• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Six of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode continues our exploration of the new stories, and in our discussion segment we tackle more of the planning process!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Screenshot Hoenn General Commentary Mon Matching Colors to Limit Break! - A Pokémon Ruby Breaklocke

Thread Description
The level cap increases the more Pokémon are released! (Last update: 4/21)

Ciel

Everybody! JUMP!
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 19, 2020
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Water
Hello again, and welcome to my first ever documented Nuzlocke, and what I believe is my... fifth attempt at doing Nuzlocke in general!

After some good pondering about what kind of rules I should follow for my first documented Nuzlocke challenge, I finally decided on making my own. The result was this (hopefully) original set of rules that is somewhat based on the concept of... Limit Break.

Made by me, yay! (Apologies if it's too big, though)

I'm not going to assume that everyone here knows about the term, so let me give you a brief explanation of what it is about: Limit Break is a mechanic commonly seen in gacha games, where the player can combine an specific unit with a copy of itself (or just use up a bunch of required items, in some cases), in order to raise the former's level cap.

I know it sounds kind of difficult to add it literally to the ruleset, as the odds of finding the same Pokémon on two different routes is quite slim, even when counting the first few routes and/or if the run is actually randomized. This is why I said it was "loosely" based, as I'm adapting the concept into something much more... doable and entertaining, as well as still quite challenging.

I won't waste anymore time with this lengthy introduction, so let me finish this up by thanking you for giving my challenge a try. I promise this will be a fun read, and that you won't regret giving me a chance!

1. Do not faint: If a Pokémon losses all of its HP and faints, then said Pokémon must be released immediately. If I'm in middle of a dungeon, that means I must get out of there and return to the nearest Pokémon Center, regardless of how close I am to finish it.

2. First come, first serve: Only the first Pokémon that appears in the route can be caught. If I or the Pokémon flees, or if it faints, the route must be skipped.
2a. Duplicates are okay: The first Pokémon to appear will be valid, even if it is a duplicate.​
2b. Shiny are special: If an encounter is a Shiny, it can be caught regardless of whether I already captured something else in the same route, and if I didn't, then it doesn't count towards the count for that route.​
3. The Poke Ball I needed: The aforementioned rules only get into play after I receive the first batch of Poke Balls.

4. Your name will be: All of the Pokémon I catch have to be nicknamed. If I somehow miss this step, the Pokémon must be boxed until I get to the Name Rater.

5. Who has time to heal: I cannot use healing items during battle, only outside of them. Using other items is fine, however.

6. PC is broken: I cannot change my current party with any Pokémon in the PC, unless someone in the team faints and gets boxed, in which case, a random Pokémon in the box will be added to the team afterwards!

Every Pokémon I catch in this challenge will start out with a Limit Break of 0. Limit Break is, in short, a count that determines the maximum amount of levels a Pokémon can obtain at any given time. For instance, if a Pokémon has a LB of 0, its maximum level will be of 10 and it cannot go over it. If it does, that Pokémon won't be able to participate in more battles until it somehow gets its LB count raised, since for every LB above 0, their current cap will increase by 5.

There are two ways to raise the LB count of a Pokémon:

1. When I catch a Pokémon that shares its typing (its primary typing, if either or both have two types) with a current member of my team,, then a decision must me made: either the Pokémon I just caught is released right away, or it can also replace the Pokémon on my team it shares its type with.
1a. If the newly caught Pokémon is released, then the member of my team it shares its type with receives a single (1) LB. For example, let's say I've a (LB 0) Lv. 10 Mudkip in my team and I catch a... Wailmer, then release that Wailmer; Mudkip will receive a LB in return, increasing its level cap from 10 to 15, allowing it to get more levels.​
7b. If the newly caught Pokémon instead replaces the member of my team it shares its type with, the replaced teammate will be released instead, granting the new teammate a single (1) LB, plus any number of LB the old replaced member had. For example, if I had a (LB 6) Swampert and I catch... another Wailmer, and then I replace Swampert with that Wailmer; Swampert will be released, and Wailmer will receive a LB in return, plus another 6 inherited from Swampert.​
8. If a Pokémon with any amount of LB faints and, afterwards, I catch another Pokémon from its same evolutionary line, that new Pokémon will start out with half of the fainted teammate (rounded down, with a minimum of 1), rather than at 0. For example, if I had a (LB 6) Swampert who faints, and then I catch a Mudkip, that Mudkip will start out with 3 LB, inherited from the fainted Swampert.

And... just a last thing. This challenge will be done on a randomized Pokémon Ruby version, and these are the options I checked:
• Starter, Trainer and Wild Pokémon are completely randomized, and so are their abilities and learnsets!
• TMs are similarly randomized, and going by what I mentioned above, the compatibility is also completely randomized!
• Trades are completely randomized as well, including their nicknames and IVs!
• Last but not least, Running Shoes Indoors and Randomize Catching Tutorial were checked.

Alright, now that should be it for the introduction.

Now... Game start!

• Update #1 (4/20) - Right below!
• Update #2 (4/21) - Here!

I've tried everything to make them look bigger without having to edit each of these images, so apologies for the ant size! >.<

As a fun fact of sorts, this will be the first time I play Pokémon Ruby. I've only played Pokémon Sapphire and Emerald, but never Ruby, so (although randomized) this ought be a relatively new experience!

I... actually think I've never heard someone call Birch that. They call him Professor, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Another fun fact: I've never used Plusle or Minum once before. Let's pray that the Pokémon I get are first timers for me!

Ironically enough, you never unravel any of the mysterious about the Pokémon of this specific generation... C'mon, Birch.

Alright, character selection time!

... Except that I already had an idea of who I was going to pick.

Alright guys, here we go!

Y'know. I've always wondered why I was told to go on the back of the moving truck. Like, why Jack didn't get in the wooden table with Rose? Same kind of question.

And mom comes out of the house even though I didn't take a minute, or even more than 10 seconds, to get off the truck. Maybe she was already there and I came here alone?

So many questions, too little answers. Thank you, Game Freak.

Mom is also quite the savage when she wants to. I guess this is why Norman married her. Only such a savage could handle him and vice versa.

... Perhaps this is why she decided to have me go inside the back of the truck? It was an attempt at making me submit to her motherly iron grip?

Shudder

Potion time, and friendly reminder that I cannot use those during a battle!

And the time is set. Now our berries won't stay in the limbo of time forever, to never grow or wither...

Mom please stop bullying me. I only have like 10 years!

By the way, I forgot to screenshot my mom telling me to visit Birch's house. Oops!

... I mean, I'd act the same way if a random kid suddenly barged into my house like nobody's business.

Sorry ma'am, I don't think your son can handle such a savage girl as myself.

I really wish I knew how to resize images directly on the forum; this is supposed to be a small, Discord emote

Again, why am I allowed to barge into people's houses and bedrooms without knocking again?

... In fact, why do rooms in the game don't have doors? The only doors are the entrance doors, but I've never seen doors inside their houses.

What? Does Whitney not exist? What about Misty? Flannery? Winnona? ROXANNE? HELLO?

Alright, ignore me, I don't care.

... Idopleaseanswermyquestionyoupieceof-

Why yes, I'd love-

I-...

... MOM! THE NEIGHBOR'S KID IS BULLYING ME!!

Mandatory screenshot. Culture always comes first and foremost!

Yeah, I can hear them too.

Mister, why don't you have a Pokémon with you? Why that kid from before doesn't let me go outside the town without a Pokémon, but he lets an adult that fears Poochyena do so?

Sigh

Alright, so these are our choices for a starter! It's time to take several minutes to think hard and well about the best Pokémon to take in this adventure.

Birch: HELP! HELP ME!

Yeah, yeah. Be quiet as I pick the right starter, okay?

Dewong it is, and it only took me an hour to choose!

... What was I supposed to be doing again?

Oh, right.

These aren't at all the moves I was expecting. They're better than nothing, I guess?

That's a pretty nice ability, alright! If I had Protect, I'd actually use that in combination with Speed Boost to outspeed and sleep the opposing Pokémon in my second turn. Gotta keep this in mind.

Good thing I didn't pick Venonat. :psyduck:

Oh, and I missed my own Rock Slide, by the way.

Fortunately, I didn't miss the next two!

You don't need to thank me at all, Birch~!

ItotallydidnotforgetIhadtosaveyou

Black screen of transition, I summon thee!

Yes?

It's natural to be good at Pokémon if you father is a Gym Leader, don't sweat it~!

Keeppraisingmetho

And we officially received the first Pokémon of the challenge!

Welcome to the team, Veloz!

Veloz, because it has Speed Boost, which means it's a fast seal, and fast in Spanish means Veloz-...

... I'm bad with names, alright? >.<

No.

I said no!

... No?

... Yes.

Sigh

I'm really bad at transitioning, too.

I'm also happy to see you~!

Notreallyno

I already know what your Pokémon is, dear! Your skills are nothing before my future sight capabilities!

Alex? Didn't you say your name was Brendan just minutes ago?

I guess if he has troubles remembering female Gym Leaders, then he definitely would have troubles remembering his own name, too. Poor guy.

W-Wait. I thought he was going to pick Venonat.

... Torchic wasn't the one in the middle, right?

... Oops.

Thank you for not missing that, Veloz. I don't want to know that that thing has to hit you.

I forgot to screenshot because I didn't expect it, but that Swalot spent the maximum amount of turns asleep, oh my lord. I'm going to lose this run to hax, I'm calling it now.

Clenches butt and grits teeth

You're a disappointment, son. Give me back my suspense!

What is going on with him? Why is he trying to intimidate Veloz so much?

Well, that was easy. I hope karma isn't going to claim my good luck here later in the run...

I know right? I already like Veloz a lot, and honestly, I think he likes me too.

Black screen!

Sup.

I still want my suspense back!

Hey, thanks...

Iamdefinitelysellingthislater

You mean these?

... Unless you actually gave me a single Poké Ball.

He didn't. Phew.

I think this is a nice place to end the first update. I didn't get to show much of the challenge's special mechanics yet, but I definitely will in the next one... hopefully!

Also, remember that Veloz currently has a LB of 0, which means his level cannot go over 10!

I hope you enjoyed this first update, and I also hope we meet again next time! Until then~!

Last edited:

Jackdaw991

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
I find this interesting. I'm a tad confused on the whole level thing in the special rules, but hey, you'll explain throughout the run. Kudos.

HardlyStellar

internet?
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 18, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her, They/Them
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Stella bores her opponents to sleep when she feels intimidated. She also possesses an unlimited amount of cosmic power she's too lazy to use.
Loving the commentary going along with the run! I'm not 100% sure about how the special rules work, but I'm staying for the writing alone! Good luck on your run. Also, love the fact that you're running this on Ruby instead of Emerald. I don't know, it gives it a nice touch.

Ciel

Everybody! JUMP!
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 19, 2020
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Water
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know I shouldn't be posting again without updating properly (I think), and I apologize for this, but I can't ignore the commentaries about the rules being hard to fully understand!

I'm sorry for that! I completely forgot to double check them, and I didn't realize they were kind of a mess, so I edited them a bit in order to make stuff more clear. Yeah, I'd have just wait for the moment to arise in the run to explain, but I somehow feel that would be wrong to do... I really hope you understand and, once again, sorry for not explaining things properly from the start. >.<

Without further ado, please wait patiently for the next update and, if you have specific doubts about my rules, feel free to ask and I'll make sure to answer them on the subsequent update!

sugar heart

nono morikubo is a qt
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/they
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Normal
Pokédex Entry
hello, i like idols.
oh wow. that is some ruleset you have there. hopefully you don't lose your mind releasing all those pokemon just to raise level caps, cause what if you release too many pokemon...?

Jackdaw991

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
That makes a lot more sense to me thank you! I hope the randomizer is kind to you otherwise this may be the worst challenge (for you) ever XD

Ciel

Everybody! JUMP!
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 19, 2020
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Water
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yesterday, while I was doing the quiz for the team placement, I accidentally found out how does one edits images in these forums. It honestly was much more easier than I expected, given that I really thought it was a code command and not a direct interaction with the images in question.

I feel kinda dumb for not having found out about that during the first update, to be honest.
Additionally, and after seeing a couple others screenshots threads from other people, I realized that maybe the size of mine was just the average…

I... really have a lot to learn. >.<

Loving the commentary going along with the run! I'm not 100% sure about how the special rules work, but I'm staying for the writing alone! Good luck on your run. Also, love the fact that you're running this on Ruby instead of Emerald. I don't know, it gives it a nice touch.
Thanks! I'm trying my best to be entertaining to you guys, and I'm glad it does show!

Also, I know what you mean. Ruby (and Sapphire) has quite a bunch of differences with Emerald, but the ones that are more visual probably make stuff look... new, in a way? Y'know, since the font is different and that. :P

oh wow. that is some ruleset you have there. hopefully you don't lose your mind releasing all those pokemon just to raise level caps, cause what if you release too many pokemon...?
Honestly, I'm more worried about not finding enough Pokémon to raise level caps... Although, if I were to wipe later down the line, like at the league, I guess I would be pretty screwed. We'll worry about that when we get there, if we do get there!

That makes a lot more sense to me thank you! I hope the randomizer is kind to you otherwise this may be the worst challenge (for you) ever XD
Don't worry, I made sure to read the contract before attempting this crazy, balance-lacking run! If I end up suffering, I can't hold it against the randomizer, because I knew into what I was getting into! XD

Thank you for the replies and for giving me your support! You're the best, guys!

We back online, guys! You can't believe how much I missed you all! I had to spent the last... god, I don't even know how long!

I just know that I spent a long time, frozen in time, staring into Alex's face. Talk about fates worse than death itself.

Going back to more sane commentary, did you know that it took me several years to realize that you could actually go talk directly to your mom? I always walked forward and let her talk to me instead.

It wasn't until I, like, tried to go in front of her and, would you know that, it was possible!

You say that, and yet you never gave me a Pokémon when we were back in Johto because...?

Remember when Running Shoes weren't a thing and you had to wait till you got to, like, the third or fourth city in order to get a bike?

Yeah, me neither.

It was a joke! A joke! I did play the previous generation, c'mon!

And we're free to go, at last. See ya, mom.

And our first Pokémon is...!

waterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwaterwater

thisisnotwater

Memento was a Gen 3 move?

... Well, f-

I'm going to need as many as I can get, just in case another starter-class Pokémon appears.

Those things have a pretty tight catch rate, so I can't be stingy with Poké Balls this early in the game.

... Or at any point, for that matter.

This is Route 103's encounter. What's with this game? I simply wanted a normal Pokémon I could catch easily!

Sigh

21 attempts, but I of course cannot waste *all* of these balls in a single Pokémon, can I?

... I mean, I can, definitely, but this is a Nuzlocke, and doing that kind of stuff so early on will definitely kill the challenge. Let's give it... 10 attempts, alright?

First attempt-

OH FOR THE LOVE OF-

-

Inhales

Second attempt-

Yeah, no.

The third is the charm, get me something I can actually catch!

YES!

YES!

I like your aptitude, Linda. Let's see what you got.

The ability is kinda meh, but it has its uses, I guess?

And these two were the only moves it used in the battle. I wasn't expecting much, honestly, since she *is* a first stage Pokémon.

Now, training montage-

This is going to be a painful, short grinding.

The results of their training are here!

I honestly would've liked to train Linda a bit more, but 10 is my limit until I find another Dark-type Pokémon to Limit Break her.

Also, neither of them learned any new moves.

First (real) battle of the run!

Clenches butt

It was better than the first (false) battle, at least.

That Pupitar knew Extrasensory, and I couldn't help but imagine that short in American Dad where the psychic guy with no arms or legs just... beats up a bunch of people using only his psychic powers. Pokémon always makes me remember weird stuff.

How much money do you want to be that this guy has, at least, a Bug-type Pokémon?

Uh-oh.

Lovely Kiss FTW.

And Linda's first learned move is kinda disappointing. Whelp.

Better than Constrict, I guess.

Linda's first kill!

Also, that Mawile also knew a move that could damage Veloz for SE damage! ... It was Needle Arm and did 0, though. In fact, it was the only damaging move it had.

So, hear me out. You and I both know that if I keep getting into battles with trainers so carelessly, I'll end up getting Veloz to his cap and, honestly, that's no good.

Instead, I'm going to skip the last two trainers of the route, and get directly to Petalburg, then go catch something in the next route as soon as the Wally event is over (and maybe at the forest, too)

Is that okay with you?

... Why am I asking for the viewer's permission? This is *my* run!

Free berries-

!

nononononononononononononononononononono-

... Wait! This isn't a vanilla randomized run! It doesn't have Explosion. Phew.

Uneventful.

... How did we get into this situation?

Ah, yeah, the Meganium has been sucking my health with Leech Seed and hitting me with Volt Tackle. Veloz just can't get a break.

Linda saves the day. Good girl.

All that for a single Potion.

... Worth it.

Sup, dad.

Actually, I'm going to become a professional mobile gamer. Training Pokémon is something from the past. You need to catch up with the times, boomer.

... Yikes, I'm not saying any of that again. Yuck.

Sick boy barges into the Gym.

I wonder. He went into the Gym to ask the leader for a Pokémon, and yet he had the luck to have Norman standing at the very entrance. What would he have done if that wasn't the case?

In fact, what is Norman doing at the entrance of the Gym?

Sure, why not.

Sure, why not. (x2)

I really hope he doesn't keep that Slakoth for his main team, or we're going to suffer a lot with Slaking.

Also, dad, that isn't a Zigzagoon. Is age already starting to affect your head?

Also, also, that Mareep knew tackle. What are the odds that a Pokémon actually knows a randomized move they naturally have at that level?

Good job, boy.

IrandomizedthispartcauseIwantedtoseeeithersidefaintcomeongame

Audience applauses

I mean, I hardly did anything, but sure thing.

Bye. We're probably not seeing for a long, long time, but take care, kiddo.

Wait, no! Dad! It was a joke! I don't even have a phone to play games, c'mon!

Oh, right.

Cue me coming back to the Gym with a bunch of Lv. 10 Pokémon because I couldn't Limit Break them

And I think this is a good point to stop for this update. I'll go see what I can catch on the next routes in the next (x2) update. I... think I also need to go get a dictionary and learn some more words. Yeah.

I'll also add a little extra section where you can see the state of my team, just in case you've forgotten how many LB they have at the start and at the end of an update.

I don't have much else to add, I feel, so I'm just going to thank you guys, again, for the support, and bid you farewell for the time being. Until we meet again!

Lv. 9 Veloz (LB 0 - Level Cap: 10)
Lv. 8 Linda (LB 0 - Level Cap: 10)

Tailsimp

A Universally Under-Rested University Imp
🎇Contributor
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tailsimp: The Impish Pokemon. Despite being quiet and reserved, this pokemon is usually very happy to talk and is always excited to help out!
I'm really enjoying this run so far! Your commentary is really fun to read, and the little sound clips you add in are funny as heck XD.
What? Does Whitney not exist? What about Misty? Flannery? Winnona? ROXANNE? HELLO?
Apparently not. Nor does Erika, Sabrina, Agatha, Lorelie, Karen, or Clair. Not a single one of them!
Yeah, I can hear them too.
This video never fails to make me laugh and it was even better here! 🤣
You're a disappointment, son. Give me back my suspense!
I mean in fairness, the first rival battle hardly ever has suspense. Just a bunch of scratches and growling.
Remember when Running Shoes weren't a thing and you had to wait till you got to, like, the third or fourth city in order to get a bike?

Yeah, me neither.
Please don't ever remind me of this ever again. *shudders* What a dark time....
I admit I don't fully understand your ruleset, but it seems really interesting. I can't wait to see more of it in action as we go along!

sugar heart

nono morikubo is a qt
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/they
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Normal
Pokédex Entry
hello, i like idols.
looks like your luck isn't that good huh? well, it's only the beginning of the game, things can only go up from here! ...right? right?? and a lot of people seem to forget memento moment rururururu existed back in gen 3 lol (even me)

Jackdaw991

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
You have 4 encounters before Roxanne. Please, please I hope you get SOMETHING ANYTHING that will let you level. This team doesn't look great at the moment to beat Roxanne (even if she is random :P )

Electro

Dr. Ultimate Procrastinator Extreme
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fighting
Don't get good encounters, beat the league with a level ten team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)