• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Nuzlocke Nuzlocke Ideas and Concepts You'd Like to See

Thread Description
We all have too many ideas and not enough time, so maybe someone else might wanna do 'em? Or better yet, already has?

satanicswirlix

Government Assigned Towelie Kinnie
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
dude/weed/lmao
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This user's interests change more often than her pantalones. It is unlikely that she'll ever finish making a nuzlocke comic, but she can die trying!
Implementing anthros into the gijinka world isn't that complicated, unless you want to go into extreme detail. I've seen some gijinkalockes where they have Scyther hands and giant wings, and still manage to put on a tight t-shirt, so who cares about logic? I just gave my anthros human proportions (minus the Pokemon heads), and they seem to blend in well with the gijinka.

Sheepscope

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
A bed, with wall-to-wall books and a papery carpet
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She and they in no particular order, he very rarely; I'm beginning to think that I'm gender-fluid or flux. I have no clue, and I'm probably overthinking this.
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Constantly in search of the highest challenge, this person takes up the most impractical rulesets.
Nuzlocke deconstruction: all protagonists must journey to be successful or for their lives to be interesting, else it end up the daily grind.

Its reversal?: the character(s) must travel for their jobs, but the actual journey is boring, and it's who they meet over the course of their job that makes the story interesting.

Revival: a country's history where the entire society has everyone travel long distances. If you don't venture out daily, what would happen? How would languages form?

Each language, formed over a vast region, interrelates to other regions (adstratum). There are words exclusive to people who stay in a settlement or travel a far enough distance away.

"Absolutely Certain"

without a doubt (MD)
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
no pronouns
Pokémon Type
Steel, Cute
Pokédex Entry
Likes to make jokes. Whether or not this Pokemon's jokes are funny, the jokes are not funny.
Even if you only do pure aesthetics on gjinka/demi versus anthro, it still changes some things.
i. actually didn't think of this because my genre of gijinka (at least for one of my runs), well, uh

they already do that,

admittedly in #001 i don't delve too much into it, but w/pantsing there's a character who specializes specifically in fashion so we get to see that in action :3c i've designed some funny bird talon shoes for yoja before and there are weirder anatomies/fashions that i haven't really gotten to in-comic yet haha

but i haven't really seen other people grapple w/that anatomy stuff quite yet, though i think there are a Few who might???? maybe. perhaps. i'm hoping so. i want more of us

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
So on that subject, I've been drawing some of my characters from my Omega Ruby nuzlocke, and I have an Emolga in a sweater, and it's somewhat amusing because how exactly does a sweater work with those huge wing flaps coming out of her arms? Static cling? There's no logic to it, and even the Emolga herself admits that in-story.

Sometimes you just have to paw-wave things.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, handwaving everything is definitely a valid solution. Enough media does it that nobody's going to bat an eye if you do "animal(-like), but otherwise entirely human in society, behavior, etc." I probably wouldn't either, though I still might ask how the Scyther puts on the T-shirt for funsies. But, as someone attempting to write a novel that has zero human characters in its universe, I find it fun to think about the details in-depth.

@"Absolutely Certain" Your gjinkas/demis are definitely less human than most I've seen (I'm assuming those are yours). Most are "humans, but ears, tails, wings, and maybe claws and cute fangs". Or, at least as far as I've encountered. But still though, yeah, some of the "anthro line of thinking" would definitely apply to the worlds in the settings of those pictures.

...maybe it's just "non-human line of thinking"? A lot of the same considerations, if not all of them, would also apply to random sci-fi aliens and fantasy world critters and the like too now that I give it a little thought.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
One idea I had recently is a lorelocke set in the distant past of Aetherai, but all the Pokemon are depicted as Cosmopoliturtle redesigns. An RP buddy recommended the gallery to me, and these designs are really beautiful and ethereal, so I'm dying to do something with them.

But of course I'm already drowning in nuzlockes as it is, so I'm not sure if I'd ever have the time to document it.

EDIT: Apparently I've already gotten two 'love' emojis on this idea, so that's moving up on my list of projects. I don't blame you guys -- those are some wicked awesome designs, right there, and very fitting for mythological creatures.

Last edited:

Epsilon

Queen of Birds
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Docile
Pokémon Type
???
Right okay, so I had this idea, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to write it myself, but I really ought to focus on my personal writings rn so I'm putting it out here for anyone to pick up if they want.

It's a story run concept that revolves around SwSh and monolockes.

So we all know that Galar is based on England and its version of the League is presented as a big sports competition. It's quite literally the English Premier League, and honestly as an English person I find it pretty funny.

But I propose we take that a step further.

The basic idea is that each pokemon type in Galar has a 'team' associated with it, with the Gym Leaders being the top-ranked member of their team (Raihan is the exception because Leon is also signed to the Dragon-type team, and you bet that grinds his gears, hence their rivlary). The teams sign promising trainers they find when scouting out about, not unlike real sports teams, and give them endorsements to take the gym challenge. The Dragon-type team are the current champions through Leon and have held that position for a long, long time.

Now here comes our hero. Endorsed by the champion? Nay! This is the story of an underdog, because there's nothing more British than that. So we know in Galar lore there are apparently major and minor Leagues, with the Major League being the one we play in-game and the Minor League shunted off-screen to irrelevance land. Well, that's you. You're from one of those irrelevant, overshadowed, forgotten teams - either Ground, Flying, Electric, Steel, Poison, Psychic, Bug or Normal, take your pick (also Rock/Fighting if you have Shield and Ice/Ghost if you have Sword). Your team was a big deal some thirty or so years ago but had a run of horrible luck, lost most of their money and sponsors and barely exists now. But thirty years of hurt never stopped you dreaming. Minor League teams can enter challengers into the Major League, usually with the aim of getting themselves promoted - they just seldom do these days, so everyone's jaw collectively drops when our hero turns their endorsement in, and no one expects them to get very far. But these people are wrong.

Non-team affiliated trainers can also receive endorsements to do the gym challenge, but they usually get offered a place with one of the teams if they actually do well. Hop is one of these indies, but he's a goober who can't decide what team to be part of and eventually decides to fly solo to the end (which is possible, but happens rarely). Bede is also an indie because he considers being chosen by the chairman more important than any of the teams. For Marnie, idk, you can make Team Yell the Dark-type team outright or you can have her be the only Dark-type team challenger, entirely up to you. Hell you could even make your main character Bea or Gordie if you're doing Shield, or Allister if Sword, or Marnie if it's a Dark-type run - quite a lot of possibilities here.

SwSh are pretty good for monolockes, I find, because of the variety in the Wild Area and such, so this is basically what I dreamed up while attempting a couple myself. In-game you are required to wear your chosen type's uniform at all times as soon as its available. You are also required to use goroawase to give yourself a number that fits your type. For my Flying run I went with 312, which (I think) is 'taifu', meaning typhoon. First I used Google Translate, then I used this site to get the full-length kana, then this site to get the goroawase.

Woof I didn't expect to write so much, but I guess I had more to get out of my head than I realised. I hope maybe I can inspire someone, anyway.

Season

Formally known as White Chaos.
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2020
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him/his
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is the Unovan regional form of the Pokémon White Chaos, shrugging the Dark/Psychic typing in favor of a Grass/Poison persona.
One run I have a lot of fun doing over the years but have never documented has been the Factionlocke, half inspired by Wedlockes and half inspired by a concept of having multiple trainers go on a Pokemon journey on one save file. Basically, the main rule that fuels this variant is that when a Pokemon is caught, they are randomly assigned a faction (of 3). The easiest way to keep track is to use the marking system in the PC and name the boxes accordingly (Circle, Triangle, and Square). At the start of every in-game hour, you generate what faction the trainer belongs to, and you can only use Pokemon of that same faction. If you roll a faction with no Pokemon in it, then you reroll.

Basically, what this does is spread the Pokemon you acquire out into 3 different teams, in which you have no control over, and limits your choice in team building. Situations where you'd have a full team and 4 box reserves in a normal run would be spread out into, say, teams of 3, 5, and 2. The in-game time mechanic adds an interesting layer, where a team that would steamroll a gym leader could have the bad luck of not being chosen for a while, forcing you to take risks or grind to buy time. Deaths are more impactful when you realize that your team of 3, shrinking down to a team of 2, might not be replenished for a while as the next catches could go into the other two factions instead. You really have to know the potential of every team composition you're working with and recognize their limits, as for most of the game, you're going to be working with small parties with overlapping weaknesses.

Inksword

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 9, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
One run I have a lot of fun doing over the years but have never documented has been the Factionlocke, half inspired by Wedlockes and half inspired by a concept of having multiple trainers go on a Pokemon journey on one save file. Basically, the main rule that fuels this variant is that when a Pokemon is caught, they are randomly assigned a faction (of 3). The easiest way to keep track is to use the marking system in the PC and name the boxes accordingly (Circle, Triangle, and Square). At the start of every in-game hour, you generate what faction the trainer belongs to, and you can only use Pokemon of that same faction. If you roll a faction with no Pokemon in it, then you reroll.

Basically, what this does is spread the Pokemon you acquire out into 3 different teams, in which you have no control over, and limits your choice in team building. Situations where you'd have a full team and 4 box reserves in a normal run would be spread out into, say, teams of 3, 5, and 2. The in-game time mechanic adds an interesting layer, where a team that would steamroll a gym leader could have the bad luck of not being chosen for a while, forcing you to take risks or grind to buy time. Deaths are more impactful when you realize that your team of 3, shrinking down to a team of 2, might not be replenished for a while as the next catches could go into the other two factions instead. You really have to know the potential of every team composition you're working with and recognize their limits, as for most of the game, you're going to be working with small parties with overlapping weaknesses.
I've got a half-finished run with notes that was super similar to this. The only thing was that the 3 trainers were you + your rival(s), (I did this on bw/bw2 so it evened out to 3) and pokemon that were on those trainers' actual teams were automatically assigned to them instead of randomly rolled. I also randomly distributed found-items but that part didn't add as much interest imo. I just switched them after every gym, doing the first 2 on combined teams, and the E4 team had to be composed of 2 from each team.

I should pick those back up haha.

Season

Formally known as White Chaos.
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2020
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him/his
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is the Unovan regional form of the Pokémon White Chaos, shrugging the Dark/Psychic typing in favor of a Grass/Poison persona.
I've got a half-finished run with notes that was super similar to this. The only thing was that the 3 trainers were you + your rival(s), (I did this on bw/bw2 so it evened out to 3) and pokemon that were on those trainers' actual teams were automatically assigned to them instead of randomly rolled. I also randomly distributed found-items but that part didn't add as much interest imo. I just switched them after every gym, doing the first 2 on combined teams, and the E4 team had to be composed of 2 from each team.

I should pick those back up haha.
It's super fun for sure. I've recently picked this style of Locke back up and I'm testing new rules with it that are similar to your item clause! Pokemon can't swap items within different Factions (I can't swap a Silk Scarf from the "Circle Faction" to a Pokemon in the "Triangle Faction"). When the Pokemon dies, it's free real estate, but generally speaking, I can only redistribute that item if I find something else I'd want for the Pokemon instead, as I'm purposefully banning loopholes such as removing the item just as the in-game timer says to switch teams. So, if I decided that Silk Scarf Pokemon is better suited with Expert Belt, then I can give Silk Scarf to something else.

Epsilon

Queen of Birds
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Docile
Pokémon Type
???
Wow, a lot of you liked my idea for a SwSh monolocke story huh.

...Well I'm still not writing it. So get on it, someone, 'cause apparently you'd have an audience!

A character concept I thought up alongside that idea is the Grumpy Veteran Mentor, someone who reached the finals of the Gym Challenge thirty or so years ago but failed and these days is very bitter about the Gym Challenge and Macro Cosmos's excessive glamorisation of it. They've never once shown up to any of the events organised for former challengers. All they want is a quiet life away from all that nonsense in a sleepy town by the Slumbering Weald (could be Postwick or you can make up somewhere else) - but then our hero shows up, and so poor Mentor is dragged back into it. Possibly they knew some of the older characters like Rose, Kabu and Melony back when they were challengers too.

I thought up this to go with the above monolocke story idea, but it doesn't have to be. A story about a scrappy underdog and their tired, jaded ex-challenger mentor going through the Galar League together, reliving 'the old days' and both being hit by character development along the way and becoming actual friends/family could be a story run all on its own without any ties to that.

fluffyspy

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
I've been toying with a storylocke idea for one of the Alola games that I don't currently have the time to flesh out, but it is... very blatantly inspired by the fact that I've been watching the X-Files recently, lol.

The concept is that Looker and/or Anabel take the place of the protagonist, having come to Alola to investigate reports of ~anomalous wildlife~. It would be an episodic-type story, with every trial representing the climax of one "episode" and the totem Pokemon serving as inspiration for the Monster Ultra Beast of the Week. Of course, our overarching plot would be leading to a confrontation with the Aether Foundation, whose secret interdimensional experiments are the source of the eldritch infestation.

There might be some Stranger Things in there too.

TheMgr

I am bad at this.
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 11, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pokémon Type
Poison, Steel
An idea I had a while back is that the main character would be some sort of famous actor/actress that got the chance to go on a journey, and because of their fame it is entirely recorded for live TV.

The catch, however, is that the rules would be built around trying to keep the viewers happy, so that whenever the player did actions that would be considered exciting the viewers would be happy, but something boring would cause a drop in "viewership." Drops in that would cause additional restrictions on the player throughout the playthrough.

Another somewhat stupid idea I had was that each catch would represent one US president, and the rule added to the run by that pokemon would reference something the president did (e.g. the Jefferson one would require you to spend all of your money ASAP, the Truman one would need to know an OHKO move, etc.) It's a bit silly but I don't know.

satanicswirlix

Government Assigned Towelie Kinnie
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
dude/weed/lmao
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This user's interests change more often than her pantalones. It is unlikely that she'll ever finish making a nuzlocke comic, but she can die trying!
Another somewhat stupid idea I had was that each catch would represent one US president, and the rule added to the run by that pokemon would reference something the president did (e.g. the Jefferson one would require you to spend all of your money ASAP, the Truman one would need to know an OHKO move, etc.) It's a bit silly but I don't know.
JFK would be Blacephalon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)