• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

General Shiny Pokemon Thread!

Thread Description
All that glitters is goooooooold

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
I didn't find my first random shiny until 2011/12-I was playing SS (not a locke) and was in the Whirl Islands to fight Lugia when I ran into a yellow Krabby. I freaked out and caught it immediately, but since I had a Feraligatr I never used it.

A while later, I started a locke in Diamond, and had just made my Route 203 catch when a brown Starly showed up. I lost my shit and caught it, but I wasn't sure if I could use him or not. I ended up deciding to use him and count him as my catch for another route, and I'm so happy I did-Falco was one of the run's MVPs, and went all the way to the end.

Later that run, I picked up the game solely intending to check something, and a blue Psyduck popped up (Route 210, I believe). I caught it too, but since I already had a Floatzel I never used him. He immediately became first backup, though I kind of wish I had used him since having two shinies on the same team would have been really neat...

A few runs later, I'm lockeing Emerald, and grinding for Roxanne in Rusturf Tunnel. I'd already caught a Whismur, but then one with green ears showed up. I was literally jumping up and down, especially after I caught him-I was documenting the run, which made it even more exciting. I didn't plan to use a Whismur, but I wasn't gonna pass up using a shiny, and I'm glad I did-Hector ended up being one of my best 'mons, and he made it all the way to the top.

Not long after that, I was playing X for the first time (not a locke), and I'd just caught a Pikachu in Santalune Forest when I saw another one that looked off, but I didn't see the sparkles. I caught it just to be safe, and sure enough, it was shiny. Naturally I threw her onto my team.

Later in the playthrough, I was in the Lost Hotel when I ran into a bronze Magneton. I was really excited, but then panic set in-my Lucario was at the front of my team, and this Magneton had Magnet Pull...to make it worse, Lucario had Fighting, Ground, and Poison attacks, so I couldn't risk attacking it. So I started flinging balls...and the third one caught it. It went on my team as well, even though I already had the shiny Raichu.

Then I did a randomlocke in FR, and when I was grinding for Giovanni, I found a dark blue Horsea. I caught it and he became a lovely purple Kingdra, although I didn't team him since I had a Politoed I was very attached to. I just wish I could get him onto a cartridge...

My last random shiny was in a Y locke-I was going through the forest outside Snowbelle when I ran into a Foongus horde, and one had a purple cap. It took a long time to kill the others, especially since Effect Spore kept triggering, but I caught it in the end.

Arie Kazami

Your everyday, ordinary guy
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Just an Ordinary Trainer that doing his Nuzlocke
There's a lot of them, but I gonna only listed a few of them right now.

-On MY 2ND Omega Ruby Nuzlocke, I found at least two shiny: Nincada and Geodude, all random encounter without I even planning to hunt too
-Also at Alpha Sapphire Nuzlocke, I found Random Shiny Zigzagoon Instead XD
-Recently in my regular Ultra Moon Save file, I've manage to get Shiny Golett through Masuda Method(60+ eggs needed)

Candle the Cat

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 11, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pokémon Type
Fire, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon constantly bursts with energy, but be careful or it may burn out...
I have a single shiny rattata in pokemon go. I prefer bug types on pokemon go tho so it's just a pet.

Sirwallaby

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
While I never posted it here, second day of playing sword (day after the game released) I come across a shiny out of nowhere while I'm trying to get a handful of levels for the next gym. (I didn't spend all that much time on the wild area, so I ended up finding myself wildly underleveled for the trainers on that route.)

Casper (spur of the moment naming choice as it was the first thing that popped into my head and I desperately wanted to save as soon as possible) is a pokemon I wouldn't have added to my first playthrough team under normal circumstances but he was a very good team member and I think he got rather nicely into the team I had. (Obstagoon, eldegoss, thievul, and centiskorch, with a toxtricity being the only other boy on the team.)

Killjoy

Oops! All Unova!
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
the ride never ends, and crying is not an emergency
I'm replaying Sacred Gold on mobile NDS emulator, purely because I learned Drayano added Fairy types, and my very first encounter in Dark Cave was a Shiny Zubat. I named him Chris because it's a christmas miracle and he is Naughty.
I guess he was put on the naughty list by Santa.

Browncow45

Kanto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 18, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pokémon Type
Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon would rather be doing donuts than fighting Ganon.
This year, found a shiny Pupitar and evolved it in my Y Nuzlocke. Got a shiny Ho-oh after idk how many resets in E-shop Gold version, being my first wild shiny legend. Bred a shiny Onix in Alpha Sapphire a couple days ago. Think it took me around 150 eggs.

As for my history with shinies, I'm not really going there. My luck finding them without actually hunting them is bonkers.

PageEmperor

Currently busy grinding in my nuzruns and studying
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Just a guy with way to many ongoing Nuzlockes.
Well considering this is a nuzlocke forum, I guess I’ll show off my fist cartridge nuzlocke shiny, a Golurk I found while grinding for the champion! I can’t use him though, because bad nature and ability (Bold and Klutz) but Golurk has a very good shiny so I’m glad that I have it!

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
At the risk of sounding like I'm bragging, I've gotten literal hundreds of Shinies. I've hunted them quite a bit since Black 2 came out, and I was able to legitimately get the Cute Charm exploit going in Platinum, Heart Gold, and Soul Silver (It was using ROMs, so I could switch between HG and SS to get everything that I could). I'll kind of go over my "highlights" over the years:

-First Shiny was a Growlithe in Gold before I even knew about the Red Gyarados. I just caught it because it looked cool.
-First Gen III Shiny was a Zigzagoon that I accidentally restarted over
-First legit Gen IV Shiny (I had a brief hacking phase, I admit) was an Abra. You can guess how that turned out.
-First PokeRadar Shiny was a Doduo in Platinum
-First Shiny starter was a random Shiny Piplup. I wasn't hunting at all.
-First Gen V Shiny was a Litwick that took 80 Masuda Method Eggs
-First Shiny legendary was a Cresselia in Platinum that I RNG abused for
-First Shiny legendary I hunted for was a Cobalion in Black 2
-First Shiny starter that I hunted for was a Charmander in LeafGreen
-First Gen VI Shiny was a Friend Safari Dunsparce
-First Gen VII Shiny was a random Shiny Haunter
-Only random Shiny Legendary is a Registeel
-First Gen VIII Shiny was a random Shiny Gossifleur on Day 1
-I got seven Wailmer via chain fishing while trying to get Horsea in Omega Ruby, making it my most obtained Shiny aside from Gyarados
-I obtained over 100 random/hunted Shinies in Gen VI

Also, I'd been hunting Galarian Zigzagoon on and off since early December and was getting quite bored of it so I started encountering the Zigzagoon around the Nursery in the Wild Area. After an annoying 1354 eggs with the Shiny Charm and Masuda Method (1/512) I...found one in the wild. I don't think I've ever been simultaneously happy and annoyed at getting a Shiny I've been hunting.

Emperor ServingSpoon

The original AND the 16th!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Adept at procrastination. If he ever seems productive, it's likely because he's ignoring something far more important.
Would you believe I caught two shiny Magikarp from raids earlier? Yeah, I thought you would.

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is a master of having too many projects at the same time. Also, Pikablu.
I got my first shiny in a mainline Pokemon game... not too long ago, actually! Say hi to Bertha, the shiny Graveler.

Caught in a Quick Ball as you can see, since if I'd tried to whittle it down there was a very high chance things would go wrong, either due to Selfdestruct or it's various Rock type moves (I was grinding a Ponyta at the time). She nearly didn't get used due to it being a Fire/Water duotype run (and even if I'd used her, she shared weaknesses with several of my party members), but I did manage to win a couple contests with her! The run's over already, so I might do something else with her at some point.

Aside from that, I've only ever caught two other shinies in Pokemon Uranium: a Grozard and a Tricwe, both in the same save file. Pictured below, because I don't have any ingame screenshots.

I haven't used said save file in a while, and I'm pretty sure I still have it, so I might get back to it some time. I don't consider these two as impressive as Bertha above, since the shiny odds are significantly higher in Uranium (1/1024 if I'm correct).

That's it as far as shinies go for me, even if I've been playing Pokemon for a good chunk of my life. There may be some others I don't remember, but I doubt it.

Neotornado

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
I need to buy a pro account? (He/Him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.

When the shiny shows up so fast you forget to actually have the syncher in the party. (something like 30-35 battles in)
Also obtained a shiny Pincurchin, Flapple, Grapploct, and Arctozolt before this in swish but the forums aren't letting me show the images for them. (all of them were hatched except the Arctozolt which took something around the line of 1,000+ revivals for)

Ionbird

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 11, 2020
I've collected quite a few shinies over the years. My first one was a Golbat I found in Emerald on Victory Road. I've also caught a Geodude on Leaf Green, a Magnemite after a short chain in Diamond, a Metapod in Soul Silver, Spheal and Xatu in the Friend Safari in X, bred a shiny Charmander also in X, and a Spearow in Sun. That's not even counting the bunch I got on trades/GTS in Diamond.

As for shinies in Nuzlockes I caught 2. A Sableye in Alpha Sapphire (cool Mega form too) I found on Victory Road and a Hippopotas on Route 9 in X. Female Hippopotas may be mistaken for shinies but not mine. Not only does she sparkle, but my catch for the route was a normal female Hippopotas and I often got a kick of putting the two side by side just to see the differences.

Uncle Pine

This kills the crab
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 13, 2019
Pokémon Type
Grass, Fairy
I didn't use to keep track of the shinies I found, but I decided to start doing it recently and already found two over the course of my UCL2 runs! A shiny Onix in FireRed (which I ended up not using) and a shiny Seaking in HeartGold.
In the interest of not forgetting again about nuzlocke shinies, I decided to cram them all in my signature :)

Dschubba

Has forgotten she's a diurnal creature.
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Female
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
Recently, my years and years of rotten shiny luck really paid off with a shiny Wooloo. With square sparkles, because apparently there's two different sparkle effects now?

Killjoy

Oops! All Unova!
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
the ride never ends, and crying is not an emergency
What kind of luck is finding Shiny Hypno on Victory Road while speed-grinding for Ghetsis in randomized White? Does this count as luck? Anyways, his name is PIGLET. and he is just a human man with very pink skin.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
I just now caught a shiny Tympole in my second Sword run. I already have a Seismitoad, but still. Nice to have.

Picket Furret

Antisocial Lurker
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Normal
I somehow found two in my recent nuzlocke of Platinum: a Zubat and a Rhyhorn, both of whom I evolved into a Crobat and a Rhyperior respectively

I had suspisions that my file had a lucky ID or something since my first encounters were pretty amazing

I wound up losing said run, but I put them in my bank anyways since you'd be daft if you thought I was going to leave them in my file to rot

MarkedInStone

Kanto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Over Mt. Silver and down in the Valley Windworks
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This POKéMON is struggling to figure out what interesting stuff he can put into his Pokédex entry.
Grinding for Chili in B/W and I ran right into a shiny Lillipup?! I caught her and named her after the first thing I said when I realized she was a shiny.

So, yeah. Jesus the Lillipup.

NekoSuave

TFW you lose someone you love to a crit.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ice
Recently, while I was grinding for the first gym in my Black Nuzlocke, I was fretting over how I was supposed to beat Cilan when none of my Pokémon could lower his Lillipup's Attack. I had a lot of bad luck the first few times I tried a Nuzlocke on Gen V because I almost always wiped at the Striaton Gym. Well, RNGesus threw me a bone and gave me a Shiny Purrloin. She wound up taking care of Lillipup with ease.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)