• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Comic Kanto Teen Speechless - A slightly tweaked Fire Red Nuzlocke Challenge

Thread Description
A full-color comic set in the classic Kanto region, but no one knows how to talk. ;) Curious?

Kinetic Kimo

Trainer MIA
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her. Old-school girl words.
Pokémon Type
Water, Psychic

Hello beautiful peoples! You've found your way to the thread for Speechless, a nuzlocke comic depicting a young trainer's trek through scenic Kanto where no one seems to speak with actual words! Please let me explain.
~~~
I started Speechless as a means of improving my artistic skill (and learning to use a recently purchased tablet), and of course because I enjoy nuzlockes and have wanted to start one that I share one with the community for a while now.

I chose Fire Red for the nostalgia of the Kanto region, and then I tweaked a few things to mix up the game-play. (including my starter pokemon! *gasp*)I might tweak a few story-related events as well.

Lastly, I thought up a whole new kind of self-imposed challenge for the development of Speechless, a sort of artist's challenge;
All the characters in this comic cannot speak with words. Symbols, gestures, emoticons, and basic onamonapia is all fine. Expressions such as "Oh" or "Aww" or "Haha" are okay, words written on signs or books are fine, and using words for in-game notifications like [Found Potion!] are all acceptable, just not...speech. :3:

That being said, feel free to tell me what you think these characters are trying to say. If all goes well, it'll be somewhat close to what I was thinking at the time. For your convenience, and so as to not be completely unreasonable, I will write a transcription in a spoiler with each new page that contains a translation of the intended dialogue for the previous page.

Updates will be sporadic at best as I draw between work hours and as energy and inspiration allows. For context, the first page took me a little over a month to complete. Please be patient with me! :bikeride:

I gave the comic a "teen" rating because I anticipate some minor depictions of violence and "symbols" relating to profanities, if anything else more intense comes up I'll change the rating as needed. Really, I've no more idea what's gonna happen next than you do!
~~~
~~~
~~~
Nothing yet, folks!

Deviantart * Comic Fury

Enjoy~​

Last edited:

Master Bryss

zd zd
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Their body is made of an intricate and interconnected weave of their own puns.
This is such a nice intro! Everything feels gentle and breezy, and Cyndaquil As Yet Unnamed looks adorable.

I will watch and smile when one of these turns up in my notifications.

Uberle

Lur King
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
Stays in the distortion dimension where no one bother him
I like this
Art is simple and cute
Also nice job with making the title fitting

violentlydefending

a complete fool
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 20, 2019
Pronouns
he/she/they
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
the art is so cute!! The pacing of this first page feels really soft and nice and I love the bonus self-imposed challenge of having no speech at all! I'm looking forward to seeing exactly how characterization will happen!

pinkshellos

Black Lives Matter !!
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 23, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Flying
Pokédex Entry
A timid Pokémon typically found in groups. The only thing that motivates her more than companionship is food.
I’m excited to see Cyndaquil in action in Kanto, and any other cool Pokémon not very available in the base Firered game! Also, I love how many little details and how much shading you can fit in without making the panels look cluttered!

Kinetic Kimo

Trainer MIA
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Water, Psychic
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Master Bryss Thank you! Despite the anticipated difficulty with the first gym, I was very excited when I rolled up Cyndaquil. Can't wait to draw a typhlosion! (As long as I don't die before then)

@Uberle Thanks! I knew exactly what the title would be the moment the concept entered my head.

@violentlydefending Thank you! It should definitely be interesting. I've been piecing together "dialogue" in my head as I go about my day, trying to figure out how on earth to say certain things. I guess I'll get to find out if anyone else thinks the same way I do. :XD:
Ps. I adore your comic, even though I haven't left a comment yet like the filthy lurker I am. Good luck to us both!

@pinkshellos Thank you! I'm glad my images aren't cluttered, I love going into detail with shading but sometimes I worry I can't leave well enough alone. I'm not sure yet how many other pokemon we'll really see, I didn't randomize the wilds or gift pokemon (Just the in-game trades), but having the ability to evolve certain pokemon now might make things interesting!

By the way, I've added links for Deviantart and Comic Fury now.

glancesherlock

Consulting Detective
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Just wants to stay home and solve crimes.
What a cute concept for a comic! I love the little icons in the speech bubbles, and your art is adorable. MC has such a cute, pleasant design. Can't wait for more!

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Doesn't actually like birds all that much.
Oh I love your art style? It's so clean and bright and round and good eyefeel, and the colors are just, delicious. I'm looking forward to this! Mixing up kanto just a little bit with a different starter and a self imposed challenge of dialogueless will be interesting to see, I can't wait to see the yarn you'll spin under such restrictions!

SnakeWrangler

Sorceress's Knight
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Water, Poison
Oh awesome, I remember reading your older Nuzcomic way back when and enjoying it, so I'm glad to see another project from you here! And both the premise and the artwork are stellar and charming so I'm excited to see more.

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She enjoys showing off her artwork to others, and constantly discovers new techniques to experiment with
Very interesting start! I'm curious to see how this run will play out! That's a cute art style!

Kinetic Kimo

Trainer MIA
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Water, Psychic
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@glancesherlock Thank you! I'm glad you like my speech icons, because there will be a lot to come. I'm very anxious to see what people think of the upcoming page's dialogue, hopefully it's easy enough to understand.

@Kadew I love delicious colors, even though they make everything take longer lol. I'm so glad you like my style. ^^ Ideally the lack of dialogue options will make me think of new ways to portray certain concepts, whether through facial expression and body language or enviromnental cues, and what-have-you. By the way, I love your comic. :D

@SnakeWrangler Omg you read Forced Reality? Aaah, I didn't think anyone still remembered that, it's been forever now! I will admit, that comic (project? Thing?) was my baby, but you know life got in the way over and over as it tends to do, and after so much time I couldn't quite pick up the pieces again. It's so cool you read that though, holy crap. Well this comic will basically be the polar opposite lol, what will all the pictures and heavily limited dialogue options. Hope you enjoy!

@khorale Thank you! I'm certainly going to have fun with it, even if I'm going at the pace of a lethargic snail. I think I'll have a couple interesting little twists to throw into the story. :)
Two and a half weeks later, and I'm like halfway through the sketches for the next page. ;_; There's a lot more panels this time, at least, and the dialogue is getting a bit more in-depth from here on out. I'll try to let you know my approximate progress now and then, just to let you know I'm still alive. :)

Also, I'd just like you all to know that Gary's hair is the bane of my existence. I should really have my protag set him on fire so he can go the rest of the comic bald...

A-K-TheLittleFairy

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Tired or inspired. Loves Cappuccino.
Your comic looks interesting and unique so far and whoa, what a coincidence that your comic also is called "Speechless" (I also have a Pearl Nuzlocke comic called "Speechless" I started in order to work on my art skills and where I try to have as less as dialogue as possible!)!
Btw I also like your art style!

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
This looks great so far! I like the design of our MC, and the no-dialogue aspect seems quite creative~

Emilianite

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 22, 2019
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Ice
Ahh this is very cute, the use of symbols instead of speech is fun and creative! It seems like nice way to focus on mostly on the visuals, it gives their expressions life too. Looks great, it'll be interesting to see how it develops in later parts~

dodo

i write stuff and fumble along as i go
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 28, 2020
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
I'm absolutely terrible at art, and yours looks so good! I like how you used symbols instead of actual text as well. Wondering what starter you pick (bul-ba-saur, bul-ba-saur)

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
Ohhhh, I like the challenge you’re taking on with this one. It gives the whole page a relaxed feeling, like the only thing that really matters is the emotion of it over any sort of lore context or dialogue, because you know... no dialogue. It’s cute!

Tailsimp

A Universally Under-Rested University Imp
🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
Ohhh what a cool challenge for your comic! I'm always interested in seeing ways of conveying everything going on with no speech at all. The first page already has such a nice soft tone between your colors, expressions, and pacing. Can't wait to see more!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)