Join me as I shamelessly indulge in AUs and struggle uphill in life

Pcaara

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
Water, Dark, Dragon, Fighting, Ground, Cool, Cute, Tough, ???
SOOO I had no clue this part of the forum existed but I'm discovering new things everyday and it's great?? As the title suggests, I don't really have a specific subject I want to cover here. But i've got a whole HEAPING WHOA amount of change coming to my life in the next couple months - including living on my own for the first time ever, meaning i can actually work on my lifestyle, pick back up anatomy studies, completely control my own space for a change, lose weight and other things that I hope to maybe touch on here. But for tonight, i'd be completely lying if I said I had anything super substantial to post.

No.
The one thing that encouraged me to start this thread, was my
Gosh Darn Human AU.

Don't really know where else to post these on here, so i'll post them in this blog along with the other stuff whenever I get a chance to. Basically this AU turns Asadi's team (Asadi being the main character of my comic Leftovers) into humans and I kind of view it was a wacky visual novel esque scenario? Anyway, drawing Sammy, Kiba and Cohen as humans has helped alot with their characterization and I really love the way their designs turned out and I just have to share my babies ;;A;;

I bootlegged a cover and it was way too much fun.

And then THIS is the one I did tonight, the one I HAD to share because my sons (son? singular?) turned out so well.

That's all for this post! Join me next time for god knows what :D

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I went to the lantern festival today, which, according to my mom, is supposed to be where you write down things you want to release on the lantern and then send them out. I didn't want to just list a bunch of stuff because it didn't feel....right...
Then I realized.

4 members of Team Asadi.
4 sides of the lantern.

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
And now for something completely different...

An Honest review on The Lion King 2019

So I am somebody who frequents video essays and critiques in search of hearty discussion. I am also somebody who, as a small babe, watched the original Lion king so much that the Rental Store eventually said "fuck just give it to her" and sold their copy of the vhs - in that thick plastic, non descript box - to my poppop for some loose change. I feel like I don't have to go into why I loved the original so much (I mean, we ALL know why we loved it), but as for this remake i've had an...interesting relationship with it.
When the trailer dropped to millions of people screaming in excitement, all I could muster was

but they're just lions though.

A sentiment which seems to be echoed now more than ever, after the movie has come out, is that because they're just lions they lack the expression of the original and thus the emotion of the original fail to come through. BUT the visuals themselves are stunning, and still again the voice acting could use some work. So after a few weeks of being back and forth about whether to see it, not wanting to give Disney money for what is obviously a cash grab, I've decided to go today on matinee. Where the ticket is half off so I can stop stressing about all that other shit and just, hopefully, enjoy the movie.

Will the criticisms be right? Or will I find myself melting and giving it a pass regardless of the artistic direction towards realism snuffing out the best parts?
Guess time will tell
It is currently 12:50 EST. And I see it at 2:10. Wish me luck!

EDIT: It is 5:22pm

SO UH, THE LION KING 2019 WAS ABSOLUTELY
okay.

Actually i'm completely surprised by how I verbatim my thoughts afterwards have come across in comparison to the numerous critics i've watched lambaste this film into the totally not real but really well animated dirt.
- The visuals were STUNNING
- The characters had a hard time emoting due to the realism
- Timon and Pumbaa stole the show in their scenes
- The voice acting was okay in some areas but holy shit we need a retake in others

etc, etc etc. I will say though. While my feelings were overwhelmingly similar to the popular ones in circulation right now, they are not nearly as extreme in nature. I've seen alot of people saying things like "everyone was SOULESS" and "THIS MOVIE SHOULDN'T EXIST" and it's a real symptom of this extremist culture we're in nowadays - which goes a long way in influencing how people take crit and can make or break a person's (or studio's) take on self improvement. I do think it's overwhelmingly damaging to be so extreme in the long run but i'm here to talk about the lion king so:

Things I liked:
- The visuals of course, as mentioned. The way the artists captured realism in the way animals moved was FAFFING BANANAS. My dork ass was in there like "OH MY GOD, LOOK AT TIMON'S LITTLE HAND SCRATCH" "OO! OO! DID YOU SEE THAT SAD NOSE TWITCH JAFJDS;LFJDLS;"

- So the "I just can't wait to be king" scene, and my viewing it ahead of time on youtube, is what made me give in to seeing this movie where I originally had no interest. Because GOLLY if the baby animals running with simba and nala and the flipping of the song for one individual into one for an entire generation wasn't enough to give me goosebumps, then john oliver's anxious ad libs as zazu sure did! I-i've lost him!! Simba?? I love it

- S H E N Z I my QUEEN. Also the hyenas in general were..REALLY COOL?? There is a wild, hostile pack of scavenging poochyena/mightyena appearing later on in leftovers, so watching this just FILLED my head with inspiration to work on concept art for them and how they move in a pack. I also LOVE that they embellished on the fact that hyenas live in a matriarchal society I mean honestly just end me that was so cool

- Okay so Scar, who I wasn't sure about going in, was actually kinda WILD?? Some of the shit he said to simba, particularly in the gorge (SPOILERS). He told his little lion ass "Your father gave you so many chances. And this is how you repay him." And i was like
WE ON THAT TIME NOW?? DAMN SCAR
Be prepared was a little weak but I don't mind his frustrated, shakespearean approach this time around. That version of be prepared matched that version of scar. Also i'd heard that he wasn't as flamboyant as the original but did you see how many times he groomed himself? Almost as if he was trying to wash off the sin [bricked] I think that's plenty translation of flamboyance for a lion that's supposed to be realistic

My issues:

- Vocal Pacing. The circle of life scene. Off. The stampede scene. Off. Be prepared. Off. The entire last half of the film. Off. In general, things just seemed to move WAY too quickly, as if someone were watching the original movie on x4 and had to summarize it as it happened. So the summary sounds like a laundry list/bullet points of what the movie was, but without any of the tone or atmosphere? Actually you know what, that's what Im going for. The movie felt very tone-deaf. There were a few parts in the beginning where I was like "alright...didn't land but they got the original line right i guess" but then that became 90% of the movie for me, which sounds like an exaggeration but i'm not proud of it?? loll I was just..hoping the performances would live up, but they fell flat alot of the time. Timon and pumbaa did add something to their parts, and scar was very spot on alot of the time, but outside of that everyone sounded like they were voicing over something without knowing ANYTHING about the context of the scene. Which may be how voice lines are recorded, in a room without footage. But lion king already made it's context known. in 1994.

- The expressionism of the lions is severely limited by this adherence to realism, but it didn't have to be THIS limited. They aren't quite souless, as there's a few times where they really caught the nuance of animalistic emotions well, but they didn't do as much with the bulk of the face as they could have. I think the brow only really came in when anyone was mad. But outside of that. No brow action in simba's moments of sadness. No brow action in moments of self doubt, such as the elephant graveyard. I understand that animals don't emote the same way we do.
But these are not real animals looll
They're animated. You can take a little lead way, after all we had things like

- the whole ass day-night cycle changing over the course of one or a couple lines. Let me be specific. When mufasa is talking to simba about the stars in the original, the scene takes place really close to night, the tail end of twilight. For some reason in the remake they set the scene in late afternoon to start, probably so we could still see the lions since realistically at night you wouldn't be able to see much. As mufasa says ONE LINE, the sky suddenly speeds into blue and the night falls.
Now hold on yall. You just pulled a documentary speedup on the sky, but simba can't properly cry? Loll I know that sounds super salty, but despite not hating the movie, I still have a bone to pick with the creative decisions outside of the technically impressive visuals. Such as:

- Hi. Why does "Can you feel the love tonight" take place in the day. The entire song is predicated around the fact that the soft glow of moonlight and serenity of everyone having gone to bed, leaving the jungle to frolic in, is a perfect time to bond and foster a romance. THEY LITERALLY DIDN'T CHANGE ANY LYRICS AT ALL. I..heard about this but didn't expect for it to take me out of the movie as much as it did. But you know what else didn't work besides the song-scene consistency?
The singing.
Donald Glover. I love you. Beyonce. I love you. But you don't have to croon on every verse. It's okay. That's usually saved for the album version of the song. These are talking lions who broke out in song at random, they shouldn't sound like take 10 at the studio. Uh. I'm lumping Beyonce's song "Spirit" in here too. Again, another song that could have just been saved for the album. There didn't need to be talking over simba's return. It...ruined the vibe...?? looll man I sound super salty, but hear me out. I have one last, glaring issue with this movie. And this is the big one:

- OKAY. There's a rule when writing called "Don't explain the magic".
(and it's a good one to stick too btw). This ENTIRE movie is explaining the magic. By making this movie incredibly hyper realistic, it becomes MUCH harder to suspend our disbelief for certain things. Why did simba immediately believe scar and run away. Why didn't simba die in the desert before he was found. Why hasn't scar impregnated one of the females yet, as he is the king now and surely needs an heir. These might seem like silly questions, but when the movie spends a
p a i n s t a k i n g
amount of time detailing how simba's fur traveled from him to rafiki towards the end of the 2nd act, the audience is now in the mindset of
"okay. so this world has real world physics and follows real world rules and people should act and react in a real world sense, right?"

only to then be met with simba and nala traveling across a desert to get to the pridelands (yknow with their paws that have alot of surface area and can push aside alot of sand at once to travel faster) and then being immediately caught up to by timon and pumbaa. Who not only left later, but whose mode of transport has tiny hooves that would...probably sink in the sand faster and make it harder to traverse? Even if that isn't entirely true, I doubt they could have caught up with two lions and---

see how ridiculous this gets? It's easy to be like "okay suspend your disbelief like you did for the cartoon"
but that's just it. The cartoon's story (fast travel montages and all) was written with a cartoon in mind. How they traveled across the desert so fast doesn't need to be explained, because we weren't given this huge documentary shot of the vast sea of sand in the original. We didn't have to ask how the hell simba could still be alive after collapsing in the desert, because we didn't see how far he had to travel in the original. I wasn't concerned about how hot his little paws might be, because he wasn't a real tangible lion capable of feeling the realistic feelings I feel as a living creature in the heat.

Anyway, i'm gonna cut this off here before I ramble on too long looll Overall, didn't hate it. Didn't love it. But I don't feel like I wasted my money so that's a good thing LOL This would have been a perfect opportunity to really make this a re-imagining and change some of the things about the original that may not have made sense, but alas we have what we have.

I give it a matinee.

Last edited:

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
This is not related to the lion king. I haven't seen it yet, but i'll update the last post when I do. However, I was just introduced to this video:

I don't watch "I hate everything", but i'm forever thankful for this video?? EVERYTHING he's mentioned in this video (save for the stalkers thankfully) is something i've dealt with. I mean hell, just a little while ago I had to come off of my production schedule for Leftovers because I realized I was being self destructive and overworking myself. But the biggest thing i'm greatful for is what this video taught me....

I had no idea that anxiety had its roots in overproduction of adrenaline.

It always felt like this...force that I couldn't get rid of. Like depression is due to lack of serotonin but anxiety is just this completely irrational headspace that a lot of us are just forced to deal with. But now that I know I can get on tablets to at least curb the constant stress, i'm definitely going to seek out help in that department.

*deep exhale*

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
Hey hey its been a brick! Back with a very short entry this time. Today my mom moved back to our old hometown and since her apartment was in my name and the lease where i live now ends in a few months, im gonna start moving all my stuff over hopefully pretty soon. Wanted to post this as sort of a milestone because this is my first time living by myself with no roommates or anything. It's just me, and i'm spending my first night in this apartment alone under the pretense that I don't have to keep things in a certain manner because literally nobody HAS to return here but me. And honestly its great?? I'm documenting this because I have high hopes for what living alone will do for my productivity and ability to schedule. I"ll also get to design my space the way I want and im living for it right now. So, to end this post, here is a before and after pic of me starting to turn my mom's old dining room into my studio corner.

*drumroll*

bought some REALLY good stick on wallpaper from amazon, and I love how it makes this corner stand out. I needed it black because im ADD and have found the stock white walls of this place distract me way too much. plus black shrinks the space and makes it feel more personal and gallery-esque.
I don't have anything over here yet, as most of the stuff in the above picture left with mom today. But I haven't been this at peace in a while :D

Will update later when the space is more finished.

Reactions: Bug

MouseWithADinosaurTail

Luck will travel, but that's why I've got feet
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Though she often appears sweet and polite, the smell of wrong opinions may cause this pokemon to latch bite.
SOOO I had no clue this part of the forum existed but I'm discovering new things everyday and it's great?? As the title suggests, I don't really have a specific subject I want to cover here. But i've got a whole HEAPING WHOA amount of change coming to my life in the next couple months - including living on my own for the first time ever, meaning i can actually work on my lifestyle, pick back up anatomy studies, completely control my own space for a change, lose weight and other things that I hope to maybe touch on here. But for tonight, i'd be completely lying if I said I had anything super substantial to post.

No.
The one thing that encouraged me to start this thread, was my
Gosh Darn Human AU.

Don't really know where else to post these on here, so i'll post them in this blog along with the other stuff whenever I get a chance to. Basically this AU turns Asadi's team (Asadi being the main character of my comic Leftovers) into humans and I kind of view it was a wacky visual novel esque scenario? Anyway, drawing Sammy, Kiba and Cohen as humans has helped alot with their characterization and I really love the way their designs turned out and I just have to share my babies ;;A;;

I bootlegged a cover and it was way too much fun.

And then THIS is the one I did tonight, the one I HAD to share because my sons (son? singular?) turned out so well.

That's all for this post! Join me next time for god knows what :D
Hi. I love this. This is gorgeous. :3

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
I did it. I broke through. I'm finally working freely on Chapter 11 and SHIT'S POPPING OFF?? The cover started things off strong with the colors, and then that continued into page one thankfully. Now im 4 pages in (about to get back to linearting and coloring one page at once like the good old days, at least to get through this chap i think). Here's the most recent one I worked on because my ass is reeling how did this happen where did it come from looll

I like playing this game to help with my anxiety towards crowds. Basically, I like to make every bg character look as if the POV could shift to them and become their story at any moment. If my readers can look at some random person getting coffee or crossing the street and instantly be like "um holy shit what are THEY up to??"
Then i've done my job and the game is won :D
In this particular page, the young trainers on the train and the orange haired guy in the marketplace caught my own attention. Keeping them on speed dial ;)

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
HELLO, long time no post!!
So things are heating up in life right now, as we are officially less than a month away from Pokemon Sword and Shield. Now i'm not sure if I mentioned this in here or not, but I want to do my first ever Pokemon Let's Play for Pokemon Sword specifically. Back in the days of sun and moon, I desperately wanted to do a let's play, as my reactions to things are genuinely buckwild sometimes and I would've loved to document this on camera. But unfortunately, as many of you may or may not know, getting a 3DS capture card is
L i t e r a l H e l l
And so there I was, watching from the same Audience position as I had during ORAS, still playing the games but longing to create an LP series of my own. A dream which was out of reach due to my being a poor college student with no free time.

Well guess what, i'm grown now i think, and I have a big girl job with a big girl schedule. So​

Let's do this.

First up comes The Investments. So I knew going into this, that even though i'm a novice youtuber technically ( I mean I stream but when it comes to making actual vids im basically a noob), I still wanted to make the most out of this experience. Meaning, I would be investing in the best possible quality and pushing myself to my current limits. Sound familiar? It's my mentality towards Leftovers LOL So I did some research on the 3 most important pieces of tech needed to actually get your let's play off the ground. Those being:

A Capture Card, A decent quality camera (for facecam), and a Microphone.
As mentioned, I wanted to do the very best I could at the moment, so I sprung for things that were not only higher end, but still affordable and used by a decent amount of youtubers (so I could find ample reviews). For a capture card, I have the Elgato HD60S Game Capture Card (ran me $120 used on ebay),
my webcam is the commonly used Logitech C920 (about $72 I believe, with privacy shutter), and my Microphone is the Blue Yeti Nano ($105 with sales tax for me). I bought all of these extremely separate from one another, and there's actually several gameplay tests where I don't have certain things because I wasn't sure if I wanted to invest in them or not, but found out that I might as well. For instance, I wasn't sure if I wanted a facecam, so I used a cheap laptop cam and sent it to my friends to see if it actually added anything to the gameplay. Alot of them said it felt way more personal with the facecam, so it managed to stick around :)

(picture of the above mentioned items - with the capture card being the little flat thing between them. And courtesy cameo from my cintiq)

Now because my friends actually enjoyed the facecam, I had a whole new problem on my hands to work out.....
I needed a proper backdrop/setup.

Now remember how I converted my mom's old dining room into an art studio, complete with black wallpaper? Well that REALLY ended up coming in handy. But first, let's take a step back. My initial, full digital corner setup looked like this.

It worked for what I needed. I was facing the wall, distractions minimalized, with my back to my kitchen. But....when I first used my webcam, I found myself in a predicament. Turns out, I would either have to get a whole backdrop, a greenscreen or suffer with the mediocre amateur-esque quality of a facecam background looking like THIS (yes that's me in the top right being an absolute hot mess lol):

I was at a true loss at this point...i'd already gone WAY over budget and didn't want to have to think about how much getting a backdrop would cost. As well as the setup that would have to go into maintaining that, while still keeping my apartment livable. In addition, I was having a hard time with lighting. Now, it's gotten better, but i'm still using a house lamp with a daylight bulb and i'll probably end up investing in a ringlight or something to help even things out later on. Regardless, I tried a bunch of different things (including covering a half sheet of cardboard with sketches, making a cubby and playing on the floor, but my cables wouldn't reach). In the end, I realized something important.

This is my apartment. I can literally rearrange whatever I want, and when i'm done with it, I can put it right back. Or not.

And so rearrange I did...getting not only a much more pleasing result, but...honestly making my entire workspace legitimately look like a youtuber set up. I actually REALLY like it like this, the professional chaos gets me super pumped LOL In addition, I now have a full, usable corner to play around with and decorate to implicitly display who I am as a person. So of course I had to throw mudkip from the hidden leaf in there, no doubt.

Now, back to that test footage screen real quick, because it looked kinda bland right? Facecam overlapping game footage and a black as the void background...WEEEEELL today at work we had some down time and I actually managed to create some collateral for this LP (including an overlay and a thumbnail). But before I show that, I DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO INTRODUCE MY BOYS (done in the style of the games):

NOW I can get into the overlay and the thumbnail, which still have a little work to be done, but i'm super proud of them tbh:

(time is fake, I used it to figure out spacing lool)

FINALLY, the last bit of this thread.....
I have test footage LOL. All of my test footage so far has been solely private and distributed amongst irl friends but honestly...this is the best test i've done so far, so I wanted to share it (and hopefully get some outside feedback on the entertainment value as well, be honest!!). Hope you - reader- and I will still be cool after this because OOOF. 👀

ENJOY!! AND THANKS FOR READING/WATCHING

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)