• Ash has been all over the news lately and this site is no exception! Check out Ashes to Ashes, the latest featured run!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • Happy tapaversary, Guest! It's been about a year since the Tapatalk Takeover; if you'd like to make a donation to us to celebrate the fact that we tapped out of that site, please click here.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about the new Critique Level Tags!
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Screenshot Sinnoh Mature Commentary Sinnoh After Dark: A Neophyte's Blind Platinum Nuzlocke (Fight All Night Remix!)

Thread Description
My fIrst Pokemon game in 21 years. What have I done? -- New! Episode 17

Violenceman

The Night Time Nuzlocker
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Scourge of the underworld, boon to the bandage industry
Welcome to my very first Nuzlocke run! ...... Again. :V:

That's right, the Nuzlocke that refuses to die returns to fulfill all your eventide adventure needs. I am pretty sure that, at this point, this thread as been resurrected more times than a Dragon Ball character. This story was first started in 2016 and has been very slowly meandering through the entirety of Pokemon Platinum. And now that we are on a new forum, I am going to start porting over all the previous updates to get us caught up to where we left off. But this is not just a straight port; I'm not calling it a remix for nothing! I am taking this opportunity to revisit the older posts; reworking the rough edges born from old forum limitations or lack of experience so the old entries match the look and feel of the more modern updates. Which means a fresh coat of paint, new jokes, cut content, and more!

If you were previously following this story, welcome back! I appreciate your patience as we get caught back up and I hope you enjoy the new content. For the new folks, now is a great time to start reading! Updates will come quickly as we revisit the last...oh gosh, 64 updates?...before we return to a normal schedule.

So what is this all about? Why is this called a Neophyte run? Well, I had been interested in getting back into Pokemon and after coming across the forums and reading a few runs, this seemed like a fun way to do so. Here's the thing though...I hadn't played a mainline Pokemon game since Blue originally came out for the Gameboy. 21 years ago. I know virtually nothing about any new features, mechanics, or concepts that have been added since the original game. I have also done little to no research about Platinum before starting it, so I am running this pretty much blind.

So please enjoy this; my first Nuzlocke play-through on my first time playing Pokemon Platinum, my first Pokemon game since Pokemon Blue.

Let's kick this pig!

Rule #1: If a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead and placed in the Graveyard Box.
Rule #2: Catch only the first Pokemon encountered in each area.
Rule #3: Nicknames for everyone.

Addendum #1: Duplicate clause is in effect for full evolutionary line (if I can even tell if it is an evolved form). I get 3 tries before I have to throw in the towel.
Addendum #2: I can keep going until no Pokemon remain in my roster.

Music: Opening Selection

I am already getting giddy nostalgia goosebumps. This is gonna be good.

Okay, so Wilford Brimley here is offering to give me some pointers on how the game works. Seeing as how it has been so long since I played Pokemon, it would probably be a smart idea to take him on that offer so I can get a refresher course before diving into the game.

So of course I am not going to do that. There is going to be a vast dearth of smart decisions to come, so I would rather not set a precedent now.

With the tutorials properly snubbed, let's go ahead and see what kind of outfit I will be wearing here in Sinnoh.

Well....that's certainly an outfit. No one can deny that those are, in fact, clothes.

Doesn't really scream "Off On A Grand Adventure" though, does it? More like "Captain Of The Debate Team".

At least I have pants, though, so I am at least properly dressed for the obvious winter motif I will be encountering. I'm looking at you, female character counterpart. I am sure your thighs look amazing in that coat and knee sock ensemble, but c'mon. It's 20 below out. Put on some goddamn pants.

You know what? It's actually growing on me. I rescind my previous snark; it takes a strong and secure man to walk out into the world wearing a beret and ascot combo.

A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.

We're going to go with Jack. It's a nice manly name that should help offset the whole, y'know, ascot thing.

Oh, this must be my rival! Bring on the rivalry!

Okay, no no no. No, we're not doing this. Put him back and bring me another one.

Are we being serious with this guy? What is with the hair wings? Did he go to his stylist this morning and say "Give me the 'Owl's Nest' "? And that popped collar and the unnecessarily long scarf and the freaking satchel bag? He looks like the prototypical rich frat douche from every college movie ever. Everything about this guy's design bugs me; I don't even know this kid yet and I already hate him!

...Which I guess helps establish him as my rival. Huh. Well played, then.

Barry? Roy? GAVIN?

No way. These names are way too cool for this guy. He needs a name as pretentious and foppish as he is.

Theeeeeere we go.

*My apologies to everyone out there named Preston. I am sure you are awesome/lovely.

Yes to the Preston. Jury's still out on the friend part.

Okay, enough dicking around with the introduction. Let's get this party started already.

Continue to Episode 1

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this! Since this is my first Nuzlocke, I appreciate any advice or tips you can provide. As I want to keep this a blind run surprise, please avoid spoilers ("This gym uses fire types") if you can and offer up general advice ("You will want to level up your team before continuing").

Last edited:

Violenceman

The Night Time Nuzlocker
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Music: Twinleaf Town (Night)

300 channels and nothing on.

So out story starts off in what I am going to assume is my house. I am just sitting around watching TV, because if you don't have a Pokemon in this world, there really isn't much else to do. You can't even leave city limits without endangering your life, and if my home town is anything like Pallet Town, it's not exactly going to be bustling with activity.

I would also like to quickly note that I own a Nintendo Wii, but my TV is clearly an old school boxy CRT. Anachronistic technology for the win!

Music: Rival's Theme

Suddenly Preston bursts into my room without any warning or respect for my personal space. I am sure this won't be a recurring theme or anything, because that would be really fucking annoying.

The surprise here is totally unwarranted. He's acting like he has looked everywhere for me and is only now considering my house as a viable option.

Why yes, I am in my room! Fancy that!

Okay, he is officially too close to my face right now.

Well, since watching TV is like one of the two things to do around here, I'd say it is a safe bet.

Prof. Rowan is that really important guy who studies Pokemon, right? That means he must have lots and lots of Pokemon.

Quick deductive thinking there, Holmes. You felt the need to barge into my room to tell me this...why?

Uh...no? Why would he do that? Who just gives Pokemon away for free?

Because he will see that deep down, we both love Pokemon so much, and he will realize we deserve to have some!

...You respond to a lot of spam email, don't you?

All the time! Speaking of which, I need you to come fix my PC again. It got a virus somehow and OOOOH WHAT IS THAT?!

Hey! Don't touch that, you walking malware sponge!

What is this folder labeled "Taxes"?

Don't open it! It's...uh...full of t-tax returns.

...We're too young to file taxes.

They are...uh...practice forms. Never too early to start learning. Ha. Ha. Ha.

It's five gigabytes in size.

YES! FIVE GIGABYTES OF PRACTICE TAX FORMS! CAN WE PLEASE CHANGE THE SUBJECT NOW?

Again with the personal space.

So Preston has just decided he is going to march right up to a world-famous Pokemon professor, surely something of a celebrity in this region, and ask for some free shit. And he is going to drag me along for the ride. Sounds great; I can't wait to be justifiably tased by security.

But I might as well go along with it. My choices are pretty much "initiate the Pokemon adventure" or "stay home and tend to my tiny tree."

....Why do I have a tiny tree in my room?

Oh, good. So not only is Preston an obnoxious hipster, he's a rich obnoxious hipster. The asshole trifecta is now in play.

Well, with that out of the way, I can actually leave my room and head downstairs, where all my parent is waiting for me.

I don't want to know why I have a poster in my room that has instructions for opening my backpack.

Oh noooo. Why didn't you stop him. I am beside myself with grief and loneliness.

I don't know what it was about, but he sure was in a hurry!

As long as he is bugging someone else, I'm cool with it.

You shouldn't be so harsh on him, sweetie. He needs a friend like you.

No, what he really needs is to start taking Quaaludes so he can chill the hell out.

...You need him too, you know.

Yeah, like I need debilitating colon cancer.

...I think I should have read more parenting books while I was pregnant.

All right, Jello!

No, Jack! Uh...those aren't for you. I mean, now! Not for now. Those are for...uh...later.

Aw man. Hey, why did you make them in shot-glasses? Wouldn't a larger bowl have been more efficient?

I think I hear Preston calling! You should shut the fridge door and go see him. And forget you saw anything.

My Mom really needs a hobby.

I should hope so. If she did all her cooking in her bedroom, I would have some serious questions.

....Where is her bedroom anyway?

Parenting 101, people. Be sure to take notes; there will be a quiz later.

Upon leaving the house, we are greeted with an official title card for our sleepy little burgh: Twinleaf Town! As I originally suspected, we have a winter motif this time around. Which of course means that the first and most important piece of business to attend to is...

...Making footprints in the snow. I ran around in this patch of snow for several minutes. Time indisputably well spent.

Obviously, my next step is to track down my hyperactive companion. But first, I decided to explore around town to see if anyone had anything interesting to say. This is a JRPG after all, where not bursting into everyone's houses to strike up conversations and rummage through their belongings makes you the weirdo.

Right smack-dab in the middle of town is our welcome sign. Kind of an odd place to be welcoming people, but whatever. This town is about the size of you average hockey rink.

The sign shows the roads and what appears to be points of interest to me, namely mine and Prestons' houses. Also Fresh and Free is the slogan for a laundry detergent, not a town.

Dude, we live in a world where living critters can be transferred into data and stored in little spheres we hook to our belt or uploaded into our computers. I am glad you are psyched that they are finally bringing WiFi to our town, but you really need to check your enthusiasm a bit.

But, Pokemon also open their hearts to you, so you can become friends.

So the odds of forging a life-long friendship as opposed to getting horribly mauled is what? 50/50?

Give or take.

Do me a favor. Tell him I'm dead and he should move on.

I, uh, don't think he will buy that.

Well, not with that attitude, he won't. C'mon, put a little emotion into it.

I don't think a full enclosed flowerbed with no gate is really a good use of 1/16 of the town's total acreage.

But at least it got it better than this side. Damn, those isolated blizzards are no joke.

That appears to be the talk about town, yeah.

They say he was gone for four long years.

And it was supposed to be just a three hour tour, too.

I wonder if he found some amazing Pokemon while he was gone?

What do I look like? Pokemon Santa Claus? If you want a Pokemon, you have to put in the hard work just like the rest of us.

Pestering an old man until he gives you one out of frustration.

Jack check the chest. Wow! This is a nice chest!

You take that back! We are not tight! In fact, we are the opposite of tight! We're loose! We're as loose as can possibly be.

Wait, that didn't come out right.

I can also check out the various TVs around town. You know, since I obviously haven't got enough of watching the one I have.

Anyone else getting a creepy 1984-esque Orwellian vibe here?

Well, no use trying to drag out the inevitable. Let's see what Preston has been up to in the last ten minutes.

Preston throws open the door and runs right into me. Because of course he does.

This guy...

What was that about?!

YOU ran into ME, jackass!

Oh, hey, Jack!

And with that, he goes to leave, only to turn around and go back in the house, leaving me stunned like a tornado just hit me. But instead of killing me, it just annoyed me for a while. I follow him into his house for more useless banter.

I have already resigned myself to the fact that Preston is going to get both his kneecaps busted by an enraged bookie before this adventure is over.

I think I have an idea of who got me that poster.

That's it, huh? 155 GB hard drive and a state of the art processor and he just has a couple tips written down.

I gotta get this kid Minesweeper or something.

Continue to Episode 2

Next Time: A world famous Pokemon expert scolds us for being a dumbass.

Last edited:

Time Master Eon

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon switches rapidly between passion and apathy
It's good to see this getting ported over, Your as-you-find-stuff-out telling of the story that has somehow actually foreshadowed some stuff well ahead of time. (Albeit with the help of actual, intentional foreshadowing) if fact, I'll probably re-read this just to see if there's anything I can talk about that I didn't see before.

Time Master Eon

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
for example: I actually really like the male character's design. It might be better if it had a more muted color scheme, but I personally like it.

LucarioOfLegends

Saint of the Church of The Holy Pluffle
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 17, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him whatever the male ones are idk
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Steel
Pokédex Entry
He fought 32 men in an Irish bar once; he is also an incredible liar.
Oh glory its back.

Always loved this run and glad to see it survived the transition. And the best part of it is we get more of our Brometheus Machop. Looking forward to the changes :)

Violenceman

The Night Time Nuzlocker
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Thanks, everyone! Good to be back!

With everything in town squared away, I head out onto Route 201 so I can go pester some cantankerous old guy into giving me free shit. I can already see Preston just waiting for me there. I will just take a deep breath, go into a zen state of calm, and pray that we can can go five minutes without him saying something gratingly obnoxious.

I SWEAR TO GOD PRESTON THEY WILL NEVER FIND THE BODY

Okay, calm, calm. Make some glib observations about the world.

I can see that not ten feet from the town entrance is the dangerous grass my mother warned me about and there is no way around it. It's just death right outside my house. You would think someone with Pokemon to defend themselves would pave a walkway or something so Twinleaf residents can go grocery shopping without having to worry about being immolated or having their dreams eaten or whatever. Infrastructure, people; c'mon!

Yes, please. The sooner this is over, the better.

I will elect not to ask how Preston found out where the professor works. The TV show didn't mention where the lab was, as far as I know. I will just assume Preston is the creepy stalker-type.

What now, genius?

What? Don't go in the grass, right? No worries! No problems! It doesn't matter that we don't have Pokemon.

Trust me on this one. I have an idea!

...Hearing those words come out of your mouth makes all the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

C'mon, when have I ever given you reason not to trust me?

Would you like my answers listed alphabetically or chronologically?

So what you do is, you scoot over to the next patch of grass before any wild Pokemon can appear! If we just keep dashing, we can get to Sandgem Town without running into Wild Pokemon.

...That is the dumbest idea I have ever heard in my life, Preston. Some poisonous abomination is going to bite you right in the-

Forget all that. Sounds like a great idea, Preston! I think you should go for it!

You know what? I think I will let you go first so I can watch and laugh-learn from you.

Yesssssss

On your marks...

Aw, come ON!

And so Professor Rowan pimps on to the screen to lay a verbal smackdown on our dumb asses.

Nooooo...

Then, what is the meaning of going into the tall grass?!

...has Diabeetus?

Ummm, I was actually going to say that it's Professor Rowan, isn't it? What's he doing here?

Why is he talking to himself?

I have no idea, man.

I mean, does he think we can't hear him?

*Shrugs*

Professor? Hey, Professor! Yoo hoo!

It worries me what people like that would do with Pokemon.

Well screw you too, buddy.

Well, then, forget about me, but give a Pokemon to my friend here! I mean, it was me that tried to go into the tall grass and all...

Nice try, Preston, but you aren't winning any brownie points with me.

How big of you...

Very well, then! I will entrust you two with Pokemon!

What? Really? Just like that?

Yes, I can see that deep down, you both love Pokemon so much, and that you deserve to have some!

You have GOT to be shitting me.

However! You must promise me that you will never recklessly endanger yourselves again!

Well, I don't think I will be getting rid of Preston any time soon, so no dice on being able to promise that, prof.

Oh hush, Jack. We promise!

Now then...hmmm? Now where?

It looks like Mr. World-Renowned Pokemon Expert misplaced his Pokemon! And right before he lectured us on being responsible Pokemon owners. Suck an egg, gramps.

Thankfully, his beautiful assistant Dawn (who is apparently Knee Socks from the introduction segment) shows up to set him straight.

You left your briefcase at the lake! Oh? Is something wrong here?

Hellooooo sexy lady.

Hey there. My name is Jack.

...Are you wearing an ascot?

Gooooodbye sexy lady.

Ah, there it is! Nice work, Dawn! What I was about to do was to entrust these two with their own Pokemon.

Pardon?!

Dawn immediately attempts to Poke-block me. Thanks for that. Thankfully, Rowan shuts her down and reiterates his intentions to give us Pokemon of our own. He implores Preston and I to open up the briefcase and pick a Pokeball.

Also, will you look at the size of the briefcase? It's almost as tall as she is! What else does the professor keep in there, his other assistants?

Still not going to be besties with you, man. Just give it up.

You keep your Pokeballs loose in your briefcase like that? Where they just bounce around freely and bump into things? This is not giving me much confidence in this guy as a Pokemon expert. Does he not have a belt? You would think with how ubiquitous Pokemon are that all belts would come with Pokeball clips.

Well, whatever. Let's take a look at our options, shall we?

So a burning chimpanzee, an adorable penguin, and a tiny turtle. I think they are all pretty cool, actually. But I have always been a fan of reptiles and grass-types, soooo...Turtwig it is!

Preston, of course, chooses the fire-type just to screw me over. His generosity in letting me go first seems a lot less altruistic in retrospect.

Very well! Both of you have chosen a good Pokemon, it seems. Now listen well! The Pokemon you have been entrusted with are unfamiliar with the world.

In that regard, they are much like you. As fellow newcomers to the world, I hope you will do well together.

Okay, I get it. We're a couple of backwoods yokels. You don't need to rub it in.

If you have any trouble, come see me at my lab in Sandgem Town. And now, we will be on our way.

And Professor Rowan straight-up leaves Dawn behind to carry the giant-ass briefcase all by herself. What a douche.

Would you like a hand with that?

I can handle it fine myself, thank you.

...Okay. Well, maybe we should exchange numbers or something. You know, in case I need to talk to the profes-

...Damn. Cold as ICE.

Well, that was quite the day. I think I will head home and...

What in God's name are you talking about? Up for what?

Something I have wanted to do with you for a long time, Jack.

UHHH

I have dreamed about this moment for so long...

UHHHHHHHHH

Preston! Wait! No! I don't like you like that. Hell, I don't like you like ANY way. For the love of all things holy, don't say-

Oh, thank CHRIST.

P-Professor?

Um...No, little guy. My name's Jack. The Professor gave you to me as my first Pokemon.

You're...my new master?

I...guess so.

Most excellent!

Yeah? You're cool with that?

Totally, dude!

Want to help me kick the snot out of that annoying twit over there and his flaming monkey?

Leave it to me, brah! Cowabunga!

And so my first Pokemon battle finally happens. Time to finally give Preston the beatdown he has been so eagerly asking for.

Riveting.

Preston seems to be under the impression that if his Chimchar gives Turtwig the stink-eye long enough, he will eventually succumb to the pressure and kill himself, so he has Chimchar use Leer ten times in a row.

And Dunston checks OUT.

Turtwig and I claim our first victory and things couldn't be better. Turtwig gains a level, I take 500 bucks from Preston and tell him to get bent, Mom gets me a new pair of kicks, and I can at long last leave this rinky-dink town and go exploring with my new best turtle buddy.

And to top it all off, I finally get to ditch Preston and not have to deal with his irritating ass anymore.

Oh, Goddammit.

Continue on to Episode 3.

Next Time: We immediately get in over our heads.

Last edited:

Time Master Eon

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
I will elect not to ask how Preston found out where the professor works. The TV show didn't mention where the lab was, as far as I know. I will just assume Preston is the creepy stalker-type.
I mean, I don't think he's too impatient to do a quick Google search on the most renowned Pokemon researcher in the the country.

Violenceman

The Night Time Nuzlocker
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Time Master Eon: While that is entirely possible, I think the contents of Preston's computer can attest to the possibility of him knowing how to do a basic internet search.

Music: Rote 201 (Night)

Well, that's what I get for daring to wish upon a star. Looks like I am stuck with Preston a little longer. Although I have to admit, getting to beat his ass with Turtwig has helped somewhat. I think I can tolerate him a little more now.

Nope. Nevermind. I was wrong. He is just as insufferable as ever.

You were waiting for me? You shouldn't have.

...Like, really.

And leave you all alone? Of course not, Jack! We're BFFs remember? Here, take this.

Oh God, you made friendship bracelets.

If this ends with us getting matching tattoos, I am killing you and then myself.

...What? No, of course not. That would be weird, right? Psssh.

*Hastily scratches an entry off a to-do list*

Anyway...I'm going to go see Professor Rowan so I can thank him properly.

Is this going to be like your last idea? The one that involved attempting to hopscotch away from dangerous Pokemon?

No, even better!

...Yeaaaaaah...

You know how they say a legendary Pokemon lives there?

...Yeaaa-wait, what? No. You can't be serious.

That will make Professor Rowan happy! I am sure of that!

Okay, that's stupid in three different ways.

One: The professor literally just got finished telling us not to take any more unnecessary risks.

Two: We have no Pokeballs. What are we going to catch it with? Our bare hands?

Three: It's a legendary Pokemon! They don't get that title by lazing about in some lake playing water polo; they get it by bending reality to their will.

It will be fine! I'm sure Chimchar is up to the task.

Really? Will he try Leering it into submission?

And with that, Preston joins the party. Truly, never before has a team-up presented such an unequivocal force to be reckoned with. I guess I have no choice; it's time to go indulge Preston on his ridiculous side-quest to wrangle himself a Legendary with just his gumption and can-do attitude.

Okay, a new area! Good to know.

What does Verity mean, you may ask? Why, it simply means "the state or quality of being true; accordance with fact or reality". So basically "Lake Truth". Ooookay.

Signpost said:
"According to legend, this lake is home to the Pokemon said to be 'the Being of Emotion'. It is because of this Pokemon that people can experience sorrow and joy."
Wow, that's pretty heavy stuff. If I recall correctly, the legendary Pokemon of Kanto just kind of hung around in caves and whatnot doing their own thing. It was, y'know, The Fire Bird, not The Fire Bird Who Ignites Passion In The Souls Of Man. I especially like that this great legend, without whom we as people would feel naught but the cold icy hand of inevitable death, is just chilling in my backyard.

And we are going to try and capture him in the same way one might snag a firefly during the twilight hours of summer. I am sure this will go well.

Music: Lake

As soon as we enter Verity Lake proper, we stumble across an awkward moment.

Yes, I too like to stare ominously out across a body of water while cryptically monologuing to myself in public. It's a great way to let people know you are definitely not evil or crazy.

I will make it all mine one day...Cyrus is my name. Remember it...

Jack? Why is that crazy man rambling to himself?

I want to know why we keep getting into situations where people talk to themselves without realizing we can hear them.

Until then, sleep while you can, legendary Pokemon of the lake bed...

Oh, crap! He's coming this way! Play it cool! PLAY IT COOL!

Uh....hey. Umm...'Sup?

:facepalm:

That's coo', that's coo'. Keep it real.

Don't look at me. I barely know him.

And really rude too!

Oh, I know! Why don't you go fine him
10 million for being inconsiderate. I'm sure that would show him!

Uhhhhh...I'm good, thanks.

Okay, Jack! Let's catch that Legendary Pokemon.

What the hell was that?

That was the legendary Pokemon crying! That had to be it!

Jeez, it sounded like someone laughing while wailing in anguish at the same time!

Okay! This our chance! Let's catch it!

We don't have anything on us! You know, Pokeballs!

NO! How could it be so?! Who could have possibly seen this coming?!

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

I know how to spell, jackass. And don't point out the accent thing. We're not really doing that.

If we don't have those, we can't catch Pokemon or take them around with us!

Why not? We've been sponging off him successfully this far. Might as well keep it up.

I see Preston is starting to show off his Gary Oak side. I bet he's going to try and fine me
10 million for coming in second when I get there, the tool.

I guess we are just going to ignore the whole crazy blue haired person vaguely threatening a legendary Pokemon from the shoreline. I guess he seems pretty trustworthy. Really on the up-and-up. No need to to bring it up with the Professor or local authorities or anything.

Well, at least we are finally off that little plot railroad detour and able to control our own destiny again. However, there is not a whole lot to do now except head to Sandgem and try to mooch off of our shared sugar daddy Rowan some more. Let's go hit up Route 201 and see what it has in store for us.

Music: Rote 201 (Night)

Like riiiiiiiiiiight...NOW!

Huh? GAAAH!

Our first wild Pokemon Battle! And it is against...this thing. Is it a poofy beaver-chipmunk hybrid? Did someone stick a woodchuck in dryer and set it to permanent press? And isn't Bidoof the sound one makes when getting hit in the stomach with a dodgeball?

Well, either way it's going down.

Okay, Turtwig! Knock those goofy front teeth out!

Way ahead of you, dude!

And without too much fuss, it goes down pretty quickly. So far, so good.

Sadly the super helpful bush-dweller decided to move up as I do, then move down as I do, blocking my path twice.

Yes! I heard you the first time! Move it or I am going to get into another-

Welp, okay. Thanks for that. Here we go again.

This time, we are fighting a Starly. This little guy is adorable. I hope I will be able to get one for my team when I come back here.

Turtwig does his job and gains a level for it, going up to seven. But I am already feeling the dread and unease that must constantly accompany a Nuzlocke run. I'm not even out of the first patch of Tall Grass, and Turtwig is already at half-health and in the yellow. And with no Potions on hand either. I decide to not risk it and hurry back home to Twinleaf like a wuss to heal up. So much for busting out on my own like a bad ass. Two fights and I am right back where I started. :facepalm:

The next run through goes a lot smoother though! With the first NPC jerk actually getting out of my way, I am able to pass through with just one Bidoof battle. The extra level must have done wonders for my tiny turtle buddy, as he cleaned house without so much as taking a hit. In fact, I am able to make it all the way through Route 201 without dropping back down into the yellow. Turtwig and I are working like a well oiled machine.

This girl gives me a free Potion, which lets me breathe a little easier. Why a Pokemart employee is hanging out in Tall Grass waiting to be jumped is beyond me, but I am not going to look a gift Ponyta in the mouth. Don't know why we have to conduct it like a drug deal, though.

A battle with a Starly shortly after gets Turtwig up to Level 8. I practically own these streets now.

So I should just...jump off that cliff, then? That's your idea of a good travel option?

What's a matter kid? Never taken a shortcut before?

I do the pop culture jokes around here, buddy. Quit biting my shtick.

Continue on to Episode 4

Next Time: Professor Rowan talks our ear off for a loooooong time.

Last edited:

Time Master Eon

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
While that is entirely possible, I think the contents of Preston's computer can attest to the possibility of him knowing how to do a basic internet search.
Fair enough, though there are a couple of others ways he might know. For example, it's possible that the opening of the game didn't show the entire tv special or that it's common knowledge that the protagonist would also know if they weren't a silent player-insert.

Violenceman

The Night Time Nuzlocker
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pokédex Entry
The rebirth train keeps rolling on. Part of the reason for doing this remix is because I am still in the middle of my involuntary relocation and it might be a couple more months before I am fully situated in a new place and able to really devote time to brand new content. So this should hopefully fill that gap until we can start up again proper.

Music: Sandgem Town (Night)

And so we arrive at Sandgem Town, ready to meet with Professor Rowan. I am not immediately accosted with insults about my speed, so maybe I actually beat Preston here. Route 201 gave me several successful battles with Turtwig, which has boosted my confidence in myself as well as in my tiny companion and I feel ready to take on the world. Get ready, Sinnoh, because here comes...

...Oh shit, is that Dawn? Awkward...maybe I could back out slowly before she notices-

ABORT ABORT EVASIVE MANEUVERS FAILED

Oh, crap! She's coming this way! Play it cool! PLAY IT COOL!

...Jack? Is that you?

Uh....hey. Umm...'Sup?

Gah, no. I mean, hey Dawn. Look, about yesterday...I'm sorry if I was coming on a little too strong...

...ooooor not strong enough?

The professor is waiting!

Oh, right. The professor. That makes more sense. Okay, lead the way.

Well, thanks for the guided tour, Dawn! I'm glad you were there to take me exactly five steps over to the right. Who knows what might have happened if you weren't there? Why, I could have gotten lost for minutes.

Well, whatever. Let's go see Rowan then. You better escort me to the front door, Knee Socks. I might get off-course and run into a window.

Oh for the love of...this again? Really? Is this going to be another running gang with this guy? Because let me tell you; the "I'm going to fine you 10,000 dollars" bit didn't exactly endear me to this douche nozzle. You're not going to win me over with a door slamming pratfall.

So much for Preston still being on Route 201 somewhere. Not only did he get here first, he has apparently already seen Rowan and was waiting by the door so he could pounce on me like we are Calvin and fuckin' Hobbes.

That old guy...he's not scary so much as he is totally out there!

Are you sure you're not scared of him? Your hair is all standing on end.

Oh, wait. That's just your normal hairdo. My bad.

Ouch...that's a little harsh, don't you think?

Don't worry! Jack's just ribbing me because we are such good friends. Right, buddy?

NO.

Aww, it doesn't matter, Jack. I'm out of here. See you later!

The human equivalent of a Ratatta on a double espresso trying to tail whip itself.

Your friend sure seems to be really impatient.

Not the word I would use, but sure.

Well, anyway...let's go inside.

Dawn leads me into the lab so we can talk with Professor Rowan. Looks a little sparse for a lab, but I guess a little burg like Sandgem can't get a lot of federal funding. At least they have a room full of miscellaneous boxes and a bitchin' coffee table.

Jack, was it?

You forgot already? We just met yesterday.

Bah; details, details. Let's have a look at your Pokemon.

Aloha, Professor!

How are things going with young Jack, Turtwig?

Totally gnarly! Dude is a mondo trainer, for sure.

I didn't understand a word of that.

He's hot-dogging it, brah. Things have been gnarlatious.

...so it's going...good then?

Cha!

Well! Entrusting you with that Turtwig was no mistake, it seems!

You're goddamn right I would.

What do you think about Elmsly, little buddy?

Righteous name, dude.

Ah, I see. And you are happy with that nickname? It's not too late to choose another one, after all.

Damn, are you spittin' shade, Prof?

Of course not. We can't all be talented at naming things, after all.

When I first saw you two about to step into the tall grass without Pokemon, I was shocked. I was astounded by these foolhardy children.

Okay, NOW there is definitely some shade. I'm feeling a little attacked over here.

Um, yes. Maybe get back on topic, Professor?

But now you have astounded me in an entirely different way! Already there is a bond growing between you and that Pokemon.

Oh yeah. Me and Elmsly are tight.

I feel privileged to have met you. Your rather....hyperactive compatriot, not so much. I'm sure Turtwig feels the same way.

Totally.

That's why I'll ask you to cherish that Turtwig of yours.

Should I be scared or turned on? Cause I'm a little of both right now.

Rowan interrupts whatever the hell is going on here to ask me to help catalogue all the different kinds of Pokemon around Sinnoh with the help of a Pokedex. His speech is a little long winded and kind of boring, so I will just skip it for now and get to the good part of getting the cool swag. Ha ha, not this time around! Welcome to the remix edition, where no conversation is skipped, regardless of how inane and rambling it might be!

There is something I want you to do for me.

Why, Mister Rowan! I do declare! What might the townsfolk say?

What? No, nevermind. Allow me to properly introduce myself first. My name, as you know, is Rowan. I study Pokemon.

First of all, I want to know exactly what kinds of Pokemon live in the Sinnoh region.

As opposed to the ones on vacation?

To do so, it is necessary to collect data using the Pokedex.

The Whosa-whata-dex?

Pocket Encyclopedia. He will get to it eventually.

That is what I wish to ask of you. I want to entrust you with this Pokedex.

I can say no, but it doesn't let me get away with it. Nobody says no to Big Daddy Rowan. Besides, who turns down free gizmos and gadgets?

Good answer! That Pokedex is a very high-tech device. It is certainly not a hand-me-down from last years model. It will automatically record data on every Pokemon you encounter.

Nice. How many gigs of storage does the hard drive have?

Errr...well...

Can I boost the wi-fi signal for when I am out in the woods?

Uhhh...that is...ummm...

I have an acquaintance who is a goddamn virus magnet. Does it have good malware protection? What bit encryption does it use?

Jack! I ask that you go everywhere and meet every kind of Pokemon in this region!

Let me see if I can access the boot command menu and-wait, what? You want me to go explore ALL of Sinnoh, cataloguing Pokemon as I go? That's awesome!

I've got one too! We can be 'dex pals!

I have lived 60 long years. And possibly another 10 where I was blitzed out of my mind. Even now, I get a thrill when I am with a Pokemon.

Kinky.

Now you should know there are countless Pokemon in this world. That means there are just as many thrills waiting for you out there!

Wait, I thought my grand adventure started back in the Introductions chapter. I'm pretty sure it was Rowan who told me that too.

How many times is this grand adventure going to start anyway?

If you would have chosen a Piplup on Route 201, we'd have the same Pokemon now!

Yeah, something tells me if I chose Piplup you would have a Chimchar right now. Just a hunch.

Well, not that it matters...

I also help the professor add pages to the Pokedex.

Yeah? How's the pay?

Meeting new Pokemon and befriending them is its own reward!

And the only reward. We are unpaid.

Naturally.

So, in a sense, I am just like you. I just got a little head start on you, that's all.

Well, I look forward to working with you then, Dawn.

Same! The three of us will surely be enough to complete the Professor's...

Wait, three? Oh, don't tell me...

Your friend Preston got a Pokedex as well. He will also be assisting us in this project.

Fan-fucking-tastic. Did Rowan give him that same speech too?

Pretty much word-for-word, yes. I think he has it written down on index cards somewhere.

Same. I'd be happy to teach you a few things too, Dawn.

....about Pokemon, right?

Continue on to Episode 5

Next Time: We get a personal tour of Sandgem's nighttime hot spots. All two of them.

Last edited:

Alba Corbina

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Oh, it'll be fun to read this from the beginning again. Rowan's complete inability to understand Elmsly is great.

anonymouse

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
any; they/them
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon spends far too much time in front of a laptop, someone unglue them.
ahhh, i never get tired of reading everyone's snark about Platinum. gen 4 felt like Game Freak suddenly hopping on the "oh, people want games with plot now? and NPCs with personality?" train. and they had mixed success that no amount of rose-tinted-ness can blind me to.

Violenceman

The Night Time Nuzlocker
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Alba Corbina: Glad to have you back! Hopefully in a couple months we will be back up to speed and cranking out new updates again!

anonymouse: I am really enjoying it so far! It is equal parts corny and endearing that makes it so much fun to riff on.

Music: Sandgem Town (Night)

Well, now that he has a nickname, Elmsly is officially a member of Team Jack! Let's take a moment to check out his bio info. Looks like he has a quiet nature, which seems to match his mellow surfer brogue. He's also apparently a fussy eater and only likes dry food. I have no idea if this is just a little flavor text and just for fun, or if I will actually have to be concerned about feeding my Pokemon properly. I hope it is the former, because if have a graveyard of dead Tamagotchi that says this won't end well otherwise.

Two things of note here.

One: under item, it says "None". Elmsly can apparently hold an item for me? I'm not sure what good that does since I can presumably access items from the battle menu and use any of the items I have on me. I will have to experiment with this later...either this is going to be a cool little add-on feature, or item use has changed drastically over the years.

Two: Elmsly has an ability, which I am guessing are special in-battle qualities unique to each Pokemon. If I am right, that's pretty sweet. Elmsly has the ability "Overgrow", which sounds like it powers up his grass type attacks when he is low on health. Should be a useful skill to have. Once I actually have grass moves of course. Right now it means precisely dick.

As I go to leave the lab and get this Grand Adventure started for the second time, I check in with the other scientists here. This proves to be a horrible decision, as apparently, one of them is Dawn's father. In accordance to the rules of fatherhood, with me being a teenage boy around the vicinity of his teenage daughter, he has now memorized my face and my scent. I am sure he could track me down from six routes over now.

As I try to leave and meet up with Dawn, Rowan stops me with what I am sure is vital news.

What? What is it professor?

I have something good here. You should take it as well.

...A Werther's Original?

Not that, that!

Oh...a CD.

Hey, I am totally down for listening to your mixtape, but have you heard of these things called mp3s?

No I haven't, but that's neither here nor there. That's not a music CD, Jack. That's a Technical Machine.

That one contains the move Return. Using a Technical Machine, or TM for short, teaches a move instantly to a Pokemon.

Bitchin'!

Bear in mind, however, that a TM is single use only. The move Return gains more power the more friendly your Pokemon is with you.

So...do I like...install it or something? Do Turtwigs come with CD drives?

I see I have my work cut out for me.

I will send you off with the wish that your journey will be fun.

And you won't, y'know, have to watch all your beloved friends die in a brutal slaughter. Ahem. Okay, have fun!

Really? It must be hard to keep all his inventions properly branded then. BAH-DUM-PSSSSH.

Thanks everyone, I will be here all week.

Okay, well now seems like a good time to go over something about this run. I said I had not done any prior research on Platinum, which is true, and that I was going to be doing this run blind and not looking anything up ahead of time, which is also true. I wanted to go into this with fresh eyes and see the world as our protagonist will. However, I also don't want to lose this run for really stupid reasons. Therefore, I am allowing myself two exceptions to this rule where I can reference outside material freely.

The first is a type chart. I know the basics (Fire beats Grass, Flying beats Bug, Electric has no effect on Ground, etc), but I don't have it all memorized (I don't know anything about the weaknesses of Dragon types). And that's not even counting any new types that have been added. I'm not going to let my team get one-shotted due to my ignorance of certain type match-ups, so the chart stays on hand.

The second is Move data. This one will be a little more situational, but if I get a TM or one of my team learns a new move and I need to make a decision about implementing or discarding it, I am allowing myself to look it up to gleam more info and see if it is worth adding or replacing. I will probably only use this sparingly and I won't look up any move I don't have or haven't learned yet. I just want to make sure I don't blindly build a horrible move load-out for my 'mon due to not knowing the new moves.

Cool? Okay, cool. Let's get back to the cutting-edge comedy.

Okay, a little role-playing. Nice. Then I can be the mentor, and you can be the naughty Jr. Trainer.

What the hell are you talking about?

Thaaaat was supposed to be the inner monologue.

Uh, forget all that just now. I was hit by a Confuse Ray when I was younger. Things get all garbled sometimes.

Oh, I see. I understand...the same thing happened to my Uncle Louie. He used to think he was the king of Johto.

Whew. Note to self: stop saying shit the minute it pops in your head.

Anyway, I've got a bit more experience than you as a Trainer and the professor's assistant. Now follow me! I will give you a guided tour of Sandgem's facilities.

It's the place that heals Pokemon that have been hurt in battle.

A little small for a hospital, isn't it? With all the Pokemon fights going on, you think they would need more rooms.

Oh, no need for that! There is a device that you simply place the Pokeballs on and it heals them instantly.

What, really? How does that work?

Well it uses...um...I mean Pokeballs translate Pokemon to data, right? So the device has this...uh....code that rewrites their essence matrices....and uh....

It's science?

Yes, it's science. Thank you. Anyway, it will heal any and all wounds, so long as you don't let your Pokemon die, of course.

Yeah, like I will ever let that happen. Pssssh.

It's a shop where you can buy and sell items and medicine.

If the Pokecenter has a techno-magic healing table that heals all wounds, what's the point of buying medicine? Does the center charge out the ass for using their facility?

Actually it's completely free of charge to use.

Do I need to have insurance or something then? Cause my Mom's HMO doesn't cover preexisting status conditions.

Nope! Free to the public!

Then why the Hell would I spend money buying medicine and healing items?

Good luck finding a Pokemon Center in the middle of the woods.

Right. Good point. I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to load up on supplies if I am going to be walking across the whole country, huh?

Jack, since you are a novice trainer you won't be able to buy many kinds of merchandise. Don't let it bother you.

The town I spent my whole life in didn't even have a grocery store. They could sell me nothing but empty paper bags and I will consider it an improvement.

Yeeeeeeah?

Don't you need to let your family know that you're going to be helping Professor Rowan with the Pokedex?

You may need to go far away, so I think you should let someone know.

Oh. Okay, yeah. That makes sense.

Oh, but before you go, heal up your Pokemon at the Pokemon Center. It will be a lot less scary that way.

Thanks for the heads-up, mentor.

Also, I am sorry for acting so cold when we first met.

...Huh?

I have met so many abusive trainers who don't respect their Pokemon or care if they get hurt that I put up walls when meeting people.

Now that I know you are a good guy who loves his Pokemon, I think you and I can be good friends.

...I'd like that.

Ok, bye!

You know, I hate to see her go, but I love to watch her leave.

Am I getting too creepy? I feel like I getting a little creepy.

You're getting a little bit grody, dude.

Alright, I will tone it down. I am kinda new at this whole "talking to girls" thing.

She's not just a pair of nice legs, brah. She's a smart, capable lady and you gotta show her respect as such.

Hmm. Yeah, you're right. Thanks for being straight with me, buddy. I'd fist-bump with you, but...y'know...you don't have any fists.

No worries. We Turtwigs headbutt instead.

Uh...okay, sure.

BONK

GAH! Dammit! Your head is like a rock! Jeeeez...that was dumb dumb dumb...

Heh. Gnarly.

I decided to hit up the Pokemon Center first so Elmsly can get healed up and I can get my concussion looked at. These digs are definitely swankier than the ones back in Kanto. Matching pairs of blue and yellow futons, a computer for your digital Pokemon storage, a map on Sinnoh on the wall, books to read while you wait, even some nice shrubberies. I can see the healing table behind the counter, but what's the white machine to the right hand side? If the table is a one-stop panacea for all your Pokemon woes, what does that machine even do? There's even a little red light on top? Seriously, what is that thing?

They really should find a way to invent a portable version of those healing tables.

Thank you. We have restored your Pokemon to full health. We hope to see you again!

...You hope my Pokemon get horribly hurt? That's kinda messed up.

Next stop, the Pokeshop! Time to buy some supplies with the what's left of my allowance and the money I extorted out of Preston.

This shop is really blue, isn't it? The Pokemon Center had a lot of warm colors like red and yellow; the Mart has got a lot of blues, greens and whites to make it feel a lot colder. Seriosuly, I feel like I am in a Mario ice world.

Normally I would make fun of such an obvious statement, but knowing my luck, karma would bite me in the ass and I would run out of Potions when I need them most.

My first purchase is five Pokeballs, so I can hopefully get a teammate on my way back home. Hopefully five will be enough until I can score some more cash. Next, I picked up three potions so I don't need to worry so much about getting caught mid-route with low health. Adding to the one I got on Route 201, that will give me four. Finally, I bought five antidotes because I will be goddamned before I let any of my team die to a lingering post-battle poison effect. I ain't playing that game.

I am ready to head back home, but let's dick around Sandgem for a little longer. Why is it called Sandgem anyway?

Well, that explains it! I don't know why making footprints is so entertaining to me, but I could run in circles here forever and not lose interest.

Hey, it's Dawn's house. I guess she lives in Sandgem too.

It wouldn't be weird for me to visit her home when I clearly watched her leave town and know for a fact she isn't there, would it?

I am the one who knocks.

W-what?

I'm just messing with you, kid. My name's Jack. I'm a friend of your sister.

Oh, you're Jack! You're doing that Pokedex thingy for the professor!

Yeah? Did Dawn...mention me?

Sure did! That's why I recognized the silly looking ascot!

...Oh.

Sorry, but Dawn's not here right now.

Yeah, I kno- I mean, what? Darn, must have just missed her!

You could go up into her room and wait for her if you want.

Wait, what?

It's not like you're going to do anything weird, right?

NO.

So what's the prob-

WELP. I think I hear my mom calling. Gotta go bye!

Okay enough messing around. Let's blow this Popsicle stand.

...And immediately head back to a smaller, less impressive Popsicle stand.

Sigh.

Continue on to Episode 6

Next Time: We tell our Mom that we are movin' out like Billy Joel.

Last edited:

Time Master Eon

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
...either this is going to be a cool little add-on feature, or item use has changed drastically over the years.
Both, kinda. It was originally added to make use of some redundant data in the first games and had the side effect of being one of the biggest increases in depth for competitive battling in the series, I think. I don't play Gold and Silver competitively.

anonymouse

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
any; they/them
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon spends far too much time in front of a laptop, someone unglue them.
Jack certainly has a lot of interesting discoveries to make about this world. Game Freak has added a lot of nuance to the games over the years, though admittedly some bits aren't as relevant when you're nuzlocking. can't wait until Jack encounters some of the more oddball evolution methods gen 4 is addicted to

Violenceman

The Night Time Nuzlocker
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 2, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Time Master Eon: That's interesting!I think it's a neat addition, even though I keep forgetting to actually make use of it.

anonymouse: Oh, don't worry, You will see as we go on, but this run gets almost obnoxiously obsessed with digging into every minute detail, no matter how irrelevant it might be.

Okay, Sandgem. It's been real, but I have got a date with destiny to attend to. Also, I need to head home and let my mom know I will be late for dinner.

Here we go. Time to catch my first wild Pokemon. Based on my first time through Route 201, it looks like it will be either a Bidoof or a Starly. Considering the first route in Kanto just had Rattattas and Pidgeys, I am guessing that the whole "normal-type rodent and flying-type bird" thing is a common theme for the intro routes in these games.

C'mon Starly. Starly, Starly, Starly, Starly, Starly

Naturally.

Ah well, a Bidoof is better than nothing, I guess. Let's see if Elmsly can wound this critter without outright curb-stomping it.

Also, let me just note how weird it is to have a Grass starter that comes with a Water type move.

Okay, Elmsly. Think you can just pull your punches here? I want to capture this one.

...Are you...uh...sure about that, dude?

Beggars can't be choosers, Elmsly. Now, you know what to do, right?

No worries, brah. Just hang ten there for a moment. I gotcha back.

Good job, buddy! Now it's my turn. You're mine, you over-stuffed hamster!

Boo-yah!

So wait, this thing was just a tubby mouse the whole time? I would have put money on woodchuck. It's a good thing I don't gamble. And I am sure I never will gamble any time in the near future either.

Anyways, all that's left to do is give her a name.

That's right. Shia Bidoof. I don't even care that she's a girl. The deed is done, there is no taking it back.

Of course, afterward, I remember that "LaBeouf" is pronounced "la-buff", not "la-boof", so the rhyme (and therefore the joke) doesn't really work. Goddammit. Oh well, Shia can be a girl's name too. Whatever. No regrets. Valhalla.

"Proud of it's power"? That's the saddest thing I have heard all week.

So Shia's "ability" is that her stats may randomly fluctuate during battle. Fantastic. I bet
10 million that this will work against me more often than it will work for me.

Well, let's meet the new addition.

Goodness, me! Where am I?

Hey there, Shia. My name's Jack. I caught you in a Pokeball, remember?

Well, bless my stars! Ain't you just the cutest little trainer!

...So, when y'all doing lunch?

Okay, back into the ball with you.

Well, that was absolutely thrilling. Might as well go home and get this whole goodbye thing over with. You know how it is with moms. Tell them you met an old man and are now going to wander the countryside getting into fights and suddenly it is all tears and hugs like you aren't going to see them again in like seven months.

All right. So here's the thing. You know how you always say I should get out and see the world some day?

Yes, dear?

What do you think about...say...now-ish?

Okay, dear, go for it! Your mom's got your back!

Wow, really? I expected you to put up more of a fight about me leaving. I guess you really do want to support me!

Or you want to, y'know, get me out of the house for a few months.

Hmm? Oh, sorry dear, I was too busy trying to figure out if a hot tub would fit where your bed currently is.

Oh, I know! Jack, I have something you might find useful.

That's a journal. It keeps a record of your daily events. Check it, and you'll be able to remember what you did last.

I...uh...I know what a journal is, Mom.

Well, it's been so long since you had a diary, I just thought...

WHAT DIARY? I NEVER HAD A DIARY!

Don't be ridiculous! You had that notebook you put your feelings in when you had a "big emotions" day and...

LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU WITH MY FINGERS JAMMED IN MY EARS!

Where is that old thing anyway?

Not buried nearly deep enough, that's where.

Plus you're not alone. You have your Pokemon with you. I wish I could go instead!

Instead of my Pokemon? You want me to make you fight fat mice and flaming monkeys?

No, silly! I wish I could go on a Pokemon adventure! I always dreamed about it! Instead of becoming Suzy Housewife just because I got knocked up after one weekend-long hook-up in Johto...

I'm just joking, dear! Yup, Jack!

...Oooookay. I'm just going to pretend I didn't hear that.

When you are exposed to new things and experience new sensations...It makes your mother happy too.

I see the whole "busting through doors uninvited" thing runs in Preston's family.

Oh? No, he's not.

Oh...Then, he must have left already...What to do...That boy shouted about going on an adventure, then he bolted.

He left without saying goodbye to his mother? How rude! Who even does that?

*Nervous cough*

Not to worry. Jack will deliver that to him.

Wait, what? No! Do I look like a mailman?

Won't you, Jack?

Pretty sure I would rather teabag a Arcanine.

Won't you, Jack?

Whoa, scary mom voice. Uh...Yeah, sure.

Really? You'd do that for me?

Oh, yeah. I love delivering boxes. It's always been my dream.

Bye-bye, Jack! Enjoy your adventure!

Yes, my adventure in fetch quests. I am really jazzed.

Jubilife? why does that sound familiar? Oh, right. The television show from the start of the game. Jubilife TV.

Well, then Jubilife City, here we come. But first...I have one more stop to make...

Continue on to Episode 7

Next Time: We get waist deep in a sea of Bidoof.

Last edited:

Crimson Doom

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 11, 2019
[sub]Whoa, scary mom voice.[/sub] Uh...Yeah, sure.
I think your formatting got a little borked up here.

Also, while I'm here, breaking my long-held habit of lurking around stories and never commenting, can I just say that I really appreciate that you always inject little bits of character into even the one-off, never-meeting-you-again characters? Even if it's a morally horrible character (wtf mom don't get rid of your underage son's bed), the fact that you have these situations where I can find myself laughing because of your unexpected characterization is one of the reasons I really enjoy your run. (The other, of course, being the snark at all the weird stuff in Pokemon games I'd gotten used to.)

Alba Corbina

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Considering your mom doesn't seem to have her own room, or even a couch to sleep on in the main room, I think she's earned putting in a jacuzzi.

Link

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)