Pokemon Sword and Shield Critique [Mature Language] [SPOILERS]

Thread Description
A highly negative, bitter look at Generation 8. Spoilers abound, so do be cautious.

Fool

Coach of the Machampions (Also goes by Bob)
🎇Contributor
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
Call me whatever you want.
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Rock
Pokédex Entry
Used to work at Walmart. Is happy to no longer be employed there. Likes to play Terraria.
I'm going to be making an audio series that gives my criticism on SwSh based on sessions of notes I have taken. This will be a spoiler heavy, highly critical series, that will most likely have a very negative tone throughout. If you do not like cursing, yelling, or someone getting very emotional, I would recommend that you do not watch this series at all. This is for both my personal entertainment and just to keep it logged somewhere.

DestinyDragonGS

I gave this guy a Santa hat. I think he likes it.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is very relaxed and enjoys analyzing things. This Pokemon is also quick to snark at anything that gives it an opportunity
If I had to make a recommendation it would be that you wait a couple days before recording your thoughts on a gameplay session. it will give you time to process your thoughts and will allow you to judge more more rationally rather then caving into your emotions. In this case rage.

I actually haven't played the game as I have't felt up to playing pokemon recently.

Normally I don't give much of a shit about graphics but I do have to make an exception in this case as they used them as a scapegoat. I used to be fine with Dynamax (didn't really give it much thought) but then I saw some gameplay footage and realized wow this is really lame.

One thing I've very curious about is your thoughts on a certain endgame boss that I absolutely despise.

I'm been meaning to say this for a while. I know how you feel. I went through something very similar with BlazBlue Central Fiction (been pissed at that game since the moment I learned of it's existence and still am to this day here's proof: https://nuzlockeforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/post-a-question-for-the-next-user-to-answer.18931/page-2#post-784501 and that was me holding back hard. like 25% of my frustration tops). But don't worry it gets better. You'll mellow out after a while.

One thing I also recommend doing is at the very end of this series is pretending either that SWSH is the only pokemon game in existence or if it was your first pokemon game ever. Just to see how your rating changes. I've done that with CF and when I put my biases aside it's not all that bad. I'd say it's an okay game. just a terrible BlazBlue game. honestly I wouldn't be surprised if SWSH are the same way.

Fool

🎇Contributor
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Rock
Pokédex Entry
Used to work at Walmart. Is happy to no longer be employed there. Likes to play Terraria.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now for Session Two of the SwSh Critique Audio Series. This time I cover some final tidbits from the first Wild Area as well as Motostoke City and Team Yell's first appearance. @DestinyDragonGS The reply to your comment is in the video, its the very first thing I cover, just figured I'd let you know.

Fool

🎇Contributor
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Rock
Pokédex Entry

DestinyDragonGS

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is very relaxed and enjoys analyzing things. This Pokemon is also quick to snark at anything that gives it an opportunity
Didn't mean to seem like I was telling you how to do your job. It's your series run it however you want. Just thought it was worth bringing up in case you were trying to be more balanced.

The only reason I brought CF up was to say I've been there (yeah it's Blaze-Blue. not sure what's up with the spelling. Might have something to do with the JP pronunciation). Also I'm praying that the aftermath of SWSH isn't anywhere near as bad as how CF left the fanbase.

I will admit part of the mellowing out comment might just be me as I've gotten more laid back over time especially in the last year.

I really hope Team Yell drops out of relevance quickly. Because I can tell the joke's not funny and they won't be able to make it funny and this is from someone who believes any kind of joke can be funny if done right (and has been proven right on this countless times)

There are a couple game I want to compare SWSH to. But I'm going to wait and see how this plays out.

Fool

🎇Contributor
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Rock
Pokédex Entry
Hello! It's been a bit. Here's the third session of the SwSh Critique series. I finally made it to Gym One and had my first Rival Encounter with Bede! @DestinyDragonGS The reply to your comment is again at the very beginning of the video, figured I'd let you know again.

DestinyDragonGS

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Honestly the fanbase was sort of okay after cf happened and everything calmed down. Then the special edition port came out and fixed nothing causing everything to go to shit again Everything's pretty chill for the most part. At least from what I've heard from someone I've been talking to who's trying to get into the series (I've been avoiding the community ever since CF happened. came back briefly when the next game that fixed some of CF's issues came out and then booked it again once CF special edition came out). Just don't ever mention it outside of saying that you're glad that some of the cut features came back in the next game if you don't want to start a massive fight. SWSH will probably be the same way. Also the whole CF mess was pretty interesting in that only the people who were being pricks were the people defending the game. This resulted in one of my favorite comments of all time which stated that the people who were complaining about the game are all toxic and the comment section this was written on was proof. Here's why this is funny. Every person complaining about the game in the section was extremely polite about it and many of them explained their reasoning pretty clearly and didn't fall back on "I have nothing so shut the fuck up" arguments. While Ironically enough the people who were defending the game in the section were being colossal assholes even to the point of gate keeping. True story.

I apologize that was pretty far off track. I could probably do a similar series about that game, but that's probably not happening as A.That would require me to explain three games worth of context before diving into the game itself and B. I would have to replay it which I really don't want to do. Also no one would even watch it which would make me wonder why I even bothered considering I've bitched about this game enough to last a life time I'll stop mentioning that mess now as I was just using it to draw parallels and it is making me go off track.

It's simple your fishing rod has the power to open up a pocket dimension where you may fight the encounter with no worries of the target escaping. That also apparently works on Hop for some reason. I'm not the biggest fan of Hop personally. As he reminds me a lot of Hau. I mentioned this a while back on discord. A big part of why I don't like Hau is he's not really a threat for the most part. the vast majority of the time he showed up I rolled my eyes I beat him in 3 seconds and wondered why I even bothered. I will admit a lot of this comes from me just liking harder games

Honestly the best part of Kanto is the glitches. Fun fact! Someone managed to wrong warp to the end of Super Mario Land 2 using Pokemon Red. No joke they did a bunch of stuff in red then swapped the game carts and then they got warped to the credits of Mario Land

I will admit some of the comparisons to other games apply to the Pokemon series as a whole and not just SWSH. So watch out for that when I bring them up.

I should have mentioned this earlier but I was never actually bothered by the Gen 6 EXP share. Even now I just see it similar to the Prevasion system from the Gunvolt games. An easy mode that allows people who have no idea what they're doing be able to function. keyword function. Yes it does make things a lot easier but it doesn't auto win you the game. However they are extremely easy to break with a bit of know how. But to compensate both of those systems can be turned off. SWSH how did you fuck this up? If you are going to put in a new player system MAKE SURE YOU CAN TURN IT OFF! or at the very least do what the Gunvolt games do and punish you for relying on it with stuff that disables it. I'll get more into this next time.

I'll need to read a couple screenshot runs before I can say my final opinion on the characters so far. Not a big fan of Leon so far though.

Eevee has had it's anime voice since Let's Go from what I've seen.

I have a theory about the void backgrounds. The regular void backgrounds are specifically for Team Yell fights. I'm basing this off of the gym trainers having an edited version of said void. Are they good now? Well I don't really care that much mostly because I have little interest in the game. But definitely no for you. Watch as this falls apart instantly

I actually like the Gym puzzle. Nice little throw back to the leader's background. With the whole herding sheep thing.

Still not a fan of Dynamaxing. It just looks really off anytime it's not a Dynamax vs Dynamax. Although a normal sized Pokemon taking out a Dynamax Pokemon is always funny to watch.

I understand where your friend's coming from. But that argument falls flat when applied to a series that has done much better in the past in those areas.

Game Freak: We need to prevent the player from destroying the game by catching an early Hydragon!

Me: Honestly if they somehow survive the encounter in one piece they've earned it.

Don't worry about sounding too cynical. I'm 5 times worse.

You definitely pointed out another difference between us. As every so often I give the things I don't like a chance to change my mind. Sometimes it's like CF where I've just come to hate it more and more (I just do a much better job controlling that rage and do my best to find the good things about it) and then there's stuff like the secret boss theme of BlazBlue Calamity Trigger "Black Onslaught" which I originally hated for being the single most edgy song I have ever heard. Now I love it for being one of the single most hilariously edgy songs I've ever heard.

I should probably start making these shorter. But for some reason I like making my replies on the forum essays. Don't ask me why.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)