• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Nuzlocke Ruleset Rulesets you'd like to share

Kinetic Kimo

Trainer MIA
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her. Old-school girl words.
Pokémon Type
Water, Psychic
I don't know if there might be a better place for this, but I wanted to make a thread for rules that you've seen or played around with before that you'd like to share with the community. This is kinda similar to the "Nuzlocke Ideas and Concepts You'd Like to See" thread, but instead these are rules or concepts that you've previously explored. Tell us what the rules/concepts are, and how they enhanced the experience in some way, whether that be difficulty/fun/giving a new perspective, and what-have-you. Or if you see some rules here that you've tried before, tell us about your experiences with them.

I'll kick things off with a few rules that I like.

Level Caps, usually just in relation to the gym leaders, add a little bit of extra difficulty and force me to think a bit more strategically about how I approach a gym fight. Usually I would say no member of my team can be of a higher level than the gym leader's ace +2. Enough so I can still have an edge, but I can't grind my way out of a danger zone.

The aforementioned rule pairs nicely with an Item Limit of some kind. Typically I like to say up to 3 items (excluding pokeballs) may be used in any given battle. I've also seen other runs where the item limit is based on how many items the next gym leader has available to them. This rule keeps me from spamming healing items to get through tough battles, and also grants a little more value to moves that recover health or statuses.

Typelockes, if you've never tried one before, can be very challenging but also very fun. It's a nuzlocke variant where, instead of catching the first encounter in each route, you instead catch the first encounter in each route of a specified type (or types) and can only use pokemon that have that type, and you have to find ways to utilize and protect an entire team that shares similar strengths and weaknesses. I've only played around a little bit with typelockes, but the most prominent thing I noticed was how my perspective on certain pokemon changed. Some pokemon with sub-par stats may suddenly seem ideal because they have an unusual dual typing that covers certains weaknesses, or perhaps they get access to a wider variety of moves.

Another rule that I've enjoyed before is a Catch Limit. I've seen a couple variations of this theme, but what I've done before was this; I could only catch up to 2 pokemon (including the starter!) before the first gym, and then I could catch an additional 2 pokemon after every gym badge I earned. As to how the catching was done, normal rules apply, but I could choose not to catch what I first encountered and I could forfeit my catch for that route so I could try to find something elsewhere. If I was at my maximum for catches, any other first encounters would be automatically forfeit and I couldn't go back and try again on that route later. In this way, it forced me to catch and use pokemon found through-out the region, rather than solidifying a six-mon team of early catches for most of the run. This rule is great for a game that you've played a lot and can usually get through pretty safely with a handful of familiar pokemon, because it makes you work with some later-game catches that you might be less experienced with. It also makes you think hard about whether or not to catch any given pokemon, if you can find something more beneficial on another route. And lastly, the overall limit makes the death of a pokemon truly devastating.

Neotornado

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
I need to buy a pro account? (He/Him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
After some snark on the touhoumon shoddy chat in early 2013, I generally play with complocke rules in my runs, even when they have no special rules. And by "complocke" I mean not using any items in battle with the exception of pokeballs and held items, and the switching mode must be forced on set. In other words: the same conditions you'd be playing with in the battle tree/maison/subway/tower or in non-wonder launcher PvP. Outside of that, here's a few rules I've come up with:
]Neo Dupe-clause: You are allowed to ignore the FIRST pokemon of a dupe you encounter, but anything after that must be caught. Sometimes I'll extend this to two free dupes if I'm doing a blind run but the point is to emulate a dupe clause without allowing myself to abuse it for a super rare encounter in a sea of common ones. I'll admit this one is based off the touhoumon romhacks which have a LOT of scenarios where you can do that.
Out-Of-This-World dupe clause: This was one I came up with while playing B/W last year, but is really only viable if you either have a living dex, are playing in a gen where wifi is still ongoing (VI/VII) or are doing an emulator run. Pretty much any dupe you get, you swap it out for a randomized pokemon from OUT of the current region, imported in as an egg (so no non-phione legendaries unless you are super cheaty and do the HG/SS event) Gives a bit more spice into a run and can lead to some pretty interesting team combinations that wouldn't normally be seen.
This one requires some explanation: Back in 2014 I came up with this challenge that was based off the old avatar run that involved only using pokemon of four different types.
In the type master challenge, you first pick one primary type, and then pick four secondary types. (normal is given for free as a secondary unless it is your primary) Pokemon that have your primary type can use moves without any restrictions. Pokemon that don't have your primary type can ONLY use moves from the primary and secondary types. For example, if I picked grass as a primary type and normal/fighting/rock/ice/dark as secondary types, grass-typed pokemon can use any move they want, but all other pokemon can only use grass, normal, fighting, rock, ice, or dark moves, even if they don't get STAB on any of them. In practice this ended up being a less restrictive version of a typelocke, but I also wiped in almost every challenge I did of this, only succeeding last october with a SoulSilver run that got held back by 4 years. Dunno if anyone else is interested but this is probably the most in-depth I've gotten with a ruleset.

Last edited:

CasualGameFreak

Discord Resident Extraordinaire
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Grass
Pokédex Entry
Despite being a Grass-type, Casual is a flaming lesbian. Fire and Grass don't usually mix, but somehow it works out here.
I am a particular fan of what I call the Fair Fight Clause, which pretty much states that when entering a Gym, the player may only use as many Pokemon as the Leader has. If a Gym requires an HM to navigate, an extra mon may be brought in as long as that mon only uses the HM move and doesn't battle.

I used this rule in my first ever completed Nuzlocke in Crystal, and I found that it didn't actually add too much challenge, as with Gyms I was usually only using a couple of mons anyway. More challenge usually came from another clause that stated I had to keep my starter on the team at all times unless he was dead, which led to me having to carry him into every single Gym, even those he wouldn't be much help in.

The biggest impact, though, was in Chuck's Gym. At one point, a Trainer's Machoke used Rock Slide on my Butterfree, Caroline. She somehow managed to tank it thanks to a Reflect, which faded after the turn. My Bayleef, Trevor, was in the yellow, and I wasn't sure if he would be able to tank a hit if I switched him in. In a normal run, I would have simply switched in my Kingler, Noelle, who had a lot of physical defense and would easily tank a couple hits and take Machoke out. But here, I didn't have her, so I had to make the choice of either healing Trevor immediately and dooming Carrie to die, or switching him in and risking losing them both. I refused on principle to sack Carrie, so I took the risk, and it paid off -- Trevor tanked the hit like a boss. I healed him up and he took the Machoke down.

So it may not seem like much immediately, but depriving the player of extra switching options can really put them in a pinch in certain scenarios. I had a lot of fun with it, and I'm sure other players can as well.

SimplyUnknown

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
I personally really like the starter rules like 'Starter can't leave your party' and 'If your starter faints, the run is over.' This mainly applies to my written stories as the starter ends up taking either a supporting or leading role and losing them would have a huge impact on story or trainer.

I also use 'level limit' which means no pokemon on my team can be above the level of the gym leader's ace before they've been beaten. This made my wonderlocke pretty interesting as I had to trade away really high level pokemon I was traded since they were above the gym leader's ace. They probably wouldn't have obeyed me anyways.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
For my Omega Ruby navlocke-in-progress, I included a special rule that a certain Pokemon could not leave my party (except when I was exp. share training weak Pokemon) and that if she died, the next female Pokemon I caught would 'replace' her and also not be able to leave my party.

This led to some... interesting situations. The stories I could tell you (and eventually I do plan to tell you; I just have to finish Ori's Gift first, because the navlocke is a direct sequel and involves spoilers.)

Kinetic Kimo

Trainer MIA
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Water, Psychic
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Neotornado
Oh, I've used the neo dupe-clause before! Although I never had a proper name for it. It's one I use maybe half of the time, depending on other rules. It's a fantastic in-between for the typical dupes clause vs building up a sea of rattata in your box, but like you said, not as abuse-able. I've seen times where the normal dupes clause can be used to guarantee a rare catch, simply because there's nothing else that you can encounter that wouldn't be a dupe. I also like your Type Master idea, very interesting twist on the normal typelocke. I imagine defensive typing would become a very important part of your team makeup.
@CasualGameFreak
Your Fair Fight Clause is another rule I've seen before, but never knew a name for. Even if it only occasionally come into play in-game, I really like seeing this one from a story perspective, because it makes you feel like there's some form of regulations to follow when challenging the league, and overall gives a more organize and professional feel to the whole league circuit.
@SimplyUnknown
I've never used the starter rule before (although I've also never removed my starter anyway), but I've seen it in other runs before. Manic calls it Persistent Starter in his runs, and it really helps make you feel like the starter is the protag's partner in everything.
@Trollkitten
That's an interesting restriction. From a story perspective the first thing that comes to mind is some form of possession, where a demon or spirit of some kind is relying on a host (which must be female) in order to remain involved. It definitely sounds like catching her replacement would be a bit nerve-wracking.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
That's an interesting restriction. From a story perspective the first thing that comes to mind is some form of possession, where a demon or spirit of some kind is relying on a host (which must be female) in order to remain involved. It definitely sounds like catching her replacement would be a bit nerve-wracking.
You're actually not that far off! There is in fact a spirit involved, although the reasoning behind it is a bit different. Unfortunately I can't give any details or else I'd risk spoiling the entire premise of the navlocke before I even post the first page... and I really don't want to do that, because this is quickly becoming my favorite nuzlocke I've ever done and I do not want to ruin its surprises.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
One I like and is reasonably challenging is this:

1. You can't remove Pokemon from you team until they die.
2. When a Pokemon dies, you use the earliest one you caught in your PC regardless of what it is (I usually keep my PC in the order I caught them, but I figure people can just rearrange them as they see fit as a work around so that's why I worded it this way).

It has led to some interesting teams, such as me taking a Pyukumuku to the Elite Four in Moon, and has a level of strategy with catches (There are some points where you need to hold off on catches so you don't have a bunch of water types in a row for example).

sunburstblue

blue stars burn brighter
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Well, her Pokédex No. is #274, which is Nuzleaf. Could anything be more hilariously fitting for this forum?
A rule that I commonly play with but don't see that often is putting a ban on buying all items (except pokeballs) but still being able to use them in battle. Normally I'll see the opposite (can buy but can't use in battle). I think both options are pretty challenging. I've been in quite a few positions where I ran out of healing items and lost a pokemon, so in that sense it's actually like a more intense version of the "no items in battle" rule. And LOTS of running back to the Pokemon Center to boot.

I've also started banning myself from using pokemon that got into the Hall of Fame in previous runs so that I can try out new mons.

Level limit is also a good one!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
I have an idea for a 'limited types' nuzlocke similar to Mouse's earthlockes. Except instead of limiting myself to rock, steel, and ground types, I'm limited to psychic, ghost, dark, and fairy types.

But that's not the catch. The catch is... if my first encounter isn't one of these types (or evolves into one of these types), I have to Wonder Trade it for one.

And there is no level limit.

And there is no dupes clause.

I may be attempting an X nuzlocke under these rules once I'm finished playing my Omega Ruby navlocke. Why X? Well, it's one of the easiest Pokemon games I've ever played (possibly THE easiest), so it seems like my best bet for my first time at a limited-type nuzrun. (I did do a Water/Ground duotype run of White 2, but that wasn't with nuzlocke rules, and I barely managed to cheese Iris's Lapras after like the fifth time because it was tailor-made to stomp anything and everything I threw against it. I had to stall out Thunder with Samurott's bulk, and even then, one crit would have had me.)

I predict that before this run ends, I'm going to be raising a whole bunch of Poochyena. Also, I am REALLY tempted to start this run now, but Shield comes out in a matter of days and I'm going to try to nuzlocke it within a week, so I don't really have time to start a new run that will invariably compete for my attention among all the other runs I'm doing.

Last edited:

JavierE64

Masks are so 2016!!
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Pokédex Entry
The Master of both Light and Darkness; who loves the Violent and Dramatic, and the Fun and Adorable.
I came up with a difficult rule set, slightly based on The Aftermath´s aesthetics.

• DUPES AND EVOLUTIONS are fair game.
  • Repels are prohibited
  • Set mode at all times
  • If your party is full, you cannot catch any more Pokémon. (Except when NONE of your members cannot learn an IMPORTANT HM move that´s MANDATORY for you to progress)
  • You can only use the Pokémon Center/Healing Place a limited amount of times per area.
  • Once you entered a new area, you must fully traverse it, and cannot return to a previous one, unless the story demands it. Play Carefully.
  • You must replace your starter with your first catch right then and there.
  • NO POKE-MARTS, only use Items found in the over world or given to you.
  • No Day Care, Exp. Share and all that Jazz.

What do you all think, Is anyone brave enough to try these rules? Because to be honest, I´m not.

Kinetic Kimo

Trainer MIA
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Water, Psychic
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Draknir
Oh how interesting, that sounds like it would definitely cause some unorthodox strategies to make full use of a pokemon's potential, since your options would be locked in. I like the idea that choosing when and when not to catch a pokemon would have a significant impact, since it's not typically even a factor that you'd think of.
@sunburstblue
You're right, I see a lot of no items in battle too, but a rule to the reverse effect could be quite interesting. From a story perspective, it has a survivalist/on the run feel to it, and I love the idea of each healing item you find feeling like a real treasure, and something not to expend lightly. If you're playing through GSC or HGSS you could even ban buying pokeballs too, and just rely on Kurt to keep a scarce supply. You'd also be happy every time Mom spent your money and sent you a potion!
@Trollkitten
That's an excellent use of the wonder trade, should make for quite the intriguing run once you start it. I think you may want to start sucking up to lady luck though, or your poochyena prediction might just prove true, haha.
@JavierE64
That's a pretty intense ruleset, probably beyond me too. I like the theme though, that would be excellent for setting the scene for a runaway-criminal/rebel type story. Or just a good way to rough up a seasoned nuzlocker.

Fennec

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 9, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
he, him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
I have two rules I plan on using at some point part of some run.

The first one being

As you were: You can only evolve pokemon once per gym defeated. That's one pokemon, after a gym is defeated. Evolutions requiring items or trading of any kind are a big no-no.

The other rule I want to try is

Endangered species: Once after defeating a gym, randomly select a pokemon type. Once that type is selected, you can no longer catch pokemon of that type. If you pick a type that you've previously selected you're good, no need to re-randomize it. This rule is no longer in effect when you become champion. This rule DOES affect the first catch. If the first catch is that of an "endangered species" you've lost your catch for that area.

sunburstblue

blue stars burn brighter
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Well, her Pokédex No. is #274, which is Nuzleaf. Could anything be more hilariously fitting for this forum?
You're right, I see a lot of no items in battle too, but a rule to the reverse effect could be quite interesting. From a story perspective, it has a survivalist/on the run feel to it, and I love the idea of each healing item you find feeling like a real treasure, and something not to expend lightly. If you're playing through GSC or HGSS you could even ban buying pokeballs too, and just rely on Kurt to keep a scarce supply. You'd also be happy every time Mom spent your money and sent you a potion
Funny you should mention Kurt!! I actually tried a run where I'm only allowed to use pokeballs made by Kurt. I had the idea of having it set in the past, before modern pokemon technology came to be (kind of like the fourth pokemon movie with Celebi). It's a little difficult to become invested in, though, since I decided not to use ANY regular pokeballs and wait until I got to Kurt to start catching stuff. It's hard to get attached to your team when the first two things you catch are a Zubat in Slowpoke Well and a Magikarp in Union Cave, and even if I DO power through, I end up whiting out to Silver half the time because they learn no good moves, so I just keep resetting over and over again.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
I recently came up with another potential nuzlocke ruleset idea: a Bionicle-themed nuzlocke where each party member needs to be one of the six original Toa elements: Fire, Rock, Ground, Flying, Water, and Ice. If possible, there must always be one party member representing each type, and each party member only counts for one element: a Dewgong, for instance, may represent Water OR Ice, but not both. You may not catch or use Pokemon that are not of any of these types.

The obvious difficulty of this ruleset is that Ice-type Pokemon tend to be introduced late in the game, meaning that the player is likely to have a team of five or less for a while.

celebrandas

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 3, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Ice, Steel
I came up with a new -locke variant today on my drive to campus. I call it the Slayer-locke, and it's based loosely on Gotrek and the other dwarf Slayers from the Gotrek and Felix series, as well as Warhammer Fantasy in general.

1. If it faints, it dies.
2. One catch per route.
3. One gift per area, but gifts don't count as my catch for that area.
4. All fighting-types (except those with a Psychic-typing) are Slayers. Psychics are considered wizards, and no self-respecting dwarf uses magic. This means Slayers also cannot use Psychic-type moves.
4a. All Slayers seek their Doom. A Slayer must be party leader at all times, unless I am grinding levels.
4b. Any Slayer who dies to a non-boss trainer (ie. not a team admin, E4 member, champion, or gym leader) holds a grudge against the party even in death. Either their secondary typing or a random type of move is now permanently disallowed from use in battle. The fighting-type is excused from this restriction because it makes earlier gens far too difficult.
4c. A Slayer who dies in battle with a boss trainer has achieved a Mighty Doom, and thus has no consequence for their death.
4d. All non-fighting types are companions and are excused from the Doom rule, but they have to follow the move restrictions.
5. Shinies are mutant aberrations and must be defeated. (This one is just for story reasons for the run I'm planning, and can be ignored by others if they wish.)

MorpekoPekoyama

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 22, 2019
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Dark, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Takes themselves a bit too seriously, but is otherwise friendly. It is most active in the middle of the night.
Currently I'm doing a Nuzlocke based on the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Here are the rules I found.

Edit: I'm also going to post my own version of the ruleset here in case the link ever goes dead.

Which clan are you?

Each clan is only allowed to have specific types. You can either decide on a clan yourself or go by the last number of your trainer ID. (Note: Normal and/or Dragon types can belong to any clan, due to their respective commonality or rarity. The exception is Normal/Flying types, which always belong to Windclan.)

1 or 2 - Thunderclan. Types: Electric, Fire, Fighting, Ground

3 or 4 - Windclan. Types: Flying, Fairy, Grass, Bug

5 or 6 - Riverclan. Types: Water, Ice, Steel, Rock

7 or 8 - Shadowclan. Types: Dark, Psychic, Ghost, Poison

0 or 9 - free choice or reroll

Roles:

Leader - Has an extra 8 lives to help protect their clan (you see, because warriors is about cats so they have the whole 9 lives thing going on)

Deputy - Next in line for leadership role, usually has at least one apprentice (more on that in a minute).

Healer: Only has one attacking move, all other moves are support or status effects.

Apprentices: First stage Pokemon who "train" under the Deputy. Become full-fledged "warriors" once they evolve. (if a Pokemon only has one stage, it is already considered a warrior).

Warriors: Just your standard cat Pokemon fighters. No special rules apply outside of the standard Nuzlocke ones.

Optional:

You can use Warriors naming conventions if you want to, but you don't have to because it can be frustrating if you don't have access to the Name Rater. (In the Warriors books, the characters' names would change upon receiving a different rank.)

Your first encounter doesn't have to count if the wild Pokemon's type is incompatible with your clan's. But you can also set a limit if you want to - for example if you're in Thunderclan in Viridian Forest and you want to be able to have a Pikachu on your team, you can give yourself up to 5 chances to catch one.

Dupes clause and Shiny clause can be used or not. Up to you.

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
I'm pretty fond of a 3 strikes dupes clause. I found it was too easy to abuse the normal one, but three chances allows you to get something potentially new without letting you game the system too much, since the third cannot be ignored no matter what. I also did a Blue run recently where a dupe locked out the entire route. It's basically only viable in Kanto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh though, since those are the regions where you tend to dupe out the most. It can cost you though, since in places like Kanto, even without dupes you'll probably catch everything you can in several areas by the end anyway. With the lock out rule though, it's very possible to miss stuff and have the run be less predictable.

I did a no evolving run in Platinum as well, was very interesting. My Chimchar managed to survive the whole game, but I was close to wiping to Cynthia. With this rule I was allowed to catch evolved Pokemon in the wild (such as the Quagsire that saved my ass) but it still locks you out of most of the more statistically strong Pokemon since only their pre-evos are found in the wild, meaning you can't evolve them.

LemonTea

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 26, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
I feel like I ruin Nuzlocking for myself sometimes, because once I've played with a strict ruleset adhering to anything more lenient feels like cheating. I usually run:

- Only held items allowed, no items in battle.

- Always play on set

- Extreme non-dupes clause. One attempt at catching, and one attempt only. Should I already own that pokemon or anything in its evolutionary line, I am neither allowed to catch that same pokemon or try for another catch. Considering I rarely play anything other than Kanto, Johto and Hoenn, this one is not even fun lmao.

- No gift pokemon or eggs allowed. No trading evolutions or in-game trading allowed.

- Lately, no lab-provided starter pokemon allowed. Let's face it, starters are OP AF. Instead I use the starter to grind my first catch to level 5, permabox it and go on my merry way. It's so satisfying to beat Roxanne with a Poochyena and a Zigzagoon.

Last edited:

Dancing Omastar

Jack of some trades
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
I've tried a non-grind locke and it was a ton of fun (even though I failed on my third badge). Basically you can't fight wild pokemon to gain levels. You must escape all wild battles unless it's your first encounter in the area OR your escape failed a few times. That forces you to fight all the trainers available. Personally I am never comfortable with my team level. I always feel that some more grinding could help. The non-grind locke forced me to use clever strategies in my fights (my Bibarel with Simple could max out his stats in just a few turns... including evasiveness).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)