• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Seven of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode concludes one reading and premiers another. Also, we brought back several guests for an extra long discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Roll to Dodge Roll to Dodge: Can I Really Be The GM? (Episode III: Revenge of the Six)

Thread Description
The much anticipated sequel that somebody probably asked for... maybe?

Fool

I'm Eltaba now.
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
Call me whatever you want.
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Rock
Pokédex Entry
Frequently criticizes inane video game plots, especially those involving spiky haired boys and cats.
Hello! Bringing back an oldie from the OG forums. This is a remake/sequel? (idk?) of the CIRBTGM RTD that @Alolan Floatzel started in 2016, which I think in itself was a sequel to another RTD... which I sadly believe has been lost to time (unless somebody doesn't mind digging through the depths of Tapatalk to find it, which I don't think is what most people would want to do.) I'm going to copy Floatzel's Rules from the OG for the most part, with a few subtle changes from myself, but first, a quote!

Alolan Floatzel said:
Do you like playing Roll To Dodge?

Do you also like personally determining other people's fates by random chance?

Are you tired of Roll To Dodge threads in this forum always dying out because of lack of commitment by the GM?

Well, I have got just the solution for you!

I understand that being a GM for a Roll To Dodge game is quite an undertaking, and it is difficult to keep it up for an extended period of time. This thread looks to remedy that problem! That's right - in this game of Roll To Dodge, ANYONE who is ANYONE can be the GM!

This version of RtD has been played once before in the past on this forum. If you'd like to look at it, please feel free to check it out here.

The way this works is simple: all the standard RtD rules apply, with one key difference: The GM changes every single round. As such, you are not allowed to GM two rounds in a row. If you wish to GM a round, all you have to do is call dibs in the thread; however, priority will be given to players who have never GMed a round before. Once you call dibs on a round, you have three days to post all rolls, results, and stats. If you do not resolve the round in three days, the position of GM will be handed over to another person and you will have effectively wasted your turn. If you like, you may set up events or challenges for players or the GM in the next round, within reason.
Now for the basic rules.

Welcome to the RPG where you play as yourself! You may attempt to complete any action you like, but whether or not you succeed is determined by the roll of a six-sided die.

Summary of roll results:

1 - Critical Failure - You dun messed up bro! Unfortunately for you, the opposite of what you intended to occur occurs, usually in a way that is detrimental to you. So, don't you dare try to use your debuffs to try to "not adopt a thousand dogs", because I'll definitely make it so that those thousand dogs are actually a thousand angry wolves instead. Rolling a 1 results in a -1 debuff to your next roll.

2 - Failure - Whatever you were doing, you fail. Nothing happens.

3 - Marginal Success - You succeed at whatever you were trying to do, but in a less than satisfactory or subpar fashion.

4 - Success - You succeed in completing your action. Consider it a B+.

5 - Excellent Success - You complete your action perfectly, and get a +1 buff to your next roll.

6 - Overshot - You complete your action a little too perfectly, and wind up suffering the consequences of something gone terribly right! This results in a -1 debuff to your next roll.

Now, as an example, let's pretend to make some scrambled eggs.

1 - All of your eggs hatch and grow into rabid chickens. You now have a flock of rabid chickens chasing after you.

2 - You open the carton, but all of the eggs spill onto the floor.

3 - You burn the eggs in the pan, but they're still edible! Kind of.

4 - You successfully make your scrambled eggs. Enjoy your breakfast.

5 - You cook and season your eggs perfectly. Eating them makes you feel refreshed and ready to start your day.

6 - You finish your egg masterpiece, it glows in great splendor and glory. Suddenly you feel a drip on your head, followed by lots of drips! It seems your delicious meal has attracted some very hungry racoons, and they don't look like they want to share.

Finally, if a hostile action is attempted against another object or player, they must Roll To Dodge!

For this we will be using a slightly more advanced combat system, which I believe makes combat a little more interesting.

Essentially, you roll for both combatants like so.

[2 for Offense/5 for Defense]

This allows for, in my own personal opinion, more comprehensible combat.

Combat that would result in a Tie would look like this:

[3 for Offense/3 for Defense]

With the Offense and Defense sharing the same number, they would block the attack, preventing damage on both sides.

Combat that would result in slight damage to either player would look like this:

[2 for Offense/4 for Defense] or [6 for Offense/5 for Defense]

Any attack that is within 2 numbers of either the offense or defense will result in slight damage to the respective player.

Meanwhile a Critical hit would look like this

[3 for Offense/6 for Defense] or [4 for Offense/1 for Defense]

Any attack that has a difference of 3 or higher will result in a critical hit, which more than likely equates to instant death.

1. You may direct 4th wall breaking actions at the game, the rules, the thread, or the GM, but performing those actions will only be successful if you roll a 7 (aka rolling a 5 then a 6).

2. Actions attempting to tamper with the die are prohibited.

3. No directing actions specifically at everyone posting after you. In the words of The Hero Hartmut (the OG), "You may attempt an action at the next person, or specific people, or everyone, but allowing people to target everyone after them encourages ninja posting. And that's no good."

4. Actions are rolled for in the order that they are posted, unless the GM in the round previous has said otherwise.

5. Players can only act for themselves. No making actions for other players or other entities.

1. Players wishing to GM must call dibs in thread. No player may GM two rounds in a row.

2. If a player who has never GMed before calls dibs, they receive priority.

3. GMs may create events and restrictions for players and future GMs if they so wish.

4. Rounds must be resolved within three days (72 hours) of the GM calling dibs, or else the role of GM will be passed to another player. If the GM has a reason for posting results a little bit late, they must notify everyone inthread first.

5. Remember to update with status! This includes, but is not limited to, any buffs, debuffs, injuries, and whether or not a player is dead.

To start us off with ease, I will be the GM for the first round.

Scenario:

You're sitting in your shared living room, you have just finished watching the greatest film ever conceived, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, directed by George Lucas. Your fridge is empty and the streets are busy. You feel a little hungry, and you've got about 10 bucks shared across the lot of you.

What do you do?

Last edited:

mondograss

Bard of Life
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pokémon Type
Dark, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is infamously irritable, but it comes down from its rage quickly. It is quite loyal to kind, patient Trainers.
Dibs on GMing! (GMing Round 2, actually)

Search between the seat cushions for anything edible.

Cirr

I'm a bot! (maybe)
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
beep/boop
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Fails Captchas with regularity
wear a mask

these days it's really hard to do so, after all

Aureum

A world calling for justice shall be heard.
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
He, Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
From the Country of the Ketchup Chips, Aureums are an anxious bunch with a love for games of all sorts. Batteries not included.
Look for any change around the place.

Alolan Floatzel

super high school level [redacted]
🎇Contributor
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 12, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Water, Cute
Pokédex Entry
[is baby]
i attempt to eat whoever is the last person to post this round

Zorua3

On-and-off Nuzlocker
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Dark
Pokédex Entry
I'd copy-paste the Zorua Pokedex entry, but I'm too lazy.
Take the money and go buy a pizza.

...A pineapple pizza, bc my antihero side has to pop up somewhere in this peaceful game.

LucarioOfLegends

Saint of the Church of The Holy Pluffle
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 17, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him whatever the male ones are idk
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Steel
Pokédex Entry
He fought 32 men in an Irish bar once; he is also an incredible liar.
tear up the collective 10 dollars

Fool

I'm Eltaba now.
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Rock
Pokédex Entry
Frequently criticizes inane video game plots, especially those involving spiky haired boys and cats.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Round One!
Dibs on GMing! (GMing Round 2, actually)

Search between the seat cushions for anything edible.
[6]: You search between the seat cushions and find a massive portal to the underworld in there! A skeletal hand grips tightly on your arm and tries to pull you in! You must roll to dodge!

[5 for Skeletal Pull/6 for Mondo]: You manage to shake the hand off of yourself and fall back flat on your behind. You are really shook by this turn of events. (-1 to your next roll)

wear a mask

these days it's really hard to do so, after all
[4]: You put on a kitty mask, it's very cute.

Look for any change around the place.
[5]: While looking for change around the house, you happen upon a solid 20 dollars hidden inside of some rain boots. What a lucky find! (+1 to your next roll)

i attempt to eat whoever is the last person to post this round
[1]: You attempt to eat 0 Anonymous but wind up tripping and falling towards the underworld portal that Mondo discovered under the couch cushions! You must roll to dodge!

[4 for Gravity/3 for Floatzel]: You fall into the portal and land on a platform not too far in... you hope you get back soon. (-1 to your next roll)

Take the money and go buy a pizza.

...A pineapple pizza, bc my antihero side has to pop up somewhere in this peaceful game.
[1]: You take the money and drop it towards a shredder! The money must roll to dodge!

[3 for Shredder/5 for Money]: The money is blown by a fan to the other side of the room, narrowly escaping its demise. That was way too close. (-1 to your next turn.)

tear up the collective 10 dollars
[3]: You take 5 of the dollars and attempt to rip them to shreds! The Money must roll to dodge!

[5 for Lucario/3 for Money]: You rip the bills in half and drop them on the ground, mission accomplished.

Learn the needle copy ability
[2]: You do not do this and instead mourn the loss of 5 dollars. WHY GOD! WHYYYYYY!!!

Mondo (-1 to next roll)
Cirr
Aureum (+1 to next roll)
Floatzel (-1 to next roll), also in the Underworld
Zorua (-1 to next roll)
Lucario
0 Anon

The GM for Round 2 is Mondo!

Cirr

I'm a bot! (maybe)
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
beep/boop
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
use the remaining money to buy toilet paper

not sure why we should, but apparently it's the thing to do

Aureum

A world calling for justice shall be heard.
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
He, Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
From the Country of the Ketchup Chips, Aureums are an anxious bunch with a love for games of all sorts. Batteries not included.
I’ll use my new found money to go and buy some sweet Garlic Bread.

Edit: Dibs on GMing next round!

Zorua3

On-and-off Nuzlocker
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Dark
Pokédex Entry
Buy more money!

Fool

I'm Eltaba now.
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Rock
Pokédex Entry
I go to play Animal Crossing New Horizons on the television.

MarkedInStone

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Over Mt. Silver and down in the Valley Windworks
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This POKéMON is struggling to figure out what interesting stuff he can put into his Pokédex entry.
After looking through my pantry, I find a bag of pecans stashed in the back corner. I sit down and put on an old Joni Mitchell record.

mondograss

Bard of Life
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pokémon Type
Dark, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is infamously irritable, but it comes down from its rage quickly. It is quite loyal to kind, patient Trainers.
use the remaining money to buy toilet paper

not sure why we should, but apparently it's the thing to do
[3]: Due to increasing demand for some reason, there’s not much toilet paper left at the store. You buy two rolls of the last stuff they have available.

I’ll use my new found money to go and buy some sweet Garlic Bread.

Edit: Dibs on GMing next round!
[6 + 1 = 7]: You buy sweet garlic bread, sweetened with confectioner’s sugar. It seemed like an interesting combination at first, but then you taste it.

It is divine.

You can’t believe what you’re eating. It’s just sugar on top of some garlic bread. It has no right to taste like this… ambrosia. Just by eating it, you feel strong enough to challenge the gods of luck themselves.

The sweet garlic bread is too good to keep to yourself. You treat every player in the thread to a piece of sweet garlic bread, free of charge. From now on, whenever a player rolls a 1, they will automatically consume their sweet garlic bread for a free reroll.

Pat yourself on the back for that one.

Buy more money!
[1 - 1 = 0]: You go to the bank to buy more money. It just so happens that somebody is robbing the bank at that very moment! The robber immediately takes you hostage and threatens to kill you unless the bankers hand over the money.

… Is what would have happened, but luckily, you have some sweet garlic bread on you!

Zorua eats their sweet garlic bread! Reroll!

[5 - 1 = 4]: You find some stocks that look promising, buy a few, and then quickly sell again, effectively buying yourself a handsome 10 dollars!

I go to play Animal Crossing New Horizons on the television.
[4]: You boot up Animal Crossing: New Horizons and sit down to play it. You get a couple of great starting villagers: Stinky and Cherry. Your island’s native fruit is the pear. A few of your friends have pears, too, but not that many.

flood the land with the sheer volume of my tears due to the lost cash
[5]: You lean out the window and let your copious tears fall to the earth. They do, in fact, cause the water level nearby to rise. Water slips in through the door and into the living room. Cars gently float away in your dense, salty tears. There’s plenty of water damage, and Fool undocks the Switch before something short circuits. Luckily, because the wind isn’t blowing, the land is flat, and you can only cry so much, the flood is not too dangerous to wade through. There is confusion in the busy streets, as well as great discomfort and frustration, but not panic. There is now a 2-foot-deep pool of tears surrounding and inside the house.

After looking through my pantry, I find a bag of pecans stashed in the back corner. I sit down and put on an old Joni Mitchell record.
[1]: You wade through the tears to the pantry and pull out the pecans to eat them, only to remember that you’re allergic to pecans!

… Is what would have happened, if not for your sweet garlic bread!

MarkedInStone eats their sweet garlic bread! Reroll!

[4]: You wade through the tears to the pantry and find the bag of pecans. You’re not about to eat these just yet, but you’ll hold onto them for now. You sit down, preferably on a couch elevated above the tears, and put on an old Joni Mitchell record. It helps to set the mood.

Mondo (-1 to next roll) has 1 sweet garlic bread.
Cirr has 1 sweet garlic bread.
Aureum has 1 sweet garlic bread.
Floatzel (-1 to next roll), also in the Underworld, has 1 sweet garlic bread.
Zorua
Lucario has 1 sweet garlic bread.
0 Anon (+1 to next roll) has 1 sweet garlic bread.
Fool has 1 sweet garlic bread.
MarkedInStone

@Aureum will be managing Round 3!

Last edited:

Cirr

I'm a bot! (maybe)
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
beep/boop
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
upgrade my d6 to a d20

Fool

I'm Eltaba now.
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Rock
Pokédex Entry
Grab some pears in game, and also give a real pear to Zero so they’ll stop crying.

Zorua3

On-and-off Nuzlocker
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Dark
Pokédex Entry
Oh thanks Aureum.

Ask the robber at the bank who I saw in an alternate timeline if he’ll take an apprentice.

Edit: also, I’ll DM next round.

Last edited:

mondograss

Bard of Life
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pokémon Type
Dark, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Place a sponge block to absorb the bulk of the tears inside the house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)