• Ash has been all over the news lately and this site is no exception! Check out Ashes to Ashes, the latest featured run!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our new Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • Happy tapaversary, Guest! It's been about a year since the Tapatalk Takeover; if you'd like to make a donation to us to celebrate the fact that we tapped out of that site, please click here.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about the new Critique Level Tags!
  • The second episode of Nuzlocke City Radio is here! Tune in for our discussion on the history and analysis of gijinkas, catch up on the biggest forum news, and we finally settle the score between Team Aqua and Team Magma in The Debatelockers!

Screenshot Kalos General Commentary Never Stop No Healing: No Healing Y

Thread Description
Live Fast, Die Young, Pray Often, Heal Never. Update 21: Suicide Squad II: The Squaddening

Rainbow Robin

Going Teamless
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
A secret bunker, just off Route 2, next to Greggs
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
Him
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Flying
Tapatalk is dead. Long live Xenforo.

Welcome, ladies, gentlemen and trainers who prefer no specific gender identifier, to a continuation of a promise. A very, very old promise made all the way back in 2017 when I promised a sequel to No Healing Platinum, my greatest achievement on the old forums. An attempt was made but an emulator crapped out so nothing happened, and production stalled out.

No longer.

Untitled.png

(There will be a proper image later, when my girlfriend is awake and I've sent her enough cat photos to convince her to draw me one, but this is a short notice post so we're flying by the seat of our pants here.)

For new initiates to No Healing, the standard description is as follows...

Past Rainbow Robin said:
If, by anything I could avoid, a pokemon on my team gains HP it had lost, the run is void.

This means no healing. Ever. No centres. No depositing in the PC. No items. No passive healing abilities like a Dry Skin Croagunk. No using the HP restoring O-Power. No Leech Life, Dream Eater, Absorb, Drain Punch. Not even Heal Balls.

I may only heal at the sparse points throughout the game it is impossible to avoid. These are, to the best of my knowledge: after the first Shauna fight, after a gauntlet of Team Flare in the Power Plant, after catching Yveltal, after defeating Tierno on the bridge adjacent to Snowbelle Town, and after defeating Diantha. As far as I know, these are the only moments that I am allowed to heal.
I was so dramatic 3 years ago.

1: If a Pokemon faints, the Pokemon is dead and must be put into the PC forever, only withdrawn for field purposes (Surfing, Flying, etc)
2: If a Pokemon recovers HP from any source I can avoid (use of items, pokemon centres, etc) it must also be boxed forever.
3: First catch rule applies as standard.
4: There are other half-rules I'll discuss as we play and as they come up, but that's not so important.

Oh, BTW, I'm Denacious T from the old forums, but please call me Robin now. I came out, I picked it, so this is my new identity. I've taken several years kicking about in Storylockes, and now I'm here with another Screenshot run now I got an emulator working. Here's hoping it's one of many!

Fair warning; the images are gonna be big. 3DS' native resolution is 400pxX240, for the top screen only, and the bottom screen makes it 400x480... which is the same size as a DS image, now I think of it, with only a little extra size from the top screen.

0001.png 0002.png

So we're off, and we're playing as the Female MC this time. I've upscaled the 3DS graphics because that's a thing you can do in Citra, but it means the images are kinda massive. This is native 1200px wide. It's fine. There's not going to be much by way of actual pokemonning this update because y'know, it's the first one, but it should contain just as much strategising as a No Healing Run from yours truly begs.

0005.png 0006.png

Here we see something that's a bit funky, possibly just my rom playing up with the lighting. The cutscene world of Kalos is in silhouette form, and Calem has black marks on his cheeks. I think it's an anime thing, but it's probably a bad texture that just fails to load. I can't do anything about it, but it's not affecting much. Just... consider Calem to be a very extra human, with tracksuit and warpaint as daily attire.

0007.png

Yknow, I really like the Chibis. They disappeared for Gen 7 but I much prefer them to the gangly models that were used.

0008.png

There are no pokemon on Vaniville Pathway, or route 1. It's just a straight connection to Aquacorde Town, which is kinda nice I guess but begs the question of why the action doesn't just start in Vaniville. There's a lot there that never gets seen because it's just unnecessary.

0009.png 0010.png

The 5 people here are the rivals in this game (well, 4 and me, but Calem and Serena swap depending on the boy/girl choice). Tierno is the scariest, as there's an unavoidable battle with him right after an absolute hellscape of a fight and he loves spamming Swords Dance, providing a solid obstacle we're going to need to work out a way past. Shauna battles you twice in the game, I think, and Trevor is the same, with a team of quite weak Pokemon. Trevor's heair is only the orange bit, by the way, he's not wearing really big white headphones.

If you see a drop in image quality here, I've had to manually resize and host elsewhere since Xenforo is limited to 10 images posted per page. It's fine, I'll find a better workaround in the future, but... anyway, this little hiccup stepped on a perfectly good dirty joke.

Nothing sums it up better, though. These 4 rivals will refer to us by this name most of the time, which is a fun addition if a rather pointless one.

Now comes the actual plot, and the decision time. What starter to go for?

Fennekin, Fennekin, Fennekin. I really want to use a fire-type starter in one of these, but Fennekin is not the one. Unlike Infernape before it, it has decent defensive stats, but that comes with the payoff of having a pretty shallow movepool. It can dip into Psychic and Fire but that's about it, with occasional investement in Fairy but that's not easy to get to. While Fire-types are quite rare in Kalos, far rarer than Grass and Water, I just can't justify Fennekin. The first gym leader, while ostensibly being Bug-type, leads with a Surskit to wrongfoot Fire-type starters and I'm not sure Fennekin is prepared for that.

Froakie is the golden goose of Kalos starters, as Greninja is everywhere. In Smash Bros, in the live-action movies, getting a special form that's now disappeared altogether... The issue with it in-game is that what makes it so amazing isn't present, and it's hard pressed to need Water-type coverage in Kalos. Rock types are found in scant few areas, and there's a lot of Fighting-types to better handle it. Even the Rock-type gym leader has several ways past Water-types, such as Freeze Dry and Tyrunt being neutral to Water. Froakie is a good water pokemon, but not the one I need.

Chespin is the one for us, and for a few reasons. If, by some magic, we can keep it alive until it becomes Chesnaught it will get access to Spiky Shield, a protect that deals damage if attacked which is undoubtedly very useful. It also gets the ability to punch holes in the first gym leader with amazing early-game typing, accessing Bite and Rollout before level 11. Rollout is all we need for Viola. And finally, Bulbasaur (which we can be gifted in Lumiose) is pretty poor to us as it gets its ability hampered by its use of draining moves. Chespin doesn't get any, so Chespin and a different typed Kanto starter allows us a lot more choice type-wise later on.

Couldn't resist. In honour of the new board, Xen the Chespin will take on Kalos!

Calem with a Fennekin is kinda dangerous, as it gives him Fire and Psychic coverage later on when otherwise he'd be stuck with pretty poor coverage off Chesnaught's Seed Bomb/Bite combo and Greninja's very embarrassing Water Shuriken/Quick Attack set, but a Light Screen can shut him out like nothing else. Plus, I'm pretty sure I can guarantee some coverage against him whenever I need from fishing.

Chespin's stats. Xen is Jolly, which is a good omen. That's quite a good nature. Speed isn't dreadfully important, but it doesn't reduce anything bad. I'd have liked Impish but we don't get to choose it, do we.

Shauna is the first battle, and she uses Froakie.

And the first damage of the run, too. Now, she outsped here even with the speed boosting nature on Xen, which is worrying, but Froakie has nearly double Chespin's base speed, so it's not too bad. This doesn't count, as it'll be healed as soon as the fight's over.

Free level from Froakie. It's not a great level, with only 1 across the board, but it's fine. There's no EVs at this point yet.

Well, that's that. A detour back home gets cut out, and we get to explore the rest of Aquacorde and the route beyond it. Route 2 has pokemon on it, so that's where we're going.

A man is kind enough to give us free money, and so Victoria ponders the moonlight on the bridge. There's no day/night cycle in this game as far as encounters are concerned, so Kricketot is not an issue we have to worry about. We have our own massive set of problems to handle.

This grass contains, on the second row of tiles, a forced Pidgey. It always appears no matter the game, and so Pidgey Clause was invented to disqualify it as the route's catch. However, you don't have Pokeballs at this point so you don't need to fight it under nuzlocke rules anyway. I, however, want to. Forced encounters are so rare in this game, as the wild grass in Route 2 contains, off the top of my head, 6 different lines. Pidgey, Fletchling, Scatterbug, Caterpie, Bunnelby and Zigzagoon. We can't chain catches together to get an Abra in this game, unfortunately.

We go back and get Pokeballs, and now the run is really going. Well, it's been going already, but this is now officially a nuzlocke. Let's go get a Pidgey.

The grass before this appears won't give any encounter, so there's nothing to worry about. This is our Pidgey, our first catch, Amanda. It's pretty daunting, the task ahead of her, but she has a very special purpose in this run. She's out to save our bacon, in the future.

Closing out with Amanda's stats. Timid isn't great, as it's a way off until she gets Gust, but it's not a bad nature for someone whose grinding is going to consist of spamming special Flying-type moves at local insects. I won't compain about Jolly and Timid natures in update one.

Using CIAs with Citra doesn't seem to offer Savestates, so I have to save the game like this. This should help reassure people there's no savestate jiggery-pokery going on, as each update will end with us saving the game. Let's see if this run goes anywhere on Xenforo. Let's hope it is possible.

And there's update one! There's no update schedule here, so keep an eye out. This doesn't take too long to put together, I did this update in the space of 1 hour 20 minutes including gameplay, plus 40 minutes to edit it into a usable shape and build up the courage to hit the post button, so I can do this as and when I feel like. As Xenforo sticks around, it'll take a more professional shape such as a proper cover and proper signature space, but in the meantime I think cobbled-together-from-nothing is a good aesthetic for where the run's at these days.

Attachments

Last edited:

Paine

The doctorate is in pain.
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/him; they/them; she/her
Pokémon Type
Psychic, ???
Pokédex Entry
It never quite knows what it's doing. Yet, somehow, things still get done.
Off to a nice start! I would say, ‘ah, Kalos is one of the easiest regions, you’ll do fine’ but. A: ahaha... and B: Kalos is like 90% cheese and a 10% absolute murder that’s far too well spread out. Godspeed on this journey, and may you at least make it to the endgame xD

Second

Demon from the World Chalice
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
They / Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is known to wander off mid-conversation, annoying everyone involved.
You’re right this really is utter madness. You absolute madperson. Good luck out there, you’re gonna need it. I’m excited to see how far you can get!

fluffyspy

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
Man, I can't even begin to imagine doing a no-healing run. That sounds like way too much stress for me. Sure is fun watching you do it, though! Out of curiosity, are you going to use the exp. share? I'd say you've earned it, given how rough your ruleset is already.

Uberle

Lur King
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
Stays in the distortion dimension where no one bother him
No healing
Well this is certainly going to be a lot of fun to watch

Xurkitree

'Dabs like a true gamer'
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Naughty
Pronouns
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Pokémon Type
Electric, Fire
Its been 3000 years....

IVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR TWO YEARS LETS GO

Rainbow Robin

Going Teamless
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
Him
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Flying
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, while dicking about, I went and corrupted the save. Thankfully, I know how not to do that, so we're starting from scratch with next to nothing lost. Only some very good natures on our starter and forced catch bird.

Oh, and I got a banner made by my girlfriend who I don't think recieved enough cat pictures to take it seriously.

I mean... I do strongly appreciate her sense of humour. Now excuse me while I go and trawl /r/floof for more bribery material. In the meantime, have a new update, this time using the Accordion feature rather than spoilers for a more impressive cascade than tiny green boxes.

Update 2: You Fool, I Have Seventy Alternative Saves

Oh, and I hurried through it and we're black now.

I'm hurrying through the early game so much, let's just skip ahead to getting the Chespin again. No need for long introductions.

We get our Chespin again after our disappearing act with the save files. There's some minor differences between Earth-1 Chespin and Earth-2 Chespin, such as the names.

This was taken just before the Shauna battle, which went the same way it always does - we win and level up, and we get fully healed for the next go round. There's no need to go over it, now we're back on track.

We don't need to buy 5 Pokeballs this time. One will do fine, seeing as we get 6 for free in the next zone.

This twat...

Ok so... I completely forgot to get a screenshot again for Amanda. It's exactly the same, a level 3 Pidgey. Anyway, at the end of this route is a level 5 Zigzagoon. They are very happy to spam Growl and Tail Whip, but it's still a big risk. We need to kill off this Zigzagoon, but we need to do it safely. Level 7 is only one KO off, but we need the stats to drop it in two turns, to try and keep the Zigzagoon from dealing damage. If we take hits, we can't box pokemon to restore their PP.

So... we need to boost Chespin's stats a bit. It has the green ball, so a charged shot does about 100-200 damage to the balloons. I don't want to fully EV train every pokemon we have, because that will honestly take ages and at Chespin's level, it won't have any effect. All I want Chespin to do is beat every super training level up to the third set.

Here's us after the Super Training. We need access to the top row, where we get 12 EVs per beaten balloon. Of course, this only translates to 3 stat points per training regimen at level 100, but the important thing is that we can boost pokemon EVs with minimal effort, which I hope is enough to get us through the early game hell. No Healing Runs level out massively once we get to the end of the beginning, which in XY will probably be the time we get the Coastal Pokedex. Up to then, a single botched battle will put us down 50% of our total health. Stat buffs are definitely good enough to abuse right now.

This is likely where we're going to take the first hit of the run. The Zigzagoon we murdered earlier was lower in level and didn't have trainer AI backing it up, so it may as well have rolled a dice between Growl and Tackle. While Austin does have an extra move in Tail Whip, he will likely try and tackle us after Growling at us to make the battle take an extra turn. Why? Because he's a dick.

So he led with Growl as expected, but followed it up with Tail Whip. We might have got very lucky here and the AI decides that dropping my stats is far more important than actually capitalising.

This is the cumulative damage of 2 Vine Whips, and it decides to stack an extra Growl onto it and waste its last turn. It has consistently outsped Chespin and failed to make any use of its higher speed. Chespin, in hindsight, may not be the best choice for a starter. It is so, so slow.

Now, with Austin beaten, we can access Santalune Forest. In here, we have a few nice catches, but honestly it's not going to be used for ages. Unless we roll lucky and pull a Pikachu, we're not going to be needing what we get here for the gym battle. Fletchling, the Elemental Monkeys... no, those are wasted catches. I picked Y for a special reason, one that honestly isn't quite worth it now I think about it. We lose out on Xerneas' Geomancy (and white herbs are easy to come by) and get Yveltal, whose signature move is banned for healing a whopping 75% of its damage.

Thankfully, we roll lucky. In Y, we have a 24% chance of landing the Caterpie line compared to X's 10. I don't want a Weedle or Kakuna, we need Caterpie. Add the 6% Pikachu roll to this and Santalune Forest had a 70% chance of giving us something guff.

I asked in Bug's stream what to name the Caterpie, and Jim said 'Toodles' but I can't tell if that was Jim departing or if it was an actual suggestion so screw it, meet Toodles.

In the forest, I take a bit of time to grind up Mr. X. It's a dumb risk, very very dumb. Pikachu knows Thundershock from birth, and also can Static to paralyse us. If we take damage, we can't PC heal, which means every paralysis until we get Cheri Berries en masse is a chunk out of the bank account.

Mind you, we do get a free one off Shauna here. Her words are 'I'm very good at solving puzzles' which passes for foreshadowing that she'll unlock a door in the Flare Base later. It's really shoddy writing like this that makes people hate this region, which makes me sad.

Calem gives us a free Pokeball, which is why I don't need to buy more than 1 to get Amanda. There's honestly no problem with this rival besides being underdeveloped. Now, I'm hurrying through this forest. In a normal game I just let Shauna heal pokemon and get everyone to level 10, but there's a huge issue with that - we can't heal at all, and any damage grinding is permanent unless they're still in the team between gym 4 and 5.

Anna, named lovingly after an Italian dish of carbs on a plate, is the only other forced trainer we encounter before Santalune itself. She has a level 5 Pikachu, who abides by the same rules as Austin's Zigzagoon. 2 non-attack moves, 1 attack. Hers, however, can paralyse us.

We didn't get paralysed turn one, just Tail Whip, a useless move considering Pikachu doesn't know any physical moves yet.

Ah, but the streak was not to be. The clock is ticking now for Mr. X. He will be unable to be boxed until the battle with Team Flare in the Power Plant, at about level 35. He could survive to then, but that's unlikely. 2hp damage consigns him to the grave.

He levels up, so his health hasn't actually decreased, but his max health now outstrips his current. It's all about perspective. At this point I say I could pump him full of HP EVs and cause him to gain so much he has a longer lease of life. I could, yes, but that feels a bit cheesy. Maybe down the line, but not right now. At level 9, however, Chespin get Rollout. He now can pretty much sweep the gym leader, but he'll need another couple of levels to be safe enough.

Sun sets as we escape the forest and head to Santalune. Tierno wants us to heal really badly, but we need a catch on route 3. Unlike Viridian Forest, which Santalune steals a map from, it connects two different routes, so we get a new encounter here.

Ah, dupes clause. The thing with this route is that the numbers are much more in our favour. The only things I don't want are Fletchling and Burmy. Bidoof learns Rollout level 13, so within Viola's immediate proximity. Bunnelby can be traded for a Farfetch'd that speedrunners use to rip Viola in half. Pikachu has coverage against all Viola's team. Dunsparce comes with Rollout, so it's even more useful, and Azurill come with 3 perfect IVs and the possibility of Huge Power, doubling a future attack stat up to base 100.

With all that promise, I'm almost sad to get a Bidoof. Still, it's the first of the No Healing Platinum pokemon to be repeated in the new world of Xenforo. Even if Terrence and Nelleh were utter death fodder who both died off-panel because they were forgettable in gen 4. Not so much in gen 6. There are big things in Terrence's future.

He did, however, put up quite a fight. Bidoof only know Tackle at this level, so he hurt Mr. X a lot. 2/3 of his health remains, which isn't a great amount to take on Viola with. There is, after all, 2 more guaranteed fights between us and her.

Thankfully, to round us out, Terrence Jr's stats are pretty good. The better ability, and an attack boosting nature. This could be very promising...
Bonus

Our priorities are in order.

Sheepscope

Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
A bed, with wall-to-wall books and a papery carpet
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She or they
Pokémon Type
Ice, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Constantly in search of the highest challenge, this person takes up the most impractical rulesets.
Azurill gets 3 perfect IVs?!? Where the heck is that?!?

Nicely done, avoiding too much damage!

Rainbow Robin

Going Teamless
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
Him
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Flying
Baby Pokemon in Gen VI do if caught in the wild. If I had to guess, It's a holdover from the poorly-implemented 3IV legendaries, turned into 3IV for anything in the No Eggs egg group caught wild, but they forgot that Baby Pokemon are in that group too. Catching wild Azurill and Mime Jr therefore yields 3IV pokemon. This was fixed in later games but remains in XY

Sheepscope

Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
A bed, with wall-to-wall books and a papery carpet
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She or they
Pokémon Type
Ice, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Constantly in search of the highest challenge, this person takes up the most impractical rulesets.
Wait, so that would also include Nidorina on Route 11 (crosses fingers you get one)! Where did you hear about this?

kittenrobotarmy

FIYA EMBUREM
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Has dedicated her life to the Blue Lions + Marianne and considers them her children.
I remember when you first started the Platinum run, and now you're back with Y. Color me hyped because this is gonna be a ride.

Arbitrary

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
Chespin is the best Kalos starter, but this is going to be nuts since there's so few places you're forced to heal and I doubt he'll get overly far. Also Fighting types in this game are scarier than in any other. They almost always have coverage out the ass including Rock Tomb and Poison Jab. Korrina is weirdly the easiest to deal with of all Fighting types, a running trend where gym leaders are piss easy and ordinary trainers can be deceptively tough.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
:0 Team Chibi!

Yeah, Kalos Route 1 is... strange. I hate it. :) Especially since they introduce Pokemon leaping out of bushes later, and guess what route has bushes but no Pokemon in them?

Welcome to the adventure, Xen! Although shouldn't he be named Tapa, since his chances of long-term survival aren't great? 🤔
What did I say!? :0 That banner is perfection.

Oh my God, I forgot Super Training was a thing. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Well, I'm glad Super Training is a thing. So long, Youngster Austin! And hello, Toodles! Whose name is also perfection.

Her words are 'I'm very good at solving puzzles' which passes for foreshadowing that she'll unlock a door in the Flare Base later.
What!? That was supposed to be foreshadowing!? I... I need to sit down...

Yes, your priorities are in order. Sit down, Terrence Jr., and marvel at your tactician.

Rainbow Robin

Going Teamless
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
Him
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Flying
ROUND THREE

Some manner of insanity is necessary, and some manner of humble pie and ability to admit when a call was a bad one. This is one of those updates. In my defence, perseverance is a virtue, right?

Part 3: The New Red Deal

So... bear with me while I explain why we're back at this screen again.

I made what we masters of the dark arts refer to as a blunder. I got very absorbed with the idea of a Chespin sweep of the gym using Rollout, and failed to consider the other options. I dismissed Fennekin as 'having a pretty shallow movepool. It can dip into Psychic and Fire but that's about it, with occasional investement in Fairy but that's not easy to get to.' and weak to the first gym leader's Surskit without considering that A: ok, the movepool is a bad spot but it's not the worst (also I was wrong about Fairy, Fennekin can't learn any fairy type moves until moved to ORAS for Dazzling Gleam, but it gets Shadow Ball by level up) and B: Fennekin doesn't need to fight Viola's Surskit at all.

This is Fink. Now, the second part of the New Red Deal is going to be in getting a good encounter before the gym leader. There are, on the coming routes, a total of 14 different pokemon. We can catch three of them. Of those 14... I'd say about 8 are good against the gym, and three of those (Dunsparce, Pikachu, Bunnelby-traded-for-Quacklin') are instant win conditions.

Fink has the right sort of nature, too. Less special defence than is ideal, but that's not a drawback. My plan was to use the Pidgey to, once it evolved and gained Twister, farm Leppa Berries from red trees on Route 8, but the issue of that is that actually, red trees appear about 1/6 of the time and drop a Leppa Berry only 1/6 of the time on top of that. So, with a 1/36 chance of getting the appropriate berry... Pidgeotto will be dead of scratch damage long before that. So, we need to abandon Pidgey as our plan.

Kil Chespin, as is necessary, but we now need to ignore the Pokeballs and thus skip past the Pidgey encounter. It'll still appear, but we can just kill it and get the next encounter once we have Pokeballs.

We could have caught PIdgey, but the dice can suit us better if we allow it to roll. Sure, Pidgey can be useful, but the route breaks down thus; Pidgey, Fletchling, Bunnelby, Zigzagoon, Scatterbug and Caterpie. Of those, the only one that won't be an absolute boon is Zigzagoon, and Bunnelby is a win condition for the first gym by way of an in-game trade.

Scatterbug. Ok, not too bad. We can evolve this one with few problems, especially if we wait until after the gym battle. Vivillon is one of the most useful early-game bugs (not counting the Gen 5 ones, who are a bit too late to count in my opinion). It has a good movepool, good attacking stats and a good ability, either defensively or offensively.

Ability's the worse of the two, and nature's not great until we get there, though. As far as the name goes, she's got Bette Davis eyes. We'll probably leave her in back until we can Burmy-grind her to being a good pokemon. We still have 3 different encounters to get before the gym.

Here's why we pick Fennekin - Fennekin absolutely destroys the early route. Chespin was on death row before we left the forest because he couldn't be grinded up to the top tiers of early game, but Fink can OHKO most of route 2, as well as all the bugs and one of the monkeys in the forest. It's definitely a better choice of move than Vine Whip.

This is Fink before we even have to fight the trainer's Zigzagoon.

We did still take a turn, but he chose to spend it Tail Whipping away and not actually hurting us. We can thus enter the forest damage-free, an absolute treasure.

Part of the reason I didn't choose to carry on Victoria, instead refreshing for Elizabeth, was that I forgot this Paralyse Heal was in the bag and thus I fed Mr. X into several battles believing I couldn't undo the paralysis. My mistake, I should really not be distracted playing the game.

Hm. Pansear is not an ideal encounter, seeing as we have Fire-type coverage already. Honestly, I don't like the elemental monkeys at all, so I'm not too sad that we're not going to get too much use out of this one.

Meet Ziggy. He has the wrong nature for his species but the right nature for our undertaking. He won't be leaving the forest, sadly. The forced Pikachu encounter is too dangerous to feed Fink to, not when we have to grind our way to be ready for Viola. I think we're going to throw Ziggy at Lass Anna and hope for the best.

We started out promising, as though Ziggy could actually make it through. Unfortunately, Growl here dragged the battle out for longer than was safe for us.

It was only a matter of time. As the number of attacks needed to put Pikachu down increased, so did the chances for Static to take over. Pikachu knocked Ziggy out soon after, but he did his work. He beat Pikachu up enough that we can kill it with Fink without any fear for our life.

This concludes the forest. We can get a route 3 catch, and if it's a good one, we can go straight to the gym without messing about on route 22.

Route 3 is home to Pikachu, which would be ideal, as well as Dunsparce and Bidoof, who are both very good options. There are also Burmy and Azurill, neither very helpful to us at this stage in the game. There are also Pidgey, Fletchling and Bunnelby, who I've already talked about the viability of.

While I did want that Bunnelby, I'm not upset with getting a Fletchling here. She can pretty safely be turned to the right level by murdering wild Burmy, and she is one of the more useful counters to Viola's pokemon team. Her fire type hasn't kicked in yet, so Water Sport does nothing.

Here's Ilyana, with a pretty rough nature. The gym will mostly use special moves, so less defence against them will definitely hurt. Still, beggars can't be choosers. I reckon we don't need to go to route 22 with this team.

In the Santalune City pokemon centre, they sell X Items. Had I kept Terrence, I'd have used these to take advantage of Simple, but I don't think they're necessary this time. Perhaps if I need to use a friendship evolution later on, but as of right now I don't need the buff.

This woman keeps route 22 on hard lockdown, otherwise I'd buff the team up further. Now, I need to box the dead before we go to the gym.

Ziggy is the first pokemon of the run to die, and definitely not the last. The next forced healing point is in Lumiose, after the Sycamore battle (I mistakenly thought that battle didn't heal you, it just does it quietly) and after that it's a long run to the next. Those four gyms, including a Wobbuffet Cave, are going to extract a very heavy toll on our team.

So begins the delicate business of Burmy murdering. The bagworm pokemon can't attack, only protect, but we get roughly 4 moves to deal damage in before it starts struggling. Plus, the exp yielded is one of the lower ones. It's not actually dreadful, but trainer pokemon are much faster and I'm doing this under a time limit to keep the run from sticking in Santalune forever.

Here's where we stand after murdering everything in sight. Amazingly, we didn't take any damage even after switching to non-Burmy pokemon. We had a paralysis scare from a trainer's Pichu having Static proc, but nothing more. The leader is level 12, but I expect both Ilyana and Fink to level up inside the gym itself. We just need to beat up the Roller Skater first and we can get inside.

Unfortunately, Ilyana took a scratch fighting Rinka's Zigzagoon. We'll have to see how she can handle the gym. I'd hate to lose her with a forced heal just around the corner.

I remembered these before I went in. They're free and are worth picking up, at least.

I'm going to stop here, because this update is massive, but I'm in a much better situation than I was with the previous attempts. Now, third time's the charm, let's drop Viola. Do we pull it off? Yes, because I've got the next 4 updates ready to go because I don't want to have to restart *again*, but... just pretend to be in suspense, please.

---EDIT---

I got paranoid nobody would read the update if no progress was discernably made, so...

Part 4: Should London Calling Fight the Casbah

This is Lass Charlotte, and she milks the Charlotte's Web jokes a lot for someone who has no spider pokemon.

Fletchling versus Kakuna. This would look like an easy fight, but despite having Harden, Charlotte loves to spam Poison Sting and being poisoned here would cripple us, so so badly.

Thankfully, I'm proven wrong. One Peck dealt this much damage and she decides to hit us with Harden instead, just killing her Kakuna rather than fight.

We get the kill very easily, and a level up from it as well.

This puts us nearly on par with Viola. We won't be at Vivillon level, but we should have the right sort of power to drop Vivillon quite easily.

This Combee is a pain in the rear. On top of mocking us with the smug red mark, it also knows exactly the right move to use to annoy every run I've done. Combee have a base 30 special attack, which should not do as much damage as this Combee consistently does with gust.

This one took Ilyana down to 22 hp. Not bad, not great. It died for its troubles, thankfully, and now Viola is the only trainer remaining in the gym we need to fight.

I brought all three, so if we lose here we're bollocked regardless. It won't happen, though. We're on top of things. If I'd boxed Scatterbug I'd have got an achievement - trophy, I mean - for fighting a gym leader with a team equal in number to their own. Ah well, I have another run planned to grind out as many trophies as possible for it.

Now, prepare for a lot of screenshots with very bare bones commentary on them, because I was spamming CTRL+P every other second in this fight. I even paused The Clash to pay 100% attention, and I love The Clash.

Surskit out first, and it prepares to protect Vivillon. I don't intend on bringing Fink in until the Water Sport has worn off.

As expected, striking with the moves that work is the go-to plan. We hurt Surskit badly with Peck, and got me thinking. Surskit is faster, but I don't think using Quick Attack would kill here.

This much damage was done from a base 105 move, when adjusted for STAB and SE. Quick Attack is only 60, but if it survives I'll look very silly.

I elected to use Peck, and was happy to see that I was right. Quick Attack would not only have failed to kill, but gone second anyway.

A now level 12 Pikipeck stares down the barrel of Vivillon. We have a few turns left until Water Sport wears off, so we need to keep Ilyana in for a bit.

This is where the lower special defence comes into play against Ilyana. Infestation is a problem, as now Ilyana can't be switched out. It's a no-win situation. Had I brought in Fink, Fink's Ember would have had to wait for two or three turns to become useful and we just can't sit on that time, when being whittled down by Infestation. This looks like the end for Ilyana, and all we can do is keep Pecking until she goes.

For reference, this is the damage done by a single Peck. It's not going to be enough...

If Infestation didn't trap you, I'd switch Ilyana out. The Water Sport has just worn off, but she's locked in against the Vivillon. It's curtains for the bird, sadly enough.

Fink comes in, hell-bent on vengeance...

The Vivillon gets off one infestation, for a little bit of chip damage but not a lot. This will put Fink into the 'oh no, now I can't be restored' situation, but Sycamore is right around the corner.

The Vivillon is beaten, and with it, Viola. We get the first gym badge here, and... well, it's a bit of a hollow victory. Killing half our party members to get here isn't what I wanted, but I knew it's what needed to be done. Infestation is a killer in No Healing runs.

Now, Bug Badge in hand, we need to hurry north to Sycamore in Lumiose. There's a catch or two beforehand, because if we can be healed up like that, why not go and get some training in? But that's next time. See you then!

Last edited:

QuietGuardian

🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
Let's hope third time's the charm. Good luck! I'll be watching this crazy ride!

Bowser's Family Vacation

Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
I knew Infestation was an oof, but in a no healing run... It's a super oof.

I'm glad that Professor Sycamore is a heal, though! Now that you have Fink, I wonder which Kanto starter you'll pick..?

kittenrobotarmy

FIYA EMBUREM
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Ground
Pokédex Entry
Has dedicated her life to the Blue Lions + Marianne and considers them her children.
You can do it yes you can

👏 👏 👏

Thirteenth

Number XIV
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
The reason she guides people all the way down to the mountain's base is that she wants them to hurry up and leave.
YES I am here for this. Sorry to see Ilyana go, but sacrifices need to be made... Not much room to grow attached to anyone here. :(

Fennekin is maybe not the best Kalos starter gameplay-wise normally, but it's still my favorite one and I'm happy to see it here. Fink probably won't make it but I'll still hope.

io_

typically has writer's block
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/she please :)
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This friendly ghost lurks around old haunts and sites of interest, and likes to say hi. (Profile pic came from https://picrew.me/image_maker/114808)
this is extremely brave and i could never do it, take that fennekin as far as you can

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)