• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Pokélink - Pokémon streaming utility (as featured on the 24 hour stream)

Thread Description
Updated discord link

Jezzabel

Technical Wizard & Social Butterfly
Affiliate
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokédex Entry
The Technical Pokémon, Where his social skills lack he makes up for in nerdiness.
Firstly I'd like to say a massive thank you to Bug, Tails, Snake, Mac, and everybody else who took part in, and watched the 24 hour stream (Oh and thanks for having us)

Who even are you?
I'm a 26 year old Programmer and Pokémon fan boy from the UK. I've been involved in programming and computer security since my teenage years. Oh and I'm the creator of Pokélink. I'm also building this with xLink.

xLink is an amazing programmer I've known since I was ~13, and he's done a lot in this app too, from connecting to the emulator from the app, some of the beautiful themes and kicking my backside into doing more.

What's Pokélink?
Pokélink is an app that helps streamers & poké-tubers create beautiful viewer-engaging streams when they stream/record Pokémon game playthroughs. (You might have caught a glimpse on the 24 hour stream of the Nuzlockers using the tool).
It enabled a bridged connection between your emulator (DeSmuME and VBA supported currently) and the Pokélink app - then provides a set of browser sources to include in your stream.

Have a look at it in action for yourself

What gave you the idea for this?
After seeing all of the pokemon streams + videos of Pokétubers doing cagelockes, soul links, nuzlockes and more - I've been super interested in the editing around the videos and tools used to add to the video.

My curiosity raised a few questions:
  • How long does it take to edit the mon's, badges and other game data into the videos
  • For solo streams - what are they using to display the game data
  • why is the data not instant to the stream's frame
  • For duo streams (where they do have the game data on the stream frame), how are they extracting it from the emulator (some have a file they're updating manually >.<) and how are they syncing the pokemon from both players' games
  • What tools are being used & how do they work (the tech behind them)
  • Why is there such limited data on the stream?

I looked up examples I could find and went through the pros and cons of each, and overall I found the same patterns:
Cons: live streams usually have an ugly design, lack of in-game data, seems editing intensive
Pros: Has Pokémon species, nickname, images, and level, edited versions are sometimes beautiful

So we created our own...
  • Easy to use tool
  • Instant emulator to stream updates
  • Custom pokemon sprites (any images can be used - but they look awesome when animated)
  • Supports multiple players connecting simultaneously to allow for split screen setups whilst remaining live.
  • Provides Pokemon name, id, species, max HP, current HP, IVs, gender, move-sets, levels and much more.

Where can I find out more?
We're still in the process of finalizing the website, but we've been too busy with app development.

We have a discord: https://discord.gg/fFJpwXV which you can use to get started, ask questions and more. Note: (Please don't join this discord unless you intend to use this app to stream or record videos and be sure to read the rules immediately upon entry)
We also have a Patreon setup for those who want to show some love, support the project and earn extra features including early releases of the app, one-on-one support, added features, etc https://www.patreon.com/pokelink

But I pose a question to you - What features would you like to see from a project/app like this? We're always looking at adding more functionality :)

Last edited:

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
Pinned, so everyone can find it. Honestly, if y'all are interested in pokemon streaming or gameplay video recording, I recommend this tool. It is excellent, and the devs are stellar, sweet, and helpful people.

SnakeWrangler

Sorceress's Knight
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Water, Poison
Heartily agree. It looks so good and it's super customizable (but it still looks nice if you're like me and not really creative enough to change it up!)

Ardomew

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
The Violet Wizard. Passionate about art, food, and games.
I’ve done a few Pokemon streams myself, so I may look into using this system in the future.

Reactions: Bug

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
What a great resource!! One day when I get a better laptop with a half decent camera and live somewhere where the wifi doesn't constantly cut out, I would love to stream some nuzlockes, and will definitely use this tool! I'm not very tech savvy, so I appreciate all the hard work that must have went into making this easy to use tool so that people like me can have a chance at streaming!!

Reactions: Bug

Azrez

h
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
???
Finally! I get to use a less shitty overlay and deceive people into thinking that I am a decent streamer! But seriously this is epic.
Also, the discord invite is invalid; can you make another one?

Jezzabel

Affiliate
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokédex Entry
The Technical Pokémon, Where his social skills lack he makes up for in nerdiness.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LucarioOfLegends

Saint of the Church of The Holy Pluffle
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 17, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him whatever the male ones are idk
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Steel
Pokédex Entry
He fought 32 men in an Irish bar once; he is also an incredible liar.
Not my style of Pokemon video but interesting nonetheless.

Jezzabel

Affiliate
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokédex Entry
Update time! We are SO close to being ready for Sword and Shield, we're just waiting for graphics and some data. Gym badges (the badges, their exclusivity to which game and order of the gyms), the full (official) dex and the new SwSh sprites. More info coming soon!

Jezzabel

Affiliate
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokédex Entry
I'm proud to announce the release of Pokélink 0.3.2 - now with Automatic Gen 1 support!

Added
  • Add basic web source previewer and auto-link generator for the different themes
  • Add ability to customise what info is shown on the "Players and Party's" screen
  • Add automatic tracking for Pokémon Red (Gen1) #40
  • Add automatic tracking for Pokémon Blue (Gen1) #40
  • Add automatic tracking for Pokémon Yellow (Gen1) #40
  • Add badges for RED, BLUE & Yellow
  • Add badges for X & Y
  • Add badges for OMEGA RUBY & ALPHA SAPPHIRE
  • Add Gigantamax and other forms for SWORD and SHIELD
  • Add mega forms for X & Y

Fixed
  • Fix button in manual party editor
  • Fix issue where connection settings aren't saved if they're
  • Improve performance with manually editing
  • Improve autocomplete functionality
  • Fix badges not being sent properly
  • Fix long paths in lua file path being stretched
  • Fix credits screen to change Branding name for "ProPokeNoob"
  • Fix notifications now appearing properly
  • Fix Gen1 config not sending the changes on new game

Changed
  • Add notification when server cannot be started on specified port
  • Change Pokélink to be portable-only.

Check out the discord for the download :)
https://discord.gg/fFJpwXV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)