• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Nuzlocke World Cup

Thread Description
A team knockout tournament to decide who gets to be crowned the Nuzlocke World Champion!

Xerxos

xerx gon give it to ya
Tech Team
🎇Contributor
Globetrotter
Team Omega
Nuzlocke Master
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 14, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Pokédex Entry
Just a guy who does way too many Nuzlockes but never documents them.
Hello there, and welcome to the inaugural Nuzlocke World Cup! Like its namesake, the Nuzlocke World Cup will be a team knockout tournament in which a select number of teams will vie for the title of World Champion. This will be a little different from the forum events you're used to, but don't be intimidated! The rules might seem daunting at first, but everything should hopefully be easy to grasp. Plus, the only things you'll need to be able to sign up are a forum account and a Discord account. We will be accepting 40 sign-ups in total, and spots will be decided on a first-come, first-served basis. The event will begin shortly after we fill all 40 slots. If you’re interested in joining, make sure you get your sign-up post in as soon as possible! With your help, we’ll be able to make this the biggest event the forums have ever seen. And, if this tournament gets enough interest, we'll even be able to make this a recurring event!

Click the logo to join our Discord server! All participants must join.

I said earlier that this is a team knockout tournament, but how does that work with Nuzlockes, which are inherently single-player experiences? Well, I’ll first have to explain what teams are, how they’ll be formed, and how team matches will work.

Teams
  • Teams will consist of five players. During each tournament match, each team member must complete a Nuzlocke prior to the end of the round. Tournament matches will be five weeks long, and deadlines will be strictly enforced to ensure scheduling remains on track.
  • Team selection:
    • Eight players will be chosen at random from the pool of people who signed up. These users will be designated as team captains, and will be allowed to draft two players of their choosing. The draft process will use a typical snake draft order. The remaining two team slots will be filled randomly from the pool of undrafted players.
    • A team may change its captain at any time. The team captain is responsible for making sure all fellow team members finish their runs on time, as well as ensuring all results are reported accurately and on time.
    • A team has to have a name! Keep it Pokemon related and keep it PG, but otherwise, go nuts with your creativity. Change of plans! There are eight teams and eight Pokemon regions, so make this feel like a world cup, your team will get to pick a region! You can add to the region name if you want, e.g. the Johto Jaguars. Feel free to also make a team crest if you want. I'll set up a private category for each team on the Nuzlocke World Cup Discord server so that you don't need to make your own.
    • In your sign-up post, you may designate one other player you’d like to be teamed up with, if you wish. Unless both of you are drafted to different teams, we’ll try to put you on the same team. You may also opt out of the captain selection process in your sign-up post.

Matches
  • Prior to the start of each match, four main-series games will be randomly selected. For the purposes of this event, paired games like Ruby and Sapphire will be counted as the same game, though third versions like Emerald will be counted separately. Four members of each participating team must decide amongst themselves who will be Nuzlocking each game for that particular match.
    • All main series games and remakes except for the Let’s Go and Galar games may be chosen. The full list of playable games is as follows:
      • Red/Blue
      • Yellow
      • Gold/Silver
      • Crystal
      • Ruby/Sapphire
      • Emerald
      • FireRed/LeafGreen
      • Diamond/Pearl
      • Platinum
      • HeartGold/SoulSilver
      • Black/White
      • Black 2/White 2
      • X/Y
      • Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
      • Sun/Moon
      • Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
    • If nobody on your team is capable of playing 3DS games, please let me know as soon as possible.
    • The fifth team member is known as the wildcard. At the start of the round, the wildcards from each team will be assigned a generation. Any generation between 1 and 8 (inclusive) may be selected. The wildcards will then each pick a game from that generation to Nuzlocke. If Generation 4 is selected, for instance, all Sinnoh games as well as the Johto remakes will be available. The Let’s Go games may not be selected as they operate outside of typical generational mechanics, but Sword and Shield are allowed if the wildcards select Generation 8.
  • Players have four weeks to complete their Nuzlockes. The last week of each match is reserved for any battles that are to take place.
  • Players must provide proof that they beat the game via a screenshot or photo of their final team. Players must also submit images of their final team members' movesets, abilities, and items if they are participating in a battle.
  • The players from each team who Nuzlocked the same game will be matched up against each other. The player with the lower death count in their Nuzlocke wins a point for their team, while the player with the higher death count gets nothing.
    • In case of a tie, the players must use the final teams from their Nuzlocke runs to battle it out on Pokemon Showdown. The battle must take place in the generation of the game that was Nuzlocked (for instance, if FireRed was the selected game, the battle would take place with Generation III mechanics). Players must use the team they used to defeat the Champion, and may not tweak their team members’ moves, items, abilities, or natures. EVs and IVs may be modified, and battles will take place with all Pokemon at level 100. Pokemon that died during the Elite Four and Champion gauntlet may still be used in these battles. Whoever wins the battle takes the point for their team.
    • If the death counts are within two of each other, one of the players may issue a challenge. Should the other player accept, the two players will battle on Pokemon Showdown using their final teams as described above. Whoever wins the battle earns two points for their team instead of the standard one point. Players are not obligated to accept challenges.
    • Death counts should only be reported to your fellow team members and to the tournament organizers. The results of matchups that do not allow for challenges - in other words, matches where the difference in death counts is three or higher - will be publicly posted by the organizers. If the death counts are within two of each other, the tournament organizers will let both players know they may issue a challenge, but no other information will be relayed - we will not reveal who had the lower death count until a challenge battle takes place or until both players decide not to issue a challenge. Make sure to think through things carefully before issuing or accepting a challenge!
  • Wildcard players are matched up against each other as well, and the wildcard with the lower death count earns one point for their team. Wildcard players may not issue challenges, but they must battle if the difference in final team scores is zero or one.
  • Wildcard battles follow the rules outlined above. Whoever wins the wildcard battle wins the match for their team. Team members are allowed to help during all stages of the team building and battling process.

Tournament Structure
  • The tournament will consist of a three-round, single-elimination bracket with eight teams in total. Only the quarterfinal matchups will be decided randomly; from there, the bracket operates in a standard fashion. In other words, we won’t be randomizing the semifinal matchups.
  • By popular demand, the tournament has been changed to double-elimination. If the team from the Losers Bracket wins the Grand Finals match, the two finalists must then battle to decide who wins the tournament! All participants in Grand Finals must battle their opponents, using the same rules as typical challenge battles, and whichever team wins three or more battles will be declared Nuzlocke World Cup Champion. This battle takes the place of a second, post-"bracket reset" Grand Finals match, and gives the team from the Winners Bracket a second chance to win the tournament. Battles do not have to take place simultaneously, and teammates are permitted to assist each other during these battles. See an outline of the new tournament structure on the spreadsheet's Tournament Structure tab.
  • Additional Nuzlocke rules will be added at every stage of the tournament. These rules will be applicable to every member of every team, and they will stack. For instance, let’s say the semifinals added forced set mode and the finals added a no items in battle clause. All players taking part in the finals would have to do their final runs on set mode with no item use allowed during battle. Refer to the Tournament Structure tab on the aforementioned spreadsheet to see how the added rules will work.
  • All members of the winning team will receive a special role on the forums as well as on the Nuzlocke Forums Discord server. In addition, each member will be invited to either be a captain or an organizer for the following year’s Nuzlocke World Cup.

Mandatory Nuzlocke Rules

To keep everything fair and balanced, all players must abide by these rules during their Nuzlocke runs:
  • Dupes clause is allowed with a limit of three chances. You can skip the first two duplicates in an area, but if the third Pokemon you find there is a duplicate, that’s your catch for the area. For a Pokemon to count as a duplicate, it must be registered in your Pokedex as caught.
  • Gift Pokemon (including starters, in-game trades, and Pokemon bought from the slots) count as encounters in their respective areas.
  • Solo runs are not allowed. To ensure nobody blazes through their runs with only a couple very strong Pokemon, your final team must consist of six Pokemon, and all of your party members must be within ten levels of each other prior to entering the Elite Four gauntlet.
  • None of your Pokemon may exceed the level of the next gym leader’s ace. Any Pokemon that exceed this level cap must sit out during the gym battle. When entering the Elite Four gauntlet, none of your Pokemon may exceed the Champion’s ace (or Ghetsis’s ace in Pokemon Black and White).
  • No box-art legendaries. Other legendaries are fine, such as the Regis and the legendary birds, but Pokemon like Groudon, Rayquaza, Reshiram, and Yveltal may not be used. The only exception is Suicune, as it doesn’t have the characteristics of a typical box-art legendary.
  • For the purposes of this event, Johto games end at Lance, not at Red.
Additional clarifications:
  • Pokemon that evolve by being traded may be evolved normally, as long as the Pokemon is immediately traded back. If you’re playing on an emulator, you may also patch the ROM to turn trade evolutions into level-up evolutions. The evolution level does not matter, so long as it corresponds to a legal evolution level for that Pokemon.
  • A wipe is not an automatic loss unless you’ve lost every single one of your Pokemon. If you still have Pokemon in your box, go ahead and rebuild! It’s still entirely possible you’ll be able to win the match.
  • No using Amie or Refresh, since the boosts are indeed broken. If you've already used it in your run, that's completely fine, just don't continue to use it. You may use Amie/Refresh to evolve Eevee into Sylveon, but make sure to stop boosting affection after it hits the minimum level needed to evolve it.
  • In the Safari Zone, you will have unlimited attempts at catching Pokemon, but you may only catch one Pokemon in total. This means you should try to catch every single Pokemon you run into, but you may disregard any Pokemon that flee. You may NOT simply keep running from Pokemon until you find one that you want. You may disregard the mandatory Geodude in HG/SS.
  • The end of B/W, X/Y, ORAS, and S/M are Ghetsis, Diantha, Steven, and Kukui, respectively. Any deaths that take place in the bonus battle after the Champion shouldn't be counted. - Shiny clause is active! You may catch any shinies you find, but you may only use them if they're your first encounter. If the shiny is a duplicate of a Pokemon you've already caught, you may only substitute it in if doing so offers no inherent advantage. Please ping an Organizer if you encounter this situation so we can check the legitimacy of the substitution.
  • Mandatory first encounters, such as the Route 1 Pidgey in Kalos, may be either caught or ignored. It's entirely up to you to decide which option you'd like to go with.
  • Areas such as the Battle Tower, Battle Subway, etc. are not allowed. Raids in Sw/Sh are fine, but deaths during a Max Raid Battle still count, so be careful!
  • You're free to divulge as much or as little information as you want to other teams. Use your <team>-reporting channel to report details to the organizers, but don't feel obligated to even let other teams know which game you're playing!
  • No exploiting major Gen 1 glitches. This includes the combination of X Accuracy and OHKO moves.

Signing Up

Please include the following information in your sign-up post:
  1. Your Discord tag (e.g. Xerxos#5993)
  2. Whether or not you're capable of playing 3DS games
  3. Whether you'd like to be considered for a team captain role (if unspecified, we'll assume your answer is no)
  4. The forum username of a user you'd like to team up with, if possible (optional)
All slots have been filled, so we are no longer accepting sign-ups. Feel free to join the Discord server to spectate, though!

That's everything! Let me know if you have any questions or if you need anything clarified, and I'll respond as quickly as I can. I'll also append an FAQ section to this post if need be. The best place to ask questions is on our Discord server, which you'll also need to join if you're participating in this event.

Last edited:

11wildy

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2020
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
First to sign up!

1. 11wildy#2005
  2. I am capable of playing 3DS games but would prefer not to because I don't like them as much and won't restart Moon :p
  3. I would be fine with being a captain
  4. Will edit this in later once I'm sure if my friend will join

Six

AKA Cadence
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Clever, ???
Pokédex Entry
It uses its hefty bulk to execute powerful moves
Hell yeah!

Six#8476
3ds is fine
I'd rather not be captain if possible

FragDFKF

hey guys fra g here
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 8, 2020
Nature
Hasty
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dark, Cool
Pokédex Entry
clown school graduate
1. Frag#4926
2. I can do 3DS games
3. I'd rather not but I could if I had to

Eugenius

Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 10, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
1. Eugenius#0961
2. Can't do 3DS games
3. Would rather not be team captain
4. jamiedodger29

TheTRUEgge

Ethos is overrated
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
This sounds like a lot of fun! It’ll be nice to have an excuse to do some nuzlocking
  1. Your Discord tag: TheTRUEgge#5843
  2. Whether or not you're capable of playing 3DS games: Can do!
  3. Whether you'd like to be considered for a team captain role: Sure!
  4. The forum username of a user you'd like to team up with, if possible: No preference

d'angelo russell

tomorrow ain't promised to no-one
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he - him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
it was banished for its violence. it silently gazes upon the old world from the distortion world
cross off#2080
don't have a 3ds so no
fine with being a captain
fine teaming with anyone

e: changing this to provisional, will make a final decision like two weeks from now bc I'm not quite sure where I'm going to be in said two weeks so.

Last edited:
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 10, 2020
  • Your Discord tag Syndrapova#1650
  • Whether or not you're capable of playing 3DS games: Yes although I have not purchased Ultra Sun and Moon and would prefer not to
  • Whether you'd like to be considered for a team captain role (if unspecified, we'll assume your answer is no) Does not matter to me
  • The forum username of a user you'd like to team up with, if possible (optional) NA I am knew here so I know nobody

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
My discord tag is "The Sylph is In#8025".
I can play all the 3DS games, and Shield version.
I think I'd rather not be a captain, that sounds like too much thinking :P
I don't have anyone in particular to request.

This sounds like it'll take some getting used to, but it also sounds really cool. Count me in.

Zaazaa0

Lad
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he
Pokémon Type
Clever
Pokédex Entry
In 1989 Dawkins commented, 'The word meme seems to be turning out to be a good meme' (Dawkins 1989).
Sure, let's give this a whirl. Scoring based on whoever got the least deaths sounds fun.

1. Zaazaa0#4777
2. No 3DS here, sorry.
3. If fewer than 8 people express interest, sure.
4. Nope.

megazard

Derp
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Sure, this seems interesting enough to get me to stop lurking.
  1. Your Discord tag (e.g. MZ#8484)
  2. Can play everything except Let's Go
  3. No
  4. I know nobody

Azure

Derp
Globetrotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 22, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Water
1. Azure#8532
2. Can play 3DS games but no Sun and Moon
3. nah
4. Dunno anybody

Raderph

A Radical Earthling
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
I'm in, against probably good judgment.

1. Raderph#7056
2. I can run anything at this point
3. and 4. Nah m8

Shruikan

Bookwyrm
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 10, 2020
Nature
Lonely
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon appears shy and quiet, but bring up a subject that interests them and they can speak for hours nonstop.
Me: Consistently has high nuzlocke death counts, only just scraping by.
Also me: Enters challenge based around getting the lowest death count in nuzlockes.

What could go wrong? :P

1. ScrollWyrm#2409
2. 3DS? Sure, I can do that NP. (I can do any game bar gens4&5)
3. Hell no. A team lead by me would go down faster than the Titanic.
4. Only been here a day so I know no-one yet. :/

LucarioOfLegends

Saint of the Church of The Holy Pluffle
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 17, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/him whatever the male ones are idk
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Steel
Pokédex Entry
He fought 32 men in an Irish bar once; he is also an incredible liar.
Never completed a nuzlocke, might as well start trying now.

1.LucarioOfLegends#3689
2. Yep 3ds is fine.
3. Nah fam thats not a good idea.
4. No one in particular

DGom4421

Derp
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 12, 2020
1. DGom4421#2684
2. Yes, capable of playing 3DS Games
3. No
4. No

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)