• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Showcase Pride 2020 Create-a-thon!

Thread Description
The Pride Month Create-a-thon is back! Come join us in being creative and celebrating the LGBTQ community!

Spacey

Master of Feels
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
She/They
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Their mind is more often in the clouds than not. Most likely sick. Will probably eat your snacks.
I have recently decided that Sam is genderfluid. I knew they would be nonbinary but it took me some time to decide on the specifics, hahah. Unfortunately they got kinda scared out of presenting as a girl as a kid so they didn't do so during Sam's Nuzlocke but maybe when we see them next it'll be okay..... 👀
I keep having this awkward problem where all of my characters are preteens so half of them are either closeted or don't know what it means yet lmao I'm still learning my identities and I'm 27

Here's a little comic about Blue's first crush and how that led to Google teaching him about the different sexualities
(to clarify, Sam isn't the ONLY reason why he knows he's pan (since having a crush on a genderfluid person doesn't necessarily mean you're pan), but it got him started on his self-discovery journey lol)

cyndakip

there goes my luck
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Part Cyndaquil, part Mudkip, entirely tired.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@YumeTsuki aaaaaaahhhhh trans Samus!!! Heck yes! She looks so gorgeous and badass and I love the little sections of trans colours on her suit!

@Bug Oh this is so wonderfully bright and vibrant and those character designs are super cool! I love them all, what good kids.

@Spacey oooh genderfluid Sam! Was not expecting that, but that’s super awesome and now I’m extra looking forward to next time we see them 👀 That little comic is so CUTE! Also “crush changes genders am I gay” sjdhfakjf I love Blue

Happy bigender pride day! Bigender people have two distinct gender identities (not necessarily male and female) either simultaneously or switching between the two.

cyndakip

there goes my luck
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Time to turn to Trigender Thursday! As you might expect, trigender is like bigender but with an additional gender involved. So, happy pride to all the trigender people out there!

Reactions: Dee

cyndakip

there goes my luck
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
It's pangender pride day! Pangender people identify with the entire gender spectrum, either simultaneously or fluctuating over time.

cyndakip

there goes my luck
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Today we're celebrating genderqueer pride! Genderqueer is similar to nonbinary in that it's an an umbrella term for anyone who doesn't fit into the traditional gender binary. While there's a lot of overlap between the two, they have somewhat different connotations, so it generally comes down to personal preference for which term someone would rather use for themself (though you can identify as both)!

cyndakip

there goes my luck
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
@YumeTsuki Shelly and Cedar!!! I love them and you drew them so adorably!

It's demigirl day! Demigirls only partially identify with being female, often identifying as partially nonbinary as well. It can apply to people assigned female at birth who feel disconnected to that identity but not to the point of being fully nonbinary, and can also apply to people assigned male at birth who are transfeminine but don't identify fully as female. Demigirl is actually a label that I used to think might describe me, but lately my gender has been more "what the heck is a gender", so while it's an identity I'm quite fond of, I wouldn't really say it fits me right now. But I'm not here to talk about myself at least not today, so happy Pride to demigirls everywhere!

cyndakip

there goes my luck
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Happy demiboy pride day! Demiboy is, of course, the same concept as demigirl, just with a different gender! So, someone who identifies partly but not fully as male.

Krisantyne

oh no
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 10, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon clings to Sharpedo and shares in its prosperity. When its Sharpedo is attacked, Krisantyne will fight alongside it!
I actually have something with a demiboy finished in time for demiboy day :D
Nathan and Pilot for the PMD Pride collab~

Spacey

Master of Feels
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
She/They
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Their mind is more often in the clouds than not. Most likely sick. Will probably eat your snacks.
Aw jeez, I just realized I accidentally skipped over agender day 'cause I was practically offline for an entire week playing Rune Factory 4 so here's a sketch of my agender pal from my other/future Pokemon fancomic, Cleytin! (Their non-Orrean friends just call them Clay.)

cyndakip

there goes my luck
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
@Krisantyne Oh, I love this so much!!! Your art style is lovely. The Pidgeot is super snazzy with that bandana, and painting pride flags on the Blastoise's shell is a really cool idea! They both look awesome.

@Spacey Other comic? Orre? 👀 I am very intrigued and I love Cleytin already, they look so cool!

Time for androgyne pride day! Androgyne is a gender identity that is a mix of male and female, and it’s often associated with presenting androgynously.

cyndakip

there goes my luck
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Today we're celebrating intergender pride! Intergender is a nonbinary identity that falls in between male and female. It's also used by some intersex people to describe their gender, as it matches their status of being in between the binary sexes.

cyndakip

there goes my luck
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
It's nonbinary day! As I've said before, nonbinary is an umbrella term covering any identity that doesn't fit into the traditional gender binary. We've spotlighted a lot of specific nonbinary identities already, but nonbinary can also be an identity itself! Some people feel that it's the best word to describe their gender, rather than any more specific term. (Pretty sure that “some people” includes me, but I'm still kind of working on figuring that out.) So, happy pride to all nonbinary people, no matter what their gender may be!

I finally have another piece to share! This one's kind of on the border of nonbinary and questioning, which happens to be pretty much what my own gender is. No, I'm not projecting onto my protagonist or anything, why do you ask? I figured I'd post it today rather than tomorrow because it's been a while since I've had anything to post. ...Now that I look it over, I think it fits questioning day more, but hey, gender is a social construct and so are calendars! So here's a little bonus scene I wrote for my PMDDX story, Where You Belong.

It's strange, but you don't miss being a human as much as you thought you would.

Everything’s so much easier as a Pokemon. No one to tell you how you should look, what you should wear, how you should think. You're a Mudkip now, and all you have to do is be a Mudkip! You never thought life could be more comfortable as a four-legged fish thing, but in many ways, it is.

You also never thought Pokemon society would be so... different. Gender doesn't seem to be a big deal here. There are male and female Pokemon, of course, but there are more than you could have ever imagined who don't fit neatly into those categories. They seems to be the default here unless otherwise specified, and while no one's had the chance to call you much of anything yet, would you want to specify if the opportunity arises?

When you introduced yourself to Cynders, you never got much further than I'm Cassie, and I'm a human. In a world full of Pokemon, being a former human tends to overshadow anything else you might say about yourself upon meeting someone. Not to mention that you both got rather distracted by having to rescue Caterpie, and the topic of gender and pronouns just never really came up after that.

Some part of you is relieved that you've never had to tell anyone here you're a girl. Because, well, you're no longer really sure that you are. You don't remember much about your human life, but you get the feeling that you weren't so sure about it back then, either. There's a strange kind of nervous excitement that fizzes in your chest every time you think about what you might do if someone asked you… what if you said you weren't a girl? Could you do that? Well, of course you could, but would you?

Cassie is a girl's name in your world, but in this one it's not a name at all, or at least it wasn't until you showed up. No one here has any preconceived notions about what a Cassie should be, and you think that maybe, just maybe, the Pokemon here don’t look at you and automatically think girl, but you're afraid to ask.

You don't even want to ask Cynders, even though you know they'll understand -- Cynders, who will answer to pretty much anything, stocking up on pronouns the way you stock up on berries for the team toolbox. Cynders, who is your partner and most trusted friend. You have so many opportunities to say hey, did you know I’m not a girl? and you never take them.

You have so many opportunities to say so many things, and you never take them.

It's a client who changes everything. You’re not the most talkative person -- Pokemon -- around, and you don't spend much time with anyone but Cynders, so you never really hear any pronouns being used for you. But today, you've just finished up a rescue, and Cynders is chattering away with the bedraggled Poochyena you've saved and the Rattata who asked you to save him, and...

You should have seen the move Cassie used! the Poochyena recounts to his friend. Right when we were about to escape the cave, this huge Pokemon jumped out at me, and I thought I was a goner for sure! But then Cassie did this cool flip off the rocks to get in front of me, and they sprayed it with this huge blast of water, and it was so awesome!

They?

They. They is you. You’re they.

You feel a sudden giddy rush of excitement, a warm glow of happiness that, for once, has nothing to do with being called cool. It's a strange new sensation, hesitant but thrilling, like you're standing on the edge of a cliff and feel like you might actually be able to fly off it instead of fall.

Cynders looks at you, and you realize you might be grinning a little too much. Yes, I'm lucky to have them as my partner, the Cyndaquil says with a knowing smile.

You should have known better than to think you could keep something like that from Cynders. They're too perceptive, or maybe you're just too easy to read -- probably a bit of both, if you're being honest, but whatever the situation is, you start to think that maybe you really can be something other. Not-a-girl. They. Nonbinary. You're not sure if that's a word that exists in this world, but could it be the right word for you?

Cynders asks you about it, later, when you're staring out at the ocean in quiet contemplation. (Well, externally quiet. Your brain is very much a loud mess at the moment.)

Things are a bit different in your world, aren't they?

You nod. Here might be less complicated, but in some ways that makes it more complicated for you. Your world had hair and clothes and makeup, all these little things about your appearance you had to constantly adjust in the hopes that they might make you look how you feel. That maybe, just maybe, you could make others see you how you want to be seen, if you could even figure out what that was.

Here, those options don’t really exist, and that's probably why this world's view on gender is so different. In some ways it's a relief to have all those choices taken away from you, but what did it leave you in return? You weren't too attached to your old body, but you definitely never wanted to be a Mudkip, either, and as much as you like it, it's not what you envisioned for yourself. But if it's allowing you to be seen for who you think you might really be, isn't that worth it?

...But what if you turn out to be wrong about all this, and find that you don't like it after all, that it isn’t who you are? What if you tell it to everyone and then have to un-tell it later as they all frown at you disapprovingly for changing your mind? What if you’re really just a girl? What if you’re a boy? You don't think you are, and you don't want to be, but what if you're just afraid to realize it? What if you can't be happy as anything? What if, what if, what if...

As usual, you don't say any of those things, but Cynders gets the idea. It's not easy to figure this stuff out, I know, they say. But I can help you with it as much as I can! You can tell me anything. Your partner pauses, grinning. And I can tell everyone about my awesome teammate Cassie, and how much I enjoy going on rescues with them, and how nice they are, and how proud I am of all their accomplishments! If that's what you want, of course.

You're smiling again, feeling those words sparkling in your chest. Your time in this world so far has mostly been spent learning how to take risks and be spontaneous, so... why not?

Deep breath. I think... I think that is what I want. For now, at least. And maybe... you could call me Cass? Just sometimes? You're not ready to let go of the name you're used to yet, but you like the sound of the nickname, and you don't remember many people calling you that back home.

Of course, Cass! Cynders beams. There seems to be a smile stuck on your face, too.

Thanks. Cynders.

Anytime.

As the two of you sit on the cliff and watch the sun sink into the sea together, you think you've never felt more at home in this world. There's still so much you don't know -- how and why were you brought here, what's causing all these natural disasters, and, of course, who do you want to be... the answers never come easily, but that last question, at least, now feels a bit less intimidating.

In this moment, you're happy to be you, even if you’re still figuring out what it means to be you along the way.
This feels different from the regular chapters, probably because it's all introspection and no plot! For the most part I'm happy with it, though. it was a valuable exercise in dumping my gender feels somewhere Second person makes it a lot less complicated when you're writing a character who's figuring out their gender and pronouns! ...Well, I guess first person would too, but my point is, second person is cool. And gender is hard.

• Love

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
@cyndakip - aaaaaaaaaa that was so good! I definitely empathize with Cass, and I'm so gald that they found a new zone of comfort here in the pokemon world; it truly is lovely that they can be comfortable like that 🥰

For non-binary day, here is some great art by @Agent Nein of Dreamtide from my old run Dear Diary! This is a gijinka, obviously. Dreamtide is an ancient automaton that goes by they/them pronouns and doesn't really do gender, though they're not agender either--they fall pretty squarely in the middle, not that it preoccupies them much. But when they're not being inscrutable and serving a millennia-old will, they do try to make friends as best they can!

Nein put a lot of symbolism into this drawing, which blew my mind with how stunning it is. Dreamtide is still probably one of my fave characters I've ever worked with in a run :'D

Krisantyne

oh no
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 10, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon clings to Sharpedo and shares in its prosperity. When its Sharpedo is attacked, Krisantyne will fight alongside it!
Got an entry for the Finding Your Roots 2020 Pride contest, too~

cyndakip

there goes my luck
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
@Dee aaaaaahhhhh Dreamtide!!! I adore them! That is some seriously amazing art, what a cool gijinka design. (Also, thank you!)

@Krisantyne oh wow this is so impressive! All the characters look awesome and so does the background! That little rainbow off in the distance is such a nice touch. My favourite here is definitely Briar, I just love that confident pose combined with the pride scarf blowing in the wind! Wesen looks particularly adorable, too.

Today is questioning day! Not much to define here, so instead I'll just say to everyone who's uncertain of their orientation and/or gender: You are valid, no matter how long it takes to figure things out, no matter what identity you land on. Even if you never land on anything definitive at all! The world is a confusing place, and it's okay to not have all the answers.

cyndakip

there goes my luck
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Happy homoromantic day! We’re spending the last few days of the month celebrating romantic orientation, because not everyone has one that matches their sexual orientation. Anyone can have two different orientations, not just aces who experience romantic attraction and aros who experience sexual attraction! For example, you could be homoromantic and bisexual. So happy pride to all homoromantics, regardless of sexual orientation!

cyndakip

there goes my luck
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
It's biromantic day! Although that's a label I personally identify with, I don't have anything to share today... I was supposed to have more things to post throughout the month but life kind of got in the way. I promise I'll have one more before the event is over, though! And today, I wish a happy pride to all my fellow biromantics!

cyndakip

there goes my luck
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Today is panromantic day! Happy pride to all the panromantics out there!

cyndakip

there goes my luck
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Happy aromantic pride day! Aromantics experience no romantic attraction. Not to be confused with asexuality! While some people are both aromantic and asexual, it's important to know that not all aros are ace, and not all aces are aro. (However, all aros and aces absolutely belong here in the queer community!)

So, as I said before, I do have one more piece to share, and it's for aro day! It wasn't quite ready, so the plan was to finish it up earlier today and have it ready to post right now... and then I barely got any sleep last night and ended up being way too tired to work on it. So the new plan is to hopefully get more sleep tonight, wake up and work on it, and then post it while it's still aro day! We'll see how that goes, I guess. I promise I'll have it here as soon as I can!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)