• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Comic Kanto Mature Mon The Ballad of Brett

Thread Description
Classic Blue for a nice cup of Nostalgia

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
"We work with what we have or catch something stronger" is quite a rough way to put it, but indeed pokemon can be a cruel world.

Making a Rattata vs Rattata battle an intense and interesting experience is quite a feat, and you've done so wonderfully. Wish I could have been there to watch!

Wwarborday

Gradually Becoming Productive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 28, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/him/his
Pokémon Type
Ground, Ice
Pokédex Entry
I'm Doing My Best
Never apologize for needing to take your time with this wonderful work of art. (Besides, the holidays make fools of us all.)

I'm sure I've said this before, but I love the worldbuilding you have. It's subtle, but it's clearly there, and it feels like it's building towards something amazing.

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Doesn't actually like birds all that much.
Oh dang you managed to make rattata look big and intimidating. And poor Brett's rat is still in a bit of a bad shape, this isn't going to go well is it. And the capital L League pulling this to happen is looking less and less like a benevolent institution. Interesting interesting

RandomTrainer

.... huh?
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
hey you/whatever
Pokémon Type
???
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oooookay, so today didn't go as planned and... I've been up till 4:30 finishing word bubbles and editing speech... Having successful flow in dialogue is rough, but I gotta fit it in there. More being that window to the foreshadowing world...

@Polymori I'm still super excited that you're enjoying this, it has given me a lot more drive in trying to get this page right and the next few I've rough sketched. I'm always questioning my delivery, but hearing how many folks are into it thus far reminds me to stop second guessing myself so much and push the anxiety back, so heavy thank yous for that! I really love working this color pallet and while you're jealous of my bgs, I'm jealous of yours and your omg crisp edges and straight lines. Trade you? XD

@Picket Furret Haha, it's chunky enough to be one!!! Also, Happy belated Birthday!

@RubyClaw Yes... yes it is a rough way of putting it, however it's true. I can't help but feel it more so when I've watched some friends play and they farm for pokemon with perfect stats or natures or whatever the heck it is that's going on anymore. The hundreds of eggs for the just one shiny, kinda deal. I'll admit I'm feeding off of that to help inspire the alternate styles of Training.

@Wwarborday I'll always apologize for being slow... especially when I say a date I wanna reach and then see it drift past me. I'm a slowpoke, yes, but that doesn't mean everyone else is and would probably like things in a more timely manner.
As for story, I'm trying to gradually get the worldbuilding in like you kinda do in the game, I thought it would be weird to try and throw it all in at once... I have a bit in mind and I'll do my absolute best to not have this go the way of GoT season8. XD haha!

@Kadew It takes so many sketches to get those big intimidating looks. Heck this page I just did, I kept redoing it. I just wasn't getting Short's Rattata in the right angles or the camera wasn't set right to make it have that loom over. In my head, it's easy, when I put pen to tablet... it gets wishy washy XD
And yes... you should be skeptical of a system that encourages children into monster pit matches. XP p.s. I love Kurukkoo's new banner <3 <3 <3

Last edited:

Velink

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 27, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
from friendly banter to hostile takeover
this is shaping up into a pretty solid rivalry

also Brett is losing here, only winner gets to talk

Wwarborday

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 28, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/him/his
Pokémon Type
Ground, Ice
Pokédex Entry
I'm Doing My Best
I love how the battle looks like a battle. I know it's just two Rattata, and I know those don't have good stats, but seeing this, I'm actually on the edge of my seat!

Polymori

A Hot Mess
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon has an over-active imagination and creates more stories than any sane person should.
Oh man this page is so so sooooo good!
Really love the serious talk in this page. Cause it's really neat to see how different experiences shape people's thought processes and beliefs.
Like in the case of Joey(?)/youngster how the trauma of losing his charmander starter made him believe only strength matters. It's a harsh outlook for the pokemon and not exactly healthy for an individual to think that way, but it's very believable and a little tragic. While on the other hand, accidents happen as well. So even if you're loving your pokemon, and treating them really well with "hugs and rainbows", no matter how much trust a trainer and a pokemon have for each other, accidents still happen and how those accidents impact the team shape how a trainer and a teams dynamic will be carrying on.
Seriously good work and aaaa I'm really glad that our enjoyment keeps pushing you forward! This is seriously becoming one of my favourite lockes and hell yeah! I'd totes trade~

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Oh geez oh wow this kid. That rat. Small rat is good, nice soft safe rat that fits in pocket. ps your banner looks really swell too

RandomTrainer

.... huh?
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
hey you/whatever
Pokémon Type
???

OMG You Guys!!!!
First off, I'm so SO Sorry on taking so long to update, as well as so long a wait for a rather short page T__T I was hoping to make it another double feature, but I'm not getting the next one done as fast as I'd like and I don't want you guys waiting another three days.

I'm doing a crazy amount of farm stuff, which is really good Life wise, but I'm hating how much it's cutting into Comic time. I didn't think it would be a big deal during the winter, but now... now I'm having days where I'm so tired, I find myself just going blank and zoned out, sleeping with my eyes open almost. Farm wise, it's totally worth it, Art wise, its so exhausting I'm being a total failboat on making regular updates.

Hope everyone can take at least a small sigh of relief now <3

Last edited:

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
KEEP ALGERNON SAFE

Picket Furret

Antisocial Lurker
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Normal
K.O.
Hope that Raticatetata enjoys flowers for his grave

(Eh, don't worry about the delays, farm stuff's important)

RandomTrainer

.... huh?
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
hey you/whatever
Pokémon Type
???

Battle wise with this.... I was seriously so proud of Algernon. While it looked like he'd have been seriously roughed up, being only lvl9 against Joey's lvl11 Rattata, I really thought he'd have taken a few harder hits, but instead Algernon won and still had over half health. I'd never been more impressed with a Rattata in my life and... I honestly gotta say, I love how a Nuzlocke made me learn to appreciate my pokemon so much more, not just the favorites I always set up in my party.

Comic wise, I've got the next page sketched out and half inked, so if I can keep this up, I'll get another update to you soon!!!

Last edited:

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
SNAKE SNAKE SNAKE SNAKE SNAKE IT'S A SNAAAAAAKE

I love how you've drawn ekans! The natural predator of small rats! I don't even know who I'm rooting for anymore I just really love snakes haha

Wwarborday

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 28, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/him/his
Pokémon Type
Ground, Ice
Pokédex Entry
I'm Doing My Best
PLEASE KEEP ALGERNON SAFE.....

RandomTrainer

.... huh?
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
hey you/whatever
Pokémon Type
???

Hoping to have my next update be a burst of 3 or more pages.

These past few pages have been seriously hard... How to angle, what to say, along with having to deal with some issues with home life at the same time. Things that sometimes relate and you'd rather them not. Anyway, I'll be posting a few pages each time when I upload, so 2 or more pages when I update again. I'm trying to sketch out a bit ahead of myself too, I'm wanting to get into Mt.Moon, past it, Cerulean, Bill's, ONWARD DANG IT!!!!!

Last edited:

RandomTrainer

.... huh?
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
hey you/whatever
Pokémon Type
???
Okay so... In reality, I've been struggling with these pages for a long while and I'm just gonna be ripping it off fast, like a band'aid X....X

I'll be adding pages here as I please/as I finish... I'm needing to get past this bit since... well.... you know.
My 2nd'n 4th Tues postings will still be main 'bundles' of posts, but I'm putting a few here inbetween.....

..... I'm sorry.....

Okay so......
Gameplay of this was.......... I was a terrible trainer.

I had potions, I didn't use them.
I was stubborn, I had too much 'faith' in Algernon, in myself....
After the battle with Joey's Rattata, Alg was down to a bit over half health, I thought he'd be fine. Get in a few Quick Attacks, it wouldn't be any big deal...
But I only got one Quick Attack in, then he was poisoned, then his attack missed, then he was wrapped.... Maybe I underestimated how damaging Wrap can be, maybe I overestimated Algernon's ability to break free of it and land those attacks I knew could make him win... Either way, precious seconds and hp passed and Algernon hit zero.

I could have recalled him at any time... but I didn't.
I hesitated... I tried to bide my time too long.

..... This part wasn't exactly fun for me to draw, it reminded me that I didn't make the best of choices for my pokemon and got cocky in the level of skills I thought I had. I really liked Algernon, I wanted to keep him, and I lost him, to Joey, the 'I like shorts' kid....

Last edited:

Kinetic Kimo

Trainer MIA
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her. Old-school girl words.
Pokémon Type
Water, Psychic
Hey, don't beat yourself up so much. It sucks, absolutely, and I can imagine it's hard to share with everyone else but you gotta remember that most of us have been there ourselves. I've done a few nuzlockes that I haven't recorded and almost every one has some death that was totally preventable, should've never happened, what was I thinking, etc. Including sitting back and thinking "No way, he'll be fine, I don't need to spend items/switch pokemon, he'll break out next turn and ace this foe" just like what you were saying about Algernon. I know it's the worst kind of death when it's one that we know we could've prevented, but you're definitely not the first person to face it.

Frankly, I think it's really cool that you're willing to tell us openly, rather than giving it some glamorous cover-up in the comic, acting like it couldn't have been avoided, or like he was suddenly struck down by some random crit. Good on you.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Ah, I can relate both to over believing in my pokemon and the feeling of regret that follows once they die prematurely by my own decisions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)