• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Written Story Screenshot Mixed Media [MW2] Fraidy Cat

Thread Description
A nervous weeb's descent into hell, or something hell-adjacent

HalfTimeShow

A big ol' dumbo
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Poison
Pokédex Entry
What the diddly heckin darn is goin on here
MIRROR WORLD 2: THE COWARD

This is my first real story-driven run, so I'm a little nervous, but I'm excited to learn as I go. Note: may have weird tonal whiplash throughout, I used to be into Homestuck so my sense of humor and tone is permanently skewed.

1. Fainting is death.
2. First encounter in a route is your catch. Dupes clause is on.
3. Bullshit clause is valid through the first checkpoint of the game.
4. Play on Set
Name Theme: Pastries and desserts
THE COWARD: Pokemon that Marisa deems "too scary" cannot be used, they must be skipped if they're the first encounter and any Pokemon that evolves into a particularly frightening form must be boxed as soon as possible. What Pokemon are particularly "scary" will be decided on a case-by-case basis, and may include Pokemon that are large, intimidating, or formerly Bug/Dark/Ghost type. I will play it by ear for the most part, because some of those can be really cute. If a "scary" Pokemon is the first encounter, Marisa can catch the first non-frightening Pokemon she encounters instead. If a route has nothing but "scary" Pokemon there is no catch for the route.

Dark.

So dark.

There’s something there. Marisa can hear it breathing, like it’s right next to her, but she can’t turn around to look at it. She tries to squeeze her eyes shut, to try and block out the sound of the breathing, but her body refuses to cooperate, her eyelids remaining rigidly open and fixed on the black void in front of her. She tries to scream, her lungs forcing out all their air in a vain attempt to call for help, but all that comes out is a strained squeak.

The breathing intensifies, and she feels a cold pressure slide over her shoulders. Marisa involuntarily shudders as the weight of SOMETHING drapes over her, as if whatever is there is leaning against her. The thing draped over her slides along her shoulder and down her arm, coiling around it like a cold serpent, until something distinctly hand-like clasps Marisa’s own hand. The being whispers to her, its cold breath blowing directly in her ear.

This isn’t as bad as you’re making it out to be! Honestly, you can be such a drama queen.

The voice is playful and peppy, an odd contrast to the nightmarish location and disgusting aura its owner gives off. Rather than calm her down, the out of place voice only makes Marisa panic more. She desperately tries to throw it off of her, or run away, or do ANYTHING, but she can’t move a single muscle. Tears start to stream down her face as she realizes she might be about to die, and a choked sob somehow forces its way out of her throat. Seemingly sensing her distress, the being chuckles softly, and Marisa feels something press into her cheek. She realizes the being is poking her cheek playfully with its other hand. It suddenly ruffles her hair roughly, like someone messing with a child.

Aw, don’t you worry, pal! Everything will be a-okay, as long as you cooperate with the game we have planned for you~.

Marisa has barely any time to wonder what the creature is talking about before she feels a sudden lurch, like the entire world has suddenly shifted. The weight is suddenly gone from her shoulders as her still-paralyzed form begins to fall, deeper and deeper into the endless void. Sounding as if it’s far behind her, the voice calls out a farewell as she plummets into infinity.

Have a nice trip, friend! It’s gonna be a BLAST, I guarantee it~!

THUD

W-what the hell?

Last edited:

Master Bryss

zd zd
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Their body is made of an intricate and interconnected weave of their own puns.
Something's gonna go dooown~

Hahahahaha sense of humour skewed, I know that feeling all too well.

There's just something about a sugar-laced villain, isn't there? Sounds like sweetness and then... oof.

(On a side note, the black and purple is a little eye-straining, maybe dial the black down to a heavy grey?)

HalfTimeShow

A big ol' dumbo
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Poison
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for saying that, I made this when my eyes were already pretty badly strained so I honestly couldn't tell. Hopefully it's a bit less eye-burning now.

SilverDoe

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
Okay. The idea of something crawling over you while you can't move or even look at is a serious fear of mine. And you did a good job making that introduction feel frightening. Poor Marisa.

Jimcloud

Administrator
Administrator
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Pronouns
they/he/she
Oh my god, yeah, this is a real tone setter. I'm already loving the Grin, tbh, they're just here to have a good time and that's all I need in my life.

Good, uh, good luck next time, Marisa, you'll need it.

Sheepscope

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
A bed, with wall-to-wall books and a papery carpet
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She and they in no particular order, he very rarely; I'm beginning to think that I'm gender-fluid or flux. I have no clue, and I'm probably overthinking this.
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Constantly in search of the highest challenge, this person takes up the most impractical rulesets.
On the plus side for Marisa, if you can't move when you sense there's something around you, it's almost certainly a dream.

k80

h
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Bug
Pokédex Entry
h
holy shit this is a JUICY introduction. some straight up spooky stuff

HalfTimeShow

A big ol' dumbo
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Poison
Pokédex Entry
@Master Bryss: I've always loved villains that are WAY too into being villains and just have a great time with it, they're some of my favorites.
@SilverDoe: Poor Marisa indeed, she's not going to have a great time with this whole Mirror World thing. Then again, I don't think anyone really enjoys being trapped in Mirror World.
@Jimcloud: The Grin's going to be a fun one I think, I originally planned on properly introducing him this chapter but I got a little carried away when writing this.
@Sheepscope: OR WAS IT A DREAM?! yeah probably
@k80: Thanks, I'm not a really confident writer yet so that means a lot!

THUD

Marisa lay on the floor, dazed and covered in sweat. She was no stranger to nightmares, as a matter of fact she was practically an expert on all the ways someone’s brain can scare the shit out of them, but she had never had one feel so viscerally real before. She slowly gets up, noticing that she apparently fell asleep wearing her glasses again, before rubbing the crust from her eyes and stretching her stiff limbs. Her eyes go wide as she quickly realizes something’s wrong; her room is covered in a healthy coating of dust that sure as hell wasn’t there when she went to sleep, and the posters and scrolls that had adorned her walls had been shredded beyond recognition.

W-what the? What happened?!

She runs up to the wall where her favorite poster, a tasteful pin-up of Sig Curtis, used to be, now bare except for its shredded remains. On closer inspection, Marisa notices deep gouges on the wall, as if some kind of Pokemon had taken offence to her posters and torn them up out of spite. Her head starts to swim from the strange situation; her life had been an unchanging routine of eating, watching anime, and sleeping for several years now, and she was out of practice dealing with unusual circumstances. Holding her head and swallowing down the sense of unease welling up inside her, she leaves her room.

Mom, what’s going on?! Something really weird-

She stops. Her voice echoes slightly through the house, drawing attention to how empty and dilapidated it was. Her mother was nowhere to be seen, which in itself was odd because she worked from home and didn’t go out much, and the living room was even dustier and more clawed up than her own room. Marisa feels the all-too familiar panic start to bubble up inside her, and she takes a minute to calm herself down and breathe before it gets a chance to blossom into a full-on panic attack. In doing so she gets a good lungful of the the stale, dusty air in the house, and spends another minute choking on it before going outside to get some real air.

Okay, okay, calm down Marisa! Don’t freak out just because your house suddenly went to shit and your mom’s gone for some reason! It’s all fine!

Her attempts to calm herself down work as well as they usually do, in that they don’t work at all. Her neighbors don’t even look at her as she stumbles out of the house rambling to herself, seemingly preoccupied by walking back and forth and doing nothing in particular. Marisa tries to take a moment to assess the situation: her house looks like it’s haunted, which is not good, and her mom is nowhere to be seen despite never going anywhere without saying something, which is extremely not good. The only possible place she could be would probably be the neighbor’s house -or a shallow grave, she thinks to herself worriedly, or a sicko’s basement. Her neighbor Elm was an old college buddy of her mother’s, so Marisa hopes she might be there having a drink for old time’s sake or something. She quickly rushes over to the lab to check.

E-excuse me, Professor? Have you seen-

”Just the young lady I wanted to see!”

As soon as she opens the door, Elm starts talking like he’d been practicing this greeting his entire life in preparation for this moment. His lab coat is dirty and disheveled, which fits with the equally filthy state of the lab, the entire area absolutely covered in scattered papers and a layer of dust almost as thick as the one in Marisa’s house. Marisa instinctively shrinks back from him as he looks at her, his mirrored glasses reflecting her confused and terrified face as he sits in his chair.

H-have you s-seen my mother around recen-

The professor ignores her attempts to speak, despite looking her straight in the eye. Still speaking like every line has been rehearsed, he continues.

”Your mother and I have gotten together and decided it was about time you got started on a Pokemon journey of your very own! And as long as you’ve got a Pokemon, I figured I’d have you do a little errand for me. Please go to Mr. Pokemon’s house on Route 30 and get the Pokemon egg he is holding for me, then deliver it to me.

Marisa is flabbergasted. Not only has he completely brushed her question aside, but apparently the Professor wanted to give her a Pokemon? And her mom is somehow involved? She was already confused before coming here, but this REALLY didn’t help.

P-professor Elm? I don’t know if you know this, b-but I don’t really like Pokemon. I mean it’s true I got good grades at the Academy, but-

Acting like she had already agreed, the professor motions to a nearby table with three Pokeballs on it. He never once breaks eye contact with her as he does so. After a few seconds of awkward silence he cracks a smile, an uncomfortable one that looks more like a grimace than anything else.

”All will make sense once you’re on your journey. Everything will be fine.”

Marisa did not AT ALL believe that things would make sense, but she reluctantly goes over to the table, figuring it best to not argue with the scary science man. She looks to the left Pokeball.

”Ah, so you want the Psychic-Type Mr. Mime?”

W-wait, where are your regular starters? Why is there-

No, no! I don’t want this creepy thing! But-

”Please select a Pokemon.”

Marisa feels more and more uncomfortable the longer she spends in the room with Elm. She quickly goes to the far right Pokeball to-

Why do you have two DIFFERENT Mr. Mimes?!

”Clowns are great! Who doesn’t like clowns?”

The droning, robotic tone drops for a second, like the professor is extremely passionate about clowns for some reason.

ME! And most other people too!

And there the robot is again. Marisa’s fear was quickly turning to annoyance, the professor’s responses starting to grate on her patience. She goes to the middle Pokeball and finds-

”Ah, so you want the Steel and Water-Type Dunsparce?”

Well, given the choice between- wait, what did you say?

”Ah, so you want the Steel and Water-”

Waitwaitwaitwait, Dunsparce is, always has been, and always will be a Normal-Type.

The Professor stares at her blankly, not saying a word. Marisa’s discomfort starts coming back as the silence continues, edging out the irritation that had come up. She takes the Pokeball containing Dunsparce in her hand, not entirely sure what to say or do from here.

”Would you like to give it a nickname?”

Elm’s voice startles her, almost making her drop the Pokeball.

U-um, sure…

It’s a pear pastry from-

As she starts to talk, the professor suddenly stands up from his chair, eliciting a startled squeak from Marisa. He walks over to her more quickly than is strictly necessary and shoves a bag in her hands.

”This bag contains a Pokedex and Pokegear, essential items you will need on your journey.”

Marisa looks at the bag bewildered, then looks to the professor to ask what she’d need them for. As she looks up, though, something in the window catches her eye, and anything she might have said dies in her throat.

Someone, or something is peering in through the window. Marisa’s heart starts racing as the peeping Tom’s gaze bores directly into her, a surge of primal terror flowing through her body. She gasps and sputters and points to it, some instinctive drive urging her to warn Elm despite her fear of him. Elm, for his part, ignores her freakout and continues speaking.

”Once you have delivered the egg, you should head to the Gym in Violet City. There you will-”

TH-THERE’S SOMEONE THERE!

”Yes, the Gym Leader Falkner. You are not to go beyond-”

Marisa grabs Elm and drags both him and herself to the floor, out of the prying eye’s sight. She grabs hold of his shoulders and shakes him for emphasis.

TH-THERE’S SOMEONE LOOKING IN YOUR WINDOW!

Elm seems markedly unshaken by Marisa’s outburst and continues talking like nothing happened.

”-the gentleman south of the city until you have gotten your badge.”

Marisa ducks under the Professor’s desk and curls up under it, putting her hands over her head like it’s an earthquake drill. She squeezes her eyes shut and lies perfectly still, like she’s hoping the peeker’s vision is movement-based. She stays like this for a few agonizingly long minutes before she slowly looks up and opens her eyes. Elm is in exactly the same position as he was when he hit the ground, still staring blankly at her, and the room is dead quiet. She rises from the floor slowly and shakily, afraid of what she’ll see, and steals a glance at the window.

I-is he gone?

The face in the window was no longer there, and there was no trace anyone had been there. Marisa takes deep breaths and tries to calm herself down, wiping tears from her eyes. She doesn’t remember exactly when she started crying, but that was nothing new to her. She does a double-take out the window to be ABSOLUTELY sure the creeper was gone, then looks back to Elm to see if he’s okay. The Professor sits on the floor and continues blankly staring at her, unmoved from his original position except for his head moving to meet her gaze. She awkwardly stares back for a little bit before grabbing the bag and hurriedly leaving the lab.

Once safely out of town, Marisa sits on the ground under a tree and tries to get her head straight. Obviously something was wrong, EXTREMELY wrong, but she had no idea what the hell was going on. She sighs and looks at the unwanted Pokeball in her hand, wondering what she should do with it. On the one hand she has zero desire to be a trainer or have anything to do with the super-powered little freaks, but she isn’t quite cold enough to just abandon the Dunsparce -er, Birnbrot- in the wild. She ponders her situation for a while, wondering what exactly was wrong with Elm or what the deal with her house and mom was, until her head starts to hurt. She rubs her temples for some relief, then stands up and pushes the button on the ball.

There’s a flash of light, and the chubby little snake appears on the ground before her. It looks around confused for a second (as much as Marisa can tell, she can’t really be sure where it’s looking from its squinty eyes), then tilts its head at her inquisitively.

Dunnnn…?

Uh, h-hey there, little fella. I-I mean, uh, little lady? Marisa mentally slaps herself for forgetting that Birnbrot was female. She clears her throat and continues. I guess I’m your trainer now. So that m-means we have to work together, right? So is that, uh, good with you?

Wow. Truly she truly does have a way with words. In hindsight, she doesn’t even remember where Dunsparce is on the Pokemon intelligence scale, so it might not understand her at all. Birnbrot just lays there sleepily, looking at her with its head still tilted and its short forked tongue occasionally poking out.

O-okay, are we good? We’re good?

Dunnnnn…

It lets out a yawn, a little motion that kind of freaks Marisa out because it shows off Birnbrot’s underdeveloped but clearly sharp fangs. Slowly it nods, although whether it’s doing that out of agreement or just because it’s tired isn’t clear to her. She smiles weakly at the snake, then presses the button again and returns it to the ball. She looks down at her belt, a normal belt with no spots for attaching Pokeballs. She hadn't expected to become a trainer today, or ever, so she really wasn't in the best clothes for this kind of stuff. She shrugs, tosses it into her bag, and starts heading off on the road to Cherrygrove.

She’s delighted by her first find, as the Professor had failed to give her any Pokeballs despite ostensibly wanting her to be a trainer. She felt confident that she could catch at least one Pokemon, her academy days hadn’t completely gone to waste after all. All she needed to do was find a good Pokemon to-

ACK!

The Mr. Mime abruptly leaps from a nearby bush, a big dumb smile plastered over its pasty face. Marisa wonders if Mr. Mime are even native to this area, and shudders as it walks up to her; Pokemon in general could be pretty freaky but something about how vaguely human Mr. Mime looked was not okay with her. She turns to run away, but she is stopped cold by a cartoonishly squeaky voice echoing in her head.

HO HO HO ITS TIME FOR THE SHOW

Marisa knows a lot about Pokemon. She knows Mr. Mime is a Psychic type. She knows some Psychic Pokemon can speak with telepathy. She did NOT KNOW that Mr. Mime was one of them. She looks back to the Pokemon, its smiling face unmoving and unblinking.

Wh-what show? What are you talking about?

Marisa had never spoken with anything telepathically before, but she could tell that was more than one Mr. Mime that time. Marisa frantically looks around, and sees another one peeking from behind a tree.

Marisa was NOT OKAY with this development. She started backing up slowly in the vain hope she wouldn’t startle them and make them aggressive. She noticed that she had started shaking at some point during this ordeal, and she could feel tears welling up. At least that part wasn’t anything new to her.

Suddenly she backed up into something, and felt a big hand pat her on the shoulder. Her rational brain knew she shouldn’t look back, but some animal instinct made her turn around anyway.

Marisa never ran so fast in her entire life. She didn’t even think she could run anymore, what with the years of barely ever getting out of bed. She dodges around trees, and jumps over fallen logs, and narrowly avoids colliding with another Mr. Mime.

WHERE ARE YOU ALL COMING FROM?!

As much as she runs, the Mr. Mime never run after her. They don’t need to; every tree she passes, and in every patch of grass she runs through, a hidden Mime comes out to join the fun, and they leisurely dance after her. The stress and sheer terror Marisa feels is magnified by the cacophony of noise in her mind, as every one that appears adds its own voice to the chorus.

HO
HO
HO
ITS
TIME
FOR
THE
SHOW

Marisa can’t run anymore. Her scrawny legs can barely support her as she slows to a labored walk, her eyes burning with tears and sweat. Her legs give out from under her and she falls to the ground in exhaustion, the cheerful chanting of the Mr. Mime growing louder in her head as they begin to surround her, dancing in almost perfect unison. Backed into a corner and no longer able to run, Marisa realizes that she has no choice but to fight her way out. She takes a deep breath to steel herself, digs around in her bag for Birnbrot's Pokeball, and chucks it at the crowd of Mimes. It plops out of its Pokeball looking as sleepy as it did going in.

Dunnnn…?

Birnbrot, use Rage!

The fat snake looks in bewilderment at the horde of clowns, then turns back to its trainer in confusion. Marisa looks back at it with desperation in her eyes.

Go on, Birnbrot, I know you can do it, p-probably! Use Rage!

Birnbrot continues to stare at Marisa, making no effort to attack the slowly encroaching crowd behind it. The Mimes continue to close in, their movements almost like a dance as they continue their awful chorus.

Wh-What’s wrong?! WHY AREN’T YOU DOING ANYTHING?!

The desperation and confusion are evident in Marisa’s voice. Dunsparce should absolutely know Rage at this level, so what’s the problem? Does Birnbrot hate her, or is it too stupid to know how to use moves? In a desperate attempt to glean SOME information about this, she pulls out her newly-obtained Pokedex and scans Birnbrot.

What.

When Elm had said Dunsparce was a Steel/Water type, she had assumed that was just him being crazy and weird. Her mind starts racing, wondering what the hell is happening right now, but she shoves those thoughts away as she notices one of the Mimes bend down and pick up Birnbrot. It was now or never.

B-Birnbrot, use Crabhammer!

The Dunsparce, limply dangling in the grip of the Mime, makes a face like it finally understands something. In a surprisingly quick and brutal motion it twists it body free of the surprised Mr. Mime’s grip and slams its skull directly in the center of its would-be captor’s forehead. Marisa has no clue as to how that move could be considered “Crabhammer,” but she nonetheless watches as the Mime collapses on the spot. The onslaught of mental noise ceases as the crowd of clowns all turn to face Birnbrot in unison.

Uh, j-just keep using Crabhammer!

Birnbrot, head no worse for wear, nods slowly before suddenly launching itself face-first at another Mime, hitting it directly in the gut and making it kneel over in pain. The others all look to the Dunsparce and start waving their hands in front of them, each launching their own Confusion attack at the tiny snake. The rippling blasts of psychic energy barely seem to phase it (because Dunsparce is a Steel Type for some freaking reason, Marisa thinks), and Birnbrot responds by spinning around and sweeping the legs out from under a Mime with its tail. As it falls over, Birnbrot bites the thing’s ankle, and in the most ludicrous move Marisa’s ever seen the tiny snake whips the clown into three of its brethren, sending them all tumbling to the ground. The remaining Mr. Mime, seemingly realizing they’re in over their heads, start to panic and scramble away from the fight as quickly as they can, leaving Birnbrot and Marisa alone in the clearing with 6 unconscious clowns.

O-okay, I don’t know how ANY of that was considered a C-Crabhammer, but I’m not gonna argue with the results.

Birnbrot, seemingly tuckered out by that massive burst of energy, yawns loudly and licks its lips, which Marisa still finds to be somewhat freaky. However, after the living nightmare that was....whatever the hell that was, she decides she can tolerate a little freakiness if it meant not being devoured alive by Mr. Mime, or whatever it was they planned on doing to her. Exhausted beyond anything she has experienced before, she still forces herself to stand up.

L-lets just...go now. I don’t th-think I want to be anywhere near this place ever again, so let’s just...go.

Dunnnn…!

The snake slowly slithers up to her, a dopey grin on its face that reveals the tips of its fangs. Marisa instinctively jerks her foot away from it and takes a few steps back, leaving Birnbrot looking very confused. It looks up at her and tilts its head, a slightly sad look that makes Marisa feel like garbage.

L-look, it’s not you, okay? Okay, m-maybe it is y-you...but! It’s also me! Just...don’t touch me, alright? Or get too close…

There is a long, awkward pause before Birnbrot slowly nods its head, disappointment clearly evident on its face. She guiltily returns it to its ball and tosses it into her bag before heading out once more.

Marisa’s thoughts weigh her down as she walks. Why is Birnbrot a different type than it should be? She remembers reading that some Pokemon in far-off regions are different types than the norm, but Birnbrot looks identical to any other Dunsparce. Is it some kind of mutant? Not to mention all the weird stuff with the people and the Mimes. Her mom is missing, her house looks like it’s haunted, the route by her house is infested with clowns, and frankly Marisa feels like she doesn’t know anything anymore. Is she dreaming right now? Or is this some kind of alternate universe kind of thing? If this is an alternate universe, where was her prerequisite overpowered skill and harem? Oh god, what if the MIMES were her harem…

Marisa slaps herself on the cheeks, trying to banish those awful thoughts from her brain. She would be okay (probably), her mom would be okay (probably), everything would be o-

GAH!
Inaaa!

In her daze, she nearly trips over a sunbathing Nidorina. The Pokemon shoots up out of its half-asleep state, enraged by the rude awakening, and stomps towards her. Marisa panics and reflexively raises her hands and backs up, as the Nidorina…

stands on its hind legs and pulls out a thick bone it had laying next to it.

What.

Okay. So maybe Birnbrot wasn’t an isolated incident in the weirdness, because this Nidorina clearly stole from a Cubone or Marowak. Marisa doesn’t really have time to process this, however, as the Pokemon runs up and takes a swing at her kneecaps. Marisa shrieks and falls backwards, narrowly avoiding having her knees shattered by the furious Pokemon.

GRRRRR!

The Nidorina snarls angrily as its swing goes wide, and Marisa tries to scramble away from it as fast as she can. 'As fast as she can' isn't very fast, unfortunately, as she's still exhausted from the ordeal with the Mr. Mime. Nidorina slowly stomps towards her, issuing a deep, rumbling growl from its throat as it menacingly taps its club against the equivalent of its palm. Marisa didn't need to speak Pokemon to understand exactly what it was trying to get across, and for what felt like the tenth time today she felt deeply, terribly certain she was about to die. She was hesitant at first about bringing Birnbrot out again so soon after its last battle, but at this point it was obvious she absolutely needed it if she was going to survive. She desperately rummaged around in her bag for the snake's ball, chucked it towards the Pokemon, and-

the Nidorina went into the ball.

Oh.

In her panic, she had tossed her empty Pokeball at it rather than the one containing Birnbrot. She makes a mental note to get a proper Pokeball belt at some point as she fishes out the Dunsparce's actual ball, then gets ready to send it out as soon as the Nidorina breaks fr-

CLICK

Marisa stares dumbfounded at the ball, which now contains the Nido- no, her Nidorina. She hadn't weakened it at all, so for it to have been captured so easily causes her no small amount of confusion. The Pokemon that had just seconds ago been trying to bludgeon her to death was apparently going to be on her team now, and Marisa wasn't entirely sure how to feel about that. She slowly makes her way to the ball, as if moving too fast might make it break out, and gingerly picks it up the way someone might pick up an old grenade they aren't sure is armed or not.

I...I guess you're m-mine now?

She talks to the Pokeball, not sure whether or not the thing can even hear her in there. She ponders for a while, not entirely sure what she should name the angry little monster, until one comes to mind.

Liking a bit of irony when she wasn't the victim of it, she decides a sour beasty like this should have a sweet name. She takes out her Pokedex and gives the ball a quick scan.

N-not super surprised about the t-type with this one...

Marisa very carefully places the ball in her bag, making extremely sure that the bag jostling wouldn't trigger the button and release Semla by accident. She gets up off the ground shakily like a newborn Deerling, panting and gasping from all the bullshit she's gone through, and once again starts slowly stumbling her way forward. It's a fairly short walk, just a few more minutes, but to her it feels like an eternity, every one of her muscle fibers screaming from overuse and her eyes stinging terribly from all the crying. Finally, at long last, she makes it to the entrance to Cherrygrove.

She breathes a sigh of relief, and almost starts laughing, but a thought interrupts her near-celebration.

She had nearly died twice on her way to this city

and she was only halfway to Mr. Pokemon's house.

This was going to be a long trip.

Hoo boy this was supposed to be way shorter, I had too much fun writing the clown thing and I didn't get as far gameplay-wise as I thought I would.
Marisa's pinup poster was indeed THAT Sig Curtis. She has very... nonstandard tastes.
Who's that handsome fellow in the window there? Probably nobody important.
The other starters both being Mr. Mime was just me wanting the rival to have one and mot being super experienced with the randomizer, so I just put them both in.
I did NOT expect the main wild encounter to be Mr. Mime as well, so I just took that and ran with it. There are apparently wild Ho-oh and other things on this route too, but literally all I ran into were Mimes, Semla, and one Nidoran Male.
Next chapter should have more progress, I don't intend for every route to have its own lengthy trauma conga line like this.

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Birnbrot, head no worse for wear, nods slowly before suddenly launching itself face-first at another Mime, hitting it directly in the gut and making it kneel over in pain. The others all look to the Dunsparce and start waving their hands in front of them, each launching their own Confusion attack at the tiny snake. The rippling blasts of psychic energy barely seem to phase it (because Dunsparce is a Steel Type for some freaking reason, Marisa thinks), and Birnbrot responds by spinning around and sweeping the legs out from under a Mime with its tail. As it falls over, Birnbrot bites the thing’s ankle, and in the most ludicrous move Marisa’s ever seen the tiny snake whips the clown into three of its brethren, sending them all tumbling to the ground. The remaining Mr. Mime, seemingly realizing they’re in over their heads, start to panic and scramble away from the fight as quickly as they can, leaving Birnbrot and Marisa alone in the clearing with 6 unconscious clowns.
Best battle of the Gauntlet so far.
O-okay, I don’t know how ANY of that was considered a C-Crabhammer, but I’m not gonna argue with the results.
Don't question the Sparce. Just don't.
She had nearly died twice on her way to this city

and she was only halfway to Mr. Pokemon's house.

This was going to be a long trip.
It is indeed, and I am VERY much looking forward to seeing what else goes wrong on it.

anonymouse

the plastic king of castle polyethylene
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
any; they/them
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon spends far too much time in front of a laptop, someone unglue them.
well i wasn't afraid of clowns before this, but this was still fucking creepy. i loved it. the Grin reminded me a lot of the artstyle from Courage the Cowardly Dog in all the best ways

Capybara

Hydrochoerus hydrochaeris
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 10, 2020
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Normal
The line about mimes being her harem had me on the floor. 😂 This is incredible.

Also... these are frankly extremely justified reactions. The dusty haunted house environments are awesome! I also really love your choice of music, especially the whistle theme for dunsparce. Embrace the snakey child, Marisa! >:U

Jimcloud

Administrator
Administrator
🌱Featurer
🎇Contributor
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Pronouns
they/he/she
HO HO HO IT'S TIME FOR THE SHOW

God though this was a really good mix of like, humor and creepy horror you got goin on here, anonymouse mentioned Courage and that's probably a good metaphor for the vibe generally, just that shit is so fuckin BAD yet somehow it all works out so it's not QUITE horror but your main is still getting scared absolutely shitless here. Nice work.

Toyotasomi no Miko

Toyo the Toyo, ft. Ultra Eviolite Rhydon
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 28, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
he/they
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Howdy! I'm Toyo the Toyo. So this is what the inside of a Pokedex is like...
this update was one of the greatest things i've seen thus far and it's not even that far into mirror world yet, so i have high hopes for this, good luck
'^'b

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
Oh this update is THICC. I’ve been over here shouting to Snake about it like, wtfffffffff. This is fantastic, and I feel so bad for this poor weeb in the wild.

Robo

Ask me about Phantom of the Oprea lore
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
GOD ALL THE STUFF WITH THE MR. MIME MADE ME LOSE IT. It was SO fucking funny, I chant believe your randomizer is just throwing clowns at you by the dozens. I agree with the others though, I love the creepy vibes going on here! I hope marissa will one day be brave enough to hold her little dunsparce :( poor thing just wants some love

SnakeWrangler

Sorceress's Knight
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Water, Poison
Dunsparce is SO cute and I am so glad your descriptions do it the justice it deserves

Master Bryss

zd zd
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Their body is made of an intricate and interconnected weave of their own puns.
I know there's been a lot of Mime talk and for good reason

BUT

CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE LURKING TROLLFACE THE GRIN? (Presumably it's the Grin anyway) Like, if I saw that I'd probably have given the Mimes a hug instead...

Reactions: Bug

Ephemera

Faerie of the Viridian Forest
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
They/them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tries to find the wonder in everything. Hopes to be more kind as each day passes.
First things first: HO HO HO IT'S TIME FOR THE SHOW
I know everyone's said it by now, but I really wanted to! Despite being in Mirror World chat, I haven't been able to say it yet.

Anyhow, I'm really liking this – Marisa's freaking out from the creepiness, and to be honest, who wouldn't be?
The background music also kills it (in a good way) and just adds that extra sinister atmosphere you can't get in writing.

HalfTimeShow

A big ol' dumbo
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Poison
Pokédex Entry
I'm not dead I swear!
Remember when I said I was going to make this one shorter and less suffery? Well it turns out my major writing flaw is that I'm bad at brevity.

@Trollkitten: I'm glad you like, I've never written a battle before so this is all new to me.
@anonymouse: Courage was one of my favorite shows as a kid so that means a lot, thank you.
@Capybara: The whistle theme fits in every scenario, as proven by Deadly Premonition using it in scenes that were way less wacky than the music let on.
@Jimcloud: I feel like I could never write pure horror, my brain has a point where I need to inject sillyness and stupidity sometimes.
@Toyotasomi no Miko: Glad you like it!
@Bug: Now I'm picturing a nature documentary about weebs narrated by David Attenborough.
@Robo: Dunsparces deserve all the love in the world, but it will be slow going.
@SnakeWrangler: SwSh not having Dunsparce is a hate crime and I will sue them.
@Master Bryss: I didn't think of it as the Trollface before but now I can't unsee it.
@Ephemera: Thanks, the music is one of the hardest parts for me besides getting over my laziness.

Also thank you everyone for making my silly clown chant a thing.

An old man strides up to Marisa as she takes her first exhausted step into Cherrygrove, his thick glasses practically opaque and his face bearing a decidedly fake-looking smile. He quickly gets uncomfortably close to her, carelessly popping her personal space bubble as he thrusts his hand forward in preparation for a handshake.

"Well hello there young lass! You look to be a rookie trainer! Would you like me to give you the grand tour of the town?"

Marisa instinctively takes a few steps back as the old geezer gets up in her face. He stands there stock still, almost like he's frozen in place, as he waits for her reply.

U-um, no thank you! I used to go through here on the way to school, so...

For just a split second, Marisa thinks she sees the man's smile drop and his expression harden, but his forced smile returns so quickly she's not sure if she imagined that or not. He gives her a curt nod, and in one of the strangest motions Marisa has ever seen he retracts his hand and walks backwards to his original position, like footage being reversed. The entire time, he never once breaks eye contact with her.

"Feel free to talk to me again if you change your mind!"

Marisa has no idea what the hell that was all about, but it really doesn't make her want to talk to him again. She walks past him as quickly as she can, keeping her head down to avoid further eye contact, and makes her way to the Pokemon Center. She pushes the door open, expecting to find a warm, welcoming place to restore her Pokemon and rest her aching muscles.

It only takes a second for her to remember that everything she’s encountered today has been terrible in some way, and realize that this is no exception as the smell of ammonia and worse invades her nostrils. The Center is cool and dimly lit, and while not covered in dust like her house or the lab it still oozes an aura of decay. The tile floor is cracked badly with the rough flooring clearly exposed, and to Marisa’s disgust and horror there are dark smears of something along the floor and walls that she desperately hopes are mud.

”Hello. Welcome to our Pokemon Center.”

The nurse calls out to her from behind the counter in a robotic monotone, making Marisa jump. The nurse stands there stock still, an unsettlingly Stepford-esque grin on her face as she continues.

”We can heal your Pokemon to perfect health. Shall we heal your Pokemon?”

Marisa swallows, her heart still racing from her run-in with the old man and this creepy-ass situation really not helping. She contemplates just turning around and booking it back outside, but her aching legs convince her that’s not a great idea. Besides, her (completely unwanted) snake is tired from its clown crushing, and it’s her duty as a (completely unwilling) Trainer to keep it in decent shape. Still not entirely convinced, she nervously walks up to the nurse with her Pokeballs in hand.

U-um, yes please…

The nurse’s expression doesn’t change as she grabs the balls from Marisa’s sweaty hands, a sudden movement that startles her and makes her reflexively yelp. The nurse quickly puts them on the healing machine and starts it up, not even looking at the machine as she does it. Instead, she stares directly at Marisa the entire time, keeping her head facing her even as her body turns to the side. This position would strike Marisa as uncomfortable if she weren’t distracted by the nurse’s eyes, dull gray and glassy things that seem like they don’t reflect any light. She feels chills run up and down her spine as the nurse hands her Pokeballs back, then returns to the stiff position she was in when Marisa entered. Marisa mutters a quick Thank you as she takes them back, then runs to the seating area as fast as she can with her jelly legs and releases both of her Pokemon as she practically falls into a chair. Birnbrot gives a long yawn as it’s released, and Semla shoots its new trainer a dirty glare as it emerges. Marisa swallows and tugs at her collar nervously as she addresses them.

H-hey there, guys! So, um, how’s my t-team feeling…?

Calling them her team feels unnatural, but it technically isn’t wrong. Birnbrot tilts its head, not sure why it was called out in the first place, and Semla continues silently glaring at her while clutching its bone in its forepaws. Marisa clears her throat before continuing.

Okay, I-I’ll skip the small talk. L-look, I need you to stand guard while I t-take a break, o-okay? This might sound s-stupid, but everyone I’ve met gives off s-serial k-killer vibes, and I-I don’t feel c-comfortable letting my guard down…

Marisa glances towards the nurse, who as expected is still creepily staring her down from across the room. Birnbrot gives a little nod despite clearly not knowing what she was talking about, while Semla gives her a look that says that it does, in fact, think she sounds stupid. Nonetheless, the Nidorina does as it’s told, jumping up on the table in front of her and turning its hateful stare towards the nurse instead. Birnbrot also turns in the direction of the nurse, raising its tail in a distinctly scorpion-like position that would be much more intimidating if the Dunsparce didn’t look like it was about to fall asleep.

Marisa sighs deeply and sinks back into the old chair, her head swimming with questions about the freaky shit that’s happened. She isn’t sure exactly what is going on, but she has a few ideas. A: She was in hell, she had died wrapped up in her blanket cocoon like she always expected to and gotten her proper judgement, B: This was some kind of simulation, and the computer her brain was is in is particularly disturbing, or C: She had been Isekai’d, but into one of the dark deconstruction types of Isekai where the boobs and power fantasy are replaced by suffering. While she contemplates her situation, the sheer exhaustion slowly starts to overtake her, and it’s not long before her head slumps forward and she begins to nod off.

Dark.

So dark.

A young girl runs through the woods as fast as her skinny legs can carry her, her heart beating a mile a minute as her less than athletic lifestyle makes its effects known.

Danny? Danny, where’d you go?

This is all Danny’s fault, she thinks. Her stupid friend is the one who had convinced her to come out this late with some of his dad’s old Pokeballs, the little idiot deciding they were definately ready to catch some Pokemon. Their instructors at the academy had made it very clear that they would get their starter Pokemon before they graduate, that they just had to be patient, but Danny insisted they already knew enough to start their journey. The little know-it-all also insisted that the coolest Pokemon showed up at night, and he had practically begged her to come with him.

Danny?! Where are you?! This isn’t funny!

She was never good at making friends, but Danny was. So good, in fact, that he managed to befriend the biggest loner in class. He is pretty much her only friend, and he knows that. Rather than use it against her, though, he’s a sweetheart that has never tried to hurt her or mess with her. She knows that he’d never just ditch her in the middle of the woods at night, so the fact that she can’t find him is making her panic even more than the darkness surrounding her. She desperately calls his name over and over again, getting no response and starting to lose track of where she’s going through all the trees.She calls his name one more time, and this time she gets a response: a low, gurgling noise coming from nearby. The girl’s blood runs cold, and she sprints towards the source of the sounds as fast as she can. She comes upon a clearing in the woods, a clearing she and Danny know well, since they like to hang out here after school.

DANNY?!

Marisa wakes up screaming, with her face soaked in tears and her heart threatening to pound out of her chest. By this point she’s used to it, she tends to wake up like this once or twice a week, but that doesn’t make her feel any better about it. She clutches her pounding head, taking deep breaths to calm herself down, as she looks around. The nurse is still standing in exactly the same spot, silently watching her, and Semla stands in much the same spot as before, although it looks like it had covered its ears to block out her screaming. It seems Birnbrot, however, had other ideas. The Dunsparce had climbed its way up to the arm of her chair and was nuzzling her hand, a look of concern clearly on its face.

AAAAAH!

Marisa jerks her hand away and flails around in her seat, startling the snake and causing it to fall off onto the floor. She jolts up from the chair and backs away from Birnbrot quickly, her stiff legs making her wobble and nearly fall over.

Dunnn…?

Birnbrot starts to slither towards her, but stops upon seeing her flinch. Marisa clutches her chest and takes deep breaths, feeling her heart rate slowly go down, before silently pulling out her Pokeballs and returning her Pokemon to them. She slowly walks out of the Center, the dream already forgotten like always, with the nurse watching her the entire way.

Luckily for Marisa, Route 30 proves much less daunting than the first half of her trip. She idly fiddles with a King’s Rock she found on the side of the road, constantly on edge in case another clown decides to leap out and try anything, but nothing of note happens and she finds herself at Mr. Pokemon’s door in no time.

The same grey, dead eyes that the nurse had stare at her as she enters the house, which appears to be covered in a similar layer of dust to her house and the lab. The house is mostly empty except for a mannequin in a lab coat and Mr. Pokemon himself.

Th-The P-p-professor t-told me t-to come h-here…s-something about an e-egg...

Marisa’s voice comes out with some difficulty, her throat sore and her mouth really not wanting to make the noises she wants it to make. For his part, Mr. Pokemon doesn’t seem to notice anything wrong with her.

”Wonderful! Yes, yes, take the egg, and give the good professor my regards”

The man (or robot, or zombie, or whatever the hell the people in this nightmare are) unceremoniously pulls an egg from under the table and shoves it into Marisa’s arms, nearly knocking her over. He locks in place after doing so, much like the nurse from before, and silently looks at her with his dead eyes. Sort of expecting that to be the case, Marisa tucks the egg into her bag and steps outside.

Elm’s robotic, monotone voice spills out of her Pokegear as she leaves, seemingly trying to fake some sort of emotion but failing terribly. She grits her teeth, then sighs deeply.

I-its not like I-I have a choice anyway…m-might as well get th-this over with…

Mentally spent, Marisa slowly trudges her way down Route 30 and back to Cherrygrove. She feels tired in a way she never has before, her limbs are still stiff from her clown escape despite her rest, her throat feels like it’s full of glass, and she’s completely lost control of her life. She ponders her mother’s fate, and whether she’ll even make it through this forced journey in one piece, when her zoned out slump is unceremoniously interrupted by the sound of someone slowly clapping behind her. The “someone” gives a low, throaty chuckle, and Marisa’s blood runs cold as they speak up.

Good job, good job! You got yourself not one, but TWO whole Pokemon~!

She recognizes the voice, and her legs lock up.

You finally managed to do what almost every kid does as a 10-year-old! You’re only, what, 8 or 9 years late?

She doesn’t want to turn around. She knows that she isn’t going to like what she sees, but some stupid part of her brain makes her turn around. And there he is, sitting on a bench and lazily waving at her, the thing from the nightmare that started her day.

W-w-w-w-w-

Marisa’s voice fails her. It’s one thing to have a nightmare, but another thing entirely for the thing from your nightmare to just pop up in real life and tease you.

What’s the matter? At a loss for words? Did my handsomeness steal your heart? Well I don’t blame you! But, sad to say, I don’t like you that way. We can still be pals, though~!

The thing stands up from the bench, his body making horrible popping and squelching noises as he straightens his lanky limbs out. He walks towards Marisa, his arms and legs seemingly having either no bones or too many, making him look like something between a rubber hose cartoon and some kind of contortionist as he looms over her. Marisa falls backwards on her butt and desperately scrambles backwards, a move that makes the thing chortle.

What, you scared? You gonna pee your pants?! It’s a wonder you haven’t already~!

Marisa starts to say something, but chokes and sputters instead of actually forming words. Finally, she manages to get a few words out.

W-w-who are y-you?! W-WHAT ARE YOU?!

The creature claps its clawed hands together in joy, making a sound like a wet slap.

Oh! I thought this whole conversation was going to be you making gross baby noises, but you remembered how to use words! Good job! I go by lots of names. Some call me Phobos, to others I am Shub-Niggurath, and others call me Doomsday. Some people call me the Space Cowbo- hahahaha!

He starts laughing harshly, going so far as to slap his knee.

I’m just screwing with you, friend! I’m called The Grin. Pretty cool right? I’m like a comic character~

The fear filling Marisa’s body is slowly starting to convert to annoyance as The Grin continues to laugh at his own joke, but for now at least the fear is still first and foremost. She continues scrambling away from him as he slowly approaches, her mind racing for any way she can escape this situation.

Well, that’s enough goofs for now. I do actually have something to do right now~

Marisa’s back hits a wall as he looms over her menacingly. Literally cornered, she sputters out what she’s afraid will be her last words.

W-what a-are y-you…?

Somehow, against all odds, his freakish smile manages to get even wider.

Why, haven’t you heard the rule? When two trainer’s eyes meet, they have to battle~!

The Grin’s right hand retreats into his sleeve with a distressingly wet slurping sound, and it comes out clutching a Pokeball. Marisa looks up at him in complete bewilderment, not really comprehending that the horror monster that she was sure was about to eat her just wants to battle.

W-waitwaitwait, w-what?

What, are you a little gun-shy? Let me tell you, friend, you aren’t gonna get far like that~!

The creature takes several long steps back, leaving a decent space between him and Marisa, and lazily chucks his Pokeball on the ground.

Come on out, Funzo!

WELL HO-DE-HI, AND HI-DE-HO!

LADIES AND GERMS, IT’S TIME FOR THE SHOW!

Of course. OF COURSE he has one. Why wouldn’t he?

Having finally managed to get her heart rate under control, Marisa still shudders as the clown pops out. Figuring she’s pretty much locked into a battle with this thing at this point, she pulls out her bag and rummages around in it, pulling out what she’s fairly sure is Birnbrot’s ball. The Grin chuckles as she sends the Dunsparce out.

You don’t need me for this, Funzo. Do your thing~

The Mr. Mime happily dances in place as Birnbrot looks around, completely bewildered by what’s going on. It takes one look at The Grin before looking back to Marisa, clearly not understanding what in the world he is.

I-I d-don’t really get it either… J-just use Crabhammer like you d-did before!

The Dunsparce nods before turning back to the clown, determination clearly written on its face. Funzo smiles widely as the snake slithers forward, its eyes glowing faintly with psychic energy as it wiggles its fingers in anticipation. Its cartoonishly squeaky mental voice pierces into Marisa’s mind.

OTHER MIMES YOU’VE TAKEN DOWN,
BUT NOW YOU FACE THE ALPHA CLOWN!

W-what the h-hell is an alpha c-clown?

Funzo doesn't elaborate. Instead it dances in place, forming a faintly glowing bubble of psychic energy. The clown happily claps its hands and the bubble bursts, sending a powerful shockwave of mental energy into Birnbrot’s psyche. The snake noticeably twitches as the energy washes over it, the attack seemingly stronger than the weaker ones it had endured from the other clowns. True to form, though, Birnbrot shakes the attack off and lunges towards Funzo much faster than something that fat should be able to move. The Dunsparce opens its mouth wide and bites down on the Mime’s hand, then uses its weight to drag the clown to the ground.

Funzo’s grin remains. It takes its free hand, slaps it directly on Birnbrot’s forehead, and lets out a pulse of mental energy directly into its head. Rather than making it let go, however, the attack only serves to make the snake latch on harder. Birnbrot hisses from deep in its throat, tenses its barely-there neck, and in one fierce motion tosses the clown to the side, sending Funzo careening into a nearby tree trunk. A sharp CRACK reverberates through the tree as the clown impacts it, followed shortly by a branch falling down and pinning it to the ground.

Marisa still has no idea how any of that is considered a Crabhammer.

The Mime, dazed and immobilized, struggles feebly against the branch for a few seconds before seemingly giving up. Birnbrot, for its part, just yawns and smacks its lips before coiling up as best it can with its short body. Marisa breathes a small sigh of relief, glad to have won but still on edge enough that she jumps when she hears a slow clap from behind her.

Incredible! ‘Hit it until it stops moving,’ you are TRULY a master strategist! Seems your academy days weren’t a total waste after all~

He was behind her again, somehow. Marisa shudders as she feels his cold hand firmly clasp the back of her neck, his long fingers nearly reaching all the way around it. Her heart nearly stops as she feels a sharp, claw-like nail slowly drag across her throat, just gently enough to avoid breaking the skin. Tears well up in her eyes as his cold breath washes over her, goosebumps welling up all over her body. The nail gently drags across her jugular once again as The Grin speaks, his playful and carefree tone a stark contrast to the disgusting and malevolent aura he gives off.

Looky here, friend, I’ve gotta be honest with you: you aren’t going to get anywhere in this little game if you shrivel up from crying too much. It’s a miracle you haven’t died of dehydration yet!

Marisa feels one of his clammy fingers poke at the stream of tears on her cheek for emphasis.

D’aww, turn that frown upside down, you big wuss! It’s not like I’m gonna kill you! I just wanted to make sure you’re not totally awful as a trainer. And you aren’t! Congrats on not being a failure like you usually are~!

She grits her teeth, partially out of frustration but mostly because she didn’t believe for a second that he didn’t want to kill her. She tries to force words out, but all that comes out is some weird noise somewhere between a squeak and a gurgle. Marisa clears her throat, and finally squeezes out what she’s thinking.

W-why?

W-why me? W-why d-did you drag me into th-this g-game of yours?

There is a long, pregnant pause. Then, a low chuckle right next to her ear. Then, laughter.

The Grin laughs loudly, insanely in her ear, so loud and close that Marisa feels like she might go deaf on one side. She feels the pressure on her throat lesses, then his hands grip tightly on her shoulders. She realizes he’s bent over, holding himself up using her as a prop as he laughs until his stomach hurts.

My game?! Oh, wow, you’re a riot! I almost forgot you don’t have a clue what’s actually happening! Oh, you’re in for a TREAT, pal.

Let me just say this: this isn’t my game. You’re over here, pissing your pants over me, and you haven’t even met my boss. I’m just a glorified coffee boy, friend!

Suddenly, he shoves her hard. Marisa can barely think as she’s suddenly hurled forward, her glasses slipping off her face as she falls face-first onto the ground. Her brain feels scrambled as she impacts, a feeling she hasn’t felt since being bullied in school.

As for why you’re here? I dunno, destiny or something? The boss didn’t actually mention anything to me, so I guess I’ll find out when you do! Have fun figuring that out~!

Marisa flails around helplessly on the ground for a few seconds, then turns herself around, ready to beg for her life. She stops short, however, when she doesn’t see him. Even through the haze of her tears and her glasses being gone, she should still at least see a dark blob if he was still there. Cautiously, she feels around for her glasses, and looks around in confusion once she finds them.

Nothing.

No monster, no Mr. Mime, just her sitting dazed on the ground with Birnbrot giving her a concerned look from a comfortable distance. She’d say it’s almost like they were never even there, but the lingering cold on her neck and the damaged tree say otherwise. It was more they simply vanished into thin air.

Marisa was getting really sick of her Pokemon journey.

I have a huge procrastination problem but I tend to do well with a terrifying deadline around the corner, so the next ones should come quicker. Also they HAVE to be shorter, writing these thick updates is not easy.
In hindsight I probably could have cut the old man thing, but whatever.
I tried to draw a creepy Nurse joy for the Center scene but it just looked silly so I scrapped it.
Every story is enhanced by dead children, just ask Willy Wonka.
Oh also The Grin is here finally

anonymouse

the plastic king of castle polyethylene
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
any; they/them
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon spends far too much time in front of a laptop, someone unglue them.
into one of the dark deconstruction types of Isekai where the boobs and power fantasy are replaced by suffering.
GOD OKAY i generally try not to compose responses until i'm done reading but this FUCKING KILLED ME I AM SLAIN

ALSO THE GRIN IS A LONG BOI I WAS NOT READY

this is the mashup between Courage, Silent Hill, and IT that i had no idea i needed in my life until now. you're absolutely killing it over here. there are no words to articulate how psyched i am to see how your run goes. or how much i just want to give Marisa a hug.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)