• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Written Story Kalos Teen Other Adventure [The Lumiose Conference - A Kalosian Diary]

Thread Description
[Diary Entry #1 - Narrative] A challenge with rules inspired by Nuzlocking & role-playing, told by the eyes of Chloe Rider.

Season

Formally known as White Chaos.
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2020
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him/his
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is the Unovan regional form of the Pokémon White Chaos, shrugging the Dark/Psychic typing in favor of a Grass/Poison persona.
Hello everyone! Welcome to my thread. For those who don't know me, I used to be called White Chaos during the previous rendition of the forums (more on that here). One of my main incentives to come back to the community was to have a place for me to document my journey through Pokemon X. Over the past couple years, I've grown tired of standard Nuzlocke rules and found them to be too easy. When something dies, there's always a replacement for it; you have a seemingly infinite amount of party members. This lead me to utilize different dice based systems that restricted if I was eligible to get a Pokemon in a route or not and even which team members I could use at a time, and this run, while not that, has a lot of influence based on those brutal restrictions.

This run, The Lumiose Conference, uses the challenge and cartridge more as a medium of story telling; I've been watching a lot of Pokemon D&D lately and I wanted to create my own world, using Pokemon X as my Game Master, so to speak. The story itself will be told through the eyes of Chloe Rider, a young trainer from Vaniville. Every chapter will be a diary update from her perspective, but the narrative can shift focus into cut scenes through the perspective of other characters, or the third person, to better explain scenarios.

This challenge alters the two core rules of Nuzlocke and adds a surplus of new restrictions, which I'll explain in depth down below. To speak in broad terms, only referencing the two traditional rules: Pokemon are caught based on gym number and the in-game timer. Also, Pokemon accumulate strikes upon fainting which increase their chances of dying. Now, initially, that might seem easier than a Nuzlocke, but let me dive into the rules. There are 12 core rules with tons of clauses.

1. Set Mode

2. The protagonist can only play 1~ hour per day.

With the exception of the first day, which accommodates an extra hour to cruise through the tutorial section. The time elapsed, spent on an individual session, is recorded once you reach a safe space, such as a house or a Pokemon Center; meaning that you can't stop a session out in the wilderness. Whenever you reach such location, you must save and check to see if you're over the time limit for the day. This means you could spend more than 1 hour playing if you're currently grinding with your team in the wild or raiding an evil team, as the protagonist is focused on the mission at hand. Each session is considered 1 in-game week for narrative purposes.

3. After the starter is acquired, the protagonist must catch 1 Pokemon per gym, similar to a Shiny Badge Quest.
This Pokemon is randomized out of the available pool of Pokemon.

4. Every 3 in-game hours, a new Pokemon is added to the team.
These Pokemon, unlike the gym required recruits, can be from any point of the game. For example, if the protagonist rolls a Pokemon that is unavailable, it's marked as being part of the team and will be caught when the protagonist gets to that point.
[TENTATIVE: 4a. The Pokemon limit might be adjusted to 20 alive Pokemon (at a time) mid-way through the story. This is to cooperate with story telling, as it might be confusing to develop 20 Pokemon and their trainer at once]

5. The protagonist can only have a certain amount of Pokemon with them on hand at a time.
This amount changes based on the amount of badges they have.

Base Line: 2 Pokemon
2 Badges: 3 Pokemon
5 Badges: 4 Pokemon
The Elite Four & Champion: 6 Pokemon

6. The Pokemon that are on hand are determined by RNG.
The party is reordered every time you get a full heal. Trips to the Pokemon Center can only be done when all Pokemon on the team are at yellow HP or lower; this is to create the incentive of using the Pokemon when it isn't optimal to use them, even it's something as simple as a quick grinding session in the grass.

Note: This means that even if you have a good Pokemon, you may not be able to use it in desirable situations and your course of action might differ because of what you have on hand. This promotes quick thinking, strategic decision making, and knowledge of when to back off from progression in favor of building a long term game plan.

7. A couple of adjustments to how the game is typically played have been made to promote Role Playing elements.
7a. Pokemon must roll a d100 to evolve when they meet the requirements. If the number is greater than their current level, they must wait until the next level up to try again.
7b. When attempting to learn a TM/Move Relearner/Non-Essential HM, the same d100 process is done, however, the result must be half of their current level (A Level 20 Pokemon can only learn a special move if they roll a 10 or lower on a d100). If they fail, the must wait until the next time they're on the team to try again.
7c. Once the Daycare is acquired, a random team member is sent to the Daycare and stays there from anywhere between 30 minutes and 3 hours (this is assigned through a d6, 30 min for each side). The move slots are randomized before depositing, which introduces a chaotic mechanic where the Day Care could impact one's move set.
7d. You cannot run from wild Pokemon or use Repels. This is to promote caution when adventuring, adding a sense of urgency when traveling, especially when complimented through Rule 6 (gotta know the power level of the grass before you commit to a battle).
7e. The protagonist cannot look things up while adventuring; they have to be in a location that would be known for its public knowledge to do so, such as a Pokemon Center or a library. If something needs to researched in game, try going in blind or using the tools in game such as the Pokedex.

8. Every Pokemon has randomly generated personality traits and the protagonist must world build around them accordingly.
This includes doing side events in-game that they might not do otherwise because it makes sense with the Pokemon they have at hand. A Pokemon with an established fear of the dark might not want to go into a dimly lit cave, for example.

9. Here are the following item restrictions.
9a. An item can only be equipped onto a Pokemon at the PC or right after you pick up the item (build a strategy before you commit to an adventure, your bag isn't infinite in the real world!)
9b. You cannot use Potions or other bag-related restoration items neither inside nor outside of battle. You may use recovery items outside of battle while inside of the Elite Four chambers.
9c. Equipping certain items, even if they don't have traditional use in-game, could have Role Playing elements. For example, by giving a Pokemon a Potion, they can bypass rule 9b to heal inside/outside a battle. An equipped Repel could bypass rule 7d if you decide to take it from the Pokemon to use it. A Pokemon equipped with an X Attack could use an X Attack from the bag. A Pokemon could have a +5 added to its Bulldoze TM compatibility die roll if it has a Soft Sand attached. The goal is to be creative and solve problems that would make sense within the context of the universe.
9d. You can pretend an item is equipped to a Pokemon if you only have one copy of that item, such as the X Attack example. That way, it stays in the bag and maintains its in-game function.
9e. In accordance with the narrative, all the Pokemon on your team are treated as being out at the same time, so a Pokemon holding a Potion can bestow its Potion use to an ally in combat.
9f. Team wide Item Clause. This includes Pokemon currently in the PC and Daycare.

10. Like items, abilities can also provide case-by-case RPG elements.
For example, a Pokemon with Overgrow could be able to use X Items in battle during a dire situation, like after a teammate fainting. A Pokemon with Healer could use Antidotes from the Bag to heal a party member. A Pokemon with Intimidate could have increased odds at learning "scary" TMs. Have fun with it!

11. There is a death system.
11a. When a Pokemon faints, it gains 1 marking (from the box).
11b. Once the team is healed, they have a chance to permanently die. The chance for death is 10% for every marking they had before the faint. This means that the first faint starts at a 0% chance to die and caps at 60%.
11c. This allows for an interesting dynamic, where the death rules are technically easier than a Nuzlocke, but the rest of the rules are harder in comparison (random team, restrictive slots, etc.). In addition, this presents more narrative and strategic opportunities; one might be more nervous to fight a difficult trainer with a Pokemon with a lot of markings as opposed to using one with few.

12. Have fun and play it slow.
This adventure was made with the goal to role play within the Pokemon games. Don't take on bosses if you're not comfortable with it just because you want to rush. There will be points in the adventure where you could go hours waiting for a good team composition to fight a boss due to a combination of skewed levels and bad type coverage. Be patient and think of other things to do while you wait; spend quality time with those non-optimal Pokemon, even if they weren't the ones you were hoping to roll at the moment.

I guess I have to start somewhere, right? Here goes nothing.

My name is Chloe Rider, an 18 year old senior trainer at the Vaniville branch of the Pokemon Academy. The Academy is an institution where aspiring trainers learn to become professionals. At age 16, you learn how to be a trainer through the use of rental Pokemon. The following year, you get a partner Pokemon of your own and learn how to take care of it through the guidance of the professors. Once you turn 18, you're sent on an adventure with your partner Pokemon to acquire as many badges as you can. Some kids realize they're not cut for the professional life in practice and end up settling down at a town they were fond of during their journeys. Others make it to the big leagues; they get a sponsorship and make a career out of training. That's where I want to be.

But how did I get here? After one graduates from grade school, the place where you learn day-to-day stuff like English, math, science, and that sorta stuff, you have a year to think about your interests and what career paths you might align with; there's this whole job fair and they pass out flyers with tons of information about local businesses providing internships.

Most kids go into their families' business, like tending to crops or working at their family's restaurant to be the next in line for inheritance, but I don't really have that option. My parents, Cyrus and Grace Rider, are the renown Rhyhorn Racing lovers; back in the day, they used to win all sorts of tournaments. It started off as a bitter rivalry, one taking gold from the other every event, but I think that constant back and forth only added more flame to the fire.

Riding Pokemon? That's sounds cool, but I don't think I'd wanna do that forever. Ever since I was a kid, my dad and I would watch the Lumiose Conference on TV; it's this big bi-annual tournament that hosts the most talented trainers in the region. There are hundreds of participants each year, whether it be those from previous Cons or new graduates from the Pokemon Academy.

The way it works is that the bracket is seeded according to the results of the last Lumiose Conference, then you put all the new trainers as bottom seeds. Well, not exactly. See, the order of the new trainers is determined by how well you do during your Gym Challenge; those with more badges get higher seeds compared to those with less. However, there was a bit of an incident last year. A girl by the name of Faith Campbell put the whole system on its head. She had all 8 badges, an accomplishment that's rare to see for such a young age, but something felt weird. She barely had any of the Pokemon that she was known for during the broadcasting of her gym fights. Faith got far in the bracket but was disqualified when the authorities looked at her death count records.

Rumors say that after catching Pokemon with advantages to each gym, she'd leave them out for her partner, Weavile, to knock out for experience. I've heard whispers from the academy that point to it being true and I think the officials had the same hunch. The trial was a mess and nothing really came from it, but the verdict was that, while she couldn't be penalized without concrete evidence, she would have to withdraw from the next Lumiose Conference for precautionary measures. It makes you think, what if it was all made up? Right?

Anyway, this year, they're taking a more "quality of life" approach; every graduate has to document their adventure every week with detailed reports of what they're going through. It's to rate how good of a trainer you are... and how honest of a writer you are. I'm sure they'll definitely be fact checkers to make sure no one's saying the wrong thing.

I'm sure you could tell by now that I decided to go into the Pokemon Academy. I mean, I wouldn't be writing this report if wasn't, right? I don't know why I'm writing this. I think I should start over. I mean, you guys KNOW all of this already. I literally said it on the first paragraph! And YOU'RE the ones reading it! Ugh. Maybe I'm nervous for the big day. My journey hasn't even started yet and I'm already practicing writing my updates. Ven is barking for food again. He's jumping up and down my bed with this adorable, grumpy face. What a dork. You know what, that's enough practice. I'm sure my first real update will be perfect. I can't wait to be the next Diantha Carnet.

[ctrl + S]
Saved!

Ven - Male [Starter]
Strong values, bad manners, uncompromising
[Blaze: Once per session, while the user is in Blaze conditions, you may use an X Item on any Pokemon in the party]

Ven - Male [Starter]
[Blaze: Once per session, while the user is in Blaze conditions, you may use an X Item on any Pokemon in the party]

Liana - Female [Gym 1 Encounter]
Tactful. curious, a joker
[Shed Skin: The user can freely swap a held item outside of battle after Shedding a status condition]

Last edited:

Season

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2020
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him/his
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is the Unovan regional form of the Pokémon White Chaos, shrugging the Dark/Psychic typing in favor of a Grass/Poison persona.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dear Diary,

Today was the first day of being a certified Pokemon Trainer. It feels great to be out in the wilderness! Ven and I decided to partner up with my best friend, Brooke, as we head through Santalune Forest. She's a transfer student from Fallarbor Town, all the way in Hoenn.

[...]

---

[3rd person, Route 1, 2:00 PM]

"It feels great to be out in the wilderness!", said Chloe, striking a confident pose with her arms to her hips. The calm, early spring breeze wisped through her hair as she let out a wide smile.

"We're like, 50 feet from town, Chlo'", said Brooke, in a friendly tease. A white bird with singular blue stripes on each side of its wings descended from her flight and perched on top of the long, green-haired girl's head. Brooke wore a red, unzipped jacket with yellow markings, a white tank top, and a black skirt. Ven, the yellow-furred fox, was laid down on a park bench a couple feet away from the three, tending to his own fur.

"Whatever!", groaned Chloe, quickly regressing from her towering posture and assuming a more slouched position, "What matters is that finally, for the first time in our lives, we're actual, real-life trainers! We can do anything! Right, Ven?"

Ven didn't respond.

Chloe, whose mood kept taking steps down the staircase of enthusiasm, walked over to the bench and sat down next to Ven, who was hogging as much space as he could by sitting in the center. Upon hearing the footsteps of his trainer, Ven extended his legs in all directions to try to occupy even more of the bench. However, due to his small stature, he wasn't very successful in doing so and Chloe was able to sit comfortably by his side. She extends her hand over to the base of Fennekin's head, applying gentle strokes behind his ears with her fingers. The fox is compliant to the gesture and curls its hind legs back towards his body, while maintaining the extended position of the front ones. She taps the back of his head to gesture him to look up at her and Ven opens one eye, with a slight annoyance that his luxury time was cut short. Chloe points to the dark grey bracelet on her right arm, which had an emerald glow at the center. She presses the button that was radiating the light and it turns off.

"This thing's useless if you're not going to reason with me, Ven", said the brunette, in a sigh. The Fennekin opens both eyes and tilts his head upwards, looking at his trainer in a poker face stare down.

[...]

---

[3rd person flashback, Pokemon Academy Auditorium, the day before]

Dean Farro stands at the podium with a large amber hawk perched on a second podium to the right of him, the two assuming a stone-cold posture, with the former breaking character and bursting into a wide smile.

"Students!", he said, extending both of his arms out into the crowd. The room was filled to the brim with academics with graduation caps on. At the right hand corner in one of the middle rows sat Chloe, with Ven laying down on her lap. On respective sides of her were Brooke and her Wingull, Bayla, and a kid by the name of Tommy Rushmore. He wore a tan baseball cap and an appropriate white-and-navy stripped jersey with a Lillipup logo on the chest. A loud sneeze erupts from the area in which they were standing, but only the trio was able to hear it due to the uproar of the other students. Tommy leaned down and brushed some sand off of the nose of a khaki colored hippo. "Don't worry, girl, Mom said she'll pack some medicine for that cold of yours. That'll hold you off for a bit, at least until we get to Santalune".

Chloe tilts her head over to Halta, the Hippopotas, with a smile and quickly looks over to Brooke in glee. She takes the hand of her friend, whose hair was currently all over the place due to Bayla resting on her head, trying to listen to the Dean as the bird had strands of green hair in her mouth. "Isn't this exciting?", says Chloe, with starry eyes.

"Definitely", says Brooke, "I'm excited for what the news is going to be."

"Right", said Tommy, leaning outwards to get into the frame of the conversation, "Dean Farro said there's been changes to the Exploration System." Brooke nods her head as the the crowd seems to simmer down.

The Dean, walking away from the podium and carrying the microphone in his hand, goes to the tip of the stage and sits down with his legs crossed. He looks in both directions, still with an extend smile, and starts to wipe a tear from his eye.

"It has been an honor, students, to work alongside you. I couldn't have asked for a better Senior year. Do you guys remember the food fight back in March? I have a framed photo of Mrs. Reede's face covered in mashed potatoes. Well worth the weekend scrubbing the floor clean, right Miss Garner?"

Brooke looks down and grabs Bayla, resting her on her lap. She feels a quick tug from her hair, but it fortunately remains intact. "It was an accident...", whispers the girl, looking flushed from embarrassment. Chloe reaches out and places her hand on top of Brooke's with a warm, sympathetic smile.

"Anyway", says the Dean, getting back up, "I've gathered you all today, not just in celebration of a virtuous semester, but to tell you about the news you've all been eager to hear about. As you know, after the Faith incident, the Lumiose Conference staff has been working closely with the schools across the region to keep a closer eye on everyone's journey to make sure something like that doesn't happen again."

The crowd starts to break into tiny whispers of gossip as the Dean is now back at his podium. The Talonflame at his side lets out a loud Growl, silencing the crowd.

"Thank you, Curry", said Farro calmly, "We've been blessed by the Flare Foundation, who has sponsored the Lumiose Conference for so long, and we're proud to announce a secondary means of documentation to supplement your diary entries."

The Dean opens a metallic box and removes a similarly plated bracelet from its confinements, placing it on his wrist. "I'm going to need a volunteer", he says, walking away from the podium once more.

An ashy-haired boy in the front row was picked from the jungle of raised hands and walks up to the stage. "Mr. Broadley, everyone!", the Dean announces with enthusiasm, as the student walks up to him. "Mr. Broadley, I'm going to ask a favor of you. Please whisper a number, no matter how low or high you can think of, to Curry's ear. Could you kindly do that for me?"

The boy nods and walks over to the two podiums in the middle of the stage, intimidated a bit by the Fire-typed bird, but was able to mutter something into its ear. The Dean then thanks the boy, gesturing him to stay there, as he turns back to the crowd.

"Lysandre, the president of the Flare Foundation, has bestowed upon us a glorious device, as you see on my well-tanned wrist, might I add. This device has been in its prototype stages for a decade now but it's finally ready to surface into the shores of academics."

He presses the button on the bracelet and the device glows into a faint green.

"Curry", he says with his chest puffed up, "What was the number Mr. Broadley told you?"

The crowd goes dead silent, the suspense of the atmosphere piercing through the room. A stern chirp was let out from the Talonflame as the Dean nods and puts his hand on the student's shoulder.

"Mr. Broadley, was that number 726?"

[...]

----

[3rd person, Route 1, 2:15 PM]

Ven breaks eye contact, puffs a tiny Ember to the side, and scurries off to where Brooke and Bayla were at. Chloe looks down at the bench and stares at the blackened wood. She double checks to see if it could start a fire, tapping it in a defeated pattern with the sleeves of her coat, and walks back to the group quietly. Brooke grabs her by the hand, causing Chloe to look up in an daze.

"Don't worry girl", the Hoenn native said with a warm, sympathetic smile and a Pokeball in hand, "Wanna try these puppies out?"

[...]

---

Dear Diary,

Today was the first day of being a certified Pokemon Trainer. It feels great to be out in the wilderness! Ven and I decided to partner up with my best friend, Brooke, as we head through Santalune Forest. She's a transfer student from Fallarbor Town, all the way in Hoenn. Ven's been really good at listening to commands. I couldn't have asked for a better partner. We're in sync, you feel? I'm sure we'll be the best trainers the world could ever dream of come the end of our journey if we're starting off this strong! Brooke and I are going to catch some Pokemon in the forest, so I'm excited on what we'll find. I'm hoping to get something strong and reliable to match the power level of my squad right now. Can't let down even when ahead, you feel?

Best,
Chloe Rider

[ctrl + s]

Click!

Ven - Male [Starter]

Last edited:

Season

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2020
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him/his
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dear Diary,

Today I caught my first Pokemon.

[...]
---

[3rd person, Santalune Forest, 8 PM]

"Man, I can't believe after I did all the hard work, Lexia wanted to be with you!", exclaimed Chloe in a joking-yet-truthful manner. Brooke walked over to the campfire where Chloe was at and offered her a slice of pineapple that they had found in the forest. Chloe grabs one of the slices in a pout and looks around, grabbing a stick near her feet. She looks over at Bayla, who was sitting next to her, "Can I get some help please?" The Wingull shoots water towards the stick, washing off the dirt on the wood. Chloe then stabs her slice with the stick and hunches over, keeping it above the fire.

"Just because you rinsed it doesn't mean it's clean, you know", said Brooke, sitting down adjacent to Chloe, chewing down on her non-heated slice. The Wingull perks up, noticing that Brooke was done making preparations, and swoops over to snag the rest of the slice from her hand. Brooke lets out a sigh, "Should've seen that one coming. You just had one too!", as she gets back up to get another slice from her tent, after she had just put the rest of the slices in a container.

The tent unzips, as Ven, who was previously uninterested in the social gathering after having an early dinner, walks out of the makeshift shelter and sits down next to Chloe to bask in the warmth of the fire. Bayla roosts over to where Brooke had been sitting, right next to a Budew that could barely keep her eyes open.

"I think she needs some rest, B", said Chloe, gesturing towards the flower child with her stick, dripping pineapple juice in the general area. Bayla gently grabs the Budew with its talons and brings her over to the tent, as Brooke thanks the bird for her help. "Get comfy now, lil Lexi", said Brooke, putting the baby down on a patted sleeping bag, finally giving into the slumber. Brooke grabs a slice from the container before zipping the tent back up.

"You can put them in their Pokeballs when they go to bed, you know", said Chloe, washing her hands down with Bayla's Water Gun. Brooke returns back to her usual spot, "Yeah, but I think it's nice to let them sink into the warmth of the fabric beforehand. I'll put them in the ball when they're sound asleep."
Chloe was about to continue the conversation as rustles from a nearby bush cut her train of thought, and before she could turn around, a silhouette bursts out and snags the slice from Brooke's hand.

"Oh, come on!", Brooke groans, just as startled by the unidentifiable Pokemon as she was upset from hunger.

The Pokemon was an insect in nature but a bush in appearance; a bug in leaf clothing. Chloe stands up in excitement, "It's show time! Ven, use Ember!". Ven looks over towards his trainer with an annoyed face and springs upwards, launching a fireball towards the wild Pokemon. The bug, with a slice bigger than its head in its mouth, darts past the girls and climbs up a tree. Brooke commands Bayla to chase after it and the bird darts into the sky to get a better view.

There was a bit of silence; Ven's fur was spiked up due to the adrenaline. The scene was quiet; only the sparking of the fire could be heard. The eye of the storm is broken with the sound of water hitting the tree and the bug falling onto the ground. Chloe presses the trigger in her Pokeball, causing it to expand to triple its size, as she walks over slowly to the unconscious Pokemon.

"I've never seen a Burmy up close", she said, starting to hunch down. She stares at it longingly with a serious, unbreakable gaze, her body inching closer and closer to the bug before darting her head back towards the others, "I should probably throw the ball at a distance, right?"

"That's the idea", said Brooke, raising her arm out for Bayla to roost upon it. Chloe gets back up and walks a couple feet back. She turns around, now facing the Burmy, and closes her eyes.

"You're mine", said the brunette, throwing the ball, successfully catching the Burmy. She sends the Pokemon back out and greets it. Its golden eyes sparkled in the light of the campfire.

"I'm going to call you Liana, okay? I'm Chloe, I'm going to be your trainer now." She points over to her Fennekin, who is at a respectable distance away from the group post-commotion,"That's Ven! He's your super cool, super strong teammate! Go meet him, you'll be friends from here on out."

She puts Liana down on the ground as the Burmy scurries over to the fox. Chloe starts tinkering with Liana's Pokeball, reaching into her coat pocket to grab a chip and places it into the center of the sphere.

"Hi!! I'm Liana!!", said the Burmy to Ven, in an enthusiastic tone.

[...]

---

[3rd person, Pokemon Academy Auditorium, the day before]

Dean Farro, across from a young student, and his Talonflame, Curry, stand in front of a crowd of senior graduates. The room is under a complete silence after he had just asked the bird to tell him the number that was whispered to its ear.

"That can't be right", said Tommy, to his friend group in the crowd. Chloe puts her arm out to Tommy's chest, "Shhhh. This is getting good."

"Mr. Broadley", the Dean said in a calm tone, "Was that number 726?"

"Y-Yes."

The room remained silent.

"Very good!", said the Dean, escorting the boy down the stairs, "This device on my wrist is called the Narrative Bracelet! It allows humans to talk to Pokemon, or rather, it allows us to be able to understand them! I'm not entirely sure of the science behind it, that's probably in the manual, but essentially, by inserting a Narrative Chip onto the Pokemon's Pokeball, its thoughts will be transmitted onto the bracelet, allowing you to understand what they say."

[...]

---
[3rd person, Santalune Forest, 8:40 PM]

"Liana, huh?", says the fox in an intrigued tone of voice. Ven gets up and circles around the Burmy, assessing her like a vulture hovering over a dead body.

"You know how the food chain works, right?"

"No", Liana says, unaware of the threat, "Tell me!"

"I'm a Fire type, you're a bug. I call the shots around here", said Ven, leering into the Burmy's eyes.

Liana's eyes continue to linger into Ven's until it becomes unbarringly uncomfortable for the yellow devil. After a bit of silence, Liana happily blurts "Okay!
You're the boss! You're super cool, super strong!"

Before Ven could figure out just what had happened, Liana scurries over to where Chloe was at, climbing all the way up to her arm. It was in that moment that Chloe was able to secure the Narrative Chip, ready to activate the bracelet. She looks over to Liana with a smile, presses the button on her wrist, and the bracelet starts to glow green. Just as Chloe was about to make the first move in conversation, the Burmy bursts out "Hi!! I'm Liana!!"

Chloe playfully laughs at the irony of being greeted by the Pokemon she had just named, looking over at Ven's curious, off-brand face, and back at the Burmy, "Nice to meet you, Li".

[...]

---

Dear Diary,

Today I caught my first Pokemon. She's a fighter alright. I found her, injured in the bushes. After tending to its wounds, I was able to nurse it back up to strength with some Oran Berries that we found. The Pokemon was a Burmy and I named her Liana. She's just as cute as she is strong! Ven even extended a paw to her as a gesture of comradery; he must've known that being a Fire-type must've been intimidating to her, so knowing my little angel, he wanted to be friendly! Aw! Our squad is shaping up to be one of champions!

Best,
Chloe Rider

[ctrl + s]
Click!

Pokemon can talk to each other without the aid of the Narrative Device, but humans can only hear them with the device on.

Ven - Male [Starter]

Liana - Female [Gym 1 Encounter]
Tactful. curious, a joker
[Shed Skin: The user can freely swap a held item outside of battle after Shedding a status condition]

I have modified the rules a bit to increase variance. First, I have nerfed the Move Compatibility roll, as I was getting TM successes way too often, so now the odds are reduced to half (Meaning, a Level 20 Pokemon needs to roll a 1-10 to learn a TM).

Secondly, I'm altering the team wide Item Clause to a Party Item clause and in its absence, will utilize random held items from the bag. This will have virtually no effect in the story, but basically speaking, if I want to equip something with an item, I pick as many good items as I can, up to 5, and then pick one at random to equip. When a Pokemon is knocked out or the item is utilized, such as using a held Pokemon's Awakening, then the item is rerandomized. This has been proven to be way more fun in the 2 days I've tested it in a complimentary run, so I'm adapting it here for the main run.

Lastly, I'm changing the definition of a "session". Previously, it was an hour of playtime, but I instead am changing it to 3 team rotations worth of playtime. Why? For another rule enforcement, as I'm currently met with a roadblock in the real world that I don't want to overgrind for; I must attempt to proceed the plot once per session. What this means is, I have 2 chances to reroll a team before I'm forced to attempt to fight the boss using the third team (I still have to use the teams until they reach their half health quota). This introduces risk taking, as with the previous rules in place, I could theoretically farm in the wild until I was able to generate a team composition that would easily run down a gym. This new rule encourages me to try neutral advantage fights and risk getting Death Markings.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)