• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Seven of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode concludes one reading and premiers another. Also, we brought back several guests for an extra long discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Restarting Harsh Team Choices Thread

pikamewphlosion

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
I'm admittedly not sure if I'm going about this the right way, but I haven't seen the thread ported over, and it's a useful resource, so I figured it'd be a good idea to get it running again

...and also because I have a team question myself...

So, I just beat Cyrus and Giratina, and my team... took a thrashing...

Here’s what I have left:
Glenn, Level 47 Empoleon Male. Rash, Alert to Sounds
Surf
Ice Beam
Flash Cannon
Aqua Jet

Patriot, Level 45 Rampardos Male. Careful, Sturdy Body
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Rock Polish
Fire Punch

Convoy, Level 44 Hippowdon Female. Impish, Sturdy Body.
Earthquake
Clandestine Cobbelstones
Strength
Rock Smash (both HMs are leftover from climbing Mt Coronet)

Ludo, Level 45 Raichu Male. Timid, Quick Tempered.
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast
Grass Knot
Nasty Plot

Hughby, Level 16 Bibarel Male. Impish, Often Dozes off. Unaware (more listed since he's my first catch. I like bibarel, but his typing seems to stack weaknesses too much with my team)

Larry, Level 28 Togetic. Rash, Good perseverance. Serene Grace

Blaze, Level 26 Flareon. Quirky, strong willed

Lion-O, Level 30 Luxray. Docile, Good Endurance, Rivalry

Sorrow, Level 17 Duskull. Careful, Quick to Flee

Bo, Level 25 Wingull. Modest, Alert to sounds (I still have the Tm for shock wave, too, so a Choice Specs Set isn’t out of the question)

Gwen, Level 33 Yanmega. Docile, Capable of Taking Hits. Tinted Lens

Spime, Level 29 Mr Mime. Sassy, Somewhat stubborn. Soundproof

Icenhower, Level 32 Snover. Modest, quick to flee

Erazor, Level 40 Medicham. Careful, Good Perseverance

Elder, Level 47 Giratina. Careful, Likes to Thrash about

Skittlez, Level 40 Dusclops. Hasty, Sturdy Body

Marcel, Level 43 Gardevoir. Bashful, Likes to Run. Synchronize

Eliza, Level 38 Chatot. Naughty, Often scatters things. Tangled Feet

While I have used some single use tms, assume that a move that’d be helpful is available unless otherwise specified

If I should wait for certain moves on a Pokémon before evolving, that is also key info.

Heart scales and money are no object

Set battle style, no healing with potions during battles, and no leaving a gym or using potions in a gym until the gym leader is defeated.

Xerxos

xerx gon give it to ya
Tech Team
🎇Contributor
Globetrotter
Team Omega
Nuzlocke Master
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 14, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Pokédex Entry
Just a guy who does way too many Nuzlockes but never documents them.
It's probably good to restart this thread even though it will be ported over, since the old one was sorta ginormous and there's nothing to really lose from making a new version.

You've got Volkner covered with Hippowdon, so you'll just have to worry about the Elite Four. Aaron's literally never difficult unless his Yanmega becomes unhittable with Double Team, but Hippowdon and Rampardos should trivialize that battle anyway. Bertha might be a bit tricky since your Water-type is weak to Ground, but she's usually not too bad, especially since your Hippowdon can be used as a good pivot. Flint's also usually pretty easy, Empoleon and Hippowdon should be able to take him down, with Rampardos maybe being able to come in and help. Now for the actually difficult battles...

Lucian: I'd suggest slotting in Gardevoir and setting up with Calm Mind on Lucian's Mr. Mime. Wish should keep it healthy, since Mime can only really hurt you with non-STAB Thunderbolt onto an ever-increasing Special Defense stat. Then, just go ahead and sweep with Shadow Ball.
Cynthia: Spiritomb can't really touch Empoleon, so take it out with two Surfs. Lucario will probably come out next, so switch into Gardevoir to tank the Aura Sphere and then Togekiss for the Shadow Ball. It'll probably outspeed and go for Stone Edge, so you can either risk it and go for the Aura Sphere, or you can go out to Hippowdon for the clean-ish switch and KO with Earthquake. Togekiss should be able to take care of Roserade, but watch out for Sludge Bomb, since it'll do nasty damage. Raichu can beat Togekiss, and Ice Fang Hippowdon should be able to take out Garchomp, though be careful of Sand Veil raising its evasion. As for Milotic... well, it depends on who you have out at the time. You might have to end up going for a Toxic and just stalling it out.

Empoleon
@Mystic Water/NeverMeltIce/Shell Bell/Choice Specs
- Surf
- Flash Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Brine/Toxic/Rain Dance

Rampardos
@Hard Stone/Wide Lens
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Rock Polish

Hippowdon
@Soft Sand/Shell Bell/Wide Lens
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge/Crunch
- Ice Fang

Gardevoir
@Shell Bell/Spell Tag/Mind Plate/Choice Specs
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Wish/Screens
- Thunderbolt/Magical Leaf/Screens

Togekiss
@Sky Plate/Fist Plate/Choice Specs
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost
- Flamethrower

pikamewphlosion

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you. I didn’t even realize Gardevoir learned Wish by Level Up. Granted, I’ve actually used the Roost Tm already... but Togekiss can learn wish as well. Should I teach that, or give him another coverage move?

MarkedInStone

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Over Mt. Silver and down in the Valley Windworks
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This POKéMON is struggling to figure out what interesting stuff he can put into his Pokédex entry.
I'm in the middle of a HeartGold Nuzlocke and I just lost my Nidoqueen, Duchess, in the Blackthorn Gym. I still haven't gotten to Clair, but Nidoqueen was the 'mon with Ice Beam, and so losing it was a bit of a blow.

So here's what I'm working with now. (My rules include the no-deposit clause, so a team member cannot be boxed- that's why Ariados is still there)

Harper, Meganium, Lv. 35 @ Miracle Seed (Return, Magical Leaf, Reflect, PoisonPowder)
Spinner, Ariados, Lv. 34 @ Shell Bell (Sludge Bomb, Sucker Punch, Shadow Sneak, Night Shade)
Hilde, Golem, Lv. 35 @ Bright Powder (Earthquake, Rock Blast, Rock Polish, Strength)
Stella, Slowking, Lv. 35 @ Oran Berry (Surf, Zen Headbutt, Yawn, Shadow Ball)
Jones, Arcanine, Lv. 35 @ Amulet Coin (Flamethrower, Crunch, Sunny Day, Roar)

Box:
Cassius, Gastly, Lv. 4
Saoirse, Wooper, Lv. 6
(Togepi Egg)
Koi, Magikarp, Lv. 10
Sanders, Sandshrew, Lv. 6
Vespa, Zubat, Lv. 6
Donna, Oddish, Lv. 5
Whirle, Poliwag, Lv. 16
Vivi, Drowzee, Lv. 10
Stagley, Pinsir, Lv. 13
Duke, Nidoran, Lv. 12
Scout, Sentret, Lv. 15
Mimic, Sudowoodo, Lv. 20
Methane, Koffing, Lv. 14
Buster, Machop, Lv. 14
Tesla, Flaaffy, Lv. 17
Triple-A, Magnemite, Lv. 16
Cookie, Krabby, Lv. 20
Pacific, Corsola, Lv. 20
Tanguy, Tentacruel, Lv. 20
Poppyseed, Pidgey, Lv. 16
Kublai, Kangaskhan, Lv. 17
Kanto, Grimer, Lv. 17
Rick, Voltorb, Lv. 23
Olivia, Swinub, Lv. 21

I still don't have a Route 44 or 45 encounter. Assume all TMs obtainable up until Blackthorn Gym are still usable except for Shadow Claw, Dig, Pluck, Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, and Sunny Day.

Update: Route 45 catch: Neil, Phanpy, Lv. 21.
Team leveled up to ~Lv. 36.
Also- have not obtained Eevee.

Last edited:

CasualGameFreak

Discord Resident Extraordinaire
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Grass
Pokédex Entry
Despite being a Grass-type, Casual is a flaming lesbian. Fire and Grass don't usually mix, but somehow it works out here.
After some thought I narrowed it down to Tesla as the one to take going forward. You could use some anti-Water and anti-Flying given what you've got coming up, and Tesla handles both of those without having to fear Ice moves.

As for Clair herself, my thought is to give Stella the Ice Beam TM (if you're willing, anyway, seems she has a pretty good moveset already) and have her handle the Dragonair, as she resists both of their possible coverage moves. She or Harper can outlast Kingdra barring Hyper Beam crits, and Tesla can easily take out a Gyarados that has no STAB.

MarkedInStone

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Over Mt. Silver and down in the Valley Windworks
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This POKéMON is struggling to figure out what interesting stuff he can put into his Pokédex entry.
Thanks so much!

So I liked the idea of an Electric-type, but I chose Magnemite (which I traded to Platinum to evolve into Magnezone) just because I was a little Ampharos-fatigued.

I beat Clair, too! Fun fact- Slowking learns Nasty Plot at Lv. 39, and at +6 holding NeverMeltIce, Stella *ONESHOT* Kingdra with Ice Beam.

pikamewphlosion

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
So, apparently, while Ninetales can learn Energy Ball in Gen IV, and it’s a TM in Gen IV, Ninetales can’t use the TM for Energy Ball: only via breeding

Yeah. Now I gotta figure out what to do with Misha here, since that’s 20 hours of BP grinding in the Factory out the window (oh well, I’ll take Gen IV Battle Factory over PWT rentals any day)

Edit: I’m currently preparing for Misty. All I have left to face is her, Blaine, Blue, Suicune, Ho oh (and potentially rematch Lucia to try and actually catch it. Not to use, but for the sake of completion), Possibly catch Latios, face Mewtwo (Nevermore should cheese it), the last 1 or two matches with silver, the league rematches (another maybe) and finally, Red himself.

In hindsight, that’s a lot, but it’s more or less a boss rush from here to the end

Misha’s Current set:
Flamethrower, Dark Pulse, Nasty Plot, Will o Wisp
splits between nuisance and Sweeper

Possible alternative: either sunny day, or double dance
Flamethrower/Fire Blast, Sunny Day, Dark Pulse/Nasty Plot, Solar Beam

Set 2 under consideration. I have Feraligatr on my team, so I’m not super sure if nerfing his STAB is a great idea, but it does help her a lot, and other than the Gatr, the rest of my team doesn’t mind either way

I wanna talk about the rest of my team, too, tho:

Elvis the Nidoking. Careful, Poison point

Considering:

EQ, Rock Slide, Clandestine Cobblestones, Rock Climb/Ice Punch/Superpower/Super Fang/etc

Rambo the male Ampharos. Sassy

Currently rocking Discharge, Focus Blast, Signal Beam, Hyper Beam with Choice Specs

Nevermore the female Honchkrow. Neutral nature, super luck, godly speed and SpA ivs, trash elsewhere

Dark Pulse, Wing Attack, night Slash, Psychic

May consider Superpower, Heat Wave, Air Cutter, and the like

Dassault the Calm Male Fearow.

Return, Fly, Drill Peck, Mirror Move

Not sure what to do with him. Statwise he’s meh, but STAB Return hits pretty hard in HGSS

Potez the male Feraligatr. Naughty, carrying enough EVs to outrun all ingame Pidgeot of equal or lower level

Currently has: Waterfall, Swords Dance, Crunch, Ice Fang. Has leftovers

Considering:

Option 1: swap Ice Fang for Ice Punch

Option 2: get rid of both nommin moves to get Agility back for a double dancer, and just run neutral coverage with Waterfall and Return.

Last edited:

Sirwallaby

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
I'm doing a wedlocke (set mode, no buying items, no switching pairs out unless they die, no running from battles, and I can't train higher than the next gym leader's ace) and I need to replace a pair.

Whismur [Sassy, Soundproof]
Magikarp [Brave, swift swim]
Minun [mild, minus]
Cosplay pikachu [quirky, lightning rod]

Next gym is Wattson, and I only have one pair that could really fight him, but doesn't have anything good for him.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
Since you said Cosplay Pikachu, I can only say this is ORAS. Whismur is a good option since Loudred gets Bulldoze from the TM in Mauville. You've given no information on the rest of your team or even the genders of your box, so there isn't much more to say.

Sirwallaby

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
The genders don't matter (I'm running a wedlocke that allows pokemon to pair, regardless of gender, including pokemon like magnemite) but cosplay pikachu is the only girl in the box and I have considered using her.
Also, omega ruby, and not alpha sapphire, which I did forget to put down earlier, in case that makes a difference.

As for the rest of the team, I have a grovyle/mightyena pair, and a dustox/Wingull pair that I have to keep on the team.

Mightyena has thunder fang/snarl/sand attack/bite (and intimidate)
And grovyle has rock tomb/fury cutter/mega drain/quick attack

I am allowed to purchase tms and pokeballs, but nothing else as of now, so limited healing items, repels and the like. I could plant some berries if need be however, so if making sure I have enough Cheri berries for the team and the like, is something I can do.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
I second Arbitrary for Whismur here, and if you are thinking long term how about that Magikarp. True it won't learn anything major before Flannery if you are limited to her Ace's level, but it is still a rather good backup and could work well with Whismur.

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
Oh, so when Onix eats rocks and soil, it's fine, but when I do it, it's suddenly "an affront to nature" and "destroying Mrs. Crenshaw's zen garden"?
I'm doing a wedlocke (set mode, no buying items, no switching pairs out unless they die, no running from battles, and I can't train higher than the next gym leader's ace) and I need to replace a pair.

Whismur [Sassy, Soundproof]
Magikarp [Brave, swift swim]
Minun [mild, minus]
Cosplay pikachu [quirky, lightning rod]

Next gym is Wattson, and I only have one pair that could really fight him, but doesn't have anything good for him.
I think Whismur/Pikachu is the way you want to go if you're really worried about this next battle. You have Wingull, so Flannery isn't enough of a threat to justify slogging through getting Magikarp to Gyarados. Cosplay Pika also can make use of the Light Ball that you get after Fortree, keeping it relevant longer than Minun. I recommend changing it to Pika Belle as Icicle Spear at least does neutral damage on Voltorb with a chance of flinching.

The other things you may want to do is make sure you got the Soft Sand from the kid on the beach south of Slateport if you haven't already, and teach your Grovyle Grass Pledge from the tutor in Mauville (it has higher Base Power than Mega Drain but doesn't heal, so there is some trade off).

Last edited:

Sirwallaby

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
I went whismur/pikachu, and got some of the moves suggested and they did excellently, so thank you for the advice.

I'm trying to decide who I should give my toxic tm to in my leaf green poison monolocke.
(My highest team mate is 43 so it is possible some of them might learn a move worth keeping in the future and I'm planning to fight Blaine next, and then Sabrina. I'm pretty sure I already fought rocket again, and the fighting dojo but I plan to check on that later.)

Persephone
Female Tentacruel. Clear body/Bold Lv.38 and rising. [None]
[Acid/Barrier/Surf/wrap]

Tobias
Male venomoth. Shield dust/Gentle Lv.43 [none]
Aerial ace/psybeam/poisonpowder/leech life

Brandy
Male haunter. Levitate/Adamant lv.42 [none]
[Hypnosis/shadow punch/night shade/psychic]
*I don't have a second gameboy so I can't evolve him.

Papaya
Male venusaur. Overgrow/Quirky lv.41 [none]
[Giga drain/poisonpowder/leech seed/return]

Delilah
Female muk I spent five months fishing in a pond for. Stench/Hasty Lv.42 [none]
[Sludge/minimize/dig/brick break]

Rosalee
Female nidoqueen. Poison point/Sassy Lv.42 [blackglasses]
[Rock slide/dig/bite/surf]

Roar
Toxic
Sunny day
Taunt
Light screen
Rain dance
Safeguard
Frustration
Double team
Reflect
Shock wave
Rest
Attract
Steel wing
Snatch

(Of the hms I have cut, surf and fly, and none of the others.)
For some reason the only other item I own is a quick claw. I'm not sure why I haven't gotten my hands on any others yet.

pikamewphlosion

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
I don’t know if you really NEED to give Toxic to anyone, but Tentacruel and Muk are the two best candidate: I’d suggest Muk, since it has a pretty shallow physical Movepool in this game

Meanwhile, in Ultra Sun, after beating Mimikyu and having a close call trying to catch a Haunter, I’ve come to realize my team is too slow. Problem is, I don’t know who to drop, and what to look for in a replacemen:

main team:

Sanka the Modest Butterfree. Level 37

Milo the Jolly Incineroar. Level 37

Megatron the Modest Magnezone, Sturdy. Level 38

Hope the Modest Sylveon. Level 37

Maxwell the Brave Hariyama, Guts. Level 35

Sir Robin the Naughty (perfect Attack IV) Golisopod. Level 36

I got a lot of stuff in the box, so I’d rather here what you think an IDEAL replacement would be, rather than me coloring your perceptions

Blackstarlight17

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Has no concrete sleep schedule and is often covered in cats. If found sleeping and is needed, just smack her with a bag of frozen milky way bars.
I found my copy of X and realized I never finished the run. Most of the notes I had are gone, so turning into a story or whatever is slim, but it'd be nice to at least finish it so my team can be transferred to the Poké Bank.

I arrived at the Pokémon League but before I tackle them, I could really use advice from levels, moves, swapping teammates out, etc. Better safe than sorry, right?

Ones in colored bold are who I'm thinking of taking with me based on levels and who's been working so far.

Compound Eyes - Bold, Mischievous - Female - Level 73
Moves: Draining Kiss, Hurricane, Bug Buzz, Psybeam - I think her move set could use some work, Psybeam and Draining Kiss mostly.
Item: Leftovers - I may switch it out for either Big Root if Draining Kiss will be suitable to keep and use, or a Zoom Lens to ensure she hits as she hits hard.

Huge Power - Rash, Mischievous - Male - Level 77
Moves: Surf, Return, Play Rough, Waterfall - I'm thinking of removing Surf and replacing it either with Aqua Tail or Ice Beam.
Item: Splash Plate

Inner Focus - Adamant, Takes Plenty of Siestas - Female - Level 72
Moves: Extreme Speed, Dragon Pulse, Return, Aura Sphere - I may swap Extreme Speed and maybe Return to better balance her if possible.
Item: Black Belt - I may swap for Lucarionite if not another item that may be better suited for her.

Infiltrator - Naughty, Takes plenty of siestas - Female - Level 73
Moves: Signal Beam, Shadow Ball, Psychic, Thunderbolt
Item: Mind Plate

Flower Veil - Adamant, Often lost in thought - Female - Level 66
Moves: Misty Terrain, Moonblast, Dazzling Gleam, Petal Blizzard.
Item: Pixie Plate

Immunity - Modest, Capable of taking hits - Female - Level 74
Moves: Brick Break, X-Scissor, Slash, Strength - Deciding whether to replace Slash, Strength, or both with Return and possibly another move like Shadow Claw.
Item: King's Rock

Sand Veil - Rash, Somewhat vain - Male - Level 40
Moves: Volt Switch, Bulldoze, Thunderbolt, Parabolic Charge
Item: Zap Plate

Hyper Cutter - Careful, Quick tempered - Level 45
Moves: Feint Attack, Rock Tomb, Crunch, Iron Defense
Item: Metal Coat

Refrigerate - Adamant, Impetuous and silly - Male - Level 40
Moves: Icy Wind, Round, Ancient Power, Aurora Beam
Item: Hard Stone

Wonder Skin - Bold, Mischievous - Male - Level 49
Moves: Fly, Psychic, Air Cutter, Psybeam
Item: Rocky Helmet

Battle Armor - Naughty, Quick to flee - Level 41
Moves: Aerial Ace, Poison Fang, Venoshock, Night Slash
Item: Black Sludge

Defiant - Naive, Often lost in thought - Male - Level 58
Moves: Night Slash, Iron Head, Rock Smash, Cut
Item: Quick Claw

Snow Warning - Hasty, Likes to thrash about - Male - Level 39
Moves: Mist, Ice Shard, Ingrain, Wood Hammer
Item: Abomasite

Super Luck - Serious, Takes plenty of siestas - Female - Level 18
Moves: Astonish, Pursuit, Haze, Wing Attack
Item: Sharp Beak

I'd rather keep this guy as a last resort if I'm almost down to less than ten or so Pokémon.
Fairy Aura - Bashful, Takes plenty of siestas - Level 50
Moves: Gravity, Geomancy, Moonblast, Megahorn
Item: Twisted Spoon

Infiltrator - Quiet, Quick to flee - Male - Level 44
Moves: Razor Wind, Tailwind, Whirlwind, Super Fang
Item: Macho Brace

Hone Claws, Dragon Claw, Calm Mind, Toxic, Venoshock, Hidden Power, Taunt, Ice Beam, Protect, Frustration, Solar Beam, Thunderbolt, Return, Shadow Ball, Brick Break, Double Team, Flamethrower, Rock Tomb, Aerial Ace, Torment, Facade, Flame Charge, Attract, Thief, Low Sweep, Echoed Voice, False Swipe, Scald, Charge Beam, Will-O-Wisp, Acrobatics, Shadow Claw, Payback, Rock Polish, Flash, Thunder Wave, Struggle Bug, Psych Up, Bulldoze, Frost Breath, X-Scissor, Dragon Tail, Infestation, Grass Knot, U-Turn, Substitute, Rock Smash, Snarl, Nature Power, Power-Up Punch, Dazzling Gleam

Cut, Fly, Surf, Strength, Waterfall

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
Oh, so when Onix eats rocks and soil, it's fine, but when I do it, it's suddenly "an affront to nature" and "destroying Mrs. Crenshaw's zen garden"?
The highest level 'mon you'll see in the Elite Four is Diantha's Level 68 Mega Gardevoir, so you seem to be in a good spot level wise, I don't see much reason to train up something different. Maybe go for an even 75 just to have a nice round number. I do see you've only highlighted 5 'mons. While it's closest level wise, I don't see much reason to go in with two fairies with Florges. I think your best bet for that 6th slot is Drapion. I think your biggest obstacle is Wikstrom, and Drapion helps you deal better with his Aegislash and Diantha's Gardevoir.

I also recommend running back to Route 22 and getting the Earthquake TM, and the Poison Jab TM from Shalour City. You might also consider the Rock Slide TM in Couriway Town, which will help make Malva's fight easier. These will go well on Drapion. It would look really scary with a Poison Jab/Night Slash(or Crunch)/EQ/Rock Slide.

Vivillon should go to the move relearner in Dendemille Town and relearn both Sleep Powder (due to Compound Eyes) and Quiver Dance. Sleep Powder/QD/Hurricane/Bug Buzz can sweep whole teams and Compound Eyes makes it very easy to abuse.

I don't see much reason for Azumarill to know two Water moves, I think Waterfall off of Huge Power is great. I'd fill that last slot with Ice Beam to really seal the deal on Drasna.

Lucario will always be good, but I don't see much need for both Espeed and Return. I'd replace Return with another coverage move like Earthquake/Rock Slide or a stat boosting move like Swords Dance or Power Up Punch. Since it's Adamant, you might also consider putting a physical Fighting move over Aura Sphere, especially if you opt to put an Attack-Boosting move on it.

Meowstic looks good, the only optimization I can see is maybe replacing Shadow Ball/Signal Beam with either Calm Mind or Light Screen/Reflect. The other thing to consider is Psyshock>Psychic just so it can target both Special and physical defense, but you're taking a slight drop in raw power to do that.

Zangoose's STAB should be Return, which hits harder than either Slash or Strength. I'd consider using the Move Relearner to put Swords Dance in the last slot. X Scissor doesn't hit many things in the Elite Four very hard (the only notable thing I see is Siebold's Starmie, who loses to Vivillon and Drapion) so I'd swap it with a Dark or Ghost move like Night Slash or Shadow Claw, which will let you hit Ghost types like Wikstron's Aegislash, Malva's Chandelure, and Diantha's Gourgeist.

Hope this helps, good luck with the run!

Last edited:

Blackstarlight17

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Has no concrete sleep schedule and is often covered in cats. If found sleeping and is needed, just smack her with a bag of frozen milky way bars.
I'll try and get those TMs and see if I can plop them on my Drapion.

I have heart scales so the move relearner would be feasible for Vivillon. I want her to be able to continue holding her own since she's come this far.

I was torn between Ice Beam or Aqua Tail for Azumarill, I knew I wanted to take advantage of Huge Power but Ice Beam may make more sense. He's got the defenses.

I kept Aura Sphere because it hasn't failed, but for Return and Extreme Speed, I was planning on dropping one or both, so Earthquake if not possibly Power-Up Punch. I just have to think if I want her to carry the Lucarioite or have a hold item that'll boost her stats in some manner.

Meowstic has been very reliable. I mainly gave her Signal Beam to help her cover other psychic types and possibly dark types if I was pushed. She's surprisingly sturdy for a psychic cat. I could drop both Shadow Ball and Signal Beam so she can still learn Psyshock and teach one of the stat-boosting moves.

And I'll consider what you said for Zangoose, Return would help and given she hasn't fainted, it would be pretty powerful. Shadow Claw may work better in case I needed to send her out against Gardevoir for some reason, even if it's just whittling her down.

Blackstarlight17

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Okay, was following the advice, but then a stupid crit happened and I ended up losing my Drapion, so I've been trying to find someone who could fill the slot and tried a few only for similar crits or just bad judgment to happen. Long story short, I need a sixth member. The rest seem to be okay and worked out the moves I think as best as I could for the main ones. I just have no clue for the sixth one.

Ones in colored bold are who I'm taking with me based on levels and who's been working so far.

Right now, I'm going to try and train what I have in preparation and if I lose more, I'll edit here if no-one replies right away.

Compound Eyes - Bold, Mischievous - Female - Level 75
Moves: Sleep Powder, Hurricane, Bug Buzz, Quiver Dance
Item: Leftovers
- I may switch it out for a Zoom Lens to ensure she hits as she hits hard, so I may have to sit and get pictures taken for a while. If not, I could use a Deep Sea Tooth to boost Sp. Atk, Sky Plate, or an Insect Plate.

Huge Power - Rash, Mischievous - Male - Level 77
Moves: Ice Beam, Play Rough, Waterfall, Aqua Tail - I wanted to give him STAB and as good as Return is, at least Aqua Tail can hit ghosts or not get slowed down by rocks/steel types in case I ran out of Waterfall.
Item: Splash Plate

Inner Focus - Adamant, Takes Plenty of Siestas - Female - Level 75
Moves: Earthquake, Dragon Pulse, Calm Mind, Aura Sphere
- I know she's adamant and physical is better for her, but most of the physical moves that she could learn far as I can see are too weak to gamble with. Power-Up Punch I know makes her stronger but I rather not take the risk. If there are any steel or stronger fighting moves she can learn beyond Brick Break, I'm all ears.
Item: Black Belt - I may swap for Lucarionite if not another item that may be better suited for her.

Infiltrator - Naughty, Takes plenty of siestas - Female - Level 74
Moves: Calm Mind, Shadow Ball, Psychic, Thunderbolt
- I was thinking Psyshock in place of Shadow Ball but ran out of heart scales. I think there's a TM, so I'll try and find it if not teach someone Thief and go surfing/fishing for Luvdisc and get more. If not, I'll let her keep it as it'll give her something against other psychics as an emergency.

Item: Mind Plate

Flower Veil - Adamant, Often lost in thought - Female - Level 69
Moves: Misty Terrain, Moonblast, Dazzling Gleam, Petal Blizzard.
Item: Pixie Plate

Immunity - Modest, Capable of taking hits - Female - Level 76
Moves: Brick Break, X-Scissor, Shadow Claw, Return
Item: King's Rock

Refrigerate - Adamant, Impetuous and silly - Male - Level 44
Moves: Ice Beam, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Frost Breath
Item: Hard Stone

Wonder Skin - Bold, Mischievous - Male - Level 51
Moves: Fly, Psychic, Sky Attack, Psybeam
Item: Rocky Helmet

Super Luck - Serious, Takes plenty of siestas - Female - Level 18
Moves: Astonish, Pursuit, Haze, Wing Attack
Item: Sharp Beak

I'd rather keep this guy as a last resort if I'm almost down to less than ten or so Pokémon.
Fairy Aura - Bashful, Takes plenty of siestas - Level 50
Moves: Gravity, Geomancy, Moonblast, Megahorn
Item: Twisted Spoon

Infiltrator - Quiet, Quick to flee - Male - Level 44
Moves: Razor Wind, Tailwind, Whirlwind, Super Fang
Item: Macho Brace

Hone Claws, Dragon Claw, Calm Mind, Toxic, Venoshock, Hidden Power, Taunt, Ice Beam, Protect, Frustration, Solar Beam, Thunderbolt, Earthquake, Return, Shadow Ball, Brick Break, Double Team, Flamethrower, Rock Tomb, Aerial Ace, Torment, Facade, Flame Charge, Attract, Thief, Low Sweep, Echoed Voice, False Swipe, Scald, Charge Beam, Will-O-Wisp, Acrobatics, Shadow Claw, Payback, Rock Polish, Flash, Thunder Wave, Struggle Bug, Psych Up, Bulldoze, Frost Breath, X-Scissor, Dragon Tail, Infestation, Poison Jab, Grass Knot, U-Turn, Substitute, Rock Smash, Snarl, Nature Power, Power-Up Punch, Dazzling Gleam

Cut, Fly, Surf, Strength, Waterfall

Last edited:

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
You're pretty Fire weak, so I'd avoid Abomasnow. You're also pretty vulnerable to Electricity, so I'd avoid a flying type. I think your next best bet is Aurorus. It hits Malva with STAB rock moves, which is nice, and all but auto-wins against Drasna. Sucks to lose Drapion, sorry to hear it.

I don't see much reason for it to have both Frost Breath and Ice Beam. I'd delete frost breath for either Thunderbolt or Freeze-Dry, which make Siebold's fight way easier.

Last edited:

Blackstarlight17

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Yeah, I was upset losing Drapion as I remember him saving my skin for the fairy gym.

And not sure where I can get Freeze-Dry unless he'll learn it.

And for hold items, I'm still unsure for certain ones like Vivillon or Lucario.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)