• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Video Games Popular Pokemon Opinions

Bigredlittlewolf

On the corner of happy and sleep depravity
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 16, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
This user sometimes disappears for weeks on end to finish a single update, then bursts with activity for 30 hours straight.
Well folks. We have our sister thread Unpopular Pokemon Opinions. So here's the opposite. Here's the place to talk about your only slightly mild Pokemon takes. The one that everyone would probably agree with, but you still want to share because.. well, someone has to say it?

You don't agree with something on this thread? Tjats okay. Don't start a fight about it. Put it in the sister thread if you're passionate about it. But here is the place to sigh "thank God this is more popular then I thought"

I'll start. I'm so glad that Pokemon has FINALLY realized the marketability of the eeveelutions. I remember being a lot younger and never being able to see eeveelution merch, but now i see it everywhere? Which, oh thank god. Sylveon deserves to have merch made of it. I saw a sylveon plush at Walmart and cried.

Yeah, it's mostly about sylveon.

What about y'all? Any takes that are baby mild?

Jimcloud

Administrator
Administrator
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Pronouns
they/he/she
I was gonna talk about how fucking cute the eeveelutions are but it sounds like you got it covered here tbh

Fullmental

*Fódlan Winds intensifies*
Tech Team
🎇Contributor
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Rock, Clever
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon can sometimes be found meticulously editing and re-editing it's own content, never satisfied with the results.
Not a lot of popular opinions so far, I see.

I have a few that'll probably be pretty common, though it focuses more on the game design than anything else:

1) What is with the rivals recently? It's not just me, right? It seems the more Game Freak focuses on "developing" their rival characters, the more annoying they become. Why can't we have an asshole for a rival again? Someone we actively enjoy beating the crap out of 5-6 times throughout the game?

2) On the subject of annoying trends, framerates. Dear God, the 3DS was terrible at this. Ever since the introduction of 3D assets, we've seen chugging all day long on these games. I REALLY hope the Switch changes all that. The nice thing about the 2D era is that, for the most part, the games ran smoothly. Even Gen 5, which was starting to push the DS to its limits, never really struggled that much rendering all the pokemon sprites, or showing the overworld. There was a level of finesse and optimizations that just feels like it's been missing now for the better part of a decade.

I get it, too. 3D is hard. There's a lot more going on, and it's so much easier to exceed resource limits. But we're on ONE console, it's not like these games were designed for PC. They managed a consistent 60fps with SSB4, I'd kill for a consistent 30 in a Pokemon game these days.

Alchemy

One of those casuals
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 17, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/Her & They/Them
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Cabbie Alfie is a more reliable trainer than this idiot.
I'm trash for Blaziken and pseudo-legendaries like Salamence and Garchomp because god dammit they're so cool and stylish the feeling of accomplishment never gets old when I level grind them up and see them evolve to their last stage. It feels like a treat to me.

io_

planning things is easier than writing them xdfbgn
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
preferably they/them please :) please don't be mad at me over it
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This friendly ghost lurks around sites of interest and tries to say hi. They may project a little too much onto their writing.
I genuinely like Charizard, Greninja and Mew! Concepts like a cool ninja frog, a firebreathing lizard and the cute elusive ancestor are really nice to see.

Last edited:

Vexelbun

Robo-bun of Friendship
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
any
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Steel
I think this is generally agreed upon, but getting rid of HMs in Gen 7 was a HUGE blessing. I really can't imagine going back to them again afterwards. Such a simple, but massive quality of life improvement.

Little Winky

Master Procrastinator
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She keeps telling herself that one day she'll document one of her 10,000 runs. Maybe once she finishes half of them, she'll actually do that.
No amount of GameFreak forcing Lucario into each generation is ever gonna make me hate the thing. Lucario is awesome. Love the design, and it's great how it can utilize both physical and special sets. Though I'm tired of using it in X, I'd find a way to put it on my team in any other game.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Seconding the Charizard love. I know it's a corny pokemon, I know I'm a Genwunner, I know everyone loves to hate it, but I just love it so much (and much like everyone else, mainly thanks to Ash's Charizard. Also I always wanted to be "special" and pick the hard starter). I personally prefer Charmander btw, but it doesn't change the fact I just adore this entire line.

Lumaeus

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is trying its best to fight the good fight.
Based on what I've seen in others' runs, I know I'm far from being alone in wishing the Nugget Bridge Rocket's offer was actually real and that you could spend Kanto working with Team Rocket instead of dismantling them through violence.

io_

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This friendly ghost lurks around sites of interest and tries to say hi. They may project a little too much onto their writing.
Pokemon walking with you is adorable and it gives them so much life, especially when the nervous ones are afraid of heights but love splashing around in puddles or something

Dee

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Clever
Pokédex Entry
A regular writer of fanfics and other works, this pokemon loves puns, bugs, and the outdoors.
I love pokemon with designs like Flygon, Milotic, and Absol--elegant yet powerful

Just something about them is so cool

Yuriakashu

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/ They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
It consumes graphite and word processors. If it is standing still, something is wrong.
I hope this is a popular take ... I hope this is a popular opinion ... but please, Nintendo: we need a DPPT remake soon. Like, next year. I want to experience my favorite region in beautiful HD without the old 3D graphics making me motion sick.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
Seconding the Charizard and Lucario love. They're pretty much my two favorite Pokémon, and that's not gonna change regardless of whether people think they're "overrated".

The Man of Many Names

Formerly of the 4000+ Posts Club.
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 13, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Water, Steel
Pokédex Entry
With the pokedex number of 493, this Pokemon is essentially Arceus and fully intends to let the power get to his head.
Shiny Pokemon were a great addition to the series, and I still freak out every time I see one, regardless of how easy it is to find one.

PurpleEyedGuma

21st Century Schizoid Mon
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 9, 2019
Pronouns
They / Them
The games shouldn't be split into two versions. I get how trading between games is part of the appeal, but making two identical full-price games is kind of a scummy business practice. It would give every player the complete experience in one package.

Hydrochlorinate

Bard of Mind
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 2, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Preferring to operate in the dark, this pokemon is quick to obtain and discard many behaviors.
The music in pokemon games is spectacular. You could name any game, including spin-offs like stadium, or even shuffle, and I could name a good track from it.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 14, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Despite loving the outdoors, the Neb Pokemon more frequently participates in introverted hobbies. As a result it has a socially awkward temperment.
The 3D models introduced in X and Y for older Pokémon are really bland. Not only did a lot of shinies lose saturation in their colors, but many Pokémon just looked off. If you don’t believe me just look up the 3D models for Marshtomp or Typlosion.

SimplyUnknown

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
The 3D models introduced in X and Y for older Pokémon are really bland. Not only did a lot of shinies lose saturation in their colors, but many Pokémon just looked off. If you don’t believe me just look up the 3D models for Marshtomp or Typlosion.
I understand why people say this and the shinies definitely have no excuse. But I do think there is a reason for the models looking different. With sprites, it's a lot like we were looking at a snapshot taken during an action scene. Like Typhlosion had just lit up its flames and was about to go on the attack and someone took a photo and stuck it into the games. It's frozen in time. But with the 3d models, it's a lot more like we're watching the Pokemon in real life and not all Pokemon are in fighting mode at all times.

It's like a person has only seen pictures of a male lion when it's roaring and is disappointed when they go to the zoo and see the lion just lazes around most of the time doing nothing. Does it make sense? Yes. Would Typhlosion look a lot better if it had its fire going at all times? Of course. But in a real-world situation, that would cost a lot of energy and there's no reason to waste it if you don't have to.

Back to the topic of shinies though, can we all agree that shinies that look literally a slightly different shade than their original colors are the worst shinies to hunt for?

io_

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
So I've been using some of the Eeveeloutions in nuzlockes and I really like them! Umbreon looks awesome and was epic in HGSS, and Leafeon in Renegade Platinum is really strong and adorable so far. I'd love to use all of the others in nuzlockes someday, especially Glaceon and Espeon and even Flareon with its fluffiness. Eevee itself is also very huggable. This is. probably as popular an opinion as possible but I do not care xD

Also, beta Wooper is adorable and I care he

Dschubba

Has forgotten she's a diurnal creature.
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Female
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
I'm still saddened they axed mega-evolutions for a bland embiggening mechanic in Dynamax. That's a popular-ish opinion, right? Megas gave mons that fell kind of behind the curve a nice boost, so losing them stings. Especially Scizor and Mawile had such good megas...

I know Gigantamax is kind of a stand-in but solo raid farming broke me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)