• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Seven of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode concludes one reading and premiers another. Also, we brought back several guests for an extra long discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Written Story Johto Second chance - A Crystal Nuzlocke

Thread Description
Chapter 16 Mar/09/2020

Fennec

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
Rating in place just in case.

1) If a pokemon faints, it's dead. Box it forever.
2) Catch only the first Pokemon in any area you enter.*
3) Gift from heaven: Random shinnies are a gift from Mew, Celebii or Jirachi. As such every effort must be made to catch them. Once caught, the pokemon must take place permanently in your party. If a pokemon was originally caught on that route, the Shinny replaces it. All effort must be made to keep a shinny alice.
4) No turning back: Once entering a gym/villain hideout/Story-centric, I can't leave until the area is cleared.
5) Legendaries cannot be caught, only slain.
6) Repels are not allowed.
7) Slavery is wrong: I may not turn a pokemon into an HM slave. No more than 1 HM move per pokemon, unless no other pokemon in the current party can learn it.
8) Happily ever after: In order for the run to be considered completed, Red must be fought.

*Areas are considered to be any routes and town. Gift pokemon count as the 'catch' for that area. If hatching an egg, it cannot be hatched in a place where a pokemon was previously obtained.
**Can ignore a dupe twice. Third time means it's destiny. (Dupe meaning any pokemon registered in the pokedex)
***All of the above rules only take effect after I gain pokeballs.

It wasn't suppose to end like this, she reflected as the life slowly drained from her. Her vision was slowly dimming, hiding the wreckage of what had been her home. She wish her sense of smell had gone first, the stench of flesh burning. . . It felt like she would throw up had she been able to move. At least she could only hear a dull roar instead of the roar of rage and agony she knew were still echoing around her. There was a silver lining after all.

"I wish. . ." she began.

But what use was wishing now when it was too late? When the world was doomed? He was supposed to have stopped this. He was the best there ever was after all. How could he have failed?

What is it you would wish for, child?

To have done more, to have worked past her fear and help him when she had the chance. To have done anything instead of letting everyone else put themselves in danger. At least this way, she could have died at peace with herself, knowing she'd done everything she could.
You have to say it out loud, child. Or there's nothing we can do.

"I... wish, I wish that I could have done something, that I could have helped to prevent this somehow."

She was dying she knew, so what harm was there in humoring the strange voices in her head.

Not what we were hoping for precisely.

We can work with it,. Listen Lillie. We are going to give you a chance to prevent this.

But you will have to be very brave, braver than you have ever been, braver than anyone should be. Can you do that for us?

“I want to be brave,” she whispered faintly, drawing in her final breath.

But before she could exhale, the moment before her heart beat its last, time stopped.

Child, open your eyes, one of the voice commanded, and she did. She was in a prairie with uncounted flowers the kind of which she had never seen before. In the distance she could see a vast forest.

“Where am I? This doesn't look like-” she began in awe as a moment before she had been in the smoldering ruins of the lab.

Technically speaking, you're dead, one of the voices said cheerfully. But don't worry, we got to you in time and this is only temporary.

Rather than being alarmed, she took the news with calm. It was then that she realized that the voices belonged to three pokemon in front of her and her awe only intensified.

Relax, the green one in the center said, Celebi if she wasn't mistaken. Plenty of people have seen us before.

“All at once?” she asked incredulously.

Well, no, the pink one, Mew admitted. But circumstance were dire.

Can we please hurry,
the third one asked. This isn't as easy as I'm making it look and time is running out.

Time is running out?
Celebi asked, clearly amused. We have all the time in the world if I so choose. My Lord has graciously agreed to stop it's flow here.

I think perhaps was Jirachi meant is that it isn't healthy for humans to be here,even when time doesn't pass. It changes them.

Oh. Right. Well. Shall we get to it then?

Jirachi leveled a look at Celebi that she had herself used on her brother in very similar situations.

Right then. Child, you made a wish, and Jirachi can grant you that wish. The problem is, it's a little more complicated than it seems.

There are things you don't know, couldn't know. You can help, you can be a big help, but...

Complications. With my help, you can go back to where it all began. But it is a long journey, and you might still fail.

A few of us, those of us that are still sane and alive are working together to give you this chance. There is so much at work. Unfortunately, you were mortally injured and we might be amazing, but we're not Arceus. What we can do however is move you into a vessel that was prepared specifically for that occasion.

“I. . . I'm not sure I understand.”

We are going to move your soul and spirit back in time into a new body that was created specifically for that purpose. As far as anyone is concerned, you'll belong. If you say something you shouldn't, they will hear something else-

In most cases.

-Yes. In most cases. Your first task is to find Red. The greatest pokemon trainer who ever lived. But it will not be easy. There will be many, many hardship on your journey.

But we think you have what it takes. Are you ready for this?

“I don't know. But I'll try. My mother was responsible for this, it's up to me to fix what she broke.

Technically, only partially responsible, and she hasn't broken it yet but -

Very well, child. Good luck.

We'll be in touch, somehow. There's a lot you need to know.

Oh, and be careful. We gave you this chance because you wished for it. But this is a one time thing. Alright?

“Alright. I'll do my best. It's what he would have done.”

One last thing. When you wake up, this might seem like it was all a dream, a really, really bad one. And we won't be able to shield you from your emotions. And Lillie?

“Yes?”

When this is all over, please... try and find it in your heart to forgive us.

A heartbeat, and then she woke up in the dark, screaming.

There you have it folks. The prologue. I'll actually start the Nuzlocke tomorrow morning when I wake up, and I still haven't settled on a starter. If anyone has a suggestion, I'll take it, if not, I'll flip a coin twice or something.

Last edited:

csidvuL

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
This is a wild premise! I’m super excited for your opening chapter. The trio of legendaries and the mix of pokemon generations present is spicy, and I’m intrigued by Lillie’s references to an unnamed male character — Sun, Gladion, Mohn? It’ll be fun to find out as the story unfolds. I also think your premise is a fun take on the isekai genre. The idea that she’ll be covered for some details, but not others, and the existence of the character she’ll become... I think they’re cool ideas to explore, for the comedic value of the former and the just generally interesting ground that the latter could cover.

If you’re taking starter votes, I think Totodile would be fun!

Fennec

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It took at least two hours for her to calm down enough to get back to sleep, her mother, for lack of a better term had held her until she fell asleep in a comforting embrace she hadn't felt in a long time. When she woke up again, her stomach was clenched and she was sweating. She strained to hear the sound of battle in the distance until she realized that she wasn't sleeping in the loft, but in a bedroom and that she could hear birds chirping outside.

“Wha-” she said in the voice of confused teens waking up in the morning everywhere.

Had she dreamed the whole thing? Looking around she realized that she hadn't. She wasn't in her room at the Aether Foundation. This placed looked much more lived in and untidy than any other room she had ever spent any amount of time in. Which meant she had really met Celebi, Mew and Jirachi. It was a good thing she was already laying down.

“Honey, are you coming down for breakfast? I made you favorite!”

Her stomach chose to inform her that she should go down there now, whether or not it was her favorite. She barely paid attention to her clothes as she dressed, still in a dreamlike state. She had met with three legendary pokemon. In all likelihood, she would have spent the day, maybe even the week in a daze if she hadn't caught sight of her reflection and it was as if she'd been soaked in freezing water. The person staring back at her was a stranger, someone who hadn't spent the last year hiding from rampaging beasts and insane pokemon, struggling just to survive, and in the end –. When the woman who'd held her last night, her mother she remembered, came in, she found Lillie sitting on her bed holding her head between her head, trying not to get sick with nerves.

“What's the matter honey? Are you still nervous? If you're not up for it, you can wait till next year. Hank – I mean Professor Elm will understand if you want to delay your trainer's journey. He wouldn't mind getting more time to be ready for you.”

The mention of Professor Elm snapped her out of her downwards spiral towards panic. Yes. Sure. It was true that her old self was actually dead and it had only now sunk in. But this was one of the few man to achieve the title of Pokemon Professor. And her “mom” was on a first name basis with him? The moment the thought occurred to her, grayed out memories popped up, memories she had no business having about growing up next door to Hank Elm, a young man who had only recently become a professor. How far back had she been sent?

And why did she have this nagging feeling that she was forgetting something important?

“Oh no, that's okay mom,” she said. “Just a case of nerves. You know how I get.”

The words were out of her mouth without pausing to stop by her brain. Before she could correct herself however, she heard another voice, one she hadn't heard before.

Mother said you might need help, it said with a trace of disgust in its voice. She never mentioned I would need to hold your hand. If you are to find this Red, you need to be a pokemon trainer and a good one. Learn, human. And learn fast. The fate of the world rests in your inept hands.

“I. . .I should go and see if he's ready!” she said, forcing cheer in her voice. “I'll see you in a bit!”

She rushed out of the room before the woman could say anything, trying not to freak out again. It couldn't have been who she thought it was that hijacked her mouth and had just talked to her. His dislike for human was notorious, if he even existed, and only the fact that humans posed no threat to him had stayed his hand. Or so it was said.

“Ah, Lillie. You're finally here! Ready to begin your journey as a pokemon trainer?”

She snapped out of her reverie and saw that she'd made her way to Professor Elm's lab. The equipment looked expensive and very new. Nothing like – No. That was in the past – no. The future. . It hadn't happened yet and if she had her way it wouldn't. She stiffened her resolved at the thought of what Sun would say if he could see her now.

“I am Professor,” she said formally. “Are those the pokemon I can choose from?” she asked, when her eyes caught sight of the three pokeballs.

“Yes, they are. They're very rare but I think that you and the young man will be great trainer for them. Whoever is left over can stay with me and keep me company,” he replied cheerfully, but Lillie wasn't listening anymore, her eyes fixed on the three pokemon in front of her. She had dreamed of course, of having a pokemon of her own and maybe being a trainer. But she had always lacked the nerve to take that step, second guessing her ability to be a good pokemon trainer. Now that she didn't have a choice however, she was entranced by the three pokemon. She almost melted in a puddle of adoration when the fire type yawned and curled up to sleep and almost made her decision then, but something stopped her.

“Persephone would be a good choice,” the Professor said at her elbow. “Especially for a beginner trainer. She has a good temperament.”

“Persephone is the grass type?” she asked, unsure about the pokemon in this region.

At his nod, she glanced at the pokemon and had to admit it was cute too. But her eyes drifted back to the fire type.

“Ah, you like Vulcan? He's a bit shy and a long time investment. If you're patient, eventually he could become the strongest of the three, with the proper care.”

Vulcan is okay if all you want is a pet, sneered a voice. And all Persephone wants to do all day is sun herself. Grass-type man. I'm sure some of them are active, but most seem to be just rooted in place. Heh, get it?

Looking down at the source of the voice, she was only a little surprised to see a tiny blue pokemon. In a moment, the rest of her caught on to the fact that she could understand her, and this one wasn't a legendary pokemon, just a normal, if rare one.

Now. If what you want is a real fighter, you should pick me. I'll take you to the top.

“What about this one? What's her name?”

“Ammit? She's a feisty one, even for a totodile. I'm not sure she's the best match for you Lillie.”

Pffft. What does he know? Oh why am I wasting my time. Humans can't understand pokemon. Every one knows that. Maybe this Silver kid will have better taste.

“She's the one I want,” Lillie said decisively. “I think we'll get along just fine.”

She couldn't say what made her decide to pick the totodile. Maybe it was simply the fact that she could understand what she was saying, or imagine she did anyways. Or it could be that she seemed to be the most gutsy of the three, the one ready to get out there and do something. All she knew was that she'd made the right choice.

“Are you certain?”

“I am. She's the one I want.”

“If you're certain then, she's yours. Now. Let me register her to you then you can be on your way. I'll get you set up with the standard trainer beginner package.”

Lillie nodded absently, having eyes only for Ammit.

Wow kid. I thought for sure you'd pick Vulcan. Is every pre-teen girl's dream. Cute, cuddly, warm. Can't fault your taste though.

“I'll let you know I'm thirteen, that makes me a teen,” she told her pokemon.

She saw exactly the moment when Ammit realized she'd understood her. Her jaw didn't actually hit the floor, but it gave it a good try.

You can understand me? Oh. My. Arceus. This was meant to be! I always thought it was just a rumor, that some trainer could understand pokemon. Ha! Of course, it's only natural that my trainer would be awesome.

“Well, I don't know about that. What I do know though is that you and I are going to save the world.”

Of course we will those gym leader do- wait, come again?

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the read! I have plans, big plans for a trilogy maybe, we'll see how this one goes. I will also be playing fast and loose with the timeline and lore, this is my story after all, but I'll do my best to keep it interesting. I might do separate lore/timeline posts from time to time in lieu of an update/when writer's block is trying to stop me. Hope you enjoy this first chapter as well!

Fennec

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
So. Let me get this straight, Ammit said after a while, walking side by side with her trainer. You're a pokemon trainer from the future that was sent back in time to stop the apocalypse, only, your old body died just as you made a wish to fix things so Mew, Celebi and Jirachi had a body prepared for you and sent your consciousness back in time.

“Well, almost. I wasn't actually a pokemon trainer. You're the first pokemon I've ever had, but yes. Essentially.”

Somehow, that doesn't make it better. You have no experience as a trainer, and yet you were the best choice to stop Armageddon? How did you even travel if you didn't have a pokemon? I distinctly remember you saying you traveled.

“Oh, I was either with Sun, Hau or one of the Captains. Or I used repels.”

You used repels without having a pokemon? Are you INSANE? That stuff is toxic to humans and not that much better for pokemon. Wait, didn't you said you were sheltering a nebby?

“I did. But I wasn't his trainer. Besides, Nebby wasn't really a pokemon.”

Oh. Still. Repels girl. It's a miracle you're not dead if you were using them on yourself.

“Don't be silly. Repels haven't been toxic in years. . . Oh.” she stopped in her track as the implication hit her. “And you said it's bad for pokemon too? My tutor never mentioned it that I recall.”

Well he wouldn't, would he? Humans can be great, sure. But a lot of time they have a tendency to disregard us. It's really, really itchy, it reeks, why else would it keep wild pokemon away? And the smells linger in your nose for days.

“No repels then. I wonder what else is different?”

I have no idea. And I still haven't decided whether or not you're insane or telling the truth. You got to admit, this is a bit much to take. I wouldn't go around telling everyone about this. Doesn't change a thing though. Saving the world. Meeting this Red dude, becoming Champion, whatever you set out to do, I'm all in girl.

Before she could reply, feeling warm all over, another voice answered from around her ankle.

Wouldn't matter if she did, now would it? Weren't you listening? If she says something weird or out of place, people will hear what they expect instead.

Looking down, she saw a rattata the like of which she'd never seen, the coloring and the shape of it's face were different than what she was used to.

“Oh aren't you just a little darling,” she cooed, crouching towards the pokemon and offering her fingers to smell. “I've never seen a purple rattata before. You're so pretty.” The rattata visibly preened and jumped on her offered fingers after taking a sniff.

Name's Venus, I'm looking to get out of this place, but the wilds are a dangerous place. Do you think I could tag along?

“Aren't. . . aren't I suppose to capture you? I don't think I've ever seen Sun befriend a pokemon without catching it first.”

I guess you could. Most trainers just can't be bothered with a rattata. But full disclosure, I'm looking for a friend of mine. I haven't seen him in a while and I'm worried about him.

“I don't have a problem with it,” she said to the pokemon who was now perching comfortably on her shoulder. “And when we find him, I can release you if you want.”

Oh there won't be any need for that. Mars will want to come along I'm sure.

“Well. Now that that's settle, I think we've reached Cherrygrove. Isn't that one of those gate houses Professor Elm was talking about?”

Well, actually I think that's a -

But Lillie had already gone on through the door, leaving Ammit to follow behind, muttering about just because a trainer could understand what you said didn't mean that she'd listen.

“Ammit, I don't think this is a gate house. It looks more like overnight shelter than anything else.

You don't say. I'm almost sure that this is route 46. We could check it out, see if we can do some actual training? I'm tough, but I know I can get tougher.

“Oh! Maybe we can make a new friend there as well!”

That too I guess.

Can you girls hear that? Sounds like someone's in trouble.

And without another word, Venus jumped off Lillie's shoulder and was racing ahead.

Guess we better follow her before something happens. Rattatas aren't exactly tough, and she too rushed forward, following her pokemon on route 46. The scene she was greeted with was not one she was expected. A small spearow was being attacked by a bunch of geodude. What was strange to the new trainer was that the spearow she had known had all been very aggressive, flocking and bullying birds that would defend their territory against all comers. Not shivering and cowering birds trying to make themselves as small as possible. The geodude also struck her as odd, though she couldn't put her finger on the why.

“Be careful guys,” she said, readying a pokeball. “Geodude can be pretty tough. I remember Sun complaining about them. I'm going to try to catch the poor thing. I don't want to have to face off against all those guys.”

What are you talking about. Geodude are just dumb rocks and I have a type advantage against them. I'll turn them into gravel if they keep harassing that poor spearow.

Lillie had already thrown the pokeball. . . and missed. The spearow however wasn't about to look at an escape in the mouth and it dashed for it, tapping the capture button and letting itself be caught. The rock pokemon turned as one and Lillie was trying her best not to panic.

“Ammit, come back. You don't have a water move against them and I don't know if they have any electric attacks. I can't tell how strong they are.”

Electric attacks on a geodude? What on Celebi's green earth are you talking about Lillie?

Well, they didn't know that now did they.

“Maybe, maybe we should run away?”

I've got the ball, let's go. We can meet the new guy later.

I can take them. Come on. I don't need a water move to crush them into dust.

But the geodude had apparently had had enough of the situation and this crazy trainer and hovered away. With a sigh of disappointment, Ammit came back to Lillie and looked up at her.

Now, what on earth did you mean, a geodude having an electric attack?

“Well, they're rock and electric types, aren't they?”

Xita

Moo
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Water, Dark
Ah, Alola form and regular form confusion. Looks like you’re playing as you write so I wonder how that’s going to affect deaths in the run. Especially when it comes to poor Lillie, though consider what she’s already been through a few deaths shouldn‘t shake her in comparison to the whole world dying lol

Fennec

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
I am playing as I write yes. But clearly I'm fairly long winded as I wrote the prologue before starting the game. I've just beaten Falkner in the game. at the time I wrote this. I'm starting to have to take notes, even if I just loosely follow the game script. As for the whole world dying thing and it's effect on Lillie, well, without getting into too much detail, she knows the world was ending. But she spent a lot of the end of the world hiding in the professor's lab in the basement. Though the stuff she witnessed was pretty bad, it wasn't her fault. If/When someone dies, she'll only have herself to blame, in her eyes anyways.

Fennec

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
Finally, we're at Cherrygrove. How's the new guy doing?

“Hermes is fine, just a little shaky still.”

I still don't get why he didn't just fly away. He's got wings right? If I had wings, I'd have picked them up and dropped them from the sky. Teach them not to mess with me.

“Ammit,” Lillie scolded. “Not everyone is as brave as you are.”

And he is a bit on the small size isn't he? Those geodude were all bigger than him, and they're made of solid rock. I don't think he could have lifted them even if he'd wanted to.

Oh yeah? Well …

The young trainer sighed as Venus and Ammit continued their bickering. As their trainer, she should put a stop to it, but she wasn't much of a trainer and they might not listen. What was it that Sun had told her once? Never give an order unless you know they'll obey. Disobedience is habit forming, unless there's a penalty for it. She didn't think she had it in her to punish her pokemon just for bickering, or at all.

“Young lady, you look lost in thought. Is everything alright?”

“Oh no. Everything is alright. I'm just a little distracted. Say, have you seen the pokemon center? I'd like to get my pokemon checked out and maybe buy a few things after.”

“Oh, I can take you to the pokemon center and then the pokemart. Cherrygrove might be small, but it isn't as small as New Bark Town and we wouldn't want a pretty young thing like you getting lost, would we?”

“I suppose not,” she replied a bit unsure.

She followed him around town for a while, listening to him talk about the town and it's people as he showed her around. It didn't take long for her to realize that he was just lonely.

“And this here, is my home. Built it with my own two hands back in the day with my dear wife's help, Ho-oh bless her soul.”

“It's a really nice home,” she replied.

“A bit empty these days I fear. Thank you young lady for keeping an old man company. Here, I got this for my grand children, but I think you'll get more use out of it.”

“Oh, I couldn't possibly accept it.”

“Nonsense. You're a fledgling trainer from the smallest town in Jotho. Besides, you kept an old man company for much longer than you needed to and listened to me ramble on for ages.”

“Well if you're sure....”

“I am,”

“Well thank you Sir. It was a nice way to spend the afternoon.”

And with that, they parted way, Lillie feeling pleased that she had done something nice for someone else. Ammit and Venus were no longer bickering once they left Cherrygrove behind, which was a relief, and were instead discussing the merits of different kind of items.

Potions are nice and all, but I hear that there's a lot of chemicals in them and though it's not bad for you, it's not good for you. I've always wanted to try those lemonade they have in Goldrenrod city. I hear they're delicious.

Still man made though. Give me berries any time of the week. All natural and you don't get weird chemicals pumping in your veins. Not that there's anything wrong with potions persay. . .

I like berries,
chirped Hermes from his perch on Lillie's shoulder. They're yummy.

Oh looked at that, the bird can speak!

Oh . . . oh I'm sorry. I'll be quiet, I didn't mean to bother anyone . . .

Look what you did, Ammit, Venus scolded. It's okay, Hermes, was it? Ammit just says whatever is on her mind. I'm Venus, the loud totodile is Ammit and this is our trainer, Lillie.

I'm Hermes. . . .but you already knew that. . . Thanks for saving me. I'm sorry for all the trouble. . .

And I! I am the great and mighty Shinatobe! Prepared to be amazed!

The hell!?

“Oh! A caterpie! I've always wanted a butterfree!”

Ah! I see that you have excellent taste then! Very well, I shall do battle with you and should you manage to best me in fair combat, I will honor you by joining you on your journey.

The look on her pokemon's face was one of incredulity. After a look at one another, Ammit shrugged and stepped forward, cracking her neck.

Alright. I've been itching for a fight. Let's do this bug.

The caterpie took one look at the advancing totodile and realized that the blue pokemon was several times larger than she was. And up close, those teeth looked awfully sharp, and . . .close. She gulp almost inaudibly and almost retreated.

Actually. I'm feeling merciful today. It would be unfair to pit myself against your pokemon. The shame of their sound defeat would besmirch their honor for years to come. In the face of your totodile's bravery against overwhelming odds, I have decided to join you. Courage should always be rewarded.

Again, Venus and Ammit exchange a look, one amused, the other disgruntled.

Man, I'm never going to fight anyone at this rate. Lillie, can I still fight her? Just a little?

“That won't be necessary Ammit.” Lillie replied. “Maybe you could save your energy for later?”

Why did I know you were going to say that? She muttered. Okay. But the next battle is mine. Alright?

“That sounds fair. Shinatobe, welcome to the team.”

“Hey, you!” a voice called from behind. “You're Lillie, right?”

Four heads turned to see a boy approaching. Red haired, a stride full of confidence. He had an aura of toughness around him.

“Y-yes. I'm Lillie. . .” she began, and then she wondered. Red was suppose to be a tough trainer, and he looked the part, down to his crimson coloring. Could it really be that easy? If she was seeking Red, was he seeking her as well? “And . . . are you Red?”

“Red? As in the Kanto Champion Red? I'm afraid not. But if you're looking to face off against a Champion, I'm your man, I aim to be the toughest trainer in the world. I was just curious who the other trainer Elm gave a pokemon to was, gauge the competition.”

“Oh, I'm just a beginner. . .I don't know if I'm up to fighting against another trainer yet....”

Lilliiiiiiie, you promised I could fight next time. This is it! Let me at him.

“Oh alright. Ammit. If we have to do this, I guess we might as well get it done and over with. Ammit, go.”

“Totodile huh? How unfortunate for you. Go Chikorita!”

Persephone? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh boy. You're so fu .. . err. Doomed.

“Her name is Persephone, surely Professor Elm told you.”

“Why do I care? She's a chikorita. Why do I care what her name is until she's stronger?”

Oh. That's it. That guy needs a trashing. Let's do this Lillie.

“Yeah,” she replied, for once in complete agreement with her feisty totodile. “Let's.”

Yes, I know, I'm doing things out of order. No it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Fun fact, as some point between getting Ammit and meeting Silver, Lillie and Ammit had a conversation about language. It's possible that soap was involved, or the threat of it. In case you were wondering.

Last edited:

Fennec

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
Ammit stood facing the red-headed boy's chikorita, completely unfazed by the fact that she was at a type disadvantage, her body quivering with the eagerness to fight. She was so ready for this. Persephone for her part was less sanguine about her prospect, along with Vulcan, she had been raised with Ammit and she knew the water type was scrappy. Type advantage was all well and good, if you had a move of that type.

“Hum... guys?” Lillie said. “Does any of you know what move Ammit has?”

She wasn't completely inept at what came pokemon battles, she'd watched Sun and Hau after all. The problem was, she had never thought she would be a trainer, and even had she entertained the possibility, she didn't know much about the fighting aspect of pokemon.

Huh. . . Maybe she can growl? A lot of pokemon know that move when we're rookies.

Oh, I know peck! But I don't think that's a move Ammit would know. I'm sorry.

Behold the sharpness of her fangs, the wickedness of her claws! If she were to use those on the soft yielding flesh of her opponent, she could claim victory?

“What's the matter Lillie, you're scared?” sneered the trainer.

“N-no! I'm not. I can do this. Ammit use growl!”

“Status move huh? Chikorita, tackle.”

Uh. . . Lil? I don't know growl. I could le-oof.

“That didn't sound like a growl. Ha! Can't even control your pokemon . . .What a weakling you are.”

“I'm not weak! This is just my first battle!”

“Ugh. Try to use the same tactic you used to capture those other three then, Try and make it a little interesting.”

“...”

“You did weaken them before you capture them, you didn't just throw a pokeball at them and hoped for the best?”

“They . . . They all wanted to come along. I didn't fight any of them.”

“Oh for Mew's sake,” he growled. “You captured your pokemon with the power of friendship? I almost feel bad for this.”

He examined her for a moment, really looking at her for the first time. She could see the gears turning in his head until his posture changed to a more relaxed one.

“Ugh. I hate the weak. I can't have you as a rival if you're weak. You won't be able to keep me on my toes otherwise. Are you weak little girl or are you just ignorant? Because one of those can be fixed.”

“A little bit of both I guess. . . But shouldn't we . . . Shouldn't we finish the battle?”

“No point to it. You don't know what you're doing. No matter how though your little totodile is, if he's got an inept trainer, he can't win. Let's call this a draw.”

“Ammit's a she,” she mumbled, embarrassed at her own inexperience.

“Whatever. Follow me. I'll teach you the basics,” he said.

Unsure of what else to do, she followed him. They walked north of Cherrygrove for a while in complete silence. She was aware that her pokemon were talking behind her, all except Hermes who had yet to leave his perch on her shoulder, but she tried not to eavesdrop. They had to be embarrassed with how poorly she was doing.

“Finally!” Silver exclaimed, making her jump and was a bit surprised to see a zubat diving at them. “Chikorita use tackle before it can used leach life. No need to be gentle.”

The grass-type did as it was ordered and sent the zubat crashing down. The young man tossed a pokeball with perfect aim, capturing the pokemon.

“Leech-life is a bug type move, which chikorita would be week against. I weakened it before I captured him. It's harder for them to break free if they're not at one hundred percent and not willing to join peacefully. It's also important that you realize that Zubat is a flying poison type, but it knows moves outside those two types.”

“O-okay. But how do you know what moves your pokemon have? I mean, I know Hermes knows peck, but that's because he told me.”

“A lot of trainers figure it out before they start. Others get lucky and – ah, there we are.”

They stopped in front of a small house in the middle of nowhere and Lillie was suddenly anxious. Feeling their trainer's discomfort, her pokemon closed ranks around her.

“The guy that lives there is a giant nerd. He's studied battling his entire life, even if he's never actually done battle himself. And he loves talking about it. All. The. Time. Maybe he can teach you a few thing. I don't have time to hold your hand all the time, I've got my journey to worry about. Next time we meet, I won't be so generous and we'll see what kind of trainer you really are. Catch you later!”

And he was gone before she had a chance to thank him.

I don't know if he's a giant jerk or if just acts like one, her rattata said. On the one hand, he's so cocky I want to bite him. On the other, he really didn't have to do this.

He could be a helpful jerk,
Ammit replied cheekily. People can be more than one thing.

Like me! I am both Magnificent AND Powerful.

“He might sound like a jerk, but I appreciate his help. People should be define by their action, not their words. Should we see if the. . . huh expert is here?”

Before anyone could answer, the door opened and an older gentlemen stepped out, clearly on his way out. He stopped when he saw Lillie and her pokemon almost on his doorstep.

“And who might you be young lady and what are you doing way out here? Are you lost?”

“Oh no! Not this time. My name is Lillie and a boy told me that you knew a lot about battling pokemon. If it isn't too much to ask, could you maybe teach me a few things?”

“Teach you about battling huh? You know that Violet City has a pokemon school for that? And you seemed to be doing pretty well, having four pokemon already.”

“Arnie, everything alright?” a second voice called from inside.

“Of course Sam. I just have a young lady here who wants me to teach her what I know. I think Silver put her up to this, trying to make me feel better.”

A second gentleman came in the doorway and she recognized him. He was younger than the last time she'd seen him but she'd recognized him anywhere.

“Professor Oak!” she exclaimed.

“It seems my fame precedes me,” he said with a gentle smile. “And who might you be?”

“I'm Lillie. I didn't mean to interrupt - I mean if you're busy sir, I can come back later or maybe figure it out on my own or, I'm sorry to have bothered you, sir, Professor, I'll go now,” she stammered, flustered at meeting THE Professor Oak.

His work and research had been instrumental in building the Aether Foundation. He was one of her hero and to see him here when she wasn't expecting it was a little more than she was capable of handling at the moment. Any moment now, she'd start hyperventilating.

“You know that he still needs to use his fingers to count?” the man called Armie said. “And I don't think I've ever met someone who was as easily distracted. The man couldn't find his head if it wasn't attached to his shoulders.”

“Huh. . .”

“He's human girl. Like the rest of us. Now, what did you say you wanted help with again?”

“I wanted to learn how to battle, but I can see you're busy and -”

“I see,” Professor Oak said. “And you with four pokemon. That speaks highly of your talent as a pokemon trainer. And you want to add battling skill to your repertoire.”

“Oh I didn't catch them properly,” she said, remembering the sneer in Silver's voice when he said she'd capture them using the power of friendship. “They just wanted to come along and-”

“Lillie, my dear girl. Why don't you come inside,” the Professor's friend said.

She and her pokemon followed, and she was aware that they were uncharacteristically quiet. Staring at the professor with something close to awe. She was glad to see she wasn't the only one.

“Now, Lillie,” her childhood hero said once she was sitting down and had a cup of tea. “I think you might be under some misconception. You're assuming that you're doing things the wrong way. The only way to catch pokemon is breaking the law to capture them. I can see that your pokemon really care for you.”

“Caring for your pokemon is the mark of a true pokemon trainer. Without care, they might get powerful, but they will never be strong.”

Huh, aren't strength and power the same thing?

“No. They aren't, young totodile. Strength is about more than just power. It's about how you handle defeat, about pulling through even when the odds are against you,” Oak said, and for a moment the room was silent.

“You can understand her too?” Lillie asked, eyes wide.

“Of course. I have made a life of studying pokemon because I can understand them, I was gifted with the ability many years ago.”

Awesome. Professor Oak can understand me. This is the greatest day of my life.

“Now Lillie,” he said with a kind smile. “I know you want to know more about battling, but right now is not the best of times to teach you. It's my understanding you're on a quest, and staying here to learn would delay that.”

“How do you. . .”

“I have my ways child. However, I can still help you. I have a prototype pokedex here that links to your pokeballs. It should allow you to not only record data on pokemon you encounter, but also give you the information about their current health and abilities. Learning by doing is the best way as the lessons tend to stick.”

“A pokedex? For me? Really?” she said, barely able to contain her excitement.

Professor Oak was giving her a pokedex? She felt a little faint with an amazement.

“Oh thank you thank you thank you. This is the best day ever, I promise I'll put it to good use and I'll do my best and fix everything. I swear.”

“See that you do child, we're counting on you” he replied.

“And don't forget, the road to the Elite Four is a hard one,” Arnie replied.

She was puzzled for a moment before she realized that Professor Oak's friend had probably heard something else. But a pokedex! From Professor Oak! Best day ever.

Next time, Violet City! (Finally).

Fennec

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
I'm bored.
Ammit's voice carried over the sound of the gentle sound of Lillie's light snore. Professor oak's friend had kindly offered her the guest bedroom for the night and she had collapse on the bed shortly after dinner, the excitement of the day catching up with her all at once. Her pokemon had quickly followed suit, aside from the totodile who was still full of energy.

How about you get some sleep like the rest of us, muttered Venus.

Can't sleep, too excited and I got to much energy to burn. Hey, you guys want to go train while Lillie's sleeping? I bet she'd be super happy if we were tougher when she wakes up.

No. Going out and training without our trainer is incredibly short-sighted. What if we get hurt or die? What if she wakes up and finds us gone? I've only known her a short time and I know she'd be worried sick or think we abandoned her.

Aww, come on. We wouldn't have to go far. There's a bunch of areas just outside the house!

If you want to be selfish and take unnecessary risk, be my guest. I'm staying.

What about you Hermes. Want to get tougher? The area is lousy with bug types. Easy experience for you right? Don't spearow eat those? Cakewalk for you.

Oh no. I don't eat other pokemon. Not since I saw what happened to my sister when she tried eating a pineco. Only berries and seeds for me. Besides, I don't want to make Lillie sad. I like her. She's nice.

Kind of figured. How about you Shinatobe? s
he cajoled. You know how much she wants a butterfree. Don't you want to make her happy?

There was a slight edge of desperation to Ammit's voice. She wanted to go outside and fight something, anything, but she didn't want to go alone. It wasn't that she was scared. It was just easier to train with a partner, and Lillie would probably spread her disappointment on both of them if they got caught. Come to think of it, the idea of disappointing Lillie -

To soar the skies! To enchant Lillie! Count me in, Ammit! It shall be glorious! Lillie will be so please, why she shall rightfully sing our praise!

Then again, Lillie wouldn't actually mind, as long as they presented her with a fait accomplit. Right?

I said I was sorry Lillie, she lamented the next day, Shinatobe fluttering shamefully behind them.

The training had gone well, for the most part, yes their had been a few close calls, but they'd managed to get much stronger than the local wildlife and Shinatobe had evolved twice. But Lillie had been as she'd seen her, almost in tears and Ammit felt properly ashamed. Maybe she should have listened to Venus, not that she'd admit it out loud. Lillie had woken up to find two of her pokemon missing and had been worried sick.

“I'm still mad at both of you. Anything could have happened. What if you'd been poisoned? How could you make it to the safety of a pokeball if your trainer wasn't there?”

“Hey you! Lady! I challenge you to a pokemon battle!”

Lillie stopped and visibly steeled herself before turning around towards the trainer and let out a deep breath.

“I'm sorry but I can't accept at this time. My pokemon are grounded. No fighting unless it's against a wild pokemon that won't let us pass. They need to learn that they only get to fight other pokemon when they're supposed to.”

“But. . .”

“No. And that's final,” she said, more firmly than Ammit had thought her capable of. She was in even worst a mood than she'd previously assumed.

I'm sorry Lillie, I should have woken you up. I didn't they'd actually go through with it.

Oh! OH! I see a town gate! I think we're almost at Violet city! We just have to get through that tall grass and we're home free.

“Oh finally! We can stop at the pokemart for supplies. I only have an antidote left.”

“But miss,” the bug catcher insisted, running to catch up with her. “You have to accept a challenge from another trainer or you get a demerit on your trainer card.”

“A what now?”

Demerit you know? If you get too many, you can get restricted in your purchases at the local poke marts, restricted access to pokemon center you can even lose your license.”

“Fine. If you insist. Hermes, Venus, are you up to it?”

Against a bug catcher? Easy peasy. Between the two of us it shouldn't be a problem.

If you want me to I will Lillie! I'll do my best!

As far as first battle went, it wasn't too bad. Venus had no problem dispatching the two caterpies, taking only a few bumps, according to the pokedex, she was still at more than 90% of her full health. And then the weedle was sent out. Venus missed. The weedle didn't.

[Critical Damage Taken, Pokemon Venus was poisoned. Recommend switching to a different pokemon or using an antidote. Venus health at 40%] The pokedex chimmed.

“Oh that's no good. Hermes, get in there and peck it. I think that's super effective right?”

Hermes did as he was told and almost managed to take down the weedle in one blow. Almost. The weedle managed to get one more poison sting in.

[Pokemon Hermes was poisoned. Recommend switching to a different pokemon or using an antidote. Hermes Health at 60%]

Lillie hesitated. On the one hand, she had intended to stick to her guns and let neither Ammit or Shinatobe fight, but she didn't want to risk her pokemon's health any more than she had to. She recalled Hermes and sent out her butterfree. A part of her, burrried underneath the leftover fear at what might have happened, was thrilled that Shinatobe had evolved so quickly, but it would be sometimes before she let it show.

“Confusion, Shinatobe.”

Still subdued, the butterfree dodged the strings spewed at her and finished off the opposing pokemon and the caterpie after that.

“There. You had your match. Can I go now?”

Huh, Lil I don't mean to rush you but, shouldn't we rush to the pokemon center? Both Hermes and Venus are poisoned.

“Yes, I know,” she replied, walking carefully to avoid rustling the grass too much and getting more wild pokemon riled up. “We'll get there when we get there.”

But Lillie, they're poisoned. That's the worst status there is. If we don't hurry they could die.

“Don't be silly, Ammit. Pokeballs have safeguards built into them to prevent that kind of things. They filter out poison and -”

What? No they don't. Pokeballs is just a way to capture and carry your pokemon. Lillie, we have to hurry before it's too -

*BZZZT*[Status Update, Pokemon Venus deceased due to untreated poisoning. Pokemon Hermes in critical condition. Hermes health 8%]

“What? That. . that can't be right. Venus can't be. . .It means she's fainted, a trip to the pokemon will set her right. It has to. Right?”

Oh Arceus Lillie, I . . . we need to use that antidote on Hermes right away while there's still time. Oh Venus I'm so sorry.

Lillie fell to her knees, releasing both Hermes and Venus from their balls. Hermes was whimpering in pain and shivering while Venus was just unmoving. Mechanically, Lillie reached into her bag for her last reminding antidote. Her vision blurred as she applied it to the poor Hermes. Slowly she picked up the body of her rattata and held it against her as a great big sob wrench its way free of her chest as she cradled her fallen pokemon. She wasn't sure how she made it to the pokemon center, she thought maybe Ammit had guided her there. All she knew was that Venus was dead because she was a lousy trainer. Because once again she had made assumption that this world was the same as the one she'd left behind. But it wasn't and that difference had cost her a friend's life, a death easily prevented.

Okay - I don't know what it keeps doing that and it's getting irritating so I'll leave it as is. Tried to fix it for a while. Didn't work. Minor inconvenience but you know, it's inconvenient.

Fennec

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
Three days. She stayed holed up in the pokemon center for three days, alternating between sobbing and feeling absolutely nothing, barely eating, talking no one. It was her fault that Venus died. How many times had she been shown that was she knew, what she was used to was not true in this distant region in the past? She'd assumed that pokeballs were the same, had always been the same, with multiple fail-safes to prevent the death of pokemon. Now she knew better, and all it had cost her was a friend, someone who'd depended on her to keep her safe. The end of the world had been awful, true, she had died for Arceus' sake, but she had been sheltered from it. There wasn't anything she could do to help and until the lab was destroyed in an attack, all she'd had were reports of what was going up, of the dwindling human resistance, the fall of Hoenn, then Sinnoh, she hadn't known what happened next. She had been too busy dying.

Somehow, this was worse, it had left a gaping hole in her heart that wasn't being numbed by terror and pain. Who did she think she was, thinking she could help in saving the world? She was always the victim, always the one needing saving, here only because she had been lucky enough to make a wish at the right time. She might have hidden out in the pokemon center for longer, spiraling down in an abyss from which she couldn't escape if it hadn't been for Hermes. He was a very young spearow, more gentle than his kind normally was and all he knew what that his friend, his Lillie was hurting and it was his fault. Maybe if he'd dispatched the weedle, things would have been different. Now Lillie had lost a friend and she was really sad.

Shinatobe was at a loss. She had tried entertaining her trainer, had tried to cheer her up and had failed. She couldn't quite relate to what Lillie was going through. Ammit understood too well. She knew the whole story, or at least, what Lillie had related to her. At first she had thought her trainer slightly unbalanced, who wouldn't? Until they had rescued Hermes. After that, she should have sat down with her trainer and talked things over, find the differences between both then and now to help her. If Lillie hadn't been upset with her, she would have thought more clearly. But Ammit had been selfish, seeking her own entertainment and growth at the expense of anything else. Being a starter was a big honor, yes, but it was also a duty, one she had neglected.

And so, Hermes, the youngest of them all was the one who did something. It might not have been the smart thing to do, but in hindsight, it was exactly what Lillie and Ammit needed. He went looking for a new friend since she had lost one. He left in the morning, while everyone was either sleeping of staring at the ceiling. Ammit was the one that noticed first. The morning was quiet, too quiet. Hermes was a tiny bird, but he made a lot of noise in the morning. After looking everywhere for the flying type, she realized that Hermes had taken off. The totodile never for one moment believed he'd abandoned Lillie, he clearly loved her.

Lillie, Hermes is gone.

“Go away,” she said, not having paid attention to what she said and wanting still to be left alone.

Lillie, this is important, Hermes is – Oh I see, hiding your head under the pillow. That's gonna help.

Unsure on how to get her trainer's attention, she looked around for help and her eyes fell on Shinatobe. An idea. . A really bad one occurred to her and she approached the butterfree.

Hey, Shina, best buddy. I need your help to get Lillie's attention. . .

The bug's eyes narrowed in suspicion, remembering Ammit's last idea. Granted, she'd been more than willing but she wasn't about to let herself be dragged into something terrible.

And what exactly is this great idea of yours? Something else to get us in even more trouble?

Well, maybe,
the starter admitted. But Hermes is gone and Lillie isn't listening to me. Not that I blame her. But she needs to listen. How much control do you have on your head exploding powers?

Head exploding? To refer to my
flawless ability with the psychic type in such a way is rude! But yes, I'm pretty good at it. Why?

Good as in, I'm good at it because I'm the one doing it or as in, I can emit a psychic screech that won't cause permanent brain damage but will definitely get Lillie's attention good?

Shinatobe opened her mouth to say that of course she could, but snapped shut.

Hermes is missing? I like the little one, he is not bad for a bird. Yes. I think I can do this psychic screech thing that you require without causing harm. However I . . . huh. . . It is not something that is subtle. If I do not want to cause Lillie damage, I need to. . . I am not good enough. I can either do it only so Lillie hears, but it will hurt, maybe even knock her out cold, or I can dilute the effect, but it will not be pleasant for. . . well anyone within range.

Define. . . range. . .

Who knows how far the range of such a mighty butterfree is? But everyone in the center will hear it, certainly. Maybe further.

Alright. Do it. I'll take the heat.

It's hard to explain how it sounded. It bypassed the ear canal and burrowed itself in the brain. It was high pitch, screechy and a sound Ammit hope never to hear again, and this was the diluted version. On the plus side, it did what it was meant to do and Lillie jumped out of bed and she knew exactly the cause.

“Shina, is everything alright? Are you hurt?”

She's not hurt Lillie, and I'm sorry for that, but we need to find Hermes, he's been missing and you weren't responding and I'm sorry. If you need to ground someone, ground me, it was my idea, I'm just worried about Hermes, he's too little to be out on his own.

“Hermes is missing?” she asked, feeling the stomach drop. “We have to find him! Let's go!”

And she was out of the pokemon center in a rush, her two pokemon following close behind. Eventually someone mentioned that they had indeed seen a young spearow headed towards the tower. Lillie didn't need to be told twice and she ran as she never ran before.

“HERMES!” she screamed, calling to her pokemon the moment she was inside. When she got no answer, she kept running, deeper and higher in the tower until she reached the summit, fear propelling her faster than she had ever gone before. She heard the outrage screech of her young bird and kept going. Hermes was under siege, dodging bellsprout and a hoothoot.

“Shina, confuse the bellsprouts! Ammit, let that Hoothoot feel your rage,” she ordered without second-guessing herself for the first time, and they obeyed with extreme prejudice, knocking down their target practically in one hit.

Upon hearing her voice, Hermes called out in glee and made a beeline for her, almost knocking her off her feet with the impact. He whimpered apologies after apologies in her chest, trembling.

“Is this your spearow young lady?” a voice heavy with age asked.

Looking up, she saw an old man, no, ancient, making his way towards her slow step after slow step, as if he had all the time in the world. Three younger man, walked before him, one of them sporting scratches on his arms, clearly ready to defend him.

“He is! Why were you attacking him?” she demanded, fear quickly making way for anger. “He's barely more than a baby. You could have hurt him.”

The old man looked at her for a moment and understanding lit his eyes.

“My apology, I am the Elder of this place. Our goal was simply to restrain him until his trainer could be found or to release him outside the tower if he was wild. Young he might be, but he is hardly defenseless. He tore through my acolyte's pokemon like they were barely there. He was a pokemon on a mission.”

Sorry. I'm sorry. I was just trying to find a new friend for Lillie Lillie is sad because Venus is gone. So I thought maybe a new friend might make her not sad anymore. I did bad? I did. I'm sorry Lillie, please don't be mad.

“Oh, Hermes. There's nothing to be sorry about. I've been an awful trainer. Even worse than usual.”

“I see, Lillie was it? You seemed to have a very strong bond with your pokemon. Why don't you come with me,” he asked kindly. “There is much we could discuss, or I can just listen if that is what you prefer.”

Her eyes filled with tears, the anger draining from her, Lillie almost turned him down and retreated back inside herself. Only Hermes small feathery body in her arms, the fact that she'd neglected him and the others so badly made her accept the invitation. It was time to stop morning the loss of her friend so badly that she was useless and begin focusing on her living one.

“Alright Elder, I can stay for a little while.”

“Excellent. Your pokemon are of course, welcome as well. I do believe I still have a tea they may be partial to.”

Fennec

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
Hi! A bit of writer's block/hating what I'm writing as I know what I want to happen, just words are hard right now. So instead have a lore page!

I could bore you with the usual pokemon centers are hostels for trainers or gym leaders are also town part of the town leadership. Actually I could bore you with a lot of stuff about Gym leaders, one of those things being how the team you face is dependent on how many badges you have. Instead, I'm going to touch on something else.

Pokemon Professors

Pokemon Professors are usually the lead expert in the pokemon field in their respective regions. They are highly respected (usually) and tend to be, as a result of their research, some of the toughest trainers around, even though they aren't technically suppose to battle other trainers. They are also (trained or amateur) psychologist and trained biologists (of some kind). They also have many responsibilities. Chief amongst is the evaluation of potential of prospective Champions, as a Champion is usually the defacto ruler of their respective regions. Should someone make it to the elite four and defeat them and the Champion, the Professors have the ability to strip a Champion of his title if he is unsuitable, though this rarely happens as they need to have good reasons and they must also have someone to step up to the plate. When a Champion abdicates, as it tends to happen sometimes, it is up to the Professor to find a suitable replacement.

Another aspect of their job is to ensure the proper breeding of starter pokemon for aspiring trainers and proper handling of said starters. They also have the right to veto the issuance of a trainer's license to someone who wants to become a professional pokemon trainer (those who would be issued a license basically) for any length of time and can revoke said license if they have grounds to do so.

They also happen to be one of the very few profession that can understand pokemon as they have studied the creatures for many years and love them. Some say that all the current Professors could understand the pokemon before they started studying them and was in fact the reason they did so.

A Pokemon Professor also acts as an adviser to the champion, especially the ones who get the position at a younger age. They also keep track of reports from gym leaders and other influential licensed trainers in the area. It's not wonder then that they need assistants.

Fennec

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
A little bit turned out to be significantly than she had anticipated. The elder, she never did find his name, radiated peace and kindness that seem to envelop her. Without meaning to, with his gentle probing and understanding gaze, he got her entire story out of her and even the bits that sounded crazy to her, and she'd lived through it. He didn't judge, didn't accuse her of lying. When she was done, he let out a gentle sigh.

“I would offer you Ho-oh's blessing child, but I think you might have had enough of legendary pokemon for a while. To think they would pin their hopes on a ch ild like you, hmm. I see that you care very much for your pokemon, more than a lot of trainer and it might be what is needed to stop what is to come. But they could have given you more time to prepare, powerful those three might be, but being divine does not stop them from being short-sighted.”

“I'm sure they did what they though was best,” Lillie apologized on their behalf. “They did have a lot on their mind...”

“Child – Lillie. Celebi has the ability to travel in time, with the added power of Jirachi and Mew, she could easily have given you more time. They are as children amongst the legendaries. I will speak most sternly with Celebi when I see her next and ask that she passes the message along. Now. I'm sure that you have some questions to ask of me before we begin your training. Ask them and I will answer to the best of my abilities.”

“Oh . . . Training? I. . . I don't know if I need training. I have a pokedex,” she said, holding it up for inspection and the Elder smiled.

“Indeed Child. But there are many things you need to learn. Things I suspect Professor Oak didn't think about. He probably didn't realize how little you knew. The pokedex is a tool, child, not a magical device that will give you the skill you need. If you mean to reach Red, you will have to take on the league challenge as Lance is the last person who has seen him in recent memory. It is the best way to reach him, and as you are, there is no way you will get past Whitney, if you make it that far.”

“Oh. . But, isn't time of the essence?”

You'll have all the time you'll need Lillie, said Celebi's voice in her mind. And tell the Elder that just because he's wise and all that, that doesn't mean he should make a habit of scolding Legendaries. Not all of them are as understanding as we are. . . especially when he's right. And don't think we can do this over and over. This is a one time deal, and only because My Lord okayed it. He knows what's coming and … Mastery over time itself doesn't matter if your boss won't listen to your warning now does it?

“How. . . Did you speak to her already?”

“By her, I assume you mean Celebi? I haven't. But she is a time traveler, remember? For her coming here before we've talked is not an issue.”

“Ah. I guess that makes sense. She said I'd have all the time I needed to learn what you have to teach me.”

“Very good child. Now did you have any other questions?”

“Yes! I thought that being able to understand pokemon was a very rare gift. And yet, I've met two people in as many days who can do it, and then there's me.”

“Oh, you mean Samuel and I? When I was a young boy, I was rescued by Celebi and it altered me. I believe that the good Professor had a similar encounter with Mew in his youth, though he has spent decades dedicating himself to pokemon. There are others, almost all of them having interacted with a Legendary that can understand pokemon. Others have done so with their own because of the bond they share. Still others have achieved it through other means. I know of three other people in this region who can speak to pokemon. Of those three, I believe that whatever it is that Celebii, Mew and Jirachi have done to make you fit in, only one, maybe two will see through it.”

“Oh okay. Huh. . . I have another question. If that's alright.”

“Then ask.”

“I know that this body isn't real, that it was fabricated by the legendar-”

“I think I know what you are about to ask. The body is very real, and very human. From my understanding, the world prepared was a bit of an exaggeration. Let's say that divine intervention enable this body to live, and it was animated by another drawing on your memories to figure out how to act. Once you took possession, he went back to doing whatever he was doing before. It's only a guess mind you.”

“I see. Then I think I'm ready to begin my training. . . I think.”

“Tomorrow child, it is getting late and your pokemon are already asleep.”

“Tomorrow is *yawn* good too. What time should I be here?”

“Oh, child, don't worry. Quarters have been prepared for you. Simply get a good night's rest. When you are ready tomorrow, find one of my disciple and they will take you to me, until tomorrow child.”

Sorry for the delay.

Fennec

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
The training was nothing like Lillie had anticipated. She had expected on being school on how to be a better trainer in terms of combat, and there was some of that, and on the various items that could be used, and again, she wasn't wrong on that count. But it wasn't the biggest part of what she learned.

“Fear,” one of the monk told her one day. “Holds you back terribly. You're afraid of making a mistake. Scared that your pokemon will get hurt in battle and so you shy away. Even though you're a licensed trainer, you would rather avoid fighting than let your pokemon grow. How then will you proceed on your journey?”

Hey, baldie. You watch how you talk to my trainer and where you point that finger or you'll have to answer to me, Ammit growled, stuck in the lessons with Lillie.

“If you cannot keep your totodile quiet, I will ask that she is put in her pokeball for the duration. As I was saying. You are afraid, and it is a massive obstacle for you.”

“I. . . I don't mean to be so scared. I'll try to do better, to never be afraid again...”

“No. You are missing the point Fear in itself is not a bad thing. It allows us to survive, makes us prudent when otherwise you would be reckless. What you need to learn is how to overcome that fear and use it rather than let it control you. You need to accept the fear and make it a part of you.”

Uh-huh. Like when you saved me when I was fighting all the 'elsprouts and that hoothoot. You were scared for me but you channeled it into saving me rather than freeze. Oh. He's still talking. I'm sorry.

Little Hermes, you didn't need saving. In fact, it is almost safe to say that we saved them from you! It is good to know that my power and skills have rubbed off on you.

“So. . . a little fear is okay, but too much is bad?” she asked, silencing her pokemon with a look. “But what if I make a mistake?”

“Then you are human,” the monk replied with a slight softening of his stern face. “Mistakes happen. There is no shame in that. The only shame is in not learning from it.”

“But . . . . but what if a mistakes gets someone . . . what if someone dies again. . .” she asked her voice dropping to a whisper.

“Death is a natural part of life. You mourn your losses and then you move on. Again. Letting overwhelm you will only make things worse in the end. Honor their lives, to not dwell on their passing.”

He was full of lessons that way and he did soften up on her. Another monk chose to focus on a different aspect of her training.

“Your bond with your pokemon, it is incredibly strong, Lillie,” he said. “Many trainers have never forge those bonds half as strongly as you've done in this short amount of time. Use those bounds. Your pokemon trust you, prove yourself worthy of that trust.”

“I just don't like seeing them hurt,” she'd replied, having gained a bit of confidence and he was much easier to talk to than his peer.

“Than make them stronger. Take the time you need in area where it's safe to train them and let them become stronger in a relatively safe place. The stronger they are, the stronger your bonds will be and the harder it will be to hurt them. Growth hurt, Lillie, but much less than the pain of loss, wouldn't you agree?”

Pfft. We're plenty strong on our own. Though, it'd be neat to evolve one day.

Evolution IS pretty amazing. Of course I, being so amazing, have reached the pinacle of evolution much faster. But you will also get there in time!

And so the training went and she could tell that it changed her. So many different lessons to learn, so many different things to keep track of, but she knew that she would be stronger for it. She lost track of the days, and was only grateful that Celebi was doing. . . whatever it was she was doing to take care of it.

“Alright guys,” she said to them, several days and after many hours of training. “I think we're ready, for this.

Yeah, sure little lady, Charles, her newest catch said. Falkner won't be much of a problem with me on your team. I'll make it as quick as I can. Hate to see the little bugger suffers.

She looked at the geodude she'd captured in the dark cave as part of her training. Her stern teacher had sent them to retrieve something he said was very valuable. They'd gotten lost very quickly and couldn't find the exit until Charles had come along and offered to help. He knew these caves like the back of his hand and was ready to go out in the world for a while.

We got this Lillie. We've trained and trained and trained. The local pokemon population won't even come out when we're around anymore, not that I blame them.

“Right. Of course. I'm just over thinking this right? Just because we've only ever been in one trainer battle doesn't mean we can't do this, right?”

Lillie! We have grown even more powerful, hard as it is to believe in my case but still true. And you are honing your skill. Besides, you currently have no badge so we will be facing his weakest team. As Ammit said, we got this.

“Alright. You guys are right,” she said looking at the entrance to the gym. “We got this.”

And in she stepped.

“Finally,” said a voice from above. “You've been standing in front of the gym door for at least twenty minutes. Are you coming to challenge me?”

“I. . . Yes. I am.”

Falkner grinned and jumped down, landing on his feet lithely. He pointed a remote at the door and she heard the door lock behind her.

“Alright then, I don't see an electric type with you, so this shouldn't be too hard. Go pidgey.”

“Hermes, you want to take this one?”

Oh. Me? Sure! I won't let you down Lillie! I hope.

“Hermes, use peck!”

“Pidgey, use tackle!”

The battle between the two birds was almost before it began. The pidgey missed Hermes by a mile offering its back for a retaliatory peck that sent him crashing to the ground. The trainer winced in sympathy before Falkner recalled him.

“Not bad. Your spearow's power is impressive for one so young. Or is he just small?”

“A little bit of both I think,” she replied, flattered on her pokemon's behalf. “He did pretty good on his own in Bellsprout's tower too.”

“Oh. It's that spearow. Well, better send out my ace then.”

“Go ahead,” she replied, motioning for Hermes to come back. “But he won't be fighting Hermes Charles, if you would?”

Charles hovered forward as Hermes landed gently on Lillie's shoulder.

Did I do good? Are you happy?

“You did great buddy. I'm proud of you. Even the gym leader thinks you're pretty good, and he'd know seeing as he uses bird pokemon.”

Her spearow preened under the compliment while Falkner looked at the Geodude as if seeing him for the first time.

“You have a Geodude,” he said slightly deflated. “Well, Pidgeotto, use mud slap.”

“Charles, rock throw!”

The result this time was different. Charles took a face full of mud and missed by a mile. He tried again with the same result and was starting to wobble in the air.

“Charles! You can do it!” she encouraged, her heart in her mouth.

The bird is above you, slightly to your right!

Thanks little buddy,
he replied, before tossing another stone.

This one found it's mark, hitting the bird right between the eyes. The bird erked in middair and dropped like a stone, being recalled just before it hit the ground.

“Not bad, challenger. You did good, kept your head and encouraged your pokemon instead of berating them.”

“Why would I berate them?” Lillie asked incredulously. “They did their best and I didn't lose anybody. Charles had a bit of a rough start, for sure, but I don't think anyone would do any better with mud in their eyes, you know? And your pidgeotto was fast.”

“You'd be surprised how many beginner trainers berate their pokemon just because they miss or get confused. It's nice to see someone bonding with their team as well as you have, and it's my honor to give you the Zephyr badge. Congratulations Lillie, you've cleared your first obstacle towards the Championship. It won't get any easier from here on out, but I have a feeling you'll do just fine.”

Fennec

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
After defeating Falkner, they decided to take it easy for a few days, taking their time going down to Union cave. The training she'd received in Bellsprout Tower, though unorthodox, had helped her and her pokemon in ways they didn't fully comprehend yet. Ammit was still as eager to fight as ever, but she seemed more concerned with Lillie's welfare than her own enjoyment. Hermes was still Hermes, speaking quietly and not relinquishing his perch on Lillie's shoulder. He was no longer so timid when it came to fighting however. Shinatobe seemed to be the least change of all her friends. She was still as boastful as before, but there was a hint of humor where there had been none before, and she was, in her own way, much more supportive than she had been before. Charles . . . was the same. She had befriended him and he had joined her on her quest, but he didn't seem to enjoy fighting, seeing it, at most, as a means to an end, to get him from dark cave to elsewhere. He was pretty laid back and always pitched in when needed. She even managed her first real pokemon capture on the way, thanks to Shinatobe, a bellsprout named Beau who seemed more interested in being admired than in fighting. It was fine, she had no intention of forcing anyone to fight unless they wanted to. He was the quiet type and had barely said anything in the three days since he'd joined them on their adventure. So far, everything had been easy and fairly quiet.

“Alright team. We're almost at Union Cave. According to this map, there should be a pokemon center just before we get in and Azela should be on the other side.”

If we don't get lost, Ammit snickered.

“Hey now! I haven't gotten lost in a few days! Not since we left Violet City. I think I'm getting better at this traveling thing!”

Uh-huh. You're pretty good at it Lillie! Hermes chirped.

The fact that there was only one way to go probably has nothing to do with our progress anyways. You're right Lillie, you're getting better at this.

“Okay. That's enough out of you,” she replied with a smile. “I wonder how hard the cave will be? It's suppose to be one of two ways into the next town right? Wonder if we'll make any new frien-”

“Well hello there young lady!” a man called. “Don't I have a great deal for you!”

Lillie looked up from her conversation with her pokemon to see an oddly dressed man standing a few feet away from what could only be the pokemon center. Something about him made her uneasy. Maybe it was the trench-coat. Maybe it was the stained cooler standing next to him. Quite possibly the complete lack of any human kindness in his eyes. Sensing her unease, Ammit stepped between her trainer and the 'vendor', showing more teeth than was strictly necessary, a growl rumbling in her chest.

“Oh – Uh. No thank you. I've spent all of my money in Violet city. I couldn't buy anything right now and -”

“Young lady, this is a once in a life-time opportunity! I got some very fresh slowpoke tails for sale for only -”

“Like I said, sir,” she began, feeling Shinatobe hovering near and gaining confidence from her pokemon. “I don't have any money at the moment, and I'm not about to buy some pastries from someone in the street. Now if you'll excuse me, I have things to do.”

She walked past him, head held high, and made her way into the pokemon center.

Wow Lillie. I didn't know you had it in you. Stepping up to him like that and telling him – and now you're shaking. Still. That was pretty awesome.

“I didn't like him very much at all. There was something off about him. Like anyone would buy pastries from a shady character like him.”

Pastries? I thought he said something about slowpoke tails.

“Well, yeah. That's the name of a pastry back in Alola. Kind of like bouffalant wings you know? What kind of sicko would actually cut off slowpoke tails and sell them? It's illegal in all the regions right?”

I hope you're right little lady. Some people will do anything for a pokebuck and slowpoke tails are suppose to be both delicious and open your mind.

“Well, if you were going to sell illegal mind altering snacks, you wouldn't just do it out in the open like that, would you? You'd have to be a special kind of dumb.”

Oh. Right. Good point. Still. Feel like it was a good cal anyways.

ANYWAYS,
Ammit interrupted. Not to change the subject to something less creepy, but maybe we should get in an early night if we're going to tackle Union Cave tomorrow, shouldn't we?

“Good point. Let's get some well deserve rest, you guys did awesome today, but then you always do.”

The night passed without incident, and they all woke up without incidents. When they left the pokemon center the next morning, the creepy salesman had moved on and Lillie was glad of it. It was only a short walk to the entrance to union cave, and Lillie was getting a little nervous.

Don't worry Little Lady. I'm at home anywhere, but caves are like, more so you know? I'll get you through it.

“Oh. It's just, this is a rather large mountain isn't it? I just wonder how extensive the cave network is. That's all. Caves were never really my thing. Well. The day isn't getting any younger so we might as well proceed, right?”

And on they went. They fought a couple of trainers, but the place seemed oddly empty

“You know,” Lillie said. “Back home, caves are usually filled with zubat. Are they not native to Jotho?”

Zubats are native to everywhere. It's just day out so maybe they're sleeping?

Or something scared them off. Can't you feel the vibe in here?Real bad. Maybe we should go or something.

Hsssssssssss. Go away. I don't want to fight for you rock people anymore.

“Did you guys here that?”

It sounded like it came from over there, here. Allow me to investigate!

A few moments later, the butterfree had flushed out a small pokemon who'd clearly seen better days and Lillie knelt in front of him. She recognized the breed, though it was different from back home.

“Wait, isn't that a sandshrew? Are they supposed to be that thin?”

No, growled her starter. Something has been mistreating this little guy for a while.. Shhhhh. It's okay. We're not going to hurt you! We're friends. I'm Ammit and this is Lillie. She's the nicest human you'll ever meet.

You're not with the rock people? They are mean. They stole me from my home years ago. The rock people are bad, but I manage to escape in this cave. You're sure you're not with the rock people?

“I don't know who those rock people are,” Lillie said, a touch of steel in her voice. “But I won't let them hurt you. Do you want some food? I have plenty to share. What's your name little sandshrew?”

Reaching slowly in her bag, she pulled out a handful of berries. The little sandshrew stepped closer until it was right next to Lillie and eating the berries one by one.

Ooooh. I haven't had berries in a long time. Thank you. Thank you. I. . .I don't remember my name. The rock people only called me useless sand rat and I was very little when they took me away.

“Well. In that case, I'm going to call you Sammy. You remind me of someone I use to know. Did you want to come with us? I always haven plenty of food, and if you like, you can place you somewhere the rock people will never find you. Does that sound good?”

Sammy. . . I like Sammy. Sammy is a good name. I'll come with you and the nice blue one and the butterfree. You sure you won't let the rock people get me again?

“I will do my very best. I promise.”

In that case, I'm going to help you and protect you! Do you have more berries? I'm still hungry.

So I've been wondering. Should I have chapter titles? I've been debating for a while but still kinda fifty fifty on the whole thing.

Fennec

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
Sorry for the delay! I got sucked into re-reading the entirety of the Manic saga, and well, lost track of things. But back on the rapidash now right? Enjoy chapter 10!

In an interrogation chamber, in the Azela Town police station.
“Alright,” the officer said, looking at his notes, “Kurt, was it? Can you tell us again what happened?”

“What happened is that you idiots are tormenting a poor girl for no reason,” he snarled. “Are you mad because she did your job for you? Is that it?”

“Sir, I'll ask you to calm down. Trainers are responsible for the actions of their pokemon. Trainer pokemon attacking another trainer is against the law, except in rare cases when -”

“That pokemon saved her life and you know it. That was Team Rocket down there and you know it. They're criminals and terrorists. You want to know what happened? She save the town and the slowpokes from those monsters because no one else was doing a damn thing.”

In a different interrogation chamber, Azela Town police station

Lillie hadn't said a word since they'd arrived, since the well, in fact, no matter how many times they tried to get her to talk. She simply sat on the chair, staring vacantly ahead of her, willfully ignoring the cop who was trying to get her to talk for the last hour.

“Now, young lady. This is going to be much easier if you cooperate with us. We just need a statement from you. This might be the only chance you get to defend your action. The judge will be more likely to be lenient if you confess now.”

The door opened at this point and a police officer with a put upon look on his face walked in, followed by a young woman with blue hair and a very angry expression on her face. Her outfit identified her as a dragon-tamer and the interrogator swallowed.

“Ah, Miss Blackthorn. To what do we owe the . . . pleasure,” he asked.

“I don't think there's any pleasure here, officer. What is the meaning of this? You realized that you're interrogating a minor without parental approval and no legal counsel? When my cousin asked me to investigate the rumors in Azela, I didn't think this is what I would find.”

“She's a registered trainer, ma'am,” he blurted out as if he'd been expecting something like this and couldn't hold it in. “As such, she is considered an adult in the eyes of the law.”

His voice grew firmer as he spoke, certain he had put the toughest gym leader in her place, something many people longed to do. Instead, she smiled and he had a feeling that he'd messed up, something many people were prone to do when confronted by a Blackthorn trainer.

“A registered trainer you say?” she asked, turning her eyes on the young trainer. “What's your name girl?”

Lillie blinked at the question. There was an authority in that voice that she didn't dare challenge. She had a hunch that this would be a very bad idea.

“Lillie, Miss Blackthorn,” she replied quietly. “From New Bark town.”

“The one with the totodile? What. No need to look so shock. Professor Elm is in contact with the gym leaders. He has to be. Ah. You didn't know I was a gym leader, did you?”

“No Miss Blackthorn. I didn't.”

“Well, Blackthorn is a bit out of the way and is the last gym. I wouldn't expect news of my ascension to the role to have spread yet. Now. Can you tell me what happened?”

Involuntarily, her eyes flickered to her interrogator, and then down to her feet. She didn't know how to phrase things without getting Ammit in more trouble than she was. Now that it was over and in the past, the horror of what had happened was behind her.

“Oh, those bozos? Don't worry about them. They have no power to do anything to you now that I'm here. As a registered training, any misconduct on your part, or the part of your pokemon falls under League jurisdiction, no matter how severe.”

“What! You can't just come in here and -”

“I can. And have. The police force in Jotho is a joke, constantly trying to butt in where you're not allowed. You stick to human crimes, as a league representative, I'll handle this. Speaking of, why isn't Bugsy handling this?”

“Bugsy? That fruit-cake? What would he know about-”

“That fruit-cake, as you call him, is the league appointed representative in this town and I'd watch how I talk about him if I were you. He got the job for a good reason. Now, don't make me ask again.”

The other cop, the one who'd led her in here, sighed.

“He's in Ilex forest and has been for the past month. Research trip. He said he wasn't to be disturbed unless he was needed in an official capacity.”

“Arceus saves me from incompetence. Call him now, tell him I said he needs to get his ass here in a hurry. Now, I'm taking custody of this trainer and her pokemon. Is that understood?”

“Err... yes ma'am. We'll take care of it right away.”

Just like that, Lillie was escorted out by the gym leader. Clair for her part didn't mind the dirty looks the cops were giving her. After they left, the would be interogator snarled and cursed and turned towards his partner.

“Archer is going to be pissed about this. . .”

Sometime later, as they were getting settled in one of the pokemon center suites, the young trainer found her courage.

“Miss Blackthorn?” Lillie began.

“Clair,” she interrupted. “My friends call me Clair and I've got a feeling you'll be using it.”

“Right. I'm sorry Miss – Clair. I just wanted to know. Why are you helping me?”

“Oh. That's easy. Kurt, he's an old friend, called my cousin and explained some of what happened. Lance was busy so I came instead.”

“Kurt? He's alright then? Last I saw him he'd hurt himself slipping down the ladder in the well.”

“Kurt is a tough cookie. It'll take more than a fall to slow him down for long. Now Lillie. I need you to tell me what happened, I'm going to need to file a report and say it was handled. So the sooner this is handled, the faster I can give you your pokeballs back.”

“A-alright. It started shortly after we left Union Cave. Sammy recognized the man guarding the -”

“Sammy? There was someone else present?”

“My sandshrew. He's a sweatheart.”

“Ah. Continue then.”

“Sammy recognized the man as someone that had hurt him in the past and -”

“And that's when your toto- no croconaw now isn't it That's when she attacked?”

“Oh no. We sneaked past him and went into town, straight to the police station. We told him what we thought was happening. I didn't know that the rock man were really members of Team Rocket. They said they'd handle it but. . . Sammy didn't trust him. So we went in town and asked around. Turns out, those rocket guys moved in about three weeks ago and have been making nuisance of themselves.”

“As they often do. It's alright, carry on,” she said, not unkindly.

“Well. About the time they showed up, it seemed like the slowpoke population started decreasing. It wasn't hard to add two and two together and yet no one was doing anything. So . . .we went back to the well. That's where I met Kurt. He was looking for his slowpoke. I told him what I thought had happened and, we headed down in the well. Only he slipped and hurt himself.”

“Okay. Why didn't you go and get the police? Or Bugsy. You're just a rookie trainer.”

“I-I thought about it. But then I remembered at the entrance of Union Cave there was a man selling slowpoke tails. At the time, I thought it was a pastry like in Alola but after everything I found out. . . I knew there were pokemon being hurt down there, I just knew it. I couldn't let them get hurt more than they had already been, and if I left to get help, they'd get more hurt.”

“I see. Alright. Continue with your story.”

“O-okay. We went down the tunnel and there was a bunch of them down there. They tried to stop us, but they're even worst at battling then I am, and I could tell their pokemon weren't trying all that hard to win. We thought we'd beaten them all. There were a lot of slowpokes with their tales hacked off and they're not very bright. I tried to patch them up as best I could. That's when the last of them, their leader I think attacked me. H-he had a knife and . . .”

“I see. He tried to kill you and your totodile saved you, evolving in the process. Is that right?”

“Y-yes. I never saw a pokemon do that before. Ammit was so angry. She attacked him and it took me a moment.”

“That's when you recalled her to her pokeball?”

“What? No. I told her to stop, and she did. I . . . I didn't handle things right after. I cringed away from her when she came back to me and I hurt her feelings.”

“Pardon me, but did you say you told her to stop and she just did?”

“Yes.”

“A croconaw, in a blood rage and she just stopped.”

“She did. Why? What's so surprising about that?”

“Kid. When the Professor told us someone had picked totodile as their starter, you were not what I pictured. Not a lot of people have what it takes to control them. They're dangerous, man killers and they get into rages that don't end until what caused that rage is in tiny pieces. Yet, that Team Rocket is alive and will make a full recovery. Well, mostly anyways. Because you told your pokemon to stop and she did.”

“Oh.”

“Well, as far as I'm concerned, what your pokemon did was perfectly acceptable. She acted to defend her trainer and stop before she caused what we'll call excessive damage. Now, if you don't mind my asking, what's your next step?”

“Apologize to Ammit, of course. Then I guess wait until Bugsy gets back and challenge him.”

“Hmm. Alright then. Guess you're still doing the league challenge then?”

“I guess so.”

“You know, it's been a long night but I'd expect a bit more enthusiasm. The League isn't your goal, is it? Just a means to an end.”

“I. . . . huh. . .”

“Don't worry kid. You're allowed your mystery. I'll be looking forward to facing you when you get to Blackthorn. Speaking of, now that the situation is resolved I can go back home. And I barely get to do anything.”

“Oh. Okay. Well thank you very much for your help Miss- Clair. I huh, I'll try to stay out of trouble in the future.”

“You know, I believe it. Take care of yourself trainer. I'll be seeing you.”

Fennec

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
So. . . This Bugsy dude, he uses bug type yeah?” her Geodude asked her the next morning.

“He does Charles. But I have something else to do first, something I would have done last night if I wasn't such a coward,” she said, reaching for her starter's pokeball. “Ammit, come out.”

The light materialized into her starter, curled in a ball, trying to make herself as small as possible, not that it was helping as she'd almost triple in size on evolving. Hermes left his customary perch on Lily's shoulder and landed on one of the red ridges as the trainer got closer. She sat as close to her pokemon as she could without using her as a seat and rested her head on her scaly shoulder.

“I,” she began. “Am the world's worst trainer,” she said, ending with a sigh. “I don't know what I was expecting, thinking I could make a difference, thinking I could be like Hau or Sun. They wouldn't have been scared of you yesterday. I know you'd never hurt me.”

Under her the bulk shifted, losing some of it's tension.

“It's my fault you had to evolve before you were ready. I was careless. I was just so angry at what they were doing to those poor slowpoke I didn't pay attention and we got ambushed. You got in trouble because of me and that's not fair.”

Again, the croconaw shifted, this time rolling to look at her trainer, who didn't notice.

“I'm sorry. I really shouldn't be here, in this place. You deserve a trainer who won't let you get hurt. If you want to go back to Professor Elm, I understand. I know that-” she was stopped by a scaly claw on her lip, the universal shush symbol.

Who would watch your back if I went back to that nerd, she asked with just a hint of humor. I'm your starter, do you know what that means? To a pokemon? It means I watch your back. I protect you, no matter what. I wasn't as on the ball as I should have been. But that won't happen again. I guarantee it.

“Oh Ammit,” the trainer said. “It wasn't your fault. I'm the trainer I should-”

It was the rock people's fault, the sandshrew hissed. They're bad people. The worst. Ammit is good. Miss Lillie is good. We're all good. No more feeling bad inside because the bad people are bad and we're not. Okay? I don't like it when friends are sad.

Besides. He hid from me. ME! He was obviously employing some advanced stealth techniques. And it is better for Ammit to have done what she did. Had she not, I would have exploded his head at the speed of thought! Daring to attack the trainer of the greatest butterfree who's ever flown? I think not. He got off easy.

So. . . .hmm . . . everyone is chill now? Can we talk about-

I'm not Chill, nu-huh. I'm Hermes. And that's Sammy and Ammit and Lillie and you're Charles.

. . . Right. Anyways. Little lady. I wanted to say, after the bug guy, I'd like to stay with Kurt for a bit. I heard that he makes like, all natural pokeballs and stuff. I'd like to learn that. More fun than fighting.

“Charles. If you really don't like fighting, I'm not going to force you. We're friends, right? If Kurt wants to teach you, I can got check right now.”

But the gym... Like, I can help one more time.

“Of course you can, but do you honestly want to?” she asked.

Well. . . .No. I'm not much for busting heads. You gonna be okay without me?

Uh-huh. Lillie is super smart! I'm sure she's got the best plan ever to counter Bugsy!

The geodude looked at the spearow, than slowly smiled.

Alright then. Whenever you want little lady, I'm good to go

Kurt was more than happy to take on the geodude as an apprentice, especially as it would be doing Lillie a favor. She was sad to see him go, but knew that he'd be much happier with the ball maker. She had to retreat hastily though as she wasn't certain how to handle his praise of her character.

Oh Lillie, if only we had more young heroes like you, the world would be a much safer place. Such talent! Such grace under pressure! I didn't think anyone -

“I think that's quite enough,” she replied with a shy smile. “Now. What do you guys say we got take out Bugsy? I got plenty of potions and antidotes. We should be fine. He's got three pokemon right? So that means I should only use three? Anyone wants to stay out of the upcoming gym battle?”

Huh. . . maybe I better stay out of it this time? Might be a bit unfair to have this much power against little bugs. Plus, I mean, you have Hermes and Shinatobe. I don't think you'll need either me or Sammy in that battle.

“Very true. But since you've volunteered to stay out of the fight, if I need an extra hand, Sammy is it.”

Oh! I'd be honored to fight for you Miss Lillie. I hope I can do you proud.

“I know you will. If not this time, then the next. I promise.”

It seemed like only moment later they were facing Bugsy, having defeated his trainers fairly easily. But then again, the gym trainers weren't usually in the same league as their leader.

“Ah, you must be Lillie. I was expecting you earlier,” he began. “It seems like I owe you my thanks for clearing up the infestation that was troubling the citizens of Azela. Clair told me what you did. Pretty gutsy for a beginner. Some people are calling you a hero.”

“Oh. I huh. They were hurting the pokemon,” she said shyly. “I couldn't just let them get away with it. Anyone would have done the same,”

“And yet no one else did. But this has nothing to do with why you're here. You understand I can't hold back even though you were a big help. Are you ready to face the true power of the bug type?”

“Oh. I think so. I huh. . .I'll do my best.”

“Kakuna, go.”

“Did you say Kakuna? Huh, Shinatobe, you go, start with confusion!”

“Ah. You have a butterfree. Well then, I can't honestly say that I was expecting that,” the bug expert said as he kakuna keeled over unconscious. “Metapod, your turn. Try to get a tackle in?”

“Oh that was a good hit. Shina, you're okay to continue?”

Lillie, I adore you, but did you really ask me if I needed to come back when I'm facing a metapod?

“Good point, use confusion again!”

The metapod was made of sterner stuff than his counterpart and remained standing after the hit. With a tsk Shinatobe hit it again, knocking it down before it could tackle her again.

“Not bad. Your butterfree is well trained. What do you think?”

“Shina's the best butterfree a girl could ask for. But, please don't take this the wrong way, shouldn't you maybe have pokemon that aren't cocoon?”

“Funny you should ask that. The thing is, each gym is suppose to teach you something, even if it's just a small lesson. You're facing one of my lowest powered team, but that's alright. Want to know what the lesson is?”

“Sure! I'm always trying to learn things that'll make me a better trainer.”

“Alright, well the lesson here is never to think you know what's coming, there's always the potential for a nasty surprise. Go Scyther.”

The preying mantis pokemon materialized out of his pokeball, ready and eager for a fight, it's bladed arms gleaming in the light, energy vibrating from him.

“Oooooh. He's so handsome. Was he really hard to catch? Where did you get him? My friend always goes on about . Well he always said he wanted a Scyther.”

Ah, huh. Lillie? Maybe it would be fair to let Hermes have a turn, don't you think? I'm sure he's growing restless and you did say you would use him in the gym battle.

I don't think who she thinks she's fooling, but even I wouldn't want to tangle with that thing. the starter muttered under her breath.

“Oh that's right! You were doing so well I forgot. Are you ready Hermes?”

The little spearow hopped of her shoulder and landed in front of the scyther, completely unconcerned. Lillie thought he could do it, and so he would do it. It was as simple as that. Never mind the fact that the scyther was many, many time it's size. He had Lillie backing him up, there's no way he was going to fail.

“You know, I don't think I've ever seen a spearow that didn't look like he wanted to peck my eyes out. Good choice. Scyther, use fury cutter.”

“Hermes, use peck!”

The two pokemon flew at each other. The scyther tricking with his blade at a speed Lillie had trouble believing, but it wasn't as believable as Hermes turning in mid-air and barely avoiding the attack. The extra spin of his turn seemed to give the move more power as he slammed into the scyther. The mantis gasped in pain as it landed, took two steps forward and fell down.

“Damn girl,” Bugsy said. “I wasn't expecting to win, but I didn't think you'd one-shot my scyther. That's a mighty fine spearow you got there. Hermes, was it? Just goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover I guess. Here's your badge, and the tm for fury cutter.”

“Oh wow, that was amazing Hermes. You're the best!”

Hermes, having landed on her shoulder once the battle was over preened in satisfaction, and he had earned it.

“So. . .huh what does fury cutter do when it hits?” she asked, trying very hard not to rub it in that the his star pokemon had missed a point blank range.

“Well, on it's own, not a lot, but each consecutive hits doubles up in power. Congratulations trainer. You're well on your way to challenge the Elite Four and the Champion.”

“That's Red right?” she asked, trying to sound casual about it.

“Red? No. He's the Kanto Champion, though I guess there's a chance you'll run into him there. Why? Want his autograph?” he asked with a smile.

“Oh no. I just heard he was a really tough opponent, that's all.”

“I'll say. Rumor says he's the best there ever was and that the only reason he hasn't challenged the Jotho League is because he can't be bothered fighting us lowly gym leaders. We're not in his league you see.”

“Huh. Wouldn't fighting weaker trainers be good though? Remind you of where you came from? I don't know, I just feel like the strength of your opponent shouldn't matter if you're serious about being the best right? Maybe by fighting you the weaker opponents can learn something. . . Oh gosh, I'm sorry. I'm rambling here.”

“Not a problem Lillie, and I happen to believe you're right. Maybe we can have a rematch someday, when your team is strong enough to challenge the Elite four. I think it'd be fun. In the meantime, here's my number. If you ever need advice on bug pokemon or something, give me a call.”

“Wow. That's awfully nice of you. Thanks! Now. . . if you don't mind my asking, where did you get that scyther?”

That's right, two chapters today! How about that? The battle pretty much happened exactly like described above. The one difference being that the metapod never did hit first, just after the first confusion. So far, only one casualty, let's see if I can keep that going!

Fennec

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
“Lillie! Wait up!” a male called, a voice Lillie recognized but couldn't quite place. Turning she vaguely recognize the young man that had led her to Mr. Pokemon's house and was, indirectly, responsible for her meeting with Professor Oak. She tried to remember his name for a moment and came up blank. Thankfully her pokemon had a better memory than she did.

Hey isn't that Silver? Ammit asked. He seems in a hurry to catch up with you. I think he likes you.

“Don't be silly, Ammit, he barely knows me,” Lillie replied under her breath. “Silver. It's been a while, hasn't it?”

“Couple months, sure,” he replied once he caught up with her. “How did you get here ahead of me? Last time we saw each other you barely knew which way to hold a pokeballs. I know you beat Falkner since you're here, but people are saying the craziest thing. Team Rocket is back they said. Bunch of losers, the lot of them. Without guidance, there's no way they'd be back.”

“Poachers and criminal? Dressed in black gear?” she asked, feeling her temper rise at the memory of what they'd done. “Monsters who don't care who they hurt as long as there's a profit in it? Yeah, I met them.”

“You met them huh? Wait. You're the crazy girl that set her Croconaw on them? Hardcore Lillie. Didn't know you had it in you,” he said, looking impressed.

“Don't be dumb,” she replied, flushing. “I would never tell one of my pokemon to attack a human. That's just . . . wrong. No. I beat them, fair and square. The guy in charge attacked me and Ammit protected me.”

“Ah, should have known better. You're still weak, like they are, just not as weak. Whatever. If they show their ugly mugs again, I'll just stomp them so hard they'll run away to Hoenn.”

“You're welcome to them,” she replied with a shudder. “If I never see them again, it'll be too soon.”

“Oh come on. Wasn't it fun stomping them? Showing you were better than them?”

“No. I was too angry to feel anything else. I just had to stop them, no matter what. But enough about them. Did you come here just to talk about team rocket?”

“What? Oh. No. Of course not. I wanted to have our battle since you know enough to get a badge, even if it was against Falkner.”

“Two,” she said, a little smugly. “I beat Bugsy too.”

“No way. You beat his Scyther? Now I have to battle you. To think two months ago you didn't even know how to fight.”

“I had a good reason to learn,” she replied sadly. “I accept your challenge Silver. Who wants to go first?” she asked.

Oh come on! It's got to be me Lillie! We still have to teach him a lesson!

“Croconaw huh? Whatever. Don't need type advantage to beat her,” he said, sending out a pokeball. Zubat, Supersonic.”

Ha! Missed by a mile! What do you want me to do Lil?

“Leer at it, than scratch it.”

Aye aye! the croconaw replied.

The combo was too much for the poor zubat and it thumped on the ground unconscious. Ammit looked slightly disappointed at the lack of a challenge, but didn't protest when Lillie called her back in favor of Hermes when Silver sent out his gastly. She was fairly amused by Silver's frustration when the small spearow dismantled his other two pokemon without taking a hit. Hermes might have been smaller than the average spearow, but his desire to impress Lillie gave him an edge none of Silver's pokemon could hope to match.

“Ugh. Damn. To think my pokemon lost to such a wimpy spearow. I need tougher pokemons, than you won't be able to beat me.”

“Oh don't give me that,” Lillie said, taking a step closer to him, her cheeks flushing with and her eyes narrowing in with irritation. “The problem isn't your pokemon, Silver. It's you. You just treat them like tools. A good trainer can bring out the full potential out of any pokemon. Try showing them a little more affection. Learn their names. You should be able to understand Persephone a little by now right?”

“Persephone? My Bayleef you mean? No? Why would I? I'm their trainer. Why would I care about what they have to say? As long as they understand me and do as they're told, what's the point?”

“You! You're impossible! And you want to be the world's greatest trainer? Ha! I don't have time for this. Don't bother me again Silver. I don't have time for someone who thinks his pokemon are only tools to make him stronger.”

And with that, she turned on her heels and stormed through the gatehouse separating Azela from Ilex Forest, her pokemon trying to keep up with the angry young trainer.

Fennec

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
I do not wish to pass judgment on our trainer, but I think that we are lost again, the butterfree said softly, following behind Lillie.

You only think we're lost? replied Ammit with a trace of amusement. We've been wandering in this Lugia cursed forest for almost a week. I'm pretty sure I recognize that rock.

We're not lost sillies. Miss Lillie is just taking the scenic route. We're getting more powerful as we go! Besides, we know we're in Ilex forest, so how can we be lost?

Lillie of course could hear her pokemon's whispers and felt slightly embarrassed. Her sense of direction was for lack of a better word, non-existent, but the forest should be navigable within a couple days. This marked the eight day they'd been stuck in the forest with no end in sight.

“Hermes,” she said softly. “Do you think you could try scouting ahead again? See if you can see anything.”

Of course Lillie! Anything to help! the spearow said, launching himself from her shoulder and taking to the sky.

Getting through the trees was a bit tricky as they grew very close together, but he made it above the canopy and looked around carefully. In the distance, maybe fifteen minutes away from their current location was a clearing. He dove through the branches and found his trainer and reported.

“A clearing? We haven't seen any real ones since we step into the forest. Maybe we should go see what's up. At worst we can rest there for the day. You did good Hermy,” she said scratching his crest.

He leaned into it, eyes closed in pleasure and making little chirping noise. They finally made their way to the clearing and stopped. An odd monument stood in the center, carved from wood and reinforced with stone. The young trainer moved closer to it and wondered what this could possibly be. A plaque at the bottom had some scribble she couldn't make out, probably in a different language.

Well it's about time! Celebi's voice echoed through her mind. Do you know how long I've been waiting for you to get here Lillie? Ages! I would have thought you would have hurried up. This is my Place. I reign supreme here. It's pretty neat actually. Even my Lord toes the line when he shows up here, the green legendary snickered.

“I'm sorry. I didn't know you were expecting me. Or that this was your place.”

What? But everyone in Jotho knows that this is my pl. . . oh. Right. You still haven't really delved into your memories huh. You should do that sometimes, just because your mind was transplanted in this body doesn't mean the memories aren't real. The body lived a full life before we put you in the driver's seat, so to speak.

“Wait. Does that mean I'm possessing someone? I thought you said-”

Oh Arceus girl. You're misunderstanding what I mean. We had to prepare a vessel for you. Thankfully, being able to travel through time and having access to the most powerful psychic mind of all time (I've checked) means we found the perfect place. Your current body should have been a still birth. But thanks to us and Mew's kid, we were able to keep the body alive. It lived, as you would have in those circumstances and a good woman didn't have to mourn the loss of her child on top of her husband's. Anyways. What are you doing over here. I thought you were looking for Red? Isn't he east?

“Oh. . . .I . . .Well. Yes. But everyone keeps saying I need to challenge the league to get to him. That means getting the badges first. Unless you have a better way?” she asked, completely sincere.

Oh. That's right. Mew did say something about that. That does make sense. Red can be a bit. . . Heh, you'll see for yourself. Anyways. Need any advice? Little bit of a push? Anything I can do to help while you're here? It's not often I get to flex my awesome powers.

Lillie thought about it for a while, watching the legendary. But in the end, there were only two things she really wanted at this moment.

“Well, there is, kind of. There's a boy that's helped me before, even if he was a jerk about it,” she began.

After thinking about it for a few days, she realize what part of his problem, what a lot of trainer's problem tended to be. They weren't blessed with the ability to speak with pokemon, couldn't communicate with them like she could and it served as a barrier to forming bonds and it could take years for some to understand more than their starters.

“I heard somewhere that only people who've interacted a Legendary can understand any pokemon...”

Oh. That's not true, though it's not untrue either. Some people are enlightened or care so much about pokemon that they can understand them. You were on the verge yourself before all that snaffu in Alola.

“Oh. . . Well. In any case, maybe he'd be nicer if he could form a bond with his team. Do you think you could. . . give him the ability when he passes through? His name is Silver.”

Silver? OH. SILVER. You guys must have had a pretty big fight if you're calling him that. Don't worry. He'll realize that he's made a big mistake and come crawling back to you, whatever it was he did.

“Come crawling. . .Please don't take this the wrong way, but in heavens are you talking about?”

Well, if you don't want him ba. . .Oh, You know what? Never mind. I . . .huh had him confused with someone else. Haha. . . Huh. . . Sure. I'll help. I mean, he was going to learn eventually, so what's a few months early right? Anyways! It's going to be done the moment he sets foot in here. Haha. . . Anything else?

Lillie looked at the legendary pokemon hovering in front of her and had a feeling she didn't understand what was going on. She liked the little psychic fairy, but of the three Legendary she'd met, she was easily the most scatter-minded and eager of the three. Maybe as a result of the time-traveling?

“Well,” she said at last. “I don't know exactly where in Ilex I am, but my provisions are running low. Do you think you could show us the way out?”

The way out? What. You don't like it here? It's so pretty and I even cleaned up before you came in.

“Oh. . . I. . . It's just that I have this mission I have to finish, that you gave to me, remember? Otherwise I'd be happy to stay here and wander. Maybe after we're done saving the world I can come back here and enjoy it?”

Oh, alright. I guess you're right. We can have fun all the time. But you better come back for a visit later, alright?

“Of course, Celebi. I'd be honored to.”

As soon as the words were out of her mouth, a vortex of leaves and wind caught her and her pokemon. She closed her eyes to avoid any dizziness and opened them only when things had calmed down. Celebi could have given her direction, but had opted instead to transport her to the exit. The encounter with the pokemon had raised her spirit somewhat and she was ready for her next challenge, whatever it might be.

Fennec

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
So, Lil. I gotta ask. Ammit began as they walked inside Goldrenrod City. You could have asked Celebi for anything at all. So huh. . . why would you huh. . .

I believe what Ammit is trying to ask is WHY those wish?

Lillie paused and looked at her pokemon, her friends.

You heard The Guardian. Lillie and him are in lo- Sammy began but was cut off.

“We are not in anything Sammy. Celebi just got confused. Silver is an insufferable jerk. I could never- I mean he's kind of . . .No. Okay. This is not something that's going to happen. Ever. I just thought, he has his good qualities alright? I just think he'd be less of a jerk if he could understand his pokemon like I can understand you guys. Alright?”

Oh, yeah right. That kid's got issues. He's hiding something. I can smell it.

Besides, what makes you think understanding his pokemon will help him become a better person?

“Well, you guys bring the best out of me, I thought they might do the same for him. Besides, I was kind of mean to him. I had to make it up somehow.”

Oh yeah, and being able to understand Persephone is definitely the way to do that, Ammit snickered. But that doesn't explain why you just asked for a way out when you could pretty much have asked for anything else.

“Oh. Well, I'm traveling with my best friends, what more could I possibly want? Besides, that forest went on forever.” she explained, positive that she was being reasonable.

You could have asked for a scyther maybe? I know you really really wanted one.

Once again, Lillie stopped in her track. From the look on her face, it was obvious that the thought had never occurred to her. She could have asked for one. She closed her eyes and counted to ten silently to clear her mind and then come to the conclusion that it was probably a good thing she hadn't asked for one as it wouldn't have had a choice. Besides, she had other pokemon waiting for a chance to shine in the pc system. She should really have a look and see if any of them wanted to tag along. So far, only the pokemon she'd be befriended rather than captured were with her, but things were bound to get tougher. Bringing her team up to six might not be a bad thing.

:As I thought, Lillie, you were the one I was waiting for.: a voice said to her in her mind.

“Did. . .did you guys here that?”

A chorus of noes answered her and she frowned.

:They cannot hear me as I am using telepathy to communicate with you. I have been waiting a long time for you, My Lady. I am currently held in captivity at the Goldrenrod Game Corner. I would join you on your quest and serve you faithfully. If you would have me.:

“Oh. . . Huh sure. I guess. Do. . . do you have a name?”

Hey, Lil? Who are you talking to?

“A voice in my head that wants to join us, whatever that means. But he seems sincere.”

A voice in your head? OH!!! What if it's a psychic pokemon? I hear they always pick their trainer! Cause they know who the best match for them is. Though he must be powerful indeed if he can project his mind all the way here.

:Your. . . Sammy? . . . is correct. I am indeed a psychic pokemon and I would have you as my trainer. I will, however, need some training before I am fully able to assist you in combat. You may call me Mars.:

Oh! I heard him this time! Mars? Why does that sound like I should know that name?

Wasn't Mars the name of the pokemon that. . .Oh.

:Ah, I see that you've met Venus. I had hoped to meet her again but, I see. How unfortunate. I would have like to see her again. But death comes to us all. Do not worry, Lillie,: he said in her mind. :I can see her death still wounds you, but you were not to blame as you truly believed that she would be safe in the pokeball. She would be please to know that her death has not broken you and has made you a better trainer.:

“I know she would,” Lillie said softly. “Can you tell everything I'm thinking?” she asked suddenly.

:Do not worry, my Lady. I have chosen you as my trainer and I will guard your secrets to my dying breath. We will have no secret from one another, but you are not one to keep secrets, are you? Although. . .This is interesting. Please, hurry my Lady, I await you. In order to purchase me,: he said, his mental voice thick with disgust at having to be purchased. You will need to first venture in the Goldrenrod underground and find a coin case. It should save you a lot of hassle should you enter the Game Corner already owning one. I will be waiting.:

Lillie felt the presence leave her mind and she realized she'd been aware of it for some time, as far back as Violet city though she hadn't been aware that she was aware of it.

“Hey guys, what do you know about psychic types?” she asked, not expecting much and was surprised when Ammit spoke up.

Not a lot is actually known about psychic types. It's almost certain that every psychic pokemon you see with a trainer has chosen to be with them, unless they've evolved from a non psychic form or are not very bright to begin with. The Professor thinks that they chose the trainer based either on who can bring them to their full potential or someone who they can bond with. A psychic pokemon bonded to a trainer – they're usually very powerful. But they're also jealous of other psychics and don't usually share unless the trainer is a psychic themselves, and then, they'd have to be very powerful to be able to have more than one or two.

“Oh. Then why would he pick me? I'm not that great-” she was cut off by a chorus of denials which made her smile. “Alright. I'm not as good as some other trainers.”

Nu-huh. You're the best. You might not be the most skill but you have the biggest most strongest heart.

Hermes is right. A lot of trainer would not bother training a butterfree, even one as amazing as me, or a spearow. There are more compelling choices in terms of combat effectiveness in your box right now.

And you didn't even think about helping the slowpokes or taking me along.

You know what strength is, even if you don't believe you have it. AND you can understand us. You always make sure we're up for a fight and you've never forced us to do anything. The question isn't why Mars chose you as his trainer, it's more like, why hasn't a psychic pokemon done so before now.

“Oh. You guys . . .” she said, tearing up a little with the swelling of her heart. “You're the best. You know that?”

Well, DUH. But that doesn't change the fact that you're pretty awesome. Now. Let's go and collect this Mars guy. Always wanted to meet a psychic pokemon. He better not be one of those wussy types that only knows one move for like ever though.

Chapter 14!

Hope you enjoy.

As a side note, I forgot/Never realized how terrible it can be to play with no repels. I am not looking forward to Victory Road...

Fennec

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
After a harrowing visit to the Goldrenrod underground and almost going into sensory overload in the Game Corner, Lillie exited the place, holding on to Mars, who, while not entirely disgruntled at the treatment, was certainly not used to it, especially when his chosen trainer was holding him somewhat tightly.

:My Lady, I am quite capable of moving under my own power. If you insist on carrying me, I would ask that you decrease your hold on me. Oxygen is a necessity, even for psychic types.:

“Oh,” Lillie replied, easing her grip on him. “I'm sorry. I just can't believe they'd be so mean about you.”

Forget those turds, Lil. Abras aren't that rare in Jotho so not a lot of profit in selling them. That's all people who run these things care about. That and trying to get as much cash as possible. I hear the Professor is trying to get these types of place shut down. It's cruel to the pokemon, no matter how well they're treated.

:Very true, though I was there by choice. I knew you would come this way eventually my Lady. Anything else was irrelevant. Now, if I may offer some advice?:

“Huh, sure! And you can call me Lillie,” the trainer replied.

It would not be proper for me to do so. Now, from what I can gather, the coming fight against the Gym Leader has the potential to be lethal has the first two were not. Not the toughest challenge you'll face, but it could very well be the toughest one you've face so far. . . in this life.:

“In this life? Oh. I guess you can see everything, huh?” she asked, still unsure how she felt about the abra knowing all her thoughts.

:Not everything. There is a block on your memories. One I cannot penetrate. I have never encounter one so strong, but it is of little matter at the moment.:

“Oh. That was probably when-” she began, thinking of the time the three legendary had talked to her at once, something she could hardly believe had happened.

:No. I can see this as clearly as anything. This block comes after, but before you were reborn.:

“But that's not possible. I would remember if something had happened. . . right?”

Not necessarily. A powerful enough psychic, pokemon or otherwise would be able to make you forget something. Lock it away. And I mean powerful as heck if you can't even tell. Boyo there might be able to do it, if he reached his full potential, and even then, he'd only be able to make you forget a moment. How long didja say the block covered.

:I did not. It is really hard to tell, I could offer a guess, but it does not matter, we have other matters to attend to. The upcoming battle against Whitney looms before us. We have time to prepare, but not much. Fortunately, I have plan, for her, and the future.:

Lillie listened to the plan and smiled. It was a good plan, one that would prevent her friends from being hurt. So for the next few days, they trained and explored all around, looking for the edge Mars knew they'd find. Along the way, she participated in the pokemon bug catching contest and though she came in second, she did manage to get a scyther, something that lifted her mood tremendously.

I don't get it Lil. You've been raving about scyther since you saw Bugsy's but you went ahead and boxed her. We have an open slot, so why not take her along? She looks like a powerhouse.

“Well. . . I'm not sure that having repeating types is the best idea,” she said, skirting around the issue. “I already have two flying types you see.”

:You can tell them the truth Lillie,: her newly evolved Kadabra said to her alone. Or I can if you prefer They will understan.:

“Okay, Mars. I huh. Well, scythers are super neat and they are really strong, but they're also fragile. The bug flying typing makes it very fragile and I can't justify having two of them on the team.”

Her pokemon were silent, absorbing her words. Finally, Shinatobe spoke.

Ah. You are afraid that one of us would inevitably perish, so you feel you must choose between myself and Kelly to be on the team.

“I . . .yes. I'm sorry. And. . . I think eventually Kelly will be on the team.”

Oh. Yes. Of course. We are bound to find a metal coat at some point, then she would become a scizor, and lose most of her vulnerability to other types. A wise decision.

:No, Shina. Well. Yes. But she will join the team before then. Lillie is very worried about you. You know that you have reached your ceiling in power. You are still the fastest amongst us, but we can all see that the hits are hitting you harder and as powerful as you are, the opposition grows stronger, able to handle two, sometimes three hits from your before they fall. Lillie would rather you be mad at her for boxing you, and safe, than keep you until the inevitable happens and she is forced to mourn your death.:

“I'm sorry Shina, I just. . . I don't want to but-”

Hush, Lillie. I understand. I'm not happy about it, I AM mighty, but my might is not getting any mightier. But I understand and when you think the time is right, I will go and –

A yellow and black blur jumped out of a bush and lunged at the butterfree.
RAWR!

Landing in front of the bug type was an elekid, pumping it's tiny fist at her.

Mighty huh? Come at me? Betcha you can't lay a wing on me! Come on, bug. Scared of a little type disadvantage?

Sammy stepped between the two, claws ready.

How about you? Huh? Scared of a little type disadvantage? You're not going to hurt my friend!

Huh. . .Nope! Take that! EXPLODY PUNCH!

The elekid moved in a blur again, to fast for Sammy to follow until she was right under it's nose, and the punch sent her flying into Lillie, clearly knocked silly.

Imaright. . . Just. . . need to . . . remember which way is up and I'll be fine.

HA! ELLA! CHAMPION OF THE WORLD! WOOOO! I ain't scared of no ground typ. . Hey! Cut it out!

She was talking to Mars who was levitating her off the ground while Lillie checked Sammy to make sure the sandshrew was okay.

:You are strong, for one so young. But rash, with no discipline. You need training if you want to reach your full potential.:

Woah! Are you talking in MY HEAD? That's so awesome. Can you do other tricks? Huh? Wait. I can get even stronger than I am now? Training?

“You could,” the trainer answer instead of her Kadabra. “But you'd need a trainer. As it happens, I have a slot on my team. Interested?”

A trainer huh? That means I get to fight a bunch, get food without having to hunt it down and have friend that have my back? Sweet. Count me in!

“Alright then,” Lillie said, tossing a pokeball at the young electric pokemon. “Welcome to the team.”

Okay. Ella isn't technically a catch. She's what hatched out of the Odd Egg you get from the daycare center. But do you really believe that Lillie could bring herself to use an actual newly hatched pokemon in battle? Yeah. I didn't think so either. No matter how quickly pokemon can grow up, she'd always see her baby. So - Catch instead!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)