• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
Thread Description
A Pokémon Emerald Storylocke. It certainly updates sometimes, maybe!

HardlyStellar

internet?
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 18, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her, They/Them
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Stella bores her opponents to sleep when she feels intimidated. She also possesses an unlimited amount of cosmic power she's too lazy to use.

Partner Swap is my first real attempt at a storylocke. Coincidentally, it's also my first serious attempt at a nuzlocke in quite a while. And while I am a soon-to-be-published author (was that bragging subtle enough?), this little side-project of mine doesn't have the benefit of being written in my native language, or having a dedicated editor working out its quirks. Constructive criticism is appreciated and highly encouraged! Just be nice :)

This'll be updated as I progress in the game, and while I do have a fair bit of free time on my hands, I am really bad at keeping up with schedules so I can't really give y'all one. Sorry about that!
If you want to spoil yourself on my in-game progress, I am keeping track of it on the forum's Discord server! Don't worry, though, I'll make sure to keep things fresh and fun for those of you who are following my progress on Discord.

The Rules!
This is the set of rules I'm using. It's pretty standard as far as nuzlockes go, nothing too crazy.
  • I can only catch the first Pokémon I encounter in each area.
  • I must nickname every one of my Pokémon. Emotional attachment and all that.
  • This is the big one. If a Pokémon faints, it is dead. If a Pokémon dies, it is to be stored in a dedicated box on the PC. If an HM user is needed to progress and said HM user is dead, I am allowed to take it out solely for progression's sake.
  • Dupes Clause. I want variety in my catches.
  • Shiny Clause. Fuck you, you can't keep me out of a shiny encounter.

Table of Contents!
Prologue - Out of Body Experience (You're here!)
Chapter 1 - Baby Steps

Prologue - Out of Body Experience
"What is your name, my child?" It spoke in a demanding, yet oddly gentle voice.

"I think it's Drumstick. That's what Daisy called me, at least."

"Very well, Drumstick. I don't expect you to understand why I'm going to do what I'm about to do. Not yet, I least. But I do want to ask you to be patient and understand that this is all happening for a reason."

I would've tilted my head in confusion if it weren't for the fact that I was a disembodied voice, floating in what I assumed was the endless void of space. Even then, I nodded-- or at least made an active effort to, but they seemed to understand just fine. Arceus let out an almost deafening roar and my vision (if you could call it that) went white. I guess it didn't fully wear out by the time I was transported back to my body, because I definitely tripped and fell, and it definitely hurt quite a bit. My eyes adjusted to the lightning conditions as I laid on my side, and I saw a fellow Torchic that looked very upset.

"Oh my god, where's Drumstick?" It scrambled near the tall grass, intimidated by how large it actually was in relation to its body. "Oh my god, where are my arms?!"

It then turned around, faced me and it's expression went from panicked to horrified. I looked downed to check up on myself, only to find a very human looking body wearing Daisy's clothes.
On second thought, I don't think I was transported back to my body at all.

Last edited:

HardlyStellar

internet?
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 18, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her, They/Them
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Stella bores her opponents to sleep when she feels intimidated. She also possesses an unlimited amount of cosmic power she's too lazy to use.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Time for a proper first chapter oh boy.

Chapter 1 - Baby Steps
"Oh, man, this is awkward."

"How come you're able to speak in english? How come I'm able to speak at all?"

"I've always been speaking to you, you just didn't understand me."

Daisy let out an annoyed sigh and sat down. "This sucks. I hate this."

I managed to pilot my new body next to her, not without struggling a lot. I also thought about giving her some headpats, but I found that using my arms required a lot of coordination-- more than I had at the time. I didn't say anything, I was still weirded out by my voice being replaced by that of a 16 year old human girl, but I wholeheartedly agreed with her. We both had the same vision, this is something we both agreed to, technically, but I don't think this is something you could really hold against us. Arceus, creator of all things and endlessly worshipped deity, just showed up, ominously told us he was gonna 'do something' in the most vague way possible, and told us to deal with it. What were we supposed to do? Say no? Taking advantage of parasocial relationships isn't cool, dude. Major rapey vibes. Arceus is a dick.

"Ok, whatever, let's go."

I raised one of my eyebrows, or at least tried to. "I'm sorry, what?"

"What, did I interrupt your internal monologue or something?"

"Uh, yeah, actually."

She stood back up. "I said let's go. There's no point in just... staying here". She hopped into my shoulder, almost effortlessly, and pointed her beak forwards. "Best case scenario, we're gonna be able to fix this down the line. Worst case scenario, we just go on with our lives like this."

"I don't know if you're either really resourceful or just an asshole."

"Thanks, Drum, I love you too". She pecked my ear. It hurt. "But think about it. I'm pretty damn good at being a human and you're pretty damn good at being a Pokémon. We can do this!"

[-~-]​

Daisy was unable to dogde Mudkip's tackle and it sent her flying towards a nearby tree. She hit the trunk before reaching the ground with a loud thud. Critical hit.

"I can't do this, I give up."

I ran over to her, quickly spraying her with my last remaining potion.

"Daisy, you good there? What's up with your arms?" Birch's kid, Brendan, seemed genuinely concerned about seeing her friend flapping her arms around or just letting them hang loosely while she ran.

"Shut the fuck up, I'm working on them!" Probably not the best response I could've given him. He's a nice kid. "Da- Drum, keep your distance, focus and don't attack him until he's approaching."

Daisy got up again and stared Mudkip down.

"Mudkip, use tackle!"

The water type lunged at her, but she just hopped into his head.

"Ok, attack him now!"

Daisy twisted her claws around Mudkip's fin and head. With little effort, she threw all of her weight into the ground and launched the axolotl the same tree she hit earlier. He groaned in pain, fell to the ground and was called back into his pokéball. Daisy was very pleased.
I figured Brendan would've been more bummed out about it, but, to my surprise, he put his hand over my shoulder.

"Hey, that was really impressive. You're a good trainer, especially for a girl. See you back in the lab!"

He didn't give me enough time to react before he was gone.
That was really sexist.
Also I'm not a girl.

[-~-]
"Hey, Daisy?"

She tilted her head.

"I think I'm getting better at using my arms."

"Are you, now?"

"Yeah, look!"

I took an empty pokéball out of my belt and threw it pretty damn far. She was pleasantly surprised when she saw that, but that soon turned to concern when we both heard a subtle cry of pain from where the pokéball landed. We both approached it curiously, and Daisy pecked at the button in the middle of the pokéball. A very excited Poochyena came out, jumped on me with enough force to knock me down and started licking my face.

"Hi! I'm sorry for getting in the way of your pokéball! I love you!"

Daisy couldn't help but grin. I couldn't help but laugh every time she licked me. I discovered I was actually quite ticklish. I held the Poochyena up and she started wagging her tail.

"Now, friend, what's your name?" I awkwardly tried to pet her while I was holding her up.

"Oh! I don't know yet, I've never been asked that. But I'm scary! Call me something scary! Like Jaws!"

I sat up and put her down on my lap, only for her to start licking my face again.

"Okay, Jaws sounds good."

Daisy climbled up on my head and looked down on us two. "I like her. I'm sure we'll make a great team."

Last edited:

Ciel

Everybody! JUMP!
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 19, 2020
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Water
I was actually going to reply to the prologue update, but then you uploaded the first chapter before I could! >.<

I must admit that I'm not generally fan of stories that start out abruptly without much prior context (most Isekai, to name an example), but I like how original this one's premise. The only thing I can say to "criticize" is that I personally would've liked to see them struggling with their bodies for longer, like say, Drum has speaking problems (because he is not a one-legged bird anymore) on top of being unable to properly walk and, of course, move his arms, while Daisy has her own problems walking on one leg while also... struggling to speak in bird?

Though this is more a small nitpick more than it is a critique now that I think about it, isn't it?

E-Either way, barring that aside, I still like the implications of the story as a whole, because while I can't get myself to fully approve this kind of tales, the fact that they leave a lot of questions for the viewer is something I definitely can get behind of. I won't go in-depth into this, because #spoilers, but know that, at least from my point on view, you did a good job overall on the start of this story. I'm hyped to see how this potential misadventure will end up like, so keep it up!

Xita

Moo
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Water, Dark
This is cute, though most of all I love the name for Torchic and how a freakin Torchic told Brendan to shut the fuck up lol. This seems like a pretty fiery partnership but I’m interested to see where it goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)