• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode will be the last one featuring chapters from Call of the Divines and Solstice! Tune in to hear what the story's creators have to say about these audio adaptations of their runs.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes recieving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Nuzlocke Moves you have grown to love/hate thanks to Nuzlockes

Arie Kazami

Your everyday, ordinary guy
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Just an Ordinary Trainer that doing his Nuzlocke
Hate: Any counter freakin' moves, especially if the said user carrying STURDY(Hello Counter-using Sudowoodo) and recently, yea...I hate Endeavor and stats boosting moves if used against me.

Love: Thunderbolt and co. Good power and accuracy, who not to love?

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Hate: Rock Slide, Bide, and anything with Leer+Pursuit. Rock Slide is the deadliest move in my nuzlockes, with three kills and two near kills. Bide is always troublesome. And a Leer-Pursuit combo? Yeah, that pretty much guarantees death. You can't even run from it.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Great list over here, I'll second quite a few of the moves already mentioned:

Love: Acrobatics (for some reason never realized how useful it is and how many mons can learn it), Screen moves, Amnesia/Iron Defense (and generally non-damaging moves), Clamp, Brick Break, Headbutt, U-Turn/Volt-Switch, Pin-Missile (there are many more moves, but these are just some I remember learning to love thanks to Nuzlocking).

Hate (well, I don't really hate these moves, but they can sure be annoying at times): Hydro Blast (Surf is so damn common, and choosing this moves always backfired on me [or back-waterered...]), Fake Out (just annoying), Curse (when used against me), Counter, Cut (With a limited team, this moves always steals the move of the one pokemon you don't want it to), Rollout, Damaging moves that also make you switch out, Future Sight, Helping Hand (I know it's usually good for me, but I sick of seeing the AI using it for no reason), Thrash (have mercy on me Gyarados!).

sunburstblue

blue stars burn brighter
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Well, her Pokédex No. is #274, which is Nuzleaf. Could anything be more hilariously fitting for this forum?
Love: I used to fill all of my pokemon's move slots with attack moves and just power my way through every battle, but I have slowly come to appreciate defensive/status moves. Leech Seed has saved lives more times than I can count in the early game, for example.

Hate: Moves that hit multiple times!! Tail Slap, Fury Attack, Double Slap etc... especially when they crit.

Shenili

𓁹𓂋𓁹
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 12, 2019
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Water, ???
Love: Hyper Fang! If you get a Rattata, especially in the early game, it destroys EVERYTHING

Hate: Uproar. It's always strong enough to make my Pokémon faint but not strong enough to do anything past Roxanne, which is when you start using it.

PageEmperor

Currently busy grinding in my nuzruns and studying
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Just a guy with way to many ongoing Nuzlockes.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Of course, one of the randomised TMs I get in my Black 2 randomiser is Safeguard. Out of all the good moves out there. Because y'know, you will never know whether or not the opponent has a status move. Someone tell me how exactly Safeguard is useful because until then I believe it is most definitely one of the most useless things of all time.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
Hate multi-hit moves like Rock Blast and "Double"slap. It almost seems like they're rigged for the opponents to always get 5 hits, usually throwing a crit or two in as well, while it's a miracle if I get 3 hits. I literally never use them because there are always better options.

Love Thunder Wave-the paralysis comes in so handy! And it's one of the most reliable status moves.
Also, Toxic has come in handy so many times.

fractale

The Fan Favorute
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying
Pokédex Entry
this master of winged beasts knows almost everything about flying type pokemons that is known by the man. His rage is dangerous to others around him
love: stat up moves; i already liked those moves; but after a few nuzlockes, you learn to love overkilling your opponent pokemons

hate: the moves that can be used by wobbufett: they always guess rigth. safeguard prevents you to go for chip damage, that means your leech seed and toxic is practically useless.

counter and mirror force; i already hated those two moves and the BOT wobbufett ALWAYS guess what kind of move you will use rigth. and with that HP and double payback; its near gurantee that you will lose a pokemon you spent time to bond with.

and last but not least: DESTINY BOND: the bane of nuzlockers and mount pyre climbers for shadow ball. unless you somehow do a chip damage move( it may be a burn or poison, leech seed, or trap move damage) it will hurt A LOT.

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
Oh, so when Onix eats rocks and soil, it's fine, but when I do it, it's suddenly "an affront to nature" and "destroying Mrs. Crenshaw's zen garden"?
My favorite move has always been Ice Beam just because it makes otherwise scary Dragons (like the ones Lance, Drake, and Cynthia use) a non-issue.

I think the one I find most frustrating is Swagger. Confusion is super annoying, Swagger has huge distribution, and things that have Prankster like to use it.

PageEmperor

Currently busy grinding in my nuzruns and studying
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Just a guy with way to many ongoing Nuzlockes.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hate multi-hit moves like Rock Blast and "Double"slap. It almost seems like they're rigged for the opponents to always get 5 hits, usually throwing a crit or two in as well, while it's a miracle if I get 3 hits. I literally never use them because there are always better options.
Oh god, this. Everytime I try to use a multi hit move, it’s usually just 2 or 3 hits and once in a while more than that. But for the opponent, it’s usually the opposite, with it doing 5 times a lot and sometimes less.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
My favorite move has always been Ice Beam just because it makes otherwise scary Dragons (like the ones Lance, Drake, and Cynthia use) a non-issue.

I think the one I find most frustrating is Swagger. Confusion is super annoying, Swagger has huge distribution, and things that have Prankster like to use it.
Swagger is particularly infuriating since it makes the already aggravating confusion even worse. Plus, it's also extremely risky to use since confusion is not only fairly unreliable to begin with, but it also seems like most ingame mons use mainly physical attacks, so it's potentially just giving your enemy a buff. It's why I also prefer getting Lax natures to Gentle ones. Special Attackers are pretty rare to encounter ingame until way late.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
Hate confusion moves in general. Supersonic feels like it has 95% accuracy when the opponents use it, and don't even get me started on Golbats/Crobats with Confuse Ray. Meanwhile confusion never works out for me-I hardly ever see the opponents hit themselves (which is already idiotic as hell-what is the logic in that?) but I almost always hit myself 😒

Love: Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Flamethrower/Surf/Earthquake...basically all the 90-100 power/100 accuracy moves. Way more reliable than Blizzard/Thunder/Fire Blast/Hydro Pump/etc. considering a miss could doom your teammate. Especially since most of them have the same secondary effect as the stronger moves.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker and Nuzlocke Completionist
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
I recently really learned to love Nature Power. It is a really unique move that tells a story using a an interesting mechanism. Plus, it is actually pretty useful. I especially like its version since generation 6 (I used it all the time with my Ludicolo on my Alpha Sapphire game). Just check this table, are any of these moves really bad?

And it generally got better and better on every generation. It does have downsides as you obviously don't have much control over which move you'll get, and using Water type moves in the Water for example tends to be not very useful. Still, a move I really learned to love thanks to Nuzlockes.

io_

planning things is easier than writing them xdfbgn
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
preferably they/them please :) please don't be mad at me over it
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This friendly ghost lurks around sites of interest and tries to say hi. They may project a little too much onto their writing.
Moves I hate: Pursuit, Hidden Power. Oh boy, both of these. Pursuit is a terror on SET Mode which is what I always nuzlocke with now, and it has killed too many Pokemon for my liking. And fangames with Gym Leaders that have custom/fixed Hidden Power coverage used to be the bane of my existence. For once I am glad that Sw/Sh removed both of these moves ;p

Other moves include: Counter! Responsible for a fair few deaths and nearly took my Heracross in the Elite 4. Thankfully she had the Focus Sash, which left her at 1 HP, but I'd forgotten that I'd put it on her so this nearly gave me a heart attack.

Moves I love: Bite is really good and often flinches when I get my hands on it. Strangely, I've come to really like Flash after using it to troll the League with my BrightPowder/Confuse Ray/Taunt Umbreon. When your Pokemon has an empty movepool and TMs are scarce, you have to take all you can get ;P

antingaround

Nicole
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pokémon Type
Normal, Poison
Pokédex Entry
Takes plenty of siestas, somewhat of a clown, impetuous and silly
Moves I hate: whirlpool and fire spin. ah, classic. Nothing beats having your mons die by watching them slowly get consumed by trapping moves... and when I use it, i always miss! so unfair.

Moves I love: substitute breaks the AI. it's so unfair. of course, we gotta call out our homies recover, roost, swords dance, and nasty plot for being absolute staples in my runs.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
Aside from the standard options from both categories...

Hate: Take Down. In my hands, it does too little damage to justify a move with recoil. In the opponent's hands, every friggin' Lillipup and its evos do way too much damage because of this one move.

Love: Skill Swap. You gotta know your abilities and match-ups, but, if you do, it can cause some delicious cheese against the opponent. Most mons with immunity abilities (except Levitate) tend to use moves of the same typing they are immune to. So, a quick Skill Swap will quickly nerf their effectiveness and sometimes even force the A.I. to actually start switching Pokemon.

Also, Protect. Again, gotta know your movesets a bit so the A.I. won't happen to Sword Dance or something when you use it. But otherwise, on the smarter A.I. opponents, you can use it to predict their next move and see if you need to switch or something. Especially handy in set mode runs, Nuzlocke or no.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
U-turn and Volt Switch are really cool on Set mode. Especially if you're slow since you bring in something safely guaranteed. I really like Drain Punch and Giga Drain post-gen 4 as well, healing and attacking at the same time is always nice, even if you don't ban healing items like I have been doing recently. I swear I give Drain Punch to everything that learns it once I reach Wyndon. Protect as above is great for scouting, but also Leftovers healing turns. Set up moves are excellent too, but some of the sweeps are a lot harder to pull off if you can't heal every other turn in order to get two or three of them in.

Attract is a pain in the ass. It's meant to be 50% but I swear I just get trolled and get infatuated 5 turns in a row. I don't even bother using it since I'm not too fond of hax strategies. Only takes an untimely crit or the enemy attacking when you need them not to in order for the plan to be completely ruined. Sleep is the exception, but even then I don't use Hypnosis much since it misses way too much, even compared to Sleep Powder.

Perpetually Underleveled

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 6, 2020
Love: Encore, this thing is just so versatile and has saved me against difficult battles a lot. You can get a Pokemon into a non-attacking move, set up something like Sucker Punch that is easy to work around, or be willing to take a hit to force it into something one of your other Pokemon can safely take.

pinkshellos

oh man oh beans oh m
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 23, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Flying
Pokédex Entry
A timid Pokémon typically found in groups. The only thing that motivates her more than companionship is food.
Love: Reflect, SHADOW BALL (ran it on my Raticate in a Fire Red run and she kicked so much ass), and any sleep-inducing move, they tend to save my ass often.

Hate: Focus Energy. Bugsy. Need I say more? Also Hyper Bean. I will never forgive Lance.

... Both of my most hated moves have their roots in the concept of critical hits. The bane of a nuzlocker’s existence, huh?

Season

Formally known as White Chaos.
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2020
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him/his
Pokémon Type
Grass, Poison
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is the Unovan regional form of the Pokémon White Chaos, shrugging the Dark/Psychic typing in favor of a Grass/Poison persona.
I've been using Rest in my Nuzlockes lately and wow, what a great move. I knew it would be good in a pinch in situations where you'd have the Chesto Berry or Natural Cure, but even when you don't have something to combo off it, it's incredible in No Potions runs. Do you have a relatively bulky Pokemon that could sweep something but are afraid of it missing a bunch? Rest has you covered. That's what I did when I only had a Sandslash to face Surge with. I was certain I could beat him, but Double Team was troubling, but Rest made that a non-factor. While Surge could win if I missed a couple times through Quick Attacks, by having Rest, I could always make sure I was at an appropriate amount of HP. It also doubles up as allowing a Pokemon to be a status sponge. Up against a notorious paralyzing or poisoning Pokemon? Send out your Rest mon and go to bed if things get dire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)