• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Nuzlocke Nuzlocke Ideas and Concepts You'd Like to See

Thread Description
We all have too many ideas and not enough time, so maybe someone else might wanna do 'em? Or better yet, already has?

SimplyUnknown

Conqueror of the Goldenrod Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
  • ) A run with a more positive spin/outlook on death! Not just "oh these guys are dead, let's check out their dead life," but more honoring traditions of death and respecting the dead rather than bemoaning and being solemn about it. I think it'd be a fun exercise, or at least an informative research dive...! I wanna see more "death treated as a good thing," and not just a "oh this bad person is dead :D." Let's see a, "this good person is dead, let's celebrate their life."
  • ) where is it. the anthro runs
@"Absolutely Certain" These top two intrigue and confuse me. For the one about anthro runs, are you talking about gijinka runs and if not, how exactly do gijinka runs differ from anthro runs for you? I'm not trying to be insulting; I'm honestly curious about it because to me, there really isn't a difference.

As for the positive spin on death, the first thing that comes to mind would probably be a cultural thing about a good death. Maybe the run takes place in a world with a Viking culture; where warriors sought a death in battle so they could reach Valhalla. I'm 90% sure that a death of old age would be something of a shame for a warrior in that culture, but I'm not positive. Or a chivalric run, where the Pokemon act as knights to their trainer king and are lauded after death for their glorious battle? Heck, you could maybe combine the chivalric run with an anthro run where your trainer is a young king or noble out to conquer territory to expand their kingdom with his knights looking for glory in battle or glory in death.

That could also bring up a potential character; the one who doesn't get the whole 'glory in death' or 'good death' concept. Fire Emblem Three Houses had that in the Blue Lions with Felix, if you want a good example. Though that game might be more of a deconstruction than you appear to be looking for.

Anyways, I hope this inspired someone. If not, I might come back to do a run like this later on. Seems like an interesting fic for a Kalos run...

Little Winky

Master Procrastinator
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She keeps telling herself that one day she'll document one of her 10,000 runs. Maybe once she finishes half of them, she'll actually do that.
Here's one Hoenn Ghost mono/dual-locke idea that I really like but have had a hard time developing outside of the premise:

The introduction starts from the POV of Norman's wife as she's moving into Littleroot. Everything is fine and dandy, the Vigoroth come out to help bring in her stuff... and then they discover the body of the protagonist in the back of the truck, unresponsive and empty of a soul. The run then follows said displaced soul as they team up with several Ghost pokemon to figure out what happened to them and regain their body.

TerryTheTeryx

Gen Z Degenerate
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Steel
Pokédex Entry
A bizarre Pokémon who dislikes many social activities. She appears to have a penchant for peanut butter and foreign languages.
Here's one Hoenn Ghost mono/dual-locke idea that I really like but have had a hard time developing outside of the premise:

The introduction starts from the POV of Norman's wife as she's moving into Littleroot. Everything is fine and dandy, the Vigoroth come out to help bring in her stuff... and then they discover the body of the protagonist in the back of the truck, unresponsive and empty of a soul. The run then follows said displaced soul as they team up with several Ghost pokemon to figure out what happened to them and regain their body.
That's pretty interesting but also terrifying as hecc.

SnackyTheSylph

He's a jolly fellow
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
I have a ruleset concept that would also fit this thread in execution.

So my idea was to do a sort of "Bodyswaplocke". Basically, at checkpoints throughout the run (probably per badge), you would put your party in the order you obtained them, and then...rotate their species [EDIT: via save editor, I mean]. Keep everything else - moves, EVs, etc. - the same, but rotate the species. So if you beat Brock with a Squirtle and a Butterfree in your party, congrats! You now have a Butterfree with Water Gun et al and a Squirtle with Confusion, etc.

Seeing the justifications for this happening and the execution between the characters, the trainers, etc. I think could be really fun and interesting (or unfun if you want to take it in that direction, which I can totally see how you could). But I already have too many ongoing runs as a college student, and if I'm gonna put my energy into a comic I want it to be the Crystal run that I've had on the back burner since its VC release in, like, 2017. So I offer up this idea to the public domain.

Last edited:

Sheepscope

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
A bed, with wall-to-wall books and a papery carpet
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She and they in no particular order, he very rarely; I'm beginning to think that I'm gender-fluid or flux. I have no clue, and I'm probably overthinking this.
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Constantly in search of the highest challenge, this person takes up the most impractical rulesets.
Fire Emblem Pokemon, where you take your Pokemon and convert them to NPCs from what you're playing.

kururu

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
I'd love to see more runs which uses some of the in-game events. IE: Zorua, Spiky-Eared Pichu, that sort of thing. I remember in my casual playthough that Spiky-Eared Pichu was great to take out Whitney but fell off in usage - it'd be fascinating to see a run which used them.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I'd love to see more runs which uses some of the in-game events. IE: Zorua, Spiky-Eared Pichu, that sort of thing. I remember in my casual playthough that Spiky-Eared Pichu was great to take out Whitney but fell off in usage - it'd be fascinating to see a run which used them.
There are a couple event Pokemon I plan on using in my Shield nuzlocke. Not saying which they are because spoilers, but one of the reasons I wanted to nuzlocke the game at launch is so I can get those early events.

Sheepscope

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
A bed, with wall-to-wall books and a papery carpet
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She and they in no particular order, he very rarely; I'm beginning to think that I'm gender-fluid or flux. I have no clue, and I'm probably overthinking this.
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Constantly in search of the highest challenge, this person takes up the most impractical rulesets.
Here's a ruleset designed around being between full health and fainting.

• Fainting is treated like death
  • First encounter not permitted until the team has space
  • No dupes clause, but they are randomized by similar BST
  • No encounter can be at full health or be boxed after joining
  • Team wipes/run failures can only be through fainting

mondograss

Bard of Life
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pokémon Type
Dark, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is infamously irritable, but it comes down from its rage quickly. It is quite loyal to kind, patient Trainers.
Fire Emblem Pokemon, where you take your Pokemon and convert them to NPCs from what you're playing.
WAIT! Hold that thought!
I've actually tried writing rulesets around that but they never seemed to get anywhere! Hold on, I'll try to dig it up...

Recruitment-
  • Every individual Pokemon available in the game will be assigned certain recruitment conditions
  • A Pokemon may only be caught if its recruitment conditions are met, AND if it is the first Pokemon found on the route.
Items-
  • Vulneraries exist, don’t they? Using healing items in battle is perfectly allowed. X items? Filla’s Might, Ninis’ Grace! Flutes? Restore staves! TMs? Skill scrolls, I guess? Or maybe just new weaponry?
Pair ups-
  • Pokemon will be paired up if necessary. Pair ups are not mandatory. In a double battle, only a pair of Pokemon may be used, and if either is switched, the entire pair must switch to a new pair.
  • The game will be played on SHIFT. However, the game will be treated as SET if the switch-in is not a pair.
    • E.g. Lombre is paired up with Loudred. Lombre gets a kill. Will PLAYER switch Pokemon? If YES, only Loudred may be switched in. However, any other Pokemon may be switched in at any other time.
  • Pair ups may be changed at any point outside of battle
Chapters-
  • Every segment of the game will be divided into chapters in accordance with the game played and the player’s opinions.
  • The Pokemon Center and box may only be visited between chapters.
  • Some Gaiden Chapters, or optional Routes, may be visited only if certain chapter requirements are met.
  • Some chapters have some sort of requirement that must be met, such as rout all enemies, or a turn limit. If the requirement is not met, GAME OVER.
Turns-
  • The following counts as one turn-
    • One turn of combat (for the entire party)
    • Healing a Pokemon outside of battle (for that Pokemon)
    • Switching the order of Pokemon (for the two Pokemon involved)
    • Changing pair ups (for all Pokemon involved)
  • Once a Pokemon has taken their turn through menuing, that Pokemon may not take a turn until all Pokemon in the party have. Entering combat automatically ends the last turn. Keep a log of what turn you’re on.
    • Example, using two Super Potions on your Marshtomp is two turns, while using a Super Potion on your Marshtomp, pairing up your Mightyena with your Ninjask and unpairing from your Makuhita, and switching your Lombre to the front instead of your Loudred counts as one turn.
Shopping-
  • Shops may only be visited in chapters which contain that particular shop. This also means that every shop may only be visited once.
Promotion-
  • Pokemon may only evolve if promoted. A Master Seal is earned at the end of each major fight.
Then, I started on a list of Chapter durations and Pokemon recruitment conditions...
  • Starter Pokemon – Completely free. Also, the first promotion of the starter is free.
  • Zigzagoon – must be recruited by the starter, may not be attacked while catching
  • Poochyena – must be recruited by the starter, must be attacked at least once while catching
  • Wurmple – recruitable by anybody
  • Wingull – cannot be hit by a blunt attack (tackle, pound), recruitable by anyone
  • Lotad – cannot be recruited by a Fire, Dark, Ghost, Flying, Poison, or Bug type
  • Ralts – must be recruited by the starter
  • Seedot – cannot be recruited by a Fire, Dark, Ghost, Bug, Fire, Poison, or Flying type
  • Marill – must be attacked with a Cute move after taking damage
  • Taillow – cannot be hit by a blunt attack, can only be recruited with a Torchic or Wingull in the party
  • Slakoth – cannot be recruited by a Pokemon with a base speed stat greater than ___
And that's as far as I got! I considered doing things like making classes for each Pokemon that change how they fight, but thinking of all those recruitment conditions and chapter clear conditions was starting to get tiresome.
So, a bit half-baked, and maybe not that fun, but an idea nonetheless.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I posted these rulesets in another thread, but I thought it might be worth it to post them here as well.

For my Omega Ruby navlocke-in-progress, I included a special rule that a certain Pokemon could not leave my party (except when I was exp. share training weak Pokemon) and that if she died, the next female Pokemon I caught would 'replace' her and also not be able to leave my party. This led to some... interesting situations.

Then there's my idea for a 'limited types' nuzlocke similar to Mouse's earthlockes. Except instead of limiting myself to rock, steel, and ground types, I'm limited to psychic, ghost, dark, and fairy types. But that's not the catch. The catch is... if my first encounter isn't one of these types (or evolves into one of these types), I have to Wonder Trade it for one. And there is no level limit. And there is no dupes clause. I call it the 'shadowlocke,' and I'm currently playing an X run under those rules. I have a few dupes, but given the ease of leveling up in X (especially with traded mons), I'm using a rotation team, so overleveling one Pokemon of a species doesn't necessarily mean I'm overpowered; I can just swap it for its lower-leveled twin.

Then there's my newest potential nuzlocke ruleset idea: a Bionicle-themed nuzlocke where each party member needs to be one of the six original Toa elements: Fire, Rock, Ground, Flying, Water, and Ice. If possible, there must always be one party member representing each type, and each party member only counts for one element: a Dewgong, for instance, may represent Water OR Ice, but not both. You may not catch or use Pokemon that are not of any of these types. The obvious difficulty of this ruleset is that Ice-type Pokemon tend to be introduced late in the game, meaning that the player is likely to have a team of five or less for a while.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
I think this idea could work for Hoenn or Alola, but think... Pirate nuzlocke. No special ruleset (although a water monolocke would fit right in!), but pirate theme. Maybe it'd work best for a gijinka run, though, because pirate ships require, like, opposable thumbs. On everybody. And pirates have tattoos, right? So maybe the tattoos have magic powers! So you could incorporate Pokemon there if you don't want to go the gijinka route.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A really silly story-telling concept that randomly hit me. It'd probably have to be a shorter story because otherwise the concept would lose its novelty, I think. Might be a good April Fools run.

But basically: A Black or White run told from the view of the protagonist's mom. After the protag and Bianca trash the bedroom, we see the mom cleaning it up. It's totally trashed, so she had to like... replace the floor, the walls, all the furniture, and so forth. Meanwhile, the protag calls home or something every so often so we get status updates on the journey. The run ends with the mom finally finishing cleaning and fixing that room just in time for the protag to call home after beating Ghetsis.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Hear me out here: Mystery Nuzlocke Theater 3000.

For those of you who don't know what Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K) is, it's a TV show (which has a Netflix reboot) about people commentating over terrible movies. Sounds like a lot of YouTube, right? Well, MST3K came on the air in 1988.

It was before its time.

But here's a key part of MST3K: The commentators don't have control over where the movies begin and end. (So they basically get a highlight reel.)

So what if you did something similar with, say, an SSWL? The narrator has to commentate, but they don't know the context! Because it's MST3K, it'd have to be a comedy run, but maybe there could be community engagement with randomizer settings, nicknames, rulesets, etc.

Vexelbun

Robo-bun of Friendship
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
any
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Steel
Pokédex Entry
It Just Works
I'm sure there are a fair number that exist I've missed, but I'd personally like to see more comic runs where Pokemon can't speak human language, and have to communicate with their natural body language.

Not necessarily saying they have to have animal-like intellect, or that there even has to be a language barrier between them and the trainer, but something like the anime where we don't get to hear their exact words, but the audience and humans can get the gist of it via body language and knowing the Pokemon well enough.

I'm sure it's harder to convey personality this way, especially lacking the movement that animation carries, but I think comics like this could be really engaging!

Last edited:

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She enjoys showing off her artwork to others, and constantly discovers new techniques to experiment with
I would like a very early time-period, Edo-style run where the protagonist journeys from town to town as some kind of pokemon expert to help out the locals with their troubles. A lot of what's considered common knowledge is unknown to a lot of people (things like type matchups, or knowing all the species of pokemons out there). If you watched the anime Mushishi, it's kind of like that - Pokemon (or Mushi in Mushishi) are regarded as strange creatures that cause bizarre phenomenons that often causes inconvenience to the humans who live there, but in truth they're just trying to survive.

-Only use natural heal items such as berries or pokemon centers. No man-made items (Potions, Full Heals...) can be used.
-You cannot use Pokemon centers or enter houses if you have a ghost type in your party. Superstition makes the townspeople fearful and suspicious of you, and they will not invite you in with the 'evil spirit'.
-Each pokemon on your team can receive their unique folklore! I think Froslass and Ninetales already have their mythos, but it'll be fun to invent some!

-Johto would be a good region. The Burned Tower, Kimono Girls, and Ho-Oh are very easy to incorporate into the Japanese culture. Regions based elsewhere would be harder...
-The protagonist can also keep a log of the different pokemons they meet, like a rudimentary pokedex, if you want to do it written log style.

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She enjoys showing off her artwork to others, and constantly discovers new techniques to experiment with
Another idea I have is the Truman-show based premise where the trainer is the star of a reality show and doesn't know it. Everyone else is an actor paid for by the League. You can explain away some weird npcs that way since the show needs entertainment and drama. For example, why all the trainers in the area have weird dialogues, the video game logic, or why you always seem to be the one who solves everyone's problems. There are ethical issues of you being filmed without consent and on TV for the region to see, and your pokemons dying for other's entertaiment that could have been avoided.

Another thing I would like to see in runs is variation in setting. Everyone always start from Pallet town and end up in the Indigo League. Or New Bark Town to Mt. Silver. How about a run where you earn the badges in reverse order, have a hack that scales the levels depending on which town you start in? That would be great for variation in teams although coding-wise I don't know how it's going to work. Imagine your trainer starts out from Lavender town though... maybe simply switching up how you make your way across the region

"Absolutely Certain"

without a doubt (MD)
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
no pronouns
Pokémon Type
Steel, Cute
Pokédex Entry
Likes to make jokes. Whether or not this Pokemon's jokes are funny, the jokes are not funny.
@"Absolutely Certain" These top two intrigue and confuse me. For the one about anthro runs, are you talking about gijinka runs and if not, how exactly do gijinka runs differ from anthro runs for you? I'm not trying to be insulting; I'm honestly curious about it because to me, there really isn't a difference.
hi so like i read this post when you first made it and then i completely forgot about it. WHOOPS

i like the ideas you have on the valhalla stuff!! it kinda fit the bill for what i meant: using death not (primarily) as a point for drama, but something positive and not seen as a "loss." idk how to particularly describe it. but YEA i'd love to see a run like what you described (tho admittedly i'm not into FE and i don't see myself getting into it either)

but w/the anthro runs, No i'm not talking about gijinka runs. i'm talkin full furry, baby. it's mostly an aesthetic thing that i want, haha, but primarily it'd be interesting to see a run that takes a zootopia-like (or zootropolis-like) approach: people are anthropomorphic pokemon/animals and they deal w/the implications of that.

you could argue that mystery dungeon and trainerless nuzlockes do this, but honestly they treat all the pokemon as human (in needs & wants as well as in intelligence & sapience). i want animalistic pokemon with human desires, babey. i want da wildside... i wanna see humanoid pokemon going ape shitt

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
you could argue that mystery dungeon and trainerless nuzlockes do this, but honestly they treat all the pokemon as human (in needs & wants as well as in intelligence & sapience). i want animalistic pokemon with human desires, babey. i want da wildside... i wanna see humanoid pokemon going ape shitt
I try to remember the animal side of my Pokemon in the Aetherai series. Pidgeys eating bugs, Beedrills making their nests out of chewed paper, that sort of thing. It's not the major focus of the run, but it makes for interesting worldbuilding and character development.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My own reply is slow too, ha ha!

Even if you only do pure aesthetics on gjinka/demi versus anthro, it still changes some things. For example, take, let's say, a Gardevoir and Persian anthro. They could have the same height, build, and so forth as far as their bodies go. BUT! Let's say the Persian has digitigrade feet. They would not be able to share footwear (and, even if plantigrade, may not be able to due to claws). They also may not even be able to wear the same pants since the Persian's would need to be tailored to account for the different leg shape. There may also be a mismatch on gloves thanks to the presence of claws for the cat and possibly differing number of fingers. A full helmet also might not work as one meant for the cat would need to account for its different headshape over the human-like head of the Gardevoir.

This does start to bleed into other aspects of the world. Like, the equipment used to size a Persian anthro's digitigrade feet is going to have to be a bit different from a Gardevoir's feet. Therefore, a shoe store would have to have multiple foot-measurement things for picking out the right size shoes. And, not to mention, said store would best be served dividing its sections up by foot-type in addition to age and gender as many already do. And then throw in stuff like Pidgeot with talons or serpentine pokemon, like Arbok, with no legs at all (unless you give them legs, that's acceptable too) and it really gives a lot to think about just for aesthetics when gjinka/demi stuff can skip a lot of that since everyone's physiology is mostly human with a few extra parts.

Maybe something in this vein might be a good blog topic. Hmmm...

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Maybe something in this vein might be a good blog topic. Hmmm...
YES YES YES! I love seeing the logistics as to how animal civilizations would work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)