• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Eight of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode bids adieu to another story and welcomes in a new one. Protagonists also star in our discussion segment!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Screenshot Let's Play Hack Pokemon XG: NeXt Generation+

Thread Description
Now playing Beta 1.2! Latest: #BB1, 01/8
F

FoxMan

Welcome back, friend!

Bald Moltres reminds me of that one Japanese Fire Red hack that gives you a bald pre-evolution to the fire bird. which if I recall correctly was also named Fire, but in different Japanese characters than how Moltres is written

A

Appleture Science

Bias? You? Of course. :v
Oh nooooooo I still want to snag Cuddles

So train Cipher people to be electricians. Problem solved.
Sandbag? Like hit them with bats?
Best guard, 10/10 would guard again.
THE TRASHY NONFIXEDLEVEL IS AN EYESORE.

Oooh, shiny.
You tried :v
And P2200.
Oh, well then. Any particularly notable ones?

WOW, SHOCKING.
Earthquakes are Dugtrio, not Absol :v
Wow! I couldn't have guessed, I thought it was a combination of snore and lax!
GRomLET is the best name.

Pika smalla.
...ooooh, that would be interesting.
Get a Geomancer, they stop you falling into holes.
...ooooh, Aerodactyl.

WHAT. WHY DOES THE ADMIN GET A FLUFFY, I DISAPPROVE
Something something boulders particles.
I'd put my hands up but I can't type like that.
GROUDON AND TINY GROUDON WOULD LIKE TO BATTLE

>Rain Dance Jumpluff
NRADA IS THAT YOU
Adminland, land of the admins. And the lands.

V

Versil

Well, Crush Grip is as underwhelming as its owner.

Spiderpeon, Spiderpeon.

it's funny how "Domini" starts with D

And you got told nay.

It's just a faze he was going through.

so what's the problem with having to find Miror B.

> names of an Arabic origin
> power-double explosion attack

Best name origins since Sualocin and Rotanev.

Oh hey Cipher has their own GLaDOS.

Nah, he was a small rodent at most. Not really a mole. Though your idea for the alternate universe version of the story is pretty awesome.

One, then wait, then loads more. Sounds like gym spacing in many games.

Why he only has two of the birbs is a mystic mystery.

I don't recall the song One Vision ending with "bald chicken". Maybe it was doing the Saitama Training?

Yep, Chobin didn't really grou in power.

I'd say something about the Jumpluff but my brain was too busy imagining the screenshot right beside it as Miror B. doing the upside-down moonwalk in midair just because he can.

S

Skarmizard

OK, these two rooms make up the final area. You will note how the cranes here are identical to the ones in the Crane Room of Kaminko Manor. This is because CHOBIN WAS AN ADMIN ALL ALONG. Or at least a mole. He has to be. No other possibility. As further evidence, I submit the fact that you fight him in the postgame in the SAME AREA AS THE OTHER ADMINS.

See now I just want to rewrite this so Chobin was actually Grand Master this whole time, posing as a bumbling assistant to steal Robo Groudon and use its power to turn all of Orre even desertier. The final battle would have you circling him in Robo Kyogre in an epic land and sea battle, snagging Shadow Rayquaza to tip the scales back in your favour.
I love this idea

Also, Rain Dance Jumpluff?

Master Bryss

zd zd
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Their body is made of an intricate and interconnected weave of their own puns.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay, sooooo... I need to save in order to access postgame. Which I can't. So this is actually the last part but screw it, we cleared the story, I can resurrect this and give the Cliffnotes version of the changes once Battle Bingo is a thing-o. For now though, FINALE!

Also woo yay we nearly won an award again, cheers guys, third time's the charm, eh? Alright, party time!
Lergi: That would make the sense, yes.

wedward45: Or iPod connectivity.

Mattman324: Electrode doesn't have Swift Swim, so the former.

FoxMan: Was this 'Fiya Red?' Yeah, that was a special.

Perfect Apple: I guess it depends who you ask. Some of them played sportballs of some sort, so there's that.

Versil: Annano Domini indeed. OH DEAR LORD NO THAT LORD THE OTHER ONE. The location of the third one will shock you like clickbait. I'm just imagining Jumpluff with Miror-style pompoms.

Skarmizard: It's a magical thing.

...I feel I may have chosen my moment poorly. Might I recommend you use some form of modular device?

Anyway, we now have all the snagged things we missed. So, without further ado, the final battles of Citadark Isle.

Yes. You are the man that is not an elf prince. Boo hiss.

Also those lines on your face are really weird. It's like you desperately want, but cannot have, a dapper moustache. Further evidence of your inner elf that. No elf has a moustache. Not a one.

Brb looking up if it's an option in Skyrim's character maker.

If Troy was a bad employee, he'd be sacked. As it sits, he's just an annoying employee. Team of Manectric, Forretress, Kabutops and three Shadows. Two of which have a catch rate of three. Joy.

There is literally no point in me giving you Smash and Burst warnings now because they're everywhere. Heck, Kingdra here carries both. Y'know, for when one stat's just too rubbish.

Things sit... eventually. Put it this way, I started this part with forty Ultra Balls. By the end of this part, I had six. The last six uses of Balls do not count as I figured out how this game's save state/catch interaction works and it's in my favour.

I hated playing through this. It's like doing four Greevils from XD consecutively. Of the sixteen Shadow Pokemon captured in this update, about half had a catch rate of three. I'm almost glad I need to start again to get the true ending just so I can look at a different backdrop.

Look, even his victory pose is elfin. He just looks down at you more.

Beating him nets us access to the last healing machine and PC in this area. Just beyond it lies our final opponent.

Exceeeept he thought of that.

So it's glass wall time for us. Yes, glass. It's never specified how thick. This couldn't be a more insulting roadblock unless he installed a ledge here. This elevator might offer a way past it... but it doesn't work. Game over, time to go home.

Or, alternatively, and please hear me out on this, an admin of Cipher might compromise his master's flawless security in order to beat us, having never done so before, and gain said master's approval. I know right, who'd do that?

Bruce here has all three Regis. Weirdly, only one of them is a Shadow. I suspect this was fixed in later versions.

I suspect this because his other Shadow Pokemon is... questionable.

This is because, and there are no two ways of putting this, it's a dupe. Of one of the STARTERS.

And of course it's the one it doesn't make sense to have a dupe of. That face is my reaction.

We are now able to sneak in here and oh hello random Peon how are you doing have you seen my punctuation anywhere?...,??

What? It was all hiding behind the question mark? Never.

Anyway, Nate here has the other bird because whyever not, I'm sure a Peon can be trusted with a mystical icebirb.

Inside, we learn the name of the other half of the Hairstyle Duo, Des. His face lines are less severe, which means he's the younger and cheaper of the pair. Oh yeah they're brothers, spoiler alert.

Sorry, did I say cheaper? I meant more existential.

Given that his brother had the blue half of the Gen III legends, you can see where this is going to go a mile off.

There is also Flygon and Solarbeam Typhlosion.

Oh, and a genetic abomination hell-bent on exterminating those that wronged it, did I mention that? I imagine Des has some interesting chat with this thing about circumstances of birth and what love is and who can show it to them.

He doesn't seem to mind that we took said abomination off him, thankfully. In fact, he's all too happy for us to go ahead and finish this, which is good for me because you can probably tell my mood from this.

The glass wall also goes down at this stage, allowing us to change our team for the battle ahead. I should explain that Tyrion will have a team of six Shadow Pokemon, so there is method to my madness here.

But before that, a quick musical interlude from Cipher's browser history.

I still have no idea how you steer that thing without it wibbling like an emotionally insecure jelly. I'll swap you.

Anyway, by the might of his ridiculour earlobes, Tyrion summons XG001. He also explains his daft villainous plan but that's neither here nor there since we decided Chobin was the true villain last part.

Oh god, what if he rigged our scooter to explode at one point while we were inside talking to Kaminko and we got stuck in the desert only for Team Miror to find us and there's a massive pastiche of Priscilla Queen of the Desert? I need this now.

TASHAAAAAAA!

OH GEEZ I WONDER IF IT'S A SHADOW POKEMON LET ME CHECK MY SCOOTER. I'M SCOTTISH SO MY SCOOTER IS MY SCOOTER.

Right, let's get serious.

NO HEADBUTTS FOR YOU.

Tyrion here opens with more dupes. This has probably been fixed by now.

This is followed by more dupes, but since Scyther and Scizor are functionally more altmodey than evolutiony at least one of them makes sense.

Finally, we have some originals. Deoxys here has the Attack Mode stats and icon, but the battle sprite is still Normal. Not sure as to why this is. And of course it carries Smash so at least one of those stats goes down the toilet pretty fast. You might have noticed I failed to take any battle screens here. This is because I didn't want you to become sick of the phrase 'not very effective.'

Eventually though...

Your plan is stupid and so are your luminous yellow orb eyes. This is the level we're at now.

Pictured: The difference between Troy and Des in two screens. And yes, they're a family. I'm trying to work out what the mother must have looked like for the genetic average to be elves.

Oh lord, THAT'S WHY THEY WEAR DARK GLASSES THEIR EYES RADIATE WITH THE INTENSITY OF THE SUN.

And on that bombshell... this adventure is over. Good night!

Pokemon XG: NeXt Generation
Started: June 6th, 2016
Finished: August 26th, 2016

Dedicated to StarsMmd. You opened a road. I hope many others follow.
(I say this run is complete but I might yet do Battle Bingo so I dunno. It's complete until further notice.)

A

Appleture Science

Huh. I know when I play Mystery Dungeon Red I can't save except the postgame autosave...
Sportballs? So not 'murican handegg, then.

Cue elves with moustaches.
Aaaand permarain for Swift Swim/Thunder fun. der.
Oh, nice freeze.
Tyrion pls, we have access to our entire team from the PC. Surely something in there can smash glass, like, I don't know, Kyogre.

Regidark confirmed.
STARTER VS DARK STARTER CLIMATIC BATTLE
Mystical... I see what you did there :V
So, something something Chlorophyll etc.

And that escalated quickly. Why didn't Troy have Mew?
Tuu-tuu.
Nope, it's so shadowy it underflowed and now it's angelic.
Oh. Um. That. That exists.

Dun dun dun...

V

Versil

It should be possible to make a shiny Jumpluff have Miror B. style Polandball pompoms, as long as its sprite is not using all colours of its palette. Just duplicate the original white onto an unused slot, change it by 1/255 in either R, G or B, paint half of each pompom with it, then put the red into the same slot for the shiny palette. Apple, about your secret project...

Confirmed. The tune you play on a White Flute is Miror B.'s theme.

Even if it's not an option, I'm sure there is already a mod for that. More important question is, can we have Argonians with moustache?

I dare say catch rate of 3 is more evil than Focus Band and other such tricks employed in hakes more than necessary.

You know what could be worse? Trying to catch something with a catch rate of 3 that is about 30 levels below you and has Take Down despite being freaking randomized. I feel your pain through very recent events

Yes, of course it's trouble, all battles here are doubles.

A glass wall makes more sense here than it would in a game with HMs. Like, hmm, Rock Smash.

Only one body was Regi at the time.

Oh, hi, Misty. With the birb of Team Mistyc.

I wonder if they have a sister named Search.

Nah, it's a hake, there are legendaries just so they could be there

Okay, I admit, I secretly sent out Xatu to overwrite their glass wall-controlling software.

Oh hi old meme. how much do I have to nag for it to be replaced with "the extreme aura is off the charts" to make a Patapon 3 reference instead

Well, of course no headbutts, there is no crevice on his forehead. Or Evice. Who was a butt, so it'd work with him.

They're dupes to demonstrate how OU works.

Deoxys' other modes' sprites do exist in the game, right?

Perhaps gnome genes are recessive.

Nicely done with the run. And nicely done with the hake, Stars. Seconding, hopefully many will follow.

I'll move this to Completed later today. If you want it brought back for more content, you know where to find me.

P

pluslefan

So many dupes in the end. I guess it's hard to keep track of so many shadows once you hit the endgme.

Ah well it's finally finished congrats on catching them all! Too bad you couldn't save and do the post-game :C

V

Versil

[AUTOMATED] This post has been moved to the Completed Runs subsection. Please do not edit the title of this topic.

K

Kiri

Congrats on getting through that crazy gauntlet of shadows, even if it was with save states. Doesn't Miror B. have another shadow at the top of the Gateon lighthouse though?

Z

ZephValgale

Rampant Tragedy said:
Congrats on getting through that crazy gauntlet of shadows, even if it was with save states. Doesn't Miror B. have another shadow at the top of the Gateon lighthouse though?
He does. Problem is, the game hard saves and boots you to title after GreevilTyrion. And due to technical difficulties, Bryss can't hard save this hake. And you need GreevilTyrion's Shadows, too, for Miror B.'s thing.

Anyway, good to see another Bryssrun finish. Now, to wait for the rest of Return. And maybe play this hake myself.

Master Bryss

zd zd
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Wooperfect Apple: Huuuuh, new name. Imagining a hake where the rival somehow gets the shadow of your starter instead of a real Pokemon. I actually kinda want to do this as a plot element now. Maybe he'll have it in this version? I mean, I imagine the hakesmith wants Shadows for all of them.

Versil: That makes a ton of sense. I mean, Baro managed to make a shiny that had a tattoo thing where the original didn't. I feel like Argonians have an equivalent of a moustache but it's been too long since I Skyrimmed even though I really need to play through Dawnguard/Dragonborn. Umm... I don't know. I mean, there appear to be sprites for all the forms in the interface because the game has to handle FR/LG/E, but I think they just use one model. Similarly, when battling against Deoxys in the GBA games, it will always look like Normal Forme regardless of which one it is but the stats will register correctly.

pluslefan: Yeah, but when there are a lot of lines that explicitly weren't used, it begins to look a bit more suspect.

Rampant Tragedy: That would be the postgame I didn't quite reach. Along with a rather daft sidequest and Orre Colosseum.

ZephValgale: You absolutely should. Usually the first hake of something, like, ever, isn't going to be good but this is a rather pointed exception.
Just so you all know, I have started a new save in Version 0.97 (the version I played through was 0.93 for reference). I am currently making my way through Snagem Base again. There are a few notable changes as well as the obvious minor ones. These are:

-The starting Beldum is now shiny as so it is a more accurate mirror of the ORAS one.
-Commander Ray has two Shadow Pokemon, Sneasel and Carvanha. Blaine also now has Pidgeot to go with Gengar in his first battle..
-'Rumba of Love' is now described in-game as 'Shake It Off' by Taylor Swift. It still sounds the same. There is no reason for me to note this other than questioning how far humanity has fallen.
-Mt. Battle begins at 25 and not 30. All the Blaziken and Machamp in Area 1 are now Combusken and Machoke, too. Score one for balance! Although if we're getting technical a Lv25 Machoke is still illegal, buuut I always hated how late it evolves anyway.

Once I've cleared the main game again, I'll maybe do some postgame things or maybe wait for Bingo. Either way, you haven't heard the last of me. Watch this space...

S

StarsMmd

This has been a lot of fun to follow and it's really helped me with making some improvements. I hope everyone enjoyed it! The Pokemon XD hacking community is growing and many talented people are starting to join in. There's even a team out there somewhere working on reverse engineering the 3d models. I still have a lot planned for XG too.

Thanks for playing @Master Bryss and thanks for inviting me round ??

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.

Master Bryss

zd zd
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Steel
Pokédex Entry
HA. HA. HA.

XG001+1: Let's Try This Again...

Welcome to Pokemon XG Beta 1.2.1-3. It's got a shiny new title screen! It comes with really detailed readmes giving me Shadow lists and everything! There are SEVENTY-FIVE wild Pokemon now in addition to the 100+ Shadows. That's... 25 per Poke Spot. I'm not getting all of those. But they're there!

As I'm just appending this to the original XG playthrough I did four years ago, there will be even fewer plot screens in this one. I'll add some in where things have changed from the last version I played (and there's a few of these).

I'm playing it in parallel to Escape playing vanilla XD for the first time. Their PC is named Chef, with a food naming scheme. This is a substantial change from their Colosseum playthrough where it was Skyrim characters instead and the PC was popular mod character Inigo, running around with Lydia doing a Snag. This means I've taken a similar name, but with a classic Orresian twist.

The introductory SIM battle is broadly the same, although Multiscale Dragonite and Regenerator Slowking are in my team too. That might have been there last time and I didn't notice, but it's good to note!

The biggest aesthetic change is seen here: the real names are back! Sort of. Any character who has a speaking role in the plot seems to have their 'regular' name back thus far (always assume I've only played as far as where the part ends though).

Mechanically, Beldum is gone, replaced with a fairly bog-standard Zigzagoon. It's getting binned as soon as, and given that the first battle is still coded as singles, I really don't get the point of it being here.

I mean... at least it can Helping Hand my Adaptability Hyper Voice?

Heading to the Kaminko(!) manor, Chobin (who actually got his name changed back in an earlier beta) now uses Magnemite to make it clear that yes, Dark is now neutral to Steel, with Eevee's moveset practically screaming 'yes, yes, do that thing.'

Magical stuff this hakery, innit.

With Jovi back in tow, fast forward to...

Agent Sleeps! No, sorry, Operative Rests! Aargh, wrong again!

Ralts has been replaced with a different early Hoennmon, Taillow!

Shadow Moves got overhauled again, so we have new ones to contend with. This one is like Shadow Creep from the last beta.

THANK ANNAN, ARDOS ISN'T CALLED TROY ANYMORE! Now I can't make a joke about Eldes being called Greece...

Here is a vanilla Trainer (the once-proud Navigator Berk) to show that normies still have normal names. This also allows me to show off something that, if it was in the previous beta, I totally forgot about.

When a Shadow Pokemon uses a Shadow move, the aura flares up before the animation happens. This doesn't happen in vanilla XD, and it still happens if the move used misses. It's been a few years since my last dance with XG so this may not be new, but it's noteable all the same.

Something that is different: the hakesmith worked out re-usable TMs! I trialled this on Zigzagoon to make sure, so it's actually Light Screen Zigzagoon we'll be giving up.

All of the Eeveelutions now boast Hidden or new Abilities. Filter Umbreon definitely ain't canon...

This time I'm going to pick Flareon for a change, physical Fire moves being a Thing in its moveset culminating in Flare Blitz and Swords Dance. Also because Escape took Vaporeon in vanilla.

I could even run it with a Poison teammate and Choice Scarf if the hacker got Scarf in...

This time, the Shadow Pokemon in Gateon Port are Marill and Poochyena. Marill begins with Shadow Slam, a 60/90 move that may cause a flinch. 90 accuracy Shadow moves seem to be the du jour of the early game, but coming off of Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth: Complete Edition this is water off a Duckmon's back to me.

Oh, Reverse/Hyper Mode is now Rage Mode. No mechanical changes.

Modest... Huge Power... Marill. Escape laughed for ten straight minutes.

TM52 is in the Lighthouse now. In Doubles though?

Bodybuilder Karen's manager-seeking attack dog comes with Shadow Fang, a 60/90 move that sometimes lowers the enemy's Attack for... some reason.

By this time, Taillow's full set has been revealed and... it's awfully vanilla, isn't it? I get this is early game, but...

(Boomburst Swellow's in, be afraid.)

Rattled? Doesn't that become... oh yes. Yes it does. You're staying in the team. Crunch at 25 and Play Rough at 41 are the highlights of level moves.

We're blitzing through this, aren't we? I'll stop when everyone's got names.

More good times are had in the secret cave. Speaking of tutor moves...

Again, these are multi-use. I forget what she had in the last beta, but I think this is everything and honestly it'll do.

Fireball. Lager's boxed at this point.

You also get one vanilla Berry.

Okay, so it's not every speaking role character who got their real name back. Sorry, Beluh.

*cries in Modest on way to Relic Stone*

The Trainer Pokemon here are as in vanilla, but...

Spiky Shield Cactuar is real danger.

I like three letter sounds.

The pooch at least gets something cool for Snag assistance, unlike our bird friend.

One surprisingly difficult Pika-punch-up later, we've got the ability to purify the whole gang! So meet...

Martini the probably not endgame...

Cola the 'you see cola is Spanish for fang, and it's also a drink that Poochyena's the colour of and SERIOUSLY PSYCHIC FANGS?' It's a miracle Mightyena didn't get Strong Jaw for this game given that Poison Fang will come later...

...And the joke we all saw coming when I ran out of Coke.

Next time it's off to Mt. Battle and then presumably onto the Lovrina fight. Although, after reading most of what's up of The Dark We Carry, I'm terrified for that.

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is okay, actually
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
Oh, cool, you’re going back through this! It’s really neat to see a hack of a side Pokémon game like this, and the changes from the last time certainly seem to have made the early game less “hilariously stacked in your favor”. I hope you’re having fun with the modest Marill!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Anything that brings about a new Bryss commentary run is a plus in my book.

Cirr

I'm a bot! (maybe)
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
beep/boop
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Fails Captchas with regularity
once more, with feeling?

good luck on this (re-)run!

Master Bryss

zd zd
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Replies
@TheTRUEgge: It's not lasting long, I assure you. The worst bit is, I got a SECOND one in a certain other game I was playing last week... unless Escape got it. One of us got another one.

@Trollkitten: I'm excited to be playing a newer build of this! I never got much into Drayano-style 'upgrade' hacks but I'll make an exception for my second-favourite Pokemon game of all time and Best Gen III Game. There, I said it. Someone please get Genius Sonority out of their puzzle cafe to make a third one.

@Cirr: Early signs are good! I got this!
XG001+2: #ShesBack

If only there was a train here. Then, you could train on a training train!

This time, the TM for Power-Up Punch is outside Mt. Battle. In a move I can only describe as 'inevitable,' the only member of the current team that can learn it is Pepsi the Marill. The sooner I get to those d'Annaned Hexagons, the better.

Just like before, each area of Mt. Battle is type-themed. Much less Protect than last time, which is a plus.

Couple of useful bits out of this, although Flame Wheel won't last long.

This is a thing of beauty. Something else to supplement the strat will come along later.

This Misdreavus knows Feint AND Shadow Sneak. We get it. You're fast.

This isn't even from full health to that level of yellow. That's just how Modest we are.

Anyway, usual gubbins, Mt. Battle is now open for challenge and we'll start that after the Lab so I can use that sweet sweet 'the Move Relearner is 5 coupons a move' deal that was present in the last beta I played.

Once again, it's time for Go Go Cipher Rangers!

...Rangers. Definitely consistently Rangers.

They've been redubbed to their standard sentai designators rather than the names they had before, which is an improvement.

All but one of them have the same Shadow Pokemon they had last time round, so three Hoenn starters with their Mega ability are first.

RED WUNZ GO FASTA. NO ECKSEPSHUNS.

Jolly Speed Boost Torchic... but we picked Flareon... but... what do? WHAT DO?

The TM for U-Turn is in the warehouse, and guess who learns it? Flareon, as it turns out. Huh.

The Aura Filter is a new item, and it's pretty useful. I'm assuming that when used by a Shadow it'll half again.

Rangerly love won't save this Treecko from a good Snagging!

Shadow Whip is based on Frenzy Plant's animation, and is therefore good by default.

Well, I mean, it's eeeevil, but...

Shadow Slam is Mudkip's starting move. It's marginally better than real Slam!

Brown is the only Ranger with a new Shadow, although Phanpy was in Gateon Port in the last playthrough. Wonder if it still grabs Ice Shard.

Electrike here comes with Intimidate! The non-starter Shadows also come at the higher level of 22. Oh, and this one's Modest. I think it's a keeper. I'm going with a team theme of quadrupeds until further notice.

Sheer Force Bagon here is our first Snag with two Shadow moves: Fang and new one Shadow Tease, which works like Taunt on both foes.

Now to the lab proper. I'll be using Whisky and Cola most of the time to get them up to snuff for the Shadows to come.

And also because Moxie is neat.

Subbing Flame Wheel out. If the lower accuracy bites me back more times than I want I can always change it back.

Shadow Pikachu, here at a lower level presumably to compensate for its held Light Ball, comes with Shadow Volt (70/90 may paralyse) as you'd expect.

Just like before, we're starting to regain quality moves on our Smogon Shadows, although not on all of them. You'll see in a bit.

As with other main characters, Lovrina's name is #Reinstated #Ifthislooksweirdtoyouyouclearlydidntreadthefirstplaythrough.

All this running about gets us Water Pulse on Mudkip and... not even Flame Charge? For shame.

I think this is our first 'extra' Shadow that's been added. Two of the Cipher R&D now have a Shadow. This one who stands where Ein did in Colosseum has a Beedrill that... hold on I'll catch it then show you.

It has a Shadow Protect, but that's not it.

No, it's the fact that we have a legit Mega Beedrill with Levitate. If it didn't have all of TEN points in Defence, it'd be our Jeigan.

ESPECIALLY since its Shadow move outclasses anything we've seen thus far.

This Peon still has Shadow Meditite, which isn't anything special aside from having Shadow Fake Out.

There are a few #Differences in Lovrina's #QualityDialogue here, like #Lit instead of #Fabulous.

Also an #ExtraDank.

Regardless of how many hashtags there are though, Krane still speaks the #Truth.

This Shadow is also unaltered. Shroo.

Shadow Snooze is the start of a new wave of Shadow status moves. It may look like Yawn but the effect is immediate.

The Peons do have decent moves by the way, by virtue of level-up sets actually having good stuff, so it's not a total landslide in favour of Team Protagonist.

TM42 is Flame Charge! Cola can use this as a cherry tap to nab two stat boosts at once which will do until Choice Scarf comes around.

This was a Murkrow before. It's still a user of Shadow Sky though.

By now, we've got our Smogon fourth move on Treecko, who's been subbed in a few times either when Cola has fainted or when I needed to fix the EXP gap between the two.

The Murkrow didn't move far. It's now the second 'bonus' Shadow in Cipher Lab.

I can't remember if it was a thing last time, but the Shadow Sky damage animation has been cut for speed. Murkrow is our first Shadow to have three Shadow moves: Fear, Sky, and Spirit, which is a 55/100 draining attack. Wait, 100? Do my eyes deceive me? Top tier stuff.

One odd note; Murkrow's Shadow Fear did not affect Cola. I don't know why this might be, unless it checks for same type or something and uses Murkrow's type instead of the 'Shadow' type.

Small break to purify Treecko and add Electrike to our roster.

Our third and final 'bonus' Shadow is Naps' Misdreavus! Lovrina clearly did forgive him for losing the Taillow in this continuity.

Shadow Scream is Snarl, except better!

Naps actually pulls out some quality opposition before the end, but it's not enough. On to the #Lovrina battle!

I'd use this on Whisky if the Aura Filter wasn't so clutch.

#Moregotadded.

#Everyadditionisanimprovement.

I miss #WorkHardCrushHarder but this is also good.

So! Lovrina!

Like before, she's rocking her all-Fairy team of nicknamed Pokemon. This is #BadNews for Cola, but Whisky's all good for this and will even punch through that Huge Power Mawile before it can do real damage with its Helping Hand teammate.

Mostly.

All of her Pokemon have a held Berry, either an SE-reducing one or Sitrus.

Hyper Voice actually got a double KO after Fire Fang brought Kiss into red. It was great.

Bae is now a shiny Kirlia because Lovrina's so #Extra.

Just like last time, she's got a Level 25+ Shadow Clefairy with four Shadow moves. New ones we've not seen yet are Shadow Bully (Seismic Toss) and Shadow Terrain, a Terrain that reduces the power of non-Shadow moves.

Sticking to physical, just as The Marill Formerly Known As Waffle comes out to play.

This is clearly not a Magic Guard Clefairy. Pass.

We get an SD Card instead of a Data Rom because it's #2020. Unless this build came out in 2019. Unclear.

With Lovrina defeated, the process of purification gets a whole lot quicker, and we can focus more on team crafting.

Unlike last time, I won't be doing big rundowns of movesets except for team members, because XG's companion documents are now pretty comprehensive. Now everyone can easily build their Smogon-crushing Mt. Battle team!

And on that note, we'll end it for this session. I'm pretty much caught up to Escape's vanilla playthrough. Mt. Battle and Pyrite Town next time!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
I'm excited to be playing a newer build of this! I never got much into Drayano-style 'upgrade' hacks but I'll make an exception for my second-favourite Pokemon game of all time and Best Gen III Game. There, I said it. Someone please get Genius Sonority out of their puzzle cafe to make a third one.
I agree; Pokemon Cafe Mix was absolutely gorgeous, but the gameplay got boring after five minutes. Literally five minutes. Yes, I kept track. Don't judge me.
If only there was a train here. Then, you could train on a training train!
You mean like some sort of... battle subway? (Orre and Unova are both based on places in the United States...)
I'm going with a team theme of quadrupeds until further notice.
Quad Squad unite!
No, it's the fact that we have a legit Mega Beedrill with Levitate. If it didn't have all of TEN points in Defence, it'd be our Jeigan.
No Adaptability?

So! Lovrina!
She's frickin' terrifying. That face, those eyes, the weird pipe limbs that bend so unnaturally... even the hair makes me think she's a reincarnation of Mr. Mime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)