• Ash has been all over the news lately and this site is no exception! Check out Ashes to Ashes, the latest featured run!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • Happy tapaversary, Guest! It's been about a year since the Tapatalk Takeover; if you'd like to make a donation to us to celebrate the fact that we tapped out of that site, please click here.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about the new Critique Level Tags!
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Written Log Johto General Mon Take Pokéball (Revival Edition)

NeoShade

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 19, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him/his
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Tends to shy away from humans. Able to procrastinate for up to a year at a time.
* enters sheepishly *

Hi everybody. I suspect that most of you don't know me, but to those who do, I'd like to apologize for letting my previous attempt at this community-driven run die a slow and painful death. But, with the move to these lovely new forums, I decided why don't we try again? I'm going to reboot the adventure, and hopefully I'll be able to keep it going a little longer this time around, however I'll understand if nobody trusts me to maintain it, given what happened last time.

For those of you who are new to > Take Pokéball, here's the gist: in 2014, a very interesting concept appeared on the Nuzlocke Forums. What would happen if Pokémon was an old-school text adventure game? @Rumors took this idea and ran with it, creating a very entertaining adventure (you can still read it HERE if you're interested). Last year, with Rumors' permission, I decided to revive the concept, and for a few months we had a very brief trip through the beginning of HeartGold. Unfortunately, life got in my way and I ended up abandoning the run without another word. Check out the old run HERE if you'd like.

I really hope that I can make this more successful than my previous attempt at it. I made some mistakes that I think I've learned from, and I'm going to be a lot more careful to get everything correct this time around, so hopefully we can make a go of it. Something else to note is that last time I included some content that wasn't actually in the game, to spice things up a little. I'll still do that this time, but I'm not going to actually change the way the game plays quite so much this time around.

These are the rules that the run will use. They're mostly unchanged from last time around, but include the extra rules that we found we needed along the way. As with last time, if we decide further rules are needed, we might add them as we go along too.

NUZLOCKE RULES
  1. If a Pokemon faints, it's dead.
  2. Only catch the first Pokemon encountered in each area.
  3. Nickname everything.
EXTRA RULES
  1. Dead Pokemon will be automatically released by me as soon as possible. I will travel back to Pokemon Centers from mid-route to make this happen.
  2. Shiny clause is ON: Shiny Pokemon can be caught and used.
  3. Optional Dupes Clause is ON: You can not to catch duplicate encounters. (This clause can be toggled on/off with a command)
  4. Nuzlocke Rules don't take affect until after obtaining Pokeballs.
  5. HM Slaves can be caught if required, but will be forcefully boxed when a suitable replacement Pokemon is obtained. HM Slaves cannot battle.
  6. The run ends in failure if there are no usable Pokemon left in the party or the PC.
INTERPRETER RULES
  1. For a command to be understood, it should start with a > symbol (ie. > Go North). No other commands will be recognized. If this symbol is not available on your device, you may use a different one, just be sure to make it clear what is a command and what is not.
  2. Each command can only contain a single action (ie. You cannot use the command > Go North then Take Pokeball).
  3. Misspelled or incorrectly worded commands will not work. However, like any text adventure, you will have to work out what the correct wording for any situation is by yourself.
  4. The interpreter will only accept 4 commands per user between updates (each time that I post responses to any actions). These commands can be in a single post or multiple, but only the first 4 will be recognized.
  5. The in-game time will match my real-world time (Australian Eastern Standard Time UTC+10). This may make for jarring transitions between day and night in game, but it was decided to be the best solution last time.
  6. Time-based events in game will be limited so that they are not abused (for example, an apricorn tree will only provide fruit two or three times per real-life week). These limits will be at my discretion.
  7. Players will not be penalized for any mistakes that I make in reporting the game to you.
I hope that everything makes sense so far. I hope that you're all willing to give me another shot at guiding you through this adventure, and I really hope that we can get a few people involved, because without people, this run simply will not work. The start of the adventure will appear in the next post, and after that you're free to start posting your commands. Good luck!

Last edited:

NeoShade

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 19, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him/his
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Tends to shy away from humans. Able to procrastinate for up to a year at a time.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You are in your bedroom. Everything in this room is familiar to you, from the vaulted ceiling to the faded rug on the floor. There’s not much here in the way of possessions though, just the basics: bed, laptop, potted plant, TV and games console… what more could you need? A window looks out towards the mountains to the north and there’s a staircase leading down to the living room.

Last edited:

poopawman

High-end Procrastinator
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
Water, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Used to be frequent, but has matured into a lazy son of a--

NeoShade

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 19, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him/his
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
poopawman > Go South
You can't go that way.

I just want to make it clear for everyone at this point, because I think this confused a few people last time as well, you don't have to wait for me to reply in between commands. Feel free to post all of your commands at a time if you'd like, post your commands immediately after the last person, whatever you feel like, so long as you personally only post 4 commands in between each of my posts. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
>Go Downstairs
>Talk to Parent

(Also, welcome back fellow Charmander. I really liked you original run, hope this one will last).

SlasherMacGuff

Extremely Popular Nuzlocker (Don't look that up)
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 17, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
me is a boy
Pokémon Type
Steel
Pokédex Entry
Think's it's funny but mostly gets people to laugh out of pity. And sometimes not even that.
Okay this is cool

>Find Pokeball
>Attempt to catch first available Pokemon

poopawman

High-end Procrastinator
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
Water, Steel
Pokédex Entry
>head south
>head east
>head north

(first round was just a test on commands, but still interesting nonetheless)

NeoShade

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 19, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him/his
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
@RubyClaw Thanks! It's great to be back. I promise I'm going to do my best to make sure that this run doesn't share the same fate as the last one.

@SlasherMacGuff I'm glad you think so. I thought it was a brilliant concept when I first saw it.

@poopawman No problem. Feel free to test out various actions as we go along. You never know what you might discover.

RubyClaw > Go Downstairs
You are in the combined living room and kitchen of your house. A large table sits in the center of the room with a TV nearby, and a galley kitchen is off to one side, complete with fridge, stove, sink and cabinets. A pair of potted plants completes the room. There are stairs leading up to your bedroom and a door leading outside to the south. Your mother is here, sitting at the kitchen table nursing a cup of coffee.

Upon reaching the bottom of the staircase, your mother jumps up and blocks your way and starts talking without letting you get a word in edgeways. "Hi honey! You're finally awake. Your friend Lyra was just here. She was playing hide-and-seek with her Marill. Oh, I almost forgot! Our acquaintance, Professor Elm, was looking for you. He said he had a favor to ask of you. You know where his lab is, right? It's right next door to us. By the way, do you have everything you need to go out? Here, use this bag to carry things, and this is your trainer card. You'll know what to do in no time!"

You receive a bag.
You receive a trainer card.

RubyClaw > Talk to Parent
"Professor Elm has been waiting for you, dear. Please, go and help him."

SlasherMacGuff > Find Pokeball
You search the room for a pokéball, but find nothing.

SlasherMacGuff > Attempt to catch first available Pokemon
I don't understand the word "attempt".

poopawman > head south
You’re in New Bark Town, a small, quiet town nestled in the foothills of the East Johto Mountain Range. There are four buildings here: your house, the Elm Laboratory, a house to the southeast and a house to the southwest. A path leads out of town to the west, and the Tohjo River borders the town on the east. You can see a young girl here. You can see a burly man here. A shady character appears to be lurking around the Elm Laboratory.

Upon stepping outside you notice a Marill run past, your friend Lyra hot on its heels. The pair run off down the path to the west.

poopawman > head east
The Tohjo River prevents you from travelling east.

poopawman > head north
You can't go that way.

Last edited:

Genesis

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 11, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
Gene, he, anything unless its a female one
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
luxray but its shinx and has levitate and 620 bst and has dark type. Exactly what GF should've done to luxray ;;
> head west > enter professor's laboratory > talk to professor elm > exit > go west

Tired Pigeon

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
It
Pokémon Type
Flying, Tough
Pokédex Entry
This pokémon is just too lazy.
Yayyyy it's backkkkkk!!!

>NO
>take first pokeball

Genesis

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 11, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
Gene, he, anything unless its a female one
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
luxray but its shinx and has levitate and 620 bst and has dark type. Exactly what GF should've done to luxray ;;
take first pokeball won't work without elm's lab
> enter professor's lab
>check machine
> pick totodile :)
> nickname totodile 'ferris' if male, 'dahlia' if female

NeoShade

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 19, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him/his
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Genesis > head west
You begin to travel west, but the young girl stops you. "Wait! What do you think you're doing? It's dangerous to go out without a Pokémon! Wild Pokémon jump out of the grass on the way to the next town."

Genesis > enter professor's laboratory
You're inside the world-famous Elm Pokemon Lab. Fancy lab equipment and shelves full of books far beyond your level of comprehension line the walls. Professor Elm is sitting at a computer at the far end of the room, while his aide is studying pages of notes nearby. Windows let in light from the east and west, and a door leading out to New Bark Town is to the south. A staircase in the corner of the room leads upstairs to Professor Elm's home.

Genesis > talk to professor elm
The Professor, clearly engrossed in his work, turns with a start when you announce yourself. "Oh... uh, hi! I've been waiting for you! Do you know anything about my research?" Your eyes glaze over as the Professor goes begins to monologue about his studies, but you snap back to attention when he offers you a Pokémon: "Can you walk beside this Pokémon outside of its Pokéball, to see if this brings any special feelings or bonds between Pokémon and people?"

You nod your agreement to the Professor, who produces three Pokéballs (clearly labeled with the names of the Pokémon held within) and sets them on the desk in front of you. "Here are some Pokémon you can choose from... Oh, hey! I got an email!" Now it's Professor Elm's turn to lose interest as he studies his computer screen, leaving you to choose a Pokéball.

There are three Pokéballs here.

Genesis > exit
You’re in New Bark Town, a small, quiet town nestled in the foothills of the East Johto Mountain Range. There are four buildings here: your house, the Elm Laboratory, a house to the southeast and a house to the southwest. A path leads out of town to the west, and the Tohjo River borders the town on the east. You can see a young girl here. You can see a burly man here. A shady character appears to be lurking around the Elm Laboratory.

Genesis > go west
Individual action limit exceeded. Action ignored.

Tired Pigeon > NO
"NO!" you exclaim firmly, to nobody in particular.

Tired Pigeon > take first pokeball
You can't see a Pokéball here.

Genesis > enter professor's lab

Genesis > check machine

Genesis > pick totodile :)

Genesis > nickname totodile 'ferris' if male, 'dahlia' if female

Last edited:

poopawman

High-end Procrastinator
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
Water, Steel
Pokédex Entry
>enter professor's lab
>take middle pokeball

SlasherMacGuff

Extremely Popular Nuzlocker (Don't look that up)
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 17, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
me is a boy
Pokémon Type
Steel
Pokédex Entry
Think's it's funny but mostly gets people to laugh out of pity. And sometimes not even that.
>Ignore Professor Elm
>Exit lab
>Go West

Lumaeus

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is trying its best to fight the good fight.
Welcome back! I'm excited to see how this goes, and I'm happy to see your thought process and choices in the reboot.

I'm going to guess that we got the Pokeball, but are stuck on the "Do you want to give this Pokemon a nickname? YES/NO" screen, so:

>YES
>Neo
>Exit Lab
>Go west

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
Good to see this back again. No real commands from me this update though since I'm confident we've desynced somewhere in these commands, probably the nicknaming, so I'm not 100% sure where we're at.

>Examine Trainer Card
>Examine Bag

Also, the yellow-on-white font is really hard to read. I'm using a Dark Mode theme, so the text default color is white. You might consider manually making it black or whatever color since you're controlling its background anyway.

Lumaeus

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is trying its best to fight the good fight.
OH. Good thinking Time Master Eon and RubyClaw. We might be needing that soon.

NeoShade

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 19, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him/his
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
@Lumaeus Thank you! I'm happy to be back, and I'm glad that you approve of the decisions I've made this time around. As you'll see in a moment though, there are still some places where differences between the game and the world I present are going to occasionally trip some people up. Nothing too major though.

@Rumors You're right, you did desync during the nickname process. Good eye. Also, sorry for the font colour. I've set it all to black now, so hopefully that's an improvement. If not, let me know what else I can do. I always forget about dark themes.

So, I had a couple of ways I could go with this update. My first thought was to say "Nah, there's no middle Pokéball, because they're arranged in a triangle shape", but then I figured that the entire update would achieve nothing at all, so I gave you some leeway. Instead... well, you'll see. Let's just say that you're not going to be able to exit the lab by entering > Exit Lab any more.

poopawman > enter professor's lab
You're inside the world-famous Elm Pokemon Lab. Fancy lab equipment and shelves full of books far beyond your level of comprehension line the walls. Professor Elm is sitting at a computer at the far end of the room, while his aide is studying pages of notes nearby. Windows let in light from the east and west, and a door leading out to New Bark Town is to the south. A staircase in the corner of the room leads upstairs to Professor Elm's home.

There are three Pokéballs here.

poopawman > take middle pokeball
You make your decision and pick up the second Pokéball, opening it to reveal a Totodile.
What nickname will you give to your Totodile?

SlasherMacGuff > Ignore Professor Elm
That nickname is too long.

SlasherMacGuff > Exit Lab
You decide on the name "Exit Lab" for your Totodile.

SlasherMacGuff > Go West
You can't go that way.

Lumaeus > YES
"YES!" you shout proudly. Exit Lab agrees with you.

Lumaeus > Neo
You can't see Neo here. But he can see you.

Lumaeus > Exit Lab
You call Exit Lab's name, but he doesn't seem used to it yet.

Lumaeus > Go west
You can't go that way.

Time Master Eon > Go East
You can't go that way.

Time Master Eon > Enter home
You can't see your house here.

Time Master Eon > Go upstairs
This is the Professor Elm's family home. It's a combined space, much like your own, with comfy couches surrounding a coffee table, a big TV, and a fully equipped kitchen. There's a fancy trophy case in the corner. A staircase leads back down to the Pokémon Lab. Professor Elm's wife son are here.

Time Master Eon > Access PC
You can't see a PC here.

RubyClaw > Withdraw Potion
You can't see a Potion here.

RubyClaw > Head Downstairs

RubyClaw > Talk to Mother
You can't see your mom here.

RubyClaw > Go South
Professor Elm stops you on your way out. "Hey, listen. I have this acquaintance that people call Mr. Pokémon. He keeps finding weird things and raving about his discoveries. Anyway, I just got an email from him saying that this time it's real. It's probably another Pokémon Egg, but we're still so busy with our Pokémon research... Wait! I know! You can go in our place, right? Can we count on you?" Once again, you nod your agreement. "His house is past Cherrygrove City. Go north a little past Cherrygrove. I'm counting on you!"

You start to make your way out of the Lab again, but are stopped this time by the professor's Lab Assistant. "Wait, before you go, I want you to have these to help with your task."

You received 5 Potions.

Finally free, you step outside, only to find Ethan playing with his Aipom while waiting for you. "Hi! So you picked... a Totodile! That's a cool Pokémon you have! When you walk with it, it'll become more friendly. You should turn around and talk to it sometimes, too. Oh, that's right! Why don't you show it to your mom? See ya!" Ethan and Aipom wander off to the west.

Rumors > Examine Trainer Card
A standard Johto League Trainer Card. It has your photograph, name, Trainer ID (52002) and score (20). There's also a place for you to sign the card.

Rumors > Examine Bag
It's a bag to store all your stuff. It currently contains:
- $3000
- Your Trainer Card
- Exit Lab's Pokéball
- 5 Potions

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)