• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Video Games Pokemon NPC Hype/Complaints Thread

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I agree that the anime did Gladion a real solid.

On the topic of jerk rivals, I'm not really a big fan of them, although that's more because most of the ones we've had (gens 1-2) haven't really grabbed me as characters. And part of that was because in the early gens, storyline wasn't really as big a deal as it was in later gens. Given my love for Gladion, I'm pretty sure that another well-written jerk rival would grab my attention.

Ultimately it's not the attitude of the rival that makes them memorable to me, it's their characterization. A great number of rival characters in the Pokemon games aren't really characters, and that makes them forgettable. My top 'rivals' are Gladion and N, not necessarily in that order. Both of them undergo character development throughout their games' stories and, while initially antagonistic, are more than just one-dimensional 'villain' characters.

Wally gets an honorable mention. He's a great kid, and he has some serious character development, but he should have had more appearances in ORAS. Heck, I might have enjoyed the game better if May/Brendan had been cut out entirely and we just had more Wally. Which of course was never going to happen, but it's a nice thought.

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
As much as I don't appreciate your Hau slander in my abode! That's pretty much what the anime did. Made Gladion the main rival and gave him more development. A lot of people have said they wished Gladion went to help with Lusamine in Ultra Space with Lillie and protag, which the anime does. I also wished he interacted with Lillie more in the games, which he does in the anime. Basically what I'm saying is the anime does Gladion better than the games U:
Man, the anime just knew what was up. u.u If only!

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
Hau is one of the most annoying rivals, and I wish either most of his empty dialogue/malasada blathering would have been cut in favor of further fleshing out someone like Gladion who's actually useful, or he at least had a character arc like Lillie (and admittedly I wish she would show up a little less often).

Silver is awful, and the abrupt heel-face turn just doesn't work for me. Maybe if it had started earlier, I could believe it.

Barry is an annoying moron and I get so sick of the constant literal running into you/obnoxious jittery act.

Looker is garbage and I'm so sick of him reappearing in every new gen.

And so far Hop is giving me Hau vibes, but I've heard he has an interesting character arc, so I'll wait on giving an opinion on him (I'm only at the first gym).

Also agreeing that the XY "rivals" are trash.

On the positive side, Bianca is one of my favorite characters and her growth arc is so satisfying, Wally's growth makes me happy although I wish he appeared a little more often (an extra fight or two where you see him/his team grow would have been amazing), and I'll be unpopular and note that I like Hugh more than most people. And aside from Hau, the SM cast is generally solid.

Dschubba

Has forgotten she's a diurnal creature.
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Female
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
Hot take: Lusamine's snapshot "Okay, she's redeemable, cos she said one nice thing!" in Sun/Moon and...even more so in USUM still feels like an ugly skidmark on an otherwise pretty solid plot for a pokémon game. Just undercuts an otherwise pretty good an manipulative villain and really? I'm usually a very peaceful person, but I want to throw a hardcover copy of Matilda at whoever thought she had to be redeemed because mummy and familyyy.

Ahem, that was a lot of bile. On a more positive note, as I look at some general rival discussion on here, I gotta say I always had a soft spot for Hugh. I know a lot of people find his whole schtick annoying, but I did enjoy his motivation being for the sake of his little sister rather than the usual rival fare. Besides, that battle theme's a banger.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
I just remembered my least favorite NPC of all time: Jovi from Gale of Darkness. I fucking hate that obnoxious little brat.
She treats you like absolute garbage when not only are you way more capable than she could ever be, you're also the one with a Pokémon, and you end up bailing her dumb ass out of trouble more than once.
As much as I love GoD, it's hard for me to want to replay it because I can't stand that little bitch and she's practically glued to you at the beginning of the game. Luckily after the first couple hours, you don't have to deal with her anymore.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
Maybe I'm misremembering all the dialogue and stuff, but... Cheren is meh. He wants to be the strongest Pokemon trainer. Around the middle of the game, he is force to ask himself why does he want to be strong. His inevitable answer? "I have to be stronger for my Pokemon!" Uhhh, dude, no, that's not how that works. "Being a stronger Pokemon trainer for your Pokemon" is like saying "I have t be a better writer for my writing" or "I have to be a better meat cutter for my meat." You're still pursuing strength for no clear reason, even if it sounds good on paper.

Meanwhile, most of the cast of Sword and Shield are pretty great. Not everyone is, such as Swordward/Shieldward or the gen-exclusive gym leaders, but a lot of them are pretty great. I just wish they had a better plot to support them. Pierres and Marnie notably have criminally little screen time. Rose and Oleanna really could have used more fleshing out/foreshadowing/build-up before the finale too. (Really, a lot of the stuff between the "Elite 4" and the champion battle feels like it came out of an entirely different script.)

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
(Really, a lot of the stuff between the "Elite 4" and the champion battle feels like it came out of an entirely different script.)
I haven't quite gotten to that part in the game yet, but from what I've heard... yeah. The game was rushed and it shows.

io_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I identified with Cheren a lot when I first played BW, in terms of really wanting to be the best at things and seeing that as almost a purpose in life, and then later I just found him annoying so I must have changed myself ;p. It really was a shame to me that he had such weak Pokemon on his team (which pains me to say, I still like Unfezant and Liepard) and therefore seemed outclassed by Bianca in terms of team composition as well as character development. As has been said, he really needed that Haxorus and Gigalith in the main game instead of after it.

I haven't played Sw/Sh but I hear good things about Hop xD I like Hau from Moon, but wish he got more of a character arc. His character development by the end of Moon felt a bit rushed and should have been elaborated on earlier I feel (he brings up something in the post-game about wanting to find his father which was never mentioned beforehand for example). But he was still a friendly, familiar face in some of the darker points of Moon's story which was nice to see

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)