Video Showcase Let's Play RADical Fights: A Calamitous Terraria Trial of Torture

Thread Description
Watch closely as courage turns into madness as I surely lose my mind.

Raverist

when the cute boy looks at you with a smile
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
Steel, Tough
So! Not too long ago, Re-Logic announced that their flagship game, Terraria, is expecting a new major content update in 1.4, and a lot of people are excited about it. Likened to a 2D version of Minecraft with more emphasis on combat over building cool things, it proved popular enough for a few of the forum's own users to get together and do a story of sorts covering our adventures. This was A Witch's Journal, back in the Zetaboards era, and while still in our hearts, and having enjoyed the time I spent there, I felt the need to get back to doing something in the game, though vanilla was a bit...dull, to say the least. Thankfully Terraria has a sizable modding community, and it's through this that I found myself embroiled in a whole new community for one of the biggest mods for the game.

That mod's name is Calamity, and adds a plethora of new weapons, gear and enemies, including a sizable number of interesting and unique bosses. That last part is the focus of this LP. You see, while the discord for the mod is where I really found myself growing, eventually becoming a server admin for a reasonable period before obligations and burnout led me to stepping down, I've always fancied the challenges offered, and took vested interest in some unique server roles for people who complete said challenges.

I'm not going to bore you too much with details and whatnot though. My vision for this thread is to provide you with visual entertainment as I struggle and flounder through a summoner class rush of the mod's bosses, on a RAD mode nohit adventure. What's RAD?

Revengeance. Armageddon. Defiled. Lemme break it down below.

Revengeance refers to the 'normal' difficulty that Calamity's based around. A considerable step up from Terraria's Expert mode, Rev mode revamps the AI of vanilla bosses and Calamity bosses, as well as adding several major changes to combat, most prominently the Rage and Adrenaline meters, which allow you to gain a short term damage boost that's capable of blowing through whatever you face. Further up the totem pole of difficulty is Death mode, which pretty much makes the world and bosses tougher yet, but our focus will be on Rev mode, and nohitting.

Armageddon ensures that nohit thing, by the way. While under the effects of Armageddon, any source of damage we take during a boss fight will immediately cause our legs to appear where our head is, instantly killing us and despawning the boss we're fighting. In return, when victorious, we'll get six treasure bags of good loot as opposed to one. Seems easy enough, just stay mobile and flying above the bosses while our minions beat them down, right?

Defiled answers that question. While the 25% chance of enemies critting us for double the regular damage isn't as big a deal, having wings and all flight disabled certainly puts a spin on things. It might not be obvious early on, but later boss fights really put emphasis on using some unorthodox tactics to win.

To put a long story short, we're going to be fighting all bosses, with advanced AI and stats, while running limited mobility and having the defensive capabilities of a wad of candy floss in the wake of a tidal wave. It's gonna be fun.

Part 1: Opening post and initial battles (KS and DS)
Part 2: Blinkers and Fungi. (EoC, Crab)
Part 3: Oh worm, beeware of headaches. (BoC, EoW, QB)
Part 4: Of Blood and Biohazards. (Perfs and HM)
Part 5: Calcium Enriched Jelly. (Skele, SG, WoF)
Part 6: The Alternate Path. (Cryo, AS, Brimmy)
Part 7: Total Mayhem. (Mech bosses)
Part 8: A Disaster in the Garden. (Calamitas, Plantera)
Part 9: It's not Better Down Where It's Wetter. (AA, Siren/Levi)
Part 10: Stone and Drone. (Golem, PBG)
Part 11: The Rearing of the Ugly Heads. (DF, Ravager)
Part 12: Star God and the Forces of Evil. (LC, AD, ML)
Part 13: Divine Revelations. (PG, Bumblebirb, Providence)

So to preface: In order to complete the challenge ahead of us, we have to follow a set of separate rules. In a nutshell, we must fight our bosses appropriately geared for progression, we can't abuse dodges from certain accessories to nullify damage, (a 0 damage hit is still a hit) we must remain within a specific dps limit for the majority of the fight, and the fight must last a specified duration, and on success must disclose the gear we use in order to prove said gear is legitimate.

In any case, our character is named Slacksworth, chiefly for the fact that he's going to be slacking while his minions do the work. The first boss on the list is King Slime, a vanilla boss. In Rev mode, his changes are simple enough, given he's the earliest boss: He'll hop around as normal, but is a bit faster and his teleports are also considerably hastened, taking about 20 frames (Terraria runs at 30 FPS) to warp.

Attempts: 2

Clauses: 300 DPS, 25 seconds, no rope cheese.

First fight, first time using OBS, first vid uploaded to youtube, and it shows. As for the fight itself, the arena is easy enough, a row of platforms serve me well enough, while mobility issues are sorted with a hook and cloud in a balloon offering a secondary jump, and a golden horseshoe to avoid taking fall damage. Yes, fall damage indeed counts under Arma. The Slime Staff is vanilla, and provided immediately thanks to Calamity's Starter Bag, which gives you a foot up in getting geared in the earlygame. The glowy thing above me is the Sun Spirit Staff, a simple single summon that fires beams at nearby targets at a steady rate, and is notable as being one of the very few sources a summoner can critically hit. It'll be outclassed fairly soon, but isn't too bad for keeping the damage on.

The armour equipped for the fight is Wulfrum Summoner, providing a valuable minion slot, while the equipped accessories are as follows: Spirit Glyph (Calamity, provides small buffs for 2 seconds when a minion damages an enemy, excellent support option in the earlygame), Spectre Boots (Vanilla, rules allow combo accessories as the goblin tinkerer is available pre-boss, grants speed and rudimentary flight that Defiled allows), Luxor's Gift (Calamity, a fun little trinket that grants special effects to almost any attack, effectively grants a free minion to summoners in the form of a green sign), Lucky Horseshoe (Vanilla, negates fall damage) and Sandstorm in a Balloon (Vanilla, improved double jump). Note also the 9999ish stacks of potions. Those are allowed, and definitely cheated in because I am not spending hours grinding for potions when I can craft a few legitimately.

First one down, now for the first proper Calamity boss, Desert Scourge. For this one, we've got access to another major feature of the mod: custom music, courtesy of DM Dokuro, best known for doing some funky Undertale mixes (Reality Check through the Skull might sound familiar), and since we're here, here's his theme, Guardian of the Former Seas.

Attempts: 1

Clauses: No DPS limit, 10 seconds.

Yeah not gonna lie, this was piss easy. The DS becomes invulnerable when you leave the desert (a recurring theme for Calamity bosses) and I circumvented this by placing a heap of sand on a platform above me to ensure I remained in the biome. No differences in gear, though I had the Spirit Glyph removed because I am a dumb and had the arctic diving gear instead (a good accessory for underwater exploration as you might expect, and invaluable later on) but ultimately it didn't matter much. What did matter was that green slime though, the weakest enemy in Terraria, almost ruining my attempt.

As for the Scourge, it's best to explain its AI straight before going to what rev brings. The boss is effectively a Very Large Worm enemy who burrows through the ground and attempts to eat your entire body. As it gets weaker, it gets faster, and...that's genuinely it for normal and expert difficulty. Rev on the other hand adds two more worms to the mix, which are much weaker than the main one, and he lobs blasts of sand towards you, preventing a platform strategy from being completely foolproof. When he gets below 75%, he spawns dried seekers, which are the little worms, but ultimately he's the first boss of the mod, meant to be easy enough and a taste of what's to come. I respect it. As for his theme, it's a good one.

And that's it from me for now. Next time, we'll look a crustacean right in the eye and get high on mushrooms.

Last edited:

Raverist

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
Steel, Tough
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey folks, we're back after doing some more work on further content, and I'm here to bring you two more thrilling boss fights.

When last we left off, we had just bested the Desert Scourge without too much trouble. Between then and now I ventured into the deeper depths of the underground desert, for a new area can be reached upon the DS's defeat. This is a Calamity-added biome called the sunken sea, serving as a much more peaceful underwater biome, and we went there for one purpose: obtaining a new summoner weapon. On a related note, the theme for this place is fantastic for just relaxing and chilling, and a far cry from the other watery biome added by the mod.

That said, we quickly get back to the action with the next vanilla boss, the Eye of Cthulhu. While already more threatening in Expert Mode due to the added charging - an excellent feature, may I add - in Rev he changes to this more aggressive phase much earlier than usual, and rushes much more frequently.

Attempts: 6.

Clauses: 300 DPS, 30 seconds.

Ah yes, this opens with the result of getting slightly grazed by anything under Armageddon. I also show briefly my base, set up in a Planetoid feature, added by the mod to spice up the otherwise bland space biome. The rapid speed of the boss as it gets lower can be seen, and it should be noted that if you slow down at all anytime during that charge, you're as good as dead. Running in a straight line is the best tactic funnily enough, as the eye is unlikely to get you, and you can use the brief breaks when it stops charging to turn around.

Regarding gear, the armour I'm wearing is the Victide set, which is surprisingly available pre-boss (I went with Wulfrum for the first two bosses because it's easy to farm for) and the summoner set provides a sea urchin minion above one's head that fires poisonous spikes at anything that gets close. Well, at random, and not guaranteed to hit. The set effect of the armour is greatly improved breathing underwater as well as a boost in mobility that almost completely negates the hindering effects of the drink. Of more interest is the new weapon, the Magical Conch, which provides hermit crab minions. These have a strong damage score, but are hampered by the fact they can't jump and can only target enemies that are on the ground. They have their benefits against some enemies and bosses, but they are generally unreliable. As for the Seabound Staff's Brittle Stars, they're a reasonably effective upgrade to slimes, with their flight and dashes, though you can see they have trouble keeping up with mobile opponents.

You'll see next update why this can be bad news.

With the eye down, that allows the Dryad to spawn, allowing us to buy boss summons if we choose. I vouch to do so, only cheating in boss summons for the nohit attempts. Speaking of summons, the next boss on the list is the Calamity Mushroom biome boss Crabulon, a ground-borne boss who has fairly limited mobility, difficulty hitting targets above it and starts the fight completely passive for a few seconds allowing you to make grounds, while not enraging outwith a shroom biome. On top of that, his theme is peppy as heck. How hard can it be?

Attempts: Thirty. 30.

Clauses: 450 DPS, 45 seconds.

Holy shit ow.

See, that was my thinking. It turns out that a boss with that mediocre mobility also has extremely hard to spot projectile attacks that blend in well with a night sky, and summons crab shrooms that will ruin your day if you so much as neglect them and focus on the boss. Most of the failed attempts were due to said crab shrooms, and this successful attempt was down to sacrificing damage output by having a crab up top with sun spirit to kill the ads while a star and luxor's sign whittled down the fat one. I invested in some Hunter potions to help the small shrooms show up better, and even then the fight was fairly sloppy, with me forgetting to summon minions for a good 10 seconds before realising it was taking no damage. This didn't go against me though, as the fight was a slow one regardless.

As for how crab works, in general he spawns crab shrooms as he's damaged, and will spit shrooms at you throughout the fight while trying to stomp on you. In Rev mode he adds a mushroom rain after every third jump to try and catch you out, but those are easily avoided by standing still or dashing out of range, and he's a bit quicker. In terms of new gear used, the horseshoe's been dropped for the Shield of Cthulhu, the Expert exclusive drop of the EoC, which provides a dash for evasion and has a bonking feature that lets you bounce off numerous harmful things. Bonking doesn't count as a hit. Regarding other exclusive drops from bosses I neglected to mention...

King Slime's Expert drop is the Royal Gel, an accessory that makes nearly all slime enemies passive, while in Rev mode he also coughs up the Crown Jewel which boosts health regen and thus useless for nohitting. The Scourge will give the Ocean Crest, which basically gives you underwater breathing and a small defence boost whille submerged, and his rev drop is the Scourge of the Desert...a javelin type Rogue weapon that pierces and is actually a solid weapon for people using that throwing-style class. The EoC's also got a rev drop in the Counter Scarf, whose dash lets you ninja through enemies and grants a melee boost. This counts as a hit for nohits though, which is why I'm using the mouth shield, whose dash also goes further. As for crabby, his expert drop is the Fungal Clump, a somewhat inferior version of luxor's sign that sticks to enemies and damages them, while the Rev drop is the Mushroom Plasma Root, a powerup that permanently boosts Rage damage by 15%. We'll likely never use Rage though, as the main methods of building it are counter-intuitive (true melee strikes and taking damage, the latter of which a squishy defiled summoner won't enjoy).

And that's it for this update. Between this and next one, we'll be setting up arenas for the next three bosses, all of which promise to be entertaining, intriguing and outright Bullshit.

0 Anonymous

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
Oh man, I didn't know such a big mod existed. I've been an Expert player for a while, and this looks pretty neat.

No-hit is pretty masochistic, especially on a lot of these bosses even pre-mod. I imagine a lot of the endgame bosses will use copious amounts of teleportation, if not other mobility items introduced to make up for the loss of wings.

Shield of Cthulhu is a best in slot item IMO. It's so hard to go without the dash both for bosses and just out in the world travelling.

I imagine Skeletron is even more of a nightmare on this difficulty. Good luck

Raverist

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
Steel, Tough
Update time once more, I'm almost done with the prehardmode bosses, then the real fun begins.

Replies:

@0 Anonymous: Yeah, Terraria's got 2 solid huge mods in Calamity and Thorium, the latter being a much gentler experience though only having one post-vanilla boss. Regarding teleportation abuse...well, using the Rod of Discord is allowed, but taking damage from it through use during Chaos State nullifies the attempt, and even in casual use the RoD debuff makes you take a lot more damage, making it risky. There's a couple of other rules regarding certain items (use of mounts is generally frowned upon and judged more severely) but we'll cross those bridges when we get there. Regarding the SoC, it is a much better option for nohitting than the counter scarf, since a bonk can still save an attempt while a dash invulnerability disqualifies that attempt. And as for Skeletron, you'd be surprised.

All said and done, this next batch of fights is all vanilla bosses.

Last time we left, we had just finished beating down the Eye of Cthulhu and Crabulon with a reasonable number of deaths, with our current death total currently sitting at 36. Between then and now, I worked on arena preparation, making a decently sized hole in the Crimson to fight the bosses there while using Cheat Sheet to plop a lengthy strip of ebonstone beneath the arena used for crab and EoC so I have something to work with. In terms of extra gear, I went ahead and farmed a blood moon comfortably for a shark tooth necklace, which grants 5 armour penetration, allowing me to straight up ignore a sizable portion of enemy defence. The necklace is surprisingly viable into hardmode, and isn't too shabby, until you get a hold of emblems and better accessories.

The next boss on my list, given the natural biome, is the Brain of Cthulhu, a boss who is generally seen as a complete pushover in vanilla, even in Expert mode where he gets a gimmicky illusion move that is thwarted by vigilant use of eyesight and actually using a map to spot where his icon appears. In Rev, he gets a couple of tiny little tweaks regarding his ads, the Creepers, in that they regenerate over time slowly, as well as having increased knockback. Doesn't seem too bad, right?

Wrong.

Oh, so very, very wrong.

Attempts: One hundred and thirty.

Clauses: Creeper phase, 1000 DPS, Mobile phase, 350 DPS, 25 seconds, must remain in the Crimson biome during mobile phase.

So the arena full of gravestones? That's down not to the rev changes exclusively. You see, there's a simple explanation as to why this boss took this many attempts.

The Brain of Cthulhu is a fucking broken piece of cheap shit.

Allow me to explain. The way the fight works is that the brain teleports frequently, with the creepers swarming around it. When the creepers reach him, he'll launch them in your general direction, and if they take damage from an attack you make during travel, will reset the creeper AI to return to sender. This doesn't sound so bad, but consider the teleportation aspect. There's every chance the brain will teleport directly on top of you, instantly killing you with contact damage. If you see this coming and quickly move out of the way in time? You suddenly find yourself sandwiched between brain and creepers hurtling towards you at speed. Oh, but that's not the worst of it. See, when a new creeper spawns, thanks to some insidious programming on the part of Re-Logic, the hitbox of the creepers is rendered before the sprite of the creeper, and more than a few times when all was going well did I suddenly explode when a creeper spawned inside my hitbox. And then there's the mobile phase mentioned earlier. See, the rev brain spawns creepers throughout the fight, and in the mobile phase the brain picks up movement speed and zeroes in towards you, teleporting close to you from a few angles.

The creepers can spawn when he's near you and instagib you without a chance for you to actually fucking move. This boss is so disgustingly unfair that Calamity's dev team saw the vid, shook their heads and next update are making his fight less bullshit by cutting out the extra spawns and phase 1 contact damage the brain has, but giving the brain and creepers more health and aggression. There's only so much one can do against a terribly coded boss, and the brain of cthulhu definitely holds the title of Worst Terraria Boss. It is so cheap that I just couldn't do it with summons alone.

So I went and grabbed a minishark gun to keep a rapid fire upon the creeper hordes and phase 2 brain, and used the Calamity magic weapon Frost Bolt to weaken the cluster before going in for the kill. I ain't the proudest for lowering myself to such a level, but against a boss this legitimately unfair it was a move that needed to be made.

After that absolute mess, I was a bit worried for the next fight, the Corruption's Eater of Worlds, AKA the OG Worm Boss. Granted, its rev tweaks are generally more on the defensive side, though the head section now has access to a cursed fireball attack. Now, I could have just used the BoC drops against the EoW, but that's not allowed by the rules as the evil bosses are to be fought concurrently with the same tier of post-Crabulon gear. So how rough was this one?

Attempts: 17.

Clauses: 800 DPS, 20 seconds.

As it turns out, not too bad.

The cursed fireballs are quicker than the vile clots fired by the body, but are much more visible and easier to dodge. The main threat of this fight was the fact the worm is very, very long, and I had to play around its length and remain above it: If it ended up encirlcing me, that attempts was null and void as there was no way out but the cold embrace of death. Good thing the EoW's always had a reputation as being an easy boss who is shredded by piercing moves, and I had to be careful in this fight. One attempt I had was thrown out because I used 2 hermit crab minions, and half the fight's dps was a good 12-1500, well above the guideline limit. The fight was easy enough though, and most of my deaths were due to carelessness.

Now is probably a good time to mention lore items and potions, by the way. Beside the treasure bag of the EoW, I show a number of potions, all of which can be crafted pre-boss using blood orbs from the blood moon, though quite a lot are required, which is why I cheated them in. It's fair game. From left to right, top to bottom, said potions are the Zen Potion (Calamity, massively reduces natural mob spawn rates, allowed for nohit attempts), Wrath potion (vanilla, 10% more damage, crimson-made), Bounding potion (Calamity, increases jumping skills, made with jungle stuff), Calcium potion (Calamity, negates all fall damage, made with skeleton drops), Hunter, Swiftness, Summoning and Shine potions (all vanilla, makes enemies glow, boosts movement speed, grants +1 minions and brightens things up respectively, mostly QoL pots). As for the squiggly thing, that's a lore item, which grant effects when kept in your inventory, a fun little calamity trinket.

Most bosses will drop their own lore item, and while most of the items are fine, some are banned for nohits. King Slime drops no item, the Desert Scorge's gives a defence boost when in the desert, the EoC grants permanent night vision during the night (very useful for recording), Crabulon grants the Mushy buff underground which boosts life regen, the BoC's can be used in the Crimson as a Rod of Discord and is one of the banned lore items, while the EoW's spawns damaging microbes around you, much like a weaker sea urchin, and is fair game. I chose not to use this though.

Two down, and for the next fight we had a choice. With access to the corruption and crimson picks, we have access to hellstone, something I completely forgot was allowed for the next fights (this didn't matter too much for reasons I'll get into next time), and thinking things through, the next boss I wanted to fight was Queen Bee of the jungle, because her drops would let me craft bee armour, a vanilla summoning set that grants 2 extra minion slots over the Calamity +1 armour sets. Granted, this would mean I would have to forgo Calamity's answer to the evil bosses, but it was a risk I was willing to make. Her rev changes were small, but considerable: her bee spawns come faster, and she can fire two stingers at once on occasion as well as stingers being a bit quicker launched.

Attempts: 36.

Clauses: 550 DPS, 30 seconds.

Well this was a toughie. What makes QB a tricky opponent is that her movement is flowing and difficult to predict, meaning you don't have much time to prepare for a phase change. In her stinging phase she tends to hover above you and weaves left to right shooting at you, in her bee stage she likes to stay still but will dive down towards you if you move too far from her, while her charging phase can come at any time and gets very fast the weaker she is. Oh, and her defence increases as her health drops thanks to Expert Mode. It was a bit of a lengthy fight, but thankfully respawning was easy enough thanks to a jungle planetoid having just enough blocks to count as a biome, letting me use abeeminations to spawn her.

I chose to not show the attempt where I forgot to apply buffs and plummeted straight to my death. Regarding accessories, I replaced the SoC which was more a hindrance to me this fight as I kept dashing into stingers and dying with Crabulon's expert drop, the Fungal Clump. This is one of the situations where it came in useful due to the minion's tendency to stick to the bee and output steady damage, but even then we needed a way around the defence boost. This is where the Plasma Rod, dropped from goblin sorcerors during the goblin army event, came to the rescue. It applies 5 debuffs to the target, mostly DoTs which changed in Rev, for a few seconds. Specifically, it applies Shadowflame (-15 dps, 1 sec) Ichor (-25% DR, 2 secs), Frostburn (-8dps, 3 secs), On Fire (-4 dps, 4 secs) and Poison (-2 dps, 5 secs). A lot of vanilla debuffs got buffs in Calamity, and the important one here is ichor, as that negates the defence boost QB gets. Her lore item is useful for jungle exploration as it makes bees and hornets passive, and in terms of expert exclusive drops roundup, the BoC's Brain of Confusion is hot garbage, the EoW's Worm Scarf is extremely good for non nohitters, granting 10% DR (nerfed from vanilla's 17%), while QB's Hive Pack boosts the strength of friendly bees and makes her beenade drops ludicrous.

With that said and done, tune in next time where we'll take on Calamity's own variants of the evil bosses, the bloody worm and the corrupt brain.

Current Progress:

Bosses Defeated:
PHM: 7/12
HM: ??/??
PV: ??/??

Boss Death Count: 216.

Raverist

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
Steel, Tough
Somewhat late this time, but a bit of a break between fights and world prep for hardmode was the cause of delay.

With our previous endeavours, we defeated the Queen Bee and got our hands on her bee wax, which we used between updates to give ourselves a transitionary offensive upgrade. The Bee Armour grants 2 minion slots over the single of Victide and grants a greater summoning damage boost, but that's about it. I'll be using it solely for the extra minion slot, taking us to a total of 4, which will be enough to push through the next couple of bosses. Speaking of, with our natural crimson arena the next choice are the perforators, Calamity's Crimson take on the Eater of Worlds. It differs in the fact that it's technically four minibosses in one, with the main fight being against the fleshy hive which calls forth the actual perforator worms after losing 30% of its health in stages. For the next 3 Calamity bosses, Dokuro collaborated with a musician by the handle of SixteenInMono, who specialises in guitar, and Blood Coagulant is the result. Personally...I'm not the biggest fan of this theme, which is a shame because the fight itself?

Attempts: 28.

Clauses: 400 DPS for the hive, 1800 DPS for the worms, 45 seconds.

This was fun. You'll notice I cut out the lower platform in the arena. This is because the worms have excellent horizontal movement, but bad vertical movement, and the platform there gave them enough leeway to reach me and kill me a good few times. The fight itself is easy enough, and the Rev changes aren't too extreme, merely making the hive's blood and ichor shots more frequent. This took me a good few attempts to do simply because I got a bit careless, but also because getting those worms below you can be risky as you bring the hive down, and this puts you at risk of getting hit by the clots. The actual attacks are very easy to avoid mercifully. One hermit crab lives on the ground, three starfish and the fungal clump deal with the main boss and worms when they come round.

The main drops here are blood samples, which are used to craft blood themed weaponry, and the Expert drop is the Bloody Worm Tooth, which is pretty much a melee based combat accessory that gives a little DR and 10% melee damage increase. The lore item enables your projectiles to inflict ichor while within the crimson, and isn't too useful in the long run being completely honest.

One down, one to go. The corruption arena we have will be host to the hive mind, Calamity's answer to the awfulness that is the Brain of Cthulhu. This is a proper two phase boss, with two separate health bars to chew through, and is a bit complex in behaviour. In phase one it's immobile, occasionally teleporting to your position, while it becomes mobile in phase two, dashing away from you when it takes a few hits and teleporting nearby all while moving towards you. Oh, and it pretty much constantly spawns corruption enemies throughout the fight. Its theme, The Filthy Mind, in contrast to the Perfs, is one of my favourite tracks, mostly due to that damn flutey bit.

Wait, this sounds like the polar opposite of ther Perforators...

Attempts: 30.

Clauses: 400 DPS, 1 minute 10 seconds.

Yikes.

So you see here that I went away from summoner mostly and went with the ranged Victide set. That's because summoner really, really struggles with this fight. Let's start with the fact that we're immediately outnumbered. The dank creepers are very aggressive, and on rev+ spawn damaging rain clouds on death. Those are not the trouble. No, most of my deaths here came from the hive blobs, those small eyeball things, and the fact they fire small, hard to spot toxic clots at you. No combo of minions could handle the sheer numbers, and the fact more enemies spawned as he took more damage made things clear that I'd have to take drastic measures. This will be the last time I resort to secondary class utility.

Phase 2's a tricky one. Not only does he have a ridiculous chunk of health (over 12000) and continues to spawn mooks, but he occasionally will circle you and dash at you in Rev. He's much more predictable and fun in Death Mode, where his phase 2 teleports are followed by one of three moves, but I digress. Using Calamity's Pumpler with Acceleration rounds (guess what their effect is) I found the fight much easier to handle, and I sure as hell wasn't wanting a repeat of the BoC in terms of death count.

As for drops, HM coughs up True Shadow Scales, with which I made a new summoning weapon I'll showcase next update in the Dank Staff. There's also the Crimson variant, the Blood Clot Staff, but that one is completely inferior. For one, both staves have the same base damage, so behaviour of minion is the important factor here, and quite frankly the blood clot minions, with their low aggro range and tendency to stick near you, is nowhere near as good as the dank creeper minion's general longer range. The Expert drop of the Corrupt Brain is a bit of a double edged sword: while it does boost all damage if you're below 75% health, the reduced movement speed at half dead can be dangerous and the shade rain that you spawn on getting hit is also pointless. Its lore item is basically the same as ther Perfs, only replace ichor with cursed flames which does a DoT and -20% DR and crimson with corruption.

Two more bosses downed, leaving only three more. Next time, we do battle with a literal god.

Current Progress:

Bosses Defeated:
PHM: 9/12
HM: ??/??

Boss Death Count: 273.

Raverist

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
Steel, Tough
A bit of a boss backlog made up, having waited for a mod update, but here we are.

When last we left Slacksworth, we had just bested the Perforators and Hive Mind, granting us access to a new ore that spawns when either of the two are downed, Aerialite, and with it a new armour set whose static set bonus negates fall damage completely. This is good because the next two fights will utilise mobility big time. On the agenda first is the bane of Expert Prehardmode, Skeletron. A boss who has always been a tough nut to crack in vanilla, his tweaks in Rev aren't major, merely more aggressive and faster, plus the ability to fire skulls at a quickened rate from the get-go. So how did we do? How many scalps did ol' bonehead take from us?

Attempts: 80.

Clauses: 450 DPS, 1 minute.

This was a good fight that took me numerous attempts to properly learn. The worst bit about him without a doubt are his hands, which flail around and can catch you offguard when his head spins while they reel back for a swipe, as they won't return to being above said head until their attack is finished. When one of the hands drops, his homing skulls will start spawning throughout the fight. The second worst bit about Skeletron is having to spawn him in for each retry, as he's one of the few bosses who lacks a summoning item, and thus rematches either require waiting a full day for the old man to respawn, or to do as I did and just cheat the thing in. He's also got a meaty 11k HP to chew through, but that's not hard when the hands go down.

While his drops are completely useless to us (his expert drop is a throwing weapon and he may drop a magic one too) his lore item boosts your stats in the dungeon and is indispensable for exploration there. Regarding gear, the Aerospec summoner set grants 16% minion damage, one minion and comes with a valkyrie minion with a base power of 25 who dashes sporadically, a generally useful one to have. Meanwhile we used that Dank Staff I mentioned last update, as well as a support weapon in the Marked Magnum. It has a lowly base power of 3, but inflicts the Marked debuff, which drops the enemy's DR by a ludicrous 50%. Quite a few bosses are affected by this, and because the weapon deals classless damage it doesn't trigger the offclass summoner damage nerf, so you're damn right we're using it for the foreseeable future.

One down, and a dungeon trip later we're prepared to fight the next Calamity boss, the Slime God. Or rather, the gods, for this fight is against three entities. This one gets complicated, but basically the fight is against two King Slimes and a fast moving target, all of which lob projectiles at you. It's considered the hardest preHM fight by far, and Return to Slime featuring 16inmono pretty much fits the grim difficulty of this battle. We're in a tight spot, but this isn't impossible to do as a summoner. Why?

Attempts: 110.

Clauses: 700 DPS, 1 minute 20 seconds.

Behold, the secret technique passed down through generations: platforms!

In all seriousness this one was a hard fight. Mobility isn't too bad, but those giant blobs if offscreen will zoom straight over to you fast, and most of the time you'll get rammed by them. The sporadic spawning of small slimes is also rough, with the crimulan spiked slimes capable of shooting at you while the ebonian winged ones will simply swoop down to eat you. As each one dies, the others get buffed, with the core going down vastly reducing the range before the big blobs rush you. If red goes first, then purple gets to start shooting mines, while purple dying first gives red a defence buff.

As for my strategy, it was simple: meet their army with my own. One major biome added by Calamity is the Abyss, paying homage to Subnautica, and within the depths lies the Herring Staff, whose minions take up half a slot allowing one to summon twice as many. Combine this with the Bewitching Table from the dungeon and the bee armour and I could call upon ten fishies when fully buffed up, which is more than enough to handle the large blobs and their minions. The fungal clum gluing itself to the core also helped things proceed well.

As far as drops go, we get Purified Gel as a crafting component, which can upgrade our armour, as well as weapon drops in the Crimslime and Corroslime staves. Both are pretty much suped up slime staffs, but with minions that aren't idiots, but they frankly only have one culpable fight to participate in and even then herrings do the swarming job much better. Their expert exclusive drop is a funky magic accessory that comes with negative life regen, which while not directly illegal for nohits does mean you have to watch your health rather than your character in such cases. The lore item is a complete meme though: For the price of 10 defence, you are permanently slimed and friction no longer applies to any block you're on, meaning you'll slide forever until you stop yourself. But by far the best drop from the bag is the electrolyte pack, a power up like Crabulon's mushroom root, but this one lowers the time to charge adrenaline by 10 seconds, taking us from 45 to 35. I don't need to explain why faster nukes are good.

And that does it for this up...

...no.

You know what, screw it. Prehardmode only has one fight left against the wall of flesh, and we're basically geared up to take him on already. Sure his rev changes means he'll be firing lasers from the beginning, and yeah he has 21k HP to slog through, but compared to the other two we just battled, he's laughably easy. Let's freaking go.

Attempts: 24.

Clauses: 800 DPS, 40 seconds.

Well that was disappointing. Most of my deaths came from a badly designed arena: I had thin walls to block the lasers I kept getting caught in. The Hungrys may be bulkier, but quite frankly 4 herrings are more than capable of handling them, as well as the fungal clump who is given an honorary retirement afterwards. The scary thing with the WoF is the last chunk, and you'll see I delayed my adrenaline in order to just burst down that final 15%, for at 5% the boss officially outruns you and death will be certain unless you get it first.

Regarding equipment, the Statigel set's minion is another slime, but the main reason to use it is the set bonus of an extra jump. I also utilised the Old One's Army Ballista Rod to get in one more source of powerful chip damage for the final burst, but sentry minions in general aren't the most useful for the most part. WoF's regular drops are still good, especially the demon heart which gives you an invaluable 6th accessory slot, though the lore item isn't too impressive, merely granting 50% extra item grab range. Needless to say. for full effectiveness of the build I need 3 summoner emblems, so a few rematches will be necessary, though with stronger minions to simply melt him in seconds.

All said and done, that's the easy fights over and done with, and now we're in Hardmode, we finally get to experience the unmitigated agony that is the defiled rune as we begin to battle hardmode bosses, fights that generally require wings, without the use of wings. This is going to hurt, and I can reveal just how many of these fiends there are.

Current Progress:

Bosses Defeated:

PHM: 12/12.
HM: 0/17.

Boss Death Count: 484.

Raverist

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
Steel, Tough
With us now fully into Hardmode, things are going to get a bit spicy. There's a heap of bosses to take down, and each and every single one of them is a trial in their own way. With that out the way, let's get on with the real meat.

With the dawning of Hardmode, the world gets some major changes. Vanilla hardmode gives us an expanded evil biome, as well as the Hallow, but Calamity adds a new biome subtype in the Astral Infection, brought about by a meteorite scripted to land when the wall falls. For now it's merely a source of stardust which gives us access to some neat things, but our main options are varied. Due to how the rules work, we have a total of six bosses we can fight: vanilla's mechanical bosses, and Calamity's mech alts, unique bosses who serve as an alternate source of boss souls if you don't like fighting certain mech bosses (read: Skeletron Prime). However, community census has it that the first one fought should really always be Cryogen, a snow biome boss who is the alt to the Destroyer. He's surprisingly complex for a boss though, with several different phases, but I'll explain that shortly. For now, chill to his boss theme, Antarctic Reinforcement. It's one of the first boss themes made for the mod.

Attempts: 37.

Clauses: 1200 DPS, 1 minute.

Opting to do things a bit differently here to avoid the bore.

Cryo was a fun fight. He's not completely overpowered, his attacks are very frequent but not overwhelmingly so, and his later stages get frantic, especially once he dips below 15% and starts derping out, rushing at you. If you try to cheese him by sticking beneath him, he'll rain icicles down onto your position, and the shield regenerates frequently, but doesn't have much health to it.

With hardmode, we're given several major upgrades. The most important of these is the Ancient Ice Chunk, a summoning weapon that drops from Calamity's ice claspers. These are easily one of the best minions in the game solely for their ability to ignore terrain, and we make excellent use of them. The Spider armour from vanilla grants us 3 minion slots, which combined with the bewitched and summoning potion buffs gives us 6 minions, but what about the other 2? Those come from proficiency, which is a hidden stat that basically serves as class experience, and grants us up to 3 extra slots, though the third slot is reserved for post-vanilla in general. Another object of limited value is the queen spider staff, a sentry minion that doesn't count towards your normal minion count, but it didn't do too much, as sentry minions are a bit hit and miss. One massive change though is the Lunic Eye, which is a superior Marked Magnum with homing shots and a fantastic sidearm that will last us until the lategame. Accessory-wise, the sixth slot comes in extremely useful, as the fungal clump is set aside for the Eye of the Storm, which summons a cloud elemental minion that serves as a fairly strong melee minion. It's one of five elemental minion accessories, all of which come together much later on to form a super accessory, but that won't be for a long time yet. We also have the Deific amulet. As of the most recent update it received a necessary nerf, but the main draw of it is that it basically culminates a number of vanilla accessories to provide a number of nifty utilities, most of them useless for nohitting, but grants 10 armour penetration. Back when this nohit was done, it provided a major 25 armour pen boost.

Cryo...really doesn't offer us much useful items. None of his weapons are for summoner, the frigid bars he drops aren't too useful for us either, and we can't make use of his expert-only Soul of Cryogen due to it being wings, nor the Rev-exclusive Frost Flare which is better for someone who isn't full health and is just iffy to use. That being said, the Souls of Might will have some utility, and there is that old geezer who spawns when Cryo dies. Oh, but his lore item grants us a dash, which instantly outclasses the Shield of Cthulhu by virtue of not being an accessory.

One down, and time to explain some stuff. At first, my plan was to do an alt, then a mech, and the next fight would have been the Twins. However, after numerous failed attempts, I realised I really needed some proper mobility to fight them (as well as the fact they hadn't had their AI updated yet), so instead the plan is to get shot of the mech alts first, then deal with the horror that is vanilla bosses built around having flight. To that end, we have a visit to the piss ocean known as the Sulphurous Sea, which resides above the Abyss I mentioned earlier, to fight the Aquatic Scourge, the world's best and friendliest toothed noodle. Really, one of the quirks of it is that it does not attack until provoked when spawned, and due to suppression of regular enemy spawns is your best friend for fishing in the biome. His theme is literally a remix of the Desert Scourge, but this oceanic cousin definitely has teeth to bear...

Attempts: 82.

Clauses: 3500 DPS, 55 seconds.

Okay.

On one hand, this one soared over the guidelines a few times. On the other, I discovered a nasty bug whereby minions would only target and damage the head section, a bug that has since been fixed. As you can see, that didn't matter two jots.

The wet worm has full flight capabilities, but is hampered by a turning circle that would put a bendy bus to shame. He makes up for this by spawning sulphurous sea mooks, which get ripped apart pretty much instantly by my minions, as well as frequently vomiting up clouds of deadly gas, slow homing teeth which got me the most times, and blasts of sand. He's a surprising fight to say the least.

Most prominent of my weaponry is the addition of the Cryogenic Staff, that icy minion. The old guy from earlier sells that, as well as other ice related weaponry and tools (including the memetic Coldheart icicle, which has all the range of a pencil but does a fixed 2% max life damage and can kill just about anything in 50 hits) but the AS is especially vulnerable to it. It does have a bit of a wind up time, but its high base damage and sheer projectile spam makes it indispensable for punching through anything worm shaped. It's just a really damn good sentry. The thing in slot 1 is the shellfish staff which drops from giant clams in hardmode, and is actual garbage that should never be used for anything and I curse myself for wasting time and energy farming for it. The armour is the daedalus set, which spawns and can be mined after downing Cryogen, and is a respectable summoner set who has no direct set bonus other than damage and the crystal minion with its base damage of 95, not bad at all. However, the scourge required me to sacrifice damage for mobility, a trend that will become frequent for a lot of hardmode. In order, we've got the Aero Stone which drops from the desert and aquatic scourge, providing faster jumps and a tiny damage boost, the Frog Leg, which greatly amplifies jump height and allows auto jumping, and the Grand Gelatin, which provides small boosts of health and mana, as well as even more jump speed. The buffs certainly help, and with hardmode we need to use some proper buffs. To our collection, we have the Calamitas Brew (mostly for the 15% acceleration), the Moscow Mule (alcoholic, grants damage buff), the Caribbean Rum (alcoholic, grants extra air time), Fabsol's Vodka (alcoholic, damage buff) and the syringe item of Yharim's Stimulants (basically a better Well Fed buff). The alcohols were chosen carefully, as having more than 3 booze buffs will outright tank your life regen, and chugging pretty much everything will instantly kill you thanks to having a life regen rate of roughly -5000.

The Wet Worm's drops are literally the Desert Scourge's, But Better. The Deepsea Staff is a bit stronger than the claspers, but they can get stuck in the environment, and it's really a matter of preference on utility. His Expert drop is a better underwater accessory, while his lore item makes you immune to the poisoning of the sulphurous waters as well as buffing the well fed buff, but it's not a game breaker by any means. Oh well, at least we have souls of sight and can craft the still outclassed Optic Staff.

Two down, one left. This next journey takes us back underground to the depths of hell, to the Brimstone Crag, a sorrowful place that is home to the aptly named Brimstone Elemental. The crags themselves aren't that bad a place to farm for money, as all the enemies within spawn in preHM and can be easily burned down with minions, and they have some useful crafting materials as well. Brimmy on the other hand, is far from merciful, and would prefer to be left alone to wallow in her own despair. This definitely is a different style of boss theme, but her backstory fits it. According to Calamity lore, she was once worshipped as a divine being, but over time was forgotten, until one day the underworld city was outright annihilated by someone, who then dunked on her and left her for dead. Since then she's became little more than a feral beast, one that needs to be put out of her misery.

Attempts: 38.

Clauses: 1400 DPS, 1 minute.

oh my fucking god i have never been so mildly frustrated at a boss minion before

So Brimmy herself isn't too hard, and is fairly predictable in her AI: She'll float at you and teleport a couple times, then perform a few fly-bys bombing you with brimstone fireballs before encasing herself in a resistant shield and launching fireballs and darts at you, then repeat. So why the frustrations? The Brimlings. Not only are they ludicrously bulky for a boss minion (four thousand HP, jesus christ) but they teleport like brimbo and get the same defence buff when they drop below 1k, and killing them is pointless because as soon as the main boss TPs, a new one spawns. They also draw the attention of minions, and it got to the point where I realised summoner wasn't gonna cut it this fight. Heck, summoner is a hard class to play in early hardmode.

In the end I took a ranged approach, using a vanilla megashark and vanilla ichor bullets with the daedalus ranged helm to slowly wear her down. The most heinous part of this fight is the fact that I realistically only got a second or two of adrenaline before the busty rose hid away and rendered my boosts moot, and the brimlings getting in the way of shots, which is why the fight took so bloody long. I didn't need as much mobility as I had, but I replaced the EotS with stress pills (8% damage, 6% DR) regardless, and the fight was pretty much a case of keeping all three entities onscreen so I could evade them.

Brimmy's drops are at least respectable. Her regular drops aren't too special save Abaddon, which grants immunity to the brimstone flames debuff and makes grinding in the crags easier, while her expert drop Gehenna isn't overly useful until later, simply dropping fireballs on your foes. The Rose Stone meanwhile is another of those elemental minion items, and no prizes for guessing which elemental it summons to fight for you. Her lore item gives a buff to the rare Inferno potion, something I really should use more often given that it's free damage. The Souls of Fright though, means some major upgrades are due...

Three down, three fun fights. Next time, we suck it up and take three foul, mechanical mouthfuls of suffering medicine. I ain't looking forward to these next three fights...

Current Progress:

Bosses Defeated:
PHM: 12/12
HM: 3/17

Boss Death Count: 638.

Raverist

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
Steel, Tough
Normally I'd wait a bit before posting the next set, or until I have a bit of a boss backlog, but frankly I don't think I can wait that long, and given that I want to be a bit more active, I'm just gonna throw down the next set of bosses here.

Previously, we slapped the 3 Calamity mech alts for their soul items and other goodies, in search of a serious mobility upgrade. With that done, we can happily move onto the bane of vanilla players, the actual mechanical bosses.

I do not look forward to this one at all. Each one got completely reworked in Rev+ to be much more exciting and tougher, but at the end of the day they are still vanilla bosses and thus have the flaws that they had in vanilla. Of course, the first one on the chopping block is the Destroyer, the other OG Worm Boss, replete with probes and lasers everywhere. Considered a pushover in vanilla due to the existence of holy arrows and the daedalus stormbow, his revamp makes him a threat once more. How much of one?

Attempts: 197.

Clauses: ~3000 DPS, 1 minute, Phase 3 must last at least 15 seconds.

oof.

In Rev+, Destroyer gets faster as he loses more probes, which no longer drop hearts. When he drops below two thirds, he starts firing blue lasers that freeze and slow you, while phase 3 at 1/3rd of his health transitions to the green lasers at the end, which home in on your position. Getting too far from him also prompts him to start flying. On top of all that, sections without probes will lob scrap metal randomly, meaning they're still a threat.

Summons were once again a major liability here due to his shape and the fact that I very quickly got overwhelmed by probes. Instead, we went with a rogue setup, using the Spear of Paleolith to deal consistent damage. When lobbed, the spear drops fragments behind it that do a portion of the damage, and it serves to provide steady damage to the worm boss, and is one of the best weapons for fighting him, period. I actually beat him 3 times: The first time I completely melted him and had to throw that attempt out due to breaking dps limits, the second attempt I hadn't hit the record button. You'll see I utilised a unicorn mount in order to keep pace with him: going on foot wasn't helping me much. Regarding accessories, I upgraded my frostspark boots to the Angel Treads, which combines them with vanilla's Lava Waders to give some good footwear that ups our max running speed from 33 mph to 41 mph. Our bundle of balloons also received an upgrade in the MOAB, technically a set of wings, but wings that retain the triple jump of the BoB and will pretty much remain with us for the remainder of our journey. I nerfed my damage output by using far fewer potions, but Destroyer is a bit of a bitch to nohit: if he encircles you, you're dead. If he gets a vector above you and fires his lasers, you're dead.

His drops are basically vanilla ones, with hallowed bars and souls of might being the interesting ones. However, his lore item grants a 10% increase in mining speed and is just really freaking good for spelunking.

One down, and the next task is one of revenge: The Twins had set my plans back significantly, but now we have superior mobility, we're ready to poke Retinazer and Spazmatism where it hurts. Of the three, their changes are a bit tamer, but still significant enough to change their fight completely. How did we fare?

Attempts: 295.

Clauses: 1250 DPS phases 1 and 2, 1000 DPS phase 3, 1 minute and 40 seconds, either twin must remain in P3 for at least 20 seconds.

Yikes.

The Twins, as the name implies, consists of dealing with 2 bosses at once. They remain much and such unchanged for P1, but both must be brought into phase 2 at the same time, as they become invulnerable until then. Things definitely change though, with Spaz's cursed flamethrower now turning into a shadowflame blast and Ret's aim becoming terrifyingly accurate. Phase 3 is where the fun starts though: After dropping to 25% or so, Retinazer will fire lasers at you before making a single very long charge at you, spawning a swarm of seeking missiles to hound you. Spaz meanwhile burps out five or so homing shadowfireballs and charges aggressively and for an extended period, making the fight hectic. I actually enjoyed this one once I actually learned their patterns.

Once again, summons weren't working as well as I'd hoped, so we went ranger. Thanks to killing Destroyer beforehand, we could craft a pickaxe axe and grab chlorophyte to make a shotbow with, and utilised Icicle Arrows from Calamity to do some work. The arrows are crafted from Cryogen's frigid bars if memory serves me, and serve much like vanilla's crystal bullets in that they burst into shards. With the shotgun style of the bow, heavy damage could be output, and the lower health Ret was simply bursted down first because dealing with his missiles is worse than Spaz's fireballs. We sacrificed some damage for mobility and used the frog leg to amplify our meagre flight capabilities (the MOAB can fly using the angel treads built in rocket boots in defiled) and eventually come out on top.

The Twins lore item grants invisibility at night and is thus utterly useless to us. Their drops aren't of mention either, though it should be said that the mechs expert drops are parts of a mechanical minecart.

Well that was positively terrible, but the worst is yet to come. A boss who has widely been hailed as The Worst Vanilla Boss in pretty much any poll ever made, Skeletron Prime has been described as, and I quote head mod dev Fabsol, "the most unfun thing since a dentist appointment where the dentist has four arms and wants to replace your teeth with broken glass." This was before the mech rework though, so surely the four armed dentist isn't going to be tough, right?

Attempts: 912.

Clauses: 1500 DPS phase 1, 1000 DPS phase 2, 2 minutes and 15 seconds, phase 2 must last at least 60 seconds.

Absolutely disgusting.

Let me preface: Casually, new Prime is a very fun fight, with plenty of tricks and upgrades to his limbs. The cannon fires rockets rather than bombs, the laser is more accurate and can fire in a ring, the vice and saw are more aggressive and as each arm drops the others get angrier. When cannon and laser fall, prime's head inherits their spread shot and laser ring, and the head doesn't do its obnoxious spinny move until phase 2, while remaining nigh invulnerable until all four arms die. In phase 2 he occasionally flies in a big ring and spawns Destroyer's probes because of course he can, and can rapid fire laser rings around him while spinning.

All factors combined makes Prime by far the worst boss I have ever fought in a nohit.

Let's see here: In the over 900 attempts made, I'd say about 60 of them were successful in reaching phase 2. About 250 of these attempts lasted less than 5 seconds because Prime is really fucking good at spawnkilling you, be it through his sudden mad rush towards you, bad spawn locations (being at a 45 degree angle onscreen from you is an unavoidable hit), the cannon firing offscreen while you try and get into position or just the laser being a right shithead. Prime's laser and cannon earn animosity though for the fact that about 10% of the time they won't properly despawn and will instead hover around your death position onscreen, teabagging the space your corpse occupies while firing their attacks nonstop. Basically, this fight was a complete fucking mess and I hate Prime with every fibre of my being with a passion that burns brighter than a hundred supernovae.

That being said, summoner actually worked here, but not in the traditional manner. I used the bottom and top parts of the spider armour for minions, but the headgear was one of the tavernkeep armour helmets, which provide an extra sentry slot as well as a meaty 30% summon damage boost. I ditched the deific amulet as the 10 armour pen was definitely inferior to the 12% damage buff of the Avenger emblem, while the rose stone was pushed aside for an OOA accessory that grants a third sentry slot. With these I could summon three cryogenic sentries to help keep up damage, and served solely to bruteforce through the first horrible phase. Even then, the fight was tense as heck and I had to utilise the rod of discord to avoid certain death a few times, being careful not to double rod. Things were hairy indeed.

Prime's lore item is basically a shark tooth necklace in that it gives 5 armour pen, and while not spectacular it is at least free damage boosting, if menial, for the low price of an inventory slot. His usual stuff is shared with the other mechs, but I'm just glad to be done with this piece of shit and his stupid grimace.

Fun fact: Prime took me more tries than the first 16 bosses combined.

Mechs downed, we can actually move onto bosses who are fun to fight. Next time, we deal with a blood red inferno and kick a plant.

Current Progress:

Bosses Defeated:
HM: 6/17

Boss Death Count: 2039.

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Capable of casually moving faster than the speed of sound. His top speed is unknown, though some theorise it to be faster than light itself.
All factors combined makes Prime by far the worst boss I have ever fought in a nohit.
It's as the old saying goes...

"One shall stand. One shall fall."

Raverist

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
Steel, Tough
Now I have the next couple done, it's time for an update.

Replies:

@Neosonic97: Indeed. Though in the above case it was more like 911 Shall Fall Before The Other One Does. Prime smelly.

All mech bosses defeated, it's time for us to push onwards to the proper meat of the game. Because the mech bosses offered us very little aside from access to chlorophyte using the Pickaxe Axe (It's a pickaxe that's also an axe) we set our sights on the jungle, and the resident sealed evil in a bulb. However, there is a sorta alternate boss Calamity adds, that being the mod's namesake and major figure, Calamitas. Or rather, the Calamitas Clone. The real one's much, much later. The real one was also responsible for doing a lot of nasty shit for the big bad, who had the clones made as a failsafe in case she backstabbed him.

Spoilers: she did, and got cursed in return. Semantics aside, we're here to fight the clone.

Attempts: 308.

Clauses: ~2300 DPS alone, no limits on minion phases, 1 minute 50 seconds.

This one sucked for a while.

For a start, I must stress that Clone by herself is embarrassingly easy to work around. She fires lasers that split into 3 and begin to home in after a bit, but these are of little threat by themselves. When the fight really gets going though is when you drop her below 75%. At this point, the screen darkens with a red tint, Raw, Unfiltered Calamity starts playing and shit gets real. A new health bar appears as phase 2 begins with her fully healed at three quarters of her original health, and exploding fireballs are added. Those are also piss easy to avoid and the fight remains a dawdle.

And then Cataclysm spawns and burns your entire skeleton off.

See, what makes Clonelamitas so challenging is that the fight intensifies. At 70% of the new HP, her fleshy brother spawns who basically acts like Spazmatism in behaviour with brimstone flamethrower and charges, though his are not as aggressive. Kill him, and you must, for clone reduces all damage to 1 or 2 until he falls, and you can keep blasting her. At 50%, she spawns five Soul Seekers. These little shits orbit her and have enough health to linger around, but not enough to be genuinely tanky, all while occasionally lobbing brimstone darts at you and periodically spawning life seekers, which are literally destroyer probes but with bat AI and more health. Clone can still be damaged though, and at 40% adds to the clusterfuck with her other brother, Catastrophe. He has shorter but faster charges, charges more than Cataclysm, and has very easy to avoid bouncing fireballs when not charging, and 9 times out of 10 you'll be facing him during seeker phase. Thankfully once you push through that mess you're home free with an easily avoided clone...right up until 10% whereby both brothers are reborn to push your shit in once more.

All that being said, I tried summons and found the damage output and difficulty in keeping up meant I had to use another class, and since we've showcased rogue and ranged already and melee is suicidal against clone, why not demonstrate mage? We utilised the Chlorophyte mage set solely for the set bonus of a crystal that fires leaves for more damage output, while utilising more mobility for the fight. As for weapon choice, there was one surefire winner: The Super Heated Plasma Cannon, or SHPC. This is a special mage weapon in that it's a Legendary weapon that drops from the Destroyer (yes, we got it from the numerous bags from the 3 destroyers murked) and has two firing modes. Right click will fire a constant barrage of beams, while left click lobs 3 explosive bombs that linger with explosions doing constant damage, and the weapon is super effective at demolishing the brothers and seekers as well as keeping within limits for clone. I really liked this fight, though seeker phase was a bitch I had trouble overcoming until I learned a patter to survive and stalled for an adrenaline boost to pop them at once.

Clone's drops are magnificent. While we have no use for her ashes of calamity, her expert drop is the Void of Calamity, by itself a decent damage boost though at a cost of a hidden -30% DR, but can immediately be crafted into the Void of Extinction for a free 15% damage boost as well as occasional brimstone fireballs raining from the sky. There's also Entropy's Vigil, our new summon weapon for now, and her lore item. Oh boy, I've been waiting for this one...in exchange for reduction of your max HP by 25%, you gain two minion slots. Two. It goes without saying but I'm never removing this one.

With clone downed, we have access to a couple of nifty treats, and I took time out to do some arena prep, including digging out a bigger room in the Dungeon for farming. This tunneling went ludicrously fast with use of Destroyer lore, mining potions and a mining accessory to the point where I could run in a straight line and instantly mine anything in my path. That being said, Plantera, while connected to the dungeon as the binding seal over its nastier inhabitants, is found in the jungle, and that means we have a job to do there, as much as the jungle in hardmode is suffering.

Attempts: 78.

Clauses: 1800 DPS phase 1, none phase 2, 50 seconds, phase 2 must last at least 10 seconds.

Why did this take me that many attempts? Oh right, rev+ changes.

Plantera's recent rework was a buff to make the second phase much more exciting. She remains mostly the same during phase 1, except that her hooks no longer deal contact damage. This is good because those hooks used to give a lot of people hassle. Instead, she becomes much more aggressive if the number of active blocks around her are low. This is the reason the arena has those big chunks of mud: without them, she'd be bumrushing me at speeds the defiled rune isn't meant to handle. Phase 2's where the fun begins though: I believe she becomes resistant to damage when her tentacles spawn, but those were vaporized in no time because of the sheer number of offensive actions in the vicinity. So instead of simply being something you can run around like a silly billy, she stops firing single seeds and begins spitting out very frequent triple spread shots of seeds, while occasionally belching out a plume of spore clouds that move slowly and are designed to restrict your movement. Getting too far from her will result in her picking up rapid speed and rushing to close the distance, and this killed me a number of times. Your strategy therefore is counter-intuitive in that you are to tightly circle her, but to remain just far enough away that you can manoeuvre around the spore clouds and her.

This rework makes Plantera a much more interesting boss, if a bit easier, as her old fight was basically respawning tentacles and not as fun. Our gear setup was simple: Full offensive glass cannon, using spider body and pants and the apprentice hat again to amplify summon damage to its max, then capitalising on our 9 minion slots to call forth Entropy's Vigil, which is literally the Optic Staff But Instead Of Twins It's Calamitas And Her Brothers. Fleshy breathes flamethrowers, metally charges while Calamitamini pew pews little lasers. They win fights through being 27 minions instead of 9. On top of that, beating Calamitas also buffed the Abyss, alllowing its terrible denizens to start dropping components for new weapons, one of which is the new sentry weapon, the Dreadmine Staff. It's simple: it spawns a sentry that spawns homing mines that explode, and said mines ignore some invulnerability frames, allowing them to do much more damage than you'd think. They're generally better than the cryogenic staff, and I like them for it.

Plant's expert drop is outclassed by the VoE, and its lore item outclasses the WoF's in that it extends item grab range. Her regular drops aren't of much use to us either save the Pygmy Staff which we can hold to get some summoning things from the witch doctor, and she also gets special Living Shard drops that are now mandatory to craft vanilla's Terra Blade, which gets a damage buff from Calamity. Those shards are also used in a lot more things, but most importantly of all, Plantera's defeat means we can get ectoplasm, which means we can finally hit the painful Pumpkin and Frost Moon events to get some serious equipment upgrades.

That said and done, our next fights are going to be scary ones, and we have a truckload of grinding to do, which should be expedited by some major boosts we'll get in the meantime. Join us next time where we'll throw ourselves at mechanical king slime and something with a hitbox the size of a planet.

Current Progress:

Bosses Defeated:
HM: 8/17.

Boss Death Count: 2423.

Raverist

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
Steel, Tough
Hoo boy, we're at the stage where I believe I can finish this series up by xmas. Whether I'll be able to is another matter entirely though, but I'm feeling confident.

Previously we defeated Clonelamitas and Plantera and gained access to the hardmode dungeon, as well as a whole heap of new events, including both Pumpkin and Frost Moons, the former of which will supply us with brand new gear that'll last us for quite a while. I took a good chunk of time to grind for a lot of new things, but we're about ready to resume the fights. Now, the original plan was to take on an ocean boss, but after a hundred failed attempts I realised I was going to need some major boosts still, but that's where Astrum Auerus comes in. This fellow's had a good bit of history, first manifesting as the Astrageldon Slime and resembling, and I quote, a "burnt thanos marshmallow". However, he didn't quite fit in with the lore of the mod, so was reworked completely into a mighty metallic crab thing that technically still retains its role as "mechanical king slime but better".

Attempts: 71.

Clauses: 4000 DPS, 50 seconds.

Good lord that clunk he makes when landing a jump is so bloody satisfying to me.

Ol' stompy boy here begins a trend of Hardmode Bosses Who Move By Jumping, and you'll notice that he's an absolute tank. 192k HP when the previous boss had 96k, plus 70 defence and a bit of DR means Aureus will take a hammering and a half with summons. Despite this fact, he follows a set pattern of moves: He'll scuttle after you while firing 8 rounds of astral blasts, then make 3 mighty leaps while firing a blast on descent, before pausing for a moment, emanating 8 crystals and then teleporting above you and firing another 8, while spawning 2 of those floaty nebula things. Said nebulae will pursue you and explode on contact with you or blocks, while the crystals have homing for about 8 seconds or so before meandering in a straight line. He's not much tougher on higher difficulties, and normally doesn't do the crystal move until he's half dead on Expert and below. It should also be noted that his defence only applies while he has flames: without them, he has no defence and this is the best time to blast him. Interstellar Stomper is a funky banger of a theme though which retains some of the beats of the predecessor theme, Cosmic Disgust, but this fight is a fun one.

Regarding equipment and whatnot, due to the fact Aureus isn't too mobile vertically, I could afford to utilise some more offensive pressure. To wit, our armour is the vanilla Tiki set, which is a superior option to the Calamity Reaver set due to providing a similar damage boost, but with 2 extra minion slots giving us 4 from the armour. The other new additions are Asgard's Valor, which replaces the Cryogen lore at long last, providing a better dash, and Statis's Blessing, our first really good summoner accessory. It gives a decent 10% extra summon damage, makes minions pretty much shut down regular enemies with a debilitating yet short lived debuff that halves their movement speed, and provides a meaty 3 extra minion slots, which combined with everything gives us 14 minions. We used 10 of those however to call upon 5 Shellfish from the Shellfish Staff I may have bashed earlier, and the steady DPS boost offered by them did more than 14 casts of Entropy's Vigil. I was surprised by this, but we were still well below the DPS guidelines, and it isn't hard to see why, as even with the massive boosts summoner just doesn't have the capability to down bosses in a timely manner.

As for drops, the only thing of interest aside from a heap of stardust and fallen stars are the Aureus Cells, a crafting component in a couple of boosters, as well as the far more valuable Starlight Fuel Cell, which is the second Adrenaline upgrade giving us a mere 25 seconds before we get to nuke something. His lore item simply gives you a better jump in space and thus pointless, and he lacks an expert exclusive drop.

With the stompy one down, we return to the sea to deal with something far more treacherous: a boss fight that is actually two bosses. Unlike the Twins though, the Siren and Leviathan are formidable foes, the former a swift offensive creature while the latter realistically measures in at about 90 feet tall and deals contact damage. Worse still, they only spawn normally when you kill a lure in the ocean, so that meant having to grab another mod that provides special summoning items for them in order to avoid having to utilise cheat sheet, as I constantly found myself getting sniped before moving. Let's see how the fight goes.

Attempts: 334.

Clauses: 4500 DPS Levi, 3700 DPS Siren, 1 minute, 40 seconds.

What is normally a difficult fight on regular nohits becomes a complete nightmare on defiled where you have no flight to more easily evade the giant form of Leviathan.

In Rev, Levi only spawns once the siren is dropped to 66%, after which the fight very quickly turns to chaos. The Siren on her own spawns with an ice shield that periodically regenerates, but doesn't have too much health, and will flit around you lobbing water spears at you, as well as treble clefs that linger and ice mist projectiles that have homing properties. Her movement is also exceedingly erratic, and going far above her can be risky as sometimes she really must be at a certain position above you and will charge to that position, and I've died a good few times to getting hit by her. When Levi spawns, she will also begin to rush you with her trident, and will also spawn water clones which stay still, are invulnerable and throw spears at you. She will spawn two of these, and these are very irritating. Meanwhile, levi herself will spew meteors at you that are the size of the eye of cthulhu, will move towards you, and spawns some bulky minions that harass you. When either falls (usually siren given her lower health and the fact she's not as dangerous) Levi will enrage, double her defence and attack much more frequently, and after dropping below half will align her fat ass with you horizontally and charge at you at speed. Oh, but the music is complicated. This boss has 3 tracks: Siren's Call, when ??? (the lure) is active, Siren's War Cry, played when the siren herself is around, and Forbidden Lullaby, when the fat one arrives.

It goes without saying, but summoner has no damn chance here. With siren's high speed they won't keep up with her, and I had to resort to a ranged setup using the ranged reaver set, whose set bonus is an occasional rocket. The fact that Levi is so bloody big and hard to work around meant that I had to sacrifice damaging accessories for absolute mobility, hence the Flying Carpet (preHM, provides horizontal gliding) and the Tabi (a better dash than Asgard's Valor, and will be a staple for me from now on) as well as the usual height boosts. In terms of arsenal, there was really only one good option: the Conference Call, a rare drop from tactical skeletons in the dungeon that is a rare item variant of the Conclave Crossfire. Both are Borderlands references, both are upgraded Tactical Shotguns, but the CC fires a couple extra bullets over the Crossfire. Speaking of which, I used Terra Bullets, which split into homing shards on impact, and require a bit of aiming to use over the homing chlorophyte ones, and even then I required the use of the Everglade Spray to inflict 20 seconds of ichor on Levi, because 80 defence and 40% DR is not an easy thing to punch through. That being said, once I learned the movement patterns it was a fun fight, though one I'd rather not deal with on Defiled ever again. At least it isn't Death Mode, where both bosses spawn at once.

Levi's drops have some utility. For the most part the thing of interest to me was the pearl of enthrallment, yet another accessory that calls forth a minion, this time being a siren clone, but I put that aside. Their lore item is mostly for a couple of siren-specific drops outwith the fight itself, not too useful, and the expert drop is literally whale vomit (ambergris, specifically) and it gives respectful buffs in water while leaving behind poison wherever you go, not too useful for us right now though. They also have an extremely rare drop I didn't get which gives buffs to all your stats, but that isn't too much of a concern either, though I may grind for it after the vanilla bosses have been downed and its boosts become worthwhile.

A couple of good fights, join me next time whereby we take a jaunt through the jungle and annoy its other residents.

Current Progress:

Bosses Defeated:
HM: 10/17.

Boss Death Count: 2827.

Last edited:

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Capable of casually moving faster than the speed of sound. His top speed is unknown, though some theorise it to be faster than light itself.
Fun fact: The Siren can actually be spawned before you even enter Hardmode. If you do so, and manage to defeat the Leviathan, they'll drop an item called 'IOU an item', which, when combined with a Living Shard, can be crafted into any of the specific weapon drops, (I believe the Leviatitan may interest you for ranger builds, as it doesn't require ammo) plus the Pearl of Enthrallment.

Speaking of which, you may want to go to the Floating Islands while it's raining to fight the Cloud Elemental, which will drop the Eye of the Storm, one of the accessories needed to create the Heart of the Elements (You'll also want to go to the desert as well). In fact, you can get all but one of the accessories needed for the Heart of the Elements right now, that one being the Bloom Stone (which drops from a boss you're probably doing next update).

You're also beginning to approach a summon weapon which I think will be very useful for Duke Fishron: The Resurrection Butterfly.

Last edited:

Raverist

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
Steel, Tough
This weekend has been very busy for me nohitting things, and I've pretty much only got the Moon Lord to take down, so there's a bit of a backlog which means more frequent updates.

@Neosonic97: Yep, the siren is a very rare spawn in prehm, and the main reason you'd be mad enough to fight it early on, or rather ???, is the siren's heart accessory. As for the Leviatitan, it ain't too shabby a gun, but the Conference Call is simply that much better. I've already grinded offscreen all the materials for the HotE, and only have to get the ancient manipulator for it.

After the painful fight from before, we've got business in the jungle as both of the next two bosses are fought within. The good news is the addition of a new summon weapon I forgot to mention last time, the Hive Pod, a sentry minion that constantly spawns homing hiveling minions that hit hard, and given the next boss is Golem, that extra firepower might just be necessary. In vanilla, Golem is one of two footnote bosses who are so bloody easy they're barely worth mentioning, but the current version (well, previous given that a new update dropped today) significantly revamped the fight. Is it still easy?

Attempts: 57.

Clauses: 3500 DPS, 30 seconds.

Damn if this isn't a much better fight. As is the case with 100% of jungle temples, the golem room was a glorified broom closet, so I had to expand it enough to fit the stompy one in. The revamp in Rev+ gives Golem much more aggression, as he will spit fireballs more frequently as well as lasers, but the real change comes when the head's HP is depleted and it separates. The body will now spawn fireballs whenever it jumps, and the head can be attacked and destroyed, which is advisable as continued assaults on the body will force the head to begin moving in a square around you and spit out lingering explosive fireballs. All in all, this fight is a lot more fun than it used to be, and Golem is no longer a complete joke.

I didn't even use the maximum DPS in this fight hilariously. My gear was pretty much unchanged from before, though I had unknowingly swapped out the blessing for a defensive accessory which did nothing. A good arena goes a long way to an easier fight, and fighting in the temple is important: Outwith it, Golem enrages, firing much faster and more frequently. In fact, his very first fireball he launches is treated as enraged. It's worth noting that Calamity makes it so Golem will drop a Picksaw guaranteed on the first kill, so you don't have to grind away at him.

His regular drops aren't too useful to us, and his lore item boosts defence when standing still, which is so bad it's unusable. His expert drop is somewhat decent casually, amplifying life regen when standing still, but really his main unlock is access to chaotic ore in the Abyss, which gives us our next equipment tier.

After that show, we took a few moments to grab some new stuff and expand our Plantera arena for the next boss, the Plaguebringer Goliath. As expected, the PBG is Calamity's upgraded Queen Bee, and has similar AI but as the name suggests is also much larger. That should mean a harder fight, right?

Attempts: 7.

Clauses: 4000 DPS, 55 seconds.

OH.

Well I didn't expect the fight to take that few attempts! PBG wasn't meant to be circled this hilariously easy, and I would not be surprised if she got some major buffs next update given that I brought this up with head dev fabsol. Putting that aside, this fight is fun. The goliath fight consists of her charging at you much like QB, and she will periodically spawn enemies to harass you. In Rev, she ups the ante by occasionally spawning Plaguebringers, minibosses which are much and such queen bees, as well as plague mines which pursue you, and some of her stingers will turn into homing rockets. Once she drops below half, her horizontal dashes gain a plague nuke barrage, firing missiles in a spread, but these are fairly easy to avoid. In Deathmode, she starts the fight with the nuke barrage active, but as you can see I had basically no trouble with her at all. Far from the fly of beelzebub she was intended to be.

Part of this may be down to the armour. Rather than using the Ataxia armour set from chaotic bars, I instead went with vanilla gear, using Spooky armour and leggings from the Pumpkin Moon enemies (a painful grind may I add) for two minion slots and 22% summon damage, and the OOA Valhalla Knight Helmet, which gives 2 sentry slots and a frankly broken 60% summon damage boost. The sheer nuclear firepower here offsets the lack of set bonus by a long shot, and I personally feel it'd be better if the OOA helmets had half the summon damage boost, but c'est la vie. You may notice that I used the Golden Gun here for ichor, and that's because from here on out, pretty much all bosses are immune to Marked, so the Lunic Eye is officially redundant. Unfortunate, but ichor will be a suitable substitute. Of better interest is the summon weapon neosonic mentioned, the Resurrection Butterfly. Yes, it is a touhou reference. It is a little stronger than the Vigil despite only summoning two minions per pop as opposed to 3, but the butterflies have a very long aggro range, ignore tiles and come in two flavours, a melee butterfly and a ranged butterfly who fires a spread of flowers. Better yet, they're capable of outputting the best DPS we've seen in a while.

The Plaguebringer's drops, similarly to Golem, aren't too useful to us, even though they are exceedingly strong. Her expert drop is the Toxic Heart, which grants us the power to inflict the plague debuff, which is a respectably strong DoT, while her lore item cuts damage by 25% in exchange for more flight time, and thusly is outright detrimental to us. A pity. I enjoyed this fight, and did it a couple more times in order to obtain the final ingredient to a special something in the Bloom Stone.

With these two easy fights out of the way, join us next time where we engage with the terror of the seas and one of the absolute worst bosses to face with the defiled rune.

Current Progress:

Bosses Defeated:
PreHM: 12/12.
HM: 10/17.
PV: ??/??.

Boss Death Count: 2889.

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Of better interest is the summon weapon neosonic mentioned, the Resurrection Butterfly. Yes, it is a touhou reference. It is a little stronger than the Vigil despite only summoning two minions per pop as opposed to 3, but the butterflies have a very long aggro range, ignore tiles and come in two flavours, a melee butterfly and a ranged butterfly who fires a spread of flowers. Better yet, they're capable of outputting the best DPS we've seen in a while.
Here's a fun fact about the Ressurection Butterfly: It only deals half-damage to the Lunatic Cultist, but in return, it deals double damage to Duke Fishron!

Also, there are two other Touhou references in Calamity that I can think of: The Dark Spark and the Scarlet Devil.

Raverist

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
Steel, Tough
Spooktober is almost over, and as we sit upon the final day of the month, the very night of Spooks, we may as well pop out another update with a suitably spooky vibe.

@Neosonic97: True facts. Another interesting feature of the butterfly is that it's a donator item, for those supporting the mod's development, and was designed specifically to dump on Fishron, while still being hilariously viable even post ML, if you're mad. Another touhou reference comes in the most recent update, with a female Bandit NPC who can have the name of Marisa. Gee, I wonder why...

Whence we last left off, we polished off two surprisingly easy bosses and enjoyed having some powerful minions at long last. Today, we continue that trend by fighting a boss who the RB does double damage to: Duke Fishron. Normally fightable anytime in Hardmode, in Rev+ he's specifically designed to be post-Golem, with some major stat boosts, and has always been a challenge, especially so when you have limited mobility.

Attempts: 193*.

Clauses: 5000 DPS, 50 seconds.

That seems like a surprisingly high number for a boss who's apparently weak to the butterfly effect, and that's because it is. You see, this is how the second attempt went.. As you can see, he was completely and utterly evaporated. This would not pass the rigorous checks, so I had to give myself several nerfs to ensure the fight lasted longer than 35 seconds. Speaking of Rev changes, Fishron becomes completely immune to damage while transitioning between phases, with phase 2 occurring after he drops to 66% or so and phase 3 when he dips to 20%. His health is almost doubled from Expert's 60k to 111k, and he's just as aggressive. During phase 1, he spawns 3 sharknadoes rather than 2, while in phase 2 his bubble attack now spawns extra sharkrons. During phase 3, he'll spit forth short lived sharknado spawners when he dashes, and overall the fight is very hectic and fast.

However, he is still fairly easy to predict, and his behaviour can be exploited until phase 3, at which point you're relying on visual cues and reflexs to avoid his lightning fast dashes, and in deathmode you don't even get the leisure of utilising the minimap during P3 as his icon vanishes. To nerf myself, I held back on using adrenaline the entire fight, and held back on using ichor to ensure my dps remained below the guideline 5k as much as possible. To do this, I sacrificed the valhalla helm and spooky armour combo for the full Ataxia armour set, which gives a 45% summon damage boost compared to the 82% of the other set (this by the way is outright bonkers, outclassing even vanilla's endgame stardust armour) while I held back on my butterfly limits by shelfing the Clone lore and using I believe 7 butterflies.

Fishron's got a couple of interesting drops, one being the Tempest Staff, a vanilla summon weapon which calls forth sharknadoes, and has an upgrade immediately available that's very bloody strong for the stage you get it, though his expert drop is something I passed up on (the Shrimpy truffle calls forth a fishron mount, which goes against my flying mount rule), while his lore item ups your damage when submerged, and is too situational for any proper use. A shame.

All said and done, vanilla's ocean boss was a fun and frenetic fight, and our next job is one I've been dreading for a while: Calamity's take on Golem, the Ravager. He's the last of the so-called Stompy Trio of Aureus, Golem and Ravager, and happens to be one of the tankiest bosses you'll face during the course of a playthrough. He does look pretty scary though, being an undead automaton of sorts, and is feared for being a difficult fight to master. How difficult?

Attempts: 303.

Clauses: 5500 DPS phase 1, 3000 DPS phase 2, "1 minute and 25 seconds".

Oh god this boss is a terror on defiled. Open Frenzy's a banger though.

So let's get the elephant out of the room first: That time limit. It generally is meant for people doing fights on Deathmode due to Ravager's higher HP there, and realistically the MNL should be around 1 minute. From what I've been told, my time should be fine, especially given that it's a defiled nohit. Rav acts much like Golem, with punching fists and stompy jumps, but he's got more tricks up his bloody sleeves. He will summon flame pillars which deal no contact damage, but will spawn bouncing fireballs, and thankfully you can run through the rock portions of these just fine. The rock pillars on the other hand are more devious. When they're in flight, they'll do damage, but not when stationary after spawning. The head fires drill missiles that track your movement, but these have a turning circle that makes a bendy bus's look tight, and phase 1 consists of busting down his hands, legs and head segments.

Phase 2 consists of the body, which has the highest defence and DR of any hardmode boss at a whopping 80 and 40%, meaning ichor is generally required in order to not take forever. During this stage, he stomps much more frequently and the head detaches and gives chase, all while the body occasionally fires a laser spread. Oh, and you're inflicted with weak petrification. What does that do? Oh, it just cuts your flight time in half, disables jump boosts and additional jumps, disables mounts and nullifies gravity potions. With wings, this isn't too bad as you can make do with the nerfed flight just fine, but if you're playing on defiled like me?

This sets your vertical mobility to a six block jump. The same as having zero vertical mobility items. The one saving grace is that hooks are unaffected as are dashes and running boots, but that doesn't save the fact that this made phase 2 utterly brutal. I had to completely redesign the arena to ensure the stompy boy remained beneath, found that my newly crafted sand sharknado staff was doing too much damage and thus had to return to butterflies, and even then the fight was pretty much hinged with a sprinkle of luck in survival, having to work around avoiding the wide head and learning how to juke the missiles while watching out for certain death rock pillars. Tense fight overall, and what Golem should have been. Going full DPS was vital to overcoming his massive defence, and the use of ichor meant remaining around dps guidelines comfortably.

Ravager's drops of note include the second Rage upgrade, the Infernal Blood, which again isn't of much utility to us, but we used it anyways. He drops a couple of neat accessories, the Flesh Totem which halves contact damage from something once every 20 seconds, and the Blood Pact which doubles your max HP but makes it so you can be crit harder and is considered a crap thing. He also drops a new summon weapon in the Spikecrag Staff, but sadly that weapon's utility is greatly limited at this stage due to lack of groundborne bosses, though it does absolutely flatten the Old One's Army and any event by turning the area around it into basically lava. I'm glad to be done with him though, but there's every possibility I'll have to rebattle this terror post-vanilla as he has another drop of interest to me.

The fall of the Ravager leaves us with only three more adversaries in hardmode, all three of which are nasty in their own right. Next time, we put the remainder of vanilla to bed and prepare ourselves to punch another god in the face with the last few upgrades we can get.

Current Progress:

Bosses Defeated:
HM: 14/17.
PV: ??/??.

Boss Death Count: 3393.

we breached the 3k death count, yay

Raverist

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
Steel, Tough
Since I've not much better to do, here's the next update whereby we do shit.

*checks "obscure disney reference" off his list*

Previously, we battled the duke of the seas and the destroyer of vertical mobility, in a thrilling if somewhat frustrating couple of fights. Today we have a three for one deal on bosses, and we're putting all of vanilla to bed. First on the list is the lunatic cultist, who like Golem before him was little more than a literal footnote with a pitiful amount of health and not much of a threat, merely there to catalyse any attempt at the lunar events. Is he still a pushover in Rev?

Attempts: 105.

Clauses: 4500 DPS, 35 seconds.

Well that was something. Given how embarrassing the guy is in Expert, Rev+ makes the cultist a genuine threat once more. For a start, hitting him in the middle of his ritual may interrupt the summoning of the phantasmal dragon, but his clones will not disappear and will persist throughout the fight. He's also significantly more aggressive with his spells, his fireballs have much better tracking, he spawns two ice balls and also has access to those darkness orbs much earlier than usual. His HP got a modest buff to 62k, and as that lowers he teleports around a helluva lot more, staying in one spot for only a brief moment at very low HP. He's a fast, frantic fight that gets bad if you let it, but this is offset by his low HP, and the fact that under the correct conditions, he can be melted within 15 seconds flat.

Our gear remains unchanged, save for the addition of the Sand Sharknado Staff, a simply ridiculous summoning weapon that does far more damage than it needs to due to how its projectiles possess local immunity frames, allowing each individual shark to do its own damage, and when your base damage before boosts from potions and equipment is 98, that's gonna smart. He cuts damage from butterflies in half, and the entropy's vigil spam of lasers meant his own attacks were lost in the mess, so by limiting myself to half a dozen sharks I kept the damage output just low enough to work with. Ravager's Spikecrag Staff did a heap of work though, turning the area above it into a shower of pain and ensuring that when I launched that adrenaline charge, he was caught in the midst of it.

The cultist has absolutely no drops of interest save for the Ancient Manipulator crafting station, though his lore item which boosts your stats during the lunar events makes the pillar hunting a little more bearable. The mod cutting the kills required to 100 down from 150 in Expert+ makes it even more so.

After that simple fight, we've one more Calamity boss to throw down with before the main event, and that boss is called Astrum Deus. The good news for us is that it's Yet Another Worm Boss, albeit one who packs a lot of defence. However, it's a worm boss, so how bad can things really be?

Attempts: 81.

Clauses: 5000 DPS for main, none on smalls, 1 minute and 5 seconds.

What's worse than one worm? An entire can of worms, that's what! Deus is a fight of three stages, each stage having a phase where the small worms are vulnerable and then the main one. Deus's main threat, as you might imagine, is the fact that they are super mobile and while only the big worm has full flight capabilities at all times, the small ones are capable of flying after you. One of the smalls is surrounded by a heap of probes, which it will periodically spawn to harass you, and the swirling probe horde will occasionally fire mines at you, which have a brief moment of intangibility to avoid cheap shots. No, those are reserved for the barrage of lasers launched by the boss, which combined with their sheer numbers means that the boss can easily overwhelm you. Pest of the Cosmos, the boss theme, is an interestingly chill theme compared to the other astral boss.

Once again, sand sharks were the way to go, simply due to the fact I needed to get the worms mown down. I could have used the Stardust Cell or Dragon, but those are complete garbage, especially the once vaunted dragon, whose attacks are heavily resisted by the worms, and the fact that the dragon's AI is quite frankly as dense as a black hole. I had little choice but to utilise heavy investment in vertical mobility, but thankfully that's what the Heart of the Elements offers, as well as five wonderful extra elemental minions. Quick rundown of what each elemental does: Siren clone acts like siren, firing spears, mist and clefs at stuff, brimbo lobs brimstone balls at things, cloudy simply rams into opponents, miss sandy spawns tornadoes of sand while lady sandy chucks small balls into the air that heal you if you take damage, and is mostly there for moral support. The fact that I went for pillars first also means we get access to Statis' Curse, which is literally Statis' Blessing But It Inflicts Shadowflame. It's still an extra 3 minion slots though, so it's good.

Deus has no combat item drops, save for his expert item in the Astral Bulwark, giving immunity to the astral infection debuff. He also naturally drops a bunch of pillar fragments, serving as a renewable source of them that's less boring than punching the cultist and fighting the pillar again, as well as a nifty source of stardust. His lore item merely boosts movement speed in space, useless sadly, but overall he was another interesting take on worm bosses by the mod.

Not too rough a fight, but that's certain to change though. With the lunar events, that naturally leads us to the last boss of the update, and that boss has a name that strikes fear into the hearts of many: the Moon Lord. As Terraria's final boss, the Moon Lord has always been a considerably hard opponent for those unprepared, and a tricky fight for those who have prepared, and Calamity knows this. He's the final vanilla boss for a good reason, so enough prattle, how did I do?

Attempts: 234.

Clauses: 6000 DPS, 1 minute, 50* seconds.

*Subject to change, very likely to be pushed down to 1 minute and 30 seconds.

Now this is a worthy battle! ML received a rework in the most recent mod update in Rev+, removing his super annoying and luck-based true eyes from the equation. In return, he went from being a rather sluggish boss with some teleporty powers to moving very fast, so fast that he can now keep up with someone running full pelt. This automatically makes him a much more dangerous foe, and his mounds of health add to this, even though his regular attacks haven't changed much save for a reduced delay between them. He has three main attacks from his hands: Phantasmal spheres, whereby he stretches his arm out and spawns spooky eyes before launching them at you with a flex, Phantasmal Bolts, which emerge from said hands, fly up a bit before homing down towards you and exploding, and Phantasmal Shots, whereby the eyes lock onto you before firing two rapid bursts of energy. These bursts, by the way, are lead, so avoiding them isn't easy at all. There's the head as well, which opens, charges and fires his infamous Deathray in a 120 degree arc, centered around your current position and always in an upwards motion towards you, then another burst of shots. The left eye cycles starting with Spheres, to Shots, to Bolts, while the right eye starts with Bolts, to Shots to Spheres. Knowing how each eye operates is imperative to survival, as is a great deal of mobility. When an eye loses its health, it remains in his hand or head, and continues to attack, which makes ML much fairer a fight rather than having to keep an eye on free flying eyes that can unfairly cheap shot you unavoidably.

I needed all the minion slots I could get for butterflies, as they kept up to speed with ML the best, and required enough mobility to keep up with him but not so much that I forced a teleport that would throw off my rhythm and thus get me killed. To that end, I used the blessing and curse, but dropping Deus also let me get access to the Astral armour set, of which I really only wanted the body and its +3 minion slots. I believe I had a total of 17 minion slots for the fight, and even then it was a long and exciting fight, worthy of the title of vanilla final boss.

It's unfortunate then that ML's weapon drops are utterly outclassed by what becomes available after his death, as the pile of status messages showed. The two summoning weapons he drops are garbage sentry minions that quite frankly have their days numbered, but the rest of his goodies are invaluable. The luminite ore gives me the opportunity to get more gear upgrades, and while his Expert drop in the Gravity Globe synergizes with his lore item in boosting stats while upside down, they're gimmicky as all hell and only really there for memes, much like the portal gun which does have some utility. However, the Celestial Onion is too damn valuable to not use, giving a seventh accessory slot. All in all, we got some excellent stuff that we'll certainly need, because from here on out we're in the deep end of the mod.

As we wave goodbye to Hardmode, we say hello to Post-Vanilla, or as most call it, Post ML content. We can officially start counting down the remaining bosses on our fingers, as we look at the prospect of ten more bosses. Five of these are emboldened footnotes that serve as slippery and spiky stepping stones. The other five are responsible for some of the most fiendishly challenging opponents, and next time we're gonna be facing one of those fated five. It's gonna get spicy.

Current Progress:

Bosses Defeated:
HM: 17/17.
PML: 0/10.

Boss Death Count: 3810.

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
I can imagine you're probably not going to have fun with the DoG, which, according to general opinion, is the hardest boss in Calamity. Even moreso than the mod's superboss, hence why he's the last opponent in the Boss Rush. To note, The Boss Rush is divided into Five tiers, each more difficult than the last. I've hidden the bosses you've yet to face in spoilers:

Tier 1: Queen Bee, Brain of Cthulu, King Slime, Eye of Cthulu, Skeletron Prime, Golem, Profaned Guardians, Eater of Worlds, Astrum Aureus and Destroyer, in that order.

Tier 2: The Twins, Bumblebirb, Wall of Flesh, Hive Mind, Skeletron (Yes, Skeletron was considered harder than Skeletron Prime), Storm Weaver, Aquatic Scourge, Desert Scourge and Lunatic Cultist, in that order.

Tier 3: Crabulon, Plantera, Ceaseless Void, Perforators, Cryogen, Brimstone Elemental, Signus, Envoy of the Devourer , Ravager and Duke Fishron, in that order.

Tier 4: Moon Lord, Astrum Deus, Polterghast, Plaguebringer Goliath, Calamitas, Siren & Leviathan, Slime God and Providence, the Profaned Goddess, in that order.

Tier 5: Supreme Calamitas, Jungle Dragon, Yharon and Devourer of Gods, in that order.

And lastly, a random fun fact: The rarest item in Calamity Mod is the Halibut Cannon, which has a 0.0001% (That's a one in a million chance) chance to drop from Abyss enemies in Revengeance Mode, or a 0.01% chance to drop from Juvenile Eidolon Wyrms, Colossal Squids and Reaper Sharks (That's still only a one in ten thousand chance), also in Revengeance Mode. It is a guaranteed drop from the Adult Eidolon Wyrm (In Revengeance Mode), but good luck killing that, given that the Adult Eidolon Wyrm is the Calamity Mod's equivalent of the Dungeon Guardian (Except it has approximately 100 times more HP than the Guardian does, and deals 1.5 times as much damage on equivalent difficulties). Only Yharim's Crystal can actually do any meaningful damage without having to get close to the head. Then again, considering how overpowered the Halibut Cannon actually is (and the fact that you can obtain it Pre-Hardmode, despite it being a Post-Moon Lord-tier weapon), it makes sense how rare it is. It even makes mention of how broken it is in the tooltip!), it'd have to be THAT hard to obtain. For reference, the Halibut Cannon fires between 25 and 35 rounds per shot (at the cost of one ammo). In Pre-Hardmode, its base damage is 6, so that'd be an average damage per shot of 180, assuming an average of 30 rounds per shot.

In Hardmode, its base damage doubles, becoming 12, so naturally, its average damage doubles as well, to 360 per shot, and after the moon lord, this is doubled yet again, to 24 base damage, or 720 per shot. This is before any modifiers from ammo, mind you.

Its use time is 19, so it should be firing around 3 times per second. With just Musket Balls which have a base damage of 7, this means that the average DPS of the Halibut Cannon in Pre-Hardmode would be ~1170 DPS- MUCH more than enough to shred any Pre-Hardmode boss. And that's WITHOUT any damage bonuses.

The Halibut Cannon's maximum potential would likely be reached with Acid Rounds, a bullet type made from the Plague Canisters dropped by the Plaguebringer Goliath, with the highest base damage, at 28, plus an additional 10% of the target's defense multiplied by 50% of the gun's damage, which would make the damage per bullet 52 plus 120% of the target's Defense (assuming Post-Moon Lord stats). If we consider the Moon Lord, for instance, its damage per bullet would be, assuming the Moon Lord's Core has the same defense as from Vanilla that is to say, 70, 136 damage per bullet, for approximately 12240 damage per second. This would kill the Moon Lord's core in just over TEN SECONDS. And again... this is without any damage bonuses. Though against certain upcoming bosses who have 0 defense, Hyperius Bullets may end up being better. If we assume it's used Pre-Moon Lord, the DPS is reduced to about 8100 damage per second.

Last edited:

Raverist

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
Steel, Tough
I only have four bosses left to nohit. Three of those four will give me nightmares. The fourth will make me wish I had nightmares.

@Neosonic97: A common misconception. Boss Rush bosses are tiered according to a popularity poll, and the DoG topped that by a country mile, given how many people like how his fight operates. As far as difficulty goes, he's actually surprisingly easy once you know how he works and behaves, and is generally only tough because of how resilient he is and the fact the fight's an endurance match. That and the fact that in BR, dying to him means having to redo the entire damn thing again.

As for the Halibut Cannon, it's a reference to TotalBiscuit, and is outright banned in nohits for precisely the listed reason, although it is an exceedingly effective weapon for things with high defence utilising crystal bullets. As for the AEW, one can feasibly grind away at it in a fair matter of time using the P90 and crystal bullets, given how stupidly fast it is, and running a maximum crit loadout. Doing so is tantamount to madness though, given the wyrm's meant to be a warning sign to leave the abyss, or punishment for being stupid enough to RoD within the same place.

With the Moon Lord defeated, a whole new set of gear becomes available to us, as does a whole new set of bosses, and off camera I went on a reasonable grinding spree to get myself geared up for the next leg of this journey. A few of the bosses ahead of us require a prerequisite fight or so to be done, and it just so happens that before we can fight the Calamity counterpart to the Moon Lord, we must face their profaned guardians. As the first of five lesser bosses, they're but a mere stepping stone, but a slippery one at that.

Attempts: 50.

Clauses: 11k DPS, 25 seconds.

Theme: Unholy Ambushhttps://soundcloud.com/dm-dokuro/16-unholy-ambush

The community-dubbed Donuts, the guardians are another of those "actually more than one" boss fights, and consist of three guardians: The main one (spiky), the Rock one (rocky) and the Crystal one (uhh...) and rock and crystal must die first for the main one to take any damage. At 35k and 56k HP, they won't last too long, even if the main one has 164k and 40% DR to back him up. Their AI is simple enough, dashing at you and occasionally firing holy spears, though the crystal one may also fire small fires at you: If you touch them, you instantly take 32 damage that cannot be mitigated and with nohit rules, you instantly die with a special message indicating your cause of death being due to bursting into sinless ash.

The fight was not very hard, a bit of simple movement and dashing will shut their attacks down fast. My armour did not change, because the current setup is still better than full Stardust armour, but a new accessory has found its way in: the Seraph Tracers, the upgrade to the Angel Treads, serves the purpose of mobility in one. The downside to them is the fact that they count as wings, but we cover that vertical issue with a bundle of balloons and we're just as good as before. Regarding potions, we've replaced the Wrath potions for the Holy Wrath potions, which give us an entire 2% damage boost over the regular ones and thus are marginally better, but the Elemental Axe and Energy Staff are massive boosts. The former spawns fast moving axes with large aggro ranges and high damage output, while the latter is a sentry minion that rapidly fires homing energy blasts at enemies, and works well in smaller environments.

They drop absolutely nothing of value save for coins, their lore item does nothing and the Profaned Core will pop up later in this update. Again, they're a footnote, and more of a teaser of things to come...

That was fairly easy. Next on the list is something that has been moved down in tiers, previously the third last boss in the mod. Said boss is part bumblebee, part dragon, all birb, it's the Bumblebirb! It automatically wins the award of Best Boss Name, but can it live up to that reputation?

Attempts: 22.

Clauses: 14k DPS, 40 seconds.

Theme: Murderswarmhttps://soundcloud.com/dm-dokuro/murderswarm-ingame-version

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Birb is basically a Solar Eclipse Mothron in behaviour: He will line himself up, then dash at breakneck speeds at you, while occasionally spawning homing feathers when turning around. His dashes come suddenly, and he occasionally spawns small birbs which act the same way, and that's about it. Birb is a simple boss with simple AI, and is like fighting a bullet.

That being said, a spikecrag trio dealt with the small birbs while keeping dps low enough that the main birb didn't evaporate, and the sheer velocity he rushes you at made for a tense fight, if brief. Literally nothing changed gearwise, I did him straight after the donuts, and his drops while useful to non-summoners aren't for us, save the effulgent feathers which will not be usable for a while yet, and the Red Lightning Container, the last of the Rage upgrades. I wish I could say more, but bumblebirb really isn't that much to talk about. Oh, but that song's name comes from the days when he used to spawn up to 20 birbs at once. That was fun.

Gotta love the sound he makes when he takes damage though. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

Well that was a small appetizer, but you're here for a good fight, and a good fight you shall have, for our next opponent is a truly terrifying divine being. A proper god, not like that blob of goo posing as one, nor those dregs of a fallen being given wormy form. No, we're facing down Providence, the Profaned Goddess, a being that wishes nothing for the world other than to reduce it to naught but ashes, free of sin and temptation. As the solar opposite of the Moon Lord, we have a task on our hands.

Attempts: 514.

Clauses: 13k DPS, 1 minute 45 seconds.

Theme: Unholy Insurgency.https://soundcloud.com/dm-dokuro/unholy-insurgency-ingame-version

Holy shit this was a brutal fight, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Prov follows a cycle of attacks like any other boss, but her cycle is very long and takes a lot to memorise, but in brief: She has four main attacks, and four special attacks. Her main ones are the Holy Blast, where she launches massive fireballs that explode into homing flames, the Holy Fire, which drops flames which split into two and either head off horizontally or vertically in your direction, the Molten Globs, which are the orbs which drop and explode, scattering small bits of lava around them, and the Fire Bombs, the large flames which spawn 3 small flames that drift towards you. Her special attacks are the unseen crystal which spawns only when fought in the underworld, which hovers above you and periodically spawns slow falling crystal shards, the Holy Ray, basically ML's Deathray but there's two of them and they swing like a pair of scissors, leaving a gap between them for you to hide at, the Spear Cocoon, which is as it sounds, where she ducks into her cocoon, becomes almost invulnerable and fires a barrage of spears at you while other spears spawn and fly horizontally, and her Cocoon Flames, where she turns the vicinity around her into danmaku, spawning waves of defence-ignoring flames that do 150 damage, and a few green ones which heal you by 50 hp if touched. The green ones are safe to touch in nohits, but everything else will kill you dead.

Phew, that's a mouthful. Prov's greatest strength is definitely her endurance, as she is resistant to ichor, it only reducing her DR by 5% as opposed to 25%, and her DR is naturally 25%. This combined with her massive 800k HP means she effectively sits at about a million HP, so you're in for a very long haul, especially when you get her to 34% and the profaned guardians spawn, ready to aid their goddess by way of amping her DR to cocoon levels and healing her by 4000 HP every second or so. Killing them is absolutely necessary to continue the fight, and her attacks come much thicker and faster when she drops below 15%. Understanding her attack pattern is key to survival.

That being said, aesthetically speaking, I fucking love this boss. She has a fantastic appearance almost reminiscent of Volcarona (her old sprite made that even closer) and her boss theme is one hell of a banger. Once again, equipment didn't change much save replacing a bit of damage for the Absorber, generally defensive but offers a bit more jump height for mobility, but I used a combo of sand sharks and axes to wear her down, the sharks capable of upping my damage output to five digits at times. Her drops are of interest: The main one are Divine Geodes, used for crafting our next armour set along with the new ore that spawns on her defeat, and depending on location she'll drop the Elysian Wings (hallow) or Elysian Aegis (hell). The wings do us no good except for crafting, but the aegis (which we cheated in post-boss because fuck fighting her twice) has a better dash than the Tabi and is a welcome upgrade. Her weapons are not much use to us, while her lore item is sadly outclassed due to elemental axes inflicting holy flames already. That said, she's easily one of my best fights despite taking that many attempts, but each and every one was fun and mostly my own idiocy.

With the Profaned Goddess vanquished, that ends the update for today. Next time, we go bully some other greater being's minions.

Current Progress:

Bosses Defeated:
HM: 17/17.
PML: 3/10.

Boss Death Count: 4394.

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
@Neosonic97: A common misconception. Boss Rush bosses are tiered according to a popularity poll, and the DoG topped that by a country mile, given how many people like how his fight operates. As far as difficulty goes, he's actually surprisingly easy once you know how he works and behaves, and is generally only tough because of how resilient he is and the fact the fight's an endurance match. That and the fact that in BR, dying to him means having to redo the entire damn thing again.
To be fair, the Boss Rush also forces Death Mode behaviours. For instance, in Revengeance Mode, the DoG doesn't instagib you if it hits you with the head, but regardless of difficulty, if the DoG hits you with its head in the Boss Rush, you die unless you have a revival effect.

Doing so is tantamount to madness though, given the wyrm's meant to be a warning sign to leave the abyss, or punishment for being stupid enough to RoD within the same place.
Another fun fact: You actually used to be able to cheese the AEW using Purified Jam and the Coldheart Icicle, but this was patched out, as the Invincible Buff no longer has any effect if you're holding the Coldheart Icicle.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)