• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Ruleset The Lorelocke - Version 1.12. Lots of new art and a few fixes.

Thread Description
A Mythology and Folklore based massive ruleset

NeoShade

PARSER ERROR
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 19, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him/his
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Tends to shy away from humans. Able to procrastinate for up to a year at a time.
Oh man! I have to try this in Let's Go Eevee now! Familiar Spirit is a fantastic addition to the Lorelocke.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Bluebirdi3 - Sounds great, I'll keep those rule ideas in mind when working on the next Gens and try to find a suiting lore.

@Lumaeus - Thank you so much! I'd love you to try and I'll be super honored. It really was a labor of love, and even though it took forever to make I enjoyed every minute of it, especially the mythology and folklore research. Can't wait to start making Gen II next. Already started the researching part.

@NeoShade - That would be awesome! Glad I added this update in that case. I was initially planning to use these rules for LGP Pikachu btw (that's how it all started), but eventually decided a posted run of Leaf Green would be easier for folks to follow and for to demonstrate the rules with. Still, I plan once I'll have enough time to do another run of LGP with these rules.

And quite soon after 1.01, I present to you update 1.02, which is actually a single rule change (inspired by a remark by @Spectacles ). Your comments, rule proofing and play testing really helps my dear viewers. Here's the update log (also I accidentally put a Publisher document last update, this one is PDF so you could all read it, thanks @mewstein for catching that).

Version 1.02 - Update Log:

Fixed:
Griffin Ancestry rule fixed - To make it easier to follow and understand assuming one of your first mons has this rule, you now only Wedlocke this pokemon after you can pay the initial cost, so if you can't pay this amount it goes into the box and will only become Wedlocked once you can pay for it.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I'm looking forward to the Gen 2 lorelocke. I couldn't start a lorelocke for Gen 1 because I was already halfway through with my Let's Go Eevee nuzlocke, but I might be able to do a lorelocke of HeartGold once the Gen 2 rules come out.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
@Trollkitten - Well this gives me even more motivation to work on the Johto mons in that case! I'm doing it as we speak, but much like the original rules, this will take quite some time to complete as I'm doing the research and trying to balance the different mons for the different games in which you can get then, and according to their different movesets. But do stay tuned!

Good news, update 1.03 is up and ready, get it while it is hot! Again, if any of you guys plan to use this ruleset and having any questions please ask, and if you want to share your experience I'd be delighted to hear! Same for any comments and suggestions.

Version 1.03 – Update log
In my goal to eventually add the Johto pokemon next I decided to start with pokemon who are in the same evolutionary line as Gen I pokemon)

Added:
New awesome art for the Vulpix line.
New beautiful art for the Jigglypuff line.
New stunning art for the Zubat line.
New great art for the Oddish Line.
Added a unique rule for Steelix (Nehushtan )
Added a unique rule for Bellossom (Hula Dancer)

Fixes:
Made Vile Poison slightly more dangerous for all pokemon with this rule (Increased chance of death if the damaged pokemon was poisoned in battle).
A few graphical and design fixes.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
...is this a bad time to say that now I'm hoping to do an Omega Ruby lorelocke instead? (Whatever I do wind up doing will depend on several factors, some of which are beyond my control, but I do want to do another Omega Ruby run at some point in time, since it's one of my favorite games and my original Omega Ruby run was a wonderlocke.)

Lumaeus

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is trying its best to fight the good fight.
I was going to write this on your run where you made the suggestion that I do a Let's Go run with this, but I'll ask here instead since it might be more helpful to others. What would your suggested rules be for translating the Nuzlocke elements to Let's Go in order to best facilitate this kind of run? Obviously, some Lorelocke rules would have to be cut out, like Vile Poison, since there's no battling most wilds.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
@Trollkitten - Oh an Omega Ruby Lorelocke would be great! Unfortunately I have already began working on the Gen II pokemon so I do believe I'll finish them first, and only then move to Gen III pokemon. On the other hand Omega Ruby has quite a lot of Gen II pokemon as well so it will be necessary to do both gens before one could use these rules for this game anyway. So I'm afraid it will probably take me some take to make lorerules for all the pokemon that appear in this game, but stay tuned as I totally plan on doing just that eventually.

@Lumaeus - Great question! Well I know you are planning on partially blinding such a game so I'll avoid too many examples, but you'll be pleasantly surprised to hear I originally planned using the lorelocke rules for an LGP game myself (and am still planning to do that eventually) and therefore tried to design most of them with that thought in mind. I'll give you an example using a lore rule you know - Vile Poison. Let's check out the text:

2) Vile Poison
When you catch this pokemon, there is a 30% chance for every non-Poison/Steel pokemon that was damaged by this pokemon (or for the pokemon who leads the party in Let’s Go) to die from the deadly poison. (after the battle). If that pokemon was also poisoned in-game, change that to 50% to die.

Now as you see I made a clause that allows you to play it differently for a Let's Go game. It's not the most elegant solution, but it will work and makes some sense. I hopefully did the same for all the lorerules, but hi if you ever plan to play it (please do :)! I'd love to see/hear how it goes) I could use your remarks for any such a rules I missed.

Also, suggested by @Zorua3 I recently added special rules for the partner pokemon to balance how over powered they seem to be (especially Eevee if you ask me).

Another note that is relevant both here in and Gen I lorelockes - some rules are indeed unplayable under some games. An example that fits both are rules that require the game to have a day/night cycle, and rules that require the game to have held items. In both cases if you get such a rule, just re-roll for another rule (I tried to write in all of my rules whether this rule doesn't fit such a game). If only part of the rule requires such an element I suggest just ignoring that specific part, but you can also choose to re-roll the entire rule if you think that's best.

Finally when it comes to which rules to use along with the lorelocke rules, I personally suggest: Dupes Clause, playing on Set, and if you are a fanatic like me you can totally ban exp-catching for grinding in LGP/E, but that might be a bit too crazy (an example for a run in which I did that - The Guide to the Let's Go Nuzlocker). Other than that there are the classic item limitations, max level limitations, etc, but that's more about the level of challenge you want and is different for every game/player.

Good luck! I'll be happy to help if you have any more questions.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
One question regarding "Babi's Champion" -- when it says "Whenever a Pokemon you own dies, you must switch out to this Pokemon," does that mean switch to Babi's Champion in battle, or replace the dead Pokemon with Babi's Champion from the PC? Or both?

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
One question regarding "Babi's Champion" -- when it says "Whenever a Pokemon you own dies, you must switch out to this Pokemon," does that mean switch to Babi's Champion in battle, or replace the dead Pokemon with Babi's Champion from the PC? Or both?
Good question. The meaning is to switch out in battle, so if one of your pokemon dies you must immediately switch to Mankey/Primeape. Next action though you can switch to another pokemon if you want, attack, or do as you please. I changed the text a bit to make it clearer and will post it along the version 1.04 changes (expect a lot of new awesome art by @mewstein to be included in it as well).

I'm working these days on the Johto pokemon. It will of course take a while, but I have made pretty good progress so far. I thought I'll share two evolutionary lines with you for your enjoyment, and as usual if you guys have any comments, questions or ideas yourselves for rules or interesting mythologies and origins I'd love to hear them.

Natu, Xatu
1) Montezuma’s Feathers (Symbol Of Imperial Authority )

This proud Pokemon demands to be the figurehead of your party. It must be the first on your team whenever you battle Gym Leaders, the Champion, or your Rival. (Can’t have two pokemon with this rule in your party).
2) Kachina
Comes in effect as a Xatu - As long as Xatu is in your party, you must have at least one other female pokemon in your party, and it must hold a Kachina doll (represented by a held pokeball). Cancel that pokemon’s lorerules as long as it is holding the doll and Xatu is in your party. Xatu must know at least 1 Ghost type move if possible. Must know at least 1 Water, Fire, Grass or Electric type move if possible.
3) Living Totem
Whenever one of these events happens when Natu/Xatu is in the party put a totem on it: A Gym leader is defeated, a pokemon in your party fully evolves, two or more pokemon you own die in battle. Natu/Xatu can't be healed in battle until it has 4 totems, and can’t use held items or TMs until it has 8 totems. When it has 10 totems you may ignore every negative lore rule of every pokemon in your party that shares a type with a move of Natu/Xatu.
4) Sun Gazing
(Reroll if this game has no day/night cycle). Must know at least one of these moves if possible and open every trainer battle with one of them: Sunny Day, Future Sight, Flash, Calm Mind, Light Screen, Reflect, Solar Beam, Miracle Eye. Can’t be removed from your party in the day. Can’t be switched out of battle until it has been in battle for at least 3 turns, when fighting outdoors during the day.

Sunkern, Sunflora
1) Seed of Hope*

When this pokemon evolves, if it is at level 30 or after, 50% that you may cancel the lore rule of a pokemon of your choice. +5% to this chance for every Vitamin and Rare Candy used on Sunkern before it evolved.
2) The Yearning of Clytie
This pokemon yearns to be as close as it can to its Sunny lover. Can only be in your party if you have a Fire type pokemon, or a pokemon with a Fire Type move that is holding a Sun Stone.
3) Turnsole
This pokemon can’t leave the rays of the Sun once it is exposed to them, and most follow them. It can’t be switched out of battle if you are fighting in an outside area (in games with Day/Night this is only true in the day).
4) Chosen of Nanahuatzin
While this pokemon is in your party you may cancel the lore rule of every other Grass and Fire pokemon in your party and the effect of lore rules of Grass and Fire type pokemon as you catch them. Must know the move Sunny Day if possible. Must know the move Solar Beam if possible. If you are required to kill a pokemon of your choice for any reason, you must choose Sunflora/Sunkern if possible. Can’t be switched out against Fire type pokemon.

*Sunkern only

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Hi all! Hope you guys are enjoying the lorelocke so far, whether it by playing or reading this massive ruleset. I'm still slowly working on the Johto mons, I'd say I'm about 30% done at this point. Researching the lore and balancing the rules can take quite a lot of time! I can share with you guys the process at some point if you'll be interested.

Anyway it's time for another updated version with tons of new amazing art from @mewstein and two new rules! BTW the document is starting to get a bit heavy so it any of you guys have any problem I can either send it to you directly if you'll want, or if there will be a request I'll make another text based version as well for people with weaker PCs or problematic internet connections.

Enjoy!

Version 1.04 – Update log

Added:
Added the Horn of Plenty and Insatiable Hunger rules for the Bellsprout line.
Medusa Ancestry rule changed to include confusion and added to the Tentacool line (was originally only in the Tangela line).
New creepy art for the Paras line.
New ominous-looking art for the Veonant line.
New fearsome art for the Diglett line.
New inspiring art for the Meowth line.
New traditional art for the Psyduck line.
New mythological art for the Mankey line.
New imperial art for the Growlithe line.

Fixed:
Changed the Keukegen rule to be Venonat only.
Made the text in the Babi's Champion rule clearer.
A few other minor graphical and text fixes.

Last edited:

mewstein

Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
The new Johto rules look like very solid additions to the compendium - I'm a big fan of the cumulative rules like Living Totem as they add a nice narrative feel and reward trainers down the road as the tokens stack up.

What might be useful is to include on this thread (and also in the Lorelocke doc) a master list of Pokemon affected by the Won't Follow A Commoner or Imperial Authority rules, and other rules that affect multiple Pokemon in a similar way as a quick-reference guide for readers. I also think it might be worth figuring out some sort of blanket mechanic to allow folk trying out the Lorelocke rules under non-Nuzlocke settings, so that Pokemon are only essentially dead if they run afoul of a Lore rule, and add that to the Lorelocke doc's introduction.

For your next set of Johto rules could I request you post the starters, and also the legendary dogs if you have them? Maybe a neat concept for the latter could be something linked to husky sled racing, where the more Legendary dogs you have on your team, the better the concequences. Also an idea to build on from the Seed of Hope mechanic, how about a Pokemon where each time you use a stat-boosting power-up or rare candy on it, you get a 50% shot at cancelling a Lorelocke rule?

All in all keep up the great work, I'll keep a note of any more ideas I have and do a brain-dump when I have enough to make a decent-sized post.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
So, I don't know if this has been answered yet, but I'm curious. I just caught an Oddish, and there are different lore rules for Oddish's evolutions than for Oddish itself. Does Oddish keep its original lore rule upon evolving, or will it have to reroll lore rules upon becoming a Gloom?

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Greetings all, a few little updates. But let's first with the replies and answers:

@mewstein - Thank you! Indeed I try to balance "quest" rules which have a lot of flavor but require the player to remember a long mechanism, with simpler shorter rules, to make your party diverse. Living totem is indeed one of my favorites as well. I like your idea about the master list, might do that later, but it also gave me an idea for a future rule balance to make Royal Ancestry rule a bit more relevant. About non-Nuzlocking the lorelocke that might be a bit hard to balance, but technically I guess you are right as long as the "one catch per route" rule, you don't have to play with the "if it faints it dies" and add the lorerules as the only source of deaths. Still in the end of course I have made these rules with Nuzlockes in mind, but everyone playing these rules should find the version they enjoy the most and add/remove any rules on top of the lorelockes rules to make the experience as fun and interesting to them as they can.
Well your wish is my command! I'll start with the starters for now, check out the rest of the thread to see them :).

@Trollkitten - Good question, one that I have been asked more than once by you guys (Which shows me I should really try and make the answer clearer in my rule file, I take the blame). It is written in the rules but that document is so long one can easily get lost in it. Anyway the answer is: once you encounter a pokemon its lore rule is randomized. Once you catch it the rule comes into effect including some of the randomization (like Vile Poison). A pokemon doesn't change its lorerule unless another lorerule says so, meaning evolution by itself doesn't change the lore rule of the pokemon. The rules I made for Gloom/Vileplume for example are only in case you catch one of these pokemon at this form, or if something says to rerandomize a lorerule (like magical inspirational metamorphosis). But you made me think a bit about the Oddish line in this aspect, and I believe I might change that for one of the rules there in update 1.05.

Speaking of which I just wanted to share that I started my very own unposted Let's Go Pikachu lorelocke run (along with my posted Kanotnian Fables Leaf Green lorelocke run of course). I'm enjoying it quite a lot, just defeated Surge recently. I'm also playing with the "no-exp-catch" rule to make it even more challenging. Anyway I have learned from this gameplay a lot about some of the rules I didn't get to try before, and have gained many insights and ideas for little rule tweaks and balances I want to do. I also got lots of feedback from you guys who had been using the lorelocke rules for your own runs (thank you all so much! Keep playing and enjoying, and do share your stories with me, your part in this project is really important), and you guys also gave me a few ideas for rule changes. So expect version 1.05 which will be coming in the near future to contain a lot of rule changes and balances that will hopefully make the gameplay more interesting!

And finally, another teaser requested here. I'm still working on the Johto mons lorerules, but I have finished the lorerules for the three starter lines! (I don' work on the rules by pokedex order if you wondered). This is not the final version as I might choose to change a rule or two, but here you go, hope you'll enjoy:

Chikorita, Bayleaf, Meganium:
1) The Magical Chicory* - (Relevant only in games with HMs, if not reroll) This monster has the magical abilities of the Chicory to open all doors and pathways. Must know at least 2 HM moves at all times and open every indoors battles using one of them. Can’t use Light Screen or Reflect. When it dies you can save the essence of this pokemon, and use it once to save a pokemon from dying from a lore rule.
2) Late Bloomer* - Whenever it is supposed to evolve, 80% that it fails. Decrease these chances by 10% next time for every time it has failed to evolve into this current form, and reset this when it evolves (e.g.Chikorita level 16 wants to evolve, rolls 80% and fails. Level 17 wants to evolve, rolls 70% fails. Level 18 wants to evolve rolls 60% and makes it. Get to be a level 32 and wants to evolve, again 80% to fail and so on).
3) True Zoophyte - When this pokemon is used in battle on man-made floor it can only stay in battle for 3 consecutive turns before it must be switched out. If it is not (even if it can't), it dies in the end of battle.
4) Astomi - This pokemon doesn’t eat or drink and only survives by smelling certain foods. Must always hold a berry, Big Root, or an Incense. If it ever consumes that berry switch it out and it dies in the end of battle. If it is ever hit by one of these moves switch it out immediately and it dies in the end of battle: Smelling Salts, Smokescreen, Clear Smog, Smog and Poison Gas.
5) Laurel Wreath (Symbol Of Imperial Authority)
This proud Pokemon demands to be the figurehead of your party. It must be the first on your team whenever you battle Gym Leaders, the Champion, or your Rival. Can’t have two pokemon with this rule in your party. It is also considered Royalty for Royal Ancestry rule.

*Chikorita only

Cyndaquil, Quilava, Typhlosion
1) Descendant of Echidna

This pokemon is part of a great family of monsters, and is very defensive of its kin. As long as it is in your party, whenever you catch a new pokemon 25% that it is related to Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion. If a pokemon related to it is wounded into red HP or dies in battle, you must immediately switch to Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion if possible. Then you must either avenge it by killing the pokemon who wounded/killed it (if relevant and that pokemon is still out and alive), or use your first turn to heal the wounded relative back to full health (if possible and your kin pokemon is wounded and not dead).
2) Descendant of Thypon
This pokemon is a destructive force of chaos. Must stay in battle for at least two consecutive turns before it can be switched out. Must know one move of every type if possible. If it is hit by an Electric type move, you must switch it out as soon as possible and you can’t switch it in, and it dies in the end of battle.
3) The Gluttonous Surplus Killer
While it is in your party, whenever you add a new non-Steel non-Poison pokemon to your party that is lower leveled than Cyndaquil/Quilava/Tyhplosion, 10% that it eats that pokemon. When Cyndaquil/Quilava/Tyhplosion kills its first pokemon in battle it must stay for at least 3 more turns in battle.
4) The Porcupine and the Snakes
This pokemon has no regard for the needs of others and can often physically push them away and harm them. Whenever you add a pokemon to your party 20% that it can’t stand the presence of Cyndaquil/Quilava/Tyhplosion and can’t be in the same party with it for the rest of the game. When you add Cyndaquil/Quilava/Tyhplosion to a party roll the same for each member of your party.

Totodile, Croconaw, Feraligator
1) Troglodyte

In open areas – in a game with day/night cycles can only be used in the night. In a game without – can be used for 3 consecutive turns, then must be returned as soon as possible. Must know at least two moves from these types if possible: Ground, Rock, Fighting and/or Steel. Can’t know more than 1 Special move.
2) Zipacna / Cipactli / Tlaltecuhtli
This pokemon is an ever hungry crocodilian sea and earth monster. Must know a Ground type move if possible. Must know a Water type move if possible. Every time it reaches a level that is completely divided by 10 (10,20,30... and so on) it gets struck by a terrible hunger. You must then either sacrifice a non-Steel pokemon for it to eat, or throw away items worth 20,000 to buy it enough food.
3) Waniguchi
Must know a Steel type move if possible. Must know one of these moves if possible: Screech, Roar, Round, Snore or Uproar. Can’t know Dark type moves or be in the same party as a Dark type pokemon.
4) The Tanninim of Tiamat (Chosen of Tiamat)
While this pokemon is in your party you may cancel the lore rule of every other Water pokemon in your party and the effect of lore rules of Water type pokemon as you catch them. Must know a Poison or Dragon type move if possible. Is considered Dragon, Poison and Water type for the purpose of lore rules. When Totodile/Croconaw/Feraliagtor dies, choose a Water type pokemon and a Flying type pokemon you have, or had and died due to a lorerule. You may revive each of these pokemon and reroll its lorerule, or just reroll its lore rule if it is alive. If the new lore rule is activated upon catching, it is then activated again.

Here you go. See you next time in update 1.05, and I'm here as usual if you have any questions/suggestions!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
So I've got another Lorelocke question: "The Eye of Horus" states "Choose a Pokemon -- this Pokemon is guarded -- cancel the effect of the lore rule of this Pokemon as long as Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot is in the party with it. When this Pokemon dies or leaves the party this effect is canceled forever." Does the last line refer to the Pokemon whose lore rule is canceled, or to Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot?

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
So I've got another Lorelocke question: "The Eye of Horus" states "Choose a Pokemon -- this Pokemon is guarded -- cancel the effect of the lore rule of this Pokemon as long as Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot is in the party with it. When this Pokemon dies or leaves the party this effect is canceled forever." Does the last line refer to the Pokemon whose lore rule is canceled, or to Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot?
Yeah, with limited text to fit it all in one page I agree this can be confusing. The answer is - the guarded pokemon. So as long as they are both together in the same party the guarded effect works, if Pidgey leaves and reenters the party the rule is will come in effect the moment it returns. If however the guarded pokemon either dies or leaves the party this effect is over (meaning you can't choose a new guarded pokemon). I'll change the text a bit to make it clearer for update 1.05 🙂

mewstein

Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
The Gluttonous Surplus Killer could be very interesting for cyndaquil as I'd imagine folk would want to keep a powerful fire-type starter for as long as possible.
For Late Bloomer I'd set a floor to this rule of 50% so that once it hits level 19 there remains a 50% chance that it just won't evolve - it could really get a player to think hard about whether to risk investing time and effort training a Pokemon that may never reach full strength.
Astomi is a great rule for Johto! Again to make it a little more harsh, hw about the Pokemon can only hold a status-healing berry - that way the trainer will be forced to avoid opponents which can inflict poison, confusion etc.
Zipacna / Cipactli / Tlaltecuhtli would work really well for Mudkip's family too given the ground-type theme. Keeping that little guy fed could get expensive...

As far as general Johto rules go, how about one which only permits a Pokemon to be captured using a ball created from an Apricorn (and disallow Pokeballs, Greatballs and Ultraballs in other regions)?

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Yeah, with limited text to fit it all in one page I agree this can be confusing. The answer is - the guarded pokemon. So as long as they are both together in the same party the guarded effect works, if Pidgey leaves and reenters the party the rule is will come in effect the moment it returns. If however the guarded pokemon either dies or leaves the party this effect is over (meaning you can't choose a new guarded pokemon). I'll change the text a bit to make it clearer for update 1.05 🙂
Thanks for the clarification.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Hi all, I give you another lorelocke rules update. This time along with more amazing art by @mewstein (I really think she outdid herself with these ones) I focused mainly on fixing rules, making them clearer for bizarre scenarios, and balancing them. This is somewhat based on another test run I'm doing with the lorelocke rules playing Let's Go Pikachu, as well as the great input I have gained from you guys from your messages here and your PMs about your own runs with these rules. Keep it up! It is super helpful to know how you guys are doing and may many more join and enjoy these rules.

Version 1.05 – Update log

Added:
Added the Chimera rule for the Sandshrew, Alolan Sandshrew, Drowzee and Slowpoke lines.

Royal new art for the Poliwag line.

Magical new art for the Abra line.

Fixed:

Griffin Ancestry rule changed and rebalanced (You immediately Wedlocke this pokemon when you catch it. You have to pay either the Nugget or 10,000 pokeyen only when it evolves, not when catching it. This is to avoid too much early game money shenanigans).

Symbol of Imperial Authority changed to include "It is considered Royalty for Royal Ancestry rule". This is because not enough pokemon seem to have the Royal Ancestry rule for it to work as planned, and thematically is because these pokemon are considered part of the loyal imperial servants of the royals, and are therefore trusted by them.

Kappa Ambush made slightly deadlier.

Blood Thirst made more grinding friendly being relevant to trainer battles only, however will now always cost you to get your pokemon back into action.

Humpty Dumpty rule made slightly deadlier (50% instead of 25% to die if forcibly switched).

Sazae-Oni rule slightly deadlier (50% instead of 33%).

Grace of the Koi rule slightly changed and made clearer.

Dragon Ancestry rule and Worm of Linton / Worm of Lambton rule, added extra effects (Must know a Dragon type move if possible, and is considered Dragon type for lorerule purposes).

Living Igloo rule added Mirror Coat, Substitute, Safeguard and Protect as more possible moves, as Defense Curl isn't available in some of the games early enough (such as the Let's Go Pikachu Alolan trade).

Haetae, Fire of Justice rule changed so it will be clear Growlithe/Arcanine can't kill itself, and that the rule includes deaths through capture lorerules like Vile Poison. Changed it to come into effect even as a Growlithe to make it more relevant.

Personal Guardian rule changed to include dungeons and evil team bases.

Troll Blood rule made clearer.

Wedding Bell rule made clearer.

The Eye of Horus (Chosen of Horus) rule made clearer.

Added the Corpse Flower rule to Oddish, which comes in effect as it evolves.

Fixed spelling errors, changed formatting a bit and reordered some of the rules.

(P.S. Still working on he Johto lorerules if you are wondering, might tease more of them later on).

Zorua3

On-and-off Nuzlocker
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Dark
Pokédex Entry
I'd copy-paste the Zorua Pokedex entry, but I'm too lazy.
Question. For Psyduck's Gift of the Kappa (Lose 10 berries of your choice (or 10 healing items in a game without berries). You may choose to cancel the effects of one the lore rule of a random pokemon in your party permanently, or try and resurrect a pokemon that died from a lore rule with 50% success.), is it something you can only do once? I assume so, because otherwise it would be really OP, but the rule isn't too clear.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
@Zorua3 - Good question. Indeed you can only do it once, and only when you catch it (I used the old wording in this rule as it is one of the earlier ones I wrote). I fixed it to start with "When you catch Psyduck/Golduck" to make it clearer, so thanks!

On an unrelated note I'm still working on the Johto lorerules (as well as on update 1.06 so any feedback from you guys always helps), and as in some parts of the world the witch season is upon us (not over here though), I thought this would be a great time to give you a peek into the Mismagius line!

Misdreavus, Mismagius
1) Wail of the Banshee

When you catch Misdreavus/Mismagius, kill one random pokemon you own (randomize from both box and party 1 pokemon).
2) Living Spell
This pokemon is a powerful spell that has formed a life of its own. Randomize: A) It’s a curse. When you catch it randomize a pokemon from your party. Both Misdreavus/Mismagius and that pokemon must stay at your party at all times and when one of them dies, so does the other. B) It’s an enchantment. Choose another pokemon in your party, as long as Misdreavus/Mismagiusis in your party cancel all the negative effects of the lore rule of that pokemon, and both it and Misdreavus/Mismagius must always be in the same party together.
3) Nukekubi (Blood Thirst)
Must kill a pokemon in every trainer battle it attends. If not, it is considered fatigued and can't be used in battle until you sacrifice either a non-bought revive or potions worth 2000 pokeyen.
4) Nasu Baba
This pokemon is a shy and ugly hag ghost that doesn’t like to bee seen by mortals. Can’t use Physical attacks. In open areas – in a game with day/night cycles can only be used in the night. In a game without – can be used for 3 consecutive turns, then it must be switched out as soon as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)