• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Video Games Popular Pokemon Opinions

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
Centiskorch is one of the most popular Galar Pokemon, and one of my favourites too. It's not hard to see why. It's got a really imposing design that looks cool rather than being overly goofy like some Galar mons, it's got one of the only good Gigantamax designs, it's got Volcarona's cool typing, it's got pretty damn good stats (including HP, rare for a Bug type) and learns a good set of moves. Gamefreak tends to knock it out of the park for Bug types, at least since Gen 5 onwards.

Same applies to Corviknight, which is probably the most used Galar Pokemon ever since most casual players used it, it's great in competitive, it's great in nuzlockes, and it just works as a design overall. It has more than earned its popularity, even if I still like Centiskorch and a couple of others from Galar more.

Arie Kazami

Your everyday, ordinary guy
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Just an Ordinary Trainer that doing his Nuzlocke
Fire starters like Charizard and Incineroar pretty much already have the special placement on my heart, especially INCINEROAR. I mean, that Imposing Heel look, good bulk, useful hidden ability, and diverse movepool making him my most used starters whenever I'm playing Alola-based games. Same case on Charizard(despite it isn't bulky and has diverse movepool as Incineroar is)

For non-starters, mostly pseudo legends like Metagross and Garchomp. I still remember my own Adamant Garchomp from my platinum Nuzlocke long time ago who saving my whole party in many occasion...

Last edited:

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
I wish Mega Evolutions would have stayed-I vastly preferred them over Z-Moves. There were so many cool designs, and it made using some old favorites new again, while giving other neglected 'mons a chance to shine.
Meanwhile Z-Moves were just meh to me. There wasn't really anything special about them outside of the starters' unique ones.
Dynamax/Gigantamax is nice, although I wish it worked more like Mega Evolution in that it changed stats as well, and I wish there were more Gigantamax forms.

oliviamakesanart

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Obsessed with cowboy hats
Really glad to see people vouching for Mega Evolution in this thread, I'm still so sad they're not included in gen 8. Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing actually turned out better in game then I thought it would be, but I miss using Mega Metagross and Mega Lopunny

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I miss Mega Evolution as well, and I also miss Z-Moves, but I can completely understand why Game Freak didn't want to overclutter the meta.

SimplyUnknown

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
Really glad to see people vouching for Mega Evolution in this thread, I'm still so sad they're not included in gen 8. Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing actually turned out better in game then I thought it would be, but I miss using Mega Metagross and Mega Lopunny
I'd also like to say that Mega evolution was incredibly underused in Kalos. After all the hype it got, we really only get to fight 3 Pokemon with mega evolution in the main storyline. They're the double Lucario battle, which doesn't really count since it's very biased in your favor, the Lysandre battle with Mega Gyarados, and Diantha with Mega Gardevoir. Considering how hyped up it was, it was really underwhelming not to battle any other megas in the entire game, especially since we get a guaranteed Mega in Lucario after the third gym.

io_

planning things is easier than writing them xdfbgn
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
preferably they/them please :) please don't be mad at me over it
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This friendly ghost lurks around sites of interest and tries to say hi. They may project a little too much onto their writing.
I'm adding to the Mega praise here xD I've never played a main-series game with Mega Evolutions, only fangames, but I liked Megas a lot from what I saw of them. They made Pokemon like Mawile and Lopunny actually viable and were a lot of fun to use - more so than Z-Moves for me in Pokemon Moon. Of course I reflect Game Freak's choices, but it would be nice if they made Megas for more underutilised Pokemon in future games. Some poor Pokemon like Ledian need whatever buffs they can get ;p

antingaround

Nicole
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pokémon Type
Normal, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Takes plenty of siestas, somewhat of a clown, impetuous and silly
Dynamaxed pokemon should be able to be phazed out, encore-able, and be able to get flinched, please! Seriously, there's no reason dynamax is as broken as it is thanks to all the immunities it gets to popular control moves >.>

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I suspect that Dynamax blocks Encore because Encoring a Max Move could be problematic once Dynamaxing ends and the Max Move is no longer able to be selected.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
Dynamax blocks a lot of things probably because they were, I'm guessing, designed as raid bosses first and something for competitive play third or fourth. Being able to do junk like Encore or Choice-Trick a Dynamon would trivialize it in a Max Raid Battle. ...granted, Max Raid Battles are too easy and simplistic still, IMO, with the only thing that makes them difficult is stuff like a certain Solrock...

Also, I would have totally loved to see Mega Evolutions in Galar get repurposed as G-Max Forms. I'd love to see stuff like G-Max Mega-Absol! (Of course, that'd give Charizard three G-Max forms. But what else is new?)

Season

Formally known as White Chaos.
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2020
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him/his
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is the Unovan regional form of the Pokémon White Chaos, shrugging the Dark/Psychic typing in favor of a Grass/Poison persona.
Dynamaxed Pokemon being immune to flinching was definitely a design choice with competitive in mind, as it helped balance Fake Out and Rock Slide, two incredibly powerful moves in VGC. Incineroar was one of the most popular Pokemon last generation and always had Fake Out, so Gamefreak saw that and probably adjusted Dynamax to give flinching immunity to balance it out, similar to how Electric gained immunity to paralysis and Grass types to spores the generation after Prankster T-Wave/Swagger Thunderus + Spore Smeargle was extremely dominant in VGC.

RadiantBeam

Evil Good
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water
Everyone says the Pokemon games have awesome soundtracks, and I agree. A lot of people say Hoenn has some of the best music of the older generations, and I absolutely agree. The music in Hoenn is so good that most of the time I don't mind leaving it on for grinding.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
I get a special feeling in my heart whenever I hear the Littleroot Town music while starting up a new Omega Ruby playthrough.

RadiantBeam

Evil Good
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Water
Hoenn was the first region I played when I was actually old enough to really appreciate the Pokemon games, so the generation's always had a special place in my heart. The music especially has always stayed with me, and it's made my Alpha Sapphire nuzlocke a lot of fun because the tracks still keep a lot of what made the original so good.

Emperor ServingSpoon

The original AND the 16th!
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Grass, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Adept at procrastination. If he ever seems productive, it's likely because he's ignoring something far more important.
Yeah, the Dynamax immunities were definitely made with competitive in mind. As a three turn pseudo Mega/Z-move combo, they don't want them to be rendered completely ineffective by a single status move, or forced to waste most of those three turns by being forced off the battlefield. You may not agree with the decision, but that just means that you have a different picture of competitive play than the one they had in mind when implementing those immunities. Bad decisions can be made intentionally (though I don't bother with competitive myself, so I don't have an opinion on the decision either way).

The Team Galactic, Team Plasma and Team Flare battle tracks are all amazing! They can derail my progress as much as they like so long as I can listen to those tracks while I beat them up!

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
Meanwhile, Kalos has the best gym leader theme, IMO. Lotta good contenders, like Galar and Unova, but Kalos' theme is just goood.

Really though, like or hate the 3D games, they tend to knock most of their music themes out of the park.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
All the Pokémon games have good music. I can't think of a single one that doesn't have at least one track I absolutely love. And that includes spinoffs like Colosseum/Gale of Darkness/Mystery Dungeon/etc.

Speaking of, I'd kill for a third Shadow Pokémon game. I don't know why they stopped after just two :c

Season

Formally known as White Chaos.
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2020
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him/his
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is the Unovan regional form of the Pokémon White Chaos, shrugging the Dark/Psychic typing in favor of a Grass/Poison persona.
When I was younger, I thought Eeveelutions and Charizard were neat but didn't want to acknowledge them as some of my favorite Pokemon to be "different" but now that I'm older, I fully embrace how much I appreciate them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)