• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Restarting Harsh Team Choices Thread

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
Oh, so when Onix eats rocks and soil, it's fine, but when I do it, it's suddenly "an affront to nature" and "destroying Mrs. Crenshaw's zen garden"?
And the GameCorner, I don't really mind grinding a bit as it'll be a bit of a break from actual grinding and taking notes. So if I get lucky with getting coins, might go for possibly Cubone since it's an odd one. Abra is good, but if I do go for Espeon, it'll be kind of moot, plus I won't have any way to evolve it into Alakazam.
Cubone sounds like fun! Even if you can't evolve it, don't disqualify Kadabra. Gen 2 was one of the line's best gens since the Elemental punches counted as special attacks.

Blackstarlight17

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Has no concrete sleep schedule and is often covered in cats. If found sleeping and is needed, just smack her with a bag of frozen milky way bars.
Cubone sounds like fun! Even if you can't evolve it, don't disqualify Kadabra. Gen 2 was one of the line's best gens since the Elemental punches counted as special attacks.

That's true, not saying Kadabra can't be useful but I've used Abra and Kadabra enough rather go for something different. I haven't used Cubone enough and while Wobbufett would be interesting, relying on their defenses might be too risky.

I could always hold off getting a game corner prize and simply grind the coins every now and again to at least get TMs from it and go from there.

Blackstarlight17

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Has no concrete sleep schedule and is often covered in cats. If found sleeping and is needed, just smack her with a bag of frozen milky way bars.
Okay, got further in my Crystal run and now about to tackle the Rocket Hideout in Mahogany Town, and right after, it's Pryce. Therefore, I'd like some advice on whether or not my team needs improving from levels, moves, to actually swapping any of them around for those events.

Aster - Female - Level 29
Moves: Bite, Surf, Ice Punch, Cut (I only taught her Cut because I found I needed it to access some areas, mostly items to get extra money to buy what I'd need.)
Item: Mystic Water

Alfalfa - Male - Level 28
Moves: Take Down, Strength, Defense Curl, Mud-Slap
Item: Soft Sand

Lonicera - Male - Level 28
Moves: Strength, Faint Attack, Headbutt, Dig
Item: Paralyze Cure Berry

Nymphea - Female - Level 26
Moves: Headbutt, Swift, Sweet Kiss, Fly
Item: Berry

Wisteria - Female - Level 28
Moves: Headbutt, Dizzy Punch, Sing, Charm
Item: n/a

Mayflower - Female - Level 31
Moves: Bite, Leech Life, Wing Attack, Confuse Ray
Item: Bitter Berry

Lotus - Female - Level 6
Moves: Curse, Tackle, Growl

Dianthus - Female - Level 12
Moves: Sing, Defense Curl, Pound

Amaryllis - Male - Level 12
Moves: Tackle, Scary Face, Tail Whip, Charm

Peony - Female - Level 4
Moves: Tackle, Growl

Foxglove - Female - Level 11
Moves: Tackle, Disable, Foresight, Supersonic

Saponaria - Male - Level 20
Moves: Tackle, Harden, Bubble, Recover

Gladiolus - Male - Level 10
Moves: Tackle, Leer, Horn Attack

Cyclamen - ... - Level 20
Moves: Harden, Water Gun, Rapid Spin, Recover

Polemonium - Male - Level 20
Moves: Poison Sting, Supersonic, Constrict

Nepeta - Male - Level 10
Moves: Scratch, Tail Whip, Sand Attack

Gaillardia - Male - Level 10
Moves: Tackle, Protect, Selfdestruct

Bouvardia - Male - Level 30
Moves: Thrash, Bite, Dragon Rage, Leer
Miracle Seed, Quick Claw, Magnet, PP UP x1, Ice Berry x6, Bitter Berry x4, Mint Berry x2, Paralyze Cure Berry x7, Poison Cure Berry x5
Dynamic Punch, Rollout, Rock Smash, Sweet Scent, Snore, Iron Tail, Shadow Ball, Fury Cutter, Cut, Fly, Surf, Strength, Flash

I'm thinking of possibly teaching Shadow Ball to Nymphea.

11wildy

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2020
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Considering you have 3 normal types and 2 flying types I would suggest taking out 2 of your normals, preferably Togetic and Cleffa, but any other choice is fine too. Could also keep Togetic and another Normal if you take out Golbat and add in Tentacool as your Poison.

I like Tentacruel a lot, but Stary or Gyarados are good too. If you want to be creative, go use that Corsola! Also I think it is better to have 2 water types than 2 normal types, because water is not resisted much and Surf as an HM. Plus you can have multiple secondary types!

Blackstarlight17

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Considering you have 3 normal types and 2 flying types I would suggest taking out 2 of your normals, preferably Togetic and Cleffa, but any other choice is fine too. Could also keep Togetic and another Normal if you take out Golbat and add in Tentacool as your Poison.

I like Tentacruel a lot, but Stary or Gyarados are good too. If you want to be creative, go use that Corsola! Also I think it is better to have 2 water types than 2 normal types, because water is not resisted much and Surf as an HM. Plus you can have multiple secondary types!

That's true, I've only been carrying the Wisteria because it was suggested, likely for the elemental punches to give her diversity in attacks.

With Nymphea, I more or less took her out because I not only needed a flyer but lost a Magnemite earlier. And since I have her in the team, I didn't want to stop training her in case I hit a sticky situation where she could come in handy. But I plan to re-box her once Mayflower evolves into a Crobat. Give her a break.

I'll try training either my Staryu or Corsola, though the former might be a bit harder without a water stone. Thankfully I did get a phone number where I could get one as a gift so it hopefully won't take to long. But if I do get one, I'll at least have a psychic type for the team. The Gyarados may be more or less a last resort because they're often pretty dang powerful.

11wildy

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2020
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Once Cleffa becomes Clefable that'd surely be solid though!
If you want to be cheesy, there's a trick with your mom that allows you to get more phone calls, I think by switching DST. Maybe look into that for a water stone :)

Blackstarlight17

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Maybe, but don't want to abuse it either if it can be helped.

Sirwallaby

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
I have a full team in gold plus extra team members, including a full trio of Tauros, miltank and stantler.

I also happen to have an abra that I could train up. I don't need another extra team member and I don't need the pyschic typing even if it could be useful but I'm also not sure if I should train them up and use them or not anyways. I don't think I'd be bringing them into the elite four anyways, though I do think I'll be going through kanto so they could see some use there. I'm also past Chuck so there isn't a gym that they would be super effective against coming up and I don't know if they'd be useful for those gyms or not.

(Bear in mind I can't get an alakazam as I don't have a second gameboy or a link cable and my copy of gold is a physical cartridge unlike my copies of crystal and silver.)

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
Oh, so when Onix eats rocks and soil, it's fine, but when I do it, it's suddenly "an affront to nature" and "destroying Mrs. Crenshaw's zen garden"?
I have a full team in gold plus extra team members, including a full trio of Tauros, miltank and stantler.

I also happen to have an abra that I could train up. I don't need another extra team member and I don't need the pyschic typing even if it could be useful but I'm also not sure if I should train them up and use them or not anyways. I don't think I'd be bringing them into the elite four anyways, though I do think I'll be going through kanto so they could see some use there. I'm also past Chuck so there isn't a gym that they would be super effective against coming up and I don't know if they'd be useful for those gyms or not.

(Bear in mind I can't get an alakazam as I don't have a second gameboy or a link cable and my copy of gold is a physical cartridge unlike my copies of crystal and silver.)
I think evolving the Abra and then putting it and one of the normal types in the Daycare will help keep them at a useful level in case you have something that faints or you want to use them later on.

RadiantBeam

Evil Good
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water
Could use some team advice. I'm up to Meteor Falls for my Alpha Sapphire run, and since I caught a Zubat at Granite Cave Lunatone was basically my only catch option, and now I have a bit of a dilemma. The current team:

Marshtomp, level 29, holding Soft Sand: Bide, Mud Shot, Water Gun, Mud Bomb
Loudred, level 29, holding Silk Scarf: Stomp, Echoed Voice, Screech, Rock Smash
Swalot, level 28, holding Expert Belt: Yawn, Toxic, Sludge, Acid Spray
Numel, level 28, no item right now: Flame Burst, Lava Plume, Focus Energy, Earth Power
Golem, level 28, holding Hard Stone: Rock Throw, Rock Polish, Bulldoze, Smackdown
Swablu, level 28, no item right now: Safeguard, Refresh, Mist, Round

I've got... a lot of Ground typing. On one hand, swapping out Golem for Lunatone would give me a Psychic type while keeping my Rock type, but right now besides Cosplay Pikachu I don't have a good counter to Winona and Golem's been an excellent team mate. Would it make sense to swap, or should I keep what I have for now?

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
You do have a lot of Ground types, but their secondary typing means that they dont have any one weakness in common. The big problem I see is you have 3 weaknesses to Ground and Water, and only one resistance each (assuming Swablu evolves). Lunatone does provide a useful Ground immunity, but doesn't help your matchup with the Water types common in the late game. You could swap in Pika to help with that, or see if you get a useful Electric or Grass type on Route 118 after beating Norman. Grass is better as its another Ground resist. If you're gonna swap, I'd swap for Numel as I think Golem helps with Wynona and Norman.

RadiantBeam

Evil Good
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water
Yeah, my biggest concern by far this run is I don't have an easy counter to Water type Pokemon and I have a lot of weaknesses to them, and they start getting distressingly common past a point in the game. That said I think I should be pretty close to whenever Wattson asks you to go to the power plant? My memory of the exact plot progression in this game is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure I can get an Electric type there as well.

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
I was gonna recommend getting an electric type at New Mauville, but in the remakes they pushed that back to after you beat Kyogre. I still think an Oddish or Tropius would be better for you.

RadiantBeam

Evil Good
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water
Darn, they moved that to the post game? Drat. Guess I'll have to hold out for a route catch for either Electric or Grass, then.

RadiantBeam

Evil Good
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water
Apologies for the double post (?) but an update: I did get Lileep revived, and the game counts meeting him as an encounter in Rustboro City, so I'm going to box the Numel and try to raise this guy up and hope he survives long enough to be useful. Thanks for the input!

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
I was gonna recommend getting an electric type at New Mauville, but in the remakes they pushed that back to after you beat Kyogre. I still think an Oddish or Tropius would be better for you.
Nah you can still wander around the opening tiny section and get your encounter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)