• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Ruleset The Lorelocke - Version 1.12. Lots of new art and a few fixes.

Thread Description
A Mythology and Folklore based massive ruleset

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
The Lorelocke - Folklore and Mythology meet Nuzlocke

This is an original Nuzlocke ruleset that is added on top of the existing classical Nuzlocke rules we all know (first catch per route, if it faints - it dies). It is a massive ruleset in size, 145 pages long, but fear not as using it doesn't require reading all these pages, just the relevant rules every time. It is the biggest ruleset I have created and took a lot of time to make, and yet it is also a work in progress that keeps growing and evolving. I really hope you guys will enjoy it and use it, and I'll be more than happy to hear your stories using these rules or help you use them. The rules themselves are attached as a link in the end of the post. I present to you: The Lorelocke.

Pokemon are monsters, creatures of fantasy. True, some are based on rare beasts or mundane things such as common animals or objects, still many of them are based on yokai and other creatures of legend that inspired folk stories for many ages. When playing a Pokemon game, one rarely gets the sense of wonder and folkore you would expect from playing a role playing game with such fantastical creatures, each with their own story, background, traits and weaknesses like is often the case for such creatures in their original mythologies.

I want to capture this sense of taming feral mystical rare creatures, facing their fearsome powers, following quests with and for them, and overall expanding the mythological lore of the Nuzlocke experience.

The idea is to give each pokemon, according to their species and mostly according to their mythological origins or similar creature from folktale, an extra lore-rule. This rule can be a backstory of this pokemon, a trait it has as it is a mythical creature, or a desire/quest it needs to obtain. Most of these will be negative at their base to make this ruleset challenging and hopefully interesting, but a few will be positive to balance it out and make them stand out.

To keep things none deterministic I'll put at least three options for each pokemon, often more, which you randomize and reveal when you first encounter it. The effect of this lore rule only comes to affect when it is captured by you (and you can therefore choose to avoid catching it if you want, and lose your encounter). In the future I will add even more lore-rules for older pokemon for even more variety. The lore rule is determined according to the pokemon species and doesn’t change, not even when that pokemon evolves.

Most of the lore-rules are based on specific legends or mythical traits that are related to these creatures. If you are curious about any of them feel free to ask me and I'll be happy to share, and if I made you google up some interesting folklore stories that's even better!

I have used these rule in my unposted Let's Go Pikachu run (see my Hall of Fame for the record of it) and my posted Leaf Green run Kantonian Fables so started by doing all the Kanto pokemon and their Alolan forms (which is a lot as is! And took me a few months to make), but I'll add the rest of the pokemon over time (especially if you guys will take interest in this project). Making this ruleset took a lot of time but was extremely fun and so I can’t wait to add even more rules for even more pokemon. (Currently all Kanto and Johto pokemon have lorerules, and I'm working on the Hoenn pokemon these days).

I also strongly suggest using the Dupes Clause while playing with these rules to prevent abuse but, that’s up to you. Also if you want to keep it as much as an adventure as you can try not to look at the list of pokemon in every route. I don't use Randomizers a lot but I can only assume they fit with these rules rather well. I also balanced the rules for playing them on Set so I highly recommend it as well, as it will dramatically affect the difficulty of some of these rules. But again, that’s up to you.

Finally I want to give credit and a huge warm-hearted thank you to the wonderful @mewstein who helped me create this beautiful format you see before you, created all of the amazing art you are about to see, and gave me quite a few ideas. Thank you so much! You really brought life into this project. Another special thank you goes to @Spectacles that inspired me to make such an ambitious project, helped with proofing the text and balancing the rules themselves.

So just to sum it up as simply as I can:

Whenever you meet your first encounter of the route, the lore rule for this pokemon is revealed (randomize it from the possibilities, only one lore rule per pokemon) and you may choose to catch it or not. Lore rules come in effect when you capture the pokemon. Some of them have an immediate effect upon capture, while others have passive rules that stay with the pokemon forever or until removed (by a condition or another lore rule). If a pokemon has different lore rules than its evolutions, you give it the one according to its current evolutionary stage when you meet it, and it doesn't change when it evolves.

Link to rules (DOWNLOAD HERE):
Version 1.12 - Download

(If you are having any technical difficulties please let me know!)

Link to the thread where mewstein keeps all her awesome art for this project:

Link to Kantonian Fables, the new Leaf Green run I'm doing with this ruleset

Last edited:

Zorua3

On-and-off Nuzlocker
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Dark
Pokédex Entry
I'd copy-paste the Zorua Pokedex entry, but I'm too lazy.
Jesus Christ Ruby you are a monster. How long did this take you?

I skimmed through the document (I love your illustrations, @mewstein !) and from what I read, this seems like a really fun ruleset! I love how you based some of the rules off of various myths, and the rules themselves are super varied and interesting. It seems stupidly complicated, but that isn't a bad thing. I haven't been playing Let's Go at all in the past few months because of the ridiculous amount of awesome games on the Switch, but as soon as I get back to it I'm going to start a new save and use this ruleset!

Idea: I remember from your LGPE run that you dislike the absurd power levels of Partner Eevee, and right now Eevee's Lore Rules concern only its' evolution, so many you should make a rule especially for Partner Eevee that nerfs it while also giving it its own Lore Rule?
Partner Eevee"
Aspiration to Evolve- When you receive Partner Eevee, randomly choose a type of Water, Electric, Fire, Psychic, Dark, Grass, Ice, or Fairy. Eevee can only use moves of Normal, and that type.

Zorua/ Zoroark:
Kitsune Ancestry- If this Pokemon is not under an illusion, it can only use status moves.
Werewolf Prowl- (Zoroark only): This Pokemon must take the illusion of a Pokemon in the Humanlike egg group if a Pokemon from the Humanlike Egg Group is in your party. If it is not under an illusion, it can only use physical moves.

Treecko/ Grovyle/ Sceptile
Overabundant Pride- (Treecko only) This Pokemon cannot switch out against any foe of a higher level.
Explorer of Time- (Grovyle only) This Pokemon can once in the game manipulate the gears of time and return to life one pokemon that died from a lore rule.
King of the Forest- (Sceptile only) You cannot use items on this Pokemon unless there is another Grass-type in the party.
I'll be looking out for your LeafGreen run!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
This is a nice set of rules... a nice long set of rules. I'll be saving these for consideration for an upcoming nuzlocke (not my Let's Go Eevee nuzlocke, because that's already in progress, but possibly the next one).

Although a couple of fangames I'm considering nuzlocking are fusion games, so... for a fused Pokemon (let's say, a Pikachu/Eevee fusion), would the fused 'mon have one rule based on Pikachu and one rule based on Eevee, or would it choose one rule randomly from a pool of both the Pikachu and Eevee rules? Just curious.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you all for you positive responses so far, both in likes and comments!

@Zorua3 - Ha thank you :)! Umm, I'm honestly not sure but it was at least a few months of a lot of mythology research, game balancing, and proofing but I enjoyed every minute of it and can't wait to continue. I really like your idea for Partner Eevee having a unique rule, perhaps I should also do the same for Partner Pikachu. I promise adding rules for both of them in version 1.01, but for now if you are interesting in playing go ahead and use the rule you suggested for your Eevee! I think it is very balanced. I'll give it more game design and mythology thoughts and see if I can come up with at least one more option to be randomized. Your rule suggestions are quite interesting and I'll remember them as I get to these gens. About the Kitsune there are already quite a lot of rules based on that so perhaps I could add one of those. Also I'm curious - what's the lore behind the "Explorer of Time" idea?

@Trollkitten - Thank you :P. Well hopefully if someone wants to use these rules they don't have to read all the 89 pages I had to write so far :P, but no doubt about it this is one massive document to navigate through (thank the spirits for the search function), Cool, I'd be honored for you to try it. Ha! What an interesting question already. The answer really depends on how difficult you want the game to be, and how well you deal with complex rule combinations. For the simple version I'd suggest randomizing among the pool as it should be interesting enough and the rules are theoretically balanced for that (one rule per Pokemon). But if you want to add one rule from each go ahead! Just be ready to deal with double the challenge. I don't know the fusion games well enough, do they get a totally shared movepool or just some of the moves? I wonder if rules that say you must teach your pokemon one of a few limited moves will work well here?

So keep your question/comments coming, and go ahead and enjoy these crazy rules.

Zorua3

On-and-off Nuzlocker
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Dark
Pokédex Entry
I'd copy-paste the Zorua Pokedex entry, but I'm too lazy.
The Explorer of Time isn't based on any mythology- it's a reference to PMD: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky, where a Grovyle is a time traveler from an apocalyptic future who steals the Time Gears to prevent that future from happening. I thought it would be a fun reskin of your other "revive a Pokemon" rules. Also, it provides a bit of strategy because you'd have to make a choice between Grovyle's incredibly helpful lore rule but lower BST, and Sceptile's run-of-the-mill, detrimental rule, but higher stats. Honestly though both Sceptile and Treecko's lore rules (which are both based on their dex entries) would make sense for Grovyle as well.

mewstein

Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
@RubyClaw I’m very glad to have been a part of this project - as always, you schooled me in a whole new universe of bizarre legends (especially the yokai origins of Hitmonlee) and it’s been a pleasure to imagine what these mythical monsters look like and translate it on to paper. I look forward to seeing how your rules play out in a real nuzlocke.

@Zorua3 Thank you! At some point I will create a thread as a repository for all my Lorelocke images, stay tuned...

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I don't know the fusion games well enough, do they get a totally shared movepool or just some of the moves? I wonder if rules that say you must teach your pokemon one of a few limited moves will work well here?
All the fusion games I know of give the fusions the full movesets of both Pokemon.

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
Why, this is absolutely fascinating! And the document it's compiled in is soooooo pretty, too! Good work on this!!! It must have been an undertaking!

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Woo, I'm so happy to see this is finally up! I can't wait to start my playthrough. Always great to have another insane ruleset 😁

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Thinking about this ruleset, if I ever use it, I'm probably going to use it for an X run first, since XY are (in my experience) the easiest games in the series if you have the Exp. Share on.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
@Zorua3 - Well, most of the rules in this ruleset are based on the Mythology and Folklore behind pokemon, and not on the pokemon itself and stuff from the pokemon world, still I really like the mechanical idea behind this rule! Perhaps I'll use it and find another pokemon that fits this flavor.

@mewstein - Thanks again for being part of this project, you really made it what it is and added so much appeal to it (and your support is what made me go so far with it). I love your new thread, can't wait for more lore art as usual :)! Stay tuned, the run is coming soon.

@Trollkitten - Well in that case it will work perfectly in the fusion games as well, and it's up to you whether to use two rules or one rule from the joined pool of rules. Well currently sadly the rules can't be used in X/Y as I only did the Gen I mons and Alolan forms, and I plan to do the Gen II mons next but if a lot of people will want me to start with Kalos I could happily start there.

@MouseWithADinosaurTail - Thank you so much! Your opinion really means a lot to me. And you can thank the awesome mewstein for the stunning graphical design. Yep, this took months of folklore and mythology research, lots of game design balancing, but I enjoyed every moment. Hopefully you guys could enjoy it as well.

@Spectacles - Yay indeed! Again, thank you so much for your support and really detailed proofing and great questions. I can't wait for your run! May our crazy rulesets take over the Nuzlocke world :P!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Well, I already have a sizable list of nuzlockes I plan to do for my upcoming series, so there's no rush on my end.

d'angelo russell

tomorrow ain't promised to no-one
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he - him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
it was banished for its violence. it silently gazes upon the old world from the distortion world
yo this looks super funky and super fun in general. digging into pokemon's thematic influences as well as the mythological vibe is really interesting, and I can imagine that this opens up a lot of fun avenues for both storytelling and gameplay. also I'm really impressed with how thorough this is, must have been a lot of work but it turned out super clean-looking and comprehensive in general. kudos, man

NeoShade

PARSER ERROR
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 19, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him/his
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Tends to shy away from humans. Able to procrastinate for up to a year at a time.
This is absolutely insane. I've only read through the starter's so far, but it certainly looks like a really interesting way to spice up a run. I'll definitely be keeping this in mind in the future.

Tired Pigeon

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
It
Pokémon Type
Flying, Tough
Pokédex Entry
This pokémon is just too lazy.
OOOhhh I really like this ruleset!

Absolutely gonna try it!

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
@Trollkitten - Take your time, but if you ever need help with balancing any fan-game/ruleset you want with the lorelockes (like making an easier version of them perhaps as you seem worried about that?) just tell me and I'd be happy to help.

@cross_off - Thank you! I do hope it does justice to the mythologies it is based and will share how fascinating they are. Thanks again, indeed took a few months to make, and as I mentioned @mewstein made this elegant design. If you ever try it I hope you'll enjoy it.

@NeoShade - Hi dude, great seeing you here, thanks so much! lol, insane is indeed a very accurate description of this project. It totally got out of hand, I initially just wanted to make a little homebrewed ruleset for my own amusement but it was so much fun I couldn't stop and was encouraged by others to make it into a the monster it is. Well in that case, stay tuned, more is to come!

@Tired Pigeon - Yay! If you ever try it please share your experience as I'd love to hear how your stories and even get criticism and balancing tips if needed.

----

Stay tuned as I'll hopefully be releasing my lorelocke run and version 1.01 (in which I'll add the Partner pokemon as suggested by @Zorua3 ), in the next week or so.

Bluebirdi3

on the run from the Petilil mafia
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 15, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her/they/them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Poison
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon mains Myamsar and you can fight them on this
all of the ideas i've had are based off of video games. H

i'll list the name, inspiration and then the rule itself

Lilligant
Someday You'll All Smile For Me (based off of Smile For Me, specifically the antagonist)
Choose one pokemon that is able to learn a biting move. (Bite, Crunch, Ice/Fire/Thunder Fang and any others that i've missed) This pokemon must not be in the party with Lilligant. If they are in the party when Lilligant wins a fight/defeats an enemy pokemon, they must not be used until the next gym battle/until reaching Victory Road, and they must forfeit any biting moves or chances to learn biting moves permanently. If you accept hacking, after Lilligant wins a fight with the chosen pokemon in the party, they have the option to steal one biting move the chosen pokemon had at the time for itself. If the chosen pokemon has no biting moves at the time, you cannot steal the move later on; it must be on the pokemon in order for Lilligant to inherit it. This effect is optional.

Hydreigon
Keeper of the Crown (based off of Landia)
This pokemon cannot learn any status moves. Unless they are holding a King's Rock, they cannot be sent out first in battle. This pokemon must be given a King's Rock as soon as you get one.

Flabébé line
Asclepias (based off of the Rosalia virus from Trauma Team)
Upon capture, this pokemon is considered Infected. Roll for each of your party members, with a 25% chance of infection. All Infected pokemon will die after 5 battles have passed unless you either;
A. heal at a Pokemon Center
B. sacrifice a non-bought Revive
C. sacrifice a non-bought antidote, with the drawback of the Infected pokemon being unable to be used for 5 battles afterward.
After the initial effect has passed, this pokemon must learn Toxic at the first possible chance.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
@Bluebirdi3 - Hi there! Happy you liked the rules so much you made your own versions. I sadly can't use any of them for the lorelocke rules themselves as the rules in the lorelocke are all based on the folklore and mythology theme, but I really love those! Perhaps if that's ok I could find other lores that suite these mechanics and find ways to incorporate them in. I also really like the fact you made them all in "quest" format. But hi, if you ever do a run for yourself feel free to tweak the rules or add special ones as you please!

Hi all, some good news! First of all my new lorelocke run has began! Kantonian Fables. Check it out!

Second of all, Version 1.01 is uploaded and ready (download link above). As requested by @Zorua3 I added a few unique rules for the Partner pokemon in pokemon Let's Go Eevee and Let's Go Pikachu in a special Appendix in the beginning of the document. Credit for @Zorua3 for the great idea for one of these rules, and of course my creative partner the awesome @mewstein who in record time added some amazing art to these new rules! I also did two little rule fixes, expect such fixes to come in future updates as well.

Version 1.01 - Update log:

Added:
Rules for Partner Pikachu and Partner Eevee for a Pokemon Let's Go run, as well as beautiful new art for each.

Fixed:
Clarified text in Charmander rules.
Ratatta "Lion and the Mouse" rule, changed one of the effects to "may".

Keep your ideas and questions coming, and if any of you happen to use these rules and want to share/have any questions I'm available and more than happy to help! Either here in this thread or you can PM me if you want.

Expect more surprises in the future :hello:

Bluebirdi3

on the run from the Petilil mafia
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 15, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her/they/them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Poison
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon mains Myamsar and you can fight them on this
@RubyClaw finding other lores is perfectly fine! i'm not that big on mythology, so i bet you could find a folklore that can fit

Lumaeus

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is trying its best to fight the good fight.
I've only read through the first handful of effects and am deeply in love. I want to try this as soon as I'm done with my current Nuzlocke, going in as blindly as possible. This is a stunning labor of love.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)