• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Eight of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode bids adieu to another story and welcomes in a new one. Protagonists also star in our discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Screenshot Kanto Written Log Commentary Other Adventure The Quest to Catch 'Em All - A Multi-Game Dexlocke

Thread Description
Updated 8/9 - Current Game: Blue - Part 2 - Kanto Marathon - Target Pokemon: - 3/3

Ionbird

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 11, 2020
The Quest to Catch 'Em All Season 1: Welcome to Kanto

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, Ionbird here. I've done quite a few Nuzlockes over the years but this is the first time I will record one here online. I'm mainly choosing to do a written log run and trying to take pictures of my 3DS since I don't have a capture card and don't do emulators. Please forgive me if the quality is a little off to you.

For this challenge, in addition to capturing the first encounter of each area for my team, I must also complete the Pokedex and capture every single Pokemon species in the Kanto region. I can't use any Pokemon that I capture outside my first encounters though, not even as HM slaves. I can only take Pokemon out of the PC if I have to trade and/or evolve them.

I've chosen to do a run in the Kanto region as this represents the very first generation of Pokemon and is also my first generation personally. I'm doing a Yellow run mainly because I haven't done a Nuzlocke on Yellow yet and Yellow is pretty much the definitive version of Gen I Pokemon.

1. Nuzlocke Encounters - The first Pokemon encountered on each route are the only Pokemon that I can add to my battle team or the reserves.

2. Pokedex Clause - If a Pokemon is not a part of the battle team or reserves, then it can only be used if I need to grind it so I can get the dex entry for its evolution. Such Pokemon can only ground up using Rare Candies, the Daycare, fighting wild Pokemon, or against the Elite Four should I have beaten them already with my battle team. Non-battle team/reserve mons cannot be used against NPC trainers, Gym Leaders, Legendaries, Pokemon that I need to capture, or the Elite Four should they have not been defeated already. I can only catch any Pokemon first encounter or other wise if my whole party has Pokemon from the battle team or reserves. In addition, only Pokemon from the battle team or reserves can be used as HM slaves. Non battle/reserve Pokemon cannot be used as death fodder either.

3. Nicknaming - I must nickname all the Pokemon that I am allowed to use. For this run I will be nicknaming these Pokemon after chemical elements.

4. Permadeath - If any of my Pokemon faint then they will be considered dead and must be released.

5. Dupes Clause - If the first encounter on a route belongs to the same evolutionary family as another Pokemon from my battle team or reserve then that encounter does not count and the next encounter can be used instead. If that Pokemon is a dupe as well, then I repeat the process until I find a Pokemon that is not a dupe and that will be considered my first encounter.

6. Level Limit - The Pokemon I am allowed to use must not exceed the level of the next bosses' highest level Pokemon.

7. Legendary Clause - A legendary can only be added to my battle team or the reserves for my team if it is the first encounter for the area. Should I fail to capture the legendary for any reason like losing my party or KOing the legendary, then I can soft reset to make more attempts to catch the legendary but the legendary cannot be added to my team and if the legendary I failed to capture was a first encounter, then I do not get another chance to add a Pokemon from that area to my battle team/reserves. If I failed to catch a Snorlax and there is only one left, that Snorlax will fall under the same rules as the legendary birds and Mewtwo.

8. Trading - Pokemon that cannot be obtained in this game such as Red/Blue exclusives or the fossil/Eevee evolutions I did not pick may be traded over from Red and Blue. When I play Red and Blue, they will be treated as mini-Dexlockes with the same rules as this run with the exception of level limits. In Red and Blue, level limits are removed so I can rush and capture the Pokemon I cannot get in Yellow.

9. Glitches - No use of glitches apart from the Mew glitch. The Mew glitch may only be used if I already had a valid first encounter for the route.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yellow: Part I - The Beginning

I open up my 3DS and start a new save file on Yellow. Oak starts off introducing me to the world of Pokemon as the professors usually do. I choose the Nuzlocke forum's username as my trainer name.

As I can't really think up of anything witty for my rival I just choose to call him "Blue"

I wake up in a small bedroom. I walk on over to the PC and take out a potion. Maybe this will come in handy.

I leave my house and after taking a brief stroll through Pallet Town. I take a few steps into Route 1 before Professor Oak stops me to warn about wild Pokemon attacks. He came too late and a Pikachu jumped out at us in the grass. He managed to catch it and I went back to Oak's Lab.

I ended up with Pikachu after Blue shoved me away from what was supposed to be my Eevee and I ended up with this:

Blue challenges me to a battle and sends out Eevee. Sounds simple enough right?

Right?

I wasted my time trying to Growl him for a bit and this happens. I have to start over now and go for a more offensive approach. Let's see how that goes, shall we?

Again?! Eevee's tougher than I thought. Even the first rival battle against a level 6 starter in BW2's Challenge mode never gave me this much trouble. Given how my Nuzlocke rules start at the beginning, guess this means I have to restart again. Third time's the charm?

Guess not. One more try. If I fail this, then I will have to make a new rule to start Nuzlocke mode when I get Pokeballs. Let's see if this one's up to the challenge.

I make one last attempt at beating Blue and his new Eevee. Mercury's got lower defense than Sodium did but I won't lose another Pikachu. I go for another offensive approach while making sure to heal when Mercury's health gets low. Will I win this time?

It's a success! Guess this means I won't have to reset anymore. Nuzlocke rules still apply immediately due to the success of this attempt so I won't be getting adding anything from Route 1 to my team. Now let's see what Route 22 will give me.

A male Nidoran! It's a good thing this guy learns Double Kick early in this version. From what I remember as a kid Brock gave me a horrible time in Yellow. Let's just make sure he stays alive until then! I deliberately avoid fighting Blue at this point as given my current team I would probably get flattened quickly. Instead I head off for Route 2 to look for my next encounter.

A Rattata! Early Hyper Fang could come in handy should I need it. I hastily venture into Viridian Forest looking for my next encounter. I should have gone prepared.

This Pidgey is very high leveled for a wild Pokemon in Viridian Forest and was much stronger than Nidoran so I had to swap in Pikachu. Considering Gust was Normal type in Gen I, Pidgey's STAB bonus plus Pikachu's low defense meant that this fight went south quick and I did not want to risk any casualties so I ran and willingly gave up my chance to add my Viridian Forest encounter to my team. I decided to add some more Pokemon to my Pokedex instead.

I put every single one of them in my PC. Considering they cannot be used for the challenge, they are not nicknamed. They do not count as dupes so I can still catch a Pidgey for instance despite having caught one for the dex.

I've got some grinding to do. Brock sounds like a daunting fight but hopefully Carbon's Double Kick will come in handy against his Rock types.

Mercury the Pikachu. Level 8
Moveset: Thundershock, Growl, Tail Whip, Thunder Wave

Carbon the Nidoran♂, Level 7
Moveset: Leer, Tackle

Boron the Rattata, Level 4
Moveset: Tackle, Tail Whip

None so far.

None so far! 😀

6/151

New Additions: Pidgey, Rattata, Spearow, Pikachu, Nidoran♂, Mankey

1. Bulbasaur
2. Ivysaur
3. Venusaur
4. Charmander
5. Charmeleon
6. Charizard
7. Squirtle
8. Wartortle
9. Blastoise
10. Caterpie
11. Metapod
12. Butterfree
13. Weedle
14. Kakuna
15. Beedrill
16. Pidgey
17. Pidgeotto
18. Pidgeot
19. Rattata
20. Raticate
21. Spearow
22. Fearow
23. Ekans
24. Arbok
25. Pikachu
26. Raichu
27. Sandshrew
28. Sandslash
29. Nidoran♀
30. Nidorina
31. Nidoqueen
32. Nidoran♂
33. Nidorino
34. Nidoking
35. Clefairy
36. Clefable
37. Vulpix
38. Ninetales
39. Jigglypuff
40. Wigglytuff
41. Zubat
42. Golbat
43. Oddish
44. Gloom
45. Vileplume
46. Paras
47. Parasect
48. Venonat
49. Venomoth
50. Diglett
51. Dugtrio
52. Meowth
53. Persian
54. Psyduck
55. Golduck
56. Mankey
57. Primeape
58. Growlithe
59. Arcanine
60. Poliwag
61. Poliwhirl
62. Poliwrath
63. Abra
64. Kadabra
65. Alakazam
66. Machop
67. Machoke
68. Machamp
69. Bellsprout
70. Weepinbell
71. Victreebel
72. Tentacool
73. Tentacruel
74. Geodude
75. Graveler
76. Golem
77. Ponyta
78. Rapidash
79. Slowpoke
80. Slowbro
81. Magnemite
82. Magneton
83. Farfetch'd
84. Doduo
85. Dodrio
86. Seel
87. Dewgong
88. Grimer
89. Muk
90. Shellder
91. Cloyster
92. Gastly
93. Haunter
94. Gengar
95. Onix
96. Drowzee
97. Hypno
98. Krabby
99. Kingler
100. Voltorb
101. Electrode
102. Exeggcute
103. Exeggutor
104. Cubone
105. Marowak
106. Hitmonlee
107. Hitmonchan
108. Lickitung
109. Koffing
110. Weezing
111. Rhyhorn
112. Rhydon
113. Chansey
114. Tangela
115. Kangaskhan
116. Horsea
117. Seadra
118. Goldeen
119. Seaking
120. Staryu
121. Starmie
122. Mr. Mime
123. Scyther
124. Jynx
125. Electabuzz
126. Magmar
127. Pinsir
128. Tauros
129. Magikarp
130. Gyarados
131. Lapras
132. Ditto
133. Eevee
134. Vaporeon
135. Jolteon
136. Flareon
137. Porygon
138. Omanyte
139. Omastar
140. Kabuto
141. Kabutops
142. Aerodactyl
143. Snorlax
144. Articuno
145. Zapdos
146. Moltres
147. Dratini
148. Dragonair
149. Dragonite
150. Mewtwo
151. Mew

Last edited:

Ionbird

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 11, 2020
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yellow: Part II - Pewter or Bust

Part 2 is up! I've been experimenting with how I should be formatting my run so the images might look a little different.

First new catch for the Dex. Wasn't too bad really. I grind up my team to level 9 and return to Route 22 to fight my rival again.

I wonder if I should have named him something stupid like Buttface or something.

Pikachu vs Spearow was a straightforward matchup. Two thundershocks was all it took.

Eevee took a few debuffs but was much easier than the first battle in Pallet. Boron took him out in a few hits. With Blue out of the way let's see how qualified I am to take on the Pokemon League.

I get stopped at the first gate naturally. I've got to get some badges. Off to Viridian Forest. I blew my encounter there but I still have some catches to do.

I also blew through the trainers as well. Viridian Forest was much more enjoyable than expected, especially since there are no Weedles wild or trained that can poison my Pokemon. I also fight a Pidgeotto as well but killed it for the experience mostly. I arrive in Pewter City after crushing the last trainer.

My first stop is the Pokemon Center. I listen to Jigglypuff for the heck of it. Also I like how different locations have their own color palettes. Makes the game look more lively IMO.

I manage to stay awake but Mercury stops following me. Also apologies for the inconsistent image size.

He/she's asleep! I wake him/her up and head off for my favorite stop.

I appreciate details like these. Makes the world feel more real. My first stop is the fossil exhibit.

I really like Aerodactyl. One helped me through my X Nuzlocke and even landed the final blow against Diantha's Mega Gardevoir despite not being allowed to Mega Evolve himself.

They both look daunting even when long dead. I like to headcanon the fossils of other Pokemon displayed here as well, especially Tyrantrum. A mounted skeleton of the Pokemon world's T. rex would be awesome. Onwards to the space exhibit.

I take a quick peek at the meteorite...

.... and a model of the Space Shuttle Columbia (R.I.P. to all who passed away on Columbia's final flight).

After some training I make my way to the Pewter City Gym. I skip the trainer battle as I feel my team has been trained enough.

A quick preview of my team just prior to fighting the first gym leader.

Gym Leader Brock... He was quite tough in Yellow when I was a kid. Let's see how I fare this time. I ain't got Confusion Butterfree but it's a good thing Nidoran gets Double Kick.

Easy 3HKO.

This might look a little crazy sending out a Pikachu against Onix but keep in mind Onix has low attack and this one has no ground moves. I use Mercury's Growl to lower Onix's attack even further.

The first Double Kick did little over a quarter of Onix's HP but Bide hit hard. I did some healing and softened up Onix's defense so the next Double Kick can finish off Onix instantly. 1 Badge and no deaths, so far so good.

Naturally, I proceeded to Route 3 to get my next catch but I have to fight through some trainers first.

Nidoran's Double Kick is just as handy against Rattatas as Geodudes. I make my way into the grass and catch my first encounter.

A Spearow! I did catch a Spearow earlier for the Dex but Pokemon caught just for the Dex do not trigger the Dupes clause, only the ones in my team or reserves. I could use a flying type on my team. When I train them, the early route birds tend to be cursed to me as most end up dying. Let's see how long he/she will last on my team.

Mercury
Carbon
Boron
Chlorine
Level: 13
Level: 15
Level: 12
Level: 9
Thundershock​
Leer​
Tackle​
Peck​
Growl​
Tackle​
Tail Whip​
Growl​
Quick Attack​
Horn Attack​
Quick Attack​
Leer​
Thunder Wave​
Double Kick​

None so far.

None so far! 😀

9/151

New additions: Caterpie, Metapod, Nidoran♀

1. Bulbasaur
2. Ivysaur
3. Venusaur
4. Charmander
5. Charmeleon
6. Charizard
7. Squirtle
8. Wartortle
9. Blastoise
10. Caterpie
11. Metapod

12. Butterfree
13. Weedle
14. Kakuna
15. Beedrill
16. Pidgey
17. Pidgeotto
18. Pidgeot
19. Rattata
20. Raticate
21. Spearow
22. Fearow
23. Ekans
24. Arbok
25. Pikachu
26. Raichu
27. Sandshrew
28. Sandslash
29. Nidoran♀
30. Nidorina
31. Nidoqueen
32. Nidoran♂
33. Nidorino
34. Nidoking
35. Clefairy
36. Clefable
37. Vulpix
38. Ninetales
39. Jigglypuff
40. Wigglytuff
41. Zubat
42. Golbat
43. Oddish
44. Gloom
45. Vileplume
46. Paras
47. Parasect
48. Venonat
49. Venomoth
50. Diglett
51. Dugtrio
52. Meowth
53. Persian
54. Psyduck
55. Golduck
56. Mankey
57. Primeape
58. Growlithe
59. Arcanine
60. Poliwag
61. Poliwhirl
62. Poliwrath
63. Abra
64. Kadabra
65. Alakazam
66. Machop
67. Machoke
68. Machamp
69. Bellsprout
70. Weepinbell
71. Victreebel
72. Tentacool
73. Tentacruel
74. Geodude
75. Graveler
76. Golem
77. Ponyta
78. Rapidash
79. Slowpoke
80. Slowbro
81. Magnemite
82. Magneton
83. Farfetch'd
84. Doduo
85. Dodrio
86. Seel
87. Dewgong
88. Grimer
89. Muk
90. Shellder
91. Cloyster
92. Gastly
93. Haunter
94. Gengar
95. Onix
96. Drowzee
97. Hypno
98. Krabby
99. Kingler
100. Voltorb
101. Electrode
102. Exeggcute
103. Exeggutor
104. Cubone
105. Marowak
106. Hitmonlee
107. Hitmonchan
108. Lickitung
109. Koffing
110. Weezing
111. Rhyhorn
112. Rhydon
113. Chansey
114. Tangela
115. Kangaskhan
116. Horsea
117. Seadra
118. Goldeen
119. Seaking
120. Staryu
121. Starmie
122. Mr. Mime
123. Scyther
124. Jynx
125. Electabuzz
126. Magmar
127. Pinsir
128. Tauros
129. Magikarp
130. Gyarados
131. Lapras
132. Ditto
133. Eevee
134. Vaporeon
135. Jolteon
136. Flareon
137. Porygon
138. Omanyte
139. Omastar
140. Kabuto
141. Kabutops
142. Aerodactyl
143. Snorlax
144. Articuno
145. Zapdos
146. Moltres
147. Dratini
148. Dragonair
149. Dragonite
150. Mewtwo
151. Mew

Last edited:

Gloria

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 1, 2020
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
I've played with the idea of trying to complete the entire Pokedex (or even make a living dex) in the past but I always get demotivated the sheer amount of effort it would require. ^^;;

This is a really cool idea though, since it combines completing the dex while also providing an extra challenge thanks to the Nuzlocke rules!

Your team is looking really solid so far as well. Good luck tackling Mt. Moon and be careful of the murderous Raticate!!

Ionbird

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 11, 2020
Yellow: Part III - We Need To Beat Misty

Part 3 is up! Took a little while to get this update up since I had to edit so many photos.

I've played with the idea of trying to complete the entire Pokedex (or even make a living dex) in the past but I always get demotivated the sheer amount of effort it would require. ^^;;

This is a really cool idea though, since it combines completing the dex while also providing an extra challenge thanks to the Nuzlocke rules!

Your team is looking really solid so far as well. Good luck tackling Mt. Moon and be careful of the murderous Raticate!!
Thank you! I've completed a living Dex once before. It was on Fire Red. I had all the GBA and Gamecube games so I could add in the Johto and Hoenn Pokemon including Lugia and Ho-oh. I managed to get Mew from an event and Celebi from a trade for a Milotic. I'd like to complete a Living Dex again with Pokemon from subsequent generations. I'm thinking I might start the living Dex with Crystal because I can breed in that game.

I got the idea of a Catch em All Nuzlocke from previous runs as well as being unable to decide from doing Nuzlockes or completing the Pokedex so I'm going to do both at the same time.

As for the Raticate, I've elaborated on it in the update.

I open up by wandering into the grass and catching a Sandshrew in the grass. One down, 141 to go!

I start to challenge the trainers on Route 3. This Jigglypuff was a little troublesome but Carbon's Double Kick is just as effective against Normal types as it is against Brock's rocks.

As I make my way to Mount Moon, I realize I've forgotten to pick up the Town Map! It's a little bit useful for checking the area I'm in as the Gen I games do not indicate whenever I go from route to route. I make my way back to Pallet Town and make a new catch now that I'm strong enough.

After arriving in Pallet Town, I meet up with Blue's much nicer sister to collect the town map and return back to Route 3.

RIght before arriving at Mount Moon, I make a quick pit stop in the Pokemon Center. I don't buy the Magikarp. Although I could have used one for my Route 4 encounter I've trained Gyarados several times in Gen I already and I could just catch a Magikarp with an old rod later.

With my business in the Pokemon Center done, I take my first steps into Mount Moon.

I take a couple steps to find my first encounter which turned out to be a Geodude! Pretty handy for walling normal types and taking on the Flying types that might be too strong for Mercury. I nicknamed it Silicon as silicon is one of the most common elements in Earth's crust.

I also catch a Zubat to fill out the Pokedex.

To the southwestern end of the cave I find a TM for Water Gun. A Water Gun TM might look like an odd choice to implement but it does have some use.

I can grind with Normal types such as Boron the Rattata a lot faster since I don't have to switch out against Geodudes. Even a Pokemon with low special can do tons of damage to Geodude. Boron's Water Gun hits even harder than even Carbon's Double Kick!

Eventually, I run into a Clefairy and add it to my Pokedex. I also catch an extra for a trade later.

After a bit of grinding, my Carbon is now a Nidorino. I'll hold off on Nidoking for now as Nidoking is weak to Misty.

I've also unboxed my Metapod to grind so I can register Butterfree for the Pokedex.

After evolving Metapod, I challenge the trainers in Mount Moon. Voltorb's sprite looks so cool. Also, I appreciate having a strong counter to Grass types.

Team Rocket has been acting up in this cave, and I stumble upon a familiar face.

In Red and Blue, this grunt is notorious for having a level 16 Raticate that can inflict tremendous damage with Hyper Fang. In nuzlockes, the Raticate can be a huge threat having killed my starter in a Blue run. Let's see what he's got in Yellow.

Two Pokemon? Maybe this indicates his team wouldn't be so overleveled. Let's just see what he sends out.

A level 13 Rattata? Looks like the grunt got a downgrade in Yellow. I doubt it even has Hyper Fang considering Rattata gets it at Lv. 14. I take down that Rattata easy enough and the grunt sends out his next and last Pokemon.

A Zubat? Strange. A Rock Throw takes care of the job. Fun fact, in Fire Red and Leaf Green, that same Rocket grunt has a Rattata and a Sandshrew.

As I make my way to the final stretch of the cave I find two fossils and a man blocking my way.

I fight him. He's tough, but my Pokemon pull through. Boron's newly acquired Hyper Fang did some heavy lifting.

Out the two fossils presented, I choose the Helix fossil. Twitch Plays Pokemon memes aside, I feel that Omanyte would be easier to train than Kabuto.

Just as I am about to exit Mount Moon, Team Rocket reveals they are not done with me yet and two even more familiar Rocket members ambush me.

I always knew Yellow was based on the anime but seeing Jessie and James in the game surprised me when I was a kid. Still hard to believe I can fight them in the main series games.

I send out Pikachu to fight Ekans. Thundershock was a 3HKO but these guys seem to be tougher than they look.

The next Pokemon Jessie and James send out is Meowth. It sounds tempting to solo them with Pikachu as Ash does in the anime but Meowth here might know Bite and a STAB Bite might be too much for Mercury's low defenses. I send out Silicon instead. Despite the low HP Silicon can hold off Meowth just fine.

Boron took down James' Koffing the exact same was Super Nerd's Koffing was taken down, with an all out offense using Hyper Fang.

With Jessie and James taken care of, the last of Team Rocket is purged from Mount Moon. Jessie and James even "blast off" but they leave by their own free will rather than get sent into the sky.

I finally exit Mount Moon. A new area, a new addition for my team.

As I stand over the ledge, I think to myself. Once I jump over this ledge, there's no going back. At least not until I get through Diglett's cave and brave the nearly level 30 Dugtrio.

Having jumped the ledge, the western edge of Kanto is now inaccessible. Note: Pikachu hates being trapped above the ledge. He spins, dances, and jumps like crazy. Anyways, on to my next battle catch.

A Mankey! I'm going to call it Fluorine as the chemical fluorine is one of the most violently reactive elements just like Mankey.

Cerulean City!

I head off into a house not far from the Pokemon center. I'm surprised all the Pokemon in that house have their own overworld sprites. Oddish, Sandshrew, and Bulbasaur are represented here perfectly.

I check with the girl to see if I could have the Bulbasaur. I've used plenty of items on Pikachu and he gets happier each time. This works even if the items will not have any effect. I'm able to claim the Bulbasaur on my first try. I've named the Bulbasaur Oxygen as plants give off Oxygen.

I've added Oxygen to my active team and evolved it soon after. As Mercury is too frail, Oxygen is my go-to Pokemon for Misty.

With my team prepared, I head off to Nugget Bridge. Blue is the first person to challenge me.

Electric > Flying. Fury Attack did a lot for only two hits though.

Vine Whip did tremendous damage considering Sandshrew's low Special.

Rattata's Hyper Fang did more damage than I was comfortable with so I swapped out for Geodude who handled Rattata quickly.

Silicon walls Eevee, so the last stage of the fight was straightforward.

With Blue taken care of, I move on to the rest of the Nugget bridge trainers. This pretty much sums up my fight against all of them including the Rocket grunt.

I meet a trainer unable to raise his Charmander on Route 24. I accept the Charmander myself and get my Route 24 encounter for free. I named my Charmander Phosphorus due to the flammability of certain forms. I've boxed Phosphorus though as I don't think I need a fire type right now.

I take a short walk east and catch my Route 25 encounter. I forgot to take a picture of Pidgey with the nickname but I've given it the name Francium due to the guaranteed encounter in Kalos.

After my battle catch, I catch a few more Pokemon for the dex entries..

.. and evolve Boron into a Raticate!

I've flattened most of the trainers in Routes 24 and 25 but left the ones essential for the Mew glitch unfought. I want to register Mew for the game's Pokedex. When I start a living dex though, I will add the old mythicals I've had before as I progress through the generations for completion's sake. I enter Bill's house and find out he's fused to a Pokemon. Even Mercury's shocked.

I use the cell separator to restore Bill and he gives me the SS Ticket in return. My job in the northern routes complete I make preparations for Misty.

With a decently trained Ivysaur, I'm confident I'll be able to handle Misty.

Here goes nothing.

Staryu was pretty easy. Starmie took several hits but this was still a simple fight.

With Misty dealt with I train Chlorine for a while until I end up with a Fearow.

Now that I'm at Route 5, It's time for me to catch the first encounter.

An Abra! Quite a useful Pokemon in almost every Pokemon game, especially Gen 1. I've named my Abra SIlver after the spoons its evolutions hold. With a teleporter in hand, I can also activate the Mew glitch.

The first step is to teleport away from a trainer that tries to challenge me. This can be done by walking into a trainer that will try to challenge you the moment they show up on screen if they are a straight line away.

I then have to fight a Pokemon with the proper Special stat, like the Slowpoke belonging to a certain youngster who got to attend a party on the SS Anne. I underestimated Slowpoke's confusion attack, so I had Boron finish off the Slowpoke.

When I return to Route 24, the menu suddenly pops up. Closing it immediately starts a battle with Mew.

It took a while, but the Mew was eventually caught. Since I already acquired a Charmander on this route, Mew cannot join the team or reserves and will just be used for the dex.

To Be Continued!

Mercury
Carbon
Boron
Chlorine
Silicon
Oxygen
Level: 19
Level: 19
Level: 20
Level: 18

Thundershock​
Leer​
Hyper Fang​
Peck​
Tackle​
Tackle​
Double Team​
Poison Sting​
Tail Whip​
Growl​
Defense Curl​
Growl​
Quick Attack​
Horn Attack​
Quick Attack​
Leer​
Rock Throw​
Leech Seed​
Thunder Wave​
Double Kick​
Water Gun​
Fury Attack​
Vine Whip​

Fluorine the
, Phosphorus
the
, Francium
the
, Silver
the

None so far! 😀

27/151

New additions: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Charmander, Butterfree, Pidgeotto, Raticate, Fearow, Sandshrew, Nidorino, Clefairy, Zubat, Oddish, Paras, Venonat, Mankey, Abra, Bellsprout, Geodude, Mew

1. Bulbasaur
2. Ivysaur

3. Venusaur
4. Charmander
5. Charmeleon
6. Charizard
7. Squirtle
8. Wartortle
9. Blastoise
10. Caterpie
11. Metapod
12. Butterfree

13. Weedle
14. Kakuna
15. Beedrill
16. Pidgey
17. Pidgeotto

18. Pidgeot
19. Rattata
20. Raticate
21. Spearow
22. Fearow

23. Ekans
24. Arbok
25. Pikachu
26. Raichu
27. Sandshrew
28. Sandslash
29. Nidoran♀
30. Nidorina
31. Nidoqueen
32. Nidoran♂
33. Nidorino

34. Nidoking
35. Clefairy
36. Clefable
37. Vulpix
38. Ninetales
39. Jigglypuff
40. Wigglytuff
41. Zubat
42. Golbat
43. Oddish
44. Gloom
45. Vileplume
46. Paras
47. Parasect
48. Venonat
49. Venomoth
50. Diglett
51. Dugtrio
52. Meowth
53. Persian
54. Psyduck
55. Golduck
56. Mankey
57. Primeape
58. Growlithe
59. Arcanine
60. Poliwag
61. Poliwhirl
62. Poliwrath
63. Abra
64. Kadabra
65. Alakazam
66. Machop
67. Machoke
68. Machamp
69. Bellsprout
70. Weepinbell
71. Victreebel
72. Tentacool
73. Tentacruel
74. Geodude
75. Graveler
76. Golem
77. Ponyta
78. Rapidash
79. Slowpoke
80. Slowbro
81. Magnemite
82. Magneton
83. Farfetch'd
84. Doduo
85. Dodrio
86. Seel
87. Dewgong
88. Grimer
89. Muk
90. Shellder
91. Cloyster
92. Gastly
93. Haunter
94. Gengar
95. Onix
96. Drowzee
97. Hypno
98. Krabby
99. Kingler
100. Voltorb
101. Electrode
102. Exeggcute
103. Exeggutor
104. Cubone
105. Marowak
106. Hitmonlee
107. Hitmonchan
108. Lickitung
109. Koffing
110. Weezing
111. Rhyhorn
112. Rhydon
113. Chansey
114. Tangela
115. Kangaskhan
116. Horsea
117. Seadra
118. Goldeen
119. Seaking
120. Staryu
121. Starmie
122. Mr. Mime
123. Scyther
124. Jynx
125. Electabuzz
126. Magmar
127. Pinsir
128. Tauros
129. Magikarp
130. Gyarados
131. Lapras
132. Ditto
133. Eevee
134. Vaporeon
135. Jolteon
136. Flareon
137. Porygon
138. Omanyte
139. Omastar
140. Kabuto
141. Kabutops
142. Aerodactyl
143. Snorlax
144. Articuno
145. Zapdos
146. Moltres
147. Dratini
148. Dragonair
149. Dragonite
150. Mewtwo
151. Mew

Last edited:

Second

A Yu-Gi-Oh! Protagonist but in Real Life
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
They / Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon has a tendency to start many projects as they come to mind, but they tend to only finish projects other people have made deadlines for.
i always appreciate the mew glitch being used in a real run, it's pretty cool to see. even if you arent using the mew

using a nuzlocke to also finish the kanto dex is a pretty cool idea! im going to have fun seeing how that goes for you; seems to be going pretty well right now! keep it up!

Ionbird

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 11, 2020
Yellow: Part IV - The S.S. Anne

It took a while but I'm back on track. Honestly after college work and the quarantine and getting hooked on Minecraft I didn't have much time or motivation to play much Pokemon but now I'm back on track.

i always appreciate the mew glitch being used in a real run, it's pretty cool to see. even if you arent using the mew

using a nuzlocke to also finish the kanto dex is a pretty cool idea! im going to have fun seeing how that goes for you; seems to be going pretty well right now! keep it up!
Thanks. The Mew glitch was always fun to use. It felt so unreal at first to discover a way to actually obtain Mew. It sounds a bit like those SS Anne truck rumors.

I'm interested in filling up the Pokedex with Nuzlockes because I really like to have an excuse to interact with (almost) all of the Pokemon in each generation. Eventually I hope to have every single non-Mythical Pokemon in a living dex from my Nuzlockes. I've made a living dex once before back in Fire Red. It had all the Pokemon from the first three generations excluding Jirachi and Deoxys but including Mew and Celebi. I got the Mew in a Toys R' Us event and a Celebi from a girl at the Toys R' Us in exchange for a Milotic. I also completed the National Dex in White 2 with even every single mythical registered through legit means but did not make a living dex.

I have taken most of these photos back in February but there a couple I have taken more recently.

Since I have beaten Misty, I decided to evolve Carbon right away. I carried through with this since he will not learn any more decent moves by level up. I've always refrained from evolving Nidos to their final form before Misty because they become weak to water once they evolve. In my Leaf Green Wedlocke, I did not evolve my Nidorina who was partnered with the Beedrill I used to take out Misty. If I did then Nidoqueen would have been extra vulnerable to Starmie's water attacks should Beedrill fall and I did not want to take any chances considering I got no grass types on my team and Charmander was my starter. Fortunately Beedrill's Twineedle was more than enough to take out Starmie.

28 down, 123 to go!

I return to Route 5 and decide to check out the Saffron gate. First thing I see is a guard who immediately talks to me.

The guards are thirsty and they decide to close the gates off because of it? That always bothered me ever since I was a kid.

My only way to Vermilion for now is the Underground Path. It's not too bad considering good stuff is often hidden there. Recently I found an X Special entirely on accident.

I emerge on Route 6 and try to find my catch for the route. Because of dupes clause the only valid Pokemon I can add to my reserves is Jigglypuff and I could not find one so I left the route for now. I had the same problem with Route 11 and Drowzee as well.

I fought my way through several trainers. Although I did not remember exactly how that battle went I did not use Mercury against a Weepinbel considering he probably would have struggled to scratch it.

Vermilion City here I come! I always loved the music for that place. So cheerful and energetic. I healed up my Pokemon and got an Old Rod. I didn't catch anything just yet though.

A police officer has just captured a Squirtle that was causing some trouble. She wouldn't give it away yet though. Seems I need to beat the local gym to get it. I'll go pick up the Squirtle when I have the chance as Blastoise is a pretty solid Pokemon with good bulk and offensive prowess and few weaknesses. I might not use Squirtle but it's always nice to have one in reserve. As Pokemon Yellow is based upon the anime it seems that this Squirtle is a reference to Ash's.

My next destination is the Pokemon Fan Club. The moment I enter the building Mercury spots a Clefairy and is infatuated by it. I have not made a written story or a comic as I'm not confident in plotting and characterization one thing I headcanon about the Pokemon world I'm traveling in is that most humans including the protagonist I'm playing as cannot talk to Pokemon. While Pokemon are sentient as seen in the Island of Giant Pokemon episode of the anime I probably won't be having the protagonist hold conversations with most of them. Maybe someone else can talk to them. In my own world Pokemon generally sound like naturalistic creatures or machines in the case of inorganic species such as Porygon or Magnezone. A couple can talk while another select few will have the anime style cries (Pikachu in general come to mind). They still have human qualities such as love and such which can be understood mainly through expressions.

I talk with the fan club chairman afterwards. He says he's got at least 100 Pokemon on his hand. He has no idea about my own quest. After listening to him gushing about his Rapidash he gives away a bike voucher since he does not need a bike himself. He says his Fearow transport him instead. Thanks!

I walk on over to Cerulean City. On the way I finally find a Jigglypuff and catch it since it is my first non dupe encounter. I give it the nickname Helium since Jigglypuff is supposed to be like a balloon and add it to the reserves.

Once I arrive at Cerulean I enter the bike shop and present my voucher. Easiest million Pokedollar purchase ever.

I return to Vermilion City and enter Route 11. I skip Diglett's Cave for the time being as there is the possibility of losing team members to an overleveled Dugtrio. Because of Dupes Clause the only Pokemon I can catch is Drowzee. I failed to find a Drowzee for the time being and so I return to Vermilion.

My next destination is the SS Anne. What I like most about the SS Anne is the music and the Body Slam TM.

Fun fact: The SS Anne harbor has a different encounter table than Vermilion City proper at least in Yellow version. With the Super Rod, it's possible to catch Staryu in the harbor but not the main city and it's also possible to catch Horsea in Vermilion proper but not in the harbor. This is why I will consider it a separate area. Considering I will not have access to the harbor once I get Cut my only option is to use an Old Rod and fish for a Magikarp. Note the encounter text is different for fished up Pokemon in Gen I.

I whittle down Magikarp's health and catch it with a Pokeball. I add Magikarp to my reserves and call it Uranium after the little atom that can help produce massive explosions.

I tried to see if Mercury would have a bucket on his head since Pikachu can have a bucket over their heads after fishing in Yellow. I talk to Mercury but I see no bucket.

Mercury has a close brush with death during one of the battles. Thankfully Chlorine stepped in and Mercury is now in good spirits.

He looks familiar. Is it possible?

I chat around with people and stumble upon a chef who is preparing a certain dish. Just what is that made from anyway?

Somebody also brings up Snorlax. I am fond of Snorlax and enjoy making headcanons about them.

Speaking of Snorlax somebody else also talks about them and I even get Snorlax registered in the Pokedex as seen despite not having battled one yet.

A move that I obviously never use in Nuzlockes. I wonder if anyone has deliberately used a move like this in a Nuzlocke run. I suppose it's possible as a last resort or just for the fun of it.

Even with Gen I graphics the deck of the SS Anne still looks beautiful. I just really like how water is rendered in old Gameboy games.

100 Pokemon? I wonder if this was a hint of there being even less Pokemon than even the original 151 introduced in Red/Green? Maybe this was put in the game to hint that since there were less Pokemon discovered, more new Pokemon will be revealed since the discovery of new Pokemon species is an ongoing process.

I took a couple month long break having not fought the rival and gradually began playing Pokemon again after finishing my university work for a semester. First thing I do is leave the SS Anne and expand my dex entries. I decide to unbox Phosphorous for now so I can train and evolve it.

I then contemplate traveling through Diglett's Cave to open up the early game routes and possibly trade for a Mr. Mime for the dex entry. I think about what Pokemon I can use for getting past Dugtrio and decide upon Gyarados due to its higher Special Attack in Gen I allowing it to fire off high powered Bubblebeams and immunity to Dig. Although Magikarp takes a while to level up and evolve I actually really enjoy the experience. Evolving early game Magikarp was a habit I picked up relatively recently on the Gen I virtual console games. It takes a while but Gyarados is such a powerhouse and one of my favorite Pokemon that the experience. I even let Magikarp fight on their own occasionally although this being a Nuzlocke I only let Uranium fight as a Magikarp only once.

I give Route 11 another shot and look for a Drowzee. Due to the relative lack of diversity in Gen I routes the Dupes Clause often leads to me searching for a single Pokemon or even skipping routes entirely since they're all dupes. Eventually I find a Drowzee. I decide to name it Selenium considering how Drowzee seems to be somewhat nocturnal and Selenium comes from the name of the Greek moon goddess. Since Selenium is my first non dupe encounter for Route 11 I add the Pokemon to my reserves. I also got a new phone as this explains why the images are a bit off as I haven't gotten the ropes of taking pictures of the 3DS screen with my phone yet. From what I've experienced so far the phone performs much better than my aging iPad and I have an easier time uploading on the go.

This is my progress as of the latest update. I record the game and update as I post so I still have not beaten my rival on the SS Anne nor have I faced Lt. Surge yet. I'm back on track though and so I should be posting more updates soon.

To Be Continued!

Mercury
Carbon
Uranium
Chlorine
Silicon
Oxygen
Level: 22
Level: 23
Level: 21
Level: 24

Thundershock​
Leer​
Splash​
Peck​
Tackle​
Tackle​
Double Team​
Thrash​
Tackle​
Growl​
Defense Curl​
Growl​
Quick Attack​
Horn Attack​
Bite​
Leer​
Rock Throw​
Leech Seed​
Thunder Wave​
Double Kick​
Bubblebeam​
Fury Attack​
Dig​
Vine Whip​

Boron the
, Fluorine the
, Phosphorus the
, Francium the
, Silver the
, Helium the
, Selenium the

None so far! 😀

33/151

New additions: Charmeleon, Nidoking, Jigglypuff, Drowzee, Magikarp, Gyarados

1. Bulbasaur
2. Ivysaur

3. Venusaur
4. Charmander
5. Charmeleon

6. Charizard
7. Squirtle
8. Wartortle
9. Blastoise
10. Caterpie
11. Metapod
12. Butterfree

13. Weedle
14. Kakuna
15. Beedrill
16. Pidgey
17. Pidgeotto

18. Pidgeot
19. Rattata
20. Raticate
21. Spearow
22. Fearow

23. Ekans
24. Arbok
25. Pikachu
26. Raichu
27. Sandshrew
28. Sandslash
29. Nidoran♀
30. Nidorina
31. Nidoqueen
32. Nidoran♂
33. Nidorino
34. Nidoking
35. Clefairy

36. Clefable
37. Vulpix
38. Ninetales
39. Jigglypuff
40. Wigglytuff
41. Zubat
42. Golbat
43. Oddish
44. Gloom
45. Vileplume
46. Paras
47. Parasect
48. Venonat
49. Venomoth
50. Diglett
51. Dugtrio
52. Meowth
53. Persian
54. Psyduck
55. Golduck
56. Mankey
57. Primeape
58. Growlithe
59. Arcanine
60. Poliwag
61. Poliwhirl
62. Poliwrath
63. Abra
64. Kadabra
65. Alakazam
66. Machop
67. Machoke
68. Machamp
69. Bellsprout
70. Weepinbell
71. Victreebel
72. Tentacool
73. Tentacruel
74. Geodude
75. Graveler
76. Golem
77. Ponyta
78. Rapidash
79. Slowpoke
80. Slowbro
81. Magnemite
82. Magneton
83. Farfetch'd
84. Doduo
85. Dodrio
86. Seel
87. Dewgong
88. Grimer
89. Muk
90. Shellder
91. Cloyster
92. Gastly
93. Haunter
94. Gengar
95. Onix
96. Drowzee
97. Hypno
98. Krabby
99. Kingler
100. Voltorb
101. Electrode
102. Exeggcute
103. Exeggutor
104. Cubone
105. Marowak
106. Hitmonlee
107. Hitmonchan
108. Lickitung
109. Koffing
110. Weezing
111. Rhyhorn
112. Rhydon
113. Chansey
114. Tangela
115. Kangaskhan
116. Horsea
117. Seadra
118. Goldeen
119. Seaking
120. Staryu
121. Starmie
122. Mr. Mime
123. Scyther
124. Jynx
125. Electabuzz
126. Magmar
127. Pinsir
128. Tauros
129. Magikarp
130. Gyarados

131. Lapras
132. Ditto
133. Eevee
134. Vaporeon
135. Jolteon
136. Flareon
137. Porygon
138. Omanyte
139. Omastar
140. Kabuto
141. Kabutops
142. Aerodactyl
143. Snorlax
144. Articuno
145. Zapdos
146. Moltres
147. Dratini
148. Dragonair
149. Dragonite
150. Mewtwo
151. Mew

Last edited:

Ionbird

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 11, 2020
Yellow: Part V - The Lightning American

This is my second update since coming back. In here I wrap up my stay in Vermilion and expand my Pokedex a little more. I've tried to edit the pictures with my phone rather than photoshop but the angles are proving to be a little tricky. Either I end up with little black lines at the end of the screen or the orientation of my photos themselves are a little off. I need a means of precisely capturing images of the 3DS screen. My formatting is still in the experimental stage so some feedback or constructive criticism would be appreciated.

Having made my capture on Route 11, I return to the SS Anne for some unfinished business.

I explore the remaining rooms and fight any remaining trainers such as this guy.

He was no problem at all. Due to water resistance, capability to learn electric moves, and a high Special stat (Special Attack and Special Defense were defined by a single stat in Gen I) Uranium might make an even better counter to Water types than Mercury. With Silicon also covering flying types this may render Mercury redundant. I still want to keep Mercury on my team. He (she?) can be a mascot. Plus I want to keep Mercury alive until at least Fuschia City so I can play the surfing minigame that has been made available on 3DS without needing Stadium.

After taking care of the regular trainers I head for the hallway on the top floor and bump into my rival once again. He claims to have captured over 40 different kinds of Pokemon which is actually quite impressive. Don't know how he does it unless he's either trading, skipping ahead, or doing the Professor Oak challenge. I doubt it's the last one though as his team is not evolved or overleveled at all.

It's a quick and easy fight overall especially since his team as I just mentioned is not evolved. I use Silicon's type advantages against Spearow and Rattata, Uranium's type advantage against Sandshrew, and sheer power against Eevee.

My rival tells me about the ship captain and how he help me teach my Pokemon how to cut. He then tells me to "smell ya later".

I meet up with the seasick captain and treat his illness in return for a new HM. Quick and easy.

I leave the SS Anne and soon after it sets sail. I listen to the surfing theme for the first time in the run as the ship takes off for some faraway region. I still find it interesting that the SS Anne would have it's own encounter tables when fishing.

Now that I have the Cut HM I think I should challenge Surge soon. I'm a bit underleveled but I believe Silicon can handle him. Not many of my benched Pokemon would make a good cut slave so I decide to go to Diglett's Cave since I have not caught my encounter there yet. Also Diglett can learn Cut in Yellow but not Red/Green or Blue.

I've added Uranium to my team in preparation of any Dugtrio I might encounter here. Thankfully my first encounter was a Diglett. I use Oxygen to Leech Seed and Chlorine to Growl stall until I catch it.

I call my new Diglett Nickel since Nickel is one of the elements the Earth's core is made out of. I also teach Nickel Cut so I can get to the third gym.

Nickel makes short work of the small tree blocking off Lt. Surge's gym and now I make my third gym challenge.

I fight the trainers first. Silicon can comfortably OHKO all the trainer's Pokemon but Voltorb's Sonicbooms can do quite a bit of damage. As Sonicboom deals an even 20 HP of damage each turn Silicon's typing and defense does not blunt the attack at all.

In the process of fighting the trainers Silicon evolves into a Graveler adding another entry to the Pokedex.

After dealing with the trainers, I focus on the puzzle next. It took a few tries but it wasn't too bad. I looked for the first switch row by row, and the second switch was nearby.

Lt. Surge was next. I remember he gave me trouble when I was a kid. I tried to fight him with my Pikachu just like Ash did but Raichu quickly knocked him out with a Mega Kick. Anyways Lt. Surge feels a bit different in Yellow as he's much more brash and arrogant. He appears to be based on his anime counterpart here including the lineup.

Onto the battle itself. It was pretty easy. First turn Lt. Surge opened up with X Speed while I had Silicon use Dig. Second turn Raichu's Mega Punch missed and Dig was an OHKO.

Having earned the Thunder Badge, I decided to fill up my Pokedex a little. My first stop was to trade for a Mr. Mime. Unlike other versions I had to trade a Clefairy rather than an Abra. Being a Pokedex only Pokemon I box him (her?).

My other task is to talk to the police officer (Jenny?) and receive my very own Squirtle. I like how in Yellow the entire starter trio is obtainable. Since Squirtle is my first encounter in Vermilion City proper I nickname him (her?) Calcium and add a new member to the reserves box.

I go talk to one of Oak's aides in the Route 11 gate. He will only give me an itemfinder if I have gotten 30 different kinds of Pokemon. I happily take the itemfinder noting that this is one of the few Nuzlockes where I get to do so.

I see a Snorlax blocking the route. Considering how powerful the Pokemon on the other side can be perhaps this is for the better.

I also backtrack back through Diglett's Cave to pick up the Flash HM. Gotta make the Rock Tunnel segment a little easier.

I then realize to myself that if Oxygen dies for whatever reason I will not be able to get Venusaur without trading. So I decide to put Oxygen back on the reserves and unbox Silver the Abra. I first leveled up Silver with switch training before allowing him (her?) to beat wild Pokemon with Seismic Toss. Soon enough I ended up with a Kadabra.

Having gotten my Kadabra I decided now would be a good time to evolve both Silver and Silicon to their final forms.

I also found a Moon Stone in the area. I failed to find another Clefairy to evolve so I decided to evolve my female Nidoran instead. I've already leveled her up a little at the time this was taken.

I chose to grind here so I can fight Grass types such as Bellsprout and Oddish for easy EXP. I also went back to Route 4 so Nidoran could Double Kick the Rattata.

Soon enough, Nidoran evolves. While most of the Yellow sprites follow the anime style, Nidorina is an exception. I find Nidorina's Yellow sprite to be closer to the Red/Green/Blue style than most of the other Yellow sprites.

Since Nidorina is only for the Dex I evolve her immediately.

To spend some time I decide to evolve my Zubat next.

I trained Zubat on Route 24 just like I did with the female Nidoran. It wasn't as hard as it looked. Since Bug is good against Poison in Gen I Leech Life can hit the Oddishes and Bellsprouts for 4x damage or 80 base power. Zubat also gets health back which saved a lot of potions and Pokemon center trips. Zubat also has a double resistance to Grass. To show how effective Zubat is, he (she?) can solo the Oddishes even at Level 9!

Eventually Zubat grows strong enough to beat the Pidgeys and Venonats 1 on 1. Zubat evolves not long after that. I'm going to miss that Golbat once I put him (her?) in the PC.

I'm going to wrap this up with a team shot.

To be continued!

Mercury
Carbon
Uranium
Chlorine
Silicon
Silver
Level: 25
Level: 26
Level: 17

Thundershock​
Leer​
Splash​
Peck​
Tackle​
Teleport​
Double Team​
Thrash​
Tackle​
Growl​
Defense Curl​
Seismic Toss​
Quick Attack​
Horn Attack​
Bite​
Leer​
Rock Throw​
Confusion​
Thunder Wave​
Double Kick​
Bubblebeam​
Fury Attack​
Dig​

Boron the
, Fluorine the
, Phosphorus the
, Francium the
, Oxygen the
, Helium the
, Selenium the

None so far! 😀

43/151

New additions: Squirtle, Nidorina, Nidoqueen, Golbat, Diglett, Kadabra, Alakazam, Graveler, Golem, Mr. Mime

1. Bulbasaur
2. Ivysaur

3. Venusaur
4. Charmander
5. Charmeleon

6. Charizard
7. Squirtle
8. Wartortle
9. Blastoise
10. Caterpie
11. Metapod
12. Butterfree

13. Weedle
14. Kakuna
15. Beedrill
16. Pidgey
17. Pidgeotto

18. Pidgeot
19. Rattata
20. Raticate
21. Spearow
22. Fearow

23. Ekans
24. Arbok
25. Pikachu
26. Raichu
27. Sandshrew
28. Sandslash
29. Nidoran♀
30. Nidorina
31. Nidoqueen
32. Nidoran♂
33. Nidorino
34. Nidoking
35. Clefairy

36. Clefable
37. Vulpix
38. Ninetales
39. Jigglypuff
40. Wigglytuff
41. Zubat
42. Golbat
43. Oddish

44. Gloom
45. Vileplume
46. Paras
47. Parasect
48. Venonat
49. Venomoth
50. Diglett
51. Dugtrio
52. Meowth
53. Persian
54. Psyduck
55. Golduck
56. Mankey
57. Primeape
58. Growlithe
59. Arcanine
60. Poliwag
61. Poliwhirl
62. Poliwrath
63. Abra
64. Kadabra
65. Alakazam

66. Machop
67. Machoke
68. Machamp
69. Bellsprout
70. Weepinbell
71. Victreebel
72. Tentacool
73. Tentacruel
74. Geodude
75. Graveler
76. Golem

77. Ponyta
78. Rapidash
79. Slowpoke
80. Slowbro
81. Magnemite
82. Magneton
83. Farfetch'd
84. Doduo
85. Dodrio
86. Seel
87. Dewgong
88. Grimer
89. Muk
90. Shellder
91. Cloyster
92. Gastly
93. Haunter
94. Gengar
95. Onix
96. Drowzee
97. Hypno
98. Krabby
99. Kingler
100. Voltorb
101. Electrode
102. Exeggcute
103. Exeggutor
104. Cubone
105. Marowak
106. Hitmonlee
107. Hitmonchan
108. Lickitung
109. Koffing
110. Weezing
111. Rhyhorn
112. Rhydon
113. Chansey
114. Tangela
115. Kangaskhan
116. Horsea
117. Seadra
118. Goldeen
119. Seaking
120. Staryu
121. Starmie
122. Mr. Mime
123. Scyther
124. Jynx
125. Electabuzz
126. Magmar
127. Pinsir
128. Tauros
129. Magikarp
130. Gyarados

131. Lapras
132. Ditto
133. Eevee
134. Vaporeon
135. Jolteon
136. Flareon
137. Porygon
138. Omanyte
139. Omastar
140. Kabuto
141. Kabutops
142. Aerodactyl
143. Snorlax
144. Articuno
145. Zapdos
146. Moltres
147. Dratini
148. Dragonair
149. Dragonite
150. Mewtwo
151. Mew

Last edited:

Tailsimp

A Universally Under-Rested University Imp
🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
Filling the entire a dex while also completing a nuzlocke seems tough! It's always a joke how quick us nuzlockers betray the promise of filling up the dex in favor of our one mon per route rule, so its really cool to see you bringing it back in. Congrats on getting 43 already. Good luck in completing this run!!!

Empty Sun

that's right, buttholes
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pokémon Type
Normal, ???
Pokédex Entry
It might eat you. It might your relatives.
gen 1 diglett is a funny little boy

the photos of the gameplay are actually kinda charming

Ionbird

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 11, 2020
Yellow: Part VI - Rocky Road

My 3DS XL has gotten soaked a little while back. While the battery is completely intact, the top screen seems to have gotten wet quite a bit. I did get to do some progress before my 3DS got wet. I have a New 3DS with Pokemon Red and Blue reinstalled so I guess I'll go play some Red while I wait for the 3DS XL to dry out. I'll still stick with this topic though. I've always planned on adding multiple games to this challenge.

The rules are generally the same as described in the intro but I think I'll go with a level limit after all. The main objective is to capture as much Pokemon as I can that are unobtainable in Yellow but I might go for the Elite Four if I feel like it. I'll aim for the lowest stage forms of all the Pokemon families that I can with the exception of Eevee's evolved forms. The nicknaming theme for the Red run will be the names of Minecraft Youtubers who play on the Hermitcraft server.

0/9

13. Weedle
23. Ekans
26. Raichu
107. Hitmonchan
109. Koffing
124. Jynx
125. Electabuzz
135. Jolteon
140. Kabuto

Filling the entire a dex while also completing a nuzlocke seems tough! It's always a joke how quick us nuzlockers betray the promise of filling up the dex in favor of our one mon per route rule, so its really cool to see you bringing it back in. Congrats on getting 43 already. Good luck in completing this run!!!
Thanks. I find it to be quite fun to get a chance to interact with almost every single species of Pokemon which is why I wanted to combine this with a Nuzlocke challenge.

gen 1 diglett is a funny little boy

the photos of the gameplay are actually kinda charming
Thanks. I like the 8 bit style as Gen I is my first generation.

In Yellow Nidoqueen just looks like she wants a hug.
Now that I see it, looks like she does.

The next step for my quest takes me to Route 9. Nickel easily chops down the tree.

I decided to train up Silver for my team. I had little trouble dealing with the local trainers.

During my Route 9 training session I encounter a certain youngster with a powerful Sandshrew. Note that Silver has grown three levels in a short amount of time.

Considering that the Sandshrew knows some powerful attacks such as Slash and even Fissure running something as frail as an Alakazam is a big risk. A critical hit confusion takes it out in one hit. In hindsight though, the Sandshrew was not as dangerous as it seemed. Even a critical Slash would not OHKO and Fissure would not work since OHKO moves cannot hit faster Pokemon in Gen I.

Turns out that this youngster is actually AJ from the Pokemon anime. In the anime, AJ was a boy who was planning on making a 100 win streak and had a Sandshrew as his ace. He challenged Ash for his 99th battle and won.

New encounter time! I evolved a Nidoran female earlier but since that was for the dex this encounter is not a dupe.

I named her Polonium both because it's an element discovered by a woman (Marie Curie) and it happens to be extremely toxic just like Nidoran.

According to my map, this area is a new route and thus a new encounter for my team.

I don't have any screenshots of the battle scene but I encountered a Magnemite. I caught it and gave it the nickname Iron because alongside it's evolution it's the only Gen I Pokemon to be reclassified as a Steel type barring alternate forms.

I'm short on spare Flash users so I decide to teach the move to Iron right away.

Soon after that, I make my way into Rock Tunnel. Although I can see the walls I decide to use Flash anyway just so I can see trainers and everything else.

Encounter time!

Knowing the sheer strength of the Machop line I went for a name that fit them most.

I fought my through Rock Tunnel, clobbering trainers along the way without incident. I did get a new Pokemon for the dex though.

I always like it when I get to land low accuracy moves even if this particular one is not necessary.

Another fine addition for my collection.

Eventually I make my way out of Rock Tunnel. I decide to head directly for Lavender Town instead of fighting all the trainers.

Once I arrive at Lavender Town I decide to heal up my Pokemon. Also appreciate the lavender color theme.

I pay a visit to the always eerie Pokemon Tower. None of my Pokemon died in this run yet though.

Look who's here.

He opens up with Fearow which can hit pretty hard. A lucky crit mitigated the risk though.

Easy pickings.

Vulpix vs Gyarados. Take a guess how this one goes.

Simple as that.

While Uranium does not have a type advantage over Eevee, sheer stat difference more than makes up for that. Also another crit. Yay Gen I crit mechanics!

Overall not that bad. I noticed that just like Raticate in Red/Blue, the Rattata is also missing from Blue's party. I do not buy into the dead Raticate/Rattata theory though. As he said on the SS Anne, Blue has caught over 40 Pokemon already. It's most likely Rattata was boxed.

As ghosts block the way I just leave the tower with him. No reason to do anything else here.

Route 8! Unfortunately, I cannot add anything to my team here as all the wild Pokemon here are dupes.

With nothing to do on Route 8 I take a short trip through the Underground Path. I emerge at Route 7. Seeing as how Route 7 is also nothing but dupes I head for Celadon instead.

I go for the Coin Case first. I heard that the only way to get Porygon in Gen I is through the Game Corner but since it costs 9,999 coins it's going to be quite the grind.

I remember in my Leaf Green Nuzlocke run I got very lucky with the slots and purchased a Dratini as my Celadon encounter from winnings that were only earned from the slot machines and collected from the gamblers. In this game I collected about a couple hundred coins before I eventually quit as my winnings started to decline.

I decided to go for Eevee as the Celadon encounter and traveled to the top of Celadon hotel for that purpose.

I collected the Eevee and gave it the nickname Radium because Eevee is sensitive to the radiation from evolution stones.

Speaking of evolution stones I took a trip to the huge department store to purchase a Fire Stone. I wanted Flareon because fire types are hard to come by in Gen 1.

I think Fly is one of the better moves in the game honestly despite the extra turn for charge time. It provides some great STAB for flying types in Gen I and in Yellow gives another attacking option for Charizard. Plus the ability to backtrack to any town I've already visited instantly is an awesome timesaver. I immediately taught the move to Chlorine.

While on Route 16 I finally get a new encounter. Doduo would make a great back up flying type.

I chose the name Hydrogen because hydrogen particles usually have 2 major subatomic particles just as Doduo has 2 heads.

Trying out Fly just because.

I decided to add Phosphorus to my party. I know training starters is risky but I think Charizard would make a nice mixed sweeper in Yellow especially since it can now get Fly (Charizard cannot learn Fly before Yellow). I decided to also teach Chlorine Swift just because I hate it when Pidgeys use Sand Attack. Taking good phone shots in a car is tricky as there are plenty of reflections and light messing with my view.

On a high note, Mercury now has Thunderbolt! On a low note, my 3DS XL has gotten wet after this and now I have to wait for the water to clear before I can post screenshots from Yellow again.

On the bright side, I still have another 3DS with Red and Blue. I'll go take advantage of this forced break to catch the Pokemon that I cannot get in Yellow. I'll still be posting updates in this thread though so don't assume I'm done with this run just yet.

To be continued!

Mercury

Phosphorus

Uranium

Chlorine

Silicon

Silver
Level: 27
Level: 27
Thunderbolt​
Mega Punch​
Dragon Rage​
Peck​
Tackle​
Teleport​
Double Team​
Growl​
Tackle​
Growl​
Defense Curl​
Seismic Toss​
Quick Attack​
Ember​
Bite​
Mirror Move​
Rock Throw​
Confusion​
Thunder Wave​
Leer​
Bubblebeam​
Swift​
Dig​
Disable​

Boron the
, Fluorine the
, Carbon the
, Francium the
, Oxygen the
, Helium the
, Selenium the
, Polonium the
, Iron the
, Titanium the
, Radium the
, Hydrogen the

None so far! 😀

49/151

New additions: Machop, Magnemite, Doduo, Onix, Eevee, Flareon

1. Bulbasaur
2. Ivysaur

3. Venusaur
4. Charmander
5. Charmeleon

6. Charizard
7. Squirtle
8. Wartortle
9. Blastoise
10. Caterpie
11. Metapod
12. Butterfree

13. Weedle
14. Kakuna
15. Beedrill
16. Pidgey
17. Pidgeotto

18. Pidgeot
19. Rattata
20. Raticate
21. Spearow
22. Fearow

23. Ekans
24. Arbok
25. Pikachu
26. Raichu
27. Sandshrew
28. Sandslash
29. Nidoran♀
30. Nidorina
31. Nidoqueen
32. Nidoran♂
33. Nidorino
34. Nidoking
35. Clefairy

36. Clefable
37. Vulpix
38. Ninetales
39. Jigglypuff
40. Wigglytuff
41. Zubat
42. Golbat
43. Oddish

44. Gloom
45. Vileplume
46. Paras
47. Parasect
48. Venonat
49. Venomoth
50. Diglett
51. Dugtrio
52. Meowth
53. Persian
54. Psyduck
55. Golduck
56. Mankey
57. Primeape
58. Growlithe
59. Arcanine
60. Poliwag
61. Poliwhirl
62. Poliwrath
63. Abra
64. Kadabra
65. Alakazam
66. Machop

67. Machoke
68. Machamp
69. Bellsprout
70. Weepinbell
71. Victreebel
72. Tentacool
73. Tentacruel
74. Geodude
75. Graveler
76. Golem

77. Ponyta
78. Rapidash
79. Slowpoke
80. Slowbro
81. Magnemite
82. Magneton
83. Farfetch'd
84. Doduo
85. Dodrio
86. Seel
87. Dewgong
88. Grimer
89. Muk
90. Shellder
91. Cloyster
92. Gastly
93. Haunter
94. Gengar
95. Onix
96. Drowzee

97. Hypno
98. Krabby
99. Kingler
100. Voltorb
101. Electrode
102. Exeggcute
103. Exeggutor
104. Cubone
105. Marowak
106. Hitmonlee
107. Hitmonchan
108. Lickitung
109. Koffing
110. Weezing
111. Rhyhorn
112. Rhydon
113. Chansey
114. Tangela
115. Kangaskhan
116. Horsea
117. Seadra
118. Goldeen
119. Seaking
120. Staryu
121. Starmie
122. Mr. Mime
123. Scyther
124. Jynx
125. Electabuzz
126. Magmar
127. Pinsir
128. Tauros
129. Magikarp
130. Gyarados

131. Lapras
132. Ditto
133. Eevee
134. Vaporeon
135. Jolteon
136. Flareon
137. Porygon
138. Omanyte
139. Omastar
140. Kabuto
141. Kabutops
142. Aerodactyl
143. Snorlax
144. Articuno
145. Zapdos
146. Moltres
147. Dratini
148. Dragonair
149. Dragonite
150. Mewtwo
151. Mew

Last edited:

Time Master Eon

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
shame that Yellow has to be put on hold, but hey you were gonna have to get exclusives at some point anyway *shrug*

Empty Sun

that's right, buttholes
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pokémon Type
Normal, ???
Pokédex Entry
machop letting out all the sounds in his soul

Ionbird

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 11, 2020
Red: Part 1 - Back to Basics

I got Red version started. I should be playing at a somewhat faster pace. Hopefully updating too. It takes a while to do posts though. In Red I currently logged one hour and forty minutes of playtime.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
shame that Yellow has to be put on hold, but hey you were gonna have to get exclusives at some point anyway *shrug*
I know right? My 3DS XL screen is almost completely dried out but I'm still going to continue looking for version exclusives.

machop letting out all the sounds in his soul
I can only imagine what he's going to say. If only I can understand Pokemon like N.

I reintroduce myself to Oak only this time everything's in black and white. The monochrome looks decent but I kind of wish Red and Blue on the 3DS had their Gameboy Color palettes. These would have felt a bit more nostalgic.

After letting out a Nidorino he asks me for my name. I can understand Red and Ash being on the default name list but why Jack?

Naturally, I go with Ionbird once again.

For my rival's name since my nicknaming theme is Minecraft Youtubers I'm going to choose a game that has been seen as one of Minecraft's competitors. Fortnite wouldn't fit so I decided to go with Roblox instead. Nothing against either of those games, just thought the name would fit.

Fresh new world here we come!

That could come in handy. Crucial for the first battle with Roblox.

At least we don't get jumped by a wild Pokemon this time.

I decided to choose Bulbasaur as it's a solid choice against the first 3 gyms and it can't be poisoned by Weedles either.

I named this Bulbasaur after Generikb, the man who founded the Hermitcraft server and therefore the first member.

Naturally, Roblox chooses Charmander.

Battle time!

I try lowering the Charmander's attack with Growl. The Charmander lowers Generikb's attack as well and gets in a few critical hits.

Eventually, despite using a potion the Charmander comes out on top and I have to restart.

Second attempt! I name this Bulbasaur Xisumavoid after one of the most senior members of Hermitcraft and the current admin.

I forgot my potion this time though and he died as well. I went for an all out offense where I used nothing but Tackle.

When I reset I forgot to realize that I saved next to the starter Poke Balls without taking out my potion. Things could get ugly. Anyway I name my next Bulbasaur Keralis after another senior member of Hermitcraft. The battle starts off well with Scratch actually missing due to the 1/256 glitch.

I get another hint of luck when Charmander's Growl suddenly fails.

I finally take down the Charmander after a couple more Tackles. Just barely lived with 2 HP. I swear this is the second time I struggled with the Gen I rival battle in a row.

Oof.

Keralis's stats

I check out Route 1 with Keralis in tow. Considering how I foolishly began my Nuzlocke at the beginning rather than upon getting my first Poke Balls, I miss out on this Rattata and a Route 1 encounter in general.

My health is down low but at least I gained another level. Man starters grow quickly.

I rest up at home and take out the potion I forgot when I reset after losing Generikb.

After my pit stop at home I take a trip into Viridian City. I don't do much there other than walking straight to the market.

Upon entering the market, I pick up a package for Professor Oak. Oak's Parcel was a big part of my earliest memories playing Pokemon. I gave myself the random name "Blandor" and I got stuck with the parcel as I had no idea what to do with it. I even tried tossing it but the game said it was too important to toss.

A free potion is always a steal in the early game.

Got the parcel delivered with no trouble. Turns out it's a custom Poke Ball that Oak ordered. Could this be the GS Ball? I get a Pokedex in return. I probably won't fill this one.

I like how I get a town map from Roblox's sister even after he told her not to give me one.

I like buying Poke Balls in groups of ten. It's a habit I developed while playing the GBA Pokemon games.

I never even realized that potions cannot be bought pre-Pewter until recently.

Now that I have Poke Balls, I enter Route 22 so I can get a catch for my team. I hold off on fighting Roblox for now as he's very strong compared to someone who just entered Viridian. I wonder if the developers intended for players to struggle with or lose to him.

Oh. That's nice. Early Hyper Fang FTW.

I lost one Poke Ball but I managed to get the catch. I used Leech Seed to avoid possible critical hits.

I named this one Biffa. Biffa is another early Hermitcraft member who's name is similar to the Japanese name of fellow early game rodent Bidoof or Bippa.

I'm doing this run rather quickly. I ignore the houses in Viridian and head straight for Route 2 for my next encounter.

A Pidgey. Pretty common but could be decent in a pinch.

Pretty easy overall. No broken Poke Balls this time.

I named this one Bdubs after BDouble0100. Shame I couldn't use numbers as nicknames. Funny enough I found out that Bdubs is also a nickname for Buffalo Wild Wings so this name is even more fitting.

My first target Pokemon for Yellow! Found this one just a couple steps after Bdubs on Route 2.

Bulbasaur cannot be poisoned so it's an optimal choice for fighting or weakening Weedles. I caught this one without too much trouble.

Not being my first encounter, this Weedle was not nicknamed or used. I prefer to trade over version exclusives in their lowest forms so I can get all the dex entries of an evolutionary family with as little trades as possible. Hence grinding Pokedex mons in this game is not necessary and they all go in their special space in Box 12.

Welcome to Viridian Forest. Pretty nostalgic if I do say so myself.

First encounter. Would have prefered a Weedle for having extra moves but oh well. Kakuna Rattata.

Kakuna has a lowered catch rate but I manage to get it anyway.

I chose the name Jessassin because Beedrill seems to have an assassin look and Jessassin is currently inactive on Hermitcraft.

My first trainer battle. I plan on using the local bug catchers to level up Keralis.

Leech Seed is one of the better status moves in my opinion. Even with a halved damage rate in Gen I, the free HP still comes in handy.

I forgot to turn on Set Mode. I didn't use Switch mode though so it's still fair. He's only a basic bug catcher after all.

I decide to start training Biffa and Bdubs for the second battle with Roblox. On my way, I pick up a potion hidden inside a cut bush.

I start my training in Viridian Forest. The Weedles can't do too much damage unless they poison and I have antidotes. Kakuna give out free XP but deplete a lot of PP from low level physical attackers.

I also turn off animations to make my grinding go faster.

Once I brought up Biffa to around level 5 I chose a new grinding spot. I'll be grinding on the southern end of Route 1. Although Pidgey and Rattata can hit harder than the bugs of Viridian Forest due to their STAB boosted attacks, I'm just a few steps away from free healing at home.

Once I've raised both Biffa and Bdubs to level 9, I decide to head to Route 22 and challenge Roblox.

First up is a mirror match. I get lucky with the speed and pull off a few Sand Attacks. Because of this Bdubs takes down the opposing Pidgey without much trouble.

Second off is the Charmander. Since I have a STAB advantage and Sand Attack I decide to stay in. Bdubs gets lucky with the Sand Attacks and wins the match without losing much health. Also, oof again.

I turn back on the animations because I like them and I fight the last bug catcher in Viridian Forest. Pushover.

The moment I arrive in Pewter City I heal up my team and head straight for Brock's gym. Seems like Roblox already breezed past Brock with just a Charmander and a Pidgey.

I challenge the Jr Trainer so I can level up Keralis and help him learn Vine Whip. Also he's got space units mixed up with time just like Star Wars.

Diglett was easy enough being frail and all but Sandshrew evaded Keralis' Leech Seed and weakened him. It's up to Bdubs to impede him with Sand Attack.

I tried to get Biffa to finish him off because Sandshrew keeps using Sand Attack. I try to see how long I can go without using a potion. Sandshrew gets a high damage roll and causes the first casualty of the entire Dexlocke saga.

I let Bdubs handle things from here. Keralis still gets enough XP to reach level 13 and learn Vine Whip.

I know Keralis will have an easy time with Brock but I use a potion anyway just in case.

I challenge Brock right after that. As expected, his Rock and Ground types with their low special fell with one Vine Whip each.

I got my first gym badge but there's still the question of what to do with Biffa. I'd release him but there's a tiny chance he could be shiny. I don't want to slip up with releasing a shiny. As I cannot trade to Gold on my other 3DS I have but one option.

I store Biffa in Box 1 in preparation of the transfer. This is why I don't put any other Pokémon in this box.

I've transferred Biffa to Pokémon Bank and found out he's not a shiny. There's still something else I want to do with him though.

I never thought I would be seeing this game again so soon.

Here I am. Already in Alola. I didn't want to use Home because Rattata cannot be taken out of Home yet. Also I won't be adding an Alola flair just yet, not until I reach Gen VII in my Dexlockes.

Some more info about Biffa's stats as of Gen 7.

My plan is to Wonder Trade the dead Rattata. Unfortunately I wasn't very far in Ultra Moon so I have to do some errands for Sophocles before I can use the Festival Plaza.

Once I'm done talking to visitors I can use the various Wi-Fi features including Wonder Trade.

I wait a little bit and find out Biffa is going to someone in Switzerland.

Biffa goes through and I end up with a Wingull. The Wingull seems to have been traded multiple times seeing as how the OT is different and the Pokémon is Italian.

Before I wrap up this summary and my brief visit to Alola I'll show both screens for my new Wingull's stats.

To be continued!

Keralis

Bdubs

Jessassin
Level: 14
Level: 11
Level: 5
Tackle​
Gust​
Harden​
Growl​
Sand-Attack​
Leech Seed​
Vine Whip​

None

Biffa the
(Lv 3 - 9) via Jr. Trainer 's Sandshrew

1/9

New Additions: Weedle

13. Weedle

23. Ekans
26. Raichu
107. Hitmonchan
109. Koffing
124. Jynx
125. Electabuzz
135. Jolteon
140. Kabuto

Empty Sun

that's right, buttholes
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 22, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pokémon Type
Normal, ???
Pokédex Entry
the takedown of roblox, finally something i can get behind

Ionbird

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 11, 2020
Red: Part 2 - Nugget About It

I did some more shuffling around with my formatting starting with this post. I renamed "Fallen Friends" to Cemetery to make it look more serious. I also added tables for the reserves and cemetery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the takedown of roblox, finally something i can get behind
Surely I will take him down more in my run. How many times, I'm not sure.

I've taken Gloria's advice to heart and in anticipation of the Raticate grunt I've decided to train up my team just for him. My first step is to evolve my Kakuna. It took a while because of no attacking moves but eventually...

Stats

Unfortunately, Jessassin still didn't get an attacking move so I had to resort to using my Bide TM. Not usually a good move but I guess it'll do.

Next route!

This is how Jessassin did after fighting some Lass's Pidgey. Deciding Bide wasn't good enough I decided to grind Jessassin some more until it learns Fury Attack.

New encounter!

I caught this one without too much trouble. I gave it a name that I thought would suit a flying type relatively well. Considering it evolves at level 20 into a Pokemon rivaling Pidgeot in stats I decided this would be my answer to the grunt's Raticate.

I make short work of most of the trainers on Route 3 and end up right in Mount Moon. I'll go grind up Skyzm and Jessassin here.

Have a new encounter.

Thankfully Zubats are easy to wall pre supersonic. Grass types need not apply.

I went for the name Zedaph simply because both start with Z.

After catching Zedaph I decided to train Skyzm to level 20 so I can evolve it. I focused mainly on Zubats since Spearow can take them out quite easily with Peck and Fury Attack. Keralis also evolved during this time from Vine Whipping Geodudes but I did not get to take a decent screenshot of it.

I also trained Jessassin to level 20 so it can learn Twineedle. This was one of the better Bug moves in Gen I. Like Skyzm, I had Jessassin train by using Fury Attack on Zubats and the odd Paras. I did this until Jessassin got to level 19 after which I just used a Rare Candy.

And finally, I face down the "murderous Raticate". Technically that's true considering how the Raticate killed my Charmeleon in my last Blue run. In here the Raticate's actually not too bad. One critical Peck does well over half. The Raticate just uses Tail Whip.

On the second turn I simply have Skyzm use Peck again and take down the Raticate. Skyzm was completely unharmed in the process.

With the rest of Team Rocket taken care of all that stands in the way are the fossils and the Super Nerd blocking them. Jessassin drops all 3 of his Pokemon with a single volley of Twineedle for each one. Note that because Bug is super effective against Poison in Gen I Twineedle absolutely destroys Poison types.

Because I chose the Helix fossil in Yellow I pretty much have to go with Dome here. I like Kabutops though so that's okay.

Despite traveling through Route 4 I skip my encounter for now. I did pick up the hidden Great Ball though in case I have to catch Abra.

I decide to beeline to Cerulean Gym but before that I immediately heal up in the local Poke Center. Can't go unprepared after all.

I see Roblox has already beaten me to the punch again.

Keralis makes quick work of both the regular trainers in the gym although some damage is taken in the process. That said I challenge Misty soon after. I picked Bulbasaur so I like my odds.

I forgot to snap a picture but Staryu was no trouble. Starmie took a couple hits but Leech Seed and Vine Whip quickly won me the match.

I return to Route 4 to look for an encounter. Soon enough I end up with an Ekans.

I go for PythonGB if only because Ekans is a snake.

Meanwhile, I look for another Ekans so I can trade this one to Yellow.

A single Vine Whip puts Ekans in the red. Easy catch.

Here's the Ekans stats. I put it in Box 12 until I trade it over to Yellow. Next stop, Nugget Bridge!

*Cue ****** theme*

Pidgeotto's Sand-Attack missed so that would be one less thing to worry about. A few hits did the job.

Abra's next. One Peck was all it took.

Rattata got in a couple hits thanks to Quick Attack. A couple Pecks took it down however.

Charmander wasn't a OHKO so it got in another hit. It amazes me how Roblox managed to beat Misty with this team. Sand Attack hax perhaps?

Another day, another oof.

Taking the Nugget Bridge gauntlet now. I cleared the first trainer already.

I didn't get much images of the Nugget Bridge gauntlet but it was pretty easy overall. I got a nugget from the last guy who turned out to be a Rocket grunt. Jessassin made short work of his Poison types.

After running from some dupes I find a valid encounter.

A couple of Tackles and a Poke Ball later I add a new member to my reserves.

I name this one Stress just because.

I quickly check out Route 25 to look for the next encounter. Also to go see Bill or whatever.

Interesting I would see bugs like these all the way out here.

I send out Zedaph to weaken the Caterpie. Caterpie manages to outdamage Zedaph though and I switch back to Skyzm. I toss a Poke Ball or two after that and Caterpie is caught.

I name the new Caterpie Juicetra. Possibly due to butterflies and nectar and all that.

To be continued!

Keralis

Bdubs

Jessassin

Skyzm
TackleGustHardenPeck
GrowlSand-AttackBideGrowl
Leech SeedQuick AttackFury AttackLeer
Vine WhipTwineedleFury Attack

Zedaph
Level: 7
Leech Life
PythonGB
Level: 10
Wrap
Leer
Poison Sting
Stress
Level: 14
Absorb
Juicetra
Level: 8
Tackle
String Shot

Biffa
Level 3 - 9
Killed by Jr. Trainer 's Sandshrew (Pewter City)​

2/9

New Additions: Ekans

13. Weedle
23. Ekans

26. Raichu
107. Hitmonchan
109. Koffing
124. Jynx
125. Electabuzz
135. Jolteon
140. Kabuto

Last edited:

Ionbird

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 11, 2020
Red: Part 3 - Let's Go Evolution!

I decided to do another overhaul with my posts. Rather than toying with the forum formats for my team and dead Pokes I decided I would use the Nuzlocke generator instead. It's something that I always liked using but haven't gotten around to using it much for Dexlockes much. I also made something else to record my Pokedex captures. It's a Microsoft Excel document that has a list of Pokemon with checkboxes. I did some programming that replaces the grayscale Pokemon artwork with a full color version and automatically counts how far I have to go. In other words the total progress and national dex stats update automatically. For the artwork I chose to use the Red and Blue Sugimori artwork. Not only does it look much more nostalgic but it gives the Pokemon a much more rugged feel.

As for my gameplay I have decided to record this at a much faster pace. Much more progress will be made in this update, I promise. I do feel that some of the screenshots have been a bit messy as I have been playing in a car illuminated by daylight a lot of the time.

I start off on the eastern end of Route 25 after having cut my way through the trainers. I left the Slowpoke kid alone as I always did but I did not go for the Mew glitch this time. Last time I reset I found that I could not transfer Mew to Bank so I decided to upload all my other Pokemon to Bank to check for shinies and leave Mew as my last Pokemon. I fought the kid in the grass at Route 24 so if and when I reset this I'll go find another way to do the Mew glitch after the run's over just so I can have a Pokemon I cannot transfer and thus check for shininess. Either that or I'll just use a Missingno instead.

Now that I got that out of the way I arrive at Bill's house.
\

I found Bill as a talking Pokemon and had to put him in the cell separator. After restoring him he gives me the SS Ticket as he "can't stand fancy dos".

Team Rocket's up to their dirty old tricks as usual.

Of course.

Blasted him right off.

With that grunt out of the way I proceed to Route 5 and look for my next encounter. Soon enough...

That Mankey was quite underleveled so I had to use Leech Seed to whittle down its health again.

I called this Mankey Grian as his avatar's face resembles a new pig themed block, they have the same color hair, and some of his worst fans can be easily riled up and send death threats to other Hermitcraft players.

I deposit Grian in the day care as I was interested in adding a Fighting type to the team. I found out that Mankey do not learn fighting type attacks naturally in Gen I though so after raising it a single level in the daycare I put it in the box.

I take the Underground Tunnel to Route 6 and fight my way through some more trainers. All the Pokemon in the grass are dupes so I cannot get anything here until I get new fishing rods or Surf.

Once I entered Vermilion City I rested at the Pokemon Center and picked up the old rod. I also get the bike voucher around this time and exchange it for a shiny new bicycle.

My next stop was Diglett's Cave. I didn't go there to return to western Kanto but rather to look for an encounter.

A short hunt later....

Didn't take much to catch this really. Didn't even have to weaken it.

I called this one Scar since the user my new Diglett was named for likes terraforming projects and even made a massive digging project recently. Considering how the next gym is electric th

After catching Scar I look for my Route 11 encounter. Didn't take as long as Yellow but still had to run from a couple of dupes.

It broke out of a few but I managed to contain it. I used Keralis' Leech Seed to help weaken it.

Considering there's a Hermitcraft player called Hypnotizd it was fairly obvious what I was going to name this one. Considering how broken psychic types were in Gen I that's another natural addition to my team.

Since both Scar and Hypnotized started off fairly weak and with no STAB I had to grind them. Grinding them against wild Pokemon didn't go to well considering how Hypnotized almost got killed and Scar's defense is so low that even facing down Pidgeys and Rattatas was a dangerous task. So I put them both in the daycare.

Since I didn't purchase the Magikarp at the Mt. Moon Pokemon Center I'll go use my old rod for the Vermilion encounter.

The newly withdrawn Hypnotized proves useful here as I could catch this Magikarp without damaging it. Scar was withdrawn from the day care as well.

Docm77's motto in Season 7 is "Grind, Optimize, Automate, Thrive". Had I chosen this nicknaming theme for a Kalos run, Skiddo/Gogoat would have been a perfect Pokemon to give the name Docm to. But since there aren't any goats in Gen I yet I decided the next best thing would be to give the Docm name to a Pokemon that depends on grinding. Magikarp would be perfect for this. I've used Gyarados in Kanto several times already though so I put Docm in the box.

Me at the S.S. Anne. Unlike in Yellow the SS Anne encounter tables are the same as the ones in Vermilion so I will consider this the same area. No new catches here. I mostly pick up some useful items like the Body Slam TM. I also train Hypnotized and Scar here to get them up to the same level as the rest of my team. As a Diglett that now knows Dig Scar is a brittle glass cannon (Dig has 100 base power in Gen I) but fortunately I can have Scar fight the Gentlemen as they all use Poison, Fire, or Electric types.

Oh hai Roblox

Didn't bother to record it all but there were plenty of oofs to be made.

With the SS Anne now gone I set my sights for the gym. I give Cut to Jessassin since Beedrill doesn't get much good moves anyway, Sometimes it's more convenient to have HMs on my main team.

Scar took a surprisingly high amount of damage from a Quick Attack via a gym trainer's Pikachu so I'm concerned that Raichu could OHKO Scar if it uses Quick Attack and gets a crit.

Fortunately Raichu did not use Quick Attack (it actually tried Thunderbolt at one point!) and Dig was a OHKO. Something that actually took me by surprise.

While Lt. Surge is not technically necessary to beat as my goal is not to beat the Elite Four but rather just get the missing Yellow mons, I still liked to beat him for the sake of being able to use Fly. Also the Thunderbolt TM as well.

My next trip will take me to Celadon City. My first stop is Route 9. It's an all dupes route so I don't catch anything there either. I fight some trainers though.

Route 10 on the other hand does have a valid encounter.

I name this Voltorb Tango Tek. Mainly because of Voltorb's "technical" background. I teach it Thunderbolt and put it on my team. I also teach it Flash to help make TRock Tunnel fell a bit easier.

*Tango Tek used Flash*

Soon after, I get my first encounter for the cave. It's a Machop. Pretty decent Pokemon though I probably don't have the time or space to use it.

I named my new Machop Iskall because Machop feels like a Pokemon that would shatter rocks for a living. Rocks which include diorite which Iskall famously hates and destroys on a regular basis.

Somewhere between Rock Tunnel and Celadon Scar evolves into Dugtrio.

I pretty much skip Lavender Town for right now and head directly for Celadon. I fight a couple trainers during the first trip but I leave more for later grinding. I get to Celadon for much fuss. I remember to pick up the Fly HM though. Fly makes travel super easy.

I originally didn't prioritize catching Pikachu in VIridian Forest considering how it's much more common in the Power Plant. Heck in a Blue run I've even caught Raichu directly in the Power Plant as a first encounter. I later found out that wild Raichu in the Power Plant is a Blue exclusive though. To get back to this run I've decided it would be more interesting to catch and evolve Pikachu right now considering how I have not even captured a target since Misty. So I purchased two thunderstones. One for Pikachu, one for Eevee.

Finding a Pikachu in VIridian Forest did not take as long as I thought it would. It took maybe 10 - 15 minutes.

I used Leech Seed to weaken this low level Pokemon seeing as how literally any attack on my team will OHKO it. It broke a few Poke Balls but I managed to catch it just fine. It managed to paralyze Keralis with Thundershock but any damage it did was reversed by Leech Seed soon after.

Oddly enough, Fly cannot be used to escape from Viridian Forest. I tried Dig instead.

Oddly enough, it worked and I ended up back in Celadon. This picture was taken before the trainer sprite even landed on the ground hence why nobody is visible here.

First thing after resting at the Pokemon Center is to head over to the hotel and pick up Eevee at the top floor. I don't do a Gift Clause here and my first catch in Celadon was actually an Abra I named Mumbo because like Kadabra and Alakazam Mumbo is a guy who builds complex machines and is associated with moustaches and spoons.

Pikachu and Eevee are together because I want to evolve them...

.....together!

My next stop is Erika's gym. Although like Lt. Surge beating Erika is not strictly necessary considering all she unlocks is a Pokemon League checkpoint and Strength which I do not need for my targets. I still do it anyway for the grinding and in case I want to use Mega Drain or something. Skyzm and Jessassin made short work of the gym's trainers.

I sent out Skyzm to deal with Erika. Fly was not an OHKO and Victreebel got to troll with Wrap. Skyzm trolled right back with Mirror Move and Erika healed Victreebel which meant Skyzm had to use Fly again. I sent out Jessassin to deal with Tangela which did the job quickly and VIleplume was OHKO'd with Twineedle.

I do some searching on Route 7 for a valid catch but no avail.

Hypnotizd living up to its name even more now.

With Hypnotizd fully evolved I feel ready to confront Team Rocket under the Game Corner.

One of my Pokes has reached 3 digit max health. I don't know about anyone else but I consider this a significant benchmark of my run.

Let's see if he's more difficult here than he was in the recent Go Fest.

Keralis one shotted Rhyhorn and Onix but struggled a bit with Kangaskhan before I swap in Hypnotizd to take advantage of Kangaskhan's low Special. Kangaskhan proceeded to lock itself in Rage before falling to another Confusion. So about the same I guess?

I purchase a Fresh Water for the guards so I can visit Saffron City.

In Saffron I mainly check out the Fighting Dojo. One of my catches is located in here. Even if I get Hitmonchan first I would rather count it for the Yellow Dex rather than the Red team.

I fight the first trainer. Karate Chop is a normal type move so it hits surprisingly hard. I defeat the first trainer but I think I'll go train up a few more levels before I come back here. Also, the first trainer literally says oof when defeated.

I search on Route 8 for an encounter. Good thing I always carry a Cut user with me.

I finally find a valid encounter here. Too bad Hypnotizd one shotted it with a non-critical Headbutt.

Look who's back.

Easy one shot.

I wanted to avoid switching so I kept Tango in on Exeggcute. I had Tango use Flash which led to Exeggcute failing two Hypnosis moves.

Again, easy one shot.

Kadabra was such a low level but it still took a Thunderbolt with little health remaining. A second hit did the job.

Another 2HKO. That's the best Electrode battle I had in a while.

Considering I only need to beat Koga's gym for Surf after this I think this could be my last fight with Roblox in this run. I think I've run the oof jokes into the ground so it's fitting I bury them in Pokemon Tower.

An easy hunt considering I have no dupes here.

I name the Gastly ZombieCleo both for the undead theme and it's apparent mischievous nature. ZombieCleo once started a server wide civil war in Hermitcraft by switching a sign to frame somebody else over a prank.

I briefly took out ZombieCleo because Gastly can wall wild Snorlax in Gen I. I didn't even need to send out ZombieCleo against the Snorlax though. Hypnotizd was enough and Snorlax only took one Great Ball.

If I didn't call the Pidgey Bdubs then Bdubs would have been the best name for Snorlax. In Hermitcraft a datapack allows a single user to turn night into day by sleeping in a bed. As monsters spawn in the night Bdubs likes to sleep in beds to keep the moon at bay. With Bdubs taken I call Snorlax BrenyBeast instead because Snorlax looks like a big beast.

I'll take the quicker route this time around. By hugging the edge on the far left I rode to Fuschia City without having to fight a single trainer.

Because three of the last Pokemon I have to capture are locked behind water this is perhaps the most important town in the run. This will also be important in Blue as Magmar can only be caught in Cinnabar Mansion. Reason being I need to pick up Surf in the Safari Zone and I also need to beat Koga before I can use Surf.

What I really need is a new fishing rod. Reason being I need one so I can get a Poliwhirl and trade it for Jynx. I forgot that it was the Good Rod that I get in Fuschia City though so I have to find the other fisherman. Good Rods only get me Poliwags. I'd rather catch a Poliwhirl directly.

I had to get past the second Snorlax to get to this guy. I only had to fight one trainer to get to him. Dude was an electric specialist so Scar shined in that battle.

The Pokemon really weren't biting in the Celadon pool so it took a couple minutes. Had to run from a Slowpoke as well.

Not too long later....

Heard he's a collector too. Ironic that the Pokemon he offers cannot be caught in the wild.

Likewise.

This concludes the episode so far but I've got more coming.

New Additions: Raichu, Jynx, Jolteon

Ionbird

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 11, 2020
Red: Part 4 - Tying Up Loose Ends

I'm doing a quick update as I had surpassed a major milestone in the run. Also, I left out my 3DS XL to dry for a couple of weeks but there are still stains and such. Do you think this is still good for snapshotting?

Either way, I'll go get Blue's exclusives out of the way before I go back to Yellow. There should be only 3 Pokemon I need. Although I still need to get to Cinnabar to get Magmar the Blue run should be less dense this time around. Also, I've added the starters to my dead Pokemon list.

I open off with training Keralis. I chose to grind in Diglett's Cave as the Digletts are an easy OHKO. I grind up to level 32 which leads to Keralis evolving for the last time.

After evolving Keralis I fly to Fuschia and try out the Safari Zone. My very first encounter was a Nidoran Male. I toss a single Safari Ball which succeeds in catching. I was going to have a rule where I keep throwing Safari Balls until I get a valid catch but now for this run it's not necessary.

Since Tauros, Kangaskhan, Chansey, etc. are so hard to catch I'll try and catch any I encounter and trade them to Yellow. The Tauros I found broke the Safari Ball and immediately fled. So I don't get to trade any to Yellow.

Almost had it!

On my second try I accidentally catch a Nidorina and a Doduo by pressing A and getting them in the first Ball. Since they're neither encounters nor caught for the Dex I just transfer them to Bank to check for shininess. I manage to get the Surf HM though.

To spend some time I go looking for a Route 17 encounter.

Sleepers sure are convenient.

I name Doduo Rendog because the Youtuber likes to invent and play as different alter egos.

I train Hypnotized until it learns Psychic and make short work of Saffron's Fighting Dojo.

As shown on my target list I go with Hitmonchan. I don't nickname it because I want to trade it over to Yellow.

Just fiddling with an invisible PC in the Celadon Hotel.

I've done some more grinding in Diglett's Cave. A new team shot before challenging Koga's gym.

Hypnotized, Scar, and Keralis make short work of most of the gym's trainers. Now it's time to challenge Koga himself.

Quick and easy.

I would have thought Muk would take at least two Psychics to beat.

I forgot to take a picture of KOing the second Koffing so I reused the first image. Same HP and text though.

Took Self-Destruct like a champ.

Since I've beaten Koga and can now use Surf my first stop is the Power Plant. First thing I do was to look for an encounter.

As with Hypnosis, Seismic Toss works great with catching wild Pokemon. I named the Pikachu ImpulseSV mainly due to it's electric "impulses".

It took a long time to find that Electabuzz. I've been fainting almost every wild Pokemon I see and several of my Pokemon have leveled up some. Pikachu in Viridian Forest was easier to find.

The Electabuzz broke out of several Great Balls. I had to weaken it to the red before I could catch it.

With Electabuzz out of the way my next destination is Cinnabar Island where I can get the last two of my catches for Red. I fly to Pallet and heal up at home before surfing south to Cinnabar. I don't get any encounters on Route 21 though.

I deposit the Dome Fossil at the lab so I can catch Koffing while I wait for Kabuto to be restored.

First steps into Pokemon Mansion.

I end up on the second floor before I get my first encounter. It's a Koffing. I'll treat this one as an encounter though.

Only took a single Great Ball.

I named it False (after FalseSymmetry) because it's evolution while having two heads is actually asymmetrical.

Now I need an unnamed Koffing for the Dex. After I run from a Ponyta or two I come across this.

That was like catching the first Koffing except I got to pull off a Hypnosis.

I return to the lab to pick up Kabuto. Since Kabuto is the last Pokemon I need from Red this concludes the Red section of the challenge.

Ionbird

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 11, 2020
Blue: Part 1 - Meowth

I started going for the Blue exclusives now. I'm doing a more minimalistic style here as I only need 3 Pokemon. Also for this run I'm not doing a nicknaming theme and there is no dupes clause. I'm hoping that no dupes would make this run feel different and interesting.

It seems like it's good enough on Yellow.
Thanks. I'll go back on Yellow as soon as I'm done with the Blue exclusives.

This is the last of the two mini Dexlockes for this generation.

For this run I picked Squirtle. It learns Bubble quickly which means beating Brock quicker. Also Squirtle is a good Pokemon in general.

Blue challenges me right away. I don't have Nuzlocking begin until I get Poke Balls though.

Not that this would even matter though as Bulbasaur went down on the first try. I didn't even have to use a Potion either,

All right. Now Nuzlocke mode begins.

Since Nuzlocking only began when I got my first Pokeballs I can get an encounter on Route 1.

I skipped the Route 22 Blue battle. There's not much to see here so I'll show off the encounters for Route 22...

Route 2....

And Viridian Forest....

Surprisingly Bubble was a 2HKO against both Geodude and Onix. I'm thinking it's because Bubble only has base 20 power in this generation.

For Route 3, I caught another Pidgey. This shows I'm most certainly not doing the dupes clause for this run.

Mt. Moon catch. Could be useful against Grass types as a last resort.

I returned to Viridian Forest to do some grinding because Metapods don't fight back. I've evolved some Pokemon here such as Princess and Bertram.

Grass types aren't much of a threat anyway.

In preparation for Team Rocket's Raticate I've evolved Princess yet again. I've also evolved Dillan as well. My goal is to get at least two Pokemon to level 20.

I can tell which grunt has the Raticate because he's the one sitting in a more narrow room. He always says "little kids should leave grown ups alone". Although he seems to be optional I fight him anyway. Also ironically there are several more Raticates used by various trainers later in the game.

I have Princess use Growl to soften up Raticate's attacks. All the Raticate uses are Tackle and Quick Attack allowing Princess to comfortably 2HKO with Mega Punch even though several Mega Punches missed.

I chose the Helix Fossil just to distinguish myself from choosing Dome in Red.

My Route 4 capture. He could be a good answer to Grass types.

Previously I've defeated Blue, cleared Nugget Bridge, captured a Bellsprout on Route 24, failed to catch Abra on Route 25, and a Meowth on Route 5. I accidentally restart without saving though so now I have to do it over again. Sand-Attack was annoying but the others dropped very quickly. Raticate is quite strong early game.

Bellsprout is the optimal choice for battling Misty. This here is the map of all locations where Bellsprout can be found. According to this map I have 4 chances to catch Bellsprout before Misty.

I now have to make some new catches. Here's the Route 24 catch...

The Route 25 catch.....

And the Route 5 catch. So far I haven't reclaimed Bellsprout yet.

I notice that Bellsprout can also be found on Route 6 so I cross the Underground Path and wander the grass in Route 6 but I end up with this. With no more chances I make preparations for challenging Misty soon.

In the meantime I also catch a spare Meowth for Yellow.

Now onto Misty. Dillan took out Staryu with a single Hyper Fang. Starmie took two Hyper Fangs from Dillan (Misty also likes using a single X Defend to buff Starmie) before I noticed that a single Water Gun did 20 damage. Knowing that a critical hit Bubblebeam could kill I switch out to Webster. Webster eats up multiple hits while finishing off Starmie with Dig and Seismic Toss.

Next Target: Vaporeon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)