• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Nuzlocke Redeemed mons

Thread Description
Pokemon you initially disregarded then came to love because of a nuzlocke.

Ymir

Snorlax is my mood
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pokémon Type
Bug, Psychic, Steel
Is there any Pokemon you've always ignored, thinking, "Oh well, I'll take the better option instead," then had to use it in a nuzlocke and fell in love with it? There's definitely cases of this happening in lockes, since you're forced to use Pokemon you wouldn't think of choosing in vanilla runs. This has happened to me with the Paras line and in other instances the Drowzee line. They're not Pokemon I would've ever even considered to use in a non-nuzlocke, yet when I did they instantly became some of my favorite teammates, displaying awesome versatility and bulk.

What about all of you? Ever had a mon redeem itself in your eyes?

SimplyUnknown

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
Bronzor and Bronzong for me. I always saw them as the poor-man's Beldum/Metang/Metagross and never really tried using them because the few times I did, the lack of offensive power turned me off. But if you stop thinking of them as attackers and play more to their defensive capabilities, they are amazing tanks and really solid Pokemon.

Second

A Yu-Gi-Oh! Protagonist but in Real Life
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
They / Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon has a tendency to start many projects as they come to mind, but they tend to only finish projects other people have made deadlines for.
Have I ever told you about the time I took Pachirisu to the Hall of Fame?

Look it might have just been buffs thanks to being in a Drayano hack, but Eggs the Pachirisu holds such a deep, special place in my heart that I don't care. Pachirisu is no simple Pikachu clone to me, not anymore. It's a vital team member who outsped the competition and puts holes in its opponent in ways I never expected. The best electric rodent...

Honorable mention to my dear pal Bibarel, who always surprises me with how useful they are, every time.

DoctorRosalia

The human half of some blue dude
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Some dude got stabbed with a sword and here this Pokemon is, alive, angery, and two days old
I once got a Zubat in my Pokemon sun run. I figured she was gonna be basically useless and tried to kill her off early, but she eventually evolved into a crobat and proved to be one of my most useful party members in that run, especially because I had a major poison weakness after I lost her.

satanicswirlix

Government Assigned Towelie Kinnie
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
dude/weed/lmao
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This user's interests change more often than her pantalones. It is unlikely that she'll ever finish making a nuzlocke comic, but she can die trying!
Never thought I'd ever care about the Burmy line, but after using Mothim and Trash Wormadam on separate occassions, I quickly fell in love with their stupid designs. Same goes with the Cherubi line, they are very fun to use, and are surprisingly tough.

I also used to hate Charizard and Pikachu (imagine hating a character for being popular/a mascot), but after giving them a chance, they quickly became some of my favourite Pokemon.

Memento

The Princess of Darkness
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She, her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
She is known to spend hours daydreaming about her stories.
I actually didn't like the Leavanny line before I played an undocumented (and unfinished) run of Black 2. I didn't like the weaknesses it had to fire and flying. But I got an adamant Sewaddle, so I figured I might as well use it.

Darwin the Leavanny became one of my core team members, and my only regret was that I didn't finish the game for his sake.

Aurea

🎇Contributor
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Steel
First playthrough of W2 gave me some good ones, but one in particular stands out.

Unova hates me. Always has, and this was no exception. I was getting kicked in the teeth left and right -- Pokemon kept dying, and I had a team that was all weak to ground types heading into the resort area. I was hoping, praying, for something to help me get through that area.

Which is how I ended up with Aloe the Maractus.

I've never liked their design, never cared for their stats or movesets or even remembered their species existed half the time. But she was instantly added to the party by virtue of NOT immediately dying against ground types, and she saved my ass countless times over. Tanked hits, stalled out trouble opponents, and hit harder than she had any business hitting. After a while I built up my box and caught far better replacements, but every time I'd consider pulling her off the team she'd pull some badass move and earn her spot again. I'm not saying I'm a Maractus stan now or anything, but when Aloe died to some random bs crit, I had to put my DS down for a good week or so. I'll never underestimate Maractus again.

Rhema

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
Minun. Specifically Minun because idk, I got one during a Wonderlocke and it was surprisingly okay. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not amazing or anything, and definitely not my first choice when it came to Electric types, but that little guy ended up being the MVP of my run. Plus he’s just so cute haha

Ymir

Snorlax is my mood
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pokémon Type
Bug, Psychic, Steel
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thinking back to one of my earliest attempts at a nuzlocke run - game I played was Red - I somehow managed to score a Lickitung for my team, which ended up being one of my absolutely favorite Pokemon when it came to dealing with mons I had no clear advantages against. When I lost the save file it really struck me, because it'd been a nice run and I never again got to use a Lickitung. Getting the chance to put it in my team really made me forget about all the opinions I had on the line (which I cultivated through others' judgement of its stats and performance in battle).

Kadew

*bird sounds*
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Doesn't actually like birds all that much.
I never really gave pidgey a second thought before I started my comic. They were just some early route bird that shows up too much. Then I caught more than half a dozen of them in one run and made a comic that features bird pokemon prominently. Creating designs for all the pidgey characters has made me turn from not really caring at all about the mediocre birds into having them as my avatar and having a stuffed pidgey plush imported from japan to sit on my desk at all times. What a difference a nuzlocke can make.

Raderph

A Radical Earthling
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
For me it's probably Ducklett/Swanna. After late deaths in my last BW run meant I was needing new team members, I originally passed on it, because I didn't like them much (based largely on design and being just worse than Gyarados in most ways), before begrudgingly throwing it on my team because it had a good nature and filled a type hole. I ended up not regretting it, as Gravy the Swanna more than carried her weight through the rest of the game, eventually being the only 'mon on my team that Ghetsis's Hydreigon didn't have coverage for and therefore taking it down on her own.

Turns out Water/Flying is good even if it isn't Gyarados. Featherdance being completely nutty doesn't hurt either.

Elfin Song

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
she/her or he/him
Audino and the oshawott line. Actually, a lot of Gen V I kinda passed over because of personal, petty-filled reasons. I was reeeeeeeal sick of the whole anti-genwunner-so-we'll-say-Gen-V-is-the-only-valid-gen sort of sentiment that went around way back then, combined with the fact that I just didn't get into the actual storylines of Gen V. I'm sorry, but I can't tell you how badly I wanted to strangle N for stopping me literally right after I battled Skyla. Or for wanting to battle me after I spent hours trying to get through Twist Mountain because eff me and my aversion to repels. Just as examples.

But point is, consequently, no Gen V 'mon even made my "look twice at this" list. They just didn't. So naturally, White became the game I was most willing to reset for the sake of playing a nuzlocke (because one of them had to go, as I had a plot bunny involving androids and dead people to attend to). And what else should be my catch in the Dreamyard but an audino. (I was 100% going for a musharna, not even gonna lie. Yes, even though there's only a 5% chance of that.)

Anyway, that was Spike, the predecessor of Knives. I wiped hard at Opelucid, but until that point, Spike effing carried the team. It was the combination of ungodly HP, lucking out with Regenerator, and the realization that you can literally throw the weirdest of TMs and HMs on this murder bunny and end up with solid gold. So naturally, after I wiped and reset my game and notes, I made it a mission to get another audino from the Dreamyard and go from there.

And holy shiz, guys. Not to spoil anything, but guess who carries the team again. Knives can't be stopped and won't be stopped, and between a successful run and having fun writing her as an adorable pink murder bunny, Knives basically singlehandedly catapulted audino to one of my top five favorite pokémon list. (Sorry, Spike. You're awesome too, but Knives will always be number one.)

As for the oshawott line, that actually happened from the same run. I admit I wasn't too attached to Jack (the oshawott in question) as I was playing, but it was writing him that really did it. Just channeling that inner Ash's oshawott to build this adorable, swaggery swordsman who just wants to make friends and have fun. He was just too adorable for me. :')

TrueZero2

Ninja! Comic! Best Match!
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
For me, it was Sceptile in Gen 6, and surprisingly, the Pledge Moves. I decided to use Treecko since I hadn't done since my first run through Emerald, and I was thoroughly annoyed by Sceptiles lacking special movepool as we went through the game.

Here's the thing:
The Treecko line changes movepool upon evolving into Grovyle. It learns Giga Drain at Level 21, and Energy Ball at Level 37, but only as a Treecko. Grovyle and Sceptile learn Leaf Blade and X-Scissor instead. Still respectable, but they're Special Attackers, not Physical. I didn't realise this until after Treecko evolved at Level 16.

So I'm having to use a Sceptile whose best Special Grass move is Mega Drain. Not the best option. It wasn't until I remembered that the Pledge moves were a thing that I put it on Sceptile. While the effects of the Pledge moves are absolutely worthless, they're still damaging attacks with decent power (Gen 6 onward) and guaranteed STAB. Sceptile then went from a Base Power 50 Special Attack, to a Base Power 80 one. With STAB, that became a 120 power attacks that had no side effects, good or bad. After that point, Mega Sceptile was a monstrous sweeper.

I just wish I'd remembered the Pledge moves before beating Wallace.

Neowth

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
I don't really care tbh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
A dork from the North
Most of the grass types. I like the designs but for some reason there's always something better to add in the team since I'm more attacking with brutality than pestering the foe with status problems. Gen1 grass/poisons and Hoppip line is the first that comes to mind.

Ardomew

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
The Violet Wizard. Passionate about art, food, and games.
There's quite a lot of Pokémon I probably wouldn't have ever used in a regular session, but were excellent in Nuzlocke runs! I've brought Flygon to the HoF on three separate occasions, and boy did those sand dragons deserve it! Dusclops was another Pokémon I never considered using, but I was floored by how tanky those mummies are once I used Cloak! Then there was Abomasnow in Platinum, Jellicent in White 2, Metagross in Sun, Persian in LeafGreen, Hypno on a couple of occasions, and who could forget my amazing Golbat in the original Pokémon Blue? Needless to say, I have this challenge to thank for my higher opinions on certain Pokémon!

Paine

The doctorate is in pain.
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/him; they/them; she/her
Pokémon Type
Psychic, ???
Pokédex Entry
It never quite knows what it's doing. Yet, somehow, things still get done.
I’m going to second the Sewaddle line- never gave them much thought until I was sizing up my options to go against Burgh, and realized... crap, the only good option I have is this sparkly baby bug xD so, ground him up... and Dazzle the Leavanny became a core member from then on, even becoming the de-facto starter after my Dewott had a training accident. He had to be briefly retired when his /literal 0 attack stat/ started getting felt in the late game, but not before taking Marlon’s Jellicent out in one hit and claiming the last badge for me. He was surprisingly sturdy, too! Took a Rock Slide once from something on par with his level and barely got knocked to the yellow, I was so proud of him.

Speaking of though...
Jellicent, and Garbodor. Garbodor filling a little bit of a gap when I had only two semi-functional team members |D She had a solid nature and good bulk, and got me to appreciate Toxic Spikes setup a /lot/, the poison damage saved my ass a couple times.
Jellicent gets mention for similar reason, more in the ‘oh my god Will-O-Wisp is amazing’ sense xD got me to appreciate the defensive capabilities of water/ghost, Surf’s actually decent damage, and I will never forget that time he ate an Excadrill’s 4x boosted Earthquake.

Reactions: io_

pkmnMasterWheeler

Conqueror of the Mahogany Gym
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Cute
Poochyena/Mightyena are always the first mons I think of when I think of Pokemon Nuzlockes made me like, although that's more because of the character I made in my comic. But I went from not caring about the line to it being in my top 10!

As for Pokemon whose usability made me like em more the main one is Magnemite. I literally threw em out as cannon fodder against Burgh in White 2 to heal and he tanked em so hard I not only had time to heal but ended up beating Burgh with the Magnemite. I think it was like 5+ levels under leveled too, and Sonic Boom made up for it's poor attack.

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
Nuzlockes brought me to fall in love with earth-types. Before I started nuzlocking, I preferred flying, water, and electric. But then i started nuzlocking and realized that EARTH TYPES WILL CARRY YOUR DAMN RUN. Not only are they tanky as hell, but they also have POWERFUL AF ATTACK ON TOP OF IT? THEY AIN'T GLASS CANNONS, FOLKS, THEY ARE JUST CANNONS. Nuzlockes made me love earth types so much that I did a whole run with just those types, haha! Oh, and to clarify, I consider earth types to be rock, ground, and steel! Flying is still my favorite type, but earth types totally pushed the rest of my old favorites out of the top 5 completely.

TerryTheTeryx

Gen Z Degenerate
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Steel
Pokédex Entry
A bizarre Pokémon who dislikes many social activities. She appears to have a penchant for peanut butter and foreign languages.
Okay, so just for laughs, I decided to Nuzlocke through Black 2 with a Porygon for a starter because I'm a coding nerd who loves birbs. I got one from Platinum, I either then bred that one and transferred one of them up to my White file or just transferred the original up, but either way I bred another and got my Porygon egg as soon as I could trade in Black 2.
Cyber the Porygon was very surprisingly hefty and really strong. He could wipe out pretty much every trainer and Pokémon that came his way, save the fighting types. Certainly not what I'd expect from a binary drinking bird.
I forget if I ended up wiping that game file, or if it's still there. I'm kinda afraid to check at this point o3o

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
In my Let's Go Eevee run, I learned to love Alolan Raticate, because it's the only thing you get early on that hard counters Psychic-types. Which is very much necessary, because I had an encounter with a trainer's Kadabra in Rock Tunnel that almost killed a bunch of my Pokemon because I hadn't put anything on my team that countered Psychic-types (shiny Butterfree, y u no learn a Bug-type attack until level 31?). I only survived that encounter because of potion stalling and surviving the inevitable Psybeam confusion.

Now Alolan Raticate is on my team, and is likely to stay on for a while (so long as it doesn't become too overleveled; it's nice to be able to switch Pokemon on the fly in this game because it means I can train more than just six Pokemon to usable levels without having to constantly backtrack to the Pokemon Center.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)