• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Comic Johto Teen Mon Step By Step By Step

Thread Description
Soul Silver Nuzlocke: Updates Fridays!

Tailsimp

A Universally Under-Rested University Imp
🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!

Time heals all wounds, or so they say. But scars run deep. When the past seems to offer nothing but hurt, how can you move forward?

Step by Step by Step is a story of recovery, dealing with the past, looking to tomorrow, and living on despite it all. Join Alma and Cynder as they journey across Johto trying to rescue a beloved friend. But when as they get caught up in tragedies from long before their time, can the heal what time hasn't?

||Content Warnings||
There will be implication or depictions of death, blood, mental illness and more. I prefer to use a light touch, so there will never be explicit gore or anything of the like. Each chapter spoiler will be marked with individual content warnings on the master-post, so you know what you're getting into. If you ever find something in the comic you believe should be tagged but isn't, please let me know!

Prologue: Cartoon Blood, Implied Drowning
Chapter 1: Death Mention

||Rules||
1. If a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead and is to be placed in a box or released.
2. Only the first pokemon on each route can be caught

2A. No Dupes Clause: If you encounter a pokemon you have already caught, you may try again until you get a new species. (This counts for members of it's evolution line too.)
2B. Gift Clause: Any pokemon gifted to you is allowed and considered a separate capture from your one on that route.
3. You must nickname every pokemon you catch.
4. Elite Practice Clause: Once you start a gym, you cannot leave until it's completed.
5 Anti Grind: The pokemon you use in a gym cannot be more than 5 levels above the Gym leader's strongest pokemon.
6. Item Cap: No more than 9 of any healing items

||Update Schedule||
SbSbS updates every friday!

||Where to Read||
Read right here on the forums!

Or find it on:
||On DeviantArt ||Smackjeeves||

Last edited:

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
HEEEEELLLLLL YEAH, STEP BY STEP BY STEP IS HERE! This nuzlocke comic does not get nearly enough love, and is one of the forum's best undiscovered gems. I, however, am MORE THAN HAPPY TO SHOWER IT WITH ALL THE LOVE IN THE WORLD!!!! SbSbS is amazing and is only going to get better from here, and I am here to support you the whole way, Tails!

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Doesn't actually like birds all that much.
Step by step by step in to the new forums! I like your comic and it's sweet terrifying motherly energies, and i"m glad to see it over in here one of these fancy new galleries. They're nice, aren't they? It'll be sad to wait all the way until august for this to update again, but I'm confident that it'll be worth the wait.

Tailsimp

🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@MouseWithADinosaurTail Thank ya thank ya! Your help and support on my comic are help making it the best it can be!

@Kadew I'm so glad you're enjoying the motherly energies so far! And yeeeeeessssssss these galleries are so nice! Thank you! I'm gonna give my all to make sure the wait is really worthwhile!

Elfin Song

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
she/her or he/him
Man, Alma is such a sweetheart. Like, it's rare that I see someone write a character this pure and actually pull it off, but pretty much, Alma is enjoyable to read because she's a combination of good at heart, determined, and, you know. Human. She wants to be the hero—and, in fact, is very much a hero at heart—but things aren't easy for her. And that is legit refreshing. It's like, no matter how much she wants to do the right thing, that's not going to change the fact that she's not going to catch up with the thief, her mom is going to be a mom (albeit a supportive one who actually wants Alma to go ... after a full night's rest, anyway), and Jabbers might not actually want to go back. You can tell right off the bat that this journey is going to test that headstrong sense of morality in her, and it should be fascinating when Alma has to face things that truly challenge her mission. (I'd imagine Azalea is going to be a barrel of fun, in other words.)

Also? Cyndi is a charmer. Like, I don't think I've ever read a cyndaquil as energetic as this one, and it's fun to see that he's not just arrogant. That streak of fierce loyalty he throws about is just sweet af.

Looking forward to seeing where this journey takes them both!

Rubombee

the ace that stays up the sleeve
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
they/them, shey/ther
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Doesn't even eat baguette, are you sure they're French
Woohoo I finally read this!!

you probably noticed with all the comments i left

okay first. very style art style! i like! much cute
the story may just be getting started, but I already can't wait to know what happens! Intrigued about where you're gonna go with this :3c

Watching thread!~

Zero

Jet's Black Nuzlocke
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her/it
Pokémon Type
Fire, Bug
Pokédex Entry
It is born asleep, and it dies asleep. All its movements are apparently no more than the results of it tossing and turning in its dreams.
Tails! I'm really looking forward to the next chapter of the story (and the sun)! Cyndi and Alma's dynamic is just too cute so I had to draw them! The case of the missing Jabbers? One truth prevails!

https://https%3A%2F%2Fsta.sh%2F01abvnelsm7i

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
NOW THAT IS SOME CUTE AS FUCK FANART!

Tailsimp

🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry

Hey hey all, are we ready for more SbSbS? I technically updated last week, but it was only the chapter 2 cover, so I didn't feel like making a post over that. But now that the first real page of chapter 2 is ready, it's time to celebrate!

Chapter 2 Cover!

Page 58

(Side note, these are hosted on DA which is making the files really compressed and ugly. I wish I knew how to fix it but for now I apologize for the strange CRONCH on these pages)

And now it's time to reply to all of your lovely comments!

Man, Alma is such a sweetheart. Like, it's rare that I see someone write a character this pure and actually pull it off, but pretty much, Alma is enjoyable to read because she's a combination of good at heart, determined, and, you know. Human. She wants to be the hero—and, in fact, is very much a hero at heart—but things aren't easy for her. And that is legit refreshing. It's like, no matter how much she wants to do the right thing, that's not going to change the fact that she's not going to catch up with the thief, her mom is going to be a mom (albeit a supportive one who actually wants Alma to go ... after a full night's rest, anyway), and Jabbers might not actually want to go back. You can tell right off the bat that this journey is going to test that headstrong sense of morality in her, and it should be fascinating when Alma has to face things that truly challenge her mission. (I'd imagine Azalea is going to be a barrel of fun, in other words.)

Also? Cyndi is a charmer. Like, I don't think I've ever read a cyndaquil as energetic as this one, and it's fun to see that he's not just arrogant. That streak of fierce loyalty he throws about is just sweet af.

Looking forward to seeing where this journey takes them both!
Ahhhhhhh thank you for all the kind words! I've read over it so many times since you posted it cause it makes me so happy~!

I'm so glad you think so highly of Alma and Cyndi! Making Alma likable but still feel realistically human was super important to me to nail down in chapter 1. I can definitely say the world has some more pushing in store for this duo. And as for Azalea being a "barrel of fun" well.... :3c

Woohoo I finally read this!!

you probably noticed with all the comments i left

okay first. very style art style! i like! much cute
the story may just be getting started, but I already can't wait to know what happens! Intrigued about where you're gonna go with this :3c

Watching thread!~
I noticed your comments and thank you again for it! I'm glad you like the art style. I'm shifting it a bit for chapter 2 onward, so I hope you still like it. And I hope you enjoy what's coming up next~

Tails! I'm really looking forward to the next chapter of the story (and the sun)! Cyndi and Alma's dynamic is just too cute so I had to draw them! The case of the missing Jabbers? One truth prevails!
AHHHHHHHHHH I LOVE IT SO MUCH! THESE 2 ARE ON THE CASE AND HOT ON THE TRAIL OF THE THIEF!!! THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THIS IT'S SO GREAT!!!

Zero

Jet's Black Nuzlocke
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her/it
Pokémon Type
Fire, Bug
Pokédex Entry
It is born asleep, and it dies asleep. All its movements are apparently no more than the results of it tossing and turning in its dreams.
tails i'm looking at the cover and it looks like you've improved on your anatomy since the last i seen alma! i really like how you did the metal texture on the statues, i would love to have a little desk version of that statue. sbsbs merch when? it's a bold start, no characters, just dialogue. i wonder who's talking!

Rubombee

Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
they/them, shey/ther
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
👀 Don't think I haven't noticed that egg between Ho-oh and Lugia 👀
plot twist it doesn't mean anything at all and i'm just looking at it too much
also i don't do shipping at all but lugia x ho-oh is my otp right now

Krisantyne

oh no
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 10, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon clings to Sharpedo and shares in its prosperity. When its Sharpedo is attacked, Krisantyne will fight alongside it!
Hiii I finally read your comic!

The beginning was super strong and captivating! The literal sea of blood was so extra, and you managed to make that actually epic and not edgy-dark, I'm in awe. :'D And then we cut right to a present day action scene that has aspects of the game's story but none of its slowness, nice!!

At the current point of the comic, there has already been so much to see about Alma and her closest relationships. The strict but good mom is so wholesome, and Cyndi being so fixated on Alma that he gets easily frustrated with every other human is really interesting. I sure hope they never have a fight D:

I should have started reading this sooner! It's really good!!

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
It's back! And it's choice making time, for some mysterious someone. Metallic textures are tricky, especially with complicated forms like legendary bird statues, so kudos for making something very simple yet still clearly reads as "this is metal"

Plain Yogurt

Happy Dairy Product
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pokédex Entry
An ordinary dairy product. Dislikes conflict, and does whatever he can to bring happiness to others.
Just read up on this one, and man, I really dig your dialogue! It flows really well and it's super distinct character to character. Just from that short scene that Gastly was oozing character, and Cynder's a bucketful of confidence and heartwarming in equal supply.

With all this early game stuff cleared up, the adventure truly begins! Looking forward to it!

Tailsimp

🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Time for a very eggy update y'all!

Page 59

And now, reply time~

tails i'm looking at the cover and it looks like you've improved on your anatomy since the last i seen alma! i really like how you did the metal texture on the statues, i would love to have a little desk version of that statue. sbsbs merch when? it's a bold start, no characters, just dialogue. i wonder who's talking!
Thank you! I def feel like I've improved during the hiatus. I also just think the redesign works a bit better! Also glad you liked the start. I figured since we started pretty fast paced in chapter 1, we could try something a little different for chapter 2's start!

👀 Don't think I haven't noticed that egg between Ho-oh and Lugia 👀
plot twist it doesn't mean anything at all and i'm just looking at it too much
also i don't do shipping at all but lugia x ho-oh is my otp right now
All I can say in response to this is :3c

Hiii I finally read your comic!

The beginning was super strong and captivating! The literal sea of blood was so extra, and you managed to make that actually epic and not edgy-dark, I'm in awe. :'D And then we cut right to a present day action scene that has aspects of the game's story but none of its slowness, nice!!

At the current point of the comic, there has already been so much to see about Alma and her closest relationships. The strict but good mom is so wholesome, and Cyndi being so fixated on Alma that he gets easily frustrated with every other human is really interesting. I sure hope they never have a fight D:

I should have started reading this sooner! It's really good!!
Ah thank you for giving my comic a read~

I tried so hard to make sure the opening isn't dark/gritty feeling, and I was so scared of it coming off that way; so it's great to hear this. And i'm also glad to hear you liked the start to chapter 1! So many nuzlocke artists I follow seemed to hate doing the start of their comics (i have seen so many comments like "God I can't wait to be done with this part" or "Now that the boring part is over we can get to the fun stuff!") so I wanted to avoid that. Many seem to enjoy my opening, so I think it was a good choice!

Ahhhhh I love hearing people enjoy seeing Alma and her loved ones. I love seeing families involved in the Nuz comics I read (eyes your comic) so I wanted to find ways to involve Alma's too! Also, Cyndi? A delight~

I'm so happy to hear that you've enjoyed the comic so far. I hope you continue to enjoy it going forward~

It's back! And it's choice making time, for some mysterious someone. Metallic textures are tricky, especially with complicated forms like legendary bird statues, so kudos for making something very simple yet still clearly reads as "this is metal"
Thank yoooou! I worked so hard on making those statues read correctly as metal. Big shout out to @Zero who helped me with it!

Just read up on this one, and man, I really dig your dialogue! It flows really well and it's super distinct character to character. Just from that short scene that Gastly was oozing character, and Cynder's a bucketful of confidence and heartwarming in equal supply.

With all this early game stuff cleared up, the adventure truly begins! Looking forward to it!
I'm so glad to hear you like the dialogue! I always spend forever trying to make sure it sounds right for each character, so I'm glad the hard work is paying off. And I'm always happy to hear more Cynder appreciation! He's a very good baby~

Thank you all as always for all the lovely comments!

Rubombee

Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
they/them, shey/ther
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
👀👀👀 more egg!!
Hmm I Wonder What's In That One i mean :squint: i wonder why it's important!
plot stuff hype!!
- i see the gold and silver on those lights
- also, "we all agree" meaning there's more than two people here
- also they're calling the egg "child". is it the child of oh-ho x lugia *cough cough* i mean thats interesting
im not sorry your ":3c" pretty much confirmed the pairing i cant believe i just made my first ship ever

Last edited:

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Well that certainly is a very important egg, seemingly kept safe by a cult. I do so hope they only have good intentions.

Tailsimp

🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Time for one of our mysterious strangers to take the stage!
Page 60

And now, reply time~
👀👀👀 more egg!!
Hmm I Wonder What's In That One i mean :squint: i wonder why it's important!
plot stuff hype!!
- i see the gold and silver on those lights
- also, "we all agree" meaning there's more than two people here
- also they're calling the egg "child". is it the child of oh-ho x lugia *cough cough* i mean thats interesting
im not sorry your ":3c" pretty much confirmed the pairing i cant believe i just made my first ship ever
-What could be in that eggy that's so important? We all know it's just a baby!
-Gold, Silver, and the glass of the egg-case has a bluish-tint in honor of Crystal~
- :3c
- Hey I didn't confirm anything :3c

Well that certainly is a very important egg, seemingly kept safe by a cult. I do so hope they only have good intentions.
Let us pray the cult has good intentions cause I do not wanna deal with 2 evil shadowy organizations. What is this, Pokemon Colosseum?
As always, thank ya'll for taking your time leaving a comment~

Rubombee

Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
they/them, shey/ther
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
oh wow that stranger surely knows perfectly well what they're doing they're a mood tbh
yeah like i can understand talking to yourself, but screaming? boy they gotta be real pissed here
also, we know this place, hmmm :squints:

- Hey I didn't confirm anything :3c
its my headcanon now anyways and youre gonna have to live with that

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Mysterious cult must've spent too much of their budget on candles, there was none left for maps. And this poor ice cream cartwoman, can't catch a break without weirdos coming up to her cart. She's not being paid enough for this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)