Nuzlocke Nuzlocke Ideas and Concepts You'd Like to See

Thread Description
We all have too many ideas and not enough time, so maybe someone else might wanna do 'em? Or better yet, already has?

SimplyUnknown

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
  • ) A run with a more positive spin/outlook on death! Not just "oh these guys are dead, let's check out their dead life," but more honoring traditions of death and respecting the dead rather than bemoaning and being solemn about it. I think it'd be a fun exercise, or at least an informative research dive...! I wanna see more "death treated as a good thing," and not just a "oh this bad person is dead :D." Let's see a, "this good person is dead, let's celebrate their life."
  • ) where is it. the anthro runs
@"Absolutely Certain" These top two intrigue and confuse me. For the one about anthro runs, are you talking about gijinka runs and if not, how exactly do gijinka runs differ from anthro runs for you? I'm not trying to be insulting; I'm honestly curious about it because to me, there really isn't a difference.

As for the positive spin on death, the first thing that comes to mind would probably be a cultural thing about a good death. Maybe the run takes place in a world with a Viking culture; where warriors sought a death in battle so they could reach Valhalla. I'm 90% sure that a death of old age would be something of a shame for a warrior in that culture, but I'm not positive. Or a chivalric run, where the Pokemon act as knights to their trainer king and are lauded after death for their glorious battle? Heck, you could maybe combine the chivalric run with an anthro run where your trainer is a young king or noble out to conquer territory to expand their kingdom with his knights looking for glory in battle or glory in death.

That could also bring up a potential character; the one who doesn't get the whole 'glory in death' or 'good death' concept. Fire Emblem Three Houses had that in the Blue Lions with Felix, if you want a good example. Though that game might be more of a deconstruction than you appear to be looking for.

Anyways, I hope this inspired someone. If not, I might come back to do a run like this later on. Seems like an interesting fic for a Kalos run...

Little Winky

Master Procrastinator
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She keeps telling herself that one day she'll document one of her 10,000 runs. Maybe once she finishes half of them, she'll actually do that.
Here's one Hoenn Ghost mono/dual-locke idea that I really like but have had a hard time developing outside of the premise:

The introduction starts from the POV of Norman's wife as she's moving into Littleroot. Everything is fine and dandy, the Vigoroth come out to help bring in her stuff... and then they discover the body of the protagonist in the back of the truck, unresponsive and empty of a soul. The run then follows said displaced soul as they team up with several Ghost pokemon to figure out what happened to them and regain their body.

Reactions: Bug

TerryTheTeryx

Smol Dino Who Also Likes Birbs
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Steel
Pokédex Entry
A bizarre Pokémon who dislikes many social activities. She may be lured out of her residential cave with peanut butter.
Here's one Hoenn Ghost mono/dual-locke idea that I really like but have had a hard time developing outside of the premise:

The introduction starts from the POV of Norman's wife as she's moving into Littleroot. Everything is fine and dandy, the Vigoroth come out to help bring in her stuff... and then they discover the body of the protagonist in the back of the truck, unresponsive and empty of a soul. The run then follows said displaced soul as they team up with several Ghost pokemon to figure out what happened to them and regain their body.
That's pretty interesting but also terrifying as hecc.

SnackyTheSylph

I'm holding out for a Geno
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Has a lot of projects, but staunchly refuses to share any of them publicly.
I have a ruleset concept that would also fit this thread in execution.

So my idea was to do a sort of "Bodyswaplocke". Basically, at checkpoints throughout the run (probably per badge), you would put your party in the order you obtained them, and then...rotate their species [EDIT: via save editor, I mean]. Keep everything else - moves, EVs, etc. - the same, but rotate the species. So if you beat Brock with a Squirtle and a Butterfree in your party, congrats! You now have a Butterfree with Water Gun et al and a Squirtle with Confusion, etc.

Seeing the justifications for this happening and the execution between the characters, the trainers, etc. I think could be really fun and interesting (or unfun if you want to take it in that direction, which I can totally see how you could). But I already have too many ongoing runs as a college student, and if I'm gonna put my energy into a comic I want it to be the Crystal run that I've had on the back burner since its VC release in, like, 2017. So I offer up this idea to the public domain.

Last edited:

Sheepscope

Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
A bed, with wall-to-wall books and a papery carpet
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
They or she, in no particular order; I'm a demi-girl.
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Constantly in search of the highest challenge, this person takes up the most impractical rulesets.
Fire Emblem Pokemon, where you take your Pokemon and convert them to NPCs from what you're playing.

kururu

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
I'd love to see more runs which uses some of the in-game events. IE: Zorua, Spiky-Eared Pichu, that sort of thing. I remember in my casual playthough that Spiky-Eared Pichu was great to take out Whitney but fell off in usage - it'd be fascinating to see a run which used them.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Also a major Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I'd love to see more runs which uses some of the in-game events. IE: Zorua, Spiky-Eared Pichu, that sort of thing. I remember in my casual playthough that Spiky-Eared Pichu was great to take out Whitney but fell off in usage - it'd be fascinating to see a run which used them.
There are a couple event Pokemon I plan on using in my Shield nuzlocke. Not saying which they are because spoilers, but one of the reasons I wanted to nuzlocke the game at launch is so I can get those early events.

Sheepscope

Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
A bed, with wall-to-wall books and a papery carpet
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
They or she, in no particular order; I'm a demi-girl.
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Constantly in search of the highest challenge, this person takes up the most impractical rulesets.
Here's a ruleset designed around being between full health and fainting.

• Fainting is treated like death
  • First encounter not permitted until the team has space
  • No dupes clause, but they are randomized by similar BST
  • No encounter can be at full health or be boxed after joining
  • Team wipes/run failures can only be through fainting

mondograss

Decent at Rhythm Heaven
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pokémon Type
Dark, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is infamously irritable, but it comes down from its rage quickly. It is quite loyal to kind, patient Trainers.
Fire Emblem Pokemon, where you take your Pokemon and convert them to NPCs from what you're playing.
WAIT! Hold that thought!
I've actually tried writing rulesets around that but they never seemed to get anywhere! Hold on, I'll try to dig it up...

Recruitment-
  • Every individual Pokemon available in the game will be assigned certain recruitment conditions
  • A Pokemon may only be caught if its recruitment conditions are met, AND if it is the first Pokemon found on the route.
Items-
  • Vulneraries exist, don’t they? Using healing items in battle is perfectly allowed. X items? Filla’s Might, Ninis’ Grace! Flutes? Restore staves! TMs? Skill scrolls, I guess? Or maybe just new weaponry?
Pair ups-
  • Pokemon will be paired up if necessary. Pair ups are not mandatory. In a double battle, only a pair of Pokemon may be used, and if either is switched, the entire pair must switch to a new pair.
  • The game will be played on SHIFT. However, the game will be treated as SET if the switch-in is not a pair.
    • E.g. Lombre is paired up with Loudred. Lombre gets a kill. Will PLAYER switch Pokemon? If YES, only Loudred may be switched in. However, any other Pokemon may be switched in at any other time.
  • Pair ups may be changed at any point outside of battle
Chapters-
  • Every segment of the game will be divided into chapters in accordance with the game played and the player’s opinions.
  • The Pokemon Center and box may only be visited between chapters.
  • Some Gaiden Chapters, or optional Routes, may be visited only if certain chapter requirements are met.
  • Some chapters have some sort of requirement that must be met, such as rout all enemies, or a turn limit. If the requirement is not met, GAME OVER.
Turns-
  • The following counts as one turn-
    • One turn of combat (for the entire party)
    • Healing a Pokemon outside of battle (for that Pokemon)
    • Switching the order of Pokemon (for the two Pokemon involved)
    • Changing pair ups (for all Pokemon involved)
  • Once a Pokemon has taken their turn through menuing, that Pokemon may not take a turn until all Pokemon in the party have. Entering combat automatically ends the last turn. Keep a log of what turn you’re on.
    • Example, using two Super Potions on your Marshtomp is two turns, while using a Super Potion on your Marshtomp, pairing up your Mightyena with your Ninjask and unpairing from your Makuhita, and switching your Lombre to the front instead of your Loudred counts as one turn.
Shopping-
  • Shops may only be visited in chapters which contain that particular shop. This also means that every shop may only be visited once.
Promotion-
  • Pokemon may only evolve if promoted. A Master Seal is earned at the end of each major fight.
Then, I started on a list of Chapter durations and Pokemon recruitment conditions...
  • Starter Pokemon – Completely free. Also, the first promotion of the starter is free.
  • Zigzagoon – must be recruited by the starter, may not be attacked while catching
  • Poochyena – must be recruited by the starter, must be attacked at least once while catching
  • Wurmple – recruitable by anybody
  • Wingull – cannot be hit by a blunt attack (tackle, pound), recruitable by anyone
  • Lotad – cannot be recruited by a Fire, Dark, Ghost, Flying, Poison, or Bug type
  • Ralts – must be recruited by the starter
  • Seedot – cannot be recruited by a Fire, Dark, Ghost, Bug, Fire, Poison, or Flying type
  • Marill – must be attacked with a Cute move after taking damage
  • Taillow – cannot be hit by a blunt attack, can only be recruited with a Torchic or Wingull in the party
  • Slakoth – cannot be recruited by a Pokemon with a base speed stat greater than ___
And that's as far as I got! I considered doing things like making classes for each Pokemon that change how they fight, but thinking of all those recruitment conditions and chapter clear conditions was starting to get tiresome.
So, a bit half-baked, and maybe not that fun, but an idea nonetheless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)