• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Nuzlocke Nuzlocke Ideas and Concepts You'd Like to See

Thread Description
We all have too many ideas and not enough time, so maybe someone else might wanna do 'em? Or better yet, already has?

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's had a few different ideas for Nuzlocke stories I've wanted to write or different concepts that've come to mind, but wasn't able to pursue for various reasons (usually lack of time for tackling that much stuff as the culprit). Or maybe there's just things you do you really wanna see other people's takes on? So, why not share them? Maybe you'll inspire someone to incorporate them into a run their doing/planning or maybe even start something new? Or better yet, maybe that run you really want to see already exists out there and someone here might be able to point you the right way?

Regardless, sharing ideas and concepts it cool. So we should do that so that we become cooler people by proxy.

So, two specific ideas I've had, but have dropped by the wayside...

Spirit Crystal - The idea here was a run where the protagonist was Silver rather than Ethan/Lyra/equivalents, keeping Silver as canonical as possible in terms of personalty, albeit it was gonna be set in my universe. There's not many (any?) "Rival Runs" that I'm aware of and it'd be cool to see such, particularly for me for this one since Silver is still among my favorite Rivals and it'd be awesome to see his transformation from total dick to someone who actually cares about their Pokemon. I was originally going to do this as a sequel to my original run, Fractured Actuality, but I wound up going in an entirely different direction and game.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to Team Galactic - Honestly, if someone could take this concept and was able to write it with similar humor and tone of the Hitchiker Trilogy, I'd love them forever. I never thought too much about this beyond the title but... come on, it'd be friggin' amazing if it was done right!

And two concepts that come to mind (I'm sure I have more that aren't coming to mind). I actually plan on integrating these sorts of concepts on some level to a future run I'm planning, but I'd really love to see other people's takes on it.

Survival mechanics - Whether in ruleset or not, the idea of the journey actually being long and arduous and needing the trainer to actually rough it seems like a cool idea. Like, a lot of trainers pack a tent and sleeping back, but juggling things like food, water, weather, shelter and the like is rarely a concern for them and, more often than not, towns are rarely more than a day's walk away, often less. Just imagine, say, a Sinnoh run where the towns are one or more days apart and the cold, snowy weather is just as much of an enemy as Team Galactic and/or the League. No convenient stops, the protag needing to carefully consider supplies and what unknowns they might encounter and them having to face it all down. I dunno, it just sounds cool.

Anthro Pokemon runs - Okay, so, we have our human trainers. We have our trainerless runs (usually Mystery Dungeon). We have our gjinka runs. But where's the ones where the Pokemon are anthropomorphic? I know there's a number of furries on these forums, so it's quite surprising I've not found one yet. I think there's a lot of interesting potential here and, while similar to a pure gjinka world (and could easily be done as "gjinka world but different coat of paint), there's definitely room for a different level of nuance that gjinka's lack since gjinkas are, well, largely human in appearance and all that. I dunno, it'd be cool, but maybe I just played too much Skyrim and Armello?

Mr Spaz

I caught the big– OH SHIT
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
"Your Majesty" is gender neutral. (he/him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying, Ghost
A hack where all of your mons have their IVs decreased to 0 while everything else in the game has perfect IVs and is fully EV Trained. (As far as I care, it could be completely vanilla beyond that)

pikamewphlosion

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
How I Lost The War: a Kanto run that ties together the offhand mention of a war by surge with a lot of ingame details: Blue missing both his parents, weak central government, Crime syndicates rampant, the possibility of developing artificial Pokémon as part booby trap, part Special Attack Unit (aka, Electrode), and potentially dabbling in genetics to create an ultra powerful Pokémon to turn the tide of the war.

And if it’s LGPE, you could make it more depressing by having Blue be a retired badass after his career was cut short by the conflict, and as for Red? Well, I’m just gonna say that I can imagine there being a statue built for him

Rhema

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
I’d never write it, but last week I joked with my husband about a possible wonderlocke where you go into wondertrade until you get 6 hacked level 100 Pokémon as your team members. They wouldn’t fully obey you until the very end of the run, but are virtual untouchable throughout the game. I could see it being a good humor comic or something.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fun fact: my brother tried doing something similar back in the Gen I days by trading in a level 100 Mewtwo in place of his starter. After it lost to a Bug Catcher in Viridian Forest because it wouldn't obey, he traded back. So, such a run would probably be harder than you'd think!

And, I knew there was another idea of mine!

Wizards and Weaviles - A Dungeons and Dragons-esque run inspired by the Borderlands 2 DLC Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep. The Pokemon would represent the adventuring party and each would have a player, so you'd have the GM narrating and the players commenting on the stuff in the background of the story. Kind of a humorous contrast to the seriousness of the plot. I had even planned to try to get other Nuzforum users I knew at the time to write the dialogue for the other in-story players just to make the banter and commentary more unique and interesting rather than writing it all myself.

Sheepscope

Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
A bed, with wall-to-wall books and a papery carpet
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She and they in no particular order, he very rarely; I'm beginning to think that I'm gender-fluid or flux. I have no clue, and I'm probably overthinking this.
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Constantly in search of the highest challenge, this person takes up the most impractical rulesets.
(My brain's fried, otherwise I'd explain how I like each of the above ideas.)

I've thought of Kalos and Unova as being related in some way, historically or geographically, and that the Musketeers were more likely to be from the former. There's the war around the Ultimate Weapon, how settling Unova went, life in wandering back and forth across their borders...this isn't all one story idea, just little pieces.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
As well as my FireRed lorelocke, I'm also doing an Omega Ruby "sneaklocke," where the first valid encounter to catch on each route has to be a Pokemon that appeared on DexNav and that I snuck up on. If I accidentally scare the first DexNav encounter away, or cannot reach it before triggering another random encounter, I may catch the next DexNav encounter I get instead. However, I may not use the DexNav to look up any overworld Pokemon before battling them, to add a wrinkle of difficulty to the process.

Unfortunately I didn't realize that Route 101 has no DexNav encounters other than the scripted Poochyena, so I KO'd it under the false impression that I would be able to get an encounter there that was randomized. Also unfortunately, my next catchable encounter was a Zigzagoon with Charm as its special move, meaning that it had zero attack moves whatsoever and I had to lean on my Treecko to kill everything until I reached my next encounter. Which was a Tailow that I had to be extra careful with because it could well have had Sky Attack (thankfully it didn't).

I will also take this opportunity to say that going back to Omega Ruby feels like going home. There's just something soothing about the early route music and the homey environments, which makes me realize just why this and not HeartGold is my favorite remake. HeartGold is arguably the superior game features-wise (especially given ORAS's lack of a Battle Frontier), but for this woman, there's no place like Hoenn.

mondograss

Bard of Life
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 15, 2019
Nature
Naive
Pokémon Type
Dark, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is infamously irritable, but it comes down from its rage quickly. It is quite loyal to kind, patient Trainers.
I've got a run of White 2 that's kind of on the back burner. It's called the Night and Day run. I can only use my Night team after sunset and my Day team after sunrise, and I have to switch the teams for certain battles. Only the Day team can fight Cheren, Burgh, Skyla, the last Colress battle, and Marlon. The harder battles, Roxie, Elesa, Clay, Drayden, and Ghetsis, (OK, maybe Colress is harder) must be fought with the Night team. There's also a level limit, but that's a default rule for me. The original idea was to stop myself from sitting there and grinding through the whole run in a few days like I usually do, but it turned into way too much grinding, (TWELVE active Pokemon) so I'm putting it off for now.

There are certain restrictions as to which Pokemon can join the Night and Day teams, but for the most part, it's just a back and forth between which Box a caught Pokemon goes to. Another difference is that the Day team gets one item per Pokemon, while the Night team gets no items in battle. I'm also sleepier at night, and make poor decisions. Also, the Day team is on SHIFT while the Night team is on SET. The general idea is to make the Night team's run much harder.

As for the story, the Trainer's behavior changes drastically once the sun goes down, as does the behavior of all Pokemon. Both the Pokemon and Trainer become more aggressive and desensitized to death. What's the cause of this? Hadn't gotten that far. The Elite Four will also be done twice; once with the Sun team, and once with the Night team. If either team ever wipes, it's game over.

mizar

young, dumb, and full of you know ;)
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Dragon
I haven't tried this ruleset yet, but I'd like too when I have some time. Vanilla nuzlockes can get a little repetitive so I'm experimenting with catch clauses.
The last pokemon in the route you encounter is the one you catch. So, for example, route 1 has zigzagoon, wurmple, and poochyena: you encounter poochyena 1st, wurmple 2nd, zigzagoon 3rd, and poochyena 4th. You catch poochyena. The idea is that you're more likely to use pokemon that normally wouldn't be encountered, like clefairy or ralts. I could see some issues with it (it might feel grindy to get 1% encounters) but I''l give it a go eventually

Rubombee

the ace that stays up the sleeve
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
they/them, shey/ther
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Doesn't even eat baguette, are you sure they're French
Imma drop this over here:
We have main series nuzlockes being told in PMD/trainerless worlds, but what about a dungeonlocke told as a trainer story?

Aureum

A world calling for justice shall be heard.
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
He, Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fighting
Pokédex Entry
From the Country of the Ketchup Chips, Aureums are an anxious bunch with a love for games of all sorts. Batteries not included.
I’ve been thinking, Z-Moves are a thing and I realized they’re less interesting when you can use one every fight just like that. (Sure you can only use them once per battle, but that isn’t enough of a downside for me)

So I’ve been thinking, what if they require in-universe some charge up time? What I mean is, you have to wait a select amount of time or battles (either/or) to use a Z-Move again? It would make them more special and be a cool last resort strategy imo. To make it more interesting, Certain Pokémon Exculsive Z-Moves would have a longer cooldown because I know I find myself abusing Malarious Moonsault. Probably will test it out in my nuzlocke once I finish writing Pt.3 and actually get to battle.

SilverDoe

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
I’ve been thinking, Z-Moves are a thing and I realized they’re less interesting when you can use one every fight just like that. (Sure you can only use them once per battle, but that isn’t enough of a downside for me)

So I’ve been thinking, what if they require in-universe some charge up time? What I mean is, you have to wait a select amount of time or battles (either/or) to use a Z-Move again? It would make them more special and be a cool last resort strategy imo. To make it more interesting, Certain Pokémon Exculsive Z-Moves would have a longer cooldown because I know I find myself abusing Malarious Moonsault. Probably will test it out in my nuzlocke once I finish writing Pt.3 and actually get to battle.
I actually did something sort of like this in a Moon run, except more extreme.
My rules said:
4. Concerning Z-crystals...
4a. A Pokemon may only use a Z-Crystal that matches its type (primary or secondary)
4b. Prior to reaching level 30, a Pokemon may only use a Z-crystal once. After reaching level 30, a Pokemon may use a Z-crystal up to 3 times, however, there has to be at least 1 major battle (trial captain, totem, kahuna, Guzma or Lusamine) between uses.
I had story reasons for limiting Z-moves (to make them more significant and limit the amount of extra powerful moves I used) but I found that for me it wasn't too difficult to avoid using them. (In fact, I think I ended up only using a z-move once. That did make the occasion more significant though.) I think it's a solid idea if you want to try it out to keep yourself from over-using z-moves. Keeping track of the number of battles could be difficult unless you limit it to certain types (or just not count wild battles). Good luck if you try out your rules!

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
Imma drop this over here:
We have main series nuzlockes being told in PMD/trainerless worlds, but what about a dungeonlocke told as a trainer story?
You have my attention, Rubombee. OwO

TerryTheTeryx

Gen Z Degenerate
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Steel
Pokédex Entry
A bizarre Pokémon who dislikes many social activities. She appears to have a penchant for peanut butter and foreign languages.

MouseWithADinosaurTail

A Comedian At Heart
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
She's like a sea urchin. Tough and prickly on the outside, but delicate and easily wounded if hit the wrong way. Please handle gently.
Well, I'd consider trying it out if I had more time and knew how to nuzlocke PMD
Yo, nuzlocking PMD isn't that complex, Ru! Hmu in Tails's discord sometime, I can explain how it works

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
I have a whole twitter thread where I post my orphan Nuzlocke idea, LMFAO. Here, please, orphaned ideas. Let me know if you use them.
  • Close to Home - an egglocke where the only 'mons are route 1 - 2 'mons (Pidgey, Zigzagoon, Bunnelby, etc.)
  • Bait & Switch - a furry fan favorite 'mons only run; or, where the run name comes from: furbait only
  • A chesslocke of Kanto, where the core of the story revolves around a knight fighting Team Rocket; they're trying to sabotage a royal wedding between Kanto and Johto monarchs.
  • Not so Fast - hack in a whole bunch of Lagging Tails; it's mandatory that your Pokemon is holding one.
  • Roll to Die - upon capture of a Pokémon, roll a d6 to determine whether you dump a stat, raise a stat, minmax two opposing stats, even out all stats, add new moves, or remove some moves

Sheepscope

Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
A bed, with wall-to-wall books and a papery carpet
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She and they in no particular order, he very rarely; I'm beginning to think that I'm gender-fluid or flux. I have no clue, and I'm probably overthinking this.
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Constantly in search of the highest challenge, this person takes up the most impractical rulesets.
>>Roll to Die

That reminds me!

Call-locke: (in a Notepad file named Called It)

Only Pokemon who can learn moves that can use called moves in the same turn can join the team, and may only use these moves.

They are as follows:

Metronome
Mirror Move
Sleep Talk
Nature Power
Assist
Me First
Copycat

The rest of the moveset can be whatever you wish.
Breeding and trading are allowed.

To be Born Lucky

Greed: A token is spent to make the Pokemon shiny.
Pride: "" to force every Pokemon to win a Master Rank Beauty Contest before the League. Re-selection turns this off.
Wrath: "" move the grand total of EVs into attacking stats evenly.
Lust: "" make the run a Wedlocke, with pairs being randomly determined. Re-selection turns this off.
Envy: "" to capture your favorite Trainer Pokemon in that stretch.
Sloth: "" to have you write the next chapter without gameplay references.
Gluttony: "" port the team into any PMD game.

Weakest Defenses (I'm working on the Pastebin lists for this one)

Rules
One: Only one member of each of the twelve* selected lines can be caught.
*If rolling the Notepad or Permanent, ignore this number.
Full: If a preevolved form has better defenses than its final evolution, it must evolve as soon as possible.
Limiter: No team member may exceed the current level limit.
Elimination: Any teammate that faints is considered dead and must be released.

Roulette rules
1. None: No added rules
2. Pokedex: Can only catch/evolve to current Gen Pokemon (cannot be selected for RBGY and FRLG main game)
3. Paper-thin: Can only catch quad-weak Pokemon
4. Notepad route clause: Can only catch the weakest Pokemon from each route, with Notepad clause applied
5. Hearts: Two tokens given to each team member; one is removed upon any instance of fainting, a supereffective hit, or a critical hit, and losing both is considered death
6. Balanced: Pair the strongest and weakest in the game together; if one dies, the other must leave the party
7. Palace: Roll a die each turn in battle; this will dictate the type of action taken per turn
8. Absolute: Can only catch the four weakest in HP, Defense, and Special Defense each

5 (Original). 1+: Can only catch Pokemon with a damage percentage of 100 or higher; dupes clause is removed as a mercy measure
8 (Original). Permanent: Each stat drop that occurs to a Pokemon is permanent unless countered by a boost, whereas each stat boost wears off normally (I don't know the AR codes necessarily to do this before the first attack)
11. Inversion: Can only catch the twelve weakest in their weaker stat

Martian

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 26, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Ice
Wizards and Weaviles - A Dungeons and Dragons-esque run inspired by the Borderlands 2 DLC Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep. The Pokemon would represent the adventuring party and each would have a player, so you'd have the GM narrating and the players commenting on the stuff in the background of the story. Kind of a humorous contrast to the seriousness of the plot. I had even planned to try to get other Nuzforum users I knew at the time to write the dialogue for the other in-story players just to make the banter and commentary more unique and interesting rather than writing it all myself.
This intrigues me greatly. I might pick this one up.

"Absolutely Certain"

without a doubt (MD)
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
no pronouns
Pokémon Type
Steel, Cute
Pokédex Entry
Likes to make jokes. Whether or not this Pokemon's jokes are funny, the jokes are not funny.
hello everyone i will visit this thread an UNGODLY amount of times so be prepared... if y'all know runs that explore my concepts, PLEASE let me know! i already know at least a handful of runs follow these but i haven't read them and i can't remember their titles...

CONCEPTS
  1. ) A run with a more positive spin/outlook on death! Not just "oh these guys are dead, let's check out their dead life," but more honoring traditions of death and respecting the dead rather than bemoaning and being solemn about it. I think it'd be a fun exercise, or at least an informative research dive...! I wanna see more "death treated as a good thing," and not just a "oh this bad person is dead :D." Let's see a, "this good person is dead, let's celebrate their life."
  2. ) where is it. the anthro runs
  3. ) AND THE RUNS THAT CONSIDER MORE REALISTIC TRAVELING CONCERNS....... supply runs, weather conditions, etc that impact the plot. A path that's delayed because it rained the other day and it'd be too inconvenient to walk through the mud. Having to find places to stay, shower, eat, etc. Money management... realism babey!
  4. ) I wanna see some runs with more object-esque Pokemon used... maybe a tsukumogami-based run?!
  5. ) I'd also like to see more real animals used in runs, just for funsies! What would their place be in the world? Are they mythical? Commonplace? Do they hold a niche in their world, or are they being ushered out by the more intelligent, powerful Pokemon?
  6. ) I also LOVE me some prose that evaluates Magic vs. Realism, and its coexistence. Magic being used for everyday solutions, and everyday solutions being used in magic. I'd love to see something that explores that, intermingles the regular life with the extraordinary life, and their places in each other's worlds. Do they belong together, or should they be kept separate? Is it a mix of both? Gotta love the Balancing Elements, bro...
  7. ) GIMY MORE HIGH FANTASY AND EXTREME SCI-FI... like, I get the vaguely low-tech and high-tech that most nuzlockes employ, but I'd like to see runs that lean into their time periods and make them plot relevant. Oh no, I'm going to die of Plague! Oh no, I'm stuck in the vacuum of space! PLEAS GIMY
  8. ) Pokemon are commonplace... what about narratives where Pokemon are completely alien—not just to the protagonist (maybe the protagonist is even familiar w/them in the beginning!), but to the world as a whole. Did they just... emerge??? Do Pokemon hide themselves from the "normal" world? Or is humanity hiding from the Pokemon world?
    > please give me aliens for the love of god GIVE ME POKEMON ALINES
  9. ) BRO OK BUT A RUN WHERE THE DIVIDE BETWEEN HUMANS & POKEMON STARTED TO OCCUR............. SLAPPING
RULESETS
  1. ) FUCK YOU the nuzlocke
    a. Every time you catch a Pokemon, roll a d100 twice.
    > The lower bound is the level you must train your Pokemon before you use it.
    > The upper bound is the level, if reached, you must dispose of the Pokemon.

b. Only catch the mons of with the lowest BST on the route.
    > This does not apply to the entire line, unless you want it to.
    > No dupes clause.

c. Every gym, sacrifice your highest-leveled mon OR the mon with the highest amount of experience points.
    > The latter applies only if the former has multiple mons.

d. Notepad rules. Use whatever.

e. i am considering more rules to make this even more hellish but please give me ideas

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)