• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Happy new forum! We decided this was a golden opportunity for us to feature a fresh new imported run!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Rainbow Robin's Bird Box

Thread Description
Robin rambles about life, writing, the creative process and burnout. Also a link repository for runs

Rainbow Robin

Going Teamless
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
A secret bunker, just off Route 2, next to Greggs
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fighting
Tweet tweet.

Well, this needs a little sorting out so let's start off here. I'm Robin; a robin (though I haven't always been like this, so learn a lesson and don't laugh at wizards, kids) and I moved into this birdbox while I try and sort out getting my hands on a cure for being a small bird. Despite, of course, no longer having hands.

Life is pretty good as a robin, if I'm honest. Flight, that's a big positive, and squirrels are dead nice to hang around with. There's a small one lives one tree over, he comes around every now and then for a coffee morning.

In the meantime, while I wait to attack the next wizard I see, I may as well do some nuzlockes.

Never Stop No Healing: No Healing Y

Y has the dubious honour of one of the easiest nuzlockes to do, but does that title hold up when healing from any source whatsoever is banned? Intense strategy, cheese tactics and so much time in the daycare is the name of the game in the sequel to extravaganza-winning Utter Lunacy: No Healing Platinum.

This one is one of my favourites; a challenge run of Pokemon Y in the vein of a prior attempt at Platinum. It's a bit resource-intensive, since I have to be at a certain computer for it, so I don't get to work on it as often as I'd like, but it's happily trundling along.

Honestly this isn't an original idea, and I'd gladly direct people to the YouTube arena to find Fallout New Vegas: You Only Live Once and the Fallout 3 run of the same style. The rules are the same, but the FPS nature lends itself a lot neater to avoiding mandatory heals as a 'true health counter' can be employed to track health past forced heals.

Found Family: The Original Nuzlocke Soundtrack

In a musical extravagance found only in the gay community, six true companions set out to unseat the Kalosian champion after her bigotry offends one of their own.

I have a love/hate relationship with Found Family. I based it on something painful for me, longing for something I'd lost and... well, I've moved on now. I don't consider myself part of that world anymore, and maybe keeping the story alive has hurt more than it helped. But I'm determined not to have any abandoned runs on the new site, so I may well return to it in time and wrap it up. I hugely doubt it will end as upbeat as it did when I set out. But I did pick up a pair of trophies doing it.

Snow Blind (Working Title)

The mountain, a great unexplored and barren peak in the Canadian rockies, is host to Sima, sole survivor of a light aircraft crash. She, and the few of her team who can weather the arctic conditions, must struggle for survival against not just the climate but the deteriorating psyche of the trainer herself.

Snow Blind took a while to come together; a Black run that I actually enjoyed (because I still stand by Unova's washed out colour pallet, janky animations and repetitive Pokemon as strong negatives that make it my least favourite region) became a horror anthology that was abandoned after I fell in love with a single story about the sole survivor going insane from the isolation and the cold. Expanding it to a full length (though short) story was a lot of fun, and it is part of a new initiative of mine to have fully complete new runs ready to go at a moment's notice. Ought to keep there from being any abandoned runs due to lack of interest. No Locke Left Behind.

Rainbow Robin's Cool Fitlocke for Attractive People (Working Title)

Robin went on Holiday. The holiday offered buffet. The buffet offered cheesecake. Now, to combat the encroaching demons of sugary foods, it's time to play Pokemon Fat Pikachu Edition and suffer the intense pain of pushing against a lifetime of pizza to ultimately get healthy again.

I'm deeply aware that the majority of my self-esteem issues stem from body image, so this is hopefully a way to tap into fixing that while supplying my need to be an attention whore. Also, I want nuzlocke trophies and one requires a playthrough to completion of Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, B2W2 and USUM so I needed a Yellow run in there. If this goes well and I'm happy with the results, I might honestly keep it going into Crystal, but first I need to see that I'm not cracking under the pressure immediately. I do think it's a good idea to try and do, honestly.

Last edited:

MouseWithADinosaurTail

The Lost Prince of Lightbeacon
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Though she often appears sweet and polite, the smell of wrong opinions may cause this pokemon to latch bite.
Decided to peak into your bird box. Ngl, I have no idea whats going on in here, but its got a good spiritual energy to it. :3 Keep it up!

Mattelonian

Aarakocra Illusion Wizard Extraordinaire
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 17, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon appreciates all hugs, internet or otherwise.
yeah but what about the l o n g d o g

Rainbow Robin

Going Teamless
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fighting
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't worry, Longboi is fine. Say Bork, Monday

Boooooork

Still working on shortening him, sadly.

Right. Snow Blind gameplay is done and I landed a bunch of trophies. The details are below.

Run Completed.

Watercress Salad With Chili and Cilantro Flakes:
Done. Forcibly ground Tepig to Pignite, then swept. That was a bollock-ache of a gym.

Lenora Sphere: Done. Used Audino to tank the Retaliate.

Iceburgh Lettuce: Failed. Didn't get a Sewaddle or a Venipede in the forest.

Queen Elesabeth II: Complete. I didn't get paralysed. Used Trubbish most of the way I think.

Exclaydrill: Failed. I used Dig against Excadrill.

Mirror Move: Completed. I fought Clay with Krokorok, Palpitoad and Excadrill.

Skyla White: Completed. I used Eviolite Gurdurr.

Alpha Brycentauri: Completed. I used Excadrill.

Dr Drayden Ft. Iris Cube: Completed. Beartic's Icicle Crash was sufficient.

Unova Hall of Famer: Completed.

Last edited:

JadeSapphira

Go on, Shadow. Dont you support gay rights?
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Sorry, this pokemon is unavailable in the current release.
Im currently hacking into your twitter account as we speak

Rainbow Robin

Going Teamless
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fighting
It's kind of a big ol ramble incoming, so brace your ears.

I'm kind of suffering burnout, which is to be expected, but a different kind of burnout. Having an episodic upload structure, as much as it lifts sanctions on the amount of work needed for an update to be thrown out, does pose the issue of recieving no feedback. I won't lie and say that the new nuzlocke design helps, far from it. The complete page of updates is less about filtering content and more that there are no longer three lines, now just one. A run that would have sat on page one of tapatalk all week is buried faster and faster in Xenforo. Also, signatures are odd and don't really appear sometimes. I don't claim to understand it. So... I'm taking a break from Found Family, and from No Healing Y, which coincides with a long period where I don't have internet access anyway so serendipity is at work regardless. I refuse to abandon Found Family, (although my huge burnout coincides with utter disillusionment with my local LGBT society due to the abusive actions of several members within so the core conceit of FF is somewhat worm-riddled to me these days) and No Healing Y is a great joy to see the engagement it brings others, so it will inevitably continue. Do I want to make stories? Perhaps. I started by feeding an uncontrollable imagination into stories, but moved on before conclusions could be reached. Please file under Attention Defecit Disorder. Do I think I should complete the work entirely before posting? Undoubtedly. All work should be finished before publication now. That's the only way to guarantee completeness, and not burnout.

Nextly... I reckon Found Family could be boiled down to a shorter format. Maybe it will be at odds with how the prologue opened, but nobody really can care. We'd have to turn it around, bin a lot of chapters involving training and character development. Maybe keep the character development and actually excise gym battles that were a cakewalk - Dio absolutely embarrassed Korrina and the Mega Lucario sweep of Ramos is uninteresting to watch, despite winning the Esperamos! achievement. (Power up punch counts as sub-60 base power, after all). Whatever. The beef of FF is in the characters interacting, not the fights and the Pokemon. Perhaps I just bored people by spending too long to get to the Pokemon. This is a Pokemon site after all. I don't know, but the old adage of tell the story you want to tell is rubbish, if you ask me. If George Lucas had told the story he wanted to tell we'd have got Jar Jar episode 4. Know your audience and pleasing the crowd is better.

I'm going to keep a little list of plans for the future here, so I can come back to them and add to.

Last edited:

Rainbow Robin

Going Teamless
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fighting
1: Stand By Me exists in the Pokemon universe. - On the TV in FRLG.
Therefore, Stephen King exists in the Pokemon universe, which is a pretty big thing to think about to start with anyway. Does Carrie exist, which was King's big break? Did Stephen King go on such a drug binge he woke up having written Cujo about a rabid Stoutland?
2: The Gregorian calendar exists in the Pokemon universe. - Unovan Horoscopes.
Therefore, the Catholic church exists in the Pokemon universe? Also, Julius and Augustus Caesar existed as they lend their names to the months July and August. Latin exists, since we have January after Ianua, meaning door. Did Italy conquer Kalos and that other region to the north of it over the channel? But where is Spain? Did Hannibal invade Kalos rather than Hispania or is the map of Kalos rotated to keep Spain due south of Kalos? If the Roman Republic and Empire existed, were Romulus and Remus raised by a Mightyena?
3. Nintendo exists in the Pokemon universe - Various consoles
Therefore, the great video game crash happened? Did Nintendo sell Hanafuda and run a chain of love hotels? What about Mario, who is referenced by way of Mario & Wario? Not even getting into Game Freak's presence...

This is why I find Pokemon stories so tough and yet curious? Importing real world elements brings confusion with it because they have history that doesn't gel with the world. Stephen King's Shining's Danny Torrance doesn't seem to unusual in a world where 60+ different strains of animal are at least telepathic. Hannibal needn't have brought Elephants if he could have trained flying Pokemon for revitalising warfare... so, stories of Pokemon fall into 3 categories;

Pokemon World completely - fine, no issues with it, but not my cup of tea. I like fantasy grounded in our world.

No Pokemon - Stuff like Pokemon: Online or Search For Yesterday, where the world of the story can easily explain why it's so similar to ours and not full of dream tapirs.

Ours With Electric Mice: This is the 'laziest', but also the most interesting to me. I love allohistorical stories and seeing what can happen in microcosms of the world with Pokemon in them is something I want to do. So... I'm gonna, and if that is a bit odd, sorry. But I am putting Dialga into 1980s West Berlin because I want to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)