• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Pokemon Opinions That Have Changed

Thread Description
Life Changes and so do Opinions

SimplyUnknown

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
We have popular opinions about the Pokemon series and unpopular opinions. But those opinions don't always stay the same as we grow older. A pokemon that we once really hated could become one that you love, especially if they pull their weight during a difficult nuzlocke battle. Some games have reoccurring characters that give better impressions in those games that improve the opinion of them in their original games, especially in remakes. So I'm curious about what Pokemon opinions have been your biggest changes as the series grows older.

I'll start off with one of my biggest, and maybe a controversial, opinion changes. I originally really liked and respected Professor Oak in his multiple appearances in the series. But now I really dislike him because I think he's a bad grandfather. Looking back over a lot of his actions as an adult makes the stuff I glossed over as a kid look really bad when it comes to your rival in Kanto (I'll call him Blue to make it easier). Yes, Blue is a jerk to you in the games, but he's also a ten-year-old who is apparently really talented as a trainer and beaten only by you. I was a jerk as a ten-year-old. I bet a lot of people were. I grew out of it, and so did Blue from his various cameos in the series. But it doesn't make Oak's actions any better.

There was the 'forgetting his grandson's name' in the beginning, which according to Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, is apparently a joke that he likes to pull rather than actual forgetfulness. One that apparently nobody finds funny. It's played off in the Let's Go series, but that really doesn't come across in the originals and remakes. He rarely if ever mentions Daisy from what I can recall. And of course there is the famous scene at the end of the game after you beat Blue for the last time, where he congratulates you and scolds Blue for how he's treated his team.

Looking back on it years later, Blue's never really come across as cruel to his Pokemon. He's nothing like Silver, who would come along a generation later, or Paul from the Sinnoh years of the anime. It feels a lot like a random excuse thrown out to make the player feel better. He didn't even bother to congratulate Blue on his victory before us. He was still the champion even if it was a really short reign. That's something it feels like he should be proud of. No wonder Blue runs off during the remakes.

In short, my biggest opinion change throughout the series is my views of Professor Oak as a character. What are some of yours?

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Really cool idea for a thread. I can think of many opinions that I had which changes over the years (or even over a short period of time) but I'll start here with a couple that I used to hold since childhood and have changed thanks to my adult pokemon playing experience.

The more evolutions, the better! - As a kid one of the main things that the pokemon I liked had in common were that they had 3 pokemon in their evolutionary line, and I also usually disliked pokemon without evolutions. It wasn't true for every pokemon (I really liked Scyther and wasn't a fan of Beedrill for example), but generally the formula worked. It took me quite a while to realize how many great pokemon without evolutions I was missing out on (even though some of them got evolutions in future generations), and even though I'm still a fan of the idea that pokemon evolution is a great part of the appeal of the franchise, I get why the creators don't always use it in the same way and on every pokemon.

Inanimate item pokemon are less interesting - There are many people who straight up hate inanimate item pokemons, and while I was never one of those, I just couldn't relate to most of these pokemon. As a child I used to think pokemon are either one of two things - monsters or animals. When 10 years old me drew pokemon, 90% of them were just an animal that was given an extra elemental power (I predicted Torchic for example :) ), as I thought these were way cooler. As I grew up I realized how deep and interesting the origins of most of the pokemon are, be it Yokai based or inspired by other myths/legends/modern concepts, and learned to love the exact type of pokemon I used to dislike, and vice versa seeing some of the more basic "Animal+Element" pokemon as less appealing and more plain.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
Inanimate item pokemon are less interesting - There are many people who straight up hate inanimate item pokemons, and while I was never one of those, I just couldn't relate to most of these pokemon. As a child I used to think pokemon are either one of two things - monsters or animals. When 10 years old me drew pokemon, 90% of them were just an animal that was given an extra elemental power (I predicted Torchic for example :) ), as I thought these were way cooler. As I grew up I realized how deep and interesting the origins of most of the pokemon are, be it Yokai based or inspired by other myths/legends/modern concepts, and learned to love the exact type of pokemon I used to dislike, and vice versa seeing some of the more basic "Animal+Element" pokemon as less appealing and more plain.
Hard agree, except I liked some objectmons already to begin with, including Vanilluxe, which went from being liked ironically to genuinely loving as a Pokemon.

Several Pokemon used to be my favourites of all time, but now they're only favourites from their generations. Generation 5 was really responsible for giving me a lot of new favourite Pokemon. I don't understand people who say most of gen 5's Pokemon suck when you have shit like Archeops, Scolipede, Gigalith, Eelektross and more all in the same generation. - plus a lot of awesome Pokemon that happen to not be my favourites like Lilligant, Volcarona, Bisharp, Haxorus, Excadrill, Mienshao hot damn this is a great dex.

Umbreon is still one of my all time favourites, but Eeveelutions in general are becoming old hat. The fact Eevee is now basically a Pikachu level mascot does not help, I'm getting pretty bored of it.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I used to not care at all about 'Kanto shilling,' on account that I was just happy we were getting new Pokemon content at all. Then Gen 8 happened, and Gigantamaxing was a thing, and all the Gigantamax forms but two were either Gen 1 or Gen 8.

And I was like... "Yeah. This is definitely uneven."

I do find it darkly humorous that one of those two was, of all things, Garbodor. Now, I actually LIKE Garbodor (maybe because its expression and general shape makes me think of Totoro, whom I have fond childhood memories of), but if they had to choose only two Pokemon that weren't from two specific gens to get G-Max forms, why the hell Garbodor?

Epsilon

Queen of Birds
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Docile
Pokémon Type
???
I used to be meh on SuMo's plot (though I've always loved Alola as a region) but I've since come to appreciate it more. Pokemon's never about the story, sure, but they were at least trying, which I've discovered I prefer to them not really trying at all. And hey, how can you dislike anything that involves Team Skull?

Also, a silly, not serious opinion change - I used to think Leon was hot like everyone else and still do tbh but I also now think he's overhyped and kinda bland. Doesn't help that he's Kanto Shilling: The Character. Yeah he's got a nice ass but where my Gordie stans at

I do find it darkly humorous that one of those two was, of all things, Garbodor. Now, I actually LIKE Garbodor (maybe because its expression and general shape makes me think of Totoro, whom I have fond childhood memories of), but if they had to choose only two Pokemon that weren't from two specific gens to get G-Max forms, why the hell Garbodor?

(not drawn by me)

Last edited:

io_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
^^ okay I love that Garbodor drawing, it is adorable xD

So when I was younger - like 12, 13 - I disliked a lot of the cutesy Pokemon like Clefairy and Jigglypuff. But now I really like them! I just have a soft spot for them and want to give them hugs. I've even softened up to Pikachu despite it being, imo, pretty overrated even still

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
And hey, how can you dislike anything that involves Team Skull?
Precisely.

Love the drawing, by the way. It's definitely adorable.

Reactions: io_

Vexelbun

Robo-bun of Friendship
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
any
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Steel
Pokédex Entry
It Just Works
I used to looooooathe the DPPl games prior to actually playing them for the first time a couple years back. I greatly disliked a lot of the evolutions of older generation Pokémon, I heard nothing but bad things regarding the region design from other fans and assumed I would feel the same, and in general I had a sore spot for it overshadowing RSE (which were my favorite games for well over a decade until Sun & Moon‘s release).

I don’t feel that way at all now.

While I’m still not super keen on the evolution designs, I can tolerate them at least, and the native Sinnoh Pokémon designs are fun and creative. I find Sinnoh as a region to be really charming, despite the valid criticisms (the music definitely helped. That region has probably my favorite collection of route music out of all the main games). RSE also saw a big resurgence in popularity thanks to Pokémon: Hard Mode and ORAS, so my silly grudge against DPPl’s popularity has gone. (It definitely helps that I’ve mellowed out about media I enjoy as a whole, so there ya go. :p)

Krisantyne

oh no
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 10, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon clings to Sharpedo and shares in its prosperity. When its Sharpedo is attacked, Krisantyne will fight alongside it!
I held a grudge against Pikachu for a long time.
You could teach your Pikachu Surf and unlock a Surfing mini game in Yellow version by winning a certain Cup in Pokémon Stadium while having Pikachu in your team for every battle. So basically, you had to win a lot of very difficult battles 2 vs 3, since Pikachu couldn't contribute.
Until then, I didn't know that Pikachu was too weak to play with the big boys! It was portrayed as super strong in the anime, and it also did just fine in Yellow. (In hindsight, that was due to being overleveled and even the strongest opponents not really having good movesets, of course.) So since Pikachu got oneshot in every battle and the other two Pokémon just didn't quite cut it near the end of the tournament, I never managed to unlock that mini game and wasted a lot of time trying. Pikachu really let 9-year-old me down there. 😔

Today, I really like Pikachu again. It's yellow and adorable, and especially the older very round design is just.....good.
It's not Pikachu's fault that it keeps getting hyped up to something bigger than it is. And everyone has internet at home (and even in their pocket), so you can look up which Pokémon are good in that Pokémon Stadium Cup and which of the only-once-in-the-entire-game TMs should be saved for them. :V

Riboo

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric
I used to enjoy the hell out of the anime, keep in mind this was when it first aired and I was growing up along side it. I thought the characters Ash met were always interesting and hoped that he would meet them again like they always said they would XD;; but as time went by and the anime got a little bit less about Ash developing as a character so much as what the plot needed him to be in whatever respective episode, I just found myself losing interest in it and falling more into the games and the Pokespecial manga, which had a little bit more going on with it.

So yeah, the Anime went from >:D AW YE, GOTTA WATCH IT ALL THE TIME EVERY DAY TO.... meh.

The only recent eps I watched were the ones with Guzma showing up, after that, I tuned right back out. Though to be fair to the Anime, I heard Alola was a really good arc, but I don't think I can convince myself to sit down and watch the whole thing outside of moments with Team Skull, although I heard about the heartbreaking stuff with Litten and the Anime regained a bit of that respect it had lost from me.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
Ninetales used to be my favorite Pokemon. It's second place now to Arcanine. Probably took so long since I keep somehow ending up with the games that had Vulpix instead of Growlithe in it.

Like many, Charizard used to be among my favorite Pokemon, but has steadily declined. It started before the Charizard pandering became really obvious and obnoxious, but that really didn't help either. It's still my favorite Kanto starter since I tend to pick favorites based on design first. But, if we talk purely mechanically? Blastoise is way more solid and reliable outside of Mega-Evolutions.

More on favorites, I've used to overlook a lot of Gen III Pokemon. Maybe because, IMO, a lot of R/S/E's sprites aren't the best. I've taken a much better liking to some of them these days, but maybe most noticeable is probably Absol. Kinda forgotten and ignored previously. And then Mega-Absol debuted to the world. That form took Absol from forgotten to among my favorites in an instant.

Same vein, I used to not care for the Johto Legendary Beasts just because their old sprites were pretty bad. I mean, what is going on with Raikou's head in those? But, those too have shot up a good deal because of improved in-game designs. Entei still lags behind, but Suicune and Raikou definitely fight for top tier spots on my favorites.

Okay, not favorites, but most Pika clones I tend to dismiss and shrug off. Little cute gimmicks that nobody really cares much about and are pretty much all weak. I mostly still hold that opinion. But, these days, Emolga gets a pass and even commands a certain level respect after I used it in a Nuzlocke were it was actually pretty badass. Even took on Elesa practically by itself!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)