• Ash has been all over the news lately and this site is no exception! Check out Ashes to Ashes, the latest featured run!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • Happy tapaversary, Guest! It's been about a year since the Tapatalk Takeover; if you'd like to make a donation to us to celebrate the fact that we tapped out of that site, please click here.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about the new Critique Level Tags!
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Comic Kanto Mature Mon The Ballad of Brett

Thread Description
Classic Blue for a nice cup of Nostalgia

RandomTrainer

.... huh?
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
hey you/whatever
Pokémon Type
???

A Pokemon Blue Nuzlocke Challenge

Join Brett, a young pokemon trainer, on his adventures through the Kanto region.
Witness his struggles, achievements and failures, as he and his team of close companions make their journey to the Indigo Plateau in hopes of becoming Pokemon Champions!

Rules:

1. To Faint, is to Die.
2a. Catch one Pokemon Per Area.
2b. The First Pokemon you find, you must catch.
3. All Pokemon must be Named.
4. Legendaries must Die.
5. Everstone Starter.

Chapter 1: Small Beginnings (Boulder Badge)

Pallet Town
Page 1 . Page 2 .
(bonus) Woring on a Future Edit..... Pg 2 Redo (Keith Story Development)

Viridian City
Page 3 . Page 4

Routes 1, 2, & 22

Page 5 . Page 6 . Page 7

Viridian Forest
Page 8 . Page 9 . Page 10 . Page 11 . Page 12 . Page 13 . Page??? . Page 14

Pewter City Gym
Page 15 . Page 16 . Page 17 . Page 18 . Page 19
BROCK
Page 20 . Page 21 . Page 22 . Page 23 . Page??? . Page 24 . Page 25
Page 26 . Page 27 . Page 28 . Page 29 . Page 30 . Page 31 . Page 32

Chapter 2: Difficult Roads (Cascade Badge)
Page 33 . Page 34 . Page 35

NEW PAGE!
Page 35
(uploaded 10/09/19)

Last edited:

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Great to have you in the new forums! At last, a great victory!

Oh spirits, that line about this not being the first Squirtle to defeat Brock is so troubling. So the poor thing has to face a horde of 10 year olds with their Bulbasaurs and Squirtles, hitting his poor 4X weak Onyx one after the other? I pity that giant Snake... (Magnificent drawing of Onyx by the way, I love its agonized expression).

RandomTrainer

.... huh?
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
hey you/whatever
Pokémon Type
???
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hazzahs for finally obtaining a Badge!

Omg Ruby that would be terrible!! I'd thought Brock would have multiple of all his pokemon, so hopefully it wouldn't be just one Onix and Geodude getting their butts kicked constantly. I'm sure that would be quite soul crushing for them, poor dears.

I'm so thrilled to finally be posting again, I'm trying to juggle farm work and getting a new barn put in and getting onto Chapter 2!

Last edited:

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
♀
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Doesn't actually like birds all that much.
Congrats on badge getting! I love all the little details you put into these pages. Things like the people toweling down Quartney (what a good name), the Beware of Poisons poster, and the metapod strung up on the bed frame. Those little things just add so much charm and depth to your world.

cross_off

you chase the dragon but it follows you home
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he - him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
it was banished for its violence. it silently gazes upon the old world from the distortion world
saw this update and decided to check it out - and it was a great read. I really dig how the art style is built around impressions and important details, its very vivid and appreciable and I like how you alternate light and dark, the default blue shade is really nice. also seeing brett get his first badge was a great moment!

mizar

young, dumb, and full of you know ;)
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Dragon
I've been following this run but I don't think I've ever commented?
Well first off nice job on getting your first badge! I like the route you took with brock's design- I can't imagine how much time it took to draw out those tattoos in every panel. It's also cool how much detail you put into backgrounds. I feel like you treat them with just as much importance as the characters themselves, which in turn gives little bits of world building to the reader, like with the posters in the poke center. The Rhydon sculptures too. I also noticed an interesting part of your style that you don't draw eyes in your panels often. Normally I would worry about losing expression, but it seems like you carry mood perfectly well in subtle ways like body language. It's really cool to focus on how you pose your panels!!!
hhh thats all for my gush

RandomTrainer

.... huh?
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
hey you/whatever
Pokémon Type
???
Eeee! I was so happy to log on and read these comments!!!!
The level of joy it brings me to hear how much you're all enjoying this can't even be measured, even if you're comments are small, they are light in my times of darkness and inspire me to keep drawing, even if I'm depressed about being behind on pages or just not having faith in myself. Hugs all around guys, cause... really...

Cross_off I'm really glad to have held your attention and given you some entertainment, I will do my best to keep things so as more pages come, thank you!!! <3

Mizar so happy to hear from a lurker! Yes, Brock's tattoos took forever, but it sounds like we all feel it was worth it in the end XD I really like doing the little detail/background stuff, I'm the kind of person who is always checking out the set designs rather then watching the movies. Some friends think it's weird, but it really is what adds that certain something to the world, I just wish I was a bit better when it comes to architecture...
Faces wise... No, I don't really like drawing eyes, or noses for that matter, I not only have issues with Uncanny Valley, but I've also got an aversion to eye contact and at times, even drawing someone looking can get unsettling for me. I usually focus on posture and gestures, so I decided to just wing it with this comic and see if I could make it work. ^u^;;;

RubyClaw if I had nothing but time, I'd honestly want to sit down and make a much cleaner version of that poster and get my butt down to kinkos to print that. Also... is it weird that I'm questioning who in this story you're counting as 'Our Hero'??? lol

Kadew SQUEELS ABOUT BADGE!!! I know that it's just the first one and there is still a lot of stuff between now and the next one, but still, I'm so jazzed about it. I keep reminding myself not to think about it all at once, just one thing at a time, but a part of me is like... wow, this is gonna take a long time!!!!

Last edited:

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
I love the little details in this one! Our Rival hitting his poor Bulbasaur with a classic whip, Tyhpun carrying all these potions, one of the rats stealing something which I suspect is a rare candy, and that beautiful Pewter City Museum.
Man I wish I could visit it myself, I love the modern architecture and the fossilized skeletons and how they contrasts with the wild mountains in the background.

Wwarborday

Gradually Becoming Productive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 28, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/him/his
Pokémon Type
Ground, Ice
Pokédex Entry
I'm Doing My Best
This is absolutely gorgeous. I love the stylistic work in this series; the way Pokemon look, especially, down to the care and detail you put to make each individual Pokemon look unique. The panel composition works well; I never have to think about what I'm reading, everything just flows into each-other. Some of your battle scenes are especially gorgeous; page 23 has such a cool shot of Ty shooting those bubbles as the Geodude attacks, and page 27 makes great use of forced perspective to show just how BIG Onix is compared to Ty, and page 30 has this visual representation of the sound loss......it's clear you know to set these scenes up. You weave casual worldbuilding in with the rest of your story like it's nothing, which is quite a feat. (And Brock? With tattoos? Drums?? In the Gym?? Big Yes).

I'm really digging how the comic is a blue monochrome, except for Ken's sections in the opposite red. What a fantastic use of color. And wow, this whole thing was posted just this year?! What a feat! I look forward to more!

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
♀
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
New chapter! New excitement! New adventure! Difficult roads, apparently. I love all the different tiny scenes all happening at once in the cover. You've got the museum and all those cool skeletons, you've got a rat thieving from the pokemart, you've got Gary brutally whipping his bulbasaur into shape, and of course, our hero front and center, ready to walk whatever road lies ahead. I cannot wait.

RandomTrainer

.... huh?
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
hey you/whatever
Pokémon Type
???
Okay, it's 2am but I finally finished coloring!!!!

Thanks so much for your comment Wwarborday!!!
I promise I will keep doing my best at fitting in all my little detail. From 'camera angles' to the random stuff I throw in the background but mean as foreground things XD I'm seriously so happy you guys enjoy them and it encourages me to keep putting it out there. I don't always know what I'm doing, but I'm trying <3

Last edited:

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
♀
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Oh I love this. What was once just a random bug catcher has become a recurring character, as that one in the route in game, and we have this delightful friendly moment. All those good bugs too, I love how hairy you've made weedle. Also I'm a big fan of that jogger with the pair of jolteon for some reason.

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Ah I know the feeling of getting your update ready late at night and just being so eager to release is. I love that you made the bug catcher return, the chapters with them two were some of my favorites. I second @Kadew that hairy Weedle is adorable.

Wwarborday

Gradually Becoming Productive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 28, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/him/his
Pokémon Type
Ground, Ice
Pokédex Entry
I'm Doing My Best
Love the frekly guy with his freckly Jolteon!

RandomTrainer

.... huh?
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
hey you/whatever
Pokémon Type
???
Hey guys!! Sorry I'm not quite able to sit down and write replies or post a full update yet, but I've been rather spread out~
However, I've got this weekend off so that'll be good.

I was really excited to get back to the bug catcher, it had been a bit of a surprise to me when I looked back in my notes and read the game's script. So why not THAT bug catcher from before? ;3 I loved the sketch of the brothers too and so fitting in some story version of leveling too, I guess...

I'm trying to remember there are other people in the world so... coming up with background npcs is..... gonna be interesting.
So far I'm using a few friends and their fave pokemon as ideas <3

Lovels all around and talk to you guys laters. and seriously thank you so much for your input.

Last edited:

RandomTrainer

.... huh?
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
hey you/whatever
Pokémon Type
???

UPDATE!

Last edited:

RubyClaw

🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Well Slowpoke is one of my favorite mons so that's ok :), and the wait was worth it.

Conservation at its best. I love the way you drew that Metapod.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)