• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Eight of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode bids adieu to another story and welcomes in a new one. Protagonists also star in our discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Screenshot Let's Play Hack Pokemon XG: NeXt Generation+

Thread Description
Now playing Beta 1.2! Latest: #BB1, 01/8

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
Well, this Lovrina features some wonderful tonal dissonance from the other version of her... she’s really funny in this, and I love that her dialogue has been updated

just have an entire team of dogs, your bipedal stuff has let you down so much

Master Bryss

zd zd
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Their body is made of an intricate and interconnected weave of their own puns.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Replies
@Trollkitten: It's entirely possible it has two potential Abilities, given that our Eevee used to have it. Except, on checking the documentation, Levitate is Beedrill's only Ability. Oops.

@TheTRUEgge: It's lowkey the best change XG made, above all that 'modern mechanics' stuff no-one cares about. :v
XG001+3: Miror Miror

Time to go to Pyrite again, where names get double consonantly and the cliccs keep cliccing in the background. Clicc. Clicc.

Except no we're doing Mt. Battle Area 1 first.

Like before, Mt. Battle Areas are split into two halves, each with a different theme. All the levels are the same across the Area (which now starts at 20 instead of 30 like in the last playthrough). Area 1A as we'll now call it is Ghost-themed, and after the first three Trainers we fought before it gets funky.

The person in the #5 slot is the midboss. As you can tell by the fact that I'm now fighting six evolved Ghosts that are giving me a run for my money despite the lower level. This... is going to be a theme.

The real trick that Trick Room Dusclops played here was convincing Brian that he was a Shroomish. That was a bit of a surprise towards fight's end. Obviously I'm okay because I have a Mightyena with Moxie, but oof.

Area 1B, however, is less Cola-friendly, as it's still Fighting. The only real concession made here from last time is that all instances of Blaziken have been replaced with Combusken. Speed Boost is still present.

As is this beastly boy. I'm having fun.

The Combusken, on the other hand, haven't got a better Fire move than Ember. It's all a bit uneven but it is more experience than regular Area 1 so I'm not complaining.

By the end of this we should have enough stored up to bring Electrike up to speed with the other two members of the Quad Squad.

Vander's team is slightly different here, with Hariyama replaced.

With some veeeery careful application of speed tiers and Psychic Fangs, Cola actually did good work here, although didn't make it to the end of the fight because come on I'm not that good. For our efforts, we've got enough Coupons to keep the Move Reminder happy for weeks. Plus, we can see what the normal rewards are.

In the last build, I got 200 Coupons and a Macho Brace. This is... better. Much better. I could now swap Whisky to Flash Fire if I wanted for extra oomph on Fire Fang if I feed in another Fire move (ie Cola's Flame Charge), among other things.

Red Bull's ready and raring to go! At least, until the sugar crash kicks in. Three for three on Fire moves now.

Here's the prize list (Water Stone can also be bought). Another round of the Ghostpunch Zone will get me enough coupons for Cola's Scarf or a Toxic Orb for Whisky. But that's for a few levels from now.

Before that, let's get this SD Card nonsense dealt with.

Cail's back to normal! I wasn't sure he was significant enough to count given he has no plot role in XD. Silva, however, who had a similarly minor role, is not back to normal. There's a word for this...

(Also, Cola Crunch! It's like Coke that breaks your teeth!)

Johnson's still Johnson because he was always a Johnson, but it's good to have these two clowns back.

Oh Dip! The Trainers in Duel Square are all geared for EV training if you're into that. I think this was the case before too, but Dip didn't start with Blissey last time so the starting EV number must have been bumped.

Fateen and Sherles haven't been changed back...

But Gonzap has! Wahey! This TM will be put on something soon.

Not sure what the second screenshot here says about the quality of the bedding...

Whisky can learn this! That might be normal?

Okay, Pyrite Colosseum's usually all 20s, so it should be a great place to level for a little bi-

...Umm.

What.

Excuse. Me.

ESCAAAAAPE?

"You okay?"

Pyrite Colosseum... it's all single battles...

"I'm... sorry?"

Like, with one... and then one... but they're not both on your side? What... what even is this?

Switch-happy singles in your area want to meet up! And then immediately bugger off somewhere else!

It was these two and a Technician Aipom that loved a good priority move. But... I...

God, if Miror B. still comes to Colosseums, this is gonna involve snagging Shadows with one active teammate.

This void of existential contemplation, which accurately reflects my state of mind when SINGLE BATTLES? AGAINST TRAINERS? IN ORRE?, allows us to access our PC between rounds if we like. Thus, we can swap out our lead and even remove fully-lowered Shadows to swap in new ones mid-flow. Except the Singles format means Colosseum fights aren't as good for manual purification now unless you've just got one to do.

The lack of any text telling you this is either a bug or a feature. Unclear.

Yeah, the world's gone totally upside down. We're doing singles in Orre and Maxie's a buff tough man of the sea.

Volt Switch on the Raichu, too. I really did not set up for this format.

Three for three on Trainers doing a manual change so far. Will the champ be the same?

Probably. (Sidenote: there's another Jojo who's a Cool Trainer in Area 1 of Mt. Battle. Duplicity!)

I half expected this to be a Swords Dance Extreme Speed Linoone, but my fears were unfounded. It was just Slash.

I actually had very little that could deal with the Dewgong by the time it came out, so that was a tough one. For winning, we get about £7800 in prize money and the Brace that used to be at Mt. Battle. The other three rounds can wait until I've developed the team more.

My plan is to grab one thing from each of the Poke Spots, which only scratches the surface of the 75 available wilds (albeit some of them are evolved forms of other things on the list so it's not actually 75 lines). Again, the full lists are in the accompanying documents.

After grabbing the highly decent reward for moving Kandee up one floor...

"I'm supposed to be in charge here" is a big mood on Secc's part. Sure, buddy. That's why you didn't get a top floor office.

"Yes, Raymond. One of your... colleagues from the ninety-ninth precinct."

Duking time! Oh boy!

This would be great if it weren't for the whole 'hits three' deal. Bulldoze, incidentally, now hits three like it's meant to, unlike in the last build I played.

According to Escape, it's a coffee-based liqueur. Still gets Ice Shard. On the team for now, but we're in bad need of an Experience Share given that Mt. Battle isn't exactly babbo-friendly right now. This is what got the Stomping Tantrum TM.

I'm still amazed by the gigantic personality switch between ColoDuking and XDuking. He clearly sprung back hard from the crushing depression that being a puppet of a ridiculously-afroed man in a gaudy yellow suit brings on.

In this build, we only get 5 Poke Snacks instead of 10. Stingy. Leave 'em for a bit, and....

DUKING-BRAND POKE SNACKS! YOU'LL RISE FROM YER GRAVE FOR 'EM!

Drambuie (26M) here would walk with his wings as forelegs if he had to walk on the ground like a pleb and therefore qualifies for Quad Squad. Tough Claws, starting with Rock Tomb, Crunch, Sandstorm, and Hone Claws.

By sheer coincidence, he's even one of the rare ones Duking wants this time! The reward is Johto mid-stage starters, which I think it was last time too.

Like before, legendaries can turn up at Poke Spots as well: the beast trio, Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza, all at 50. I don't know if they're tied to particular Spots or can show at any one. They might actually bring the total up to 75 again...

Next is the Cave Spot, where Miror B still has extrra baggage.

Not that it changes one jot how great he is and why he should inexplicably cameo in New Pokemon Snap.

Ignoring the bit where he psychologically destroyed Duking, anyway.

LET ME JOINNNNNN

Urgh. Fine. Send out your Lombre and let's get this over with.

...Uh oh.

As is the archetypal Miror B Experience, the Ludicolo have a mix of Rain Dish and Swift Swim, and know Rain Dance, Surf, Giga Drain, and Flavour Move. One's got Reflect.

The Shadow Ludicolo from last time is still here too, and this fight nearly handed my arse to me on a sambuca-themed plate.

Shadow Wave is a 90/90 Special move that hits everyone but the user and has no other effect other than being brown and eeeeevil. Its other move is Shadow Slap, which it never used.

The non-Shadow ones also come with a held Dosha Berry. It weakens the attack power of a super-effective Shadow move. Obviously.

After snagging the Shadow one, I barely make it to the end of the fight without having to get Whisky involved. The Reflect didn't help, since my main Special user went down early.

This isn't even the hardest fight in this update. Nope.

That honour goes to...

...Wait, hold the phone. Remembered what now?

This Dratini isn't the hardest fight either, although it's nice that I have two of the Pokemon on Duking's hit list.

No. The hardest battle I endured this update... is this Feebas.

This. Level. One. Feebas.

Feebas, along with Magikarp, can spawn at L1 at the Oasis Spot knowing only Splash. With a catch rate of 255, getting it into a normal Ball ought not to be too hard. AND YET. This thing did NOT want to sit.

It got to the point where I racked my brain for ways I could actually weaken it and realised that between Clefairy's Shadow Snooze and Drambuie's Sandstorm, I actually had a reliable method.

All the while, this wee feeble bass kept breaking out of every Ball I threw.

Eventually, I did manage to get it to sit, but it took an embarrasingly large number of attempts.

It gets the honour of being Sparkling Water. If I actually knew how Feebas evolved in this hake, I could even find a loophole for getting it into Quad Squad. For now though, sit in the box and think about what you've done.

Whew. Long update. If only I had a suitably out-of-context 'that's all for now' screen I could leave up and scarper away into the night with.

...Hang on.

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Aerodactyl totally belongs on the quad squad; I’m glad it’s here! And of course the feebas would be inexplicably hard to catch. Why not?

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I'm happy to see the term 'Quad Squad' has stuck. I wish I could take credit for it, but alas, the name originated with Twitch Plays Pokemon's Blazed Glazed run, in which for inexplicable reasons the chat decided that everyone on our team should have four legs on the ground. (I say 'on the ground' because one of our mons was a Scolipede, which kind of breaks the format.)

Master Bryss

zd zd
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Is there such a thing as a nice simple bulk image resizer that isn't spyware or bad in some way? Because Imgur HATES these screenshots and Windows 10 means I no longer have the thing I used for the original XG shots.

Replies
@TheTRUEgge: It taunted me with every flop. Every. Single. One.

@Trollkitten: Scolipede can be an honourary quad! It's a goodipede!
XG001+4: Some ON BS

I mean, you've seen the size of the Cipher commander who led this op. The poor bodyguard probably punched straight into hard plastic before being counterpunched into the floor.

This time, the ONBS assault is notable for one main reason.

For whatever reason, most of the Peons lead with one Pokemon with the ability Lightning Rod. This opening Peon's Seadra and Seaking (SeaSea!) was pretty hard to deal with given I have no Grass type and was pretty reliant on Red Bull for these sorts of enemies.

This is your reminder of how crippling weak to Water the current iteration of the team is. Tropius would solve this while being a quad...

Shadow Pelipper appears here to kill the mood with some rain. I think this one's a bonus Shadow to boot, Brad didn't have one originally.

It seems to be an unwritten rule that all Shadow Waters now carry Shadow Wave. Fortunately, with the regular Waters gone, we have the Aura Filter for resistance.

Since Red Bull was SO CLOSE to being Manectric I stop to challenge the female Chaser in Duel Square, who seems to be Attack EVs like Worker Dip was HP.

This was before I knew everyone and their non-lightning dog in ONBS had Lightning Rod so I was pretty chuffed to have Manectric. It doesn't quite have Mega Manectric's stats but they do differ to base Manectric as follows, at least according to the docs:

HP: 65 (-5)
ATK: 90 (+20)
DEF: 60 (+/- 0)
SP ATK: 110 (+5)
SP DEF: 60 (+/- 0)
SPD: 125 (+20)
BST: 510 (+35)

Very Jolteon, this, but with Attack and Special Defence swapped round and a few misplaced 5s.

Shadow Pelipper sports a Shadow variant of Tailwind. Because it can and does get worse.

Lightning Rod #2.

Lightning Rod #3.

Still the best Peon, is Lift Peon.

Especially when his abilities benefit me directly!

Shadow Torkoal is... uniquely challenged. By this I mean 'has no offensive Shadow move at all, just Shadow Guard and Shadow Burn,' the latter being Will-o-Wisp with 95 accuracy. The first move it remembers is Flamethrower, but until then, nothing. This made it annoying as heck to catch as it just spammed Guard infinitely.

*insert tired 'insert tired joke about Elon Musk' joke here*

That fight got Kahlua to Donphan for increased Ice Shard oomph.

Lightning Rod #4, the original and best.

Aside from Pelipper, is this the Building of Hoenn One-Stage Shadows?

Sandshrew will hurt its own teammate with impunity, so watch out here if you're going for as little Miror B contact as possible.

Nosepass has possibly the weirdest Shadow move yet, an 85/95 Physical move that has an 100% chance to disable the target's last move. It's a cool concept that'll make for a terrifying Legendary move in two generations or so but... why is it Physical of all things? Is Nosepass... identifying the pressure points it needs to apply its nose to in order to shut off our Bending?

At this point, Drambuie gets some Fang options, but not Thunder for whatever reason. We grab Ice. Whisky skips Swords Dance for now.

With the ONBS chests now accessible, we find a TM we can't use...

And a rando Kanto Shadow! Wave again.

This Staryu is actually pretty mean. The Shell Bell heals it three times if it hits its ally. I should also point out that said allies were holding Dosha Berries, which makes me wonder if most Cipher-owned regular Pokemon have them.

This used to the Commander's Shadow. Guess it lost some status. It used nothing but Shadow Slap, which was annoying on Turn 1 and then useless.

Mate, you'll lose the SD card in those giant mitts of yours. Maybe transfer it to a ROM first?

Exol also gets his name back, and a new team! They're pretty hard, with the Hitmonchan spamming Bullet Punch while the Kanga uses elemental moves.

With all the Fighting moves on display, Cola's in a bit of a bind.

Worse, the Heracross has Skill Link.

Torkoal tries SO HARD when it uses moves... oh yeah, Shadow Mawile. This one has Intimidate.

For our efforts yadda yadda IT'S NEARLY TIME PEOPLE.

WE CAN NOW DO!

SOME BRAND NEW BATTLE BINGO CARDS!

These are going to get their own update though since I didn't have any to do in the last build and that means I might need to actually explain some things.

I'm so excited.

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
One question: what exactly are Dosha berries? I don't believe I've ever heard of those before. Are those the things that weaken Shadow-type moves?

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Oh, nice, looks like you got lots of shadows this time around! Torkoal is trying its best

i’m excited to see your battle bingo coverage! Should be good fun

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Capable of casually moving faster than the speed of sound. His top speed is unknown, though some theorise it to be faster than light itself.
One question: what exactly are Dosha berries? I don't believe I've ever heard of those before. Are those the things that weaken Shadow-type moves?
To answer your question, they're a type-resistant berry for Shadow moves. Bryss explained this in Post #3, during the fight with Miror B.

Master Bryss said:
I stop to challenge the female Chaser in Duel Square, who seems to be Attack EVs like Worker Dip was HP.
This is correct. In fact, all 5 trainers in Duel Square (and Dip) focus on a specific EV:

Worker Dip: HP
Chaser (F) Tammy: Attack
Rider Phil: Defense
Chaser (M) Tyler: Special Attack
Bodybuilder Tommy: Special Defense
Hunter Davis: Speed.

You'll want to refight a bunch of optional trainers (Including the EV trainers) after beating Greevil for the first time, as a bunch of new Shadow Pokemon come along at that point.

Notably...
Gateon Port
Chaser Ruby has a Shadow Latias.
The final Miror B. fight's Shadow Dragonite has been replaced with a Shadow Ho-Oh.
Pyrite Town
Rogue Cail in has a Shadow Latios.
Chaser Tammy has a Shadow Parasect.
Rider Phil has a Shadow Deoxys.
Hunter Davis has a Shadow Wobbuffet.
Chaser Tyler has a Shadow Lunatone.
Bodybuilder Tommy has a Shadow Wigglytuff.
Worker Dip has a Shadow Dunsparce.
Phenac City
Fun Old Man Ernie has a Shadow Solrock.
Outskirts Stand
Rider Willie has a Shadow Farfetch'd.
Agate Village
Cool Trainer Lola has a Shadow Masquerain.
Fun Old Man Dusty has a Shadow Beautifly.
Matron Sally has a Shadow Butterfree.
Bodybuilder Dan has a Shadow Lickitung.
Rider Alex has a Shadow Girafarig.

Also, a note, There are quite a few legendaries obtainable that aren't Shadow Pokemon. Here's a list! By the way, you can't find Suicune, Entei and Raikou at Poke Spots any more. All of them use the same battle theme as Shadow Lugia.

Returning to the Cipher Key Lab after leaving the area will allow you a shot at capturing Raikou, who waits in front of the facility.
Heading to Phenac around the same time will let you challenge Suicune.
Entei awaits you on the deck of the S.S. Libra at around the same time Suicune and Raikou become available.

After beating Greevil returning to the lava caves on Citadark Isle will probably surprise you, as Groudon awaits there.
Phenac Stadium's use may have been discontinued, but there is another battle you can do there- after beating Greevil, Kyogre can be fought there.
The top of the Cipher Key Facility is where Rayquaza can be found. Just like with the land and sea titans, it can only be found after beating Greevil.

If you can reach the top of Mt. Battle and defeat Hacker Starz (A creator cameo), he'll gift you one of three Pokemon: Mew, Celebi or Jirachi, all level 60. (Replacing the Johto Starters). Repeating this will allow you to acquire the other two. Also, the Mew has Psystrike in its starting moveset. Jirachi has Meteor Mash in its moveset.

This means that the only Legendary Pokemon not obtainable in the game is Mewtwo. Apparently there's SOMETHING planned for it, but that's not been done yet.

Lastly, I'd just like to point something out to you, Bryss, that you may have missed:

Ability Capsules are in this game, so the abilities of your Pokemon are NOT FIXED! Though be careful, if you select a Pokemon with an Ability Capsule, it changes the ability instantly, with no prompt to say no (I made this mistake and ended up having my Vaporeon lose Storm Drain for a while- Storm Drain actually completely renders Vaporeon's other ability, Water Absorb, meaningless).

Last edited:

Master Bryss

zd zd
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Replies
@Trollkitten: As other people said, they're a Berry that weaken super-effective Shadow moves. I did mention it in a throwaway line during the Miror B fight.

@TheTRUEgge: I thought that too! Then I played the cards! I jest, they were still fun, but it was an Experience.

@Neosonic97: You have given me a list so I don't have to trial-and-error the Duel Square! Cheers! I was aware of the Capsule since I got some in Mt Battle Area 1, but the fact that the legends are fixed location now and not Spot-based is Good To Know.
XGBB1+1: Battle Bingo!

Allllllrighty then! Ladies, move! Gentlemen, move! Everyone else, move! It's time for Baaaaaattle Bingo!

For those of you who didn't play XD, Battle Bingo is a game in which you, the player, try and flip over all the squares in a 4x4 grid. If you are able to do this, you win Poke Coupons (or if you fail, you still win Coupons based on how many bingo lines you get).

Behold, the Starter Card! As you can see, most tiles have a Pokemon type on them, with the exception of the three ? tiles. We also have our starting Pokemon, Bagon, two Energy Points (EP) for the Bagon, and two Master Balls.

To enter a tile, we need to spend one EP from one of our Pokemon. If the tile we enter is a Pokemon tile, that will cause our Pokemon to enter a battle with whatever is on that tile. Like so!

We can now battle the Magby, catch it, surrender, or check the bingo card. Since we'll only have one EP after this fight is over, catching it is probably a good idea. (Remember I said that.)

We are now the proud owner of an L5 Magby! I should note that in the original game, all the Novice cards had L30 Pokemon.

Our new Magby comes with 2 EP by default, and a Fire-type move. Yes, move singular. Every Battle Bingo Pokemon has but one move to its name. Because this is the basics for beginners card, every Pokemon has a STAB move. Bagon has Dragon Breath!

When you make your first move, you can begin from anywhere on the card, but after that you can only move left, right, up, or down of a tile you've already cleared. Hence we go for the ? tile to the right of Magby, which turns out to be a free +2 EP (so net gain of 1). This can be freely distributed among your team, so we give both points to Magby.

(The three ? tiles are always the following: one +1 EP, one +2 EP and one +1 Master Ball. This means the 'net zero' tile and the 'extra catch' tiles remain.)

Next, we'll try the Grass tile north of Magby's tile. That way, we can get something to handle the Water tiles that will finish Row 3.

Sunkern! Not ideal, but it'll have something I'm sure. Come to think of it, I haven't checked what Magby's move is. Let's investigate together!

...Oh. Is this... is this the tutorial that goes wrong?

No matter, we can use this to suss out what Sunkern's move is!

...Oh no.

So, a common feature of later Battle Bingo cards in the original game was 'gotcha' tiles that aren't actually very good. For example, in the Sudowoodo Card, where every encounterable Pokemon was Flying type except your starting Sudowoodo, one of the tiles had a Gligar with Earthquake. I assumed I would be safe enough from these in the beginner cards.

I was wrong.

This matchup isn't winnable for us due to the HP drain, and I am NOT wasting my only other Master Ball on a Sunkern. Moral of this story is, I should have tested the Magby with Dragon Breath since it wouldn't have KO'd.

The south Grass tile is much improved.

We also grab the 'net zero' tile, meaning the last ? tile must be the Master Ball. Which, given one of our catches is a bust whose 1 EP is only good for GETTING said Master Ball, we badly need.

In fact...

Let's get that right now, since Leech Seed won't touch Treecko.

Getting that Master Ball also gets us our first bingo line!

You get one new EP for every line you complete, thus giving you enough to actually finish the card plus some change. If you play a perfect game with no wasted EP, you get a few more Coupons. You get even more if you can do it without using all your Master Balls. We won't be trying for these things, though. Completing these cards will be enough glory.

I suspect that the Water next to Sunkern is also a dud (going for the middle 4 is a solid opening move and these cards are probably designed based on you having completed all the cards in the original game and thus Knowing What You're Doing), so go for the one to the right of the Master Ball. It's another starter, so it must be solid.

It was! Thanks, Bagon!

Next, let's set up the diagonal.

Clearly it's 9 starters and 3 duds, plus one extra Water since there's three mystery tiles.

Lo and behold, it was! This one was placed further away to lure me into a false sense of security.

We now have a decent strategy of 'Bagon handles Grass, SE for anything else,' which should net us the rest of the card.

Yep, no more surprises here.

I mean it. You're expecting this to go so wrong, but nope. On track.

Aside from Oddly Blue Marill Tail.

There we go! Our first card cleared on go #1, despite my early misstep.

We get Coupons! 960 of them to be exact. Not 4,000 but still good for Relearner.

Each Card also has a nice little first-clear bonus. It's never exciting but it's nice to have. Unless the later ones are super good here.

Completed Cards are marked with a little star for convenience. Next up, it's the Magnemite Card!

...What's the one Normal? Anyway, it looks like this is where we're going to start having real fun. Expect about two thirds of these things not to have a STAB move (or at least not the one that's printed on the tile).

I should also note that the type match-up chart here has not been edited with the Dark/Steel changes, probably because it's all one image or something.

After my earlier mishap with middle panel duds, this time I'm trying an outside tactic. It's netted me... something that probably won't be terribly useful. In fact, I think I'll just defeat it and pin my hopes on the second card.

Air Slash would probably work on the Fighting cards, but Pidgey's stats leave a lot to be desired, and in a one-on-one scenario, that could make all the difference. Pass.

Watch as this is Return Pidgeotto or something.

Nope! We have to catch Gligar without knowing what move it has, since we'd fail immediately if we didn't.

It's a lighter and softer version of the Earthquake Gligar from the all-Flying card in vanilla XD! Neat! This should do the job on the Rock cards.

Of course with only 2 EP (now 1), Gligar's going to need help. And if there's one thing you can count on, it's for generic everyman Fighting Pokemon Matthias "Just A Child With Body Paint On and some practical FX" Chop to have a Fighting move. Surely.

...Wait that said Bullet Punch didn't it.

Bollocks. Okay, not a total loss. Steel still skills well against Rock. Except we've got something for Rock, so... ???

Final Pokemon on the top row is Nosepass. With its high Defence and sand up, Machop's got a war of attrition on its hands.

The first round is... not ideal. I thought I'd maybe get a bit more done than that? What I want to happen now is for Rock Tomb to miss. That should even the playing field here.

This never happened. In fact, it scored two critical hits. First defeat of the board!

Gligar easily takes the win, but that gives us a whopping 2 EP going forward. We basically have to take Column B to stand a chance.

Attempt to catch a proper Fighting Pokemon #2.

Makuhita is just the Machop of Gen III, if you ignore that it was never found far away from Machop. So...

Nope, it's Ice Punch!

The one thing that can't be taken from us though is our resistances! Ice Punch still has decent power, if we use it right we can still carry the day!

Insert comment broken up with a dash because of what happens in the next screen you've probably already seen at this poi-

...so there's going to be an attempt #2 at this card.

With no way of scoring another line, our last EP is purely for recon purposes. Swablu exists. Good to know.

Attempt 2!

Starting this card right with a powerful floating Keith. Advantage us.

We can then sweep through some panels we've seen before, adding more EP to our best stuff...

...and then starting exploring new places.

Zen Headbutt Meditite. Of course. Maybe the last Fighting tile actually has a Fighting move?

Recruiting our old buddy Gligar is a good final capture to round out the 'three winners and a dud' format I should probably get used to.

Larvitar must be the 'token Rock Rock' of the clan.

The diagonal is what we want next.

Oho! So it's not always one token? This is throwing my metrics way off. How am I supposed to bingo while I battle and battle while I bingo with such inconsistent attack selection!

I kid of course. I'm screaming at the screen after every gotcha panel because I like this.

Harder Battle Bingo cards pretty much necessitate a scout run then a proper go-round once you have some information. It's part of the charm of the format! That appeared in this one game and then never again.

This time I should have it.

And that seals it! Unless the final panel's a level 50 Regirock and I've been played for a fool again.

It was not that thing I just said. That's the game!

This just leaves the Nuzleaf card for the beginner section. How appropriate!

...You're saying this like the last one didn't try to trick me?

Theoretically, then, Nuzleaf has advantage over most of the board here. We all know that's rubbish, though.

We'll start in the middle again this time and hope. Pupitar seems like it'll be Rock or Ground at any rate.

Rock Slide. I didn't test it against Mega Drain for obvious reasons, but this should be a solid enough ally.

Ground move. I bet you. I absolutely bet you.

And a tank, too!

Electric square to Pupitar's ri- oh? What's happened here?

(It got better.)

The good news is that Pikachu does have an Electric move. The bad news...

Is that it's this one.

Running into Lombre doesn't improve things much to be honest.

In fact, I'd lose an EP here if I didn't just catch the 'upgrade to Nuzleaf.' It's not a straight upgrade due to resistance alterations, but it's a change.

Flaaffy ran Shock Wave. Nothing too special, but I'd have preferred that to Volt Tackle.

Triple points here. This should give us plenty to go for the diagonal.

THIS. SPHEAL.

This was pain. To barely tank the Ice Beam and then be Hailed on anyway... after it pretended to be Sturdy... these are the rolls you don't want.

Nuzleaf would probably have struggled with this too due to having just Mega Drain. Lombre is the only solution.

Bottom corner, thankfully, is much easier. Just don't bring Nuzleaf again I guess.

Going up Column A, though...

This is bad. If Lombre can somehow power through the Magneton we'll be able to score a bingo and maybe eke out a win by a veeery specific route map.

However, this is the state of play after one round. And Flash Cannon has a chance to drop Special Defence. This... isn't happening.

We will therefore call this challenge here and make...

Attempt 2!

This time we'll grab the powerful Ground move off the bat, and use that to defeat the Magneton.

He said, forgetting that line got an ability change despite literally STARTING with a Levitate Magnemite in the last card.

Wait... hang on a second...

This might not be a bad idea!

First bingo line is pretty simple after that since Overheat can't touch Marshtomp.

We'll then sweep the Pupachu row for our second...

And now I have to think about final catch.

Lombre's still the clear winner out of what I know. Powerful move, weird resistances.

We can then top up our ailing EP by clearing Column D...

And exact our revenge on this spherical forker.

I SAID...

EXACT. REVENGE.

I should point out that I did get a Flash Cannon in before this, we're not THAT slow. But it'll be a 2HKO, and that requires, y'know, a second hit. God, this is like when I was ONE TILE away from completing the first intermediate tile in XD the other week and I got burned on my last viable shot.

WAHEYYYYYY!

That might have gone very poorly otherwise.

This was as basic as you like, which I'm not going to complain about given the other tiles.

And provided that the remaining Waters and Grounds aren't weird, Lombre should sew up the rest of this tile. I'll be giving some EP to Magneton though in case the typing and floating come in handy.

...Huh.

WAIT.

Fun fact! Bounce doesn't charge up in XG, acting more like a less accurate Flying Body Slam.

Other fun fact! This is exactly the sort of scenario where, somehow, Magneton with only a Steel move has advantage!

It's not a HUGE advantage, but I'm very slowly winning the damage race. Plus, Bounce might miss or I might get Flash Cannon's secondary effect.

Edged it out! That was a close one.

The Ground tiles remaining are probably Gligar and this.

Magneton would have crushed this, but Lombre will suffice.

A little bit of luck and we're on our way! Just got to...

...Hmm.

Okay so I expected this to be Ground again, but because we're invoking the quad resistance we've still won. Slowly, but we've won.

And that's us!

We have officially cleared all three beginner cards! Not gonna lie, those were tougher than I thought they'd be, and they're well-designed to boot. Lots of interesting pairings in there.

We'll take a break before covering the next lot of cards (maybe after Key Lair), but for now let's preview what we're up against.

...Can I get an adult, please?

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Oh, nice work on the battle bingo! It looks tricky, but pretty fun!

aha that immunity card will be... an experience once you get to it, huh

Neosonic97

The Fastest Thing Alive
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Water, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Capable of casually moving faster than the speed of sound. His top speed is unknown, though some theorise it to be faster than light itself.
I guess you could say that last card is... bugging you?

...I'm not sorry.

As for knowing the EV training stuff, I did it mostly so that I wouldn't have to keep second-guessing myself while EV-Training Team Members for the Orre Colosseum (starting with my Latias).

Also, yeah. Your 'mons in Battle Bingo can be Shiny. Also, the Shiny Bug is fixed, meaning any Shadow Pokemon you catch that's Shiny will still be Shiny when you purify it.

In my case, the Shiny Shadow I acquired was one of Gorigan's new Shadows...

Specifically, his Shadow Regirock was shiny for me.

Also, yes. Colosseum battles are single battles... EXCEPT for Miror B.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)