• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Restarting Harsh Team Choices Thread

Duke_Maniac

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Pokémon Type
Grass, Psychic
Lost 4 Pokemon going through Reversal Moutain and I need help decding my team. Also this is a no items in battle run

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
Does Krokorok have intimidate? If so, you may want to consider that to help nerf physical attackers in the future. Swanna or Jellicent could work as a fire counter, which you definitely need for Excadrill and Foongus, and I’d honestly recommend trying out Gothita for your final slot. A fighting counter would be useful for your team, and the Gothita line has some surprisingly decent bulk if you can make it to evolution.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Ok, so I'm right near the end of my Wild Shield run (I can only catch/use pokemon from the Wild Area, as well as items that I got there and not anywhere else in the game, including stores).

I had a perfect team of 6 who made it with my all the way, until... I stupidly killed my own beloved Lanturn with an Earthquake in a double battle. Marina, rest in peace...

After some serious mourning and denial, I have finally accepted my loss. I just got to Wyndon, and this is my team of 5 (which I have no plan on changing if I don't have to):
Gardevoir
Noctowl
Roserade
Mudsdale (Modest, yet with Stamina)
Skutank

And now it is time to replace my poor Lanturn. Here are all my options:

Gloom, Grimmsnarl, Perrserker, Ferrothorn, Pikachu (Quiet), Inkay, Greedent, Sigilyph, Diggersby, Gyarados (Calm).

Now the main threat I'm concerned about thanks to my bad past experiences with him, is Leon and his Charizard (which I currently have no answer for). Other major threats I consider that my team might have trouble with are the many Dragon types on both Raihan and Leon's team. I do have my Gardevoir, but sadly he isn't the best solution for many of them.

Due to this the main options I currently considered are Pikachu and Gyarados. I tend to believe using Gyarados is the best solution, though man I used this mon to death already in some many Nuzlockes. Still I made it this far, and already lost one Nuzlocke at this point before, so I'm in no position to add any more handicaps as is (using items from the wild area means Energy Root is my best healing option for example).

So long story short, who should I pick as my 6th member? Gyarados? Pikachu? Perhaps someone else entirely? Let me know what you think, and thanks in advance!

(I remind you I can't use TMs that aren't from the wild, in case that changes the answer).

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
Gyarados may be boring but I'd say it's by far the best idea. Fire is actually a pretty prominent and dangerous type in Galar, and Ground types won't help you against Charizard's Max Overgrowth.

Perrserker could also be used to hold an Occa Berry and Metal Burst it, but that's a backup solution at best and requires you to not be crit (luckily when I did this he had Battle Armor).

Did you get anything from the Lake of Outrage yet? You could get another Water type option there.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Thanks for the tip! I tend to agree. Oh Game Freak, why did you make Gyarados so powerful and yet so common :karp:?

I was actually really surprised by how useful my poor Lanturn was. Its stats don't show it, but it can be pretty useful, bulky and with a really useful typing.

Yeah I sadly used all of my encounters in the wild area. When I was fishing for that Gyarados I was actually hoping for a Drednaw. I guess I'll teach Gyarados Stone Edge, possible Ice Beam as well for the Dragon types (it is Calm after all, so At and Sp At aren't THAT different). I hate to admit it, but it is actually pretty perfect for my team in its current form.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
Gyarados will still have way more attack than special attack, and most of the Dragon types aren't 4x weak to Ice like in the old days. Also Raihan's Goodra has Thunder and Rain Dance so don't try that either. Gardevoir will suffice against Flygon and Goodra while Mudsdale can take on most of the rest of the team. Stamina against Duraludon's physical attacks will be very handy if it doesn't die before then.

If things die, Grimmsnarl is probably good (I never get this thing sadly), Raichu would be handy, and Ferrothorn tanks a lot of shit. Honestly though, the lategame in this region tends to cover Steel really well I find.

Lemurro

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 31, 2020
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Rock
Lost my Persian to the final battle with Lusamine so now I need a new member before I challenge the Pokemon league in Moon.
Crobat, Incineroar, Hariyama, Wishiwashi, and Bastiodon
Mudbray-Own Tempo,
Eevee,
Fomantis,
Lillipup,
Paras,
Sandile

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
Seeing as you don’t have any electric counter, I would strongly encourage Mudbray. Own Tempo isn’t the best ability, but it’s always served me well on them

Mr Spaz

I caught the big– OH SHIT
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
"Your Majesty" is gender neutral. (he/him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying, Ghost
I would personally suggest Fomantis. Your team seems equally ill-equipped to handle Water Types, so Fomantis would give you a check to them as well as an Electric resist.

pikamewphlosion

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, I beat Blue in HgSS, again. And I lost Pokémon to him, again. Now I need to find a way to build for the rematches with everyone. Yes, with EVERYONE

My Team:

Hibiki the female Typhlosion. Level 61. Modest, Mischievous. Blaze, @ Choice Specs (currently trained with 31 IV Spa and 252 SpA EVs)

moves:

Hyper Beam
Fire Blast
Focus Blast
Eruption

the starter. Crappy attack, UNHOLY special STAB damage, and also Garbo defensive IVs. If she dies, the run ends

Enki the male Umbreon. Level 58. Sassy, Sturdy Body. Synchronize, @ Leftovers

moves:

Payback
Rest
Flash
Sleep talk

the bulky Pokémon of the team. Flash is shockingly useful at disabling enemies and potentially getting free turns, and I need it for Cerulean Cave: Enki’s gonna hardwall Mewtwo (I just don’t think I’ll lead with him because, you know, Synchronize).

Rivvit the female Poliwrath. Level 61. Quirky, likes to run. Water Absorb, @ Choice Scarf

moves:

Ice Beam
Surf
Body Slam
Focus Blast

why Poliwrath and not Toed? Toed doesn’t get STAB Hadokens. Anyway, she’s scarfed because Lance’s Garchomp scares the bejeebus out of me. Body Slam is also a great move to spam for a Para chance on a lot of enemies

Julie the female Exeggcutor. Level 58. Quiet, Very Finicky. Chlorophyll, @ Light Clay

moves:

Psychic
Light Screen
Giga Drain
Reflect

I used up Sunny day on my now deceased Victreebel, so no SunnyBeam shenanigans. regardless, being able to halve damage to my team for 8 turns is godly (even if Blue’s exeggcutor still killed my DDnite with a mother[REDACTED] critical [DATA EXPUNGED] hit, but that wasn’t her fault).

also, for personal ruling: SET, no healing mid battle with potions. However, X items ARE allowed (I wouldn’t have beaten Blue without them)

So, here’s the question: what do I need to put on my team? I don’t want to distract from this point by adding a long list of Pokémon I have, because I’m not concerned specifically with what SPECIES I have on hand would be a good fit, but what TYPES, ROLES, MOVES, and ABILITIES will help save my team

ps: sorry for the caps, I’m on Mobile, so Italics are hard

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
Oh, so when Onix eats rocks and soil, it's fine, but when I do it, it's suddenly "an affront to nature" and "destroying Mrs. Crenshaw's zen garden"?
You have a solid Fire/Water/Grass core. The things that jump out to me is that you need a Flying and Ghost resist for Exeggutor. I don't know if one is still available, but a Steel type would be perfect. I'd lean toward a physical user since most your other Pokemon are special. Something like Steelix, Skarmory, or Scizor would be ideal, but you also have options like Magneton and Forretress. Steelix and Scizor make a good set up sweeper with Curse and Swords Dance, while Scizor and Skarmory have healing with Roost.

The last slot is a tough call. My first instinct is a Ghost since that would help you beat both Will and Bruno, but your options there are limited basically to Gengar, whose Poison subtype doesn't do you any favors. Since your Psychic user is also a Grass type, a Ground type wouldn't be bad to help beat Koga if you didnt already grab Steelix. The Nidos, Sandslash, or Golem are all good picks. I'd try and keep that last slot Physical to help keep your team balanced.

Blackstarlight17

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Has no concrete sleep schedule and is often covered in cats. If found sleeping and is needed, just smack her with a bag of frozen milky way bars.
Working on a Red run off my 3DS and have reached Celadon City. I just need help deciding whether to charge into the gym, charge into the Rocket Hideout, or do some grinding. If I do either of the former, I won't be allowed to leave the area until I've beaten it. So ideas of how far to level my team would be nice to keep them alive. Another thing to add is that I can only carry six Pokemon. I can't catch anything else until I lose someone.

Also, I would like help deciding whether to splurge my money on coins to get stuff from the Game Corner or to simply spend it on vitamins to feed my Pokemon to help them.

Jade - Level 30
Moves: Cut, Razor Leaf, Leech Seed, Poison Powder

Chestnut - Level 28
Moves: Hyper Fang, Quick Attack, Bubble Beam, Dig

Toffee - Level 25
Moves: Fly, Swift, Quick Attack, Sand Attack

Vivi - Level 28
Moves: Psybeam, Thunder Wave, Teleport, Flash

Pudding - Level 26
Moves: Confusion, Hypnosis, Mega Punch, Headbutt

Nibbles - Level 27
Moves: Hyper Fang, Quick Attack, Water Gun, Tail Whip
HM01 Cut, HM02 Fly, HM05 Flash

TM19 Seismic Toss, TM08 Body Slam, TM42 Dream Eater, TM24 Thunder Bolt, TM13 Ice Beam, TM48 Rock Slide, TM49 Tri Attack

I haven't bought any TMs at the department store, so if there are any that'd be worth getting, I'm all ears.

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
Oh, so when Onix eats rocks and soil, it's fine, but when I do it, it's suddenly "an affront to nature" and "destroying Mrs. Crenshaw's zen garden"?
My gut tells me you want to be as strong as possible for Giovanni's Kangaskhan, so I'd take on Erika first. I think Erika will be much easier to deal with since you have Flying and Psychic types, but Erika is at her most dangerous in Gen 1 due to Wrap mechanics, so don't underestimate her. I would make sure to get to at least level 30 before attempting to deal with her. Good luck!

pikamewphlosion

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
Hyper Beam could give one of your Raticates a way to tear down enemies, since Gen 1 Hyper Beam is bugged: it doesn’t need to recharge if it kills

Blackstarlight17

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Has no concrete sleep schedule and is often covered in cats. If found sleeping and is needed, just smack her with a bag of frozen milky way bars.
I'll see if I can get everyone else up to level 30, but taking Erika on might be better.

I'll also see about trying to get a Hyper Beam or two.

pikamewphlosion

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
So I’m back at the grind for the two “newest” members of the team: Scarface the Skarm (Timid Keen Eye. Not great, but it doesn’t drop Def, so whatever), and Chill Bill the Mamo (Jolly Oblivious. Now we’re cooking). Chill Bill was easy: I even went so far as to give him 252 attack EVs, 160 speed, 92 Hp (should prob move those to Def and speed later tho, cuz it be lopsided right now). He’s gonna run Ice Fang, Ice Shard, EQ, and Rock Slide (less powerful than Ow the Stone Edge, but more accurate, and I’m only really using it vs Zard anyway)

Scarface, however, has been trickier to figure out. I’m thinking of running Fly, Toxic (need to grind Battle Factory again), and Roost (only 1 TM per save, but I still have the TM) on him, but that still leaves one move slot. Some things I’m considering:

stealth rock/spikes: basic hazards. Nice damage, but since enemies don’t switch much ingame, most of its potential is hidden away.

Sandstorm: can pair nice chip with Toxic and Fly, but more important is that I can use it to Wipe away Hail vs Red. I also have another Sand immunity on the team in Chill Bill, and a sans “neutrality” on Umbreon thanks to Leftovers. However, it still causes 5 turns of chip for the other Pokémon on my team, which could be a problem

Rock Smash/Metal Sound: ways of softening the stats of an enemy so someone else can swap in later to clean them up.

Swords Dance: I’d need to grind coins for it, but it would potentially give me a way to turn a wall into a dangerous cleaner.

Steel Wing: a second STAB move that also can raise Defense. Self explanatory why this sounds like a nice option.

Rock Tomb: drops speed, if I need to swap someone else in.

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
I think either an Entry Hazard, Sandstorm, or Steel Stab are all good options, but what I would really pick is just good old Protect. Coupled with Toxic and Fly, you get tons of damage just by going full stall. It might be worth putting lefties on Skarm just for all the passive turns it would have, making it nigh unkillable.

EDIT: Substitute is also a good option, blocking status at the cost of some HP.

Last edited:

pikamewphlosion

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
If I do give lefties to Skarm, what item should I give to my Umbreon? Chople Berry? Sitrus? Lum (I’m considering dropping Flash for Heal Bell or moonlight, eventually)

Blackstarlight17

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
I've made it to Fuchsia City in my Red Nuzlocke but I'm at a bit of a loss of what I could/should do next. Mainly I wanted to get here to open more areas up. But I'm not sure whether to challenge Koga first, do the Rocket invasion on Silph Co., the Dojo, etc. I'm certain I'll need to do more grinding either way given my rules: battles are on set and I can't use items in battle being the big ones.

So any advice for levels or what I should tackle first would be greatly appreciated. Same if anyone in my team could use some TMs.

Jade - Level 33
Moves: Cut, Razor Leaf, Leech Seed, Poison Powder

Chestnut - Level 33
Moves: Hyper Fang, Quick Attack, Bubble Beam, Dig - Cannot decide whether to delete Quick Attack or Bubble Beam for Hyper Beam when I can get enough coins.

Toffee - Level 33
Moves: Fly, Swift, Quick Attack, Sand Attack - Thinking of teaching Razor Wind over Sand Attack but not entirely certain.

Vivi - Level 36
Moves: Psybeam, Thunder Wave, Recover, Flash

Pudding - Level 34
Moves: Confusion, Hypnosis, Mega Punch, Headbutt - Thinking of teaching Dream Eater, if not will teach something like Toxic in place of Hypnosis.

Storm - Level 35
Moves: Surf, Ice Beam, Body Slam, Quick Attack
HM01 Cut, HM02 Fly, HM03 Surf, HM04 Strength, HM05 Flash

TM19 Seismic Toss, TM42 Dream Eater, TM24 Thunder Bolt, TM48 Rock Slide, TM49 Tri Attack, TM21 Mega Drain, TM10 Double Edge, TM02 Razor Wind, TM07 Horn Drill, TM32 Double Team, TM37 Egg Bomb, TM40 Skull Bash

pikamewphlosion

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
Chestnut: You already have Dig to hit Rock types and Ghost types. Bubblebeam does hit Geodude and Kin harder, but if you aren’t specifically concerned about that 4x weakness, Dig will hit harder on average (remember that it’s basically EQ in Gen 1). Quick Attack, meanwhile, is STAB Priority. That’s not always needed, esp since badges make you very fast ingame, but being able to ignore Turn Order to use an attack first can really save your butt in tight spaces. Say, if you get paralyzed and need to finish off an enemy.

Toffee: Razor Wind is kinda trash: it’s a Normal move, not Flying, has low accuracy, AND it takes a turn to charge. Double Edge, despite recoil damage (and it’s 1/4 in this game and not the 1/3 of Gen III), is more powerful and more reliable. That being said, Sand Attack CAN be good cheese in Gen 1, since Acc and Evasion changes were basically double what they did in later gens. Swift is decent enough Normal damage for now, so I’d suggest leaving Sand Attack open until you Find a different move you want: Mirror Move or Sky Attack would be my suggestions to consider.

Pudding: If you could use X accuracy, moves would never miss. Ever. You could combine that with Hypnosis and Dream Eater to just sap away enemies. but since you don’t use X items, Hypnosis is still a solid option, but ultimately the question is: do YOU feel safe clicking that move? If you feel too scared to ever use it, the moveslot is wasted. Toxic doesn’t neuter enemies anywhere near as badly as Hypnosis, and it still isn’t a guaranteed land, but again, you have to decide how low of accuracy you are happy with.

As for battles, I suggest you go to the Dojo first, THEN Koga, THEN Silph. Your team has a very good matchup vs Fighting types, so you have a safe method of getting a few extra levels in. You should wait until the late 30s at a minimum for Koga: his Clouds can go boom, which is not safe for your team. Silph tower I suggest saving for last, BUT you can go in there once in awhile to pick off the grunts, who are somewhat low leveled (they didn’t want kids accidentally wiping to them before fighting Erika, I suppose)

Aaaaand as much as I’m hogging the thread, my team lost ANOTHER Pokémon: this time my dual screener Exeggcutor. I got killed because my Electric counter, Mamo, wasn’t strong enough yet for me to feel safe bringing him in on Amphy, in case it use a Signal on the switch. When it used Charge, I got cocky and thought it wouldn’t use it.

I was wrong

I’m just gonna list options this time around, because I just want to get back to making things work (thank Arceus for Gym Leader rematches: speeds the grind SO much)

Lucas, Level 35 Latios. Serious, Likes to Thrash About (seems like perfect attack and SpA, but he’s an Uber, so I’m not sure about this cheese, even if his typing meshes well)

Volkrum, Level 23 Electrode. Modest, Somewhat Stubborn. Soundproof (kinda crummy IVs bar SpD, but he’s still real fast. Like, maybe fast enough to outrun a Gyarados after DD fast)

Pixy, level 49 Crobat. Impish, Good Endurance

Ko, Level 50 Articuno. Rash, hates to lose

Otsu, level 50 Zapdos. Docile, highly curious (good stats, but killed my Furret... but also got in the very next Pokeball, so)

Chopper, level 20 Hoppip. Jolly, Very finicky. Chlorophyll (Really only listed because +speed nature is nice, and unique typing)

Starseeker, Level 8 Clefairy. Modest, Mischievous (perfect SpA). Magic Guard

Soot, level 14 Koffing. Sassy, Sturdy Body, Levitate.

Other options: I haven’t gone to Route 28, Mt Silver, or Mt Silver Cave yet, so I can still get:

Sneasel/Weavile

Dodrio (I have a Doduo, but Sassy stinks)

Rapidash

Larvitar

Moltres

and I still plan to CATCH Mewtwo, although I’m not sure about using it (oddly, I’m more willing to consider it than Latios, just for story rationale)

Edit: well, I can also get a Mr Mime or Porygon from the Celadon Game Corner

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)