• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Ruleset The Lorelocke - Version 1.12. Lots of new art and a few fixes.

Thread Description
A Mythology and Folklore based massive ruleset

Martian

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 26, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Ice
I'm definitely gonna try this out in the future!

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Martian - That's great! When you do I'd sure love to hear how it goes.

In case you are wondering I'm still working on the Jotho lorerules and am making good progress. I'll give you a small hint - some of the rules I added here were originally made for Gen II pokemon, but as I made them I decided to add them to older pokemon from Gen I as well.

But for now it's time for update 1.06! Here's the changes log:

Version 1.06 – Update log

Added:
Added Heroic new art for the Machop line (by our amazing loreartist @mewstein of course).
Added the Eruption! Rule to the Magmar line.
Added The Cretan Bull rule to Tauros (instead of the Aleph Bull).
Added Master of Disguise rule to Ditto.
Added Mighty Shell rule to the Shellder line and the Omanyte line.

Fixed:
Bull of Heaven rule now also requires you to have a pokemon with a Fighting type move in order to use it.
Chosen of Mars added also the effect that it cancels all lorerules that don't allow you to switch pokemon into battle.
Hero's Quest changed so if you won't use your pokemon in its quest battle, you'll have to release it as well.
Gift of the Kappa wording made clearer.
Fixed spelling errors, changed formatting a bit and reordered some of the rules.

Removed:
The Alpeh Bull rule removed (it was an inferior version of the Imperial Symbol rule and not fun to play with, believe me I tried in my Let's Go Pikachu lorelocke).

(As usual I'd love any comments/ideas/suggestions/criticism/hearing your experience with these rules. It makes me so happy to get so much positive feedback and seeing more and more people playing and enjoying these rules!).

Last edited:

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Greetings all!

Hope those of you who are using this ruleset are enjoying themselves, as well as the many of you who are currently playing the great Gen 8 games. I'm still slowly working on the Johto rules (though blind Nuzlocking Shield does take a good chunk of my free time). But I wanted to share something else with you guys - I completed my very first lorelocke run! A run of Let's Go Pikachu which combines my "no exp catches" rule which means I can only get exp the classical way from battles and can’t "grind" for exp using catches like most Let's Go Nuzlockers do, with the addition of my lorelocke rules. I'm quite excited about this as I have learned a lot from this run, and in fact the most massive update so far, version 1.05 of the rules, was heavily based on what I learned from it, as well as some of the Johto rules I'm writing. I also posted a Graveyard and Hall of Fame summary for this run if you want to check them out and learn more about my experience as I talked a lot about the different lorerules there. This whole lorelocke project started as I was looking for new interesting ways to Nuzlocke my Let's Go Pikachu for my Hall of Fame project, and so this is sort of a closure for me, and also of course the beginning of something new as I plan to do more loreocke runs in the future (I still have my posted storylocke lorelocke Kantonian Fables which I currently update once every few weeks, and I believe my next lorelocke run will be of one of the Johto games once I finish these rules to test them out).

Hall of Fame

Graveyard

Anyway I also wanted to share a few of my thoughts about this run with you. I'll do it in a list format if you don't mind:

A) Combing two rulesets is hard! This run turned out to be much harder than I anticipated it to be. I had 12 deaths, 3 of which were directly cause by lorelockes but a lot more were indirectly caused by them, like the fact I couldn't switch out my Nidoqueen from battle because she had the Karkadann lorerule or a limited movepool of certain pokemon that limited my battle optiions. But if you ask me this is actually all a good thing. The run was fun, challenging, and I had a lot of moments when I had to think about my future strategy, how to deal with certain lorerule limitations and use my limited resources wisely. Still, if you are trying the lorerule for the first time do consider not adding too many other rules on top of it. I heard from some of you who have combined other rulesets with the lorelocke (I'm looking at you @Spectacles 🙂 ) that it can actually be quite interesting, but again, more challenging.

B) Lore is king. The added strategy the lorelocke rules gave was quite fun, and the way the rules made me look at old pokemon in new ways was great, but more than all this the lorelocke rules worked the best when their flavor was conveyed well. When I had to take a pokemon through a quest to fulfil its goal it added so much more content to the game. When I caught that rare Chansey and got to use its Wish and made my Royal Nidoking understand the importance of humility it gave my run so much more depth. The fact that everyone on my final team had that extra little story: e.g. my starter being my little personal Familiar Spirit, my Gyarados being a serene koi that couldn't use too much violence even after it evolved, my Starmie being a bizarre invader to our world who could only learn certain moves, all gave that even more of a personality which was great.

C) Quests are cool. This relates to the last point. I really enjoyed lorerules that had little quests in them (like how my Restless Spirit Haunter wanted to find its old trainer and how my old reanimated toy Mr. Mime wanted vengeance against its old owner). I feel there aren't enough rules like that and will try to add more over time.

D) There is nothing like testing to balance a ruleset. I had some theories about the balance of certain rules. Some were true, others were not. For example I was afraid that not enough rules can cause lore deaths and too many rules prevent lore deaths or reanimate pokemon who died from lore rules making the rules boring. When it comes to my own run, I was sure wrong. True, the last balance in which I increased the odds of some of the rules to kill pokemon was a good idea, but overall in this run I had 3 deaths directly caused by the rules and more indirectly which is a fair number, and only 1 lore-item which could cancel that and I got it too late. Same is true for the ability to cancel lorerules or prevent some of their effects. I feared I'll get too many of those but I think I got the right amount that added strategy to the game. The Lion and the Mouse helped me in the beginning but then I lost Aesop my Alolan Rattata. The Grace of the Koi worked like intended and only helped me for a certain part of the game. I foolishly used the only Wish I got on Malik my Nidoking who later died from a lorerule. This might be a matter of extreme good or bad luck in this specific run, and one run might not be a good reference, but I guess only more data could help here (so please if you feel like it, do share with me your experiences, I'd love to hear and use this information and you would greatly support this project by doing so. Thanks again for those of you who are doing that). Another thing I was worried about was that money related limitations won't be very relevant and I was right about that. Not a lot of rules regard money, though I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. I also found some rules to have problems like the Royal Ancestry one and that's why I added more rules that helped with that in update 1.05. I didn't get any useful Chosen pokemon so I'm still not sure if some of them are too OP. I believe these were my main concerns going into this run, and I learned a lot from this run about how to tackle these issues in the future.Overall I had a lot of fun playing this run.

See you guys next time, keep on playing and enjoying, and expect more updates in the future.

Zorua3

On-and-off Nuzlocker
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Dark
Pokédex Entry
I'd copy-paste the Zorua Pokedex entry, but I'm too lazy.
Yikes, as someone who did their own no-grinding LGPE-locke and is doing a Lorelocke rn, combining those two DOES sound insane. Honestly twelve deaths would probably be on the low side for me. Also, I personally feel you on the Nidoqueen- mine also has Karkadann and has almost died multiple times, I think it's just a matter of time until I run into a Pokemon with a random coverage move and she's toast (the TM for Protect does help immensely, though!).

I can't wait for Johto rules!

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
@Zorua3 - If someone can understand the hardships of using both these rulesets and the same time that would be you! That's great to hear about your lorelocke. Are things going well? If you need any help or have any questions I'm always happy to talk.

As I always say, I'm still slowly working on the Johto rules. I'd say I'm about 70% done, so I decided to share one of the Johto mons lorerules with you guys. And as many of you will soon celebrate the holidays in your cold winter nations, I thought this little bird will be an appropriate choice:

Delibird
1) Santa’s Little Helper
When you catch Delibird you may choose one pokemon you own that was hit by a healing Present and cancel its lorerule. When Delibird reaches level 24 you may discard 10 letters or items worth 20,000 pokeyen to cancel a lorerule of a random pokemon from your box. Delibird is also considered Fairy type for the purpose of lore rules. Must know Present if possible. Must know an Ice type move if possible.
2) The White Stork
(In games in which breeding is possible and if it is allowed by your rules) - choose two random pokemon you own that are able to breed with each other and put them in the day care. You are allowed to use the pokemon that hatches. (Otherwise) - For the next gift pokemon or egg pokemon you receive, you may choose the lorelocke for this pokemon. Delibird Must know a Fly move if possible.
3) The Puffin Hermit
Can’t know any Dark type moves or be in the same party as Dark type pokemon. Can’t Wedlocke or be connected due to a lorerule to any other pokemon.
4) Emperor Penguin (Royal Ancestry)
Won’t follow a commoner, meaning you can’t switch into this pokemon if another pokemon without Royal Ancestry is in the battlefield. Cancel this effect as long as it holds a King’s Rock.

Also, version 1.07 is up! Not a lot of changes, but it does include an appendix that adds some extra possible rules and variations on the rules regarding stuff like the Shiny clause, the Chosen pokemon, and for those who want to use the rules but rather not add the Nuzlocke rules as well (which are a given in the original rules of course). Hope you'll enjoy!

Version 1.07 – Update log

Added:
Added Possible Extra Rules and Variants Appendix if you want to spice things up. (I might add more of these in the next update so any suggestions are welcomed).
Added the Familiar Spirit rule to Meowth and Alolan Meowth
Amusing new art for the Bellsprout line.

Fixed:
Fixed spelling errors, changed formatting a bit and reordered some of the rules.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Greetings all! It is time for a new update and some news.

So first of all, as I've been teasing for way too long I've been working on the Johto pokemon rules and I'm happy to say I have almost completed them all! I still have some proofing to do (with the help of the great @Spectacles and @mewstein of course), and a lot of balancing I'm still consider (but nothing beats testing for that), but overall you can expect their release in the rather near future! This will make the lorelocke rules playable for quite a lot of games already: The Let's Go games, Gen I, Gen II, FRLG and HGSS! (I made sure they include all the evolution and pre-evolution of the Kanto and Johto pokemon to allow that). Though I've also been informed of a player using the lorelocke rules for a gen 6 game but only applying them and using the Kanto pokemon which is a wonderful idea! Still once I'll finish the Johto ones and test them myself (and hopefully get some feedback from you fine people) I plan to work on the Gen 3 pokemon next.

Also, it is time for another update! This time version 1.08. It includes quite a few fixes, many of which were born from the Johto rules I've been writing, as well some wonderful new art by mewstein! And one new rule.

Enjoy:

Version 1.08 – Update Log

Added:
Added the Lightning Bolt! Rule to the Voltrob/Electrode line.
Added Eerie new art for the Tentacool line!
Added rugged new art for the Geodude line!
Added divine new art for the Ponyta line!

Fixed:
Mankey/Primape's rule Yamachichi now says "If you fail to catch or kill it in two or less turns", to add more strategy to the decision.
Groliwthe/Arcanine's rule Haetae, Fire of Justice is clarified so that even if it is added to a party with a Dark type pokemon that was there before it, that Dark type pokemon is still killed.
Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales rule The Revontulet Aurora was changed, mainly to make this rule fit future pokemon with this lore rule (Johto teaser – Suicune).
Eevee's rule Hidden Story now also says " and if it is activated upon catching, it is activated now instead, to allow more versatile rules for the Eeveelutions themselves.
Dratini line and Lapras rule The Loch Ness Monster was added the name (Cryptid) to it, as this rule will reappear under a new name in the Johto pokemon. It now also says: " You can also sacrifice this pokemon to cancel once losing items worth a certain amount of pokeyen by a lore rule." to allow you to sell or trade services for your own rare pokemon to gain profit if you desire.
Articuno's rule Cherished by the Simurgh was also given the champion as a condition to use the golden feather.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
So since we've got Alolan forms recorded in this lorelocke, when are Galarian forms going to be added? Will that be with the Johto rules?

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
So since we've got Alolan forms recorded in this lorelocke, when are Galarian forms going to be added? Will that be with the Johto rules?
That's a great question and a great idea and I'd love to add these eventually (though sadly they won't be included with the Johto mon rules just yet). The main reason I added the Alolan forms though was to make the lorelocke rules playable for the Let's Go games (and they worked rather nicely in my Let's Go Pikachu lorelocke for example). As the Galarian forms appear so far only in Gen 8 which has a lot of pokemon I sadly haven't covered yet, I think it will take time for them to be relevant, though I'd love to do them as well eventually. Already Sirfetch'd for example fits well the "The Leek of Saint David" rule 🙂 .

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Okay, that makes sense.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
So I thought you'd like to know that in my FireRed lorelocke, I have a female Gastly with FoxFire as her lore rule, and a male Venonat with Like A Moth To Flame as his. I'm probably never going to use either, but I am shipping those two balls of purple floof so hard now and it's adorable.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
So I thought you'd like to know that in my FireRed lorelocke, I have a female Gastly with FoxFire as her lore rule, and a male Venonat with Like A Moth To Flame as his. I'm probably never going to use either, but I am shipping those two balls of purple floof so hard now and it's adorable.
Ha! I can just imagine that adorable little Venonat following Gastly everywhere it goes 😁

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Greetings all!

I'm really excited to introduce to you my greatest addition to the lorelocke rules so far: lorerules for all the pokemon from Generation II! You can almost see this as the first official expansion to the rules.

As I mentioned before, this will make the lorelocke rules fully playable for quite a lot of games already: The Let's Go games, Gen I, Gen II, FRLG and HGSS! (I made sure they include all the evolution and pre-evolution of the Kanto and Johto pokemon to allow that).

Not much else to say, just as usual to thank the great @mewstein who made all the awesome art in this project and helped me immensely in this creation. Also special thanks to @Spectacles who as usual took the time to proof, comment and give advice on all the new rules.

Also, as always, I'd love to hear your own experience with these rules. Any question you have, any comment, and idea, they are all really welcome. Feel free to write here or send me personal messages as some of you do, and I'd love to help/hear from you. The main way to make this ruleset the best it can be is to test it and tweak it, and for that I need the help of all of you wonderful people.

So here they come, link in the main page. Below is the update log itself. I jumped from 1.08 to 1.10 as it felt a big enough change to be worthy of doing so :). Enjoy!

Version 1.10 – Update Log

Added:
All the Johto pokemon lorerules! Including almost all of of their baby and evolved forms from other generations (not including Eeveeloution yet, Glaceon and Leafeon will be added in the near future!).
A new variant for the "Possible Extra Rules and Variants Appendix #2", created and inspired by Spectacle's ideas of different types of possible gameplays with a little addition of my own. (I'm always happy to hear more of these from anyone who is enjoying this ruleset. If you have any variant suggestions feel free to share and I might add them in!).

Fixed:
Moved the appendixes to the end of the document.
Chimera rule text changed to Head - Must stay in trainer battles for at least 2 consecutive turns, to make it slightly easier to use.
Living Scarab Seal rule text, made it clear that in Let's Go games you can use this pokemon if you are holding a certain item, not your pokemon (who are unable to hold items in these games).
Dragon Ancestry rule and Worm of Linton / Worm of Lambton rule, changed so that the added Dragon type is considered that pokemon's main type (relevant due to rules such as Echinemon, Chosen of Apollo and Karura/Garuda Ancestry).
Living God rule of Mewtwo, also added "Can’t have any other legendary pokemon in your party.".
Fixed lots of spelling errors, changed formatting a bit and reordered some of older the rules.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Hi folks!

First of all I wanted to tell you how much I loved hearing your positive feedback lately, and generally hearing from you guys out there that are enjoying this ruleset. Do keep sharing your stories! It both helps me make these rules better (as you can see here), and keeps me motivated to keep updating and adding new rules all the time.

Speaking of which, some good long-term news: I officially started working on the Gen III pokemon lore rules! Don't expect anything in the near future. Like you saw with my Johto mons project, this thing takes a lot of time. But I'm already really enjoying digging deeply into the lore of these pokemon, and if you'll be interesting I'll keep you updated and give you some teasers over time.

And now, for update 1.11, which includes quite a lot of balances/changes as well as some great new art.

Version 1.11 - Update Log
Added:
Added Traveler to the Afterlife lore rule to Beedrill to balance other changes. (Based on Celtic and Greek traditions and the "Telling the Bees" belief).
Godly new art for the Slowpoke line!
Attractive new art for the Magnemite line!
Dazzling new art for Farfetch'd!
Aggressive new art for the Dodou line!
Touching new art for the Seel line!
Vile new art for the Grimer line!
(No need to remind you guys as I'm sure you all recognize the talent, but all of the awesome art is made by the ultra talented @mewstein )
Added the Sentret line rules (I forgot to put them in the file in version 1.10! I have no idea how that happened).
Added Lorerules Dupes variant to the variant appendix, suggested by @11wildy

Fixed:
Changed Astomi rule of Chikorita to include Apricorns as well to make it more relevant to Gen 4 games. (Tip - I've been given some feedback that this lore rule can be hard, but the key is just getting an Apricorn in gen 4/ and psnberry in gen 2 as soon as you can and then you are more or less safe as long as you don't deal with poison types, and later on you can even give your mon an Incense and use the held item slot. This is the sort of rule that mainly makes the early game harder). (thanks to @CasualGameFreak ).
Changed the Gift of the Kappa to make it more balanced and interesting and decrease the chances of it doing nothing. "When you catch Psyduck/Golduck you lose 6 berries and/or healing items of your choice. If you can’t pay, Psyduck/Golduck gains the Kappa Ambush lore rule instead. If you do pay, 50% that you are granted a gift of your choice: Either you may choose to cancel the effects of one the lore rules of another random pokemon in your party permanently, or resurrect a pokemon that died from a lore rule."
Changed the The Fingers of Sedna rule of Seel/Dewgong to be more conditional, yet more practical, useful and a bit clearer, and changed it into a "Chosen" rule.
Changed Blood Thirst once more to make it less annoying to track and this time say "If this pokemon kills a pokemon in battle, it must stay in and kill a second pokemon (if that trainer has any). If it is switched out before that it is considered fatigued and can't be used in battle until you sacrifice either a non-bought revive or potions worth 2000 pokeyen."
Made Lord of Agricultural Pests both slightly harder increasing the death chance from 25% to 30%, and also a bit more rewarding once you get it by adding "When this pokemon is in your party and you encounter a Bug pokemon, you may reroll their lorerule once".
Made Bluebird of Happiness lore rule a bit less powerful (I'll be using it on Taillow/Swallow and wanted to balance it a bit).
Changed Salamander, Born from the Flames to say "Can’t use Fire and Dragon type moves" both to make it slightly harder and to make it fit a Gen 3 pokemon.
Changed the Curse of Rapunzel rule a bit.
Vile Poison can only be on Weedle and Beedrill (and not Kakuna, as it can't deal damage making the rule useless – thank to @11wildy ).
Born from Bugonia can only be on Weedle and Kakuna (and not Beedrill).
Made The Golem of Prague rule clearer (thanks to @Lorekeeper).
Made Komainu/Shisa rule clearer (thanks to @Lorekeeper).
Fixed spelling errors, changed formatting a bit and reordered some of older the rules.

As always, I'd love to hear your feedback and get suggestions either here or in any other media. Even if you just want to share your own lorelocke experiences.

See you next time!

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Made Lord of Agricultural Pests both slightly harder increasing the death chance from 25% to 30%, and also a bit more rewarding once you get it by adding "When this pokemon is in your party and you encounter a Bug pokemon, you may reroll their lorerule once".
I have a Rattata with that lore rule in my Crystal run, so that's nice to hear.

Arie Kazami

Your everyday, ordinary guy
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Just an Ordinary Trainer that doing his Nuzlocke
All these lore really incredible! Hope we can see more!

Phione Sophia

Overseer of Scribes
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 19, 2020
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
???
This ruleset is genius. It expands on what I consider to be one of the fundamental appeals of Pokemon as video game: every Pokemon you encounter is unique, and every Pokemon you catch is uniquely yours. This appeal has been apparent in Pokemon's design since Generation I, where every Pokemon has a randomized distribution of DVs. This system ensured that odds of a trainer running into exactly the same Pokemon twice were extremely low. GameFreak continued to build on this foundation with the implementation of natures and abilities, which made every Pokemon even more unique and specialized. These lore rules add even more flavor and personality to each Pokemon, more so than natures or abilities ever did in my opinion. And because you @RubyClaw have gone out your way to create several different lore rules for every Pokemon, even two otherwise comepletely identical Pokemon of the same species can be entirely distinct from one another. The amount of work that must have gone into researching the mythological inspirations for each Pokemon and writing appropriate lore rules is mind-blowing.

Also, the art by @mewstein perfectly conveys the lore behind each rule. I love Smaug-Charizard.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Comments:
@Trollkitten - Let me know how it works out for you!

@Arie Kazami - Thank you! As I mentioned above I'm currently working on the Hoenn rules and making surprisingly good progress so far. It will still take quite a lot of time, probably months, but I promise you more are coming :). Many new pokemon got lots of old lorerules as well which does make it a bit faster. You know what? Since you showed interest I'll give you guys a little teaser in the end of this post of the Carvanha/Sharpedo rules as an example.

@Phione Sophia - Hi there! First of all nice to meet you, and thank you so much for your kind words! They really motivate me to create more content for you guys to enjoy. As I mentioned in the past this project probably took hundreds of hours to make, but I enjoyed almost every moment, especially the lore researching behind the pokemon and other related myths, but also trying to balance the gameplay itself is a really fascinating challenge trying to predict the outcome of so many "mini rules" on the classical Nuzlocke experience. That's really interesting to hear that one of your main appeals with the lorelocke rules is the variety they provide, I admit this is not necessarily the first thing that comes to mind for me, but is pleasing side effect of the rules. I did set out with a goal that each pokemon you catch in your journey will get its own unique story in a way. In earlier versions of these rules many pokemon had 2 lorerules, but over time for that exact reason I made it a rule to make sure every pokemon has at least 3 possible lore rules, and I believe the average currently stands on around 4, with some pokemon having as many as 6 possible lorerules. In case you are wondering there are two main reasons why pokemon have less lore rules A) I just couldn't find enough mythological and folklore inspirations that justified adding more rules B) The more common reason -I felt that certain rules just represent certain pokemon too well and wanted to increase the odds of them appearing. Another way I solved this issue was by making more than one rule that is based on the mythological inspiration I wanted this pokemon to represent, e.g. two Kappa based rules for Psyduck/Golduck and two Manekineko based rules for Meowth. But I'm getting off topic, again thanks so much for you support (and no doubt @mewstein makes some great art!). I'll be happy to hear any feedback from your games as always.

And as you guys showed interest in my current progress I thought I'll share with you a teaser for the Carvanha/Sharpedo rules. It is a good example as it has two new rules (Samebito / Koijin and Isonade) and two recurring rules, as many Hoenn pokemon have.

Carvanha, Sharpedo (Work in progress, some of these rules might change a bit)​
1) Child of Punga​
This pokemon is extremely ugly and unpleasant for others to be around. As long as this pokemon was used in battle when trying to catch a pokemon, 25% that you can’t catch that pokemon. When it is switched out in a trainer battle your next pokemon can't use any move next turn, unless it is a pokemon from one of these egg groups: Water 1, Water 2, Water 3, Dragon, or Monster.​
2) Samebito / Koijin - (Do check this myth if you have time, I really love it. And spoiler - I also gave this rule to Sabeleye)​
Only comes in effect as a Sharpedo. This pokemon cries precious stones. If Sharpedo is in your party and another pokemon in your party dies in battle, you get a Gem. After every gym battle you win using Sharpedo in battle for at least three turns, you get a Gem. These Gems can be treated either as a Nugget or an item worth 5,000 pokeyen for the purpose of any lore rules. Must know a Water type move if possible. Must know a Dark type move if possible.​
3) Insatiable Hunger​
Every time it reaches a level that is completely divisible by 10 (10,20,30... and so on) it gets struck by a terrible hunger. You must then either sacrifice a non-Steel pokemon for it to eat, or throw away items worth 20,000 to buy it enough food. ​
4) Isonade​
This sea predator uses stealth to surprise its prey. If this pokemon leads the battle the first move it uses can’t be a damage dealing one. Must stay in trainer battles for at least 2 consecutive turns before it can be switched out.​

Finally I wanted to mention that I got a few rule suggestions lately from you guys. That's always great, and even though I don't add all of them in, some do make the cut in one version or another, and all of them inspire me to make new rules, so feel free and encouraged to do so!

See you guys next time.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
So, uh... there's an issue with one of Omanyte's rules.

Lore rule: Yaoshikepu
Omanyte/Omastar may only be used if it has at least one Poison type move or is carrying a Poison Barb.
The issue is that Omanyte/Omastar does not learn any Poison type moves, cannot have any held items in RGBY or LGPE, and in FRLG, the Poison Barb can only be obtained as a 5% held item chance with wild Arbok. Meaning that if you get this lore rule in a Kanto game, you're basically unable to use Omanyte at all.

RadiantBeam

Evil Good
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water
@RubyClaw I'll definitely check out your run! I'm still reading the rules, but this seems genuinely fascinating and I'd love to see it in action.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
@Trollkitten - If I'm not mistaken it can learn Toxic in every generation through TM making it usable, right? If I'm missing something do let me know and I'll fix that.

@RadiantBeam - Thank you very much! I sadly was really busy lately and didn't have much time to work on Kantonian Fables, but I do hope that once things will settle in RL for me in a few months I'll get back to it with full force, and comments like yours really give me motivation to do so.

In case you are wondering btw I'm still working on the Gen 3 lorelocke rules. I made some great progress, but then life got super busy and things slowed down, but you have my word that I'm still totally on it. And as a gesture of good faith, why won't I give you another one of the Gen 3 mons I've been working on as a little teaser?

Relicanth (Its still a draft, might change it a bit).
1) Cetus ​
This pokemon is a vicious sea monster and in order to join you and be caught requires you to sacrifice one of your pokemon. You may ignore this rule by vanquishing and taming this pokemon if a Fighting type pokemon you own has hit this pokemon at least once while trying to catch it. ​
2) Old Man of the Sea​
This pokemon is a very wise, old and elusive shapeshifter, whose wisdom can only be obtained once captured. You can only catch this pokemon if you use on it at least 3 moves of different types while trying to catch it (not necessarily damage dealing moves) and it is under a status effect. Once captured you may put one counter/token on a pokemon of yours who accumulates counters as part of a lore rule cancels itself or its negative effect, or gives you a positive effect (any “quest” of sort. For example Natu’s Living Totem rule or Lileep’s St Cuthbert’s Beads). You may choose the lorerule of your next two encounters.​
3) Bishop Fish / Monk Fish (Do google this one out).​
This pokemon is a bizarre cross between a holy man and a fish that was accidentally fished from the depth. If you have a Psychic type pokemon in your party 50% that Relicanth must be released from the party right after you catch it. Can’t be Wedlocked. Must know a Psychic type move if possible. When this pokemon is used in battle not in the Water/Rain it can only stay in battle for 4 consecutive turns before it must be switched out. If it is not (even if it can't), it dies in the end of battle. Loses all negative effects if there is another Psychic type pokemon in your party.​
4) Living Precursor​
This rare and ancient pokemon hasn't changed for ages and is slow to adapt, yet is a source for great knowledge about its kind. Can only learn one new TM/HM/Move Tutor move once every level that is completely divisible by 10 (30,40,50 etc). Must know Ancient Power if possible. As long as it is in your party, you may cancel the lorerules of every pokemon that shares a type with Relicanth that is in your party.​

Keep on enjoying the rules and see you guys in update 1.12!​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)