
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Pronouns
they/she
Oh wow, yeah, that was. That sure was a boss. Definitely. 100%.

I for one think that Alice could use a little bit more love after that Marisa-dominated stage, so how about we do Sakuya next and give the weapon to Alice.

Serranade

hot butter ice cream
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Ice, Cute
That tiny bed of spikes at the beginning of the Lily White room is so rude, I love it.

The disappearing block section isn't nearly as difficult as some of the disappearing block sections from Mega Man. Looking at you, Heat Man. Small mercies from Mega Mari, I guess.

Agastya

応えよ深淵、我が力に!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
Water, Ice
Marisa-dominated stage
That's what happens when Marisa has the primary wave clearing weapon in a heavy mobbing game, honestly. If things had went differently, we'd probably be seeing a lot more Alice instead.

That tiny bed of spikes at the beginning of the Lily White room is so rude, I love it.
I love spikes in this game. They're not actually solid objects, just damaging projectiles that don't move - if you land on spikes with invincibility frames, you'll phase right through them.
====================================================
Sakuya's stage is fairly straightforward. For a normal person, this will be your first introduction to Yoku Blocks in this game, and also the green destructable block walls I mentioned forever ago.

Sakuya herself is also a fairly straightforward boss who sacrifices the damage of individual bullets in order to generate tons of them. The hitboxes are fairly generous though - it's very easy to gently squeeze between some attack openings.

Marisa's version of the weapon is the Thousand Knives.

On use, time stops as the activation screen is slowly but surely filled with knives. After a set duration, time resumes and the knives take flight, annihilating everything on screen that doesn't resist it.

You only get four uses, so make them count!

Alice's version of the weapon is the Quicksilver, and is what was acquired.

Alice throws four knives in various outward-facing angles in front of her. Knives pierce and do plenty of damage to mooks - combined with its efficient ammo usage, it's among the best ranged options for clearing out trash mooks.

It faces stiff competition from Thousand Knives for a utility slot, but both weapons have enough perks that the choice between them is up to to the player.

Unless you're speedrunning. If so, Thousand Knives is mandatory.

Additionally, for acquiring four weapons, Alice has obtained the Slightly Awesome Shanghai Doll. This can be missed if Alice doesn't get a fourth weapon.

In addition to the Spectrum Mystery beam, it summons a Shanghai doll to seek out enemies and pelt them with short-range attacks until either the target dies, or you run out of weapon energy.

If it flies to the top of the screen, it despawns. Whoops.

Who gets Remilia's weapon?

Jimcloud

Administrator
Administrator
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Pronouns
they/she
Alice has 4 weapons (plus the alice only weapon) and Marisa has 3 (plus the marisa only "weapon"). Evenness is mandatory, give it to Marisa.

EDIT: Oh right and i almost forgot in my haste, it routinely stuns me how well this game manages to capture the Touhou feel in a game that is not Touhou. Like that boss fight just now is literally just a Touhou boss. That's just a Touhou boss!!!

Serranade

hot butter ice cream
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Ice, Cute
Meling fails to prevent Marisa from entering the Scarlet Devil Mansion. In other news, the Pope is Catholic.

That is a very strong chandelier to bounce a meteor off so casually.

If there is anything Sakuya's desperation attack shows off well, it's how small your hitbox really is. Check out how many of those knives were intersecting Marisa's sprite. I suppose it wouldn't be a Touhou-inspired game without tiny hitboxes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)