• Ash has been all over the news lately and this site is no exception! Check out Ashes to Ashes, the latest featured run!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • Happy tapaversary, Guest! It's been about a year since the Tapatalk Takeover; if you'd like to make a donation to us to celebrate the fact that we tapped out of that site, please click here.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about the new Critique Level Tags!
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Written Story Alola The Heir, Apparently

Thread Description
not porting over technically but i've got epilogue content

Missy

i left my heart in alola
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Tough
Pokédex Entry
just missy now

Kahuna Nanu is given a child and learns to be a decent person. He gets smacked in the face about it. Aliens are here.

I'm gonna be like a restaurant and slap my awards up on the wall so maybe that'll entice you: Best Introduction: 1st (2017) and Best Overall: 2nd (2018).
Read this run if you want:
  • depression jokes​
  • a tiny sunshine child​
  • jellyfish nightmares​
  • blasphemy​
  • the X-files​
  • some really bad backstory that I don't associate with anymore​
  • a stoned marshmallow​
  • S P A C E​
  • a family can be a retired cop, his kid, and eighteen cats​
1) first catch only
2) if it faints it dies
3) nickname the catches
4) grass, fairy, and pure normal types only
[TABLE OF CONTENTS]
For those just joining us!
No, I can't be bothered to port this thing over. If you want to read, it's all right here.

[EPILOGUE]
For those who are with it!
May the chance of any sequel ever existing rest in peace.

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
The reason she guides people all the way down to the mountain's base is that she wants them to hurry up and leave.

no but

ugh, missy

I love this run so much. Legit one of my all time favorites. Everything you did with your characters and my feelings just

😭

It's been such a good ride and I'm gonna miss Sam and Nanu so much...

SayleeK

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
Hey I just obsessively binge-read through this in a day and I got THINGS to SAY

Okay this is immediately becoming one of my top favourites because I am WEAK for "grumpy badass + peppy child duo", WEAK I tell you, especially so perfectly seasoned with "grumpy old bastard with a heart of stone learns to love again", I cried when he finally said "I love you". And before that, when he remembered Sam. And when the dog died. And in the flashback to Puella Magi Episode 3 the other Anabel's death at Gutton's fangs. Good job on making the Ultra Beasts really fucking scary, by the way. I don't think I breathed all the way through reading the fight in the desert.
Honestly, writing this fic from first person was perfect because it allowed constant contact with Nanu's beautifully dry wit (my personal favourite being "it's Hell o'clock in sunny Akala", as somebody who also Suffers in the heat), but also a heartbreakingly close look at his depression. I have never felt more called out than by the description of how a Nothing Day feels, and by called out I mean I cried again and I'm glad Sam hugged him because SOMEBODY needed to. Damn, I cried a lot today and it's all your goddamn fault.

Oh, and this line killed me instantly:
"And this is my punishment: a soft ending."

You poor self-hating bastard.

Oh and the epilogue as soon as it was obvious that Sam was talking to Nanu's grave, but it feels like in the end he did get a soft ending; that is, at the end of his days, worn out, he wasn't working hard because Sam had it all under control, he was confident that Ula'ula was in the hands of a good kahuna, and he actually had good relationships with his kid and his friends. There are people who miss him and remember him fondly, which I'm ure was inconceivable to him for most of the fic. Oh no I'm crying again

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 11, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them/their
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
SayleeK recc'd this fic on Pillowfort and that's what led me here. I'm really glad she did.

Great fic! Really great! The strength of your writing caught my attention immediately. The vivid descriptions of the sandstorm - The sand is so loose that it swallows your shoes [...] when it storms it’s like walking through a brick wall - Nanu's flashback to meeting/being chosen by Bulu and the wondrous image of the oasis just springing up around them, contrasted immediately with his brutal cynicism about how their relationship actually turned out... it's all immediately gripping. And the rest of the fic follows through on that quality. I like how you approach the Alola games with such creativity and a complete lack of reluctance to cut plot elements that didn't fit your story and take the rest and reshape them to fit you - the story is much stronger and much more original for it. Obviously, it started with the very premise, which is great - the mismatched pair, pulled together by the whims of a god (I really enjoyed all of the worldbuilding around the connection between the island leaders and the island guardians, how the guardians choose and how they develop and how it affects the relationship between guardian and chosen human) and Nanu's desire to finally retire. Just in general, your focus on him pulls the story immediately into its own direction, which is one of the things that appealed to me from the start. It's too bad that Sam's initial innocence had to be crushed so brutally, but it was inevitable and paved the way for great themes about healing around the wounds, for both protagonists (a particularly appropriate theme for a story where one of the characters has long-term depression and for whom complete recovery was probably never an option, just some form of improvement). There were so many different losses, too - deaths, betrayals, near-misses, memory loss, friendships torn asunder, even half of Nanu's team becoming too injured to continue battling.

I love your approach to writing battling, with the emphasis on style and creativity and the combination of creativity and analysis that Sam brings to the field. It was great to watch him develop as a Trainer. You made his deaths really count, few that they were - I'm guessing that Puck died in-game, rather than being boxed or something, but that you changed that to him running away because it suited the story better, but it wasn't much of a mercy because it still hurt Sam and he still changed, pivoted his whole approach to battling slightly in response; just one of many. Sam's never still, as a character, and it's great. The things that happen to him matter. And obviously, the deaths on Wela Volcano were definitely deaths and very traumatic and a game-changer. Like I said, you really made them count.

And speaking of plot, I also love how you went all-in with the Ultra Beasts being eldritch abominations from another dimension. The way you describe them is fascinatingly horrifying. Not to mention threatening. It was a good call to let them bear most of the load of the plot, rather than evil team something-or-another. And it also tied in perfectly to Nanu's backstory, so that the final boss to be defeated was essentially his dark past, so that he could start to rebuild as best he can and to clear the way for Sam's future. (I also enjoyed Looker and Anabel and I was glad that you included them!)

On a lighter note, I also really enjoyed Hau and Sam's friendship, and eventual romantic relationship as well. Their personalities mesh well and Hau is something of a breath of fresh air for a kid who spends most of his time socializing with adults, but the ways that they contrast and mirror re: their relationships to their respective mentoring island leaders and being chosen (or wanting to be chosen) by island guardians were also very nicely done.

And on a personal level, I really deeply appreciated how you referred to the genderless legendaries as "they". Thank you. And "Nothing Day" is an extremely useful term, so I'm glad to have been introduced to it.

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works., this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
How did I miss this getting reposted? And epilogue content? Hopefully in a bit I will be living this dream :dance::dance:

Manifold

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 14, 2019
It was a lovely surprise to see the epilogue take us through snippets of their lives all the way until Sam's twenty-six, getting to see Sam grow into his role as Nanu peacefully withdraws from his. I think you did an excellent job of an ending where the hardships were real and impactful, but things still turn out as fuzzy and soft as they could be.

I can't believe it ends in a cemetery, with the brief nod to Memorial Hill.

😭😭😭

Congratulations again on this story!

cross_off

you chase the dragon but it follows you home
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he - him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
it was banished for its violence. it silently gazes upon the old world from the distortion world
can't believe I almost missed epilogue content,

as much as I feel c28 was the perfect ending to the story this was just as necessary to the general scheme. it feels very, idk...life goes on I guess? for all that nanu and sam have healed somewhat and found their paths it's still gonna be hard at time, and there'll be new challenges along the way, and even the old stuff isn't quite so easy, and of course at the end of the day we all die anyways so. but that's not the point - there's definitely a sense of moving on, of coming to peace with the past and looking to the future, and there's a hopeful vibe that permeates the epilogue even to its end. life goes on and for every ounce of bitterness there must be joy too.

really sweet and beautiful way to wrap it up on the whole, particularly how nanu and sam's relationship continued to develop and persists in a form even beyond the grave. cordelia sticking around for the two of them is really sweet too (also like the flavor description and how you left it somewhat ambiguous as to what exactly she's sticking around for). also I bet bulu will miss nanu somewhat, if only because...xd.

ily dross this was a good story and I'm glad to have read it, you really did a good here.

Rhema

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
I’ve heard great things about this run and meant to read it over on Tapatalk, but I suppose now is as good of a time as ever! You’ve got a very engaging way of writing, and love grumpy Nanu. Can’t wait to read more!

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works., this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
Time for a long-overdue final comment.

This was everything I never knew I needed in an ending. It has closure, it has feels, it has wistfulnes... both Sam's challenge against the league amd Nanu's reuniting with Looker were good caps to their characters, and interspersed perfectly. I was terrified that something was gonna happen to Chacha thanks to the poison but thankfully it all pulled through.

But Balsamic Moon...

Man oh man, what an epilogue. Perfectly fits the characters and the narrative. The poignant little things like Sam and Hau, Nanu's brace, Marple's passing, and of course that final scene all tie together so, so well. A sense of melancholy and happiness all in one. Such a difficult blend and you pull it off so well.

This is one of my favorite fics on the forum and probably will be for a very long while. Kudos, Missy.

QuietGuardian

🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
I want to say something, but it’s hard to know what to say. That was a really nice ending. It gives us a sense of the rest of the time that Sam and Nanu had together—we saw their big adventure, but that doesn’t mean they’re done with each other by a long shot! The development through the years, of both Sam and his relationship with Nanu, is clearly shown, and it’s quite something to see him grow up like that.

I love Nanu’s scene with Tapu Bulu, particularly when he realizes that even Bulu, the immortal guardian of the island, doesn’t really have a plan; they just make things up as they go along. It’s kind of like the realization that kids get when they become adults, except in this case, it’s between an old man and an old god.

And the closing was very nice. We get to see bits from the end of Nanu’s life, and he finally found happiness, or at least contentment, which is good enough—“No, this is fine” works so well as a last line for him. Sam still remembers and misses him, but he does it in a way that reflects how well he knew Nanu; not getting overly sentimental by technically talking to Cordelia instead of Nanu and not bringing flowers.

I love this story, and I really hope you’re proud of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)