• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Nuzlocke General Pokemon you've never used before a -locke?

In your run(s), did you use...

• Almost all Pokemon you've used before

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thread Description
Talking about the pokemon you didn't want, but ended up using.

RikuKitsune

Juggler (of 21 Pokemon Playthroughs and 'lockes)
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 31, 2020
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is impulsive and takes on too many tasks at once.
Just as the title implies! What memorable pokemon did you end up using in a Nulocke that you wouldn't have used in your team otherwise? Did it change your opinion of that Pokemon? How often do you end up using mon you've never used before?

Dancing Omastar

Jack of some trades
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
Well, I have always mostly ignored Tentacools but when I caught a Tentacruel in my Crystal nuzlocke I changed my mind. She became one of my most useful 'mons with her Barrier and strong STAB moves (also Tentacruels apprently know Attract. I have no idea why and how it works but it was useful nonetheless).

I've also thought Bidoofs were just OK. But now they are my favorite route 1 derps in the entire series - they have two incredibly useful in nuzlockes abilities - Unaware and Simple. The first is especially good in the early game when everything uses Growl and Leer on you and Simple, while being a double-edged sword, allows you to turn your Bidoof into an unstoppable weapon of mass destruction (the line can learn Double team, Defense curl and some other useful stat-boosting moves.)

Ionbird

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 11, 2020
I didn't use Butterfree that often in the late game but in my Leaf Green Wedlocke I had one that helped carry me all the way to the champion. She helped beat Brock (I picked Charmander and didn't have any Mankey or Nidoran at the time) by setting up Hardens and actually eating up Rock Tombs from the Onix. Her moveset was pretty stellar. She had Sleep Powder which was boosted by Compound Eyes, Substitute to block hits before setting up Sleep Powder, plus Giga Drain and Dream Eater which hit most of Kanto for at least neutral damage. She held her own against the champion's Arcanine and actually forced him to use full restores twice and only died to a misclick. She even managed to survive a Flamethrower before dying to Extremespeed. Same with her partner Raticate who could do some surprising damage with Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt for coverage and even Hyper Beam which I abused with Set Mode to switch out after making a KO with it.

I also used a Golduck in Platinum. I decided to keep her after naming her after my favorite superhero and she did great. She nullified Selfdestructs on Iron Island with Damp, took down Cyrus' Houndoom and Honchkrow singlehandedly, swept Bertha, and took down Cynthia's Milotic. She did pretty well and contributed to my relatively low death count of 2 prior to the Pokemon League.

redninjapuffle

The Nuzlocke Kid with stories
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
I have quite a few, first off in Alpha Sapphire I had an Armaldo named Proto, Didn't think much of it, but he kicked ass
Pon the Vanilluxe helped me a lot more then I thought it would.
I would not want to meet Ganna, the hyper beaming Lilligant who will kill you.
Gastrodon were always eh for me, Nan proved me wrong so much in the gymlocke shield run

pikamewphlosion

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
I had a Shuckle in Pokémon sword. Normally I don’t like passive Pokémon, and was hoping for a growlithe in Dusty bowl.... but who cares when you can solo Bea’s lead by not attacking? It killed itself with helmet recoil.

Shulk continued to be a true monster all the way to the end

SimplyUnknown

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
The Pokemon that mainly come to mind are Skarmory (since I never played a Hoenn game), Bronzor/Bronzong (because I wasn't too fond of the line and it was either Bronzor or Gible), and Glaceon (because my team was set by the time I got one).

Bronzong and Glaceon were both in Storm Silver which is a hack, but I did enjoy using both of them until Bronzong's untimely death due to a crit Explosion from full health. Glaceon went all the way and was excellent every time. Skarmory was an interesting Pokemon that I did enjoy using, though I didn't take him to the Elite 4 because of type match-ups.

• Love
Reactions: io_

Sirwallaby

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
I beat u-necrozma with a shuckle once so that definitely had an impact on my newfound appreciation for shuckle. His name was Cheri and was one of my favorite team mates.

TrueZero2

Ninja! Comic! Best Match!
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
For me, one of the big standouts was my Rhydon in an old Fire Red run. I'd lost my Snorlax while in the Sevii Islands and I needed a new tank, so I grabbed the Rhyhorn I caught from the Safari Zone. It was so much fun to use.

pinkshellos

Black Lives Matter !!
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 23, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Flying
Pokédex Entry
A timid Pokémon typically found in groups. The only thing that motivates her more than companionship is food.
Prior to starting my first nuzlocke I never, ever would've used the Drowsee/Hypno line. I thought their designs were bad and I was never big on psychic-type pokemon -- but I ended up choosing to use one over an Abra because it had a bit more bulk, and that decision paid off in the long run. Now I have a soft spot for the line (but I think their front sprites and 3D models still look a bit ugly, ha ha.)

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I never gave Masquerain a second thought before my Omega Ruby nuzlocke, and now I love it to pieces. That thing survived so many battles that it had no right to survive.

Also, Alolan Raticate. I didn't expect mine to do so much work in my Let's Go Eevee nuzlocke, but daaaaaaang. It had one job and one job only: kill stuff. Which it did. Repeatedly. Without fail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)