• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Happy new forum! We decided this was a golden opportunity for us to feature a fresh new imported run!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Screenshot Sinnoh Teen Commentary Summer of Productivity: A Renegade Platinum Tasklocke

Thread Description
Bringing together fun and responsibilities. (Part Seven)

Bowser's Family Vacation

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Bless Cheryl. Bless free grinding. Curse Drayano for making a Cheryl fight.

Although back to neutral for getting rid of Cut trees and Strength boulders. Sinnoh has a lot that's locked behind HMs. It's my least favorite part about the region, especially since Sinnoh has so many HMs.

Oof. That surprise Heracross hurts. Alas, glass cannons and Drayano hacks do not get along...

Drayano makes you go to Route 216 before Gardenia!? What!? :O

New Debit's defensive stats are so amazing! Here's to hoping they'll go far!

QuietGuardian

🌱Featurer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Lumaeus Interesting thought. It's not something that I ever considered, though, and you're right that it might put too much work on myself.

@Jimcloud Okay, good; I was afraid I'd have to trek over southwest Sinnoh even more to find yet another gift in this hack…
Drayano doesn't play, but at least he gives us some nice things like that ice route!
So Gardenia won't fuck around with me? That's fine; I intend to behave the same way to her.

@Spectacles It is kind of hard to keep Pokémon alive in Drayano Nuzlockes. Thanks for your support!

@Obelisk Thanks; let's find out!

@Bowser's Family Vacation Some of Drayano's changes are more welcome than others, yeah.
Surprise Heracross do tend to hurt. Those things are friggin' powerful.
Thanks for the support for New Debit! Hopefully those defensive stats will ensure that he does make it far!

Okay! It took a while, but I did my writing, cleaned my car, got my dad’s name off my bank account, finished another week of data work, got an account on the AngelList website (which is actually one word, not two), and practiced with Pivot Tables in Excel—though I could always use more, so Pivot X’s task will be a recurring one. The only task that tripped me up is New Debit’s; turns out I don’t need to manually replace a debit card that expires, since the bank will automatically send me a new one. Also, it actually expires at the end of the month listed on the front, not at the beginning. So I’ll consider finding out that information to be the task that needed to be completed, since now I’m all set with that situation. Which means it’s time to face Gardenia!

Fun would be nice. With luck, this will be more exciting than Roark but won’t kill anyone.

Huh, she leads with a Bellossom. Interesting. Well, that just makes my Poison type all the more of a good choice for a lead!

…Oh. It’s a parafusion user. That explains things. And it’s going to make this harder.

Luckily, Sludge was a 2HKO and Dark 3 was able to outspeed, so he just had to break through once.

And the ace comes out already! Well, let’s see it stand up to the ancient terror of an Aerodactyl.

You’ve GOT to be kidding me…

Okay, ow. Still, Pivot X is faster, and Roserade’s Sitrus Berry brought it out of healing range. One more Wing Attack should seal the deal.

And it did.

New Debit’s defenses will let him stay on the field for a while, and since he’s a special attacker, he’ll be targeting the much weaker of Tangela’s defenses.

Well, Grass Knot did more than I expected, but a critical Power Gem was a OHKO!

Breloom probably has some tricks up its sleeve, but all Scarlet 2 has to do is nail it with one Flying attack and it should go down.

…But not if it outspeeds. There’s that Quiet nature making itself known, I guess…

Damn, now I need another strategy for dealing with this thing. I’m sure Pivot X is faster than it is, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it knows Mach Punch, and given Pivot X’s low defense and lowered HP, that’s not something I’m keen to risk.

So let’s bring out K-S Social and nerf its Attack! I highly doubt Breloom knows any Ground moves, and K-S Social has Ice Fang to get a leg up on it.

Unless, of course, that happens. Which, in hindsight, I should have seen coming.

I restored Pivot X’s HP in case I need to bring him in. Now, what else does Breloom have?

Yep, it knows Mach Punch. And it's a 3HKO, so it’s too risky to leave in K-S Social. Although if I assume it’s going to use that again…

Intercepted!

And Breloom used Mach Punch again, suggesting it has nothing to hit Dark 3 for better damage. This is good. Dark 3 can take it out with Sludge, and thanks to his paralysis, I don’t have to worry about Spore!

Finally! It goes down! Solid work, Dark 3.

I figured that I should let my Fire type have a turn. Plus, Cherrim might have Sunny Day to change its form—which would also help out Clean Car a lot.

And I was right! Thanks for the power boost, sucker!

Okay, nice trick. But thanks to Speed Boost, Clean Car will outspeed next turn. So even if Gardenia heals, Clean Car will take Cherrim’s HP right back down.

See, normally I might agree with you, Gardenia…but the sun’s still out, and it’s not going to fade for a few more turns.

And that’s a wrap!

Well, that wasn’t an ideal outcome, but we made it.

Two down, six to go!

And, in a different sense, five down. Scarlet 2 worked well as a special attacker—something different from what I’m used to from her line—but that lowered Speed cost her in the end. Good night, sweet princess, and flights of other Pidgeotto sing thee to thy rest.

Though I suppose there’s an upside to this; now I can bring back Black Shoe without having the need for a rotating main team.

I do intend to make a good catch, though.

I’m sure you can guess where I’m going with this.

I highly doubt Drayano didn’t include a way to unlock the other forms of Rotom, which is something I’ve never done. So I’m taking advantage of it!

One of my online data science courses is in SQL, a programming language that’s very good to know for working with data. This task is to complete one week’s worth of work for that course.

Now it’s back to game progression.

That’s cute.

Well, now that you mention it…

Double Battles? Ha! I walk on the wild side. I laugh in the face of Double Battles. Ha ha ha ha!

Sure, K-S Social took some damage, but everyone pulled through in the end.

That’s everyone in the building besides Jupiter. But I don’t want that battle to go the same way the Mars one did, with my lack of preparation leading to the loss of a team member. Let’s get everyone up to 30 before charging in.

First step, this!

Final form for K-S Social! Luxray are Electric/Dark in this hack, which does give K-S Social several more weaknesses, but it gives her more resistances, too, including a handy immunity to Psychic.

Dark 3 and Black Shoe have a little while to go yet before reaching their final forms, but they both pick up nice things at Level 30, as well. Replacing Sludge with Sludge Bomb was an easy decision, but I debated for a little while about Muddy Water; I don’t always like trading accuracy for power, but Water Pulse isn’t going to cut it for much longer.

Anyway, everyone made it to 30. Let’s see what Jupiter has to throw at us.

But first…ooh, is this the item that lets me access the room where I can change Rotom’s form? I’ll have to try that out later.

For now, a fight that’s infamous even without Drayano’s difficulty buff…

But we’re off to a good start; I was hoping she’d lead with Golbat, much like she leads with Zubat in vanilla.

That’s why I led with someone who’s fast and strong against Flying.

There’s that newfound strength coming into play! And, speaking of newfound strength…

My team currently lacks Ground coverage, which is Skuntank’s only weakness, so let’s throw the might of a fully evolved Pokémon against it! Plus, it’s primarily a physical attacker, so Intimidate should throw a wrench in its works.

K-S Social’s pretty slow, but fortunately, Skuntank doesn’t go first with anything worrisome.

Thank you, lucky crits!

NO.

As nice as it is to reunite this man with his partner Pokémon, I’m intrigued by that Poké Ball that Jupiter left behind.

Aw, abandoned? Well, let’s fix that right up, shall w—

…Game, listen. I just fought Jupiter of Team Galactic, who was dangerous even before she got the Drayano treatment. Of course I have a full team! Seriously, why can’t gift Pokémon get sent to the PC at all in this game?

So after a forced detour back to the Pokémon Center, I get to take the lonely data creature.

This task is relatively minor; I have a tray on top of one of the bookshelves in my room that I’ve just piled with random junk. I really should clear it out.

Ha ha, I predicted the gift this time!

The Bike Shop manager tries to give me a bicycle at first, but since I already have one, I get a Dawn Stone instead. Not bad at all…of course, I no longer have a male Kirlia…

And since all Eggs hatch super quickly in this hack, I don’t have to wait long at all to get my Togepi. Serino Coyne is a company that a friend of mine recommended I look into for job prospects.

The no reason dancers are gone, so let’s see what this area beyond Cycling Road has in store.

So far, so good. The Trainers aren’t too threatening and give out good experience.

…Ah. So this Psychic stops me from heading to Hearthome until I complete Mira’s sidequest, hm? I suppose I can deal with that. To Wayward Cave!

And next time, I face not one, not two, but three Drayano-exclusive battles…

Lumaeus

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is trying its best to fight the good fight.
Okay! It took a while, but I did [roughly a billion different tasks].
Congratulations on the productivity, the need for which catalyzed this run!

Ouch. I'm sorry to see that. That was absolutely unexpected right there.

Double Battles? Ha! I walk on the wild side. I laugh in the face of Double Battles. Ha ha ha ha!
In a Drayano hack? Madness!

Final form for K-S Social! Luxray are Electric/Dark in this hack, which does give K-S Social several more weaknesses, but it gives her more resistances, too, including a handy immunity to Psychic.
Ooh, that's a hip type combo. Little things like that are fun.

And next time, I face not one, not two, but three Drayano-exclusive battles…
I have no idea what to expect from these but I'm scared.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Ugh, unexpected type coverage. One of the leading causes of nuzlocke deaths. But other than that, you did an awesome job with that battle! That's cool about Luxray being Electric/Dark! And did they always evolve that early on?! I could have sworn it was at least 32 or 36.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"

QuietGuardian

🌱Featurer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
@Lumaeus Thanks for all the support! As for the Drayano-exclusive battles, well, you'll see what they are this update! I will say that I was anticipating two of them, but the third caught me by surprise...

@Spectacles In hindsight, I should have guessed that Breloom would have something strong against Flying. Still, I don't blame myself for thinking that Scarlet 2 would outspeed, or that the lack of STAB would prevent a OHKO from Breloom.
Electric/Dark is a cool typing for Luxray, indeed. And yep, they do evolve normally at Level 30.

@Bowser's Family Vacation I was a little worried for Pivot X against Roserade, too. Good thing Magical Leaf didn't crit, huh?
You know, I hadn't even thought of that, but yeah, that's sort of exactly what the psychic is saying!

Last time, I was forced to detour to Wayward Cave to help a girl whose Kadabra was sending out a distress signal. Now, we find and help her!

But first things first. I have two catch opportunities to take advantage of! Scarlet 4 is the first.

For the second, I’m going to try the lower floors of Wayward Cave, where there are Gible in vanilla Platinum. Maybe Drayano put something interesting down there.

Well, I can skip dupes, but it would’ve been kind of funny if I’d gotten such a common Pokémon after my previous train of thought.

Hey, even if it hasn’t been changed, Gible’s still a good catch! The name refers to a more significant task: I’ve been meaning to set up an IRA for myself for a while now, but in my mind, it’s imposing enough to make my shy away. If I use this Gible, though, I’ll have to overcome my inhibitions and set up an account to store money in for the far future.

Sadly, 99 Earthquake TMs aren’t waiting for me at the end of this path. But King’s Rock isn’t a bad item, at least.

Oh, I also withdrew Tray and gave them the Exp. Share. With the Ghost Gym coming up, a solid Normal type with coverage options could be a very valuable team member.

But enough dawdling. There’s a girl in here that needs my help! I just have to navigate the labyrinthine tunnels and hope that I stumble across that path that will lead me to he—

Welp. That was easy.

Five bucks says she wants to battle me, though.

Eeyup.

I got lucky with that first matchup; Spark was a OHKO.

But then I slipped up. I sent in Clean Car, thinking that even if Porygon2 had something like Psybeam, he could take it down with one or two Brick Breaks—and if it was two, he’d use Speed Boost to ensure he outsped on the second turn.

What I did not count on was Porygon2 using Trace to copy Speed Boost. There goes Clean Car’s speed advantage—and without Speed Boost, he’s actually quite slow. I don’t want to switch, because whoever I switch to will definitely be outsped, and I don’t know what kind of coverage this Porygon2 is packing. I think it hit him with Tri Attack, which is a clean 3HKO. In other words, I have to hope it doesn’t crit next turn, when it outspeeds and I go for another Brick Break.

Phew.

And then my naturally fast hard-hitter took down the rest of Mira’s team with 2 Crunches.

Gotta be careful of those knee-jerk reactions, Mira. Anyway, you needed help?

Oh. That’s interesting. So instead of bringing Mira out of the cave, I have to bring her in. Well, it’s still free healing, so sure, let’s go!

And free healing means lots of training, which eventually means…

I get a Venusaur! And while I am wary of Petal Dance causing confusion and locking its user into using it, it has its Gen V+ BP of 120. Coming from a Mild Venusaur, that’s gonna do a lot.

Tray also gets some chances to battle. Their moveset is pretty good for Level 28, including Tri Attack and Discharge. I also taught them Hidden Power, which turned out to be Grass—not bad to have on hand when going through a cave.

Found it! Of course, now I have to navigate my way out of this cave. But that’s just fine, since, say it with me, folks, free healing!

I got everyone to Level 32, then decided that was enough. As thanks, Mira gives me 99 Dazzling Gleam TMs—a move that her Kadabra liked to use in our Double Battles.

“A lot of Pokémon,” she says…

With that cleared up, it’s time to cross through Mt. Coronet to Hearthome City!

…Or can I? Dawn surprised me with a battle once before, and she might do it again.

Looks like my suspicions were on the money. I led with K-S Social, thinking that she’d be a good candidate for a lot of Pokémon that Dawn might lead with.

That did not turn out the way I wanted. Black Shoe, I need your help!

He took an Avalanche on the switch, which, as you can see, barely hurt.

Dark 3 shows off his new power and prevents that Grotle from adding to its kill count!

This’ll be a little trickier, since Lopunny is definitely faster than Clean Car to start. Hopefully a turn of Speed Boost will fix that.

Okay, I didn’t get very good screenshots, so here’s what happened. That damage to Clean Car is from a Fake Out and Jump Kick. The damage to Lopunny is from Brick Break. To my surprise, Clean Car couldn’t outspeed after a Speed Boost, but it’s been two turns, so I’m confident he’s faster now.

There’s just one problem: Buneary and Lopunny can learn Quick Attack, but I don’t know if Dawn’s has it in its moveset. If it does, Speed Boost won’t mean a thing, and I’d need to heal to prevent a death. If it doesn’t, it’ll probably go for Jump Kick again, which does more damage than what a Super Potion can heal. I don’t know if anyone can tag in safely, since Lopunny will probably be able to get in two attacks before it goes down.

All right, I’m going to go for it and hope it doesn’t know Quick Attack…

Noooooooooooo!

Pivot X, AVENGE.

That was a Wing Attack, which I guess means that Lopunny is Normal/Fighting. No wonder Jump Kick packed such a punch (or a kick, I suppose).

Get out of here.

Yes, they are. And you’ve killed two, now. I’ll give you a fifteen-second head start.

But then she gives me the Vs. Seeker. Grr…dammit, Dawn, stop trying to bribe me with good stuff after you kill my Pokémon!

Well, this sucks. Clean Car wasn’t a stupendous fighter, but I was really looking forward to using him as a Blaziken. He missed out on a lot of potential.

So once again, I no longer have a rotating team.

Now, let’s see if I can get to Hearthome without another surprisingly strong opponent.

Cyrus, I swear to God, if you pull out a surprise battle, too…

Good.

This route and its Hikers should be more manageable.

See: above.

Platinum doesn’t have an accented e on the nickname screen, or I’d have named her Resumé. My resumé is a little out of date, so this task is to update it.

Now, our path to Hearthome should be clear…

Uh, hold on. Why is this gatehouse empty? I have a bad feeling about this…

Bad feeling increasing!

…Okay, on the one hand, I know I said I wasn’t looking for another tough battle just yet. But on the other hand, I don’t think this is going to be an unreasonably difficult fight, and I want to prove I can rise to the challenge that this game throws at me. Plus, New Debit is at the front of my party, and he’s got a substantial advantage over Bug types. So…fine, I’ll take you on, Aaron! Then I’m going to Hearthome, and no one can stop me.

First match goes well. Dustox’s bulk can be a pain to deal with, but New Debit had enough of an advantage to win the fight handily.

Beautifly, on the other hand, is turning out to be more of a problem. Energy Ball lowered New Debit’s Special Defense, and Power Gem didn’t OHKO because of the Focus Sash. I need to heal and hope either that Aaron does the same or the next Energy Ball doesn’t do too much.

As it turns out, both happened. Aaron used a Full Restore, and Beautifly’s next Energy Ball didn’t even get New Debit into the yellow. And with its Focus Sash spent, Power Gem took it out in one hit.

Venomoth is next, huh? I don’t know what tricks it has up its sleeve…

…and I don’t want to find out.

Dang, this is going to be less straightforward. Scizor’s only weakness is Fire, and my Fire type just kicked the bucket. I’ll have to target its somewhat low Special Defense, then; Power Gem may not be super-effective, but hopefully it’ll do good damage.

First, let’s get New Debit back to full HP to better tank whatever Scizor has in its repertoire.

…I did not consider that. This could be bad.

Hopefully this’ll help.

I’m missing some screenshots, but what happened was that Scizor used another Swords Dance before Thunder Wave connected. Next turn, it was fully paralyzed while New Debit used Power Gem for a little under half its HP.

But then it got an attack in. Okay, hopefully New Debit’s stellar defenses will allow him to survive the hit and let him hit back with Shock Wave, so as to not drive Scizor into potential healing range.

Oh, shit. That wasn’t even a crit, and it OHKO’ed New Debit even with his massive Defense! This is bad. This is really bad!

I need that Scizor taken out as quickly as possible, and for that, I need a good special attacker. K-S Social and Pivot X fall short of that requirement, and both Tray and Dark 3 have their STABs resisted. Black Shoe may be my best hope.

I was hoping this would take out the rest of Scizor’s HP…but it only got it into the red! And if New Debit couldn’t take an attack from this Scizor at +4 Attack, I’m afraid Black Shoe’s chances are next to none…

NO. HE IS NOT DYING TODAY! Even from beyond the grave, New Debit isn’t going to let this Scizor win!

It’s down! It’s down! We’re not totally screwed!

And that wasn’t even the ace. But I’m starting off on good footing, getting K-S Social to drop Drapion’s Attack. Chances are it’ll have a Bug attack, but as long as Drayano didn’t change Drapion’s typing, it won’t get STAB and hopefully won’t do too much damage.

And it did not! Unfortunately, Spark didn’t do a whole lot, either. Plus, Drapion is faster, and if it scores a critical hit, that Attack drop will go right out the window.

Screw type matchups; Drapion is another Pokémon with lower Special Defense than Defense, and it at least doesn’t doubly resist Grass.

Dance, petals, dance!

We did it! The Quick Claw and a lucky crit got us through this in the end!

Aaron is at least courteous enough to give me TMs for X-Scissor after our fight.

FINALLY, WE MADE IT!

Oh hey, the Buneary in this scene was changed to a Happiny. I don’t really care right now.

SANCTUARY!

He was the defensive rock of our team, but even a solid defense can be penetrated by a strong enough force. At least you paved the way for Black Shoe to finish off that Scizor, New Debit. Rest in peace.

Sheesh, I haven’t even gotten my third badge and this is already one of my bloodiest ever Nuzlockes. Drayano really doesn’t play around.

Let’s build up the ranks. Jigglypuff and Wigglytuff aren’t known for being exactly good, but I’m hoping they got a buff in this hack. Plus, they’re part Normal, which means they’re immune to the next Gym’s type, and they’re part Fairy, which means they can use one of their STABs to hit Ghost types. Resume looks promising: she’s Quirky with Magic Guard.

Before I return to an area with Pokémon that might kill mine, though, let’s look around the city. I wonder if there’s an Up-Grade anywhere around here; Tray’s starting to suffer from first-stage syndrome…

And speak of the devil! Bebe, you get a point in my book!

Just what Tray needed. To evolve them, I just needed to use the Up-Grade from the menu, like an evolution stone.

I wandered around Hearthome some more, which yielded some interesting things and a few nice items, but nothing too significant. So let’s get this Jigglypuff trained up. I’m not sure what the ideal level to evolve her is, so I’ll get her a few levels and see what sort of moves she learns.

To my disappointment, the paths beyond Hearthome are blocked with the vanilla roadblocks, so I can’t go any farther to train or explore. Guess it’s back west, then.

Resume is quick to learn some very solid moves, at which point I decide that’s probably sufficient for her natural learnset. Plus, Wigglytuff does have the benefit of being able to learn a lot of TMs.

Those stats aren’t too bad. I did peek at the documentation after evolving Resume, and it turns out Wigglytuff got a ten-point boost in each of its base stats (except HP). That doesn’t make it into an excellent Pokémon, but it certainly helps.

In fact, Resume is easily able to take on foes by herself now! And it is nice that she’s in the Fast experience group, allowing her to level up quickly.

After a little while of training, I decide to check out the Gym.

Level 27? That’s lower than I expected. Did I overlevel? Is Fantina weaker than Aaron?

Then again, Fantina has not just these lower-tier Trainers in her Gym, but also Ace Trainers. I’ll do a bit more training, then come back to check them out.

I’ll also train up another Pokémon for Fantina. As I said before, I’d be very surprised if Drayano didn’t include a way to change Rotom’s forms, so I want to check that out. Also, I’m expecting him to have implemented the Gen V+ mechanic of Rotom’s different forms having different types. Since Rotom can still learn Ghost moves, that potentially means I could have a non-Ghost type with a Ghost attack, giving SQL Week an offensive advantage against the Gym without the defensive weakness.

Plus, SQL Week is Timid, which is pretty damn good for a Rotom.

Yep, here we go! Now I have a decision to make. I’m going to assume that Rotom’s different forms do have their different types—if I’m right, my thought process will be more accurate, and if I’m wrong, there’s not going to be that much difference between the forms anyway.

First is Heat Rotom. Electric/Fire is weak to Water and Rock, and it would have a double weakness to Ground…except that Rotom has Levitate, negating that entirely. So that’s only two weaknesses, which is nice. Its form-specific attack is Overheat, which isn’t good for long-term battles but packs a punch and would add some useful Fire coverage to the team.

Next is Fan Rotom. Electric/Flying is only weak to Ice and Rock, and it gets Air Slash, which is probably my favorite of the form-specific attacks, since it has the highest accuracy and its side effect is actually positive. Its main downside is redundant typing with Pivot X—although they do fill different roles, what with one being a really fast physical attacker and the other being a decently fast but more defensive special attacker.

Then comes Frost Rotom. Defensive-wise, it’s inferior to Heat Rotom and Fan Rotom, with three weaknesses: Fire, Fighting, and Rock. It would give me Ice coverage, but only with Blizzard, which is a strong attack but has unreliable accuracy unless it’s hailing—and Rotom can’t learn Hail. Not the most appealing choice.

Wash Rotom, on the other hand, is a solid option. Thanks to Levitate, it has the fewest weaknesses of any of Rotom’s forms: only Grass. It gets Hydro Pump, whose accuracy isn’t great but isn’t terrible either. The main reason I’d lean away from it is that Water isn’t a hard type to come by, and I’ve got a good Water type on the team already.

Finally, there’s Mow Rotom. It has the most weaknesses of all the forms, with a total of four. Its form-specific attack is Leaf Storm, which is similar to Overheat except that it doesn’t provide new coverage, thanks to Dark 3. In fact, what with Dark 3 knowing Petal Dance, we already have a strong Grass attack on hand, so Mow Rotom wouldn’t add much.

I’m going with Heat Rotom. Fire coverage could have saved us against Aaron’s Scizor without having to rely on luck as much as I did, and while Overheat does cut Special Attack in half, I can use it to end a matchup, then switch out against another enemy to remove the stat drop.

And confirmed, I have an Electric/Fire type now!

SQL Week makes good progress, and after a little while, I’m ready to head back into the Gym.

First, though…it’s better to be safe than sorry, and I really don’t want Black Shoe to go the way of Clean Car and miss out on his final form soon before reaching it. So here, Black Shoe, here’s a reward for all the important work you’ve done.

Awesome! Now, let’s see what the other Gym Trainers have to show us.

Still low leveled…well, let’s get past this guy and the next Trainer and check out the Aces.

Now, if I remember this Gym, there are two more Gym Trainers, and they’re both Aces.

Okay, Level 29, and a team of three. That gives me what seems like a more accurate idea of what Fantina’s team will be like. I’m guessing she goes up to…Level 32, maybe 33. But since I don’t feel quite as confident as I did going into Roark and Gardenia—I’m just imagining all sorts of coverage that Fantina's ghosts might have—I’m going to give myself a bigger level advantage. (Plus, I’m getting kind of tired of my Pokémon dying.) Let’s take everyone to level 37.

That’s all the Gym Trainers taken care of.

Now, we grind a few more levels, and…

Here’s the team for Fantina! I really don’t know what to expect from her lead, so I’m leading with K-S Social and hoping for the best. Dark 3 is taking a break from the team since Ghost resists one of his STABs and it often pairs with Psychic attacks. Everyone else can boast either an offensive or defensive advantage against Ghost types (or, in the case of K-S Social, both).

Of course, I’ve got a new set of tasks to take care of, now. Between the last checkpoint and this one, I’ve had three deaths in Scarlet 2, Clean Car, and New Debit. The latter two have already have their tasks dealt with, but since Scarlet 2’s was a recurring task, I have to write another two pages of The Saga of Scarlet. As for the current team, Resume, Tray, and SQL Week all have new tasks and Pivot X has a recurring one, so they must be worked on, too. Fortunately, as I’m writing this, I’ve already made good progress, so hopefully I won’t be away for too much longer!

Lumaeus

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Cute
Pokédex Entry

Henrily

Mate what the heckin' bullshit
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
"He" is fine
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
Your daily (not really) dose of dampening dallies.
Gosh darn your Renegade Plat Nuzlocke is going much less bloody than mine. I had half a box of dead stuff at Fantina. Good job man. But oof nonetheless.
Also if Black Shoe had his other ability, it would be Drizzle by now - yes, Blastoise has Drizzle as a second ability.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
Drayano is doing really interesting things with the NPCs you help in Platinum. I'm excited to see what's done with Riley!

Priority moves doing you in is the worst, isn't it?

I have a theory: Renegade Platinum really hates rotating teams.

If Aaron jumps you with a surprise battle... Then I'm sure Drayano will make at least Flint fight you, too, considering that you meet him before the Pokemon League in vanilla. And knowing Drayano... He'll probably make Bertha and Lucian fight you, too.

I've always wanted to use a Rotom in a nuzlocke, but most games, you can't access its other forms. I'm glad that Drayano has given Rotom a chance to reach its full potential in its home region!

Go, K-S Social, go!

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Oh man… what cruel deaths this update. That Scizor probably had Technician to boost Bullet Punch’s attack as well. Man, I was so worried about Black Shoe!! That’s awesome that Blastoise can learn Focus Blast- more type coverage is exactly what Blastoise needs. Ooh look at all the pretty colorful movesets your team has! Such good coverage. I think you’re ready for Fantina!

By the way, maybe it’s just something with my computer, but there were a few screenshots that didn’t show up starting with the encounter with Cyrus. It was only like 4 and then they came back.

QuietGuardian

🌱Featurer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
@Lumaeus Hooray! Now, even if I lose all my Pokémon and/or fail to complete my given tasks, I can still consider this run a success!

@Henrily Well, thanks, that makes me feel a bit better.
Aw, I missed out on a Drizzle Blastoise? Eh, I guess Black Shoe doesn't know that many Water moves right now.

@Bowser's Family Vacation I'm glad you're excited to see what Drayano did with Riley, because I, quite frankly, am scared.
This game isn't kind to rotating teams, no, but that's not gonna stop me from continuing to try!
Yeah, that E4 thinking is similar to mine. I'm expecting to meet at least 3/4 of them before I get to the League.

@Spectacles Technician would make sense, now that I think about it. Even so, I'm surprised New Debit fell so easily.
Yay, coverage and pretty colors! (Also, it's Aura Sphere rather than Focus Blast; MUCH better accuracy.)
Regarding the screenshots issue, I've sometimes that problem on my phone, but it clears up on a computer. And the images for this update all look fine to me, so it probably is something on your end. Thanks for checking, though.

I got done everything that I needed to get done, so it’s time to take on this dramatic Gym Leader!

Ah, j’ai peur que vous ayez tort, ma chère Championne d’Arène.

(En: Ah, I’m afraid you are wrong, my dear Gym Leader.)

Turns out K-S Social was a good choice of lead! She should run circles around a Drifblim!

Calm Mind did worry me a bit, but luckily, even Drifblim’s sky-high HP couldn’t prevent Crunch from oneshotting it.

Ooh, now here we go. I’d envisioned all sorts of coverage for Fantina’s ace—something for Dark types (probably Dazzling Gleam), an Electric or Grass attack for Water types, possibly a Psychic move…SQL Week should be in a good position to fight it with their Shadow Ball and Expert Belt. I just hope it doesn’t know—

Damn it! It does!

Oh, but things are still looking pretty good. SQL Week’s bulk stopped Power Gem from doing more than half their HP, and Shadow Ball more than powerful enough to 2HKO. Of course, Mismagius is faster, so I have two options: I can either switch someone else into a Power Gem and hope they can take out Mismagius in one hit without being in too much risk themselves, or I can hope Power Gem won’t crit and go for the kill with SQL Week.

I choose Option B. Come on, SQL Week, hang in there…

Yes! Made it!

Since I still only have Super Potions as healing items, this does mean that SQL Week is probably out for the rest of this battle. But I can work with that; there are plenty of others who are ready and willing to participate!

Spiritomb aren’t quite as threatening now that they actually have a weakness.

I was worried about what coverage Gengar would have, so I at least wanted to outspeed, but there goes Pivot X with the perfectly-timed crit!

Dusclops could be thought of in some ways as the opposite of Drifblim—low HP but high defenses. If that’s the case, it seems to have outperformed its counterpart here.

Hm, things have gotten a little trickier. I figured Fantina would heal, but I went for Crunch anyway, hoping it’d still be a 2HKO even with burn’s Attack drop. Not only was it just short of one, Dusclops’s Leftovers have brought it back into the green. With that burn, K-S Social won’t be able to end this bout for another couple of turns, at least.

So let’s just go ahead and fix that.

Luckily, outside of Will-O-Wisp, Dusclops’s offensive options seem to have been limited; it just hit K-S Social with a Shadow Punch.

Let’s close out this battle with my brand new Blastoise!

So, Banette has a similar opening strategy to Dusclops, hm? Well, unfortunately for it, Black Shoe, unlike K-S Social, is more than just a physical attacker.

That’s the third Gym down! That was easier than I expected it to be, though it wasn’t a cakewalk.

Compliments, a badge, and 99 Shadow Ball TMs! Today’s looking to be a good day!

To make room for Dark 3 to come back, Tray is going to take a break from the main team, partially because the Fighting Gym is coming up and partially because I want my adopted Porygon2 to be safe.

I knew this was coming, but I’m not too worried; after Fantina, Terry shouldn’t be that much of a challenge.

I led with SQL Week expecting Staravia, since the former is a pretty fast Electric type who could OHKO. Which they did.

Let’s get Dark 3 some experience that he missed out on from the Fantina grind, shall we?

Although then, like an idiot, I left him in against Snorlax, thinking that his Rock Smash could do good damage and completely forgetting that I was locked into Petal Dance. And attacking a Snorlax with a special attack (at least, one that isn’t Fighting type) is usually a bad idea.

Fortunately, Snorlax just used Amnesia and Yawn against Dark 3, so he didn’t take any damage by the time he finished his Petal Dance, and I switched into someone better suited to take down this chubby foe.

Luckily, it didn’t attack her, either.

Terry’s Heracross was ready for a Flying-type opponent, but that only gave it the chance to get in one Brick Break, which wasn’t enough to threaten Pivot X.

Good, Terry’s learning! That’ll help him become a stronger Pokémon Trai—wait, that might not be that good, actually…

Anyway, with that battle wrapped up, it’s time to head to Solac—

Oh? What’s this?

You’re telling me! I guess this is like Team Rocket taking over the Safari Zone in SGSS?

Let’s check it out.

Ah, so they’re hitting up the mansion for its wealth? Makes sense.

The handful of Grunts patrolling the yard are dealt with easily.

And hey, I can get a catch here!

Not the most exciting option, but I’ll take it. As for the task, my LinkedIn profile needs to be updated (like my resumé did).

A movie crew blocks the way to the rest of the route…which potentially means that, by my rules, I could get a catch on both parts of Route 212! But that’ll come later.

So Saturn’s the one I’ll have to deal with for this event? He’s who I would’ve guessed, since I’ve already fought Mars and Jupiter, but it’s good to have that confirmed.

Although Terry’s presence makes me worried that when I face Saturn, it’ll be in a Double Battle…

There are several more Grunts to defeat inside the mansion, and upon defeating each one, a Clefairy is released from the room they were guarding.

Or, in one case, a Happiny.

Geez, Dark 3 took a lot of damage from that first Grunt’s Seviper. They must get Sniper in this hack to take out so much HP with a critical hit.

I see Team Galactic has adopted the challenge of the place they’ve invaded. All right, let’s give it a shot!

Grr, I just barely missed the target, thanks to having to switch out and Focus Sash shenanigans. But you bet I’m trying again, and this time, I’m coming in prepared!

Made it the second time around. I was able to anticipate the Focus Sashes and plan around them, and, in one case, I used a Super Potion to stall for a turn.

Looks like that was the last Clefairy I had to free. I wonder what they’ve got planned for this unfortunate surrounded Grunt?

TAKE COVER! GET DOW—ah, who am I kidding, it’ll probably turn into Harden or something.

Or that. That works!

Very nice! That’ll help me do a bit of extra grinding right now.

Here he is, the man himself! Although I am thinking: if I’ve got Terry fighting with me, who’s Saturn going to have fighting with him?

…Huh. That’s…not what I expected. I imagine he’ll be stronger than, say, a random Galactic Grunt.

This could be tricky.

Well, I have a substantial level advantage, at least. Black Shoe may not have any type advantages here, but he can still hit both opponents with Muddy Water.

Things are looking a biiit less comfortable now. Terry’s already down one Pokémon, and Thunderbolt could mean trouble for Black Shoe if Wigglytuff sets its sights on him. Plus, Muddy Water didn’t do that much. I might have to switch someone in…I’ll go with Resume. She’s got plenty of HP to take a hit on the switch, and her attacks are nothing to sneeze at.

Well, the good news is that both opponents focused on Terry, not me. The bad news is that he’s down to half his team. To his credit, though, his Heracross did use Knock Off to get rid of Bronzong’s Leftovers. That would have been problematic, especially because I think I’m gonna target Backlot first. I have a better idea of what to expect from Saturn, and Bronzong isn’t much of an attacker, so I should be safe leaving it alone for the time being.

Two Moonblasts and the first one goes down!

Buuut I might have to switch again. Bronzong has hit Resume with two Gyro Balls now. Thankfully, she’s slow enough to stop them from doing too much damage, but she’s already in the yellow, and her high HP makes healing her with Super Potions a tough job. I’ll want someone who can take a Gyro Ball and, ideally, resists Electric.

Here’s someone who fits both of those criteria—and who has good bulk in general, too!

Raichu used Teeter Dance to try and throw a wrench in our works, but it was just temporarily troublesome.

Although now SQL Week is packing much less of a punch. But if Saturn and Backlot have two Psychic types out, I can think of a good Pokémon to switch to!

Even better is that Espeon’s Defense is a lot lower than its Special Defense. One Crunch should do the trick.

I wasn’t expecting Dazzling Gleam, but it actually didn’t do too much damage. It probably had its BP reduced thanks to targeting two opponents at once.

Anyway, that’s Backlot all taken care of! Now for Saturn.

Bronzong brought down Snorlax right after Espeon fainted, so on the turn I took to send in Black Shoe (because I know Saturn is packing a Fighting type and I don’t want K-S Social facing it), Prinplup finished Bronzong off.

Ooh…Octillery can have all sorts of coverage, including Bullet Seed, which could really hurt either Black Shoe or Prinplup. But I don’t know who’d be a safe switch, and Black Shoe’s bulk should protect him pretty well.

Oh, nice! I didn’t even have to worry about Octillery’s attacks! Luck is on my side once more and caused that Grass Knot to crit.

Now for Saturn’s ace. I don’t expect this’ll be that bad.

Though that doesn’t mean it won’t be annoying; it got in a Fake Out on the first turn. But at least Prinplup got in a free shot with Aerial Ace. Now, let’s see how it likes taking a Muddy Water!

Wait, that’s not what I wanted to happen!

Good thing I taught this to Black Shoe just before this fight, then.

Yes! A boss Double Battle handled with no casualties!

What? You’re saying that beating Team Galactic didn’t actually stop them from accomplishing their goal? How different from the other interactions I’ve had with them so far!

You’re welcome, but, theoretically speaking, what might such a heroic deed be worth to you?

Nice, an Egg! And it was in the same room as the book on Manaphy, so…could it be a Legendary Egg?

Of course, in order to find out, I have to go back to Hearthome and deposit someone…

Whoa, that is an unusual Egg! It’s rather pretty.

While I wait for it to hatch, let’s see what’s back here, hm?

Oh joy, I get one of the weaker Baby Pokémon this far into the game. Spectacular.

The task refers to taking a few items I’ve had lying around my room for a while to Goodwill.

Let’s hope the Egg produces something more appealing.

Boy, did it ever! I wasn’t that familiar with Manaphy before this, so I looked up its stats, and it turns out it’s basically a Water-type Mew! (That is, stats of 100 across the board.)

The task isn’t a complex one, but it’s still something I should do: I have a big bag of water beads in my room from beginning a fun at-home exercise, but I haven’t done anything with them. The task is to do so, so that I no longer have this bag of them just sitting around.

Based on Tail Glow, I’m guessing Manaphy is more of a special attacker, so Timid works very well!

Now, some of you may be thinking that using a Legendary is giving myself an unfair advantage. Well, let me address your concerns here and now: it’s a Drayano hack. There’s no such thing as giving myself an unfair advantage.

Right, that’s taken care of.

Now, the path to Solaceon should finally be clear.

I held off on the tall grass because I expected a static encounter here.

Excellent, my expectations were correct. While I did say earlier that Spiritomb aren’t as formidable with the introduction of Fairy and an actual weakness, they’re still very solid Pokémon, especially with the Fighting Gym looming on—

You trolling little shit.

And thus, I reach Solaceon Town without getting another catch.

Oh, well. Let’s check out the ruins.

Uh-oh!

Okay, no need to panic. Aaron offered me the choice of battling him, so it stands to reason Lucian will do the same. I’m not entirely sure I can take him, so I can just decline and maybe come back when I’m stronger…

…Oh. Well, then. Can’t complain about that!

Loot! But what’s that sign say?

Cryptic. I wonder what it’s referring to…I suppose I’ll find out later on.

Then, as if by design, an Unown appears right as I turn away from the sign!

No one said my writing tasks have to be for a whole number of pages.

Defog has not been buffed at all, and Drayano removed all fog from the overworld. So there’s virtually no reason to use this HM.

And yet this guy gives me a Choice Scarf for loaning him the HM. Curious.

Back in the town proper, the guy at the newspaper building makes an easy request, and I get a Heart Scale and some Dive Balls.

Speaking of Dive Balls, you might have noticed I’ve had W Wipers the Finneon in my party for a little while. I was planning on training him up to see what changes Drayano had made to Lumineon, but then I found out Finneon was in the Erratic experience group and would take a long time to get to Lumineon. So screw that. When I deposit Nat Geo, I’ll deposit him, too.

Although, as long as I’m moving around my Pokémon, I’ll do something I recently thought of.

Here are all my living Pokémon sorted by the status of their task. Everyone in the “DO IT” box has a task that has yet to be done. The ones in the top two rows have recurring tasks, so they’re likely to stay in this box for the whole run (when not on the team), since their tasks can continually be worked on. The rest have one-time tasks, and once they’re completed, I move them to the “DONE!” box. There’s more of them than I expected…I might have to bring in more Pokémon for the rotating team.

Then again, there’s nothing stopping me from completing the task represented by a Pokémon even if I haven’t used that Pokémon. You’ll notice that Red Cross the Charmander and Serino C the Togepi are in the “DONE!” box, even though I haven’t used either of them. In fact, this new way of organizing things may motivate me to complete some more tasks just to move Pokémon to the “DONE!” box.

And in fact, it did! I took a break of about a half hour after setting this up, during which time I updated my LinkedIn profile and found out where my National Geographic subscription had come from (birthday present from my aunt and uncle). This box is still less populated than the “DO IT” box, but that’s because a) recurring tasks, while they do involve getting things done, remain in “DO IT” and b) the “DONE!” box doesn’t include my dead Pokémon, whose tasks have been completed. Speaking of which…

I think these valiant fighters deserve a better resting place than a plain box entitled “DAMMIT.” After all, isn’t the whole point of permaboxing instead of releasing to remember them?

And with those changes completed, I think it’s time to end the update. But wait…is it me, or is something missing from this update? Something that I’ve had in every other one until now…wait! Could it be? Why, yes it is! I’ve managed to make it through a whole update without a single death! Maybe this game won’t be kicking my ass as hard anymore! That is, so long as I don’t let my guard down. Well, we’ll see if that streak can continue next time!

Bowser's Family Vacation

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
Phew! That was a close call for SQL Week!

Uh oh. He's learning.

The Pokemon Mansion has surprisingly little in it in vanilla. I'm glad to see it get used by Drayano! But wait. You have to do the specific turn challenge to advance? I'm not sure if I like that... I do like the Lucky Egg, though! Poor Backlot, forced to fight with those who invaded his home... Did Drayano make that menu sprite for the Manaphy egg? I've never seen it before!

Spiritomb:

Lumaeus

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Cute
Pokédex Entry
Drifblim’s sky-high HP
This joke had better be intentional, because it is the highlight of the update.

Yes! A boss Double Battle handled with no casualties!
A grand achievement, but no surprise from so meticulous a trainer.

Of course, in order to find out, I have to go back to Hearthome and deposit someone…
This need to manually deposit is frankly irritating just as a reader. It's miserable that players have to do this.

There’s no such thing as giving myself an unfair advantage.
100% agree. You go in with whatever pokemon best suit your team.

No one said my writing tasks have to be for a whole number of pages.
Question: why do you measure in pages rather than, say, wordcount? When I write, I find word count to be a more consistent task, since page length can vary wildly based on paragraphs and speech patterns.

cyndakip

🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
she/they
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Part Cyndaquil, part Mudkip, entirely ridiculous. Icon by https://techranova.tumblr.com!
I love the idea of Team Galactic attacking the mansion! That's a really cool addition.

Did Drayano make that menu sprite for the Manaphy egg? I've never seen it before!
Nope! The Manaphy egg originated in Pokemon Ranger as a prize for a special mission, and it could be transferred to the gen 4 games. (Haven't any of you played the Ranger games? You're seriously missing out!)

Congrats on the deathless update, and on completing tasks you technically didn't have to do!

nuzthemonkey

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 31, 2019
Wow, you are doing much better than me when I nuzlocked Renegade. Keep up the good work!

Also, I said no to Aaron. Fifteen times!!!:crying:

you can’t actually say no

QuietGuardian

🌱Featurer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
@Bowser's Family Vacation Indeed, and I expect it won't be the last close call of this run.
Galactic attacking the mansion is an interesting addition, for sure. And while you do have to clear the turn challenge to advance, you're at least able to take it as many times as you want consecutively, rather than having to wait a day like in vanilla.

@Lumaeus The joke being that Drifblim is a Flying type? Yep, that was intentional.
You raise a decent point with word count vs. page count. The two main reasons I'm using page count for this run are because it's easier to track and because if I used word count, the numbers would be a lot bigger and might not fit in a Pokémon's name.

@cyndakip It is a neat addition, isn't it?
I unfortunately have not played the Ranger games, so I didn't recognize the Egg, either. Interesting to know that's where it originated.
Thanks for the support!

@nuzthemonkey Thanks! And Aaron isn't an optional battle after all? I hope Drayano isn't getting inspired by the non-choices that seem to be popping up more frequently in the more recent games.
The update schedule is picking up a bit; I do have a deadline to keep in mind, after all!

Even though Drayano removed fog, I went with my usual order of things of going to the ruins before Lost Tower. I’ll see what I can find here, then move on.

Not the Hoenn ghost I was hoping for, considering I just got the Reaper Cloth from an NPC here. But, beggars can’t be choosers. This task is another writing task: I have another old incomplete fanfic about Prince Hans from Frozen, and I’d like to finish it at some point. Getting more work done on it is the first step towards that goal.

Don’t mind me, I’m just stealing stuff that someone left at the grave of a loved one.

Not a bad place for training, though I still think it’s weird and potentially disrespectful to command destructive magical creatures to battle each other for fun at an indoor graveyard.

So if I find a Rainbow Wing, I come here to summon Ho-Oh. Got it.

I backtracked to Eterna to train Water Bead on their own, without using the Exp. Share. Then I talked to this girl in the Pokémon Center. And since I have the TM for Dazzling Gleam…

Interesting…that must be what the sign from the Solaceon Ruins was referring to. What the end result of this will be, I don’t know, but I’ll have to keep an eye out for other people who have dreams/wishes.

Now, let’s start training Water Bead. I gave them my Lucky Egg to expedite the process.

Given Water Bead’s Legendary stats, I don’t think they have to be at the same level as the others to continue on. Let’s take a look at what awaits us in the very tall grass of Route 210.

I was okay with this at the time, but since then, I’ve encountered Tauros, Pinsir, Scyther, and Miltank on this route. I can’t say I’m not a little disappointed—not that Kricketune don’t have potential, but it’s not as strong as that of the others.

I have a Gmail account that I use for job and job search-related purposes, and its inbox has gotten a little cluttered with unread and old messages. This task is to clean it up.

Not too surprisingly, the way to Celestic Town is still blocked.

But, more importantly, I can now heal more than 50 HP at a time!

Water Bead is quickly shaping up to be an excellent member of the team!

This could be a good catch with the Fighting Gym just ahead. The task refers to uploading a photo of myself to the website of my Toastmaster’s club, which I really should do as its president. (I hope it doesn’t seem like I’m shoving it in y’all’s faces that I’m president of this club, but it does relate to a number of tasks for me to do.)

I may be doing well at this point in the game, but I’m not enough of a daredevil to trigger this Ace Trainer Double Battle.

A smart choice, as it turned out. The first one had a Roserade that I thought I was going to have to stall out of Sludge Bomb. The second one had a Gyarados that took out almost all of Resume’s 164 HP with a single, non-critical Aqua Tail. (Note to self: do NOT mess with a Gyarados in the rain again.)

Fortunately, everyone’s still healthy when we enter Veilstone.

Excellent. This will likely come in handy if/when Tray rejoins the main team.

Now, let’s hit up the department store! Wow, I get to go from Super Potions to Max Potions in just one update!

But for now, Hyper Potions will be sufficient. And Full Heals. Can’t forget those.

Oh, it’s another Elite sighting! But will she want to battle me like Aaron, or will she give me a nice gift like Lucian? Or will she do something else? Better put Water Bead at the front of the party, just in case.

“When the time comes”? That sounds promising, as far as not putting my Pokémon in mortal danger right now goes.

So she’s more like Lucian. And I don’t want to get my hopes up too high, but if she’s a Ground-type specialist and she’s giving me a TM, could it be…

Bertha, you are now my favorite member of the Elite Four in this game. This is going straight onto Black Shoe and Dark 3! And I’m sure there will be plenty more Pokémon who can benefit from it.

With the department store explored and most of Veilstone checked out, it’s time to see what this route has in store for us.

Not a catch, as it turns out. In hindsight, using even a resisted Thunderbolt to weaken a catch 12 levels lower isn’t the best of ideas.

Fortunately, my options for a new catch right now have not been depleted! The Maniac Tunnel starts out fully dug here, which means I can catch the ! and ? Unown in Solaceon Ruins—or I could, if I hadn’t already gotten an Unown there. So the main draw of this place is just to provide me with another wild Pokémon to capture.

Good, I learned my lesson from the Cacnea. This name, like Water Bead’s, refers to something in my room that’s just sitting around and that I should do something with—in this case, a paper bag of photos my grandmother gave me.

Route 214 is one of my favorite Vs. Seeker grinding spots in vanilla Platinum, and Drayano’s changes to the Trainers there do not disappoint.

His roadblocks, on the other hand, are starting to feel restrictive. Back to Veilstone it is, then.

…My arch-nemesis. We meet again.

Go ahead, Dawn, just try to throw another surprise challenge at me.

Hm, it seems that we have reached a ceasefire, at least for the time being. Dawn is likely afraid that I would unleash hell on her were we to battle again. She is right to fear that.

I did get another Drayano-exclusive battle out of this guy, though. He put up a fight, but thanks to Water Bead’s Dazzling Gleam and Resume’s general existence, he was just a grinding spot.

Speaking of grinding, I think it’s time to choose my Maylene team. This is my opportunity to complete another couple of tasks, so even though nobody from my Fantina team has died, it’s a good idea to change things up a bit.

Here we go, then! I boxed Pivot X because his strongest Flying attack is just Aerial Ace and his low Defense makes him vulnerable to counterattacks. Black Shoe is sitting out mostly to give others a turn, including another pure Water type on the team whose task hasn’t been completed yet.

As for the newbies, Credit will gain a resistance to Fighting as a Gyarados, and he’ll also get Intimidate to power down any physical attackers, which Fighting types tend to be. TM Photo obviously has an advantage as a Psychic type. And while both of them do have detrimental natures (Credit is Calm and TM Photo is Impish), Gyarados and Alakazam have high enough Attack and Special Attack, respectively, that they’ll be formidable even with a 10% drop.

The first step should hopefully be quick and easy, and then Credit can actually begin fighting.

Step 1 complete. Now, his training truly begins.

I started around Eterna City, then moved south to…I think it was Route 208, just before Hearthome City. Now that he’s come this far, let’s focus on TM Photo.

…Who needs several TMs to get a good moveset, because when I caught him, his only damaging move was Night Shade.

There are way too many Pokémon that know Feint Attack and won’t go down in one hit on Route 209. Fortunately, I was able to move south, down to Route 212, which worked much better for TM Photo.

Alakazam is a level evolution rather than a trade one in this hack, so getting TM Photo to this point was just a matter of grinding.

And before you know it, the newcomers are ready to see what the Gym is like!

Now, what sense of Maylene can I get from her underlings?

So one of them has a team of five Level 33s, and another has a team of three Level 35s. That suggests…I’d say 38 or 39 for Maylene herself.

There wasn’t too much trouble from these guys. The last one is pretty threatening in vanilla—he has a single, high-leveled Heracross. And while he still had a Heracross here, TM Photo was able to completely shut it down with Psychic.

Now for the big question. If Maylene is going to come at me with a team of Pokémon at Level 38 and/or 39, what level should I grind my team to?

The answer, of course, is 42.

TM Photo is leading because he has both Psychic and Fairy coverage, so if Maylene’s lead resists one of them, he can use the other. Water Bead and Resume also both have Fairy attacks, and Credit would have had a Flying attack…except that I overwrote Bounce for Aqua Tail, thinking that the latter was a better STAB option thanks to more BP, Accuracy, and PP, but forgetting that I was training him up for the Fighting Gym. But if he gets Dragon Dancing, there won’t be much that can resist him, lack of Flying STAB or not.

This update was also deathless, meaning that this is the first time I’m challenging a Gym Leader with no deaths since the last one! That cuts down on my list of tasks a bit, but I still have five to take care of: Resume’s is completed, but Dark 3 and SQL Week both have recurring tasks, and Water Bead, Credit, and TM Photo have one-time tasks that I need to get to. See you when they’re all done!

Lumaeus

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Cute
Pokédex Entry
I have another old incomplete fanfic about Prince Hans from Frozen
Oh, Hans. If only somebody loved you.

This hack is beautiful.

Alakazam is a level evolution rather than a trade one in this hack
As it should be.

But what's the question?

This update was also deathless
Hey, that wasn't so bad. Maybe this should be a new habit?

cyndakip

🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
she/they
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Part Cyndaquil, part Mudkip, entirely ridiculous. Icon by https://techranova.tumblr.com!
I have another old incomplete fanfic about Prince Hans from Frozen, and I’d like to finish it at some point.
That's not a sentence I expected to read, but you've got me intrigued! you can't just let it go, huh?

The task refers to uploading a photo of myself to the website of my Toastmaster’s club, which I really should do as its president. (I hope it doesn’t seem like I’m shoving it in y’all’s faces that I’m president of this club, but it does relate to a number of tasks for me to do.)
Wait, are you saying that shoving your accomplishments in our faces isn't the entire point of this run? :P

Of course! I would expect nothing less from a hoopy frood like you.

Yay, another deathless update! Let's hope that streak continues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)